Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tennessee Williams on Jessica Lange

Interview with James Grissom New Orleans 1982

“I'm intrigued by Jessica Lange. I like her relationship with words, which she holds in her mind and in her mouth as if they were either the most delectable sweet or a particularly noxious substance that she cannot wait to propel toward her audience or an adversary. She is a masticating actress, I suppose, thinking all the time, the brain working, the mouth set in particular ways, the inhalation that precedes action. I think good things await her, and I don't think she is merely a pretty new thing. She has a strong presence that is bolstered by the sense that she knows more than she is revealing: She's got the goods on almost everyone, but she's withholding, and this makes her terribly appealing. It makes her dangerous, and I like a dangerous actress. She seems unafraid, except perhaps of time, because the mind is racing, getting to a conclusion or an effect or the truth terribly fast. This indicates that she is intelligent, and you can do a lot with a smart actress. I would ask you to watch her.”—Tennessee Williams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2023 1:20 PM

below is the june 2023 New Yorker article where James Grissom veracity is questioned

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2023 1:21 AM

Grissom is full of shit. Most of those interviews are fan fiction.

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2023 1:27 AM

Wow. If I got a review like that from Tennessee Williams, I would weep with joy. Wonder how she felt about it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2023 3:29 AM

Knotty pine!?

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2023 3:31 AM

But was Jessica a WOMAN OF THE FOG?

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2023 4:55 AM

Grissom posted interactions with Lois Smith and Frances Sternhagen's son (she seems to be in a bad way) confirming their decades long relationship with him and his connection to Tennessee. Would be a hell of a ruse to come up with an entire book and cultivate relationships with all of these women based on nothing. I believe him.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2023 1:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!