Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Angela Bassett needs to get over it!

Have some humility. First acting like Holly Hunter stole an Oscar from you and now acting like JLC robbed you blind. Take your bitter party of one and head to your corner booth at The Olive Garden.

JLC out worked and out hustled you all season long. She showed true fire, spirit and determination. She went from being reduced to yogurt commercials to winning an Oscar. Now that's a Champion!

by Anonymousreply 474December 26, 2023 5:08 PM

Did she say or do something? I haven't seen anything about Angela acting bitter.

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2023 3:21 PM

Angela is a narcissistic diva but I find JLC fucking unbearably smug, self-righteous, and tiresome. And NOT a diva.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2023 3:21 PM

The funny part is we know what role and movie Angela was nominated for back then. But do we know what Holly Hunter was nominated for?

I had no idea Holly won an Oscar either.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2023 3:22 PM

[quote]Did she say or do something?

She did the thing

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2023 3:23 PM

Until this year, I thought Angela Bassett had retired decades ago 🤔

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2023 3:24 PM

The Piano is a classic

If you don’t know that, you’re young and/or ignorant

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2023 3:24 PM

R6 The Piano was an excruciating moviegoing experience. And I love Holly Hunter and Harvey Keitel.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2023 3:26 PM

R6 I’ve never heard of that movie in my life.

But I do know “What’s Love Got To Do With It” because it’s a movie people still watch and can quote and is still on TV and streaming services.

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2023 3:27 PM

Come on, R6. Hate it or love it, The Piano is a very well-known film. Anna Paquin won an Oscar for her performance in it. It made her a star.

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2023 3:30 PM

Jane Campion did a good job with The Piano. Casting Harvey Keitel and Holly Hunter, not so good.

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2023 3:34 PM

OH! When I searched it, I recognize Holly’s character from the photos. I’ve never seen it but I remember Holly with that hairstyle.

I was 6 when that movie was released. Was this the movie that inspired Jodie to make “Nell”?

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2023 3:34 PM

[Quote]Did she say or do something?

No, she didn't and that's the point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2023 3:35 PM

r9 And how long did that stardom last, eh?

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2023 3:36 PM

R3 I don’t know The Piano. Ha! Stick to Housewives Of… R8 People quote. What’s Love Got To Do With It. No they don’t.

by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2023 3:36 PM

Shut the fuck up cracker. AB should have had several Oscars by now.

by Anonymousreply 15March 13, 2023 3:37 PM

R14 Yes they do. Whats Love Got To Do With It is always on TV / streaming somewhere unlike The Piano.

by Anonymousreply 16March 13, 2023 3:38 PM

“Eat the cake Anna Mae” is a pretty famous quote / scene.

You sound like you’re 800 years old.

by Anonymousreply 17March 13, 2023 3:40 PM

I didn’t think JLC deserved it either.

by Anonymousreply 18March 13, 2023 3:40 PM

In that moment, I think Angela Bassett was disappointed/stunned. She probably thought she was going to win. Thus, her reaction (or lack thereof). I was hoping she would win.

by Anonymousreply 19March 13, 2023 3:43 PM

JLC is an insufferable tranny and her pretentious husband hasn't done anything of note since Waiting for Guffman.

by Anonymousreply 20March 13, 2023 3:43 PM

[quote]But do we know what Holly Hunter was nominated for?

A horrid movie where she doesn’t speak one fucking word.

by Anonymousreply 21March 13, 2023 3:43 PM

I thought Angela would win as well. I think she was in shock when JLC was called. Shit Jamie was in shock.

Angela pissed all over Halle Berrys win back in the day anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2023 3:44 PM

Of the films nominated in the 1994 Oscars I'd say the best remembered are

Schindler's List (for obvious reasons)

Sleepless In Seattle (more so than Philadelphia)

The Age Of Innocence (more so than In The Name Of The Father)

The Remains Of The Day (more so than The Piano)

What's Love Got To Do With It (one of the best musical biopics, better than Walk The Line, Ray and Judy)

Jurassic Park and Mrs Doubtfire probably the two most popular films from that year.

by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2023 3:45 PM

R3, Holly Hunter won the Oscar, the BAFTA, the Golden Globe, the Cannes Film Festival Award, the LA Film Critics Award, the New York Film Critics Award, the Chicago Film Critics Award, the National Board of Review Award, etc., for "The Piano" in '93-'94. What did Angela Bassett win that awards season?

by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2023 3:48 PM

JLC won an Oscar. Good. Maybe she’ll sit down and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2023 3:48 PM

R13 She's still a star, dear, 30 years later:

True Blood X-Men Scream Almost Famous...to name a few

And still working today.

by Anonymousreply 26March 13, 2023 3:49 PM

Angela Bassett's performance as Tina Turner was excellent and had she lost to say, Jessica Lange in Blue Sky the next year, I would say she was robbed. But Holly Hunter was excellent in The Piano (my favorite film of 1993) and won everything that year -- all the critics' prizes, plus Best Actress at Cannes, the Golden Globe, and the Oscar. Bassett's sole major precursor was the Golden Globe in the separate Musical/Comedy category.

I do think it's silly to argue that a certain performer should have won because, 30 years later, their film has retained more of a fan base. A biopic of a beloved figure like Tina Turner is always going to be more accessible and appreciated by general audiences than an arthouse film like The Piano, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.

by Anonymousreply 27March 13, 2023 3:50 PM

I have never read anyone talk about The Remains of the Day outside of DL circles. Mike Nichols in general hasn’t held up well besides his early two hits.

by Anonymousreply 28March 13, 2023 3:50 PM

R12 I didn't notice that. Shady indeed.

by Anonymousreply 29March 13, 2023 3:51 PM

"The Piano" grossed $140 million worldwide on a minuscule budget, more than twice what the higher-budgeted "What's Love Got to Do With It?" made. It shared the Palme d'Or at Cannes with "Farewell My Concubine," is sometimes touted as the greatest film ever made by a woman director, and it entered the Criterion Collection last year. There's nothing obscure about it, then or now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2023 3:53 PM

[quote]She did the thing

She didn’t do the thing.

by Anonymousreply 31March 13, 2023 4:07 PM

What’s love got to do with it is famous because Tina Turner is/was famous. The “eat the cake Anna Mae” scene, like the rape scene and other elements, were fabricated for the movie. Angela didn’t even sing!

by Anonymousreply 32March 13, 2023 4:12 PM

Angela Bassett was tacky.

This whole "I DEMAND to be nominated/win!!!" thing is very unseemly.

by Anonymousreply 33March 13, 2023 4:16 PM

What’s Love was a typical biopic.

I remember laughing at her Buddhist chanting.

by Anonymousreply 34March 13, 2023 4:18 PM

[quote]I have never read anyone talk about The Remains of the Day outside of DL circles. Mike Nichols in general hasn’t held up well besides his early two hits.

It's shown fairly often on British tv. The book remains a classic and it's one of the few dramas of that era to cover the British aristocracy's Nazi sympathies.

by Anonymousreply 35March 13, 2023 4:23 PM

If we're going to nominate actors for spouting tripe in puerile Marvel movies, one might as well have nominated Joan Crawford for Trog.

by Anonymousreply 36March 13, 2023 4:24 PM

She was good in Waiting to Exhale but she wasn't even the best actress in it. Neither JLC nor Bassett gave an Oscar worthy performance this year. They both should be happy they were nominated.

by Anonymousreply 37March 13, 2023 4:25 PM

Angela Bassett gave a similar performance in Wakanda Forever to Ian McKellen in Lord Of The Rings. Did anyone complain about him getting a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 38March 13, 2023 4:25 PM

Mike Nichols planned to direct "The Remains of the Day," but ended up with a producing credit. James Ivory directed it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 13, 2023 4:25 PM

[quote] [R6] I’ve never heard of that movie in my life.

Well, if YOU'VE never heard of it, then it must be obscure, because the entire universe revolves around you.

by Anonymousreply 40March 13, 2023 4:26 PM

R38 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 41March 13, 2023 4:27 PM

I hate the way Angela Bassett and her fans especially act about this whole thing. If it was the other way around and Angela won, I know Jamie would've smiled and clapped for her. I don't know why she has to be so bitter and entitled, like she was owed the award. She'll probably get one for some arthouse film someday anyway, just not a Marvel movie.

And her fans bullying Jamie and saying nasty things about her, trying to turn this into an issue of race and nepotism. Jamie is a good actress and deserved the award. It is upsetting that this is perhaps the happiest moment of her professional life and they're going to try ruin it for her with their negativity and bitterness. They need to get over it. The award is hers and no amount of bellyaching will take it away.

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2023 4:27 PM

R21 Actually, she spoke a lot of words, just in her head. We hear her speak a lot.

by Anonymousreply 43March 13, 2023 4:33 PM

[quote]Angela Bassett was tacky. This whole "I DEMAND to be nominated/win!!!" thing is very unseemly.

It’s the typical black entitlement/victimhood mentality. “It was stolen from me!”

See also Viola Davis. See also Jada Pinkett Smith. See also Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 44March 13, 2023 4:33 PM

[quote]I have never read anyone talk about The Remains of the Day outside of DL circles. Mike Nichols in general hasn’t held up well besides his early two hits.

The Remains of the Day was not a Mike Nichols film, idiot.

He was originally attached. But it ended up being made by Merchant Ivory.

And it is a wonderful film, that, clearly, would have gone over your dizzy little head.

by Anonymousreply 45March 13, 2023 4:37 PM

Has Angela Bassett said anything about not winning the Oscar? Could someone link for me?

by Anonymousreply 46March 13, 2023 4:38 PM

You can’t “lose” anything you didn’t have in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 47March 13, 2023 4:39 PM

[quote] But I do know “What’s Love Got To Do With It” because it’s a movie people still watch and can quote and is still on TV and streaming services.

People quote Showgirls and Mommie Dearest…

by Anonymousreply 48March 13, 2023 4:41 PM

delish!

by Anonymousreply 49March 13, 2023 4:43 PM

She did look absolutely gorgeous and glamorous, carried herself like a true MOVIE STAR.

by Anonymousreply 50March 13, 2023 4:45 PM

R38 Both are dumb. So I spoke of it.

by Anonymousreply 51March 13, 2023 4:49 PM

R50 Now it's back to her network tv procedural.

by Anonymousreply 52March 13, 2023 4:49 PM

Oh, come on. Angela thought she DESERVED a Chadwick Boseman Memorial Oscar for her camp performance. Marvel was counting on it, yet again.

No more sob story handouts for Marvel and Chadwick Boseman.

by Anonymousreply 53March 13, 2023 4:49 PM

[quote]You can’t “lose” anything you didn’t have in the first place.

Tell that to Beyoncé’s delusional stans. She “earned” awards that were “stolen” by white people.

[quote]We’ve been here before. Beyoncé has stood in a cheering crowd while Beck (2015), Adele (2017), and now Harry Styles (2023) took an award that she had earned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 13, 2023 5:00 PM

If they really want to talk about racism, let's talk about how Till and The Woman King weren't nominated for anything. Danielle Deadwyler and Viola Davis should've been in the Best Actress category over Ana De Armas for that piece of shit, Blonde, and Andrea Risenborough.

by Anonymousreply 55March 13, 2023 5:01 PM

Bassett was the shade queen of the night!

by Anonymousreply 56March 13, 2023 5:03 PM

As if JLC wouldn't have been equally as shady had Angela won. That bitch probably would have had to be institutionalized right then and there.

by Anonymousreply 57March 13, 2023 5:05 PM

It's time the bitch did Broadway and weaseled her way into the Tony race.

by Anonymousreply 58March 13, 2023 5:05 PM

All Bassett did was sit there. She didn't flip off the camera. People are allowed to be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 59March 13, 2023 5:07 PM

Looks like the LSA bitter loser cunts have infested this thread. Hee!

by Anonymousreply 60March 13, 2023 5:09 PM

So much for "women supporting women". AB really bought into the narrative that she was the front runner. She only won the Golden Globe because the HFPA were trying to prove they weren't racist.

by Anonymousreply 61March 13, 2023 5:10 PM

R48 Two great movies!

Find me someone who has watched “The Piano” a hundred times.

by Anonymousreply 62March 13, 2023 5:11 PM

She’s a nasty miserable old cunt! She lost! Thank god!!!!

by Anonymousreply 63March 13, 2023 5:12 PM

Did Auntie's husband have a stroke at some point? Because the creep never smiles. Of course, he had a promising career once.

by Anonymousreply 64March 13, 2023 5:20 PM

Girls. Please. They’re both cunts.

by Anonymousreply 65March 13, 2023 5:22 PM

I hated the Piano and Holly Hunter’s performance reminded me of that weird Colleen Fenman character Gilda Radner played on SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 13, 2023 5:26 PM

The Remains of the Day is a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 67March 13, 2023 5:35 PM

Viola didn't deserve anything this year except a Razzie for her Michelle Obama performance. But they don't give Razzies for TV.

Angela was very ungracious and could have clapped. It's an award chosen by her peers. Her peers chose to give it to someone else. I remember at school they were announcing an award. They described the person without staring the name until the end. I was so sure it was me that I started to get up when they said "and the award goes to"... and they announced another name.

The only one who thought they deserved that award was my ego.

by Anonymousreply 68March 13, 2023 5:35 PM

JLC was basically selling glimpses of her penis in the campaign for her Oscar = why Bassett would be surprised JLC won is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 69March 13, 2023 5:37 PM

*stating

by Anonymousreply 70March 13, 2023 5:37 PM

I liked Angela's dress but I wish it had been a few shades darker, like eggplant instead of lilac.

by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2023 5:37 PM

It was bad form that she didn't stand and clap.

by Anonymousreply 72March 13, 2023 5:39 PM

I just don’t know where the “Angels Bassett should have had an Oscar by now” narrative came from. She was worthy of the one nomination she had before this year, and that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 73March 13, 2023 5:47 PM

Sherri Shepherd spoke about her disappointment in Angela not winning, since Oscar-rewarding roles are not readily available for Black actors and actresses. Who knows if she'll get another chance, unlike many of her White counterparts. That makes Angela's visible displeasure more understandable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 13, 2023 5:48 PM

[quote] If they really want to talk about racism, let's talk about how Till and The Woman King weren't nominated for anything.

Given how bad conditions are overall for Blacks in the United States, THOSE are your most pressing examples of racism?

You've got to get your priorities in life straighter, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 75March 13, 2023 5:51 PM

No. You entitled white men of privilege need to get over it.

You need to step aside and let only women of color address this matter. And how DARE you tell a woman of color how to respond or react. It is not your place. Stay in your lane.

Angela Bassett is a Queen. She was robbed of an Oscar as a means to uphold white mediocrity and keep women of color from eating at the table.

Jamie Lee should be ashamed. YOU should be ashamed.

You should remain silent on this issue. Issues re: women of color do not require your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 76March 13, 2023 5:52 PM

[quote] The Piano is a classic

And What's Love Got to Do with It isn't.

And Bassett is NOT the great actress she thinks she is. She's always the same in every movie, everywhere, all at once.

by Anonymousreply 77March 13, 2023 5:53 PM

Oh please. JLC won the Critic's Choice. It was not like AB absolutely knew she had it in the bag. She was ungracious last night and she has been ungracious over the years. It clearly has not won her any fans in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 78March 13, 2023 5:53 PM

r76 = LSA loser

by Anonymousreply 79March 13, 2023 5:54 PM

You have stated your boundaries clearly, r76! I will DO BETTER!

by Anonymousreply 80March 13, 2023 5:54 PM

R76 is Jada

by Anonymousreply 81March 13, 2023 5:55 PM

It's just an award. It's not real life or in any sense important.

by Anonymousreply 82March 13, 2023 5:56 PM

[quote]uphold white mediocrity and keep women of color from eating at the table.

Most women of color are morbidly obese so they’re clearly eating at some table.

by Anonymousreply 83March 13, 2023 5:57 PM

She didn't say anything against JLC's win, so far as I can tell; she just looked disappointed when she didn't win, as I would have too.

I don;t see what the problem is.

by Anonymousreply 84March 13, 2023 5:58 PM

R76 uh 2 of the 4 acting winners last night were...of color

They were Asian

by Anonymousreply 85March 13, 2023 6:00 PM

I'm sorry but I think I might have jinxed her with that thing.

by Anonymousreply 86March 13, 2023 6:00 PM

Angela Bassett's attitude was this year's slap.

by Anonymousreply 87March 13, 2023 6:00 PM

She was honest about losing it the last time, so it shouldn't be a surprise this time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 13, 2023 6:03 PM

R76 doesn't think Asians are "people of colour", R85.

by Anonymousreply 89March 13, 2023 6:04 PM

[quote] Did she say or do something? I haven't seen anything about Angela acting bitter.

She did nothing. THIS IS A RACE BAIT THREAD!

by Anonymousreply 90March 13, 2023 6:04 PM

People aren't allowed to be disappointed now??? Do you know that not everyone processes disappointment the same way? DL racists will find ANY reason to find fault with POCs.

by Anonymousreply 91March 13, 2023 6:12 PM

[quote] [R3], Holly Hunter won the Oscar, the BAFTA, the Golden Globe, the Cannes Film Festival Award, the LA Film Critics Award, the New York Film Critics Award, the Chicago Film Critics Award, the National Board of Review Award, etc., for "The Piano" in '93-'94. What did Angela Bassett win that awards season?

That was a time when performances by Black actors were routinely dismissed. It was not a reflection on the obvious merits Bassett's performance, in 1994 the Oscar nomination was it's own reward for a Black actor. Remember, Whoopi lost to Geraldine Page.

30 years later, Bassett had every reason to believe that SHE would receive the career achievement Oscar not JLC.

by Anonymousreply 92March 13, 2023 6:16 PM

Angela's performance in Wakanda Forever was overacted and hammy. I felt she was the least effective of the actors in that film. She has done good work, sure. But did she deserve an Oscar for this? No, no she did not.

FWIW I don't think JLC was the best supporting actress either. Should have gone to Kerry Condon or Stephanie Hsu.

JLC's role was funny and she went all in and I'm happy for her. Angela is a presence for sure, but that doesn't mean she deserves an Oscar for this. What she did by not standing and not clapping was tacky and low.

by Anonymousreply 93March 13, 2023 6:17 PM

[quote] I hate the way Angela Bassett and her fans especially act about this whole thing. If it was the other way around and Angela won, I know Jamie would've smiled and clapped for her. I don't know why she has to be so bitter and entitled, like she was owed the award. She'll probably get one for some arthouse film someday anyway, just not a Marvel movie.

No, she won't. "Sunset Boulevard" is not happening. Angela will never have another chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 13, 2023 6:26 PM

Fuck off, OP.

by Anonymousreply 95March 13, 2023 6:28 PM

Just stop. She looked a little sad, big deal. Happens a lot. When Burt Reynolds scowled over losing to Robin Williams--for a role that Burt COMPLAINED about--everyone kissed his ass about how sad it was he never got the statue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 13, 2023 6:36 PM

This thread is garbage. There isn't ONE thing in the linked video that suggests Bassett was disrespectful or bitter about losing. I like Bassett very much. Personally, I would rather see her win an actress Oscar, instead of a supporting award and I would like to see her win it for something more substantial than a character from a Marvel movie.

by Anonymousreply 97March 13, 2023 6:37 PM

Where is this sudden adulation for Bassett's career coming from ? She does not have the body of work to justify it.

by Anonymousreply 98March 13, 2023 6:37 PM

She’s a bitter black woman. Typical. Classic. It’s not about the color of your skin. It’s that another person did a better performance than you. Ughhhhhh!

by Anonymousreply 99March 13, 2023 6:40 PM

R98, Neither does Burt Reynolds. Or Jaime Lee Curtis. But they got the "overdue" narrative.

Angela was in Boyz in the Hood, Malcolm X, What's Love Got to Do With It, Strange Days, Waiting to Exhale, and both Black Panther films. She is an audience favorite. Lots of stars get that kind of adulation just from longevity.

by Anonymousreply 100March 13, 2023 6:41 PM

Who cares if she didn't stand for the old hag? She was disappointed big deal.

by Anonymousreply 101March 13, 2023 6:42 PM

[quote]It’s that another person did a better performance than you.

Absolute horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 102March 13, 2023 6:42 PM

[quote] So much for "women supporting women". AB really bought into the narrative that she was the front runner. She only won the Golden Globe because the HFPA were trying to prove they weren't racist.

And JLC only won the Oscar because she's a nepo baby and she was being rewarded for career achievement. She was not a standout in EEAAO, it was a routine sitcom performance. Stephanie Hsu gave a much stronger performance. JLC did NOT win because her performance merited an Oscar. She knows it, Angela knows it and the Academy knows it. JLC and Bassett were pitted against each other for a 'career achievement' Oscar and Bassett's career achievement is more impressive.

And I am a fan of both actors.

by Anonymousreply 103March 13, 2023 6:45 PM

R76 Mo'Nique, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Ariana DeBose, Regina King, Youn Yuh-jung, Lupita Nyong'o, Jennifer Hudson, and now Michelle Yeah have all won Oscars for acting within the last 17 years. Women of color most definitely have a seat at the table.

by Anonymousreply 104March 13, 2023 6:46 PM

R104 Autocorrect changed Michelle Yeoh's name, but the point still remains.

by Anonymousreply 105March 13, 2023 6:48 PM

It IS weird that Bassett doesn't have an Oscar. She was the next big thing when she first appeared on screen--but hasn't followed up with big roles. Viola Davis stole her thunder and all the roles she could have done well.

by Anonymousreply 106March 13, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote] Angela was in Boyz in the Hood, Malcolm X, What's Love Got to Do With It, Strange Days, Waiting to Exhale, and both Black Panther films. She is an audience favorite. Lots of stars get that kind of adulation just from longevity.

Unfortunately, none of those particularly scream "Oscar" to anyone,

by Anonymousreply 107March 13, 2023 6:49 PM

So long as any white person is nominated for any award in any category much less wins it, the Oscars are going to be considered racist.

by Anonymousreply 108March 13, 2023 6:50 PM

"The Piano" is an excruciating watch. It’s one of those movies middlebrow people say they are OBSESSED with, in order to seem intelligent and serious.

Watching it is like being struck on the temple continuously by a ball-peen hammer.

by Anonymousreply 109March 13, 2023 6:50 PM

Jamie Lee Curtis was GREAT in that movie. I totally thought she deserved the Oscar. On the other hand, Bassett just played her role as "I am regal."

Big Deal

by Anonymousreply 110March 13, 2023 6:51 PM

I didn’t see the marvel shitfest in question, nor did I see “Everything” yet. But does anyone think the Oscar is anything other than a farce by now?

by Anonymousreply 111March 13, 2023 6:52 PM

Isn't AB the highest paid actress on network television? That's a pretty soft pillow to sleep on at night.

by Anonymousreply 112March 13, 2023 6:52 PM

Stephanie Hsu 100% should have won it.

by Anonymousreply 113March 13, 2023 6:53 PM

"The Piano" won during the heyday of the art house film. It had a ton of buzz for everything from Jane Campion, a female New Zealand director to the child actress Anna Paquin who blew everyone away.

"What's Love Got To Do With It" the movie is nowhere near as well known as the actual song and if you Google it, a 2022 British comedy of the same name about an arranged marriage is what comes up first. The British film won some prizes at film festivals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 13, 2023 6:56 PM

Was anyone predicting she would win? Everyone knew JLC was the favorite. I like Angela but she seems a bit delusional if she was really expecting them to call her name. She was nominated because of warm feelings for Chadwick Boseman, the #oscarssowhite debacle, and for being a decent actress who was overdue for a nod. That's it. She basically played the mom in a super hero franchise. She's a fool if she thought she was getting an Oscar for that.

Remember when it was "an honor just to be nominated?" Seems like everyone these days is a sore loser.

by Anonymousreply 115March 13, 2023 6:59 PM

[quote] I just don’t know where the “Angels Bassett should have had an Oscar by now” narrative came from. She was worthy of the one nomination she had before this year, and that’s it.

She was WORTHY of several nominations for her 36 years of work, she only has two. In contrast, Jessica Chastain has 3 nominations and 1 Oscar with just 19 years in the business.

by Anonymousreply 116March 13, 2023 7:00 PM

Yeah even black people poke fun at angela’s over-acting. Keke Palmer does a funny impression of her, likewise Golden Brooks on “Girlfriends” spoofing her line readings in Waiting to Exhale.

by Anonymousreply 117March 13, 2023 7:02 PM

A fellow nominee taking the prize is not a "snub." It's an outcome, and one which 4 out of 5 nominees in every acting category experience every year.

by Anonymousreply 118March 13, 2023 7:03 PM

Stephanie Hsu outdid JLC in every way imaginable and was a standout rivaling Michelle. This award has nothing to do with actual acting.

by Anonymousreply 119March 13, 2023 7:05 PM

[quote] It IS weird that Bassett doesn't have an Oscar. She was the next big thing when she first appeared on screen--but hasn't followed up with big roles. Viola Davis stole her thunder and all the roles she could have done well.

No one stole Angela Bassett's roles or thunder. There is one role for every 5 Black actresses, and 5 roles for each white actress.

The trajectory of JLC's career is more perplexing -- white, rich and child of Hollywood royalty. Why was JLC begging for an Oscar at 64? She could have had Demi Moore's career 10 years before Demi Moore.

by Anonymousreply 120March 13, 2023 7:08 PM

[quote] It's just an award. It's not real life or in any sense important.

It's real for them. That Oscar means more money for a working actor.

by Anonymousreply 121March 13, 2023 7:10 PM

You mean Demi Moore's Oscar winning career, R120 ?

by Anonymousreply 122March 13, 2023 7:10 PM

Kerry Condon (who was excellent) or Hong Chau deserved the award more than Basset, Curtis, or Hsu.

by Anonymousreply 123March 13, 2023 7:12 PM

[quote] People aren't allowed to be disappointed now???

You don’t think the other nominees were disappointed they didn’t win? Cate looked disappointed yet clapped.

by Anonymousreply 124March 13, 2023 7:14 PM

It’s stupid to call The Piano a classic and not What’s Love Got to Do With It when the latter film has a way bigger following and audience since its release.

Only a snooty old white person who’s been out of touch with pop culture for 30 years would dismiss What’s Love Got to Do With It.

by Anonymousreply 125March 13, 2023 7:14 PM

R121 Only for up and coming or underappreciated actors. Some of those nominees are richer than God and have no problem getting good roles Oscar or not. It's just an ego thing for them.

by Anonymousreply 126March 13, 2023 7:15 PM

JLC played the game and won. The others could have done the same.

by Anonymousreply 127March 13, 2023 7:17 PM

R76 is just a troll. I doubt he’s even black.

by Anonymousreply 128March 13, 2023 7:20 PM

We have to always remember that a lot of white DL members that were full blown adults during Jim Crow.

by Anonymousreply 129March 13, 2023 7:21 PM

I agree with R115 and R82. As the years go by, I'm increasingly impatient with the winners--and that's most of them--who act as though an Oscar validates their entire lives and identities as well as their careers. It's just not that important! All that crying, trembling, and shouting up to heaven to their dead parents is absolutely bizarre if you understand that this is just an award for the best performances in the movies of a given year. It means almost nothing in reality.

I want to try to find some old Academy Awards presentations on YouTube if they have them, the ones from back in the day when awards were given out at a luncheon and the winners went up to the podium to say thank-you then went back to their seats.

by Anonymousreply 130March 13, 2023 7:22 PM

The best performance in WLGTDWI was Laurence Fishburne anyway. I always wondered why the original song and the movie didn’t have a question mark at the end.

by Anonymousreply 131March 13, 2023 7:23 PM

Tina turner getting beat vs holly hunter getting beat. Such fun! But ok! Let’s celebrate abused women R125 You mean educated right?

by Anonymousreply 132March 13, 2023 7:25 PM

Angela's disappointment is downright understated compared to Helena Bonham Carter in the link at R96. She looks ready to punch the person next to her.

People are allowed to be bummed.

by Anonymousreply 133March 13, 2023 7:25 PM

Jessica Lange losing to Sally Field in R96 is a hoot

by Anonymousreply 134March 13, 2023 7:28 PM

[quote] You mean Demi Moore's Oscar winning career, [R120] ?

Her lucrative, high-profile career. Neither JLC or Demi are Oscar-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 135March 13, 2023 7:29 PM

A palate cleanser!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 13, 2023 7:29 PM

I can’t tell if R76 is serious or satire? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 137March 13, 2023 7:36 PM

R133 It doesn’t matter.

Look in any Oscar thread on DL. White people do not want black people at the Oscars. They think only white people deserve them and will dismiss the idea that most white nominated talent is mediocre although they have multiple threads about “undeserved Oscars” by category!

by Anonymousreply 138March 13, 2023 7:36 PM

[quote] [R121] Only for up and coming or underappreciated actors. Some of those nominees are richer than God and have no problem getting good roles Oscar or not. It's just an ego thing for them.

That's very few, and doesn't apply to women. An Angela Bassett or JLC or Michelle Yeoh can expect a huge bump in their asking rate and it will impact how they are billed in a movie -- an Oscar gets them immediate second billing to the 31 year old white male Oscar-less star of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 139March 13, 2023 7:37 PM

Did you miss my next sentence R124 ? Do you need an interpreter?

[quote] Do you know that not everyone processes disappointment the same way?

by Anonymousreply 140March 13, 2023 7:41 PM

I don't think Demi Moore's career is anything to aspire to. She had a decent run for about 10 years then nothing for the past 25.

And not a single Oscar, or any major awards.

JLC is fine, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 141March 13, 2023 7:41 PM

Sorry R139 did that happen to Mira Sorvino? Or Halle Berry?

by Anonymousreply 142March 13, 2023 7:42 PM

[quote] and will dismiss the idea that most white nominated talent is mediocre

That’s simply not true. Many have said JLC should not have won. Others have stated Austin Butler and Fraser shouldn’t have been nominated as examples.

by Anonymousreply 143March 13, 2023 7:46 PM

[quote] Viola Davis stole her thunder and all the roles she could have done well.

Because Miss Viola wasn't afraid to deglamorize herself whereas Miss Bassett consistently chose roles where she looked fabulous, so now she's more of a star than an actress.

by Anonymousreply 144March 13, 2023 7:48 PM

A black actor losing to a white actor isn't always racism. I agree that Bassett did a fairly standard performance as the stately mother figure in a genre movie--those often aren't rewarded even with a nomination. Her lack of graciousness shows entitlement and poor manners, which won't win her any fans for future performances that might be more award worthy.

by Anonymousreply 145March 13, 2023 7:51 PM

A black actor losing to a white actor isn't always racism, but what's racism is white DLers criticizing her just for looking sad. How dare she be uppity!!!

by Anonymousreply 146March 13, 2023 7:55 PM

R55, that's been covered ad nauseum following the nominations announcement. Keep up, granny.

by Anonymousreply 147March 13, 2023 7:56 PM

How have we reached a point where it’s default racism if a black actress doesn’t get an award nomination or does get a nomination and doesn’t then win?

by Anonymousreply 148March 13, 2023 7:59 PM

[quote] Stephanie Hsu 100% should have won it.

I thought she was the weakest link in that movie and was surprised she was nominated at all.

by Anonymousreply 149March 13, 2023 8:00 PM

JL Curtis hasn't done many "Oscar worthy" rolls. No matter how great you are in an action movie or a family comedy, you're likely not getting nominated.

by Anonymousreply 150March 13, 2023 8:01 PM

Do "Oscar worthy" rolls come with butter?

by Anonymousreply 151March 13, 2023 8:03 PM

R100 "Angela was in Boyz in the Hood, Malcolm X, What's Love Got to Do With It, Strange Days, Waiting to Exhale, and both Black Panther films..."

by Anonymousreply 152March 13, 2023 8:06 PM

Angela needs a good slap to adjust that attitude. Where's Will when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 153March 13, 2023 8:07 PM

If you look at the link at R96, Angela has a better poker face than a lot of other losers.

by Anonymousreply 154March 13, 2023 8:08 PM

She was considered for the role of "Storm" in X-Men, she would be excellent in it, bit it went to Halle Berry because she was younger. I always think she was bitter about that, not only for missing a big paycheck, a blockbuster franchise could really elevate her profile, she has everything but she needs a movie like that to broaden her appeal and reach a much larger audience.

by Anonymousreply 155March 13, 2023 8:16 PM

R107

[quote]Unfortunately, none of those particularly scream "Oscar" to anyone,

And how many of JLC's roles do? Yet she still got the "it's about time" narrative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 13, 2023 8:16 PM

r19, so all she did was not react? She didn't go around slapping people, boo the winner, or storm out? How absolutely scandalous and vicious of her.

r97, DL trolls have a bazaar obsession with Black people. There's definitely Blacked or Ebony porn on their drives and in their browser bookmarks.

r119, I agree!! Hsu should have won that category hands down. There was nothing impressive about JLC's performance. It felt like they gave her that award for her career and not because of the performance she actually gave.

by Anonymousreply 157March 13, 2023 8:18 PM

I cannot stand JLC. But I also hate sore losers. AB not clapping was shitty and I doubt it went unnoticed in HW. I wake up to dozens of think pieces and internet idiots defending her right to be a sore loser. If JLC lost and didn’t clap she would be immediately canceled and accused of racism, yet AB can act like an asshole and is celebrated. This is where we are socially and people are getting tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 158March 13, 2023 8:22 PM

[quote]And JLC only won the Oscar because she's a nepo baby and she was being rewarded for career achievement. She was not a standout in EEAAO, it was a routine sitcom performance. Stephanie Hsu gave a much stronger performance. JLC did NOT win because her performance merited an Oscar. She knows it, Angela knows it and the Academy knows it. JLC and Bassett were pitted against each other for a 'career achievement' Oscar and Bassett's career achievement is more impressive.

BULLSHIT! JLC is a legend in her own right. Halloween, The Fog, True Lies, A Fish Called Wanda, Trading Places- how many films of Bassetts can you name? Yes, black people are often underrepresented, but Curtis made a name for herself in genre that's often ignored. Plus, what's the child of two actors meant to do, R103? Shoot themselves? Would that make you happy??? Heaven forbid someone should win for career achievement, as opposed to a Marvel film whose lead actor dropped dead and then lost out on a posthumous Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 159March 13, 2023 8:22 PM

Bassett's stone face will never beat Sally KIrkland's reaction to Cher winning over her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 13, 2023 8:25 PM

[quote] Bassett's stone face will never beat Sally KIrkland's reaction to Cher winning over her.

Did Kirkland even think for a second that she had a chance?

by Anonymousreply 161March 13, 2023 8:26 PM

R159 Freaky Friday, she was excellent in it and should be nominated for Oscar, but a teen comedy would not be taken seriously by the critics.

by Anonymousreply 162March 13, 2023 8:26 PM

If a black woman or Asian woman won with that mediocre performance JLC gave all of DL would be saying “she only won because she’s black” “she only won because she’s Asian” “it was a diversity win”

But when JLC wins it DL is all “she deserved it” “she campaigned for it” 
“it was a legacy win”

So race is only brought up in one case of mediocrity but not the other? Hypocrites.

And for the record I don’t think Angela deserved it either. Based on ACTING alone it should have gone to Stephanie Hsu.

by Anonymousreply 163March 13, 2023 8:27 PM

R162 please be joking

by Anonymousreply 164March 13, 2023 8:28 PM

I don't see your logic, R139. An actor's salary is correlated to how much producers think they can boost a movie's box office. If you win and Oscar but your next movie(s) flop, you're back at square one. Look at Jane Fonda and Sally Field's filmographies after their second Oscars...Roll Over, Agnes of God, Old Gringo (bomb x3) for Jane, who doesn't even have top billing in 80 for Brady. Sally went from playing Tom Hanks' girlfriend in Punchline (1988) to his mother in Forrest Gump (1994) along with other assorted thankless mom roles in the '90s like Mrs. Doubtfire.

by Anonymousreply 165March 13, 2023 8:32 PM

R164 no you are an embarrassment, actually I was a bit wrong, JLC was praised by many critics for her performance in Freaky Friday, and she was nominated for Golden Globe, it was not totally unnoticed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 13, 2023 8:34 PM

To add to R165, there is an often-mentioned "curse" that follows Best Actress winners in particular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 13, 2023 8:35 PM

Renee Zellweger has an erratic history and doesn't act steadily so the win for Judy was never about making a comeback as an A-lister

by Anonymousreply 168March 13, 2023 8:38 PM

R163 Mostly it’s “she was rubbish, she didn’t deserve it”, “she’s a nepo baby so didn’t deserve it”, “she stole Angela Bassett’s Oscar ”, “she’s old so fuck her”, “Activia shits!”.

by Anonymousreply 169March 13, 2023 8:40 PM

R163 And if it was Angela Bassett who won, Jamie would've smiled, applauded, and perhaps even screamed and cheered.

by Anonymousreply 170March 13, 2023 8:43 PM

Walk the Line was as good if not better than What's Love Got To Do With It.

by Anonymousreply 171March 13, 2023 8:47 PM

R78 Angela won at the Critics Choice and Golden Globes. Condon won at BAFTA and JLC at SAG. Angela had reason to feel optimistic if you’re going by numbers. Sometimes it’s a numbers game with nominees (Quan), sometimes it’s momentum in the final stretch. The momentum shifted to Curtis. There were shots of Bassett smiling at the ceremony later. I’m sure it stung to lose for a minute or so, and she couldn’t compose herself in time, but she got over it. Angela has lost the Emmy 9 times. NINE. Not her first time at the rodeo. Life goes on.

by Anonymousreply 172March 13, 2023 8:49 PM

I think the first time I saw her is in Waiting to Exhale. She was supposed to be the best actress amongst the cast but I thought she just kept chewing the scenery all throughout the movie. And from the clips I've seen from Wakanda, she's still at it.

by Anonymousreply 173March 13, 2023 8:51 PM

I’ll say Angela Bassett looked beautiful-in spite of the ‘tude etc …

by Anonymousreply 174March 13, 2023 8:52 PM

[quote] most white nominated talent is mediocre

That’s the new narrative, that white people’s output in general is mediocre, but that doesn’t make it true. Black actors not being recognized doesn’t make white actors who were mediocre.

Someone mentioned Laurence Fisburne above. He’s an example of a black actor that will never get his due. He is a phenomenal actor, but where the hell is he? Why doesn’t he act more?

by Anonymousreply 175March 13, 2023 8:52 PM

She's delusional if she ever thought she was going to win for a comic book movie. I wonder if she regrets turning down Monster's Ball now. That could have been her up there on stage with Jessica Chastain instead of that overrated Halle Berry, who Hollywood tried to make a star out of for years only to give up and trot around every so often.

by Anonymousreply 176March 13, 2023 8:52 PM

Like EEAAO isn’t a “comic book” movie

by Anonymousreply 177March 13, 2023 8:58 PM

How DARE, DARE she look momentarily bummed

by Anonymousreply 178March 13, 2023 8:59 PM

R175 he does. Look up his IMDb. Fishburne has won the Tony and Emmy, but his focus has shifted to mainly paycheck character roles. Fishburne never had the looks to have a Denzel type career, so he wisely chose character parts that I’m sure pay well.

by Anonymousreply 179March 13, 2023 9:05 PM

To be fair to Ms Bassett, it’s hard to emote through that much botox and filler.

by Anonymousreply 180March 13, 2023 9:05 PM

I used to like Bassett until I read how often she's shaded the winners between Jamie Lee and Holly Hunter. Whoopi Goldberg is the same with the same she criticized Geraldine Page and said she would never watch her movie. The only reason Viola never pulled the same stunt is because she doesn't want to rile up Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 181March 13, 2023 9:07 PM

Thanks for the info r179. I should have looked him up on IMDB but I didn’t think of it.

by Anonymousreply 182March 13, 2023 9:09 PM

Plus didn’t Anjelica Huston say in her autobiography that Oprah snubbed her after the Oscars when Huston beat her in 1986 and never had her on her show? Something like that. Even then Oprah thought she was the center of the world.

by Anonymousreply 183March 13, 2023 9:10 PM

Not from the Academy's perspective, R177.

Apparently, the only way to win an Acting Oscar for a comic book role is to play the Joker. Even then, I think the only reason Ledger won was because of his untimely death and the only reason Phoenix won was because Ledger's win set a precedence for winning for that role and to also make up for his loss in The Master, in particular. It's helpful that both performances were demonstrably transformative. Otherwise, comic book movies only get awards for sound mixing and the like.

by Anonymousreply 184March 13, 2023 9:11 PM

Bassett should have an Oscar! RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

by Anonymousreply 185March 13, 2023 9:13 PM

R183 Good point, Anjelica also said that at parties Oprah would ignore her.

by Anonymousreply 186March 13, 2023 9:16 PM

Nia Long of all people claimed James Cameron refused to hire her for Avatar. Like apparently her name should have been enough to get her every starring role.

by Anonymousreply 187March 13, 2023 9:17 PM

Oprah hates white people. Especially thin blonde women.

by Anonymousreply 188March 13, 2023 9:18 PM

Black people hate White people. Period.

by Anonymousreply 189March 13, 2023 9:20 PM

Also, it doesn't seem like Bassett played the game. The Academy makes everyone play the game (unless the nominee is dead or dying, and even then the studio has to play the game). Even Leo had to crawl on his knees for years on end to get his (pity?) award.

by Anonymousreply 190March 13, 2023 9:24 PM

Angela Bassett and the whole Wakanda crew need to lighten up. A sense of humour goes a long way. They’re so serious all the time.

And after BAFTAs and SAG, Angela Bassett had a lot of time to consider the possibility she wasn’t going to win. That sour face when JLC was unnecessary and as ungenerous as JLC’s undergarments!

by Anonymousreply 191March 13, 2023 9:26 PM

It's ridiculous that it took until 2001 for a black actress to win Best Actress. Diana Ross, Diahann Carroll, Whoopi Goldberg and Angela Bassett were all worthy of winning the award.

by Anonymousreply 192March 13, 2023 9:32 PM

R192 is clearly not Jada because her name would have surfaced as well then. Must be Will's account.

by Anonymousreply 193March 13, 2023 9:34 PM

i swear this bitch is 2 much,

she was a dayplayer in a disney superhero flick,

& she thinks she is heir apparent 4 oscar?

b4 tar?

bitch please

by Anonymousreply 194March 13, 2023 9:34 PM

The amount of entitlement she feels for 5 minutes of screentime in a comic book movie sequel is nonsensical. Angela needs to take a reality check and consider that maybe her tude is why she doesn't get any substantial roles anymore and is rotting away on network TV.

by Anonymousreply 195March 13, 2023 9:39 PM

R178 that isn’t the issue. It’s that she failed to clap for the winner. She can have her face be disappointed and still clap. She deliberately declined to clap.

by Anonymousreply 196March 13, 2023 9:49 PM

R196 She also refused to stand up when everyone else gave Jamie Lee a standing ovation. Notice that all the lead actress nominees stood up for Michelle. All the supporting actor nominees stood up for Key Huy Quan. Same with Brendan. Can you imagine the reactions if Cate had refused to stand for Michelle? It's considered a basic courtesy which Angela refused to extend and she's rightfully being dragged for that.

by Anonymousreply 197March 13, 2023 9:51 PM

So is "the thing" is sourpuss, bad sportsmanship cuntitude?

by Anonymousreply 198March 13, 2023 9:52 PM

R192 no way was Diana Ross getting an Oscar over Liza in Cabaret. Maybe if an actual filmmaker had directed Lady Sings the Blues instead of Berry Gordy. And Diahann Carroll over Ellen Burstyn in Alice doesn’t Live Here Anymore? Are you high, Clairee?

by Anonymousreply 199March 13, 2023 9:59 PM

R192 None of those women had a chance. There was always a superior performance. In what world would anyone award Whoopi over Geraldine Page, Anne Bancroft, Jessica Lange, and Meryl Streep?

by Anonymousreply 200March 13, 2023 10:04 PM

R197 go back and watch. Bassett eventually stood. You have to keep your eyes peeled, but she did.

by Anonymousreply 201March 13, 2023 10:09 PM

The link at R96 has plenty of examples of worse losers than Angela. Unclench your fucking pearls

by Anonymousreply 202March 13, 2023 10:11 PM

Bassett has been on Broadway r58. Three times. Most recently in 2012 or 2013. She probably thought she deserved the Toni for that piece of crap “TheMountaintop.“ Didn’t get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 203March 13, 2023 10:12 PM

R181, Viola never directly criticized Meryl's Oscar win for The Iron Lady, but compared losing for The Help that year to falling from a 100-story building. Diana Ross was also in tears after losing to Liza Minnelli in 1972; I think black actresses tend to take the losses harder because the likelihood of them scoring another nomination is statistically so low.

R192, I do think several of the black actresses you mentioned got really unlucky with their timing. Move Diana Ross or Cicely Tyson to 1973, the year Glenda Jackson won her second Oscar in a very vague field, and they would have stood a much better chance at winning. Whoopi Goldberg had the misfortune of going up against Geraldine Page, a beloved figure among actors, on her eighth nomination without a win in a highly emotional role. Bassett's first Oscar bid was in a stacked year -- move What's Love to 1994 and she likely would have swept over Jessica Lange, whose film had little passion behind it and was four years old by the time of the Oscars ceremony in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 204March 13, 2023 10:20 PM

She’s canceled

by Anonymousreply 205March 13, 2023 10:21 PM

R204 great points. Hear hear.

by Anonymousreply 206March 13, 2023 10:23 PM

Come on… she’ll get lots of mileage out of this. She’ll be the talk of the town every awards season when they replay her as part of the ungracious losers memes…

by Anonymousreply 207March 13, 2023 10:24 PM

R204 Funny how Viola disavows The Help now and claims she regrets making that movie. I guarantee that had she won the Oscar for it, she'd talk about how trailblazing a movie it was for all black women (meaning herself). Everytime she trashes the movie, she forgets that her co-star Octavia Spencer actually did win for it and she's badmouthing her performance. This is why I prefer Octavia and Alfre Woodard over Viola and now Angela. The former two have class and Alfre is far more deserving of being an Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 208March 13, 2023 10:24 PM

[quote]no way was Diana Ross getting an Oscar over Liza in Cabaret.

Liza was basically playing herself in Cabaret. She also won in large part because of sentimentality over Judy's recent passing and the fact that she never won an oscar. Performance wise, Diana, Cicely and Liv wrapped rings around Minnelli. Liza was much stronger in The Sterile Cuckoo.

Don't even get me started on Joel Grey winning over Pacino?! Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 209March 13, 2023 10:28 PM

Completely agree about timing, R204.

by Anonymousreply 210March 13, 2023 10:33 PM

I can't wait to hear what Whopee has to say about this.

"Angela Bassett didn't refuse-refuse."

by Anonymousreply 211March 13, 2023 10:37 PM

R209 sure, but Diana didn't really build up good will withe the Academy. As a producer of the movie later called to the Reporter: “Berry Gordy spent so much money on ads for Diana Ross, he antagonized the entire Academy. It was so overwhelming, everyone was commenting on it. And for that reason, she lost best actress to Liza Minnelli. Liza’s performance in Cabaret was good, but nothing compared to what Diana did in our movie.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 13, 2023 10:42 PM

I get why she was upset. I think Jamie had some Andrea Riensseomething pull that helped her win. And that would piss me off. POC don't have that in Hollywood. She had every right to be upset and I won't go into what she should have done in regard to the ovation. She was disappointed. Shit hurts sometimes and you can't hide it. I'm sure after some time she'll get over it. I didn't mind JLC winning but the playing field will never be even. In 95 years only 2 women of color have ever won best actress.

by Anonymousreply 213March 13, 2023 10:44 PM

yes, i know it was for supporting actress. just making a point.

by Anonymousreply 214March 13, 2023 10:50 PM

Bitch had 2 months to rehearse a mild clap and a smile if she didn't win. Her stance is the final proof she can't act.

by Anonymousreply 215March 13, 2023 11:04 PM

She needs to be cancelled for her ableist remarks about Holly Hunter and how her performance in The Piano wasn't real acting because she was a mute. I wonder how bitch feels knowing that Troy Kotsur and Marlee Matlin are both bonafide Oscar winners for "mute" performances and she'll probably never be one.

by Anonymousreply 216March 13, 2023 11:10 PM

Actors take the Oscars far too seriously. It’s all a big wank and they should just focus on the actual work rather than the plaudits. It’s all a bit pathetic and hard to work up much excitement or sympathy for the poor millionaires.

by Anonymousreply 217March 13, 2023 11:11 PM

If she's such a great actress, why couldn't Miss Bassett simply appear to be gracious for 10 freaking seconds?

by Anonymousreply 218March 13, 2023 11:13 PM

R218 She's not, she always plays herself

by Anonymousreply 219March 13, 2023 11:16 PM

I don't think the public knows what that Oscar means.....to us. It is one of the most emotional things that can ever happen to a human being.

by Anonymousreply 220March 13, 2023 11:32 PM

Angela Bassett reminds me a little of Viola Davis in that they appear to be greater than they really are. They're good at playing dramatic roles and angry roles but they don't have a lot of range. They're rather one-note.

Also, Angela was in some really great films in the '90s - Boyz in the Hood, Malcolm X, What's Love Got To Do With It, Waiting to Exhale and Strange Days - but by the '00s, what roles did she really excel in? She moved to TV primarily with ER and 911. Jamie Lee has had a much more consistent film career.

by Anonymousreply 221March 13, 2023 11:33 PM

I would gladly trade my youngest for an Oscar but that royal whore slept with everyone in Hollywood to take it from me

by Anonymousreply 222March 13, 2023 11:35 PM

She stood up eventually. Much ado about nothing. Moving on...

by Anonymousreply 223March 13, 2023 11:42 PM

She should follow Michelle Wiliams example. When Michelle Y took the stage and received her award Michelle W smiled and applauded. That's good sportsmanship.

by Anonymousreply 224March 14, 2023 12:06 AM

No, that's good acting R224

by Anonymousreply 225March 14, 2023 12:15 AM

[quote] Sorry [R139] did that happen to Mira Sorvino? Or Halle Berry?

For Halle, definitely yes! Halle's quote went so high very few would pay it. She got above the title billing in "Catwoman." She headlined "Gothika", "Things We Lost In the Fire", "Dark Tide" and a whole bunch of other crappy movies. She'll never win another Oscar but she'll never, ever be broke.

See also, Jennifer Connelly, Reese Witherspoon, Charlize Theron, Emma Stone, Brie Larson, etc.

by Anonymousreply 226March 14, 2023 1:31 AM

She has an entire breed of dogs named after her, that’s more important than an Oscar!!!

by Anonymousreply 227March 14, 2023 1:47 AM

[quote] BULLSHIT! JLC is a legend in her own right. Halloween, The Fog, True Lies, A Fish Called Wanda, Trading Places- how many films of Bassetts can you name? Yes, black people are often underrepresented, but Curtis made a name for herself in genre that's often ignored. Plus, what's the child of two actors meant to do, [R103]? Shoot themselves? Would that make you happy??? Heaven forbid someone should win for career achievement, as opposed to a Marvel film whose lead actor dropped dead and then lost out on a posthumous Oscar.

For the DUMB ASS at r159. I am very familiar with JLC's filmography. I stated that I was a fan of both actors. I love JLC in the "Halloween" series, in particular, but I would hesitate to call JLC a legend. Under almost any other circumstances I would be thrilled by her win. She is deserving of an Oscar just not this one this year.

I am ALSO familiar with Angela Bassett's filmography -- and unlike you and AMPAS -- I don't disregard a film just because it has Black themes or content, or a majority Black cast. Angela Bassett is a marvelous actress and she is incandescent onscreen. She is as obvious a victim of Hollywood racism (and sexism) as any actor in history, though not the only one. She was not allowed the opportunity to compete for roles that the majority culture would laud as important or "Oscar-worthy."

I love EEAAO! I applaud its win in every category except Supporting Actress. JLC did not win the award based on her performance, Hsu was more deserving for her acting but I would argue that Hsu should have the Oscar instead of JLC. JLC won because her peers wanted her to have it, she is keenly aware of that and there's nothing wrong with it. Remarkably, JLC and AB are the same age. As a 64 year old white woman, JLC is10 times more likely than AB to get another role that can garner Oscar attention. Despite her talent, and only because she is Black, AB is not as likely to get another film role that Academy voters will regard as anything other than a "Black" movie undeserving of Oscar attention.

by Anonymousreply 228March 14, 2023 2:18 AM

I'm getting exhausted over this black entitlement horseshit. No one should get nominated or win something just because they are a certain skin color, and it sure feels like that is what is going on lately. If you did a fine acting job, directing, editing, or WHATEVER the fuck you did for a film, great -- get nominated, win, what the fuck ever. I'm sick of the whining.

by Anonymousreply 229March 14, 2023 2:43 AM

R229 honey, losers of every race pout.

by Anonymousreply 230March 14, 2023 2:51 AM

She is a hard-working actress and thoroughly decent person. (Yes, I met her: it’s a long story that I don’t need to tell.) she had every right to express her disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 231March 14, 2023 2:59 AM

So for this year’s Oscars everyone is starting a new thread for every little thought they have? How novel.

by Anonymousreply 232March 14, 2023 3:00 AM

All predictions had it coming down to Jamie Lee or Angela. The other women knew they didn't have a shot.

by Anonymousreply 233March 14, 2023 3:01 AM

I pulled up the extended trailer for Wakanda, see attached. This is nothing as I expected. I'm surprised she was nominated. Disclaimer - I'm not a fan of this genre of film. These Marvel movies have never been my cuppa tea. The silly accent doesn't help much either.

She does angry well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234March 14, 2023 3:11 AM

R231 Of course she has every right to express her disappointment. It's just unfortunate that she did it in an ugly, and very public manner. It has a lot of tongues wagging, and not in a very nice way.

by Anonymousreply 235March 14, 2023 3:32 AM

weird that people are shitting on THE PIANO. Schindler's List is the only movie that could have beat it. Would've won most other years

Come to think of it, the cinematography might be some of the best that had ever been done to that point. There's a gloominess and glow to it that has been done a lot since, but may not be all that well represented before.

And the score is haunting.

by Anonymousreply 236March 14, 2023 3:35 AM

She was bitter about Halle Berry's Oscar too saying she would never have done a part like that so she turned down the role. The producers deny ever offering her the part.

by Anonymousreply 237March 14, 2023 3:38 AM

Jamie is still on Cloud 9, because she's posting on Instagram at 8:30pm LA time, which is way past her usual bedtime. She just can't get over the fact that she won an actual Oscar. I'm so happy for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238March 14, 2023 3:43 AM

Jane Campion didn’t credit the novel that inspired the Piano, very shady.

by Anonymousreply 239March 14, 2023 3:50 AM

JLC was very thirsty for that Oscar. So much so that it was off-putting. And, both JLC and AB didn’t deserve the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 240March 14, 2023 3:53 AM

How about a white dude not instructing a black woman on how to act?

by Anonymousreply 241March 14, 2023 3:56 AM

Jamie Lee's exuberance over finally becoming an Oscar winner was reason enough for her to win.

by Anonymousreply 242March 14, 2023 4:01 AM

R241 how about a black woman dropping the angry all the fucking time attitude .It doesnt endear. I love Angela Basset but that was a shitty move. Quite beneath her. She's better than that.

by Anonymousreply 243March 14, 2023 4:05 AM

After her attitude today, there will not be anyone in Hollywood who will be interested in giving Angela more roles let alone nominations. She pretty much kissed her career goodbye from one moment of undue anger. Expect to see her relegated to Tyler Perry movies after Ryan Murphy gets tired of her.

by Anonymousreply 244March 14, 2023 4:07 AM

[quote] her pretentious husband hasn't done anything of note since Waiting for Guffman.

"Best In Show," R20?

by Anonymousreply 245March 14, 2023 4:23 AM

Angela should have wanted it more!

by Anonymousreply 246March 14, 2023 4:40 AM

A comic book movie? Can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 247March 14, 2023 4:53 AM

R244 unclunth your pearls, twat.

by Anonymousreply 248March 14, 2023 7:48 AM

[quote] Bassett wasnt ANGRY. She was disappointed. Sorry, she’s a human.

Bassett had monumental expectations that based on her skin color, she was owed. Her reaction was anger resultant from those unfulfilled racist monumental expectations.

by Anonymousreply 249March 14, 2023 7:59 AM

[quote]They described the person without staring the name until the end. I was so sure it was me that I started to get up when they said "and the award goes to"... and they announced another name.

Let’s caucus, R68.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250March 14, 2023 8:01 AM

Poor Angela.

by Anonymousreply 251March 14, 2023 8:10 AM

The Piano, to me, is one of the most depressing, dreary films I have ever seen. I feel the same way about Glengarry Glen Ross. Both movies feature people in dire straits whose lives are being dictated by people who lack empathy.

by Anonymousreply 252March 14, 2023 8:59 AM

R228 I’m sorry but when you say “she is as obvious a victim of Hollywood racism (and sexism)” are you saying that with a straight face? Do you honestly think we should be boo-hooing for a multimillionaire with a career and longevity most actors would kill for? Some perspective please!

by Anonymousreply 253March 14, 2023 9:09 AM

Since this wasn’t some pre-announced, honorary award, Angela Bassett should’ve been well prepared for it to go somebody else’s way - especially since many observers concerned it a 3- or 4-way race. Her handlers should’ve prepared her for that.

You don’t go into that auditorium needing or wanting an Oscar.

Even Kerry Condon had a slight look of “Oh, that’s that” relief because after all those months of campaigning, it must be a difficult moment to navigate but that’s why you clap - to get through it and move on.

by Anonymousreply 254March 14, 2023 10:21 AM

*considered it

by Anonymousreply 255March 14, 2023 10:21 AM

Sour Patch Kids face!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256March 14, 2023 11:21 AM

I've always really liked Angela, but after seeing her act so demonstrably bitter over JLC's win on Sunday, I'm rethinking things.

by Anonymousreply 257March 14, 2023 11:22 AM

Has Sheryl Lee Ralph commented?

by Anonymousreply 258March 14, 2023 11:57 AM

I never forget Angela Bassett is Angela Bassett in everything I've seen her in. Even the one movie I like of hers. It's a popularity contest. Maybe she's a bitch. Seems so from her bad manners.

by Anonymousreply 259March 14, 2023 12:12 PM

At r256, has she removed teefs???

by Anonymousreply 260March 14, 2023 12:14 PM

Glenn Close, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Pfeiffer, & Annette Bening haven't won Oscars either, after multiple nominations. And they have been in show biz as long or longer than Angela Bassett.

by Anonymousreply 261March 14, 2023 12:22 PM

R261 They don't count for a very obvious reason.

by Anonymousreply 262March 14, 2023 12:23 PM

We were Team Angela!

by Anonymousreply 263March 14, 2023 12:24 PM

After seeing Jamie Lee Curtis gushing and gloating and mugging on Hoda this morning, I have moved into Angela Basset’s corner. I brought my fainting couch and snacks.

JLC saying she only wanted to win because it would make her friends happy? Angela was right.

by Anonymousreply 264March 14, 2023 1:01 PM

[quote] Plus didn’t Anjelica Huston say in her autobiography that Oprah snubbed her after the Oscars when Huston beat her in 1986 and never had her on her show? Something like that. Even then Oprah thought she was the center of the world.

Why would anyone rush to get Anjelica Huston on their talk show. She's pretty much a nobody

by Anonymousreply 265March 14, 2023 1:03 PM

I think she's doing "the thing" at r256!

by Anonymousreply 266March 14, 2023 1:07 PM

Angela Bassett: Proud Patterson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267March 14, 2023 1:22 PM

The word I keep seeing about Angela deserving to win is that she was "overdue." Is that code for something else? Frankly, I don't either she or JLC were overdue... but Curtis campaigned like she was running for public office. And won. While BOTH Bassett and JLC have done good work, they don't have the resumes that Oscar-less Close, Weaver, Bening, or Pfeiffer have...

by Anonymousreply 268March 14, 2023 1:42 PM

R264 I turned it off when they were introducing JLC on Today. Can’t take that manic energy first thing in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 269March 14, 2023 2:02 PM

[quote] Black people hate White people. Period.

and white people are all hugs and kisses to everyone else....

by Anonymousreply 270March 14, 2023 2:04 PM

Everybody block Jada Plinko Smith at r76.

by Anonymousreply 271March 14, 2023 2:08 PM

Someone needs to cast Angela Bassett in a really good film with a meaty, emotional role so she can win one next year. She really does deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 272March 14, 2023 2:14 PM

If no one's pointed it out yet to r197, the standing ovations for all the winners last night were an unusual occurrence that doesn't usually happen at the Oscars, so Bassett wouldn't have been blamed at all if she hadn't stood (which she ultimately did). Given that it was still early in the night and only the third award, there was no reason for her to know everyone was going to stand for everything.

by Anonymousreply 273March 14, 2023 2:15 PM

It's racism, pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 274March 14, 2023 2:25 PM

Can someone please write a script about an alcoholic woman who lives in the projects, but who gets sober, turns her life around, and becomes the CEO of her own hair weave company?

Because Angela really, really wants an Oscar next year.

by Anonymousreply 275March 14, 2023 2:28 PM

[quote]Sorry [[R139]] did that happen to Mira Sorvino? Or Halle Berry?

Mira’s career ranked because Harvey Weinstein blacklisted her.

And Halle Berry’s flamed out because she’s batshit crazy and nobody can work with her.

by Anonymousreply 276March 14, 2023 2:30 PM

R275 Weaving to Sobriety

by Anonymousreply 277March 14, 2023 2:32 PM

R275, she'll have to go through Glenn Close first, starring as the 50-year old battling breast and cervical cancer who in the middle of her Supreme Court case on voting rights helps her trans grandchild learn the true meaning of life. Glenn will also sing the theme.

by Anonymousreply 278March 14, 2023 2:34 PM

R276 Weinstein did not “blacklist” Sorvino, she’s worked steadily since Mighty Aphrodite, she’s just not good or interesting…

by Anonymousreply 279March 14, 2023 2:37 PM

R278 50? Come on, even Glenn is that good of an actress to be able to pull of 50.

by Anonymousreply 280March 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Tell that to Glenn, she's standing in the middle of Sunset Blvd.

by Anonymousreply 281March 14, 2023 2:41 PM

Angela Bassett overacts in everything she does, I find her painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 282March 14, 2023 2:41 PM

That is not overacting. Even though she knows she is delivering yet another best performance of the year, Oscars so white has already made it futile. You are seeing her truth trauma.

by Anonymousreply 283March 14, 2023 2:43 PM

R282 *flashes back to the "Or did you think we made babies by ourselves?" scene in Boyz n the Hood*

by Anonymousreply 284March 14, 2023 2:44 PM

R283 "Truth trauma."

Okay, that's gotta be the funniest thing I'll read today.

by Anonymousreply 285March 14, 2023 2:48 PM

[quote] Even though she knows she is delivering yet another best performance of the year, You are seeing her truth trauma.

R283 What she knows, believes or thinks is irrelevant in any competition. Bassett had expectations and was livid when they were unfulfilled.

by Anonymousreply 286March 14, 2023 2:50 PM

All these people are likely practitioners of the gratitude bullshit. Where's hers? She's worked in well over a hundred productions. She's done better than most. (And before you call me a racist I wish JLC would tone it down. It's just a fucking prize.)

by Anonymousreply 287March 14, 2023 2:53 PM

R265 that’s a stupid statement. Huston is an Oscar winner, multiple nominee and respected actress. Far from being a nobody. Just because Oprah can’t get over the fact she lost the Oscar, then fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 288March 14, 2023 3:14 PM

There's no need to debate whether Weinstein blacklisted Sorvino. If he told Peter Jackson not to hire her, he made the same warnings to other directors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 14, 2023 3:20 PM

R289 as the Sony email hack plainly demonstrated, studio execs badmouth actors ALL. THE. TIME. That is not “blacklisting.” Peter Jackson knew Weinstein was a piece of shit, why did he listen to him when all of the other directors who have cast Sorvino since 1995 did not??

by Anonymousreply 290March 14, 2023 3:23 PM

Sorvino toiling in garbage projects while being removed from consideration for prestige work at Weinstein's behest isn't compelling evidence that the attempted blacklist didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 291March 14, 2023 3:31 PM

[quote]Weinstein did not “blacklist” Sorvino, she’s worked steadily since Mighty Aphrodite, she’s just not good or interesting…

THANK you—

by Anonymousreply 292March 14, 2023 3:36 PM

Angela can now go back to cameos in Ryan Murphy shows. I'm looking forward to her 2-episode appearance in season 59 of American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 293March 14, 2023 4:07 PM

Sore loser! Get over it, lady, move on!

by Anonymousreply 294March 14, 2023 4:21 PM

Hollywood was ready to turn Sorvino into a star but chose some REALLY bad films after her Oscar win. Mimic, The Replacement Killers, At First Sight. I'm not saying Weinstein didn't mess with her but he wasn't the sole reason for her career decline like she likes to insinuate these days. If anything, her then-boyfriend Tarantino was more to blame. He apparently coaxed her into doing Mimic and The Replacement Killers.

by Anonymousreply 295March 14, 2023 4:41 PM

Sorvino made a creepy movie with pedophile Allen where he basically hits on a woman half his age. This is how she got her start, playing a porn star. Anything else could only be a leg up.

by Anonymousreply 296March 14, 2023 4:42 PM

Anjelica later said that appearing on the Tony Danza Show more than made up for being snubbed by Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 297March 14, 2023 5:22 PM

[quote] She should follow Michelle Wiliams example. When Michelle Y took the stage and received her award Michelle W smiled and applauded. That's good sportsmanship.

Michelle Williams is white, 42 years old and has FIVE Oscar nominations. She KNOWS she'll get nominated again and will eventually win. That's not sportsmanship, it's Hollywood's white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 298March 14, 2023 5:27 PM

Also R298 every prediction had it being either Angela or Jamie. Nobody expected Michelle Williams to win R224

by Anonymousreply 299March 14, 2023 5:30 PM

[quote] I'm getting exhausted over this black entitlement horseshit..

How do you feel about white privilege?! Try being exhausted by something that actually exists and maybe you won't live long enough to bore the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 300March 14, 2023 5:37 PM

R298 That may have applied a few years ago but judging from the multitude of Black-themed or starred films nowadays, it's quite likely that Miss Bassett could be nominated again. As for White people being nominated or winning just because they're White, there's a number of actors who were nominated multiple times and never won - Barbara Stanwyck, Natalie Wood, Richard Burton, Glenn Close and, yes, Michelle Williams.

The problem with Bassett is that she's not that great an actress and most of her work is for the dough. She continues to choose Mission Impossible-type jobs that pay well but don't require much of her, and then she bombastically proceeds to chew up the scenery in scene after scene.

by Anonymousreply 301March 14, 2023 5:40 PM

[quote] Bassett had monumental expectations that based on her skin color, she was owed. Her reaction was anger resultant from those unfulfilled racist monumental expectations.

Whoever you are, you are nauseatingly racist.

by Anonymousreply 302March 14, 2023 5:45 PM

[quote]Michelle Williams is white, 42 years old and has FIVE Oscar nominations. She KNOWS she'll get nominated again and will eventually win.

Tell that to Glenn Close.

by Anonymousreply 303March 14, 2023 5:45 PM

[quote] The problem with Bassett is that she's not that great an actress and most of her work is for the dough. She continues to choose Mission Impossible-type jobs that pay well but don't require much of her, and then she bombastically proceeds to chew up the scenery in scene after scene.

??? She's an exceptional actress. Do you think that Angela Bassett competes with Julianne Moore, Michelle Pfeiffer and Annette Bening for roles?! She takes the jobs that she is offered.

It is disheartening for her, and for me, that her work is viewed exclusively through the lens of race. Are Cate Blanchett and Olivia Colman and Jessica Lange as "bombastic" when they chew the scenery? Isn't it great that that are offered such a wide variety of roles that some don't even require scenery-chewing? I agree, I would love for Angela Bassett -- a graduate of Yale School of Drama -- to be offered a role other than bad-ass, take charge, scenery-chewing Black woman.

by Anonymousreply 304March 14, 2023 6:06 PM

The Bassett loon would have a point if this was 1083 but since 2010 14 of the 56 acting Oscars handed out have been awarded to people of color

Just not Angela Bassett

Maybe she's not as good as you think she is

Hell Regina King, little Brenda from 227 has an Oscar

Or maybe because of her attitude, Hollywood, including black Hollywood as they vote too, just don't like her

It is a popularity contest and Angela is famous for talking crap about other black actresses, even Halle Berry ran up to Jamie Lee after she won in the press room and hugged her and told her how she knew she would win

by Anonymousreply 305March 14, 2023 6:08 PM

I fucking hated The Piano. I was promised Sam Neill dong and I got Harvey Keitel dong instead!!! 😡

by Anonymousreply 306March 14, 2023 6:13 PM

The Piano has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 307March 14, 2023 6:16 PM

[quote] [R275], she'll have to go through Glenn Close first, starring as the 50-year old battling breast and cervical cancer who in the middle of her Supreme Court case on voting rights helps her trans grandchild learn the true meaning of life. Glenn will also sing the theme.

And she will deserve the win. The Oscars' credibility actually suffers from Frances McDormand having THREE acting awards and Glenn Close having none.

If only we can dissuade Glenn from singing the theme song...

by Anonymousreply 308March 14, 2023 6:16 PM

McDormand shouldn’t have three.

by Anonymousreply 309March 14, 2023 6:18 PM

[quote] I would love for Angela Bassett -- a graduate of Yale School of Drama -- to be offered a role other than bad-ass, take charge, scenery-chewing Black woman.

She was offered the role that won Hallee her Oscar and turned it down. I wonder how many other parts that didn't pay her asking price she turned down.

by Anonymousreply 310March 14, 2023 6:21 PM

Angela and Madonna were both born Aug. 16/1958. And they both did the thing.

by Anonymousreply 311March 14, 2023 6:29 PM

[quote] The Bassett loon would have a point if this was 1083 but since 2010 14 of the 56 acting Oscars handed out have been awarded to people of color Just not Angela Bassett Maybe she's not as good as you think she is Hell Regina King, little Brenda from 227 has an Oscar Or maybe because of her attitude, Hollywood, including black Hollywood as they vote too, just don't like her

It is a popularity contest and Angela is famous for talking crap about other black actresses, even Halle Berry ran up to Jamie Lee after she won in the press room and hugged her and told her how she knew she would win

The first sign of trouble is that you typed "black" instead of "Black."

Helen Hunt, Emma Stone, Brie Larson, Charlize Theron and Renee Zelleweger have Oscars. Glenn Close, Laura Linney and Annette Bening do not. So yes, winning an Oscar is not about acting or talent. If your insinuation is that Bassett has a problematic "attitude" offscreen that is complete bullshit. She is a professional actor, not a professional kiss-ass.

by Anonymousreply 312March 14, 2023 6:31 PM

You're so fucking tedious, R312, and you're making no difference at all. If anything, you stand in the way.

by Anonymousreply 313March 14, 2023 6:50 PM

R312 nah dude it's black just like white, if I were to say African American than you use capital letters

And again even other minority actors in Hollywood don't like her attitude, it IS a popularity contest too, you could be the best actor in the world and if your peers who vote on the Oscars don't like you personally, they're not gonna vote for you

The end

by Anonymousreply 314March 14, 2023 7:14 PM

[quote] You're so fucking tedious, [R312], and you're making no difference at all. If anything, you stand in the way.

Making a difference...

Stand in the way...

What the fuck are YOU talking about?!!!

by Anonymousreply 315March 14, 2023 7:37 PM

[quote] The end

Your end, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 316March 14, 2023 7:39 PM

R315, it means your blathering doesn't change any minds. You're just as tedious here as you are in the real world, where you get your anger. You lost. Deal.

by Anonymousreply 317March 14, 2023 7:45 PM

Angela Bassett is the new Glenn Close.

by Anonymousreply 318March 14, 2023 7:46 PM

Jamie Lee needs to do the right thing and hand over her statuette to Angela.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319March 14, 2023 7:47 PM

People are taking this way too far now. It's a fucking trophy. Twitter and these media outlets are acting like it's as big an injustice to black people as George Zimmerman and Emmett Till's killers being found not guilty in court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320March 14, 2023 7:51 PM

This another Crash moment at Hermes!

by Anonymousreply 321March 14, 2023 7:52 PM

[quote] Are Cate Blanchett and Olivia Colman and Jessica Lange as "bombastic" when they chew the scenery?

Actually, those three rarely "chew scenery" unless it's demanded by the campy tone of the story but Angela seems to think she's always playing the Queen projecting to the back of the auditorium. And that Marilyn Monroe-ish thing she tries to do with her lips - not working.

by Anonymousreply 322March 14, 2023 7:58 PM

"Angela Bassett is the new Glenn Close."

Er, nope. Bassett was only nominated for an Oscar twice. Glenn 8.

by Anonymousreply 323March 14, 2023 8:01 PM

Thank you, R320.

The greatest acting snub was not awarding the Best Actress Oscar to Gloria Swanson for "Sunset Boulevard" (and it WAS a snub), topped by the "Citizen Kane" hate squad killing it and deflecting Welles' presumptive career track.

Ms. Bassett's defenders are behaving like spoiled, needy children. Fuck spoiled, needy children.

by Anonymousreply 324March 14, 2023 8:02 PM

This is all ridiculous. I think Angela will bring home an Emmy before an Oscar, considering she does more tv, and she’s on her ninth nomination. I’m sure Angela has gotten over it. It’s time to move on. What’s done is done.

by Anonymousreply 325March 14, 2023 8:02 PM

Go, JLC!!!!

by Anonymousreply 326March 14, 2023 8:05 PM

Bassett didn't win any actual industry awards. Golden Globes and Critics Choice aren't voted on industry members. She lost BAFTA and SAG, which are actual industry awards which has voter overlap with the Academy. That sucks that those meaningless awards gave her the false frontrunner status and got her (and others) hopes up but that's how it goes sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 327March 14, 2023 8:11 PM

Entitled bitch!

Shoo, go away!

by Anonymousreply 328March 14, 2023 8:17 PM

[quote] The greatest acting snub was not awarding the Best Actress Oscar to Gloria Swanson for "Sunset Boulevard" (and it WAS a snub

I know this is off-topic but why was Swanson snubbed?

by Anonymousreply 329March 14, 2023 8:43 PM

[quote] [R315], it means your blathering doesn't change any minds. You're just as tedious here as you are in the real world, where you get your anger. You lost. Deal.

Well, Constance, my "blathering" has made you feel special enough to think that your voice matters.

You're welcome...

by Anonymousreply 330March 14, 2023 9:12 PM

After seeing EEAO, I was left impressed by the performance of the actress who played the IRS agent, and did an internet search to find out who it was. I was totally shocked to find out it was Jamie Lee Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 331March 14, 2023 9:34 PM

Bassett is a one-dimensional actress who can't do nuance. Like the secret Oscar voter said, she always talks loudly in a faux British accent in an attempt to sound like a great Shakespearean actor, but just ends up sounding silly. Jamie isn't the best actress in Hollywood, but she can do nuance and can play a wider range of characters.

by Anonymousreply 332March 14, 2023 9:38 PM

R330, try harder. Come on. Jesus, what a waste of skin and welfare.

by Anonymousreply 333March 14, 2023 9:41 PM

Both Bassett and Cate were robbed

by Anonymousreply 334March 14, 2023 9:49 PM

Everyone knows this was a belated win for JLC for her Activia commercials.

by Anonymousreply 335March 14, 2023 10:19 PM

[quote]Twitter and these media outlets are acting like it's as big an injustice to black people as George Zimmerman and Emmett Till's killers being found not guilty in court.

Blacks need to fucking get over themselves.

by Anonymousreply 336March 14, 2023 10:33 PM

[quote]Bassett didn't win any actual industry awards. Golden Globes and Critics Choice aren't voted on industry members. She lost BAFTA and SAG, which are actual industry awards which has voter overlap with the Academy.

And the reason she didn’t get any “industry” awards… is because her peers know she’s an entitled, insufferable bitch. They’d rather vote for people they like.

by Anonymousreply 337March 14, 2023 10:34 PM

I can think of someone who is four times the loser, at least, that dear Angela is.

by Anonymousreply 338March 14, 2023 10:46 PM

Sing it, M! Better you than her...

by Anonymousreply 339March 14, 2023 10:55 PM

R329 she was in a extremely tight 3 way race with Bette Davis-All About Eve and Judy Holliday-Born Yesterday, with Holliday ultimately winning.

by Anonymousreply 340March 14, 2023 11:22 PM

R329 Davis and Swanson were both veteran actresses playing roles when they're out of their prime and thus split the vote. Similarly Davis and Anne Baxter split the vote as well.

Another factor for Bette was that she had made a lot of enemies in Hollywood and didn't have the best relationship with her movie crews from WB so they weren't going to vote for her. She's lucky that she won both Oscars early on in her career because she was never going to win another by the 40s when she became more assertive and more of a diva. It's the same reason Judy Garland lost for A Star is Born because she had two studios actively voting against her (WB and MGM). Joan Crawford's victory for Mildred Pierce was in part because both WB and MGM were championing her, WB as her current studio and MGM feeling they owed her and Joan having had good relationships with everyone she worked with.

With Swanson, the Academy wasn't interested in awarding an actress who hadn't been steadily working since the 20s and who probably wouldn't be working much afterwards again either.

by Anonymousreply 341March 14, 2023 11:28 PM

If they don't automatically hand Oscars to black actors every year for whatever movie they're in good or bad you're worse than Hitler!

by Anonymousreply 342March 14, 2023 11:30 PM

Damn, poor Angela Bassett has now lost one Best Actress Oscar and later one Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

This is outrageous and has never happened to anyone other actress, even an actress wasa top box-office draw for a decade and who'd been working steadily since she was a toddler!

by Anonymousreply 343March 14, 2023 11:38 PM

No one will remember Angela 50 years later.

by Anonymousreply 344March 14, 2023 11:43 PM

"What's Angela Got To Do With It?" --JLC

by Anonymousreply 345March 14, 2023 11:46 PM

Perhaps, Angela will get some yogurt commercials and win an Oscar in the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 346March 14, 2023 11:49 PM

DL loves to hate on black women, whether Angela had won or lost. DL sissies would have words for her

by Anonymousreply 347March 14, 2023 11:55 PM

[quote]DL loves to hate on black women, whether Angela had won or lost. DL sissies would have words for her

Guess who else loves to hate on black women? Angela Bassett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348March 15, 2023 12:08 AM

Tough luck, R347.

by Anonymousreply 349March 15, 2023 12:13 AM

Maybe Angela should do a remake of The Wife.

by Anonymousreply 350March 15, 2023 12:15 AM

I never saw monsters ball. Why was the role so degrading? Was Halle’s character a prostitute? Or was it because she slept with a white guy? Was he a racist?

by Anonymousreply 351March 15, 2023 12:39 AM

It was probably because of the nudity, and yes, Billy's character was a racist.

I don't think Halle is the best actress, but Angela could not have pulled that off. Or pulled off Die Another Day. Or the junkie role in Jungle Fever. I actually think Halle has more range than Angela. I find Angela too rigid and yes, that affected way she speaks has become annoying and one-note. Halle is great at playing women who are messes. I think Angela just looks too smart and rigid to become that unraveled.

by Anonymousreply 352March 15, 2023 12:47 AM

[Quote]Did Kirkland even think for a second that she had a chance?

She won the Golden Globe for her performance in Anna and won the Los Angeles Film Critics Circle Award in a tie with Holly Hunter for Broadcast News.

by Anonymousreply 353March 15, 2023 12:48 AM

R341, I read in a book about Sunset Boulevard that the then president of the Motion Picture Academy, Charles Brackett, penned a letter to Gloria Swanson after her loss to Judy Holliday essentially apologizing to her. Principal photography on Sunset Boulevard wrapped by the summer of 1949, but the film's theatrical release was delayed when initial screenings tested poorly. Brackett explained that the film had been seen in industry circles so long before Oscar voting was held in March 1951 that it was old news by then and Judy Holliday's film, which was released on Christmas Day of 1950, felt more current.

I'm not sure I entirely buy that argument -- Sunset Boulevard still managed to win three Oscars, including Best Screenplay -- but recency bias may have slightly influenced the tight Best Actress race.

Regardless, it's ridiculous Gloria Swanson was never awarded an Honorary Oscar at least.

by Anonymousreply 354March 15, 2023 12:59 AM

Chrissy Teigen has pretty much ruined her looks with stupid unnecessary plastic surgery. It’s rumored she’s a bit of a cunt so maybe she deserves it, but still. Tsk, tsk.

by Anonymousreply 355March 15, 2023 1:40 AM

Sorry, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 356March 15, 2023 1:41 AM

[quote] DL loves to hate on black women, whether Angela had won or lost. DL sissies would have words for her

chile...

It would be bedlam if Angela had won.

by Anonymousreply 357March 15, 2023 2:15 AM

[quote] DL loves to hate on black women

No, just the ones who qualify for a Golden Cunt Award.

by Anonymousreply 358March 15, 2023 2:21 AM

Hearing again that she wore purple because it is royal sent me back to the barf-pot.

Being lifelong children is one thing. Being spoiled and greed lifelong children is repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 359March 15, 2023 2:23 AM

I haven’t seen any of these movies so I’d be happy if Angela had won because I fucking hate JLC. Now, in being a sore loser, Angela has made me annoyed with her and I will avoid her.

by Anonymousreply 360March 15, 2023 2:27 AM

This is way out of hand and it’s ridiculous how seriously unhinged people on social media platforms are trying to attach deep meaning and historical reparations to a fucking Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 361March 15, 2023 2:33 AM

I would love to see her perform with fellow "blessed actress" Phylicia Rashad.

by Anonymousreply 362March 15, 2023 2:34 AM

Niecy Nash is a better actress than Bassett. Angela could never do the kind of nuance that Niecy did in that Dahmer series.

by Anonymousreply 363March 15, 2023 4:01 AM

And Niecy Nash is versatile too and can play comedy as well. She's hilarious in Scream Queens. In Claws, she was able to balance both the comedy and the drama.

by Anonymousreply 364March 15, 2023 7:32 AM

Only the blacks would think a movie is good because "people quote it all the time".

by Anonymousreply 365March 15, 2023 8:03 AM

She needs to make a movie with Viola

by Anonymousreply 366March 15, 2023 8:20 AM

Of course the black community is saying: “Oh, yes, the black woman should stand for the white woman.” They also think the Will Smith slap was appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 367March 15, 2023 8:32 AM

Bassett is hated in the industry. She’s a well-known nasty cunt to everyone around her.

by Anonymousreply 368March 15, 2023 8:33 AM

She should be honored to be nominated in a Marvel film— a first.

by Anonymousreply 369March 15, 2023 8:40 AM

She was gracious when she lost the SAG award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370March 15, 2023 9:32 AM

People are saying Jamie Lee was barely in her film.

Angela was only on screen for four more minutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371March 15, 2023 9:41 AM

[quote]DL loves to hate on black women

You lost me at "hate on."

by Anonymousreply 372March 15, 2023 11:29 AM

[Quote] But do we know what Holly Hunter was nominated for? I had no idea Holly won an Oscar either.

The Piano is a better film than What's Love Got To Do With It.

by Anonymousreply 373March 15, 2023 11:41 AM

There are a handful of actors I wish would win the thing because if it drags out and they finally do win, the speech will be unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 374March 15, 2023 11:55 AM

Love Angela Bassett.

Did not love Black Panther 2.

She might have acted her ass off but getting nominated for BP2 was a prize in and of itself. She shouldn't push her luck.

by Anonymousreply 375March 15, 2023 11:55 AM

Angela is entitled to be disappointed. And Jamie Lee is entitled to be elated. That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 376March 15, 2023 12:20 PM

It's silly to stay seated. Bassett knew she was likely to lose after Curtis won the SAG.

by Anonymousreply 377March 15, 2023 12:21 PM

Her odds were one in five. She should have known then too and been prepared not to embarrass herself in public. Now she's a 2 on the Will Smith Scale.

by Anonymousreply 378March 15, 2023 12:24 PM

Angela Tribbiani.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379March 15, 2023 12:27 PM

OP you're a huge cunt. white people are the biggest trolls of all time.

by Anonymousreply 380March 15, 2023 1:23 PM

R365 only the whites are so far up their own asses they eat shit everyday. R372 stay lost period dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 381March 15, 2023 1:28 PM

Keep it classy, R381.

by Anonymousreply 382March 15, 2023 1:57 PM

[quote] And Halle Berry’s flamed out because she’s batshit crazy and nobody can work with her.

And this is without mentioning her "acting". Or Catwoman. Or how she hit a pedestrian while driving, drove away, was never charged and acted like she was the victim.

by Anonymousreply 383March 15, 2023 3:07 PM

[quote] People are taking this way too far now. It's a fucking trophy.

Tell me about it

by Anonymousreply 384March 15, 2023 3:09 PM

Team JLC!

by Anonymousreply 385March 15, 2023 3:09 PM

Gloria Swanson losing the acting oscar is a travesty. By comparison, this is nothing.

by Anonymousreply 386March 15, 2023 3:10 PM

She really does need to get over it and move on at this point. As others have pointed out, the nomination here is the reward. It’s very atypical to nominate a Marvel performance and Angela can pay herself on the back for being the first.

JLC’s sheer joy at winning has heartened me since Sunday. I recommend everyone see her Today show appearance with Savannah and Hoda from Monday morning or whenever it was. How you could watch that and complain about JLC is truly some petty bullshit. She’s delightful and I love seeing someone not holding back about how happy they are about winning.

by Anonymousreply 387March 15, 2023 3:23 PM

That shady ass picture with Michelle Yeoh. If she had posted one with Jamie Lee Curtis, it would have solved lots of problems.

by Anonymousreply 388March 15, 2023 3:41 PM

I'll be fine once I kick her in the cunt bone.

by Anonymousreply 389March 15, 2023 3:49 PM

I'm surprised Jamie hasn't commented on or defended Angela. She loves to comment on everything so I thought she'd make a long winded post like "It's natural for one to be disappointed. BACK OFF". She must really be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 390March 15, 2023 3:51 PM

R390 This is MY time to shine. I'm not going to share my spotlight with some jealous bitch.

by Anonymousreply 391March 15, 2023 3:54 PM

I doubt Jamie is pissed off at all.

by Anonymousreply 392March 15, 2023 4:09 PM

[quote]She really does need to get over it and move on at this point.

Is AB doing anything to suggest that she isn't over it? I mean, I think she's a pretentious being, and love talking shade about shitty celebrities. I thought her reaction was a bit sour at first, but it looks like she moved on within a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 393March 15, 2023 4:30 PM

Whatever work Angela had done on her face has given her permanent bitch face.

by Anonymousreply 394March 15, 2023 5:05 PM

R394 She's been sucking on a Warhead the past few months.

by Anonymousreply 395March 15, 2023 5:07 PM

Why would Jamie be pissed? She won! And Angela's reaction just makes her look bad, it has zero bearing on JLC. If I were JLC I doubt I'd be thinking about Angela Bassett right now. If I did become aware of her and this whole thing, I'd probably laugh it off. I can't imagine getting angry about it, especially if I had a shiny new Oscar statuette to look at and play with! Angela who??

by Anonymousreply 396March 15, 2023 7:22 PM

Angela had a disappointed look for about 90 seconds.

Datalounge has been bitching for 400 posts.

Who needs to move on?

by Anonymousreply 397March 15, 2023 8:31 PM

You may have noticed, R397, that moving on isn't our strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 398March 15, 2023 8:44 PM

If Angela had been a white actress, you know the Klan Grannies would have her back.

Angela might have won the Oscar had she done MONSTER'S BALL. She could have told the director that she didn't want to do the sex scene with Billy Bob. Halle should have gotten hazardous duty pay for getting underneath that gross creature.

by Anonymousreply 399March 15, 2023 11:27 PM

Saw pics of AB at the Vanity Fair party and she was all smiles. She’s over it people.

by Anonymousreply 400March 16, 2023 12:44 AM

I don't understand why people are such sore losers. Think about all the films that are released in a given year, and only 5 actors from all those films are recognized for their performances. Damn, that would be honor enough for me.

Sure, it'd be great to be the actor who won, but I sure as hell wouldn't bitch about being in the final five.

by Anonymousreply 401March 16, 2023 1:48 AM

R401 agreed. Many actors have a hell of a time even working, do other non acting gigs, or lowbrow acting assignments to pay the bills, the ones we see in film and streaming nominated or not are the lucky few who are probably like one percent of the acting community. I think Angela bought into all this hype. But you have to go into the Oscars expecting anything to happen. Front runners lose sometimes. She was momentarily shocked, but got over it.

by Anonymousreply 402March 16, 2023 2:06 AM

Cate Blanchett had more of a pissed off face which she tried and failed miserably to hide. Why aren't you people after her?

by Anonymousreply 403March 16, 2023 2:48 AM

R403 not anything like Angela. I don’t think Cate looked pissed, but like she was expecting the Michelle outcome. Considering the tour de force performance she gave, and then had to lose to a lesser actress, I think her reaction was entirely appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 404March 16, 2023 2:56 AM

Cate seemed confused when Michelle's name was called. Her face said " wtf". Her facial expression showed indignant Angela 's was sadness, shock and disappointment which she quickly got over. But you lot keep harping on that this woman is filled with rage over her loss

by Anonymousreply 405March 16, 2023 3:00 AM

[quote] She was gracious when she lost the SAG award.

Don't bother. These racist f@ggots would just move on to savaging the next Black woman. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 406March 16, 2023 3:11 AM

Angela should come up with some sort of "justification", the usual bullshit people say to get the naysayers off their back, like "I was running a 104 degree fever" or "I have carpal tunnel and couldn't applaud" or "I was so happy for Jamie Lee I became paralyzed." It would be classier than letting it ride.

by Anonymousreply 407March 16, 2023 3:33 AM

I find it really annoying all the people, here and on that cesspool Twitter, saying that Holly Hunter was undeserving and should give back her Oscar for The Piano to Angela Bassett who - may you be reminded - didn’t even sing in that Tina Turner movie.

People need to move on from this shit, acting like Bassett is SO hard done by. She’s had an acting career on film, tv and stage for over three decades! There are plenty of terrific actors - black, female actors, amongst them - - who NEVER get that! Show some gratitude, ffs. It’s the work that matters.

The only thing that would happen if Bassett had won the Oscar and put up her rate is: she’d get less with and her roles would go to other, equally talented black actresses with a lower rate. It’s the truth. She should consider herself lucky.

by Anonymousreply 408March 16, 2023 4:58 AM

*less work

by Anonymousreply 409March 16, 2023 4:59 AM

Cate Blanchett and Michelle Yeoh were not acting anywhere near the same acting world. Yeoh seemed like she was in a video game. Even the emotional outdoor laundromat scenes. The daughter was the only one grounded in truth. Yeoh was like presenting what the audience should be realizing with bad dialogue and verbal inflection. It was absurd.

by Anonymousreply 410March 16, 2023 6:47 AM

Who are these Klan Grannies you speak of, R399? Do you seem them in the room with you now?

by Anonymousreply 411March 16, 2023 7:42 AM

[Quote] I don't understand why people are such sore losers.

I don't think this is as general as that. It's a race issue. Angela stayed seated quite deliberately.

by Anonymousreply 412March 16, 2023 8:03 AM

R407 why should she say anything? As clearly outlined in R96, people get disappointed when they lose. Then they move on. But Datalounge never will

by Anonymousreply 413March 16, 2023 8:34 AM

R405 because it fits their entitled white sissy narrative.

by Anonymousreply 414March 16, 2023 1:23 PM

Is Jamie's recent post shade towards Angela Bassett or am I overthinking things? "She even claps for boring nominations."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415March 16, 2023 1:36 PM

r415 Sure looks like it! I told y'all Jamie wouldn't take kindly to Angela's reaction.

by Anonymousreply 416March 16, 2023 2:49 PM

Angela is free to clap for whomever she pleases. Jamie needs to go put a bag over that face of hers

by Anonymousreply 417March 16, 2023 2:58 PM

R414 = an LSA refugee

by Anonymousreply 418March 16, 2023 3:01 PM

Mostly Team Angela.

But it’s all about playing the game with movie folks and she didn’t play the game.

Very unlikely she will be nominated in the future.

by Anonymousreply 419March 16, 2023 3:01 PM

Jesus JLC is a real asshole.

by Anonymousreply 420March 16, 2023 3:02 PM

Why, R420?

by Anonymousreply 421March 16, 2023 3:03 PM

Jamie is a karen. I watched an awards show where Zendaya was called to the stage and everyone clapped however, Jamie sitting upfront did not clap and looked at Beautiful young Zendaya with anger, envy and something racial

by Anonymousreply 422March 16, 2023 3:07 PM

Prove it with video or pics, R422.

by Anonymousreply 423March 16, 2023 3:21 PM

Go Jamie!

by Anonymousreply 424March 16, 2023 3:22 PM

R423, I don't know how to post vids but on tiktok find the video of zendaya at SAG, getting out of her seat to go onstage

by Anonymousreply 425March 16, 2023 3:27 PM

The most disappointing amongst all the Oscar losers has to be Ms. Cate Blanchett. She probably has been crying in her latte since Monday morning

by Anonymousreply 426March 16, 2023 5:01 PM

Why on Earth would Cate be crying about this? She already has two Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 427March 16, 2023 5:06 PM

Because she whore herself this award season than she ever has before? It's obvious she was dying to win that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 428March 16, 2023 5:11 PM

Angela's attitude screamed I'M BEING PASSED OVER BECAUSE I'M BLACK whether she meant it or not. If she meant it, it was sending a message to the Academy - "If I'm ever nominated again, and I better be soon, if you don't vote for me you'll prove me right."

by Anonymousreply 429March 16, 2023 5:13 PM

[quote]Zendaya was called to the stage and everyone clapped however, Jamie sitting upfront did not clap and looked at Beautiful young Zendaya with anger, envy and something racial

This makes me like Jamie Lee more. Zendaya is a hack who shouldn’t be at awards shows.

by Anonymousreply 430March 16, 2023 5:18 PM

Remember when PR people were trying to tell everyone that Zendaya should win the Oscar for that terrible black-and-white Netflix film with Denzel’s nepo baby? I couldn’t finish it and still haven’t.

by Anonymousreply 431March 16, 2023 5:22 PM

R429, where is the proof of this? Are you a mind reader?

by Anonymousreply 432March 16, 2023 5:47 PM

[quote] Because she whore herself this award season than she ever has before? It's obvious she was dying to win that Oscar.

I'm glad she won considering she has inexplicably survived multiple murder attempts by her demonic, psychotic, serial killer brother over the last 45 years, it would have been a horrible shame if losing the Oscar killed her

by Anonymousreply 433March 16, 2023 7:55 PM

Well, in all fairness R433, he managed to kill her once. But she came back and we were supposed to ignore all the previous sequels, which is exactly when the series lost me because in a serial killer narrative dead is dead and there ain't no coming back.

by Anonymousreply 434March 16, 2023 8:20 PM

[quote]Angela is free to clap for whomever she pleases. Jamie needs to go put a bag over that face of hers

There's nothing uglier than a sore loser's face. I wish Jamie would take a selfie with HER Oscar, with the caption "Suck it, Angela, but don't suck it very hard, because it's mine!"

by Anonymousreply 435March 16, 2023 9:06 PM

Most people have no idea who Angela Basket is.

by Anonymousreply 436March 16, 2023 9:13 PM

I love Jamie Lee even more for shading Angela about not clapping for her. She didn't even have to name names for her message to come across which shows how tarnished Angela's reputation is now everywhere outside of black Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 437March 16, 2023 9:46 PM

Black Twitter is a cesspool

by Anonymousreply 438March 16, 2023 10:49 PM

Did Dr. King hate us as much as black Twitter does?

by Anonymousreply 439March 16, 2023 10:51 PM

Jamie is tough but thin skinned. Anyone could’ve guessed this would annoy her.

I’ll never forget that car crash moment on the red carpet between Jamie Lee and Joan Rivers the year JLC was passed over for Freaky Friday and Joan asked her what she was doing there since she didn’t get nominated (or something, it was unkind) and Jamie turned on her and said, “I am celebrating tonight with MY FRIENDS who are nominated!” And it was very clear she was saying, “FUCK YOU JOAN.”

by Anonymousreply 440March 17, 2023 1:06 AM

In what world does Jamie Lee Curtis win an award over any of these other women?? She was the least deserving. She pulled the Andrea Riseborough move I bet to get votes

by Anonymousreply 441March 17, 2023 1:14 AM

Michelle Yeoh is a beauty pageant winner and would-be ballerina whose rich Hong Kong businessman bf cast her in a watch commercial with Jackie Chan, which resulted in a few action movie roles. Then she married said bf and “retired,” divorced him after a few years and suddenly became an actress again. She said her ballet career was derailed by a “back injury” yet she can do all sorts of insane stunts?

by Anonymousreply 442March 17, 2023 4:48 PM

R442 She sure as hell didn't do her own stunts in EEAAO.

by Anonymousreply 443March 17, 2023 6:01 PM

R442 you make her sound suspicious. Many women go back to work after divorcing as they need they money and or desire the stimulation. It’s not some scam.

by Anonymousreply 444March 17, 2023 7:35 PM

R442, She is in top physical shape and can still do her own stunts. You wish you had her flexibility that she shows in this interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445March 17, 2023 8:09 PM

Angela couldn't muster an expression due to all the plastic surgery and she was probably shellacked to the chair to hold the plastic surgery in place. I always mix her up with Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 446March 17, 2023 8:14 PM

R445 You obviously didn't watch EEAAO very closely.

And being flexible certainly doesn't make you a stunt woman.

by Anonymousreply 447March 17, 2023 8:24 PM

JLC should have been nominated in A Fish Called Wanda

by Anonymousreply 448March 18, 2023 1:42 AM

JLC should have been nominated for True Lies.

JLC should have been nominated for Freaky Friday.

by Anonymousreply 449March 18, 2023 1:48 AM

JLC should have been nominated for Trading Places.

I believe she actually won a BAFTA at some point.

by Anonymousreply 450March 18, 2023 1:54 AM

“Two time Oscar nominee and Golden Globe winner Angela Bassett.” Not too shabby

by Anonymousreply 451March 18, 2023 3:21 AM

I’d never even heard of her until this. And she’s been nominated twice?

by Anonymousreply 452March 18, 2023 5:12 AM

How uppity of her.

by Anonymousreply 453March 18, 2023 5:21 AM

[quote]JLC should have been nominated in A Fish Called Wanda

And "My Girl."

by Anonymousreply 454March 18, 2023 12:11 PM

Let me get this straight, Angela Bassett has lost twice and is making a fuss? TWICE?

by Anonymousreply 455March 19, 2023 7:30 AM

Move on already The financial system is crashing Putin is being arrested Trump is being arrested Winter is coming to an end Spring is spruning* Soon Fall will be upon us November will be here soon Move on people

by Anonymousreply 456March 19, 2023 5:12 PM

What are all these great Angela Bassett performances that make her "overdue"?

by Anonymousreply 457March 19, 2023 5:19 PM

[quote]I find it really annoying all the people, here and on that cesspool Twitter, saying that Holly Hunter was undeserving and should give back her Oscar for The Piano to Angela Bassett who - may you be reminded - didn’t even sing in that Tina Turner movie.

People were rewarding Holly for the fact that she played a deaf mute. Same reason Dustin won for Rain Man. Those gimmicky performances are outdated today in an era of movies like Coda.

Angela acted her ass off and had to dance like Tina, which is not an easy thing to do. She also had some heavy dramatic moments.

Debra Winger was awesome in Shadowlands.

Stockard Channing also gave a great performance as well.

And yes, Madonna, in Dangerous Game should have snagged a nomination, as she gave a revelatory performance that has been completely overlooked in terms of her career.

I would have dumped Emma Thompson from the lineup. She wasn't bad in Remains of the Day, but the movie is a chore to get through. It's not as good as Howards End.

by Anonymousreply 458March 19, 2023 5:27 PM

[quote]What are all these great Angela Bassett performances that make her "overdue"?

Malcolm X

What's Love Got to do with it

Waiting to Exhale

Strange Days

How Stella got her groove back

Akeelah and the Bee

Music of the Heart

Meet the Browns

by Anonymousreply 459March 19, 2023 5:31 PM

R458 Holly Hunter wasn’t mute in The Piano. We heard her voice throughout and she even had to do accent work for her performance. It’s an outstanding performance fully deserving of its Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 460March 19, 2023 5:32 PM

R458 She also wasn’t a deaf character.

by Anonymousreply 461March 19, 2023 5:34 PM

R460 As I recall, all we heard her say was "tuh..tuh..tuh.."

by Anonymousreply 462March 19, 2023 5:35 PM

I predict Angela will win her first Oscar in a film dealing with African American women suffering from Alopecia. The film will be directed by Jada Pinkett Smith who will be up for best director.

by Anonymousreply 463March 19, 2023 5:36 PM

R462 Then you recall wrong, she narrates the entire film.

by Anonymousreply 464March 19, 2023 5:37 PM

Angela Bassett is the Phylicia Rashad of the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 465March 19, 2023 5:38 PM

Nobody is hating on Bassett for her appearance. She chews up the scenery mercilessly and approaches every line like she's in a remake of The Towering Inferno. Subtlety is not her strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 466March 19, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote] Music of the Heart

LOL is this satire? Nobody remembers Angela in that movie, the one that Meryl was nominated for.

by Anonymousreply 467March 19, 2023 5:50 PM

There is nothing "gimmicky" about Holly Hunter's performance. What a completely uniformed and stupid comment. One of the dumbest on DL I've ever read.

Angela LIP-SYNCHED as Tina. That was gimmicky.

And fucking lazy.

She looked like a drag queen with those bodybuilder arms. She looked like she could have beat up Ike.

by Anonymousreply 468March 19, 2023 5:52 PM

Ada as played by Holly Hunter was a self imposed mute

by Anonymousreply 469March 19, 2023 8:39 PM

R459 is confusing great with adequate.

by Anonymousreply 470March 20, 2023 2:22 AM

She's getting an Honorary Oscar now.

by Anonymousreply 471June 27, 2023 1:26 AM

[quote] Nobody is hating on Bassett for her appearance. She chews up the scenery mercilessly and approaches every line like she's in a remake of The Towering Inferno. Subtlety is not her strong suit.

I kind of love that about her though. And other actors like Pacino and Dunaway. I love when actors play big (even if they don't need to). Too many actors these days underplay the material.

by Anonymousreply 472June 27, 2023 2:07 AM

Angela Bassett did not owe anyone a smile. She wasn't angry. She was not required to perform to make everyone think she was happy in that 2-3 seconds. People act like she pulled a Spike Lee or Eddie Murphy and then took a dump on the floor on the way out.

by Anonymousreply 473July 13, 2023 8:42 PM

After just watching "Wakanda Forever" last night I felt that Angela Bassett was robbed of last year's Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Jamie Lee Curtis was good in "Everything Everywhere All At Once", but Angela Bassett was phenomenal in "Wakanda Forever."

by Anonymousreply 474December 26, 2023 5:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!