Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Huge uptick in people bringing dogs into stores and public buildings

At least where I live this has really escalated in the past year or two. You never saw anyone with a dog in the supermarket. Or rarely, only if it was a "seeing-eye" dog. Ditto public buildings. I don't believe from what I see that these are service animals. And now it's more like once a week that you see them.

I'm allergic to dogs. Have had a couple of reractions. One time I was going to a concert later and it ruined the concert for me. I couldn't breathe, had to use my inhaler. But even if you're not allergic it seems like you shouldn't have to put up with people's pets indoors.

by Anonymousreply 333April 8, 2023 5:16 PM

Nothing makes me happier than seeing a dog in a grocery store. As long as the owner doesn't mind me giving the little guy some love, of course!

Sorry about your allergies. That must suck.

by Anonymousreply 1March 11, 2023 7:32 PM

I worked in a town that was “pet friendly” and was accused of not liking dogs, which is untrue. It wasn’t the dogs, it was the dog people.

They just have a disregard for other people around them. Other people can have a fear of dogs and as in your case, simply allergic to them. Dog people don’t give one shit how you feel.

It’s the entitlement that always made me dislike allowing dogs into my workplace.

I used to have a dog and I know a lot of people who own dogs but “dog people” or “pet people” are different and a different level of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2March 11, 2023 7:35 PM

Better dogs than kids.

by Anonymousreply 3March 11, 2023 7:37 PM

R2 Yes, I agree with this. So well put. A woman in the supermarket the last time I was there exemplifies this, but I can't really describe her.Middle-aged woman, was just lugging this big dog around and almost making people get out of the way for her. Not looking left or right. I work with someone who has 3 dogs and both her kid and husband have allergies, yet she says she refuses not to have the dogs, let them use allergy meds. Kind of like that type.

by Anonymousreply 4March 11, 2023 7:43 PM

People are registering every breed and size of dog imaginable as a "service dog." This doesn't mean that the dog is actually doing anything or providing any service. However, people have found a loophole in the definition and actual requirements of a "service dog," and now they are claiming that their dog, no matter the breed of canine, provides "emotional support. "

So if you are seeing more dogs than usual in public buildings, it's because our society has turned into whimpering snowflakes and precious little delicate flowers who can't go anywhere without their "emotionally supportive" faux service dog, which is nothing but a lie. Regulations need to be tightened and made more restrictive regarding what qualifies as a true and functioning service dog.

by Anonymousreply 5March 11, 2023 7:44 PM

I love my little dog, but people who bring their dog into a grocery store, coffee shop, pharmacy, etc. deserve to be shamed. It's disgusting, and seems desperate.

by Anonymousreply 6March 11, 2023 7:45 PM

Dogs excrete.

Anytime, anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 7March 11, 2023 7:47 PM

the dogs i see are well behaved. no problems with them at all. yeah, better them than kids

by Anonymousreply 8March 11, 2023 7:47 PM

R7 has never owned a dog.

by Anonymousreply 9March 11, 2023 7:48 PM

“Pet people” are insane. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of them have borderline personality disorder.

“I like animals more than people” is a common saying but people who genuinely feel that way usually have a lot of issues people can’t tolerate so they project their affection and emotional stability on animals because animals can’t talk back or be independent from them.

by Anonymousreply 10March 11, 2023 7:50 PM

R8 But why do they need to be in a place where there's no need to have dogs, and other people haven't given their consent to have them there? Why is a supermarket an okay place to bring a dog? I seem to recall when some stores had signs, "No pets."

I love dogs, I wish I hadn't become allergic. But I still wouldn't want them in stores.

by Anonymousreply 11March 11, 2023 7:50 PM

Pets? Wonderful.

Pet owners? Desperate. Needy. "I want attention - Hi, I'm in CVS, does everyone see my dog? Come here fluffy! Don't jump on them! Isn't he just so cute?" Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 12March 11, 2023 7:52 PM

Even though I'm allergic I would love to see more dogs out and about however the people that I've noticed that have been bringing their dogs into stores usually have little yappy a****** dogs that are untrained and annoying. The owners of the dogs are using them where is an accessory than actual companionship or comfort.

by Anonymousreply 13March 11, 2023 7:53 PM

Op go jump in the Atlantic Ocean.

by Anonymousreply 14March 11, 2023 7:53 PM

Huge uptick in animal hate on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 15March 11, 2023 7:54 PM

R15 In my post R11 I said "I love dogs."

by Anonymousreply 16March 11, 2023 7:58 PM

R15 f*** off nobody's hating on animals. It's the sense of entitlement that in public spaces you don't have to show any consideration or care for anybody else who is just as entitled to use that space as you are and to do so comfortably.

by Anonymousreply 17March 11, 2023 7:59 PM

You know we can curse here, right?

by Anonymousreply 18March 11, 2023 8:05 PM

I hate dogs.

by Anonymousreply 19March 11, 2023 8:08 PM

I live in the UK. You can bring your dog just about anywhere and no one thinks a thing about it. Typically when I have dinner at my local pub, there are probably 6-7 dogs lying beneath tables while their owners eat. It's part of the culture.

by Anonymousreply 20March 11, 2023 8:11 PM

[quote]People are registering every breed and size of dog imaginable as a "service dog." This doesn't mean that the dog is actually doing anything or providing any service. However, people have found a loophole in the definition and actual requirements of a "service dog," and now they are claiming that their dog, no matter the breed of canine, provides "emotional support. "

I know someone who did that so he doesn't have to leave the dog at home or get a sitter. Instead, he can take his pooch practically everywhere without any consideration for others' health, safety, or discomfort. He feels like he's putting one over on the government and society in general. Frankly, it pisses me off.

[quote]But why do they need to be in a place where there's no need to have dogs, and other people haven't given their consent to have them there? Why is a supermarket an okay place to bring a dog?

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), businesses and organizations that serve the public must allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals into all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. Furthermore, you are not allowed to ask about the nature of the person's "disability" nor require proof that said dog has actually been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal.

by Anonymousreply 21March 11, 2023 8:12 PM

Loading up on batteries at the local DollarTree, turned around and my path was blocked by a pit bull with a head the size of a basketball, just staring at me. Owner no where in sight. I played it cool, but was not. Later saw the same pup by the homeless encampment that sprang up around the bike trail.

Leashes no longer seem to be a thing.

by Anonymousreply 22March 11, 2023 8:15 PM

Police no longer enforce laws. They just stand by and wait for shit to happen and then act as a cleanup crew after.

by Anonymousreply 23March 11, 2023 8:19 PM

Jesus, R22. Wtf.

by Anonymousreply 24March 11, 2023 8:23 PM

R22 I wish he bit you

by Anonymousreply 25March 11, 2023 8:26 PM

Sounds like we should arm ourselves with mace. It’d be a shame if a wayward dog got sprayed.

by Anonymousreply 26March 11, 2023 8:29 PM

I was at Lowe's once when chaos erupted in the checkout line because a middle-aged mug-cradler couldn't control her "support dog" (it was no such thing), which was barking and lunging at a more placid and obedient dog. She was unhappy when a few patrons yelled at her, but part of being a responsible owner is keeping your pets out of dangerous situations.

by Anonymousreply 27March 11, 2023 8:31 PM

R27 She is trash

by Anonymousreply 28March 11, 2023 8:32 PM

I like dogs and I’m not allergic, so it doesn’t really inconvenience me, but I think it’s incredibly obnoxious. Because where do you draw the line? If it’s OK for that Maltese to be in CVS, does that mean I can bring my German shepherd?

by Anonymousreply 29March 11, 2023 8:33 PM

People who call their pets "fur babies" should be boiled in oil.

by Anonymousreply 30March 11, 2023 8:34 PM

R30 like you should be too

by Anonymousreply 31March 11, 2023 8:41 PM

This trend has gone overboard and unfortunately if your say something you're worse than a Nazi. Apparently a time and place for dogs is old fashioned now.

by Anonymousreply 32March 11, 2023 8:44 PM

R29 And if you can bring a dog into CVS or Ralph's, or King Kullen, where else is it okay to bring them?

by Anonymousreply 33March 11, 2023 8:46 PM

There was a huge labradoodle-dog-thing, a equally huge frau-thing, her cowering hen-pecked husband, and their Madison and her Carson in my grocery store the other day. Dog 'draped' in an obviously homemade 'service dog' harness and sniffing all the shelves as they stood there arguing what to buy for dinner.

I Karen'd right out and went to the manager where I was told while they don't like it, there is nothing they can do.

I went back to the frau family and told them that I thought they were disgusting to bring their dog in to the grocery store.

Their response was to pause, then ignore. I literally wanted to kick them. I left.

by Anonymousreply 34March 11, 2023 8:47 PM

I wasn't trying to do an anti-dog thread, just an anti-dogs-in-stores thread. Granted it must be inconvenient to have nowhere to put your dog if you want to go shopping (though many people still do leave them in cars. I looked to my right the other night and there was a big dog sitting behind the wheel of an SUV. That always freaks me out).

by Anonymousreply 35March 11, 2023 8:48 PM

R5 brings up a very good point and the root of this problem. People consider their dog a "service dog" providing nonsense "emotional support." The truth is, the dog is not a service dog, but no one is supposed to question the validity of emotional support.

The "emotional support" loophole is a slimy excuse that these whacko pet owners have discovered and gotten away with--and it needs to eliminated. Your dog is not a service dog. You can go to CVS or the local restaurant without your dog--you've done it before. Grow a backbone. Be truthful--not a liar. You are not deaf, dumb or blind. You have no need to be receiving some sort of invisible, nonexistent "service" from a dog that provides no service--and ultimately diminishes the necessity of an actual dog that provides true service.

by Anonymousreply 36March 11, 2023 8:49 PM

(OP)

by Anonymousreply 37March 11, 2023 8:49 PM

If it makes people feel more calm and the animal is not biting or getting in the way, then I think it's OK.

I do think that people who have a dog with them at all times have some kind of emotional weakness (hence, "emotional support animal").

Am I going to try to pet the dog or say, "Oh, what a cutie!"? Hell, no.

by Anonymousreply 38March 11, 2023 8:55 PM

[quote]Granted it must be inconvenient to have nowhere to put your dog if you want to go shopping

My answer to that is getting a pet is not like getting accidentally knocked up. Don't get a pet if your life and living situation is not conducive to having a pet. Personally, I think it is animal cruelty to have dogs in apartments. If you can't crate your dog for an hour while you run to WF, then you should not have a dog.

by Anonymousreply 39March 11, 2023 8:57 PM

I love being able to take my little dog to the home improvement center—we just spent a few hours walking around in one. Huge place, and he seems to enjoy it as the weather is still too cold to walk him outdoors. He’s very well behaved and doesn’t bother anybody.

But there’s a time and a place. And some breeds of dog are very high risk. In the area where I live (mid-size city in the Midwest), there are a good amount of businesses that welcome dogs. I’ve never seen a dog in a grocery store here, though.

by Anonymousreply 40March 11, 2023 8:59 PM

A couple of years ago, I worked for a high tech company with one of those dreadful open floor plans. And yes, employees could bring their dogs occasionally. The privilege of bringing your dog to work wasn't abused, but there were a few people who would randomly show up at the office with their dog for the entire day. The dogs were not on leashes. They could roam around at will. Most of the time the dog stayed by the owner's desk, but not always.

It drove me fucking nuts. I am not a fan of dogs especially ones that are bigger than a chihuahua. Unfortunately I get nervous and sometimes afraid of bigger dogs. I try not to show it, but the dog senses it, and it can cause problems. No, I don't want your dog coming to my desk. No, I don't want your dog watching me eat lunch at my desk. Your dog is cute to you...but not to me. Or maybe I might think your dog is cute or harmless when I'm outside at a distance away from it. But I do not appreciate your dog near me while I'm working.

by Anonymousreply 41March 11, 2023 9:02 PM

R3 It’s for the same reasons! It’s not the dogs or the kids, it’s the dog owner or parent. They’re the problem.

I don’t like chaos and usually dog owners and parents are always the reason behind it.

by Anonymousreply 42March 11, 2023 9:03 PM

I hate it when an owner says about their dog "Oh, he won't bother you." Yes, your dog is bothering me by even coming near me. Bigger dogs frighten me, and the dog can sense it. I don't want the dog near me.

by Anonymousreply 43March 11, 2023 9:06 PM

I was at the Apple Store the day after Christmas, 2019. I had to wait for my Genius appointment and I was sitting next to a guy who brought his two Golden Retrievers into the store with him. They were ever so friendly, and I ended up playing with them until my appointment started. What fun! I still think of it three years later.

I wish nice dogs like that got to come into every store. No Pit Bulls or Rottweilers, but nice dogs like Pointers, Retrievers, and various small dogs (probably not Chihuahuas).

by Anonymousreply 44March 11, 2023 9:08 PM

R44 But not everyone shares your enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 45March 11, 2023 9:11 PM

[quote]But there’s a time and a place.

And the home improvement store isn't it.

by Anonymousreply 46March 11, 2023 9:13 PM

Then leave your dog home, r45.

by Anonymousreply 47March 11, 2023 9:15 PM

People are in grocery stores licking the produce for kicks. The produce is sprayed with who knows what pesticides. A harmless dog walking down the aisle is the least of your worries prisspots.

by Anonymousreply 48March 11, 2023 9:17 PM

People who claim that their dog offers emotional support just so that they can bring the dog to the local CVS or Rite-Aid are often lying. The dog owner has managed to have their dog classified as a service dog with the local county or city when in fact the dog provides no service whatsoever.

My neighbor claimed her dog was a service dog, but privately she told me her dog was no such thing. But she filled out the necessary paperwork and received the "service dog certificate" based on a lie. Granted, this is an anecdotal story, but many people are lying on their service applications when in fact they don't need emotional support. They just want to bring their dog everywhere, and if questioned, they just say the dog is a service dog. It's a big goddamn scam. And authorities seem unable to deny the dog owner's service application.

by Anonymousreply 49March 11, 2023 9:18 PM

From 2016 - readers write in - including some vets and medical people - most are against.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 11, 2023 9:24 PM

I’ll take the “huge uptick” in dogs over the toddlers everywhere treated like little princes and princesses. At least you don’t have to wait behind a dog owner while they encourage little precious to pick out their favourite looking apples/tomatoes/whatever while you wait… and wait.., and wait.

by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2023 9:25 PM

Not sayikng they can't be annoying sometimes but toddlers are people, the store is for people. We were all toddlers once. Dogs have no place there.

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2023 9:29 PM

Reractions?

Ruh roh!

by Anonymousreply 53March 11, 2023 9:31 PM

R52 well we’ll have to agree to disagree then. Toddlers are not people. They are toddlers. They should not be blocking the way of people trying to get on with their day.

by Anonymousreply 54March 11, 2023 9:32 PM

Thirty years of "In Your Face" culture. What can you expect? Granted, it's a micro-aggression relative to other extremes, but it's still anti-social behavior.

by Anonymousreply 55March 11, 2023 9:32 PM

R54 I would be more inclined to sympathize if you didn't try to defend dogs being there while ranting about toddlers.

by Anonymousreply 56March 11, 2023 9:36 PM

R56 am I ranting? You are droning on and on about dogs. We get it, you don’t like dogs.. People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

by Anonymousreply 57March 11, 2023 9:39 PM

R57 I like dogs. Children aren't the subject. And you made your point.

by Anonymousreply 58March 11, 2023 9:41 PM

R58 my sincerest apologies hall monitor.

by Anonymousreply 59March 11, 2023 9:43 PM

R54 you're an imbecile. Hopefully you're gay and don't/can't breed.

by Anonymousreply 60March 11, 2023 9:45 PM

[quote] Have had a couple of reractions.

Ruh roh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 11, 2023 9:46 PM

R61 R53 Haha!

by Anonymousreply 62March 11, 2023 9:47 PM

So many on here hate children.

Christ.

by Anonymousreply 63March 11, 2023 9:47 PM

R46, what the hell is wrong with taking a dog to Lowe’s or Home Depot? You know, a home improvement store?

by Anonymousreply 64March 11, 2023 9:51 PM

Today in CVS saw women in line with giant Schnauzer wearing "Support Animal" banner. A few pills to calm her down would eliminate need to drag the pooch around, but at least she didn't lie with a "Service Dog" sign.

by Anonymousreply 65March 11, 2023 9:52 PM

R34 Bless your heart. You did no such thing, but I agree that sort of thing is repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 66March 11, 2023 9:55 PM

R64 You know, because it's for people?

by Anonymousreply 67March 11, 2023 9:57 PM

In NYC places that serve food have signs like "We Love Your Dog, But The Health Dept Doesn't"

by Anonymousreply 68March 11, 2023 9:58 PM

R63 What does christ have to do with it? She'd probably hate dogs in CVS also.

by Anonymousreply 69March 11, 2023 9:58 PM

Pit bulls should be outlawed, R22.

by Anonymousreply 70March 11, 2023 10:00 PM

I'm allergic to Karen's.

Please stop wearing "yoga pants". You're fat. We all know it. You don't do Yoga.

by Anonymousreply 71March 11, 2023 10:02 PM

I'm a huge animal lover (love the small ones, too), but dog people go too far with this stuff. When I see someone who absolutely must have their "doggo" with them everywhere, I think it's the same as a kid clutching a teddy bear. If people on DL can easily accept that there are places that aren't suitable for children, why can't the same be true for pets?

And what about the cats? Are you all OK with me putting my cat in the child seat of my shopping cart and letting her walk over my table in a restaurant while she sniffs everyone's food? I can assure you it would be unbelievably cute.

by Anonymousreply 72March 11, 2023 10:06 PM

My cousin invited me for Thanksgiving dinner. As we were eating (six people, iirc) her cat jumped on the table. I expected her to take it off the table but she let it walk around, sit down, etc. Finally shooed it away kind of casually, when it started sniffing at people's plates. Next year when she asked me I said no.

by Anonymousreply 73March 11, 2023 10:11 PM

I probably would not mind a cat walking across my table, r72. But I'd like to see you keep one in the child seat at the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 74March 11, 2023 10:13 PM

R9 Do you claim that you get your companion animal to excrete at the right time and in the right place?

by Anonymousreply 75March 11, 2023 10:16 PM

As that article pointed out (by a vet) animals in the cart at the market are not sanitary. They carry parasites. But no, a Cat would not sit there.

by Anonymousreply 76March 11, 2023 10:16 PM

THIS is why I poop in stores.

by Anonymousreply 77March 11, 2023 10:20 PM

It only bothers me when the owner very obviously has poor control over the dog. I don't care if it's a large dog or a small dog. There is nothing more irritating than a weak, ineffectual dog owner. They're as irritating as weak and ineffectual parents with unruly children.

by Anonymousreply 78March 11, 2023 10:24 PM

I have a friend who used to work for a small business that had "office cats". She's a cat person so she didn't mind (I'm sure that was one of the requirements to work there.), but fuck no. Get the fuck out of my space and get your animals the fuck out of it as well.

If it isn't a service animal, then it needs to not be in any store, market, whatever. This should be an obvious thing, but somehow people have made it progressive to be "animal friendly" or whatever.

Nope. Get your non-service animal the fuck out of the store. If it's your emotional support animal and you can't live without it, then don't come to the store.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 79March 11, 2023 10:25 PM

No fats, no femmes, no dogs.

by Anonymousreply 80March 11, 2023 10:28 PM

I still fail to understand the objection to dogs in businesses like Home Depot or Lowe’s. The locations near me are enormous, with wide aisles where you can easily keep a leashed small dog out of people’s hair.

And I also like seeing children in stores! Sometimes I’ll even interact with the kids, like the little girl who wanted to pet my dog today.

Some of you really shouldn’t leave the house if you hate children and dogs so much. How do you feel about elderly people?

by Anonymousreply 81March 11, 2023 10:29 PM

I just brought my dog to the local 7-11. Now what, bitches?!

Of course they encourage it for the business and give treats. So we specifically stop there because we know we can bring him if we’re out.

by Anonymousreply 82March 11, 2023 10:31 PM

Love that, R82!

by Anonymousreply 83March 11, 2023 10:32 PM

Question for the posters who are afraid of dogs: do you feel the same way about other mammals? Like sheep? Ponies?

by Anonymousreply 84March 11, 2023 10:33 PM

I actually have no issues with dogs in public places where sanitation is not an issue.

by Anonymousreply 85March 11, 2023 10:35 PM

R84 Is anyone "afraid" of dogs? Did you create that narrative because your feelings were hurt?

by Anonymousreply 86March 11, 2023 10:41 PM

I'm afraid of dogs. Aren't lots of people? We've all been around vicious dogs and we've all seen videos of vicious dogs attacking people.

by Anonymousreply 87March 11, 2023 10:43 PM

Once for no reason I walked by a guy with a dog on a leash (it looked like a pitbull but I'm not sure). The dog jumped at me and clawed me, I was carrying a thick flannel shirt over my arm, which saved my arm, but the shirt was slit by the dog's claws like a movie prop. Dogs have been vicious around me occasionally so yeah I think you need to be wary. This is another reason I don't think they belong in retail establishments. If you want to have a dog, great, but don't force other people to be around your dog in a closed space where they're not expecting to have animals around.

by Anonymousreply 88March 11, 2023 10:48 PM

[quote]Some of you really shouldn’t leave the house if you hate children and dogs so much. How do you feel about elderly people?

r81 Most of the ones complaining ARE elderly. They're cantankerous.

I still concede that as long as you have control of your kids and pets, I don't give a shit. Seeing pets and babies can be mood-lifting when they're just behaving and being adorable. It's grown people that usually get on my nerves.

That's why I sub to pet and family channels on YouTube. Sometimes, they serve as a nice change of pace to a shitty day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 11, 2023 10:51 PM

R89 but a lot of them DON'T have control and I don't want to be some dog's next meal.

by Anonymousreply 90March 11, 2023 10:55 PM

R89 I work someplace I see/hear screaming, crying little kids every day, almost all day. Maybe we could switch jobs.

by Anonymousreply 91March 11, 2023 10:55 PM

The uptick is part of a larger trend of Americans shedding their manners.

by Anonymousreply 92March 11, 2023 10:59 PM

Agree R88 R90

In college, a friend's sheepdog lunged at me. I was seated, and he bit my face. I pulled back, luckily he missed my eye but the bridge of my nose up across my brow and forehead was torn. Stitches. Scar. That was decades ago. I had a dog, I like dogs. But encountering large dogs still gives me a frisson of alarm. I would prefer not to have them in stores, or be near me on transport.

by Anonymousreply 93March 11, 2023 10:59 PM

The problem really is that people think of their dogs as something more than mere pets or animals, and many people think others love their dogs or pets as much as they do. Yes, some people are friendly to strange animals but for the most part, we don't really want your animals around us.

by Anonymousreply 94March 11, 2023 11:04 PM

[quote] Huge uptick … dogs

Dogs have ticks.

by Anonymousreply 95March 11, 2023 11:04 PM

r90 Bummer. Most of the people I see with pets in public places have good control of the dog. I saw one guy with what looked like a pomeranian or toy poodle mix in something similar to a baby carrier strapped to his chest. It doesn't get more controlled than that. I'm also sure he gets all the hoes because of it because a bunch of women kept complimenting him on his dog and how cute it was.

by Anonymousreply 96March 11, 2023 11:07 PM

I don't think anyone on here should have to explain a fear of dogs. I'm not afraid of dogs, I just think think they should not be in stores and restaurants. Pet owners have taken this shit too far.

by Anonymousreply 97March 11, 2023 11:09 PM

R96 Okay but where did these people keep the dogs before this became a thing and they started to bring them into stores more and more? And why do they need to bring them in now?

by Anonymousreply 98March 11, 2023 11:09 PM

r98 It's a different day and a different generation of adults, now. That's what has changed. Millennials and Gen Z and even some Gen Xers are less bothered by it as a whole.

Obviously, not all people from that generation are cool with it, but let's be real, that's usually the demographic you see doing it. It's not a lot of boomers doing this and if they are, the dog is definitely a service animal.

by Anonymousreply 99March 11, 2023 11:15 PM

[quote] Pet owners have taken this shit too far.

Pet owners should keep theirs outside.

by Anonymousreply 100March 11, 2023 11:19 PM

No, it's usually people who are @ 50s. That's usually what I see.

Also tbh I'm confued by the terms millennial, Gen X, Gen Z even boomers. Boomers were called that because of the baby boom, which was a real phenom post-WWII. But why do we need to label all the subsequent generations? It gets on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 101March 11, 2023 11:42 PM

*confused

by Anonymousreply 102March 11, 2023 11:42 PM

[quote] Pet owners have taken this shit too far.

Pet owners should take responsibility for their own.

by Anonymousreply 103March 11, 2023 11:42 PM

There's too much hair in the OP's video.

by Anonymousreply 104March 11, 2023 11:46 PM

[quote]No, it's usually people who are @ 50s

I know time flies faster than an F-16. But Gen Xers are in their 50s, now, lol.

by Anonymousreply 105March 11, 2023 11:58 PM

"lol"

by Anonymousreply 106March 11, 2023 11:59 PM

Yes. It means "laughing out loud" you insufferable, geriatric, prisspot, r106.

by Anonymousreply 107March 12, 2023 12:03 AM

R105 Well the poster was saying mainly Gen Z and Millennials and "even some" Gen Xers are okay with nit. So I was saying no, it's mainly people in their 50s (GenXers)

by Anonymousreply 108March 12, 2023 12:04 AM

r108 Well, maybe all of the "some" Gen Xers just so happen to live in your 'hood, r108.

I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 109March 12, 2023 12:05 AM

R107 Oh we know what it means, we just assume you also speak "like, literally, lol, like, omg, lmao, literally..."

Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 110March 12, 2023 12:09 AM

[quote]Boomers were called that because of the baby boom, which was a real phenom post-WWII. But why do we need to label all the subsequent generations? It gets on my nerves.

Intergenerational warfare (namecalling, really) is one of DL's most deeply held interests, r101. Bless you for calling it out for the misery it is. It's up there with those who shriek about Far Right Talking Points and those who screech just as loud about Dropping the T. And there's nothing you or I can do about it.

by Anonymousreply 111March 12, 2023 12:18 AM

"Uptick" is a word which I refuse to use.

Is it a noun taken from a verb? And who is the person who is "ticking"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 12, 2023 12:19 AM

r110 So, you're a joyless, socially inept, snob with an inferiority complex who nitpicks over trivial non-issues on the internet.

Got it. Carry on, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 113March 12, 2023 12:29 AM

That reminds me of something - yesterday at work an older woman told me one of her friends thought lol stood for lots of love. So she was signing sympathy cards, "Sorry to hear about your loss. lol"

Hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 114March 12, 2023 12:36 AM

I enjoy taking my dog to the local coffee shop patio and encouraging him to shed in people's $8 coffees.

by Anonymousreply 115March 12, 2023 12:40 AM

^ Do you encourage it to spread its legs and lick its genitals?

by Anonymousreply 116March 12, 2023 12:42 AM

I carry two kinds of small home-made treats.

If I see a person with a dog in circumstances I find a nuisance, I decide if I'm going to provide the "Diarrhea off Days" Pork Balls or the "Death Drop Seizure Truffles" to the mongrel. with a smile.

And then I offer the other one to the pet parent.

by Anonymousreply 117March 12, 2023 12:50 AM

r117 Most people who actually give a shit about their pets and have an iota of sense don't allow people to feed them something they have on them.

by Anonymousreply 118March 12, 2023 1:01 AM

[quote] Most people who actually give a shit

Please do it outside the premises.

by Anonymousreply 119March 12, 2023 1:04 AM

It’s so trashy OP. And it’s a uniquely American thing. I can see if you have a small, clean and very well behaved dog. Trashy people are ruining this country.

by Anonymousreply 120March 12, 2023 1:06 AM

It’s so easy to get a service or emotional support dog nowadays too. I have friends who have gotten it just so they can bring their pets anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 121March 12, 2023 1:07 AM

"Emotional support dog" lol

by Anonymousreply 122March 12, 2023 1:13 AM

r122 Considering the sheer volume of clinically depressed posters on DL, a lot of you could use an emotional support companion of some kind. A lot of people on here have serious issues. And it's usually the posters who have the most to bitch about.

by Anonymousreply 123March 12, 2023 1:15 AM

R123 Well glad to know you're happy, at least. You certainly sound cheerful.

by Anonymousreply 124March 12, 2023 1:29 AM

[quote]Question for the posters who are afraid of dogs: do you feel the same way about other mammals? Like sheep? Ponies?

R84. I am afraid of dogs. Not little dogs, but anything from mid-size and up. I just don't want them around me especially big dogs. Definitely not anything like a German shepherd, Doberman...but not even a collie or Yellow Lab. I am not interested, and I don't want them sensing that I am afraid or even nervous because that's when problems start--and dogs can sense when you are apprehensive in their presence.

Regarding your question, I don't think I have ever encountered sheep or a pony, and I have no desire to do so. If it matters, I have never been on a horse, and I have no intension of ever doing that either. I'm a city boy. I like animals. I want them to thrive and survive. I just don't need to be around them. Keep your dog on a leash and keep them away from me. And no, I have never been attacked or bitten by a dog.

by Anonymousreply 125March 12, 2023 1:41 AM

Pit bulls should be made to go extinct.

by Anonymousreply 126March 12, 2023 1:41 AM

R120, it's not just an American thing. As a poster upthread mentioned, it happens in the UK. I've also seen dogs in restaurants in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 127March 12, 2023 1:42 AM

r124 I never claimed to be cheerful. It was merely an observation about the posters, here. Most people here seem miserable.

by Anonymousreply 128March 12, 2023 1:55 AM

OP I only take my dog where he's allowed, so usually the hardware store and garden centers, I would never take him to the grocery store though or a restaurant, that's kinda of unsanitary and unnecessary.

I had a couple of incidents though at places where dogs are allowed both at Home Depot. This boomer black guy who was with his wife was got mad that I had my doggo with me at the return line of Home depo, mind you this was during the pandemic so we had distance. He demanded I take the dog away and said he didn't want him near him, I told him to mind his business and we traded a few words basically he made a scene and demanded I mask up the dog (lol) and he went to another black guy that works there and told him to kick me out, but he refused since he knew the store allowed dogs.

by Anonymousreply 129March 12, 2023 2:11 AM

r129 I'm not sure what the man's race has to do with anything, but ok.

by Anonymousreply 130March 12, 2023 2:19 AM

R129 You seem "special." Your writing is atrocious, and I have a feeling that story was not entirely factual.

by Anonymousreply 131March 12, 2023 2:20 AM

[R129] I'm not sure what the man's age has to do with anything, but ok.

by Anonymousreply 132March 12, 2023 2:29 AM

When I was at Walmart last week, two women, plainly a couple, entered the store, pulling a Radio Flyer wagon containing two juvenile Weimaraners (while not fully grown, they definitely weren't puppies, either). The dogs were reactionary, and barked really loudly and snapped at everyone they were pulled past. It seemed to follow an endlessly repeating pattern; people would 'ooo' and 'ahh' over them, approach and try to pet them, and get barked and snapped at - and incredibly no one seemed to learn from the previously observed - or at least heard - interaction. People kept approaching them. I shopped in a different direction, avoiding them for as long as they were there; no question about that, since their barks could be heard across the entire store. It wasn't long; I think the couple were there for dog food, went to that aisle at the back of the store and then left.

One had to wonder - why was it that the dogs had to be brought into the store? Couldn't they be left in the vehicle, with one of the pair watching over them while the other went inside to perform the errand? Imagining what possible reasons could make that seem non-viable invited contempt.

by Anonymousreply 133March 12, 2023 2:40 AM

Lesbians cannot be separated from their smelly dogs for long. Everyone knows that.

by Anonymousreply 134March 12, 2023 2:43 AM

R134, that's exactly the kind of generalization I was attempting to avoid. ;)

by Anonymousreply 135March 12, 2023 2:50 AM

R20 I think the laws concerning dogs are actually enforced in the UK . Even Princess Anne went to court when her dog hurt someone. When dogs are allowed in many places it’s because having a well behaved dog is also expected. Not so much like that in the USA. I’m all for bringing them around in public and I also respect peoples allergies.

People bring dogs to horse competitions and use those extendable leashes. The dog lunges suddenly at people and animals and it’s a safety issue in some contexts. I make sure horses are accustomed to that but it’s a problem if everyone gets bum rushed like that.

by Anonymousreply 136March 12, 2023 3:04 AM

They're not "dogs," they're "fur babies." Would you leave a baby at home alone?

by Anonymousreply 137March 12, 2023 3:55 AM

Bottom line, someone shouldn't have to justify why they don't want someone else's animal near them when they are not in the owner's property.

Forget the baby argument: animals are NOT people.

by Anonymousreply 138March 12, 2023 4:34 AM

Ugh, we’ve got an obsessed anti-dog troll.

by Anonymousreply 139March 12, 2023 7:30 AM

r139 They're psychotic. Obviously. I don't trust people who hate dogs or cats. Any domesticated animal, really, unless it's a reptile. I can understand hating snakes and them not being everyone's cup of tea. But dogs and cats? No. That's a weirdo. Full stop.

by Anonymousreply 140March 12, 2023 7:35 AM

I think in most states dogs, except service animals, are not allowed in supermarkets or any business that prepares food. My local supermarket used to be stringent about it but the dog owners have worn them down and they don't enforce it. Last time I was there I saw about 3 dogs in 15 minutes of shopping.

by Anonymousreply 141March 12, 2023 8:02 AM

Ugh, R140, we’ve got an obsessed anti-reptile troll.

by Anonymousreply 142March 12, 2023 8:11 AM

R81 we get it.

You love human spawn.

by Anonymousreply 143March 12, 2023 8:14 AM

Dogs! The biggest spreaders of bed bugs after taking curbside furniture or mattresses into your home.

Steer clear of any business with rugs that encourages dogs, especially clothing stores.

by Anonymousreply 144March 12, 2023 8:29 AM

Dogs need your care

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 12, 2023 8:53 AM

People just waltz into supermarkets, Starbucks, Duane Reade and or any other place that sells food with signs clearly posted at front door saying dogs are not allowed. What gets me is no one on staff from manager on down says a fucking thing.

Once asked a security guard about this and was told upper management told store managers not to bother "certain customers" with pets. Being as this was UWS of Manhattan am assuming that meant white customers.

by Anonymousreply 146March 12, 2023 8:58 AM

I'm tired of people who hate dogs using their allergies as an excuse.

A new guy at work didn't realize we had a dog friendly office policy and after several months complained to HR that he had severe allergies and would die if he worked with dogs. Never mind that he had been doing it for months without realizing and/or dying. He demanded that all dogs be banned and the carpets deep cleaned. The dogs were immediately banned but the carpets were never deep cleaned yet he miraculously lived.

I love seeing dogs on my daily walks, in any and all stores, restaurants, at work, even on airplanes. A couple of years ago my seatmate had an adorable little lapdog and it was hands down the best flight I have ever been on.

Dog hating is indicative of a black and joyless heart and for those who blame allergies what on earth is wrong with your immune system? We don't live in sterile plastic bubbles and you have to learn to coexist with other human, plants, and animals. It reminds me of a woman at a conference who asked me to turn off my cell phone because she was allergic to EMF. I agreed but in actuality did not turn off my phone and miraculously she was fine.

My dog hating co-worker and the neurotic conference woman both used the allergy excuse to control the behavior of other around them and in my opinion it's a sign of madness. Find a way to exist in the world around you. Relinquish the need to control every little thing or start working on that plastic bubble.

by Anonymousreply 147March 12, 2023 9:23 AM

I don't get bringing your dog into a store.

I have a dog, a golden retriever and, as is common with his breed, if I am home he is never more than three feet from me.

But going to a supermarket together would not be fun for either of us.

I'd have to worry that small kids (or adults) would try and pet him when he wasn't looking (it's happened, all he did was growl in surprise, but still)

He'd have to be in a place where there was all sorts of food that he could not eat, and all sorts of people who were too busy shopping to pay attention to him.

Similar logic to why I would not take a toddler to a supermarket.

Dogs are fine being left alone., especially for short periods of time. When people say their dogs don't like being left alone "even for an hour" it seems that is on them, not the dog.

by Anonymousreply 148March 12, 2023 10:34 AM

[quote] [R22] I wish he bit you

Because why?

If it had bit me, I'd probably recover, and it would probably be put down.

So much nicer for everyone if it had just been on a leash and muzzled, with an attentive owner.

by Anonymousreply 149March 12, 2023 10:49 AM

ChatGPT

No, it is generally not legal to bring dogs into supermarkets in NYC, except for certain service animals that are specifically trained to assist individuals with disabilities.

According to the New York City Health Code, dogs are not allowed in areas where food is prepared, stored, or sold, with the exception of service animals. This means that dogs are generally not allowed in supermarkets, grocery stores, or other food establishments, even if they are on a leash or in a carrier.

However, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, some pet stores allow customers to bring their dogs inside while shopping, and some outdoor farmers' markets may allow dogs. It's always a good idea to check with the specific store or market before bringing your dog

by Anonymousreply 150March 12, 2023 11:04 AM

On the flip side of this, people need to be aware of how to act around dogs.

Twice in the past few months I've been walking the dog early when few people are out and a jogger has come up behind us, very close and startled both me and the dog, who lunged and barked before realizing what was going on.

Dogs have an excellent sense of smell and hearing but in a city park they don't always hear joggers, especially when they come up behind you. (And yes, my being startled probably made the dog somewhat more defensive too.)

by Anonymousreply 151March 12, 2023 11:19 AM

All of these stories about dogs acting up in retail environments never happened.

by Anonymousreply 152March 12, 2023 11:52 AM

I never took my dog to Home Depot, but I was under the impression they were specifically allowed in them. I think I’ve seen HD suggested as a place to take a dog in training (not an out of control dog who needs extra training, just a regular dog who is still working on heeling). I think they are also allowed in airports.

Places that serve food or have tighter quarters are different.

I know this comment will be unpopular, but I don’t think dogs belong in cities at all. The vast majority of city dogs are peeing and pooping on sidewalks. And the poop doesn’t always get picked up cleanly. I don’t expect to be able to eat off a sidewalk, but the volume of pee and shit that gets released on them is gross. I reminds me of being a kid in school and hearing about how during the Middle Ages city residents would just dump their bedpans out of windows on to the streets below. And every kid in class would go, “EWWWW!!!” But now we are OK with it, I guess

by Anonymousreply 153March 12, 2023 12:12 PM

[qote]animals are NOT people.

Say it again, and louder, for the back of the room.

[quote]Dog hating is indicative of a black and joyless heart

What a ridiculous statement. I don't hate your dog, I just don't want it in my office, in the market or CVS or in my house. That is not an extreme position.

by Anonymousreply 154March 12, 2023 12:15 PM

I see this in NYC all the time. It’s generally because people are lazy. They walk the dog and then go grocery shopping and bring the dog into the store.

Recently, I saw a woman who was carrying her dog through the grocery store in her purse. That can’t be comfortable for the dog.

I am very against people having dogs in NYC. The other night, I woke up at 4:30 am to hear a dog in another apartment whimpering. I don’t know where the owner was and I would report the person for neglect if I felt it would do any good. That poor dog is cooped up in a very small apartment all day and whimpers quite often.

by Anonymousreply 155March 12, 2023 1:17 PM

Allergy meds do not work for allergic asthma.

by Anonymousreply 156March 12, 2023 1:57 PM

I just visualize dogs brought into supermarkets or restaurants peeing or pooping, potentially, around food.... plus the allure of the food itself, could get into it. Unless it's a real (not owner designated) service dog...they should be kept out of those establishments. It's not sanitary.

by Anonymousreply 157March 12, 2023 2:27 PM

I never really believed in pet allergies until I had a friend who reacted so badly when she came over. Even when we met somewhere else she would start wheezing because of the cat fur or cat dander I must have had on me. I understand it is real, and for that reason I do not understand how they allow dogs and cats inside the cabin on planes. However, I'm glad they do because my cat and I are flying at the end of the month. I just hope all goes well for my fellow passengers.

by Anonymousreply 158March 12, 2023 2:52 PM

I genuinely think some of the dog defenders are mentally Ill. People have to buy food, they can’t leave a toddler home alone. You can leave your dog home alone. The worst thing a toddler can do is be annoying, the worst thing a dog can do is bite or attack someone or shit and pee on the floor. Dogs used to be trained and well behaved and kept out of places. Now lonely dog owners with no friends bring their dogs everywhere to get attention. They aren’t trained because the owner is too lazy for that. There is significant overlap between people who think it’s ok to bring their dog into places that forbid them and people who don’t train them. This is the issue. Bitter people who will never have real families hating on kids and crotchfruit but licking dogs asses. Pathetic really. Get a fucking life and get over your dog, he only loves you because dogs don’t know you’re a loser like all the people who’ve declined to start a family or partnership with you.

by Anonymousreply 159March 12, 2023 3:39 PM

My husband had severe allergies when we first met and said we could never be together because I had a dog. He experienced real physical symptoms, yes. but I think some of it was caused by his mental state, some of it was lack of exposure to animals in his everyday life, plus there were other things in his routine that were not good for his immune system.

We started him off with a regular over the counter allergy pill, changed some of his habits, and suddenly he was fine. The dog sleeps up against him now instead of me and he has zero allergy symptoms. There are people who sneezed or wheezed near a dog once when they were 5 years old who will solemnly tell you they have severe dog allergies like the world is ending. I think the people who can't stop talking about their allergies are severely neurotic and mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 160March 12, 2023 3:40 PM

R160 Please STFU about other peoples' health issues.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 161March 12, 2023 3:45 PM

R140 Hopefully you aren't equating not wanting other peoples' pets in stores with "hating dogs" or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 162March 12, 2023 3:48 PM

R140 I like animals (I’ve had 2 cats and 1 dog in my lifetime so far) but I have to say I’ve never met a psycho dog / cat hater.

Actually there’s a lot of people who like dogs but hate cats and versa versa. Which says something about those type of people as well.

I have met plenty of psycho animal lovers. Plenty.

by Anonymousreply 163March 12, 2023 3:58 PM

I used to work at a niche photo studio and these two lesbians came in with their dog and the “man” said she would not buy a single picture if her dog wasn’t looking at the camera.

Of course the dog was a rambunctious obnoxious spaz who couldn’t sit still for more than half a second.

And she kept threatening that she wouldn’t buy a photo without the dog looking throughout the whole shoot. “Was he looking?” “Was he looking?”

And not to mention the photo sets weren’t designed for dogs. It wasn’t like Sears.

But that’s an “animal lover” to me. Someone who treats their pets as if they’re human because pets can be affectionate without talking back or being fully independent and have short memories.

I hate to drag women into this but it’s the same reason why women love and want babies. Child abuse usually begins when babies turn into toddlers and start thinking for themselves and talking back.

If dogs and cats could actually talk, they would be less appealing to animal lovers.

by Anonymousreply 164March 12, 2023 4:05 PM

I have relatives that will be sick for a full week after exposure to a single dog, they have severe allergies. Strange that we cater so much to other allergies (celiac, peanut), but not for dogs. Frankly, I find it sad that adults can’t simply be alone anymore without a dog at their side, it’s so transparently needy. Get therapy.

by Anonymousreply 165March 12, 2023 4:18 PM

This thread really shows just how unhinged some pet lovers are. I feel so sorry the dogs in some of these situations, being dragged around as a prop. Being forced to run errands instead of playing in big backyards. It is cruel.

by Anonymousreply 166March 12, 2023 4:24 PM

I love dogs.

But I want to slap the shit out of any human who calls them "Fur babies."

by Anonymousreply 167March 12, 2023 4:26 PM

R164 I agree. I always had dogs growing up and we loved them, they were members of the family, but it’s weird to me now that people take this to the extreme. “I love dogs more than people” is just someone telling on themselves that they have poor social skills and/or are not likable. Because the dog loves them no matter what meanwhile humans actually require reciprocity.

by Anonymousreply 168March 12, 2023 4:27 PM

It's UNSANITARY.

by Anonymousreply 169March 12, 2023 4:28 PM

R140 is a good example of the division of people now....and not just politically. If you don't like dogs or cats, which is fine....then they see you as a terrible person, not worthy of trust. I welcome when the day comes that people start using common sense and being rational. That may be a long wait...and at my age, may never see it. People are nuts.

by Anonymousreply 170March 12, 2023 4:30 PM

Just another example of how self-indulgent people have gotten.

They really don't care about anyone but themselves.

I've noticed this at the fitness center I use. In the past year, people have started showing up with Bluetooth speakers instead of headphones/AirPods. They think nothing of BLASTING their music like they've designated themselves as the club's DJ. It's so fucking obnoxious. I can't even hear what I'm listening to.

A year ago, nobody would do that. Now, it is fairly common.

People only ask themselves, "What works for me?" without any consideration for others. Which is why you have all these people bringing pets on planes.

by Anonymousreply 171March 12, 2023 4:35 PM

I decided to look up “why i love dogs more than humans” and I found this video.

It goes right in line with what I suspected. That dogs and babies active the same part of the brains in people, specifically women.

And a survey said women are more likely to save a dog than a human.

Which all makes sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 12, 2023 4:36 PM

Jane Fonda likes to dine out in top restaurants and bring her emotional support dog. The thing is, she never asks for permission. She usually sneaks the dog in in her purse and nobody notices until she's ordered her meal.

by Anonymousreply 173March 12, 2023 4:37 PM

Everyone’s got emotional support animals.

by Anonymousreply 174March 12, 2023 4:38 PM

R171 I would murder someone for that. We really need to go back to shaming people publicly for selfish behavior.

by Anonymousreply 175March 12, 2023 4:40 PM

If you live in a large city like New York and need an emotional support animal, maybe New York is not where you should be.

by Anonymousreply 176March 12, 2023 4:41 PM

What I find missing from a lot of the above comments is what it's like for *the dog.* The overstimulation, the unwelcome pats or loud voice. I cannot stand -- just breaks my heart -- to see dogs at outdoor festivals or anything loud and crowded (fireworks, rallies.) Demonstrates no consideration for the dog.

I know a couple who bought a dog (forget what it's called but the Obamas had one) took this large animal to indoor places despite having no control over it, and then gave it back to the breeder. Spending no time training and returning to sender. That is not someone who considers the dog a part of the family.

Again, I think the dog's perspective, welfare and anxiety needs to come into consideration (even how they react to people yelling at their owner)

And don't get me started on those retractable leashes.

by Anonymousreply 177March 12, 2023 4:43 PM

Depends on the size and type of the dog. Small dogs are rarely a problem. It's the big dogs or the notorious breeds (pit bulls) that get in the way and make it weird and uncomfortable.

I like big dogs, but they don't belong in already cramped crowded places.

by Anonymousreply 178March 12, 2023 4:44 PM

[quote] We really need to go back to shaming people publicly for selfish behavior.

Public shaming no longer works. In order for it to work, a person needs a moral core and to recognize that they are not the center of the universe.

Public shaming used to work on the NYC subway. Some idiot standing in the way could be shamed into moving. Now they just get angry, even when it’s obvious they are a problem like standing in the doorway when people are trying to get on or off.

by Anonymousreply 179March 12, 2023 4:46 PM

R177.., I see those people as using their dogs as an accessory or prop, for attention. I mean, a dog park, or a wide open space...where the dog can run, get fresh air and exercise, I can see. But a crowded venue with loud noises can put a lot of stress on many dogs. It's selfish and unfair to the animal.

by Anonymousreply 180March 12, 2023 4:59 PM

R177 - - that was my point exactly at R148

Going shopping in a crowded supermarket would not be a fun experiences for my dog and his stress would make it a miserable experience for me too.

I will take him to outdoor events if I know we can exit quickly if it gets too crowded or if he seems miserable.-- e.g., some friends play in a corporate softball league and if there's a game in Central Park on a nice day we (dog and I) will sometimes stop by to watch. But that's generally for a few innings, not the whole game, when he gets bored, we'll leave -- which is more or less what you do with a toddler.

by Anonymousreply 181March 12, 2023 5:06 PM

R179 Agreed about public shaming, so make the bad behavior illegal and punish it.

by Anonymousreply 182March 12, 2023 5:23 PM

[quote]Twice in the past few months I've been walking the dog early when few people are out and a jogger has come up behind us, very close and startled both me and the dog, who lunged and barked before realizing what was going on.

r151 Do you have a small dog? I notice people seem to do that with people walking small dogs because they don't find them threatening.

When I would walk my dog, joggers would always cross the street when they saw us. I had a German Shepherd, though.

by Anonymousreply 183March 12, 2023 5:53 PM

I'm a dog person, but never bring my little guys into stores or restaurants or any public buildings.

That said, I work at a university - you wouldn't believe the number of dogs the kids have brought in as 'emotional support dogs' this year. They bring them in and out of every building - and let's just say not all dogs get along with each other. They let them loose on the college greens in the quad, letting them crap everywhere and don't pick up after them. Employees at the college can't say anything to them because it will 'trigger' them, and then they will probably be permitted to take in additional emotional support dogs.

by Anonymousreply 184March 12, 2023 5:59 PM

[quote]They let them loose on the college greens in the quad

Now that is one thing I cannot stand; people who have their dogs off-leash in otherwise non-off-leash areas (i.e. a dog park).

But then again, there are idiots who bring their dogs to dog parks or close to other dogs that they clearly don't have control over and it tends to escalate because "They have dumb owner energy and the dog feeds off of that vibe."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 12, 2023 6:05 PM

R159 this sums it up really. Dogs don't know their owners are morons, they love them unconditionally. Fellow humans are too threatening because they see through these dog lovers' bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 186March 12, 2023 10:39 PM

I always thought it would be nice to have a dog. But I'm too selfish, no matter how much I loved it, I'd still learn to resent having to walk it whenever it needed to go out.

Do they sell anything like dog toilets you can install in your garage or yard?

by Anonymousreply 187March 13, 2023 1:01 AM

Swing around warm bags of excrement, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 188March 13, 2023 1:19 AM

[quote]Hopefully you're gay and don't/can't breed.

We can breed. Dick is just better.

by Anonymousreply 189March 13, 2023 2:01 AM

yeah, my neighbor is like that, she will have her dog off leash in nyc. she walks him around the black a few times. he's a golden poodle.

by Anonymousreply 190March 13, 2023 3:02 AM

[quote] We can breed. Dick is just better.

Yes R189, hence why I said DON'T breed. You're dim.

by Anonymousreply 191March 13, 2023 3:07 AM

Just a few hours ago I was at the grocery store and I heard barking and saw a dog growling and barking at an old woman in a wheel chair, I told the owner she shouldn't have that dog in the store and she pulled the old "support" animal defense. I usually don't say anything but that old lady was practically face to face level with the dog.

by Anonymousreply 192March 13, 2023 3:23 AM

[quote] she walks him around the black a few times.

Typical white privilege!

by Anonymousreply 193March 13, 2023 3:27 AM

R192 Convenient timing for your story

by Anonymousreply 194March 13, 2023 3:39 AM

I just moved to Indy, and it's definitely more common here than it was in New England. Kind of jarring at first.

by Anonymousreply 195March 13, 2023 3:44 AM

It's a problem in the U.S. yet not in other places. Similar to R20's experience, where I live dogs are welcomed most places: department stores, shops, cafes, bars, hotels, many taxis (you can always book one on short notice), inside some restaurants and outside any, the post office, outdoor concerts and park events, on the train, etc. The typical exceptions are grocery stores and inside better restaurants.

Dogs here are accustomed to being around other animals and strangers. More importantly, their owners are not neurotic as fuck. It's a long time and many dogs before you encounter a poorly behaved one. It's simply a reflection of more relaxed public and of owners who instill fundamental discipline (and a respect for controlling their dogs for the benefit of all.)

Screaming at a dog owner about allergies or who owns the sidewalk is bad form and unnecessary in any but extreme and rare lapses. At the same time people are quick to try to locate an owner if a dog has become entangled, wandered off from where he was sitting, or shit without the owner noticing and cleaning up after it.

It's a different world from the U.S. where high string dog owners and poorly disciplined neurotic dogs seem always on edge everywhere, where a dog park is not a place to let your dog enjoy some freedom but class warfare and a battle of stern looks

by Anonymousreply 196March 13, 2023 3:51 AM

Where do you live R196?

by Anonymousreply 197March 13, 2023 10:29 AM

R183 - he is a golden retriever, so a large dog.

One of them actually ran between us, sort of jumped over the leash, which is a regular leash, not one of those retractable ones. I usually listen to podcasts while I walk the dog (he likes long walks) and there's rarely anyone out at that hour other than people walking their dogs. Joggers too but they are usually on the jogging path which was why I was not paying much attention.

And the dog was not wrong-- my first reaction was that someone was trying to attack us too. It's a narrow path but just say "excuse me" or something to let us know you are coming. That would be true if I was dog-less too.

by Anonymousreply 198March 13, 2023 10:34 AM

[quote]I never really believed in pet allergies until I had a friend who reacted so badly when she came over.

[quote]There are people who sneezed or wheezed near a dog once when they were 5 years old who will solemnly tell you they have severe dog allergies like the world is ending.

How is it possible not to "believe in" pet allergies? Do you realize some dogs are also allergic to the dander of humans? You would probably believe that. If your dog was having a reaction. But people? They're just fakers!

Just for the record: "When you have a pet allergy, you are not allergic to the pet's hair, fur, or feathers. You are allergic to the protein that is found in the pet's dander (dead skin cells) saliva, and urine. The hair, fur, or feathers collect the dander. It can also carry other allergens like dust mites, mold, and pollen." (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America)

by Anonymousreply 199March 13, 2023 4:45 PM

Pest in grocery stores are disgusting. Indoor restaurants too.

by Anonymousreply 200March 13, 2023 5:20 PM

There is also a major issue of bringing multiple dogs into places at one time. They naturally want to play or interact (or potentially fight or play fight). I’ve been at a restaurant where 2 large dogs started play fighting and nearly knocked over a table and stroller (outdoors). It’s scary for other people and also not fair to ask the dogs to just sit and stare at eachother.

by Anonymousreply 201March 13, 2023 5:30 PM

It's unsanitary, especially in grocery stores and restaurants. If you can't leave the house without your dog, get a maid to do your shopping and never dine out.

by Anonymousreply 202March 13, 2023 5:31 PM

Just today in the place where I work, someone brought in a dog. Coincidence. Small, fluffy. Carried it in her arms. I gave it a wide berth.

by Anonymousreply 203March 13, 2023 5:34 PM

I love seeing them everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 204March 13, 2023 5:41 PM

These dog fetishists have no respect for other people. They don't care if they send someone with severe allergies to the hospital as long as they can bring their precious "Fluffy" with them every minute of every day.

Awful people who have difficulty forming relationships with humans, so instead pretend the dogs are "people" too.

Dogs are just dogs. They don't want to go grocery shopping. They don't want to sit on a restaurant floor while you eat. They want to go to the park, to the beach, to smell other dogs' butts, to play in their own yard, they don't want to be with some old lady 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 205March 13, 2023 5:48 PM

What is the main reason some of you want to bring animals into human spaces? Your house, car, and the outdoors should be where you keep your dog. (Or anyone else's house where they agree to it). Dogs are not human. Not people. Stores, libraries, churches, schools - they don't belong there.

Anywhere from 1 in 10 to 3 in 10 people are allergic to dogs. If you think people wearing cologne and perfume is bad, Dogs are worse.

by Anonymousreply 206March 13, 2023 5:48 PM

[quote]Full stop.

*eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 207March 13, 2023 6:50 PM

dog bite

Doggie do right

by Anonymousreply 208March 13, 2023 6:52 PM

R205 - our Corgi wants to be where we are. He loves the places we take him because he knows he’ll get a little table scraps (outdoor patio dining) or a treat (bodega/minimart that allows dogs; coffee shop with “pup cups” of whipped cream).

He gets SO excited when we mention going to “the store” or knows we’re near our usual coffee places.

It’s adorable, charming, and if the business owner(s) allow it what’s the harm?

We do not take him into businesses that don’t allow it, such as a pharmacy (CVS), store (Target, etc), and especially not take out restaurants or grocery stores.

But dogs love their special events, too. His little lit up corgi face is adorable when he gets these special trips.

by Anonymousreply 209March 13, 2023 7:03 PM

OP apparently struck a nerve! I don’t mind pets if they are clean and quiet. In my experience, the most ill behaved creatures in the stores are children throwing tantrums while their parents stand by smirking, expecting us to endure the piercing shrieks.

by Anonymousreply 210March 13, 2023 7:29 PM

I also love the eldergay HISSING at R185 about off-leash dogs in the city.

In Evanston and Chicago it’s illegal to have your dog off leash in any park. We break that law all the time so our guy can run free and play fetch. Tons of unused park/green fields that the elderjews and eldergays just want to stare at from behind their lace curtains.

This linked article is from 2019 where residents east of Boystown want a designated off leash dog park in like the shittiest area right by the on-ramp of Lake Shore Drive. The hissing elderjews in the buildings there have bitched and moaned against it. STILL gone nowhere. Having the dog park was finally on the ballot (non-binding referendum) and passed with majority of the support last year, but old voters like OP treat a dog park like its methadone clinic.

So we run our dog off leash in the park instead along with many others so they can hiss and watch their blood pressure spike either way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 13, 2023 8:17 PM

80% of voters support a dog park in Boystown, but oldies just want to make no spaces for dogs anywhere. Like OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 13, 2023 8:20 PM

The Datalounge "No Dogs Allowed" squad will hate the last section of this video. Start at 7:38.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 13, 2023 8:21 PM

Keep your fucking dogs on leashes unless it's a designated,, fenced area where they can be off-leash. If there isn't such an area nearby, then don't fucking do it.

Don't take them to stores, even if you imagine that the dogs "like" it and even if the stores don't mind. THE PEOPLE MIND. People in those stores have allergies, people in cafes have allergies. Give your fucking dogs table scraps at home for God's sake. They are not welcome everywhere that you dog owners go.

Were you people raised by wolves (or dogs)? Do you really not know how to behave around other human beings? Or do you just not give a fuck about anyone else's illnesses, allergies, etc.

Keep your animals at home. In parks on leashes where they are at least somewhat welcome is also acceptable. It is unacceptable to shove your animals in other people's spaces. I didn't go out for a coffee to share it with a fucking dog.

by Anonymousreply 214March 13, 2023 8:32 PM

Most dog breeds, except for some more wolf-ish ones, have developed special facial muscles around the eyes that permit them deploying human-manipulating expressions - specifically that "love me " gaze. Muscles they never use when interacting with other dogs.

by Anonymousreply 215March 13, 2023 8:34 PM

Hiss, eldergay, HISS!

Shake your fist behind your lace curtains!

Clip those coupons for 2-for-1 Metamucil!

by Anonymousreply 216March 13, 2023 8:35 PM

Meanwhile my dog is going to shit in your prized begonias, HAROLD.

by Anonymousreply 217March 13, 2023 8:36 PM

I really have never seen anyone sit idly by while their toddler throws a tantrum. The parent is either yelling at them or trying desperately to reason with them. Nobody thinks a tantrum by their kid is cute. More bullshit by bitter childless people.

by Anonymousreply 218March 13, 2023 8:42 PM

I love dogs but unless they are a service animal, they need to stay at home. They also need to be leashed in public areas. Too many dog owners are absolute raging narcissists who are irresponsible and entitled. They don't care about dogs at all. Because if they did they'd understand that DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE. They are a completely different species from mankind and have different needs. Dogs do not belong in crowded and narrow spaces where they can become anxious and paranoid nor do they need to be in grocery stores, restaurants and coffee shops where they can spread germs and bacteria and shed hair around food that people are going to eat.

They are doing more harm to their dogs in the long run by treating them like security blankets they need to carry around everywhere. And the ones who compared to dogs to babies and toddlers are morons. Babies and toddlers can't kill someone or someone else's dog by getting defensive or triggered and people aren't allergic to small kids.

The issue is stupid dog owners who have no consideration for other people nor consideration for how thier animal actually feels. Of course, these narcissists will deflect blame and accuse their critics of "hating dogs and being monsters." Gimme a break!

by Anonymousreply 219March 13, 2023 8:46 PM

I see it everywhere. Was shopping this weekend and there was a snarling Pomeranian in the hardware store.

I hate Poms. They're snarling bags of bones and I would stomp one to death if it tried shit with me. (Sorry, I love almost all dogs but I really loathe nasty little dogs that are unfriendly and growling 24/7)

by Anonymousreply 220March 13, 2023 8:48 PM

r198 Oh, ok. Well, then the person was just an idiot. Clearly. Or maybe they thought Golden Retriever = not aggressive and won't lunge if it feels threatened or startled. That's still dumb on their part, either way.

Still, that could be a sign that he's mildly leash reactive and can be corrected. It's common with dogs who have a high prey drive. My GSD had a problem when she was a puppy with lunging at cars which, for obvious reasons, freaked me the hell out because if she broke away, I knew she'd run into the street. I took her to a trainer that specialized specifically in training GSDs for police work (I wasn't playing any games with that mess) and her leash reactivity completely disappeared.

There were only a few incidents of joggers coming around a corner behind us (they didn't see her first so, not their fault) and the most she would do would be to edge toward them for a "smell test" and I'd correct her by saying "leave it" and she'd stop. Not saying the joggers who can clearly see you and your dog but still insist on coming up behind you aren't dim, but some leash reactivity training could still help to minimize that.

I was just super paranoid about having a leash-reactive GSD because the first thing people think when they see a GSD acting like that is..."vicious/aggressive German Shepherd."

Love this guy's videos, also:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221March 13, 2023 8:52 PM

R219 you totally confused all the posters in the Model Jeff Thomas dies thread

by Anonymousreply 222March 13, 2023 8:59 PM

What kind of a weirdo doesn't like dogs?

by Anonymousreply 223March 13, 2023 9:03 PM

It is sad to me when pet owners turn the pets into humans and try to make it seem like pets are having human emotions. No honey, you are projecting your feelings on to animals. What so many so-called pet lovers do to their animals is shameful. Quite a few must be posting in this thread. Your dog doesn't care if you get the high priced dog food. Your dog doesn't care about going to Target.

by Anonymousreply 224March 13, 2023 9:04 PM

[quote]I also love the eldergay HISSING at [R185] about off-leash dogs in the city.

r211 First of all, I'm a millennial lesbian. And am not bothered by well-controlled dogs in human-spaces. In my personal experience, too many people have dogs off-leash who have no business being off-leash. Just because they have no issues with people, doesn't mean there wouldn't be an incident with another dog. Dogs who are leashed tend to feel threatened by dogs approaching them off-leash (they feel cornered). A lot of off-leash dogs aren't properly socialized with other dogs to respond appropriately to a "back off growl or snap" by a leashed dog that they approach and it can escalate to a fight.

by Anonymousreply 225March 13, 2023 9:05 PM

A lesbian? And you don’t own like 4 German shepherds? I don’t believe you.

by Anonymousreply 226March 13, 2023 9:13 PM

r226 I had one German Shepherd and one pitbull mix. I am currently petless because I just recently had to put my GSD down due to cancer and am not ready for another one, yet.

No, I am not ashamed of the obvious stereotype. Loved them both dearly.

by Anonymousreply 227March 13, 2023 9:19 PM

r223

I agree

by Anonymousreply 228March 13, 2023 9:25 PM

I want to go on record stating that it takes a pure psychopath to intentionally dump dog hair, germs and diseases all over open food areas like grocery stores or restaurants.

Get some help.

by Anonymousreply 229March 13, 2023 9:28 PM

^ Nobody tell 'em.

by Anonymousreply 230March 13, 2023 9:30 PM

I had to fire my dentist, whom I liked until he started letting patients bring their dog to the dentist office.

I’m still livid. People need to get a backbone with this crap. That is illegal among other obvious issues.

by Anonymousreply 231March 13, 2023 9:31 PM

The doggie psychos are like serial killers. I think there is a connection because they don’t see other people as humans.

I bet that all the past serial killers had a pet that they loved and afforded.

by Anonymousreply 232March 13, 2023 9:33 PM

I’m sorry to hear that R227. 🥺

by Anonymousreply 233March 13, 2023 9:51 PM

I have 2 dogs, I'm pretty sure they don't want to come to the grocery store or a restaurant with me.

by Anonymousreply 234March 13, 2023 9:56 PM

[quote]It is sad to me when pet owners turn the pets into humans and try to make it seem like pets are having human emotions. No honey, you are projecting your feelings on to animals. What so many so-called pet lovers do to their animals is shameful.

Agreed. It's an especially American thing to do this and to always have the attitude of "it's me and my perfect dog against the world "

People in other countries love their dogs no less, they just love them in healthier ways and don't infantilize them and use them as buffers against the world.

by Anonymousreply 235March 13, 2023 10:12 PM

[quote] Swing around warm bags of excrement, anyone?

Warm bags made of thin plastic.

by Anonymousreply 236March 13, 2023 10:18 PM

American thing? Pshaw!

Watch these Finnish owners take their Corgi Topi around Venice - on gondolas, boats, and out to eat!

I will not rest until you dog loathers stroke out with rage at the thought of people and their pets enjoying life together. There are plenty of thoughtful dog owners who are allowed to take their pets many places - and it is not an entitled American phenomenon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237March 13, 2023 10:32 PM

A dog in a row boat on a fetid canal is not what people are complaining here about. False equivalency. We don't want them in stores and restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 238March 13, 2023 10:50 PM

Or the fucking dentist office. Psychos!

by Anonymousreply 239March 13, 2023 11:03 PM

He is in several restaurants and hotels and beaches and off leash in that video!

Can you imagine trying to browse Grindr in your designer caftan while trying to enjoy a nice Italian Prosecco in lovely VENEZIA… and there’s a filthy cur at the table beside you?! Grab your life alert, ma’am!

by Anonymousreply 240March 13, 2023 11:03 PM

It’s no coincidence that evil villains are often depicted petting their pets.

by Anonymousreply 241March 13, 2023 11:04 PM

I saw we start bringing alligators to grocery stores and restaurants. As a matter of fact I’m going to do this next time.

I sure hope they don’t eat all the mangey pets that these assholes have bringing out lately. That would be a real shame.

by Anonymousreply 242March 13, 2023 11:05 PM

My brother was in a nursing home and management encouraged me to take my brother's cat to visit him. Everyone wanted to hold the cat so he was passed around for over two hours. Old Domino is a total slut for attention and started reaching out to people like "Ok you hold me now". It's wonderful what a difference animals can make in people's lives. My brother was so weak, he barely had the strength to pat Domino's head but he was so proud to have a friendly cat who was loved by all.

by Anonymousreply 243March 13, 2023 11:10 PM

Yeah you probably killed off a few grannys due to unnecessary atshma attacks and infected flea bites on that crepe skin but ok.

by Anonymousreply 244March 13, 2023 11:22 PM

Goddamn, some of you are miserable as hell. What a headache it must be to be around you for extended periods of time. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 245March 13, 2023 11:41 PM

People just want a return to proportionality and civility. Remember those?

by Anonymousreply 246March 13, 2023 11:51 PM

Do dogs follow the Bristol Scale?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247March 13, 2023 11:56 PM

r243, that was a terrific story. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 248March 13, 2023 11:57 PM

[quote]I saw we start bringing alligators to grocery stores and restaurants.

Oh, HELL yeah!

by Anonymousreply 249March 13, 2023 11:57 PM

It's the old story: a well-intentioned exception is made in the rules to benefit a few needy souls, but is co-opted and distorted by frauds. It's why we have a culture of lowest-common-denominator rewards and punishments. Little is expected and little is given.

by Anonymousreply 250March 14, 2023 12:12 AM

Jesus Christ. I find it very hard to believe this many DL’ers are dog haters. Could someone please do us the favor of determining which troll is responsible for 3/4 of the commentary on this thread?

Either that, or some of y’all bitches need to unclench once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 251March 14, 2023 12:19 AM

[quote] y’all bitches need to unclench once in a while.

We will unclench when animals are taught to keep their sphincters clenched in communal places.

by Anonymousreply 252March 14, 2023 12:24 AM

Quick! Post things that make the eldergays HISS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253March 14, 2023 12:37 AM

Don’t go to WisCAHNsin! Think of the ALLERGENS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254March 14, 2023 12:43 AM

R243 You had the permission of the management - in fact they encouraged you - to bring your brother's cat to visit him in the nursing home. Other than the person who replied negatively, I don't think too many people are objecting to any of what you described.

It has nothing to do with people bringing their dogs into stores and public buildings.

by Anonymousreply 255March 14, 2023 12:52 AM

If you are so allergic to dogs you might die from some dog hair you need to be on Prednisone. A little or medium sized dog here or there (not shitting and peeing) is not bothering most people.

That said if a place says no dogs allowed follow their rules.

by Anonymousreply 256March 14, 2023 1:18 AM

R256 Did you ask them? How do you know they're not bothered?

by Anonymousreply 257March 14, 2023 1:23 AM

And who's to decide what is the cutoff size is for a dog someplace? You think people with larger dogs aren't going to want to take their dog inside, too?

Earlier I mentioned a woman had a dog in her arms in my workplace (a public building). Surprisingly, later in the day another woman wanted to come in with a huge dog. She asked if she had to tie it up outside and I said yes. She was nice about it but the point is, she brought the dog in, first. She half-expected to be let in with it. Not that long ago, no one ever brought a dog in. Never. It's suddenly become an epidemic. Very suddenly.

by Anonymousreply 258March 14, 2023 1:27 AM

My God, what a bunch of miserable cunts some of you are. If you don't like dogs, or are allergic to them, just stay away. I'm allergic to cats, you know what? I am fine if I stay away.

by Anonymousreply 259March 14, 2023 3:47 AM

Ok but you’re ok with car hair being in the olive bar?

Some stores even smell like pets now when you walk in. It’s not like retail stores clean their stores anymore. That’s a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 260March 14, 2023 3:57 AM

I was in an elevator today in a medical building, (all doctor's offices--no vets), and a couple entered with their dog. I'm not allergic, but I know people who are. It's rude. Go to the dog park.

by Anonymousreply 261March 14, 2023 4:08 AM

R259 how exactly does one stay away from a dog that's been brought into a grocery store? Are people supposed to leave and not buy essentials until selfish cunts like yourself decide to exit? Why don't dog loving cunts like yourself stay away since you're the one invading spaces meant for people?

God the utter self centered narcissism of pet owners thes days.

by Anonymousreply 262March 14, 2023 5:02 AM

It’s the entitlement of some dog owners that annoys me. “My dog is a SERVICE dog! I forgot his vest and tags” Bitch, you bought that vest off Amazon.

Last year I saw a couple in a jewelry store with an Akita puppy. The puppy made a mess on the floor and the fucking owners fled with their dog

by Anonymousreply 263March 14, 2023 11:05 AM

Ask to speak to the manager, Karen!

by Anonymousreply 264March 14, 2023 11:20 AM

Some of these tinier dogs Velcro to the owner.

by Anonymousreply 265March 14, 2023 12:45 PM

How very dare you op! It's not like it's an alligator!

You wouldn't let puppies in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266March 14, 2023 12:47 PM

Years ago most strange dogs seemed friendly. They’d wag their tails and “smile” at everyone. Now when I’m out walking and I see someone with a dog coming towards me the dog almost always looks unfriendly if not downright hostile. It seems really weird because it didn’t used to be that way.

I do like dogs in general but I liked them better when they were just pets. Not doggos, fur kids, emotional support, etc., because they’re as neurotic as their owners are now.

by Anonymousreply 267March 14, 2023 1:51 PM

R262 - not a single person in this thread has advocated bringing a dog to a grocery store.

No one has said they had.

Stop with the straw men. You naysayers are being prisspots that don’t want dogs ANYWHERE publicly.

by Anonymousreply 268March 14, 2023 1:57 PM

That's it exactly, R267.

I see the difference geographically: worse in the U.S. with its edgy, nervous, neurotic dogs/owners as you describe, and calmer in both species in much of Europe. But you describe the root of the phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 269March 14, 2023 2:47 PM

R267, I have a sister who's neurotic & all of her pet cats have been too -- whereas I'm mellow/sluggish to a fault & all of my cats have always been the same. Unlike the solitary feline species, dogs are herd animals & must therefore be sensitive to their pack leader's moods, so I wouldn't be surprised if they might share any neuroses harbored by the humans they live with.

by Anonymousreply 270March 14, 2023 3:16 PM

R262. Pretty easy. Stay ten feet away. Pretend it's a maskless person during covid, You'll be fine. If you're that worried, take a benadryl for christ sake you paranoid cunt. PS. Grocery stores are not appropriate to take a dog. Sitting outside at a coffee shop? Totally appropriate. Better yet stay home alone and use Amazon because you're insufferable. Save the masses from dealing with the likes of you.

by Anonymousreply 271March 14, 2023 4:19 PM

OR you can leave your selfish narcissistic ass at home like people managed to do for hundreds of years before society catered to your substitute-for-children R271. We all know humans hate you so you throw yourself at dogs and pretend they love you back.

P.S. your dog doesn't love you, you just control his food dish.

by Anonymousreply 272March 14, 2023 4:25 PM

I've posted before - I'm a part-time weekend concierge at a luxury apartment building in New England. I've been here for many years - I can't tell you the increase in dogs in the building, even though this is supposed to be a "dog free' building, except for service dogs.

When I started, there was one blind woman who lived here with her service dog. (She is still here, with her second service dog). However, since the pandemic, everyone under the age of 40 now has an 'emotional support dog'. Millennials and Zoomers are now triggered by everything in the building and need their 'emotional support dog' to live here - seriously. Such a joke.

by Anonymousreply 273March 14, 2023 4:35 PM

Call the health department on the store and have a good day.

by Anonymousreply 274March 14, 2023 4:41 PM

I haven't had any bad experiences with dogs in stores. I can understand if people are afraid to tie their dogs up outside the store, because small dogs do get stolen. In that case, JUST DON'T BRING YOUR DOG WITH YOU SHOPPING!

by Anonymousreply 275March 14, 2023 4:47 PM

R272 Hit a nerve did I? LOL. Fuck you, get over it. People with pets are never going away. People can't possibly like you at all. I hope your misery increases every time you leave your house.

by Anonymousreply 276March 14, 2023 4:48 PM

R276 what nerve would that be? That society is full of narcissistic losers who can't leave their house without the only creature who can stand them- their dog? Yes I suppose I do mourn the loss of mature individuals who had friends and family who could stand to be in their presence and not the freaks who can't function around people anymore.

by Anonymousreply 277March 14, 2023 5:03 PM

R277 Your continued misery is guaranteed because this isn't going to change just because YOU are pissed off about it. Talk about narcissism. Jesus .

by Anonymousreply 278March 14, 2023 5:18 PM

My God, what a bunch of miserable cunts some of you are. If you don't like dogs, or are allergic to them, just stay away. I'm allergic to cats, you know what? I am fine if I stay away.

R259 Stay away from where, exactly? Stay inside and don't go anywhere? Please explain. Because if you don't know where dogs are likely to be or if they now can be everywhere, what are the options?

If people didn't expect or want dogs to come into retail establishments or public buildings in the recent past (and they didn't), were all those people miserable cunts? Or maybe the miserable cunts are people who force their animals on the rest of the people who don't really want them there.

by Anonymousreply 279March 14, 2023 6:54 PM

Sorry, should have quoted this part:

[quote]My God, what a bunch of miserable cunts some of you are. If you don't like dogs, or are allergic to them, just stay away. I'm allergic to cats, you know what? I am fine if I stay away.

by Anonymousreply 280March 14, 2023 6:55 PM

Stay inside and don't go anywhere? Yes, R279 you should. You seem to have a real issue living in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 281March 14, 2023 9:43 PM

[quote] We all know humans hate you so you throw yourself at dogs and pretend they love you back.

Yes. Friendless humans keep dogs because they can't handle human beings.

by Anonymousreply 282March 14, 2023 10:06 PM

A woman brought a large, rambling, clumsy ' support' dog to a concert at a synagogue I attend: limited space and a que needed for ticket-holders to check in and present credentials: you know, in case of any anti-semitic crazies who might have wanted to provide a little drama. The dog was VERY obviously NOT under control -- banging into people, some of whom were elderly, frail, and using walkers. It was a fucking HAZARD. I said something to her. Nothing challenging or hostil,e but she laughed and said she was 'training' it. I get that, but on that occasion, I thought she should have left the damned thing home. It was a nuisance. I think security made her sit in the back, far away from the rest of the audience, and with a very tight rein on the mutt. It would be better to take a dog that unseasoned to a mall or a place where it has a little more room to roam, until it learns to stand close to its owner.

by Anonymousreply 283March 14, 2023 10:22 PM

Animals should NOT enter synagogues!

by Anonymousreply 284March 14, 2023 10:34 PM

I like dogs and own one but don't want them in retail spaces. I have lots of stories. At Big Lots several months ago while shopping for - dog treats! - I turned a corner and suddenly a large german shepherd was barking and lunging at me. Fortunately my cart was between us. The dog continued to bark and snarl while his owner said, "It's okay, he's friendly." I said "The hell he is or he wouldn't be snapping at me - get that dog completely away from me!"

And as OP trolled, there is definitely an increase in the number of pets in retail spaces, and the answer is easy. During the coviddening, people and their dogs got extra bonded with all that time together. Now they don't want to be away from each other. So dog mom takes the dog everywhere. I don't do this. My dog only goes to the groomer and vet. We went to Pet Smart once but he peed on something and I decided not to bring him back.

At Costco recently, I was looking at Xmas decorations and suddenly I felt something wet and cold touch the back of my knee and then lick it. I looked and there was a handsome pittie mix puppy, very similar to the one I have. The owner apologized while the dog continued to lick my shin for some reason. Then he peed on the ground at my feet. The dog owner grabbed a giant case of toilet paper and used a roll from it to clean up.

My favorite is a local church - Episcopalian, natch - that allows dogs to accompany their owners to the communion bench.

by Anonymousreply 285March 14, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote] The dog owner grabbed a giant case of toilet paper

Did the dog owner have it on hand because this dog urinates frequently?

by Anonymousreply 286March 14, 2023 10:43 PM

No R286, he grabbed the TP from a shelf at Costco. Used one roll to clean up. I don't know if he purchased the remainder or not.

by Anonymousreply 287March 14, 2023 10:54 PM

Oh. I get it now. R279 ie either blind or stupid. 10 feet has been my rule of thumb. You can get closer if you don't get any of their dander on you. Ask an allergist you fucking hypochondriac, they will tell you similar

by Anonymousreply 288March 14, 2023 11:58 PM

IF the dog is well behaved and doesn't poop or pee or bark and growl at peopleI don't any problem with it. But for some people their allergies are so acute that the presence of a dog causes their throats to close up.

I witnessed an unpleasant scene is a small bookstore. A woman came in with her pet lab; every time someone would come in the store the dog would bark at them. And the woman would say "She's not goint to bite you." A man came in the store, the dog barked at him and the woman said "She's not going to bite you." And the man said "I know it's not. Because I'd kill it! I'd break its neck!" Yes, he threatened to kill the dog. He raged at her, telling her dogs weren't allowed in public places unless it was a service dog. The woman, near tears, said "I'm sorry" and the guy snarled at her "You should be sorry, you should be falling all over yourself being sorry!" I thought the guy was too harsh, but he had a point. If the dog was going to act like that the woman should never have brought the animals to the store.

Unless the dog IS a service animal people should leave them at home. Taking your dog everywhere with you is harmful to the dog. The dog could get stolen or injured or die in a hot car. Lots of people for some reason take their dogs with them when they go the hair salon or grocery store and leave the poor thing locked in the car while they shop or get their hair done.

by Anonymousreply 289March 15, 2023 12:18 AM

Huge uptick in ugly assholes (OP) on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 290March 15, 2023 12:19 AM

I live in NYC. This evening I was coming home and a woman had her dog peeing in the street and a car had to stop and wait for the dog to finish. The driver showed a lot of restraint in not blowing their horn.

by Anonymousreply 291March 15, 2023 12:51 AM

If you are carrying around a plastic bag with dookey in it then your life has gone horribly wrong somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 292March 15, 2023 12:55 AM

We need to tick up those ugly assholes, R290, don't we?

by Anonymousreply 293March 15, 2023 12:55 AM

Anyone who has spent any time on DL know that the majority of DLers are cat people.

Hence all the dog hatred.

I have even seen it posited on here many times that tops have dogs and bottoms have cats.

This always made me laugh as it is a perfect example of DLers treating tops and bottoms as if they were ethnic groups. (Which would make "vers" mulattos)

by Anonymousreply 294March 15, 2023 2:36 AM

People just don't understand that dogs are very decorative accessories.

by Anonymousreply 295March 15, 2023 2:39 AM

Dog excrement is immutable.

by Anonymousreply 296March 15, 2023 2:44 AM

Imagine being such a miserable cunt of a loser like OP and R272. Fat, smelly, aging bottoms who will probably die alone with their cats.

by Anonymousreply 297March 15, 2023 6:04 AM

Pre-pandemic, if you were walking your dog it was not uncommon for someone to stop and ask if they could say hello or for another dog owner to stop so the dogs could briefly socialize.

That stopped during the pandemic though and if you saw someone on the street you'd move away from them, cross the street to avoid them, duck in a doorway to let them pass.

Dogs do not understand the concept of pandemic.

They just knew that for some reason you considered this other person to be a threat and were trying to avoid them.

So the dog would do what dogs naturally do which is to try and protect their humans. They'd growl, bark and otherwise try and keep the other person away, since that is clearly what their human wanted.

It will take some time to unlearn this behavior. I have to remember to be very vocal every time we do stop and talk to someone, telling my dog that it is okay and letting my voice and body language convey that this stranger is not a threat.

by Anonymousreply 298March 15, 2023 10:28 AM

I fell the same way about cats in stores and public buildings.

by Anonymousreply 299March 15, 2023 2:02 PM

The real estate video in another thread has the agents dog going into every room and laying in every bed.

What a psycho. These people need to be fined and isolated from decent society.

by Anonymousreply 300March 15, 2023 4:04 PM

I was at South Coast Plaza during a weekday morning last week and was surprised by how many people brought their dogs to go shopping. Are high end stores more willing to accommodate your pets because you might buy something?

by Anonymousreply 301March 15, 2023 4:37 PM

I used to belong to a cycle studio that allowed free range pets; the dogs didn't really bother anyone & seemed strangely unmoved by the sound of the music & commotion, but...it just kind of bugged me. This was right after COVID restrictions were lifted and it just seemed like another layer of grime from animals (in addition to the people) that the studio likely wasn't cleaning up. But any complaints would be equated to being a nazi, so I just never went back.

by Anonymousreply 302March 15, 2023 4:44 PM

The way the pet owners make you feel bad if you don’t carry their burdens around it’s so antisocial and psychotic. These people don’t register as fully human. They have zero disregard for others. The types that would step over you if you dropped dead.

by Anonymousreply 303March 15, 2023 4:46 PM

[quote]They have zero disregard for others.

Uh....

by Anonymousreply 304March 15, 2023 4:55 PM

R219- John Frank Stossel has stated her boundaries.

(I agree with her, though. Mostly.)

by Anonymousreply 305March 15, 2023 6:42 PM

I wish that they’d stop, but they won’t. Might as well just get used to it 😑

by Anonymousreply 306March 15, 2023 7:29 PM

R305 I carry a spray can of disinfectant if the filthy animal gets too close.

by Anonymousreply 307March 15, 2023 9:29 PM

Is South Coast Plaza in California?

by Anonymousreply 308March 17, 2023 10:47 AM

Bringing your dog everywhere is an act of hostility to the people who have to then deal with your dog and whatever allergies or issues they have with dogs.

They don't belong in stores, restaurants, cafes or any place humans are congregating and using that space.

Be at home, be at the park or the beach or whatever, as long as it's in designated dog-friendly areas.

by Anonymousreply 309March 19, 2023 2:40 AM

Yeah, ultimately I don't think it's just about allergies. Normally, we deal with other people's pets in their homes, or outdoors when they're walking the dog, let's say. Maybe in the car. This is usually the boundary. Now pet owners are shifting the boundary and saying we must accept their dogs in more of our mutual spaces. Most people don't want to make a stink about it and be a Karen. The businesses are slackening their rules because (I'm assuming) online shopping has cut down their in-person business. So beggars can't be choosers.

by Anonymousreply 310March 19, 2023 3:03 AM

Again, in much the way that good parents don't bring their toddlers to stores because it's not fun for the toddler, good pet parents don't bring their dogs to stores because it's not fun for the dog.

by Anonymousreply 311March 19, 2023 10:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312March 19, 2023 12:12 PM

There's something specific to the American dog culture that is totally self-centered and confrontational. The dogs in this country also seem a lot more anxious, jumpy, barky, and just super annoying. This must reflect their owners' energy and how they are trained/raised. I can't stand the dog culture in the US and avoid all dogs in public because the owners are so annoying and unable to understand basic public boundaries, but when I was in Italy for almost a month last year (Naples, Palermo, Catania, Lecce), I noticed within days that there were dogs everywhere but they rarely barked at people in public or bothered anyone. They seemed so relaxed and well-behaved compared to American dogs and the owners didn't expect every passerby to engage with their "fur baby" and act offended if you don't want to stop to ask about their dog as American frauen and millenials seem to do. I've noticed the same thing in other countries. Something about contemporary American culture and pets is just really off.

by Anonymousreply 313March 19, 2023 2:57 PM

When I worked in a department store decades ago, we'd sometimes find small piles of dog shit on the tables of goods that were up the back, in a corner, etc. In some cases, hundreds of dollars worth of goods would have to thrown out. Then there was the cleaning. It was women bringing in small dogs carried in their arms, roaming the store for ages, then Fluffy or whoever would need to go to the toilet. They didn't even have the decency to walk and toilet their dogs before bringing them to the store. Just disgusting and inconsiderate. And stupid.

by Anonymousreply 314March 19, 2023 11:43 PM

A recent story out of Colorado reminded of this thread. The dog's owners were "training" it in a Home Depot when it bit someone who will now require facial surgery. The irresponsible owners fled and had to be tracked down by the authorities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315April 7, 2023 8:10 PM

Love dogs, but don’t want to see them in a store, in an Uber driver’s car or on a plane. If you didn’t give birth to them, provide the seed to make them or share their species, then they’re not your children. I don’t really care, but I don’t think I’ll ever see animals in public non-pet-oriented indoor settings as normal.

by Anonymousreply 316April 7, 2023 8:18 PM

I still haven't seen a dog anywhere except at the end of a leash, being walked down the street. I'd much rather see one in a restaurant than children. Wish I lived somewhere as dogcentric as some of you seem to.

by Anonymousreply 317April 7, 2023 8:26 PM

I love dogs, too-- I've fostered dozens, adopted ten in my lifetime, and I don't want to see them in grocery stores or Target or whatever, either. I have seen them at Lowes and other places where they're allowed (and not allowed) and for the most part, THE DOGS DON'T LIKE IT, EITHER. They look like little basketcases, not sure where they are or why they're there or why their paws keep getting stuck in the cart, etc.

And I don't normally frau-shame, but in this instance, it's almost always apparently attention-starved older women with big dumb grins on their faces looking around for someone to make eye contact with so they can tell all about their "baby." If you really loved it, you'd leave it at home, where it will just take a nap until you return. Instead, you drag it along on its leash or put it in a cart where it's contemplating a jump suicide or cowering with anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 318April 7, 2023 8:28 PM

Op = dog hater/asshole individual

by Anonymousreply 319April 7, 2023 8:31 PM

I like animals and they like me but I hate having dogs coming up to me at dinner parties as happened a couple days ago. No it's not cute and they smell. Same with kids.

by Anonymousreply 320April 7, 2023 9:10 PM

OP, have you seen and interacted with people lately? I'd rather have animals around me.

by Anonymousreply 321April 7, 2023 9:17 PM

It's actually against the law to bring animals into places where food is sold or served. No matter how clean you may claim your dog is, a dog in a grocery store is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 322April 7, 2023 9:20 PM

You should not make others interact with their pets. They are your pets not theirs.

by Anonymousreply 323April 7, 2023 9:35 PM

Were you killing animals as a child, R323? Humans?

by Anonymousreply 324April 7, 2023 9:46 PM

You mean I can’t bring my diaper wearing howler monkey to the grocery store anymore?

by Anonymousreply 325April 7, 2023 9:48 PM

You are not a well person r324. Get out of the house and try to make a friend or two.

by Anonymousreply 326April 7, 2023 10:00 PM

Our parrots land on the dinner table Then, start sampling everybody's plate.

Imagine that in a restaurant.

Yes. They are confined to their room during parties and are not allowed in stores.

by Anonymousreply 327April 7, 2023 10:14 PM

I don't mind pets in peoples' homes (to a very reasonable extent), in fact, I really enjoy them.

But dogs look miserable in stores and when I see their eyes darting around nervous and confused, it just shows me that their owner is a self-centered asshole who cares more about LOOKING more like a loving and caring dog person, rather than actually BEING one.

by Anonymousreply 328April 7, 2023 11:34 PM

People should leave their dogs at home. I've seen them God knows how many times shut up in a car while the asshole owner gets their hair or nails done.

by Anonymousreply 329April 8, 2023 1:08 AM

I wonder how many of these precious "fur babies" ended up in the pound after their owners died of covid. I bet the family hated those things and couldnt wait to get rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 330April 8, 2023 1:11 AM

Where I live, neither dogs nor children are permitted to be locked in a car for any length of time, R329. There is the occasional story of a good samaritan who smashes the window of a car to rescue a child or dog left inside in the heat.

by Anonymousreply 331April 8, 2023 4:55 PM

OP just outed herself as white trash Trishia,

by Anonymousreply 332April 8, 2023 5:00 PM

This is a long running gay forum.. None of us are paying your baby daddy checks. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 333April 8, 2023 5:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!