Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Next in Fashion on Netflix

Season two was just released.

I'm only on episode three. Please don't post who the winner is even though the whole season dropped.

My impressions so far:

—Gigi Hadid is a good host IMO. She seems laid back and natural in the role and her opinions about designs make sense to me. I know people like to hate her but I think she's good in this.

—Interesting design directions overall. I feel like the overall preferred vibe is *extremely* streetwear with a mid-80s to early 90s reference point.

—I like the girl with the boldly colored hair's color choices, which are very 1980s. I think the only thing I liked about 80s aesthetic was the dayglo stuff.

—I do not understand why the judges' clear favorite so far seems to be the one it is—all washed denim and puffer jackets and sports-inspired jerseys and jackets with numbers on them. His clothes look to me exactly like clothes any guy in my schools would have worn during the 90s. I don't see fashion design in them at all. But hey, I'm 45 and I guess what looks new and 'next in fashion' to 25 year olds isn't expected to make sense to me.

—The only person's designs I really am not fond of overall are the Vietnamese woman. The clothes she had made for the show have actually been better IMO than the clothes they featured that got her on the show; those were all Real Housewives-type tightly tailored dresses that have cutouts and straps that basically show off the flanks and the entire boob except the part resting in a sling. I *really* do not get this style at all. It's like S&M lines in girly collors and stretch fabrics that looks to me like it belongs in a red light district window. But I guess in the era of celebrating sex work, it makes sense that sex-worker costumes would be seen as chic luxury products.

—The redhead guy is my favorite. I am partial to redheads, anyway, but I really like his clothes a lot. Foe the episode that I just finished, he made streetwear out of traditional colonial American-style quilts and I thought the juxtaposition was really cool.

—I guess the 'next in fashion' is super-casual, over-the-top borderline crafty streetwear. Aside from the luxury-S&M lady, there's no chic day or evening wear at all; almost everything looks like it's made either for rappers or for someone like Harry Styles.

—Interestingly, at least half of the outfits have been presented on male models, and about half of those have looked like they are made for men and the other half would probably look more natural on women but are androgynous enough to be pulled off by the right guy. Many years ago, this would have seemed extremely edgy and would have been put down the Project Runway runway maybe once a season but now it's the norm, so I guess it is the actual next in fashion. I have slowly become accustomed to seeing men wearing skirts on occasion and while it once threw me, it's starting to seem fairly normal to me, which I find interesting.

Anyway...thoughts?

Again, please don't be an asshole and post the winner. Asking up front for everyone's sake.

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2023 12:22 AM

I’ve only watched the first three episodes. I like the pocket ginger. Is he gay?

I was shocked how much better Donatello looked when she was a guest judge on the first episode. She’s had some good corrective work, and better hair and makeup. She wasn’t as scary as usual.

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2023 11:20 AM

Same re Donatella, R1. And I was really surprised she seemed so pleasant and kind of reserved and sweet. I have never actually heard her speak before. It made me feel ashamed of myself for having looked at horrible photos of her over the years and imagining her to be some kind of non-human monster figure.

I'm under the impression the redhead isn't gay because he doesn't seem particularly effeminate and he did blue-collar work before designing, but I do like when stereotypes are subverted.

by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2023 11:31 AM

Is this the redhead? James Ford?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2023 11:58 AM

R3 Yes

by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2023 12:00 PM

Oh, wow, he's transgender. I never would have guessed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2023 12:03 PM

I was shocked when he revealed he’s trans. I like his work. Cute, too.

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2023 6:48 AM

Didn’t realize it had started, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2023 8:05 AM

The judges made a mistake in their judging of the fifth episode. I don't get it at all.

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2023 12:54 PM

Gigi Hadid is an empty headed Nepo Baby. She borrows all her opinions from her batshit crazy mother,Yolanda. Bella being half Palestinian has a thing for Jewish cock as well. Funny how she rails against Israel but gets railed by Jewish guys.....

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2023 1:23 PM

I think Gigi is a good cohost. I don't 'get' her face as representing supermodels, but beauty standards change. I do think she has a cute but not obnoxiously so personality. She isn't cloying on this show except when she says 'Tanny.'

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2023 1:28 PM

OP your exhausting post makes me want to go to the last episode and come back here to spoil it all. But it's Sunday and I have the lord in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2023 1:34 PM

This is so over-produced. All these designers are all overly-styled and colorist-approved. And the ridiculous time limits make for awful clothes that are ridiculously over-praised. Over it!

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2023 2:21 PM

This cast is more likable than the last few seasons of PR. Maybe less talented, though… I bet Nigel has a HUGE cock.

by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2023 3:16 PM

This is just a PR ripoff but with bigger name guest judges. It’s completely unoriginal.

*spoiler alert*

And that first win??? They go on and on about original design and knock the one guy for being too Balmain, but give the win to a guy who puts a sleeping bag over some 90s baggy jeans and a mesh tank (a look we've seen a billion times), and THAT’S fresh??? And calls it hip hop royalty? I must be too old for this shit.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2023 3:24 PM

R14 A later episode (I don't consider this a spoiler but beware if you're extra sensitive.) features Balmain, so the producers may have been exceedingly sensitive to anything relating to Balmain, and may have even had input from someone at the company.

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2023 3:42 PM

preety bitch marc deleted some of the beautiful pic of his oversized puffer jackets from his 2021 collection

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2023 7:15 PM

the sewing and the designing are two very different things

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2023 8:25 PM

At least they gave the win to the right person.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2023 8:38 PM

Godoy will have killed the Met Gala challenge. He was eliminated because his partner spent three hours making a “pizza purse” when he should have been more helpful to Godoy.

Why the insistence for a pizza purse???

by Anonymousreply 19March 6, 2023 7:56 AM

Giving them only four hours to create swimsuits which would fit well was crazy. You need the most intricate skills for that.

I wonder if anyone on the production team actually knows how fashion is created. Or is focusing on the designers’ personalities the only thread through the show?

by Anonymousreply 20March 6, 2023 8:03 AM

Michael Kors is throwing his shoes at the telly. They call that judging? Megan did not deserve to go in that challenge. There were far worse fits on the models.

by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2023 8:24 AM

This is no competition for Project Runway or Making the Cut, not even the first season of this series. How can you have people in the top five who have no basic construction skills. Some have presented the same idea over and over again.

I’m really disappointed at this series, as I was looking forward to it. Where are the next Minju or Daniel Fletcher? Who picked these people?

by Anonymousreply 22March 6, 2023 9:34 AM

I was shocked that James is a trans man dude clocked better than most biological straight white men. I think the only straight guy might be the dude with the braids that does dope stuffs with denim.

by Anonymousreply 23March 6, 2023 10:04 AM

Same, R23. I am easily charmed by redheads and I thought he was extremely cute.

I also think the right person won, although I think James, Godoy and the girl who did all the colorful outfits would have been contenders to win and I would want to see all their final runways.

I don't think the show is inferior to Project Runway at all. That series's formula is too long in the tooth and the productions often focus way too much on interpersonal dramas for me. I never liked that. I like to watch creative competition shows to witness creativity at work, not for made-for-reality-TV drama. That's one thing on ANTM with a cast of 19 year old girls, and something very unpleasant with a cast of working adults.

I don't love the hallmark/gimmick of the winning designer, but I agree that that designer has a ton of potential and may actually make a name for themself.

by Anonymousreply 24March 7, 2023 12:27 AM

I’d love to wear some of the winning designer’s clothes, but the DL tells me I’m an Eldergay. I don’t think I could pull it off!

by Anonymousreply 25March 7, 2023 1:36 AM

I really do like Gigi as a host. I’m not sure what I expected, but I love her warmth and the fact that she’s fun. She’s the anti-Heidi.

by Anonymousreply 26March 7, 2023 2:51 AM

I enjoyed the first season but this one is lacking. I stopped watching midway through episode three as it was annoying me so much. You want them to have the *chance* to make good clothes. Giving them hardly any time is making for bad tv which is the opposite of what I think they thought would happen.

by Anonymousreply 27March 7, 2023 6:42 AM

Skip all the episodes until the last one. The finale finally had some consistent quality designs. I was aggravated as I watched poorly made clothes judged as spectacular and genius. Isaac Mizrahi would have stormed out. They eliminated two of the best designers in a double elimination early in the series. That was nuts.

I doubt Netflix will renew this show for a third season. The first season was wonderful, with amazingly creative and crafted designers. This is a shell of its former self.

by Anonymousreply 28March 8, 2023 1:02 AM

I know! Let's do something original for the next challenge, like puffer coats, cut outs and patchwork.

by Anonymousreply 29March 8, 2023 1:11 AM

Godoy is a great designer, but he got on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 30March 8, 2023 1:18 AM

Gigi's voice is like nails on a chalkboard and she comes across as dumb and awkward. The previous co-host Alexa Chung was light years better.

The designers on the first season were also more talented and experienced. These second season designers all feel like Project Runway rejects.

by Anonymousreply 31March 8, 2023 1:23 AM

Deontré seems cool, even if I'm not overly fond of his designs. I always laugh at his name though, always makes me think of a little French man presenting a dish and saying "Dee entre."

by Anonymousreply 32March 8, 2023 3:36 AM

Body dysmorphia bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 33March 8, 2023 6:10 AM

Season 1 was at a much higher level and more internationally focused. Season 2 went more American and inexperienced. I liked most of the contestant’s personalities, but nothing seemed very ‘next’ as most of the designers were derivative of trends since the 1990s. The final three seemed preordained and favorites from the start. Agree about the 4 hour and surprise challenges being a cheap gimmick for drama. They need a fashion forecaster as a permanent judge like a Nina Garcia type to have any legitimacy. I’ve had my fill of Tan France and wish they stop trying to make him happen.

by Anonymousreply 34March 8, 2023 6:58 AM

If you could make puffer coats and patchwork, you were a genius.

by Anonymousreply 35March 8, 2023 10:35 AM

R32 I live in DC, and it's always really interesting to me to see Black people from DC on TV because it makes me realize that there's a culture that is very specific to this city, not even the DC region, but among Black people within Washington, D.C. with respect to how they speak and even naming conventions. One of my coworkers has a grandson named Dionté (Dianté?). I realize this may seem like an African American thing broadly, but I feel like the broad spectrum of names people choose that would be recognizable as African American is more limited here, which is interesting. I like the idea that this city has its own specific microculture and I think it does. Part of the local Black dialect, too, is regionally specific and it involves a slurring or lack of enunciation that I find very hard to understand (being half deaf in one ear doesn't help). I thought for a long time that certain people just don't enunciate but I realized eventually it's actually a dialect. The dental hygienist at my dentist's office speaks this way and we can barely communicate.

by Anonymousreply 36March 8, 2023 11:13 AM

Yeah, I tried to avoid giving anything away above when I said the one designer's 'gimmick,' but that obviously was a reference to puffy-jacket material.

The whole idea of 'next in fashion' is kind of a setup when presented as it is. It forces people to use gimmicky designs that are never anything like what anyone would wear, but instead like 1950s ideas of silly things people would wear in 2000. So we get space suits and hazmat suits and cape quilts.

I did like how some of the 'puffer' (I have a hard time using that word seriously.) and quilted materials were used at times, but when the first stupid jacket was so lauded, that set the ball rolling for a puffer-off competition, which I thought was stupid.

I think Bao is one of these design-show contestants who is going to have a thriving career. I personally HATE the style of her boobsling-contraption dresses, but I also know those things are very popular among a certain set of aspiring Real Housewives, and they apparently require brilliant mathematical engineering to make. Part of me wanted Bao to win among the designers who made it to the end because I know people will wear her clothes, while I doubt a lot of Netflix viewers are going to run out and buy 10' wide puffer jackets and puffy capes.

Of all the clothes on the show being translated to actual clothing and filtered into a popular style, I would love James to have won. I loved what he did with incorporating quilts and mismatched patterns, like sophisticated, tailored Raggedy Andy style. Loved that.

Also, I have to say, after 150 years of Project Runway and its ripoffs, the one thing Gigi Hadid did that bothered me (otherwise, I liked her a lot as a host) was force the one designer to make women's clothing. How many times over how many years and how many series have we heard it emphasized that contestants are chosen because of their unique points of view, and how many times have we seen contestants forced to make something that diverges from their styles and then chastised for losing their point of view? If they cast a menswear designer, let them fucking design menswear. I know women buy more clothing overall. I am a homo who buys a lot of clothes, and I bet men would buy more clothes for ourselves if we had something more interesting to buy. I hate that they forced the menswear guy to make inferior women's clothes just because Gigi wanted to wear his menswear. That was annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 37March 8, 2023 11:25 AM

I just finished episode 5. I missed most of the dialogue because I fixated on Gigi’s body suit, and not in a good way. What’s with the weird grey shadows boob on her chest. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 38March 8, 2023 2:55 PM

Who’d of thought someone with the name Nigel could be hot

by Anonymousreply 39March 8, 2023 2:55 PM

R37- does these judges even follow actual fashion, the oversized puffer jacket was on Marc Jacobs 2021 collection, the mesh undershirt n the pants can be found on any charity shop, the only thing likable is the long durag finally shown when the judges asked the guy to take off the coat

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2023 1:10 AM

Nigel is f*ckable, tho.

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2023 3:19 AM

Nigel is extremely fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2023 7:49 AM

Nigel reminds me of the guy from We’re the Millers who had *No Ragrats*.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2023 11:35 AM

Amaris transformation look, sorry, awful, as soon as she walked on the runway with that bulky white thing I couldn’t belive it. Surely somebody said to her backstage girl sort that out. She’s so sweet though.

by Anonymousreply 44March 10, 2023 12:25 PM

And the transformation Deontré sent out there was a piece of tacky yellow fabric barely attached at the shoulder. And the judges fell all over themselves praising it. An abomination!

by Anonymousreply 45March 10, 2023 2:29 PM

Yes both mentioned above, and even Nigel's reveal, were clunky! But the one who went home was clearly the right choice in my opinion, it was a cringe reveal.

by Anonymousreply 46March 10, 2023 3:11 PM

I could do without Jason Boldens commentary, I LIVE, I LIVE!

by Anonymousreply 47March 10, 2023 3:47 PM

Jason Boldens is “fake it til you make it” personified. Does he think he’s fooling anyone?

by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2023 9:11 PM

I was getting sick of everyone saying this or that was “fire.” I heard it on this week’s new Top Chef, too.

Yes I know I’m old and it’s what “the kids” say, but I thought “fire” had already run its course.

by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2023 10:37 PM

I'm on episode 5 and I'm shocked at how much I like this show. It's like the first few season of Project Runway. And I feel it's much more watchable than Making the Cut (though I still love Tim and Heidi more than Tanny and Gigi). I think these designers are actually talented. And the challenges are interesting.

And thank god they haven't (so far) made it about "every woman (aka fat)" models. I want to focus on the fashion and it's just easier to do that on thin people.

by Anonymousreply 50March 10, 2023 10:46 PM

R49 - just like everything is “iconic”.

by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2023 12:19 PM

Wnd 'fierce' following Christian Siriano's season of Project Runway.

They should only be used in combination forthwith. That dress is iconic fierce fire.

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2023 12:44 PM

I’ve been completely attracted to/fascinated by James Ford. Such a sexy, adorable guy. Surprised to discover he was/is a female-to-male transexual. I liked his style, very American in an updated, gender-fluid way that doesn’t seem forced. As if Ralph Lauren clothing got hip to this moment in the culture.

James is a sexy Huckleberry Finn and I find myself wondering if he’s attracted to men or women and what sort of genitalia he has and what kind of sex he prefers. If he has gotten that far in his transitioning. I noticed he was slightly stand-offish on the show, always hiding in the back, not especially affectionate with his fellow designers. Wonder if he was attracted to that butch, mustached male model with the dad-bod and mesmeric blue eyes?

by Anonymousreply 53March 18, 2023 4:10 AM

I just finished S2...haven't seen S1 to compare. But I really enjoyed it. I haven't made it past 2 or 3 episodes of the past few seasons of PR and Making the Cut. I like the very positive vibe of NIF, in the spirit of the Great British Bake off, although Tan could be a little too sensitive for my taste. But that's me speaking as a bitchy DLer. Nigel's stuff was very cool...I could easily imagine him dressing Lenny Kravitz or Jamiroquai. I did not understand all the love for Deontre's giant sleeping bag parachute puffers. Wtf? Bao definitely has a niche and she's good at what she does, but I don't find it forward-looking and I don't really think most of it is flattering to the average American woman. That catsuit thing...christ.

by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2023 12:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!