Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why was Jackie Kennedy considered a great beauty?

She was in fact quite odd looking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406March 18, 2023 6:51 PM

When was she considered a great beauty? She was a fashion icon and a first lady. People speak of her style, poise and grace but I've never heard a single person call her beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2023 7:24 PM

Consider her three predecessors from the previous quarter-century as First Lady: Eleanor Roosevelt, Bess Truman (pictured L), and Mamie Eisenhower (picture R).

Then you tell me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2023 7:26 PM

I always thought Lee was much prettier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2023 7:27 PM

Why do DLers start threads with straw man statements. She was never considered "a great beauty".

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2023 7:28 PM

I was in my teens in the 80s and it was probably around then that I started seeing pics of Jackie. I thought she was very odd looking as well and I wondered if she had some strange facial deformity. I know that sounds mean and I wasn't being judgmental at all (I'd be the last person, I was teased a lot as a kid), but I'd never seen someone with eyes set so far apart. I did know she was well-regarded though.

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2023 7:29 PM

Op's photo reminds me of another great beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2023 7:30 PM

I've always thought that of the two wives of the men running for president in 1960, Pat Nixon was at the time actually the prettier, if Jackie was the more glamorous and sophisticated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2023 7:32 PM

Daddy Black Jack had the wide face. He was undeniably handsome, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2023 7:34 PM

Jackie was pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2023 7:36 PM

Pat looks like Ronald McDonald in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2023 7:37 PM

If she'd been prettier, she wouldn't have need to go on assistance.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2023 7:38 PM

Marella Agnelli was "marketed" as a great aristocratic beauty. Meh.

I bet Jackie had some sex tricks in her repertoire. Metropolitan New York debs of her era were not celebrated for being prudes. Gianni probably had some good fucks. Onassis too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2023 7:39 PM

Trim, feminine, youthful and well groomed.

Her goal in life was to be attractive to men, a goal realized.

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2023 7:43 PM

Jackie's goal in life was NOT to be attractive to me. That's something she did because her mother trained her and insisted she marry BIG money. I don't think Jackie spent many years of her life, if any, preoccupied about being pretty for men.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2023 7:49 PM

Even as an adult Jackie Kennedy had the look of an EMBRYO growing in the womb.

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2023 7:49 PM

^^She was certainly all of those things r13. But to me, her extremely far apart eyes were offputting.

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2023 7:49 PM

R6- Were discussing Homo Sapiens

NOT

NEANDERTHALS

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2023 7:51 PM

She was one of those people that has a body that is perfect for designer clothing, like a model. Everything looked chic on her. She was not a classical beauty but neither are moat runway models.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2023 7:59 PM

She was no Eleanor Roosevelt

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2023 8:07 PM

I think youth was an important factor here. She was considerably younger than her immediate predecessors, and both her and her husband represented a new, modern era.

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2023 8:08 PM

[quote] Marella Agnelli was "marketed" as a great aristocratic beauty. Meh.

What do you mean by "marketed"?

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2023 8:13 PM

I wasn’t alive yet during her reign, but that is exactly how I perceive Camelot and especially her role in its creation. She had a might and a grit for which I give her tremendous credit. Come the Onasis years, it all became quite trashy, but I’m grateful that she bore the weight of being the First Lady that she was ,given what we know now.

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2023 8:16 PM

R21 I mean thats what the fashion and society media would have understand was her identity, and she herself projected.

Sure she was attractive, rich, born "a princess", well married and well dressed. A great beauty, no. Neither was Jackie. At least Jackie seemed like a person who could have fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2023 8:24 PM

Here is a more flattering image. Great American style and long, well proportioned legs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2023 9:08 PM

It was more about her style it seems.

by Anonymousreply 25February 28, 2023 9:10 PM

She had big feet

by Anonymousreply 26February 28, 2023 9:13 PM

She was an educated socialite. She was taught poise. She was fluent in French. She was a perfectly turned out product of the post war era.

by Anonymousreply 27February 28, 2023 9:16 PM

She was striking and her manner was captivating. I got to know her a bit. She was completely nice to anyone she conversed with- as I got to know her she was quite funny. She made fun of herself and her celebrity. And she had superb taste. I got to know her great friend, mentor and surrogate mother, Bunny Mellon as well. They were very alike- elegant, smart, funny, impeccably nice and exquisite taste.

by Anonymousreply 28February 28, 2023 9:16 PM

Jackie was very attractive. Charismatic. She had the basics, and built on them. Her hair and her clothes, her make up everything fit together to create one seamless image. Fashion Icon. And her clothes were literally made for her. She not only had style, she defined it. There were some outfits I like more than others, but she never put a foot wrong when it came to her style and her outfits.

by Anonymousreply 29February 28, 2023 9:19 PM

Pat Nixon had no style. She was just an upper middle class housewife type. As Mamie and Bess before her. She was traditional. Middle America. Jackie broke the mold. Nothing traditional about her.

by Anonymousreply 30February 28, 2023 9:21 PM

Pat's Inaugural gown was beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 28, 2023 9:29 PM

The Kennedys were also the first Presidential couple born in the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2023 9:34 PM

The camera never managed to capture her beauty, but in real life she was quite stunning

by Anonymousreply 33February 28, 2023 9:36 PM

R31, no, it is not. That is a gaudy Mother of the Bride dress if I ever saw one..

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2023 12:07 AM

"I think youth was an important factor here. She was considerably younger than her immediate predecessors, and both her and her husband represented a new, modern era."

Then Jack was murdered, and we got the highly photogenic Lyndon and Lady Byrd.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2023 12:16 AM

Jackie was a major influencer.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2023 12:21 AM

Pat's was a matronly gown, but I agree it was a beautiful matronly gown (and remember, when Pat became First Lady, she was at a matronly age, 54).

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2023 12:39 AM

I don’t think Jack Kennedy was very good looking either, his facial features were squished together. I did see JFK Jr in person in DC once and he was absolutely stunning.

by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2023 12:49 AM

She was not pretty or attractive, but had a trim figure and dressed well. She was without a doubt the most elegant First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2023 12:51 AM

Her best years were definitely the 50s and 60s. Like all of us, she looked her best when young. I concede that in plenty of pics she doesn't appear to be anything spectacular, yet in some pics she's shown to be a very pretty woman. Combined with her unique carriage and demeanor, then she becomes quite an extraordinary woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2023 12:52 AM

Jaclyn Smith, Roma Downey and Natalie Portman played Jackie. Joan Allen played Pat. I think that settles the “who was better looking” debate.

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2023 1:05 AM

Here's Jackie turning up the sex appeal and educating tack Americans to demand and accept only the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2023 1:12 AM

IPhone does not like the word, tacky either

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2023 1:12 AM

Pat became First Lady at age 54, whereas Jackie became First Lady at age 31. You can't fairly compare how they looked while each was in the White House given that age gap.

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2023 1:36 AM

And that poor Pat nearly crawled into a bottle every evening. Just like Mamie.

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2023 1:38 AM

r41 You'd be hard pressed to find a popular actress with such wide apart eyes. Being pretty usually comes with the territory and is somewhat a prerequisite to being an actress. And "character" actresses are usually a smaller subset of actresses.

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2023 1:42 AM

[quote]Being pretty usually comes with the territory and is somewhat a prerequisite to being an actress.

I AGREE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2023 1:46 AM

Jackie was impeccable, stylish, and intriguing, all of which go a long way in making someone appear more than they are. Personally, I prefer her features far more than what’s considered attractive by today’s plastic surgery-obsessed standards.

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2023 1:54 AM

Give her credit: would have, or could have your early 30s version of yourself managed births, deaths, elections and state funerals all in the space of a few years…and still maintain some sanity…?

by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2023 2:01 AM

She was beautiful compared to Eleanor, Bess, and Mamie.

by Anonymousreply 50March 1, 2023 2:05 AM

In the 70s you'd see her all around Manhattan. Just strolling along Madison alone. She jogged at the Reservoir in the morning with everybody else, but everyone pretended not to notice.

by Anonymousreply 51March 1, 2023 2:06 AM

Pat was a bit plain. I think she had more spark before she married Milhous. She looked good in a Republican cloth coat (Dick thought she looked like a million bucks), but she lacked the glamor or charisma of Jackie O. I'm guessing Pat was easily the most unhappy of first ladies since maybe Harding's wife. Bess Truman hated DC and stayed away as much as possible---Pat hated politics but was trapped. She spent a lot of time visiting children in Africa----better Darfur orphans than having to make friends with Mrs. Agnew. I don't think she ever had friends from the world of politics or from her husband's small circle of odd balls.

by Anonymousreply 52March 1, 2023 2:06 AM

r51: except Ron Galella, apparently

by Anonymousreply 53March 1, 2023 2:07 AM

R46 ok but I was just talking about who was prettier. In all of Hollywood they didn’t pick a conventionally pretty actress to play Pat Nixon, and MANY to play Jackie. Who is more gorgeous than Jaclyn Smith? Not that Joan Allen isn’t a great actress, because she is.

And funny both were painfully skinny but only Pat Nixon was “known” for that.

by Anonymousreply 54March 1, 2023 2:11 AM

I always thought her supposed great fashionwear wore her, and not the other way around. A lot of the time outside of special events, she seemed to wear very expensive versions of really plain, knockaround sportswear. Ditto with the unkempt hair. She was “beautiful” in people’s minds and eyes in her era as literally a living, passing “icon” by way of the historical events she was physically associated with and experienced. Otherwise I sense she’d have ended up the lead buyer of a high-end fashion department at Bergdorf Goodman.

by Anonymousreply 55March 1, 2023 2:30 AM

No, she ended up where she wanted: a well-respected editor at a major NY publishing house.

by Anonymousreply 56March 1, 2023 2:34 AM

R53 someone should start a thread on him - he died very recently, actually. His paparazzo photos were the best.

by Anonymousreply 57March 1, 2023 2:34 AM

[quote]Then Jack was murdered, and we got the highly photogenic Lyndon and Lady Byrd.

And a good evenin' to YOU, Miss Bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 1, 2023 2:37 AM

Wiki on PAT: “A former professor noted that she "stood out from the empty-headed, overdressed little sorority girls of that era like a good piece of literature on a shelf of cheap paperbacks". She held part-time jobs on campus, worked as a sales clerk in Bullock's-Wilshire department store…”

by Anonymousreply 59March 1, 2023 2:37 AM

^Those were USC coeds he was referencing…good to know some things never changed at ‘SC. Thus, as it ever was.

by Anonymousreply 60March 1, 2023 2:40 AM

Wow, I never noticed her wide-spaced eyes before. They can't be unseen.

by Anonymousreply 61March 1, 2023 2:44 AM

Verst Ladi shood hev zee bootevul ees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 1, 2023 2:52 AM

There was no one like Jackie. And while I would certainly not describ e her as a feminist back when she was married to JFK, (she was more of a Geisha) she grew and evolved even as she embraced the role of his wife. Her public comments about being First Lady and being a mother and a wife were very traditional for the late 50's and early 60's, but in a way she was also a bridge to modern, more independent women. Adn her life after both Jack and Ari reflected that.

by Anonymousreply 63March 1, 2023 2:56 AM

Compared to these two she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 1, 2023 3:02 AM

Jackie was attractive, not beautiful. It was about the whole package - youth, money, breeding, access, status, tragedy. See also: Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 65March 1, 2023 3:03 AM

[quote]She was one of those people that has a body that is perfect for designer clothing, like a model.

She didn't have a great body, her legs were awful. I think it was more her intellect, that was appealing. She was obviously well educated and had good diplomatic skills, which came in very handy during her overseas trips with her husband.

by Anonymousreply 66March 1, 2023 6:47 AM

R66 she was tall and skinny , what do you mean her legs were awful?

by Anonymousreply 67March 1, 2023 7:17 AM

Everyone knows Little Edie was the looker in that generation of that family.

Ok just kidding. They were about the same. With some good features and some less so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 1, 2023 10:33 AM

She was no Babs Bush. That’s for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 1, 2023 11:33 AM

She was a FAS-faced courtesan with boat-sized feet.

by Anonymousreply 70March 1, 2023 11:40 AM

She had the Lightfoot (Beetlejuice) look....but without the very high forehead. She had style and class, which made her more attractive.

by Anonymousreply 71March 1, 2023 12:15 PM

I remember seeing an exhibit of her White House dresses and gowns. What struck me, apart from the slavish copying of Chanel in Oleg Cassini's designs, was how flat-chested she was. I think that was in style then but it hasn't been anytime since and would strike us as freakish today.

by Anonymousreply 72March 1, 2023 12:19 PM

I still say I've never heard a single person describe her as beautiful! No idea what OP is talking about. Literally NO ONE ever called her beautiful! OP is fabricating from thin air and 72 replies later no one else is calling this out.

People said she had style and class, she was a fashion icon, and that she was a young, attractive, eligible and viable widow after both her husbands died. They said she was attractive, and that was certainly true: she was always well dressed, well-coiffed, very "put together," with a trim figure made for fashion, plus great hair, in addition to her considerable charm and intelligence.

But no one ever claimed she was beautiful. She was once a pretty bride but never drop dead gorgeous. Maybe someone charitable described has "striking" once but the allure of Jackie wasn't about her looks. It was about her embodiment of a role (first lady), her associations with history (and in particular the tragic aspects of Camelot as well as the somewhat lurid realities of her Onassis period), and her later period as a celebrity icon and book editor. A lot of it had to do with fashion and a distinctive and recognizable look, but NONE of it was about Jackie as "beautiful."

In fact, I remember her looks and features were often commented on unfavorably -- Joan Rivers famously said she looked like E.T. There isn't a lot of this in the public record from her lifetime, but she wasn't always on a pedestal for some folks. People commented on her wide set eyes, very large forehead, and boyish figure. Again, I just don't get where OP is coming from.

by Anonymousreply 73March 1, 2023 7:12 PM

She wasn't beautiful but she was limber.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 1, 2023 8:54 PM

She was never quite as beautiful as Melania 'Le Whore' Trump. And don't anyone ever forget that !

by Anonymousreply 75March 1, 2023 8:59 PM

R73 Here is a quote for you from someone who says she was beautiful:

"She was aware of trends but she didn't follow them," says "Jackie Style" author Pamela Keogh. "She had true American style. She was a great beauty but also natural-looking."

by Anonymousreply 76March 1, 2023 9:12 PM

Melania is a mannequin carved from plastic and filled with silicone.

by Anonymousreply 77March 1, 2023 9:13 PM

[quote] … her unique carriage and demeanor

Say more

by Anonymousreply 78March 1, 2023 9:15 PM

Why say her hair was unkempt?

by Anonymousreply 79March 1, 2023 9:16 PM

[quote]Why was Jackie Kennedy considered a great beauty?

She wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 80March 1, 2023 9:23 PM

R68 I'd be hard pressed to find a physical flaw on Little Edie in her youth. Her nickname was "Body Beautiful Beale." Jackie and Lee were both extremely attractive, but Edie possessed a rare beauty, no doubt about that.

by Anonymousreply 81March 1, 2023 9:45 PM

Joan and Jackie really stood out from the other women in the family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 1, 2023 10:25 PM

R73 Put on your GLASSES Helen Keller: many people called this out, including moi at R4. You aren't special.

by Anonymousreply 83March 1, 2023 10:37 PM

Big Edie was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 1, 2023 10:43 PM

Little Edie was pretty and yeah a great body, but she didn't have the best face shape, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 1, 2023 10:44 PM

Here cheeks were set quite low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 1, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote]Why was Jackie Kennedy considered a great beauty? She was in fact quite odd looking

And she said you look like something mined deep out of Ethel Kennedy's nose, OP.

by Anonymousreply 87March 1, 2023 10:49 PM

Because an essential quality of true beauty is uniqueness. Otherwise every Miss America contestant is "beautiful".

by Anonymousreply 88March 1, 2023 11:28 PM

One must be appreciate "inner beauty".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 1, 2023 11:33 PM

Dem feets though. Hands too.

Lee was more conventional in appearance, but basically a useless excuse for a woman.

by Anonymousreply 90March 2, 2023 12:04 AM

She and JFK were both ugly. JFK is mostly teeth. I never understood remotely why others found them appealing.

by Anonymousreply 91March 2, 2023 1:21 AM

Thank you! I'm sorry if I sounded harsh by the way. She had a great body, too. Her face is just not attractivr to me but she certainly was attractive in contrast to her predecessors.

by Anonymousreply 92March 2, 2023 1:32 AM

I think she looked great. I once read the diet she maintained and she had to be made of steel under that soft exterior.

by Anonymousreply 93March 2, 2023 1:41 AM

I think she was very unique and yes, a beauty. She wasn't a typical pretty girl. There really is no one you can compare her to because she was an icon. SHe could have been a cut above as First Lady if JFK had had 8b years. All the cultural offerings and fashion, and cultural stuff. But instead, with all her poise and her style consciousness, and her image as the mother of two adorable kids, one blindingly sunny afternoon in Dallas, she sat next to her husband while he was shot twice, and she came "this close" to being shot herself, and his brains and blood spattered all over her and there she was clambering over the back of the car. She covered his head with a jacket so the media couldn't see that someone had blown his brains out. And then for four days she conducted herself with dignity and held a horrified nation together. (I know. Mary!) So IMO after having been through that, I have nothing bad to say about her ever. She was in her 30's when all that happened.

by Anonymousreply 94March 2, 2023 3:29 AM

[quote]Joan and Jackie really stood out from the other women in the family.

Jackie's eyes are so wide apart, they look like they are about to fall out of her sockets onto her chin. Compared to the other women she almost looked like a mental patient.

by Anonymousreply 95March 2, 2023 6:50 AM

People who don’t look like other people are the great beauties. When they start correcting their flaws they kind of lose that.

by Anonymousreply 96March 2, 2023 6:53 AM

R94 Beautifully said.

by Anonymousreply 97March 2, 2023 7:08 AM

You're right, R91. Jack Kennedy wasn't really handsome like Eisenhower and Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 98March 2, 2023 7:56 AM

[quote]I still say I've never heard a single person describe her as beautiful! No idea what OP is talking about. Literally NO ONE ever called her beautiful! OP is fabricating from thin air and 72 replies later no one else is calling this out.

[quote]But no one ever claimed she was beautiful.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Were you around in 1961? Obviously not. If you had asked any American at the time to describe Jackie, "beautiful" would have been their first response.

Read the articles about her in publications like LIFE and LOOK from the era, she was described as beautiful.

It's not about your personal opinion of her looks. Or Joan Rivers' opinion. In her time, especially as First Lady, she was absolutely considered to be a beautiful woman. No, she she she wasn't Elizabeth Taylor or Marylin, that's for sure, but she certainly met the standard back then for what people considered to be beautiful.

After Mamie Eisenhower and Elenor Roosevelt, imagine seeing this on your TV (Watch for her closeup.) People were mesmerized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 2, 2023 12:42 PM

[quote] but she certainly met the standard back then for what people considered to be beautiful.

Yeah, she was white.

by Anonymousreply 100March 2, 2023 1:03 PM

Bitch was a fugly gargoyle!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 2, 2023 1:03 PM

R94 Indeed. Ya have to have been there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 2, 2023 1:19 PM

Great video, R99!

Her voice and speaking style is incredibly interesting.

Is that the Miss Porter drawl?

by Anonymousreply 103March 2, 2023 1:21 PM

Her husband a weakness for Miss Porter debs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 2, 2023 2:01 PM

Supposedly the breathy voice was a put-on and she had a more normal boice in private life. For whatever reason Jacqueline got all Marilyn-breathy anytime a camera or microphone was near.

by Anonymousreply 105March 2, 2023 4:26 PM

She was passable from certain angles like in the gif R101 posted but overly she was not a "beauty" by any stretch.

by Anonymousreply 106March 2, 2023 4:36 PM

R106 According to you. And that's fine.

But the popular opinion was indeed that she was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 107March 2, 2023 5:16 PM

I don't think she was considered a great beauty. She was very attractive, slim, cultured, smart, and tasteful, and those qualities, along with the couture clothes her father-in-law paid for, got her far.

by Anonymousreply 108March 2, 2023 5:19 PM

R107

Popular opinion considers the Kardashians to be gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 109March 2, 2023 5:20 PM

She bonded with journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault over shoes. They both had massive feet and sometimes they would go shopping for shoes that catered to women who were big-footed.

by Anonymousreply 110March 2, 2023 5:24 PM

R105

I don't think so. George Plimpton, who was of her class, described her picking him up one day near Hyannisport or in the Hamptons. He said that she always used that soft, breathy voice and she gave him the car keys so he could drive because the way she'd been brought up, the man always drove.

by Anonymousreply 111March 2, 2023 5:24 PM

R105

Jackie was the genuine article. Marilyn Monroe was always pretending to be someone else. I cannot imagine Jackie trying to emulate Marilyn in any way, and besides that bitch was trying to steal her husband (she was delusional, but still quite public about it).

by Anonymousreply 112March 2, 2023 5:28 PM

R103

Part of her accent definitely does reflect being educated at a New England boarding school, in her case, Miss Porter's School. I believe students often refer to the school as "Farmington," which is where it's located, or something like that. I'm a woman from NYC, much younger than Jackie, in fact, the same age as Caroline, who I'd see walking around the Harvard campus. I received a scholarship to a boarding school very much like Miss Porter's and when I'd return home on my breaks, some people would make fun of my accent. I wasn't consciously trying to sound like a preppy, but when you're around people who speak a certain way 24/7 and have any kind of ear you pick up their speech mannerisms.

Jackie also grew up with upper crust New Yorkers and that also influenced her accent.

by Anonymousreply 113March 2, 2023 5:39 PM

R100

Jackie was considered elegant and attractive by everyone except maybe political rivals. It was said that JFK was a bit envious of his wife. He was annoyed when they attended a formal dinner with Charles de Gaulle and she was much admired because of her appearance and her ability to speak excellent French.

by Anonymousreply 114March 2, 2023 5:47 PM

R95

I remember reading a biography or history in which someone in Jackie's circle snidely said her eyes were so far apart it was amazing that they took in one image. This was from the time when she was engaged to JFK.

by Anonymousreply 115March 2, 2023 5:50 PM

R94

She showed an astonishing amount of poise for anyone, much less a young woman. She also fought to create the right image for her husband's legacy, even if it was partly made up. She had archivists research the details of Lincoln's funeral and copied details from it and told reporters that in his last days, JFK had kept singing or whistling the song Camelot, which is how the whole Camelot myth got started.

The Kennedys were terrific at marketing and at image creation. I have mixed feelings about that and lay some of our current obsession with surface at their feet.

by Anonymousreply 116March 2, 2023 6:00 PM

I find it hard to believe JFK was jealous of Jackie's charm and language skills since this is exactly why he wanted her as his First Lady. Everything was PR to Kennedy including his wife and kids.

by Anonymousreply 117March 2, 2023 6:09 PM

Jackie had three accents. Minimum. All those Bouviers also had Long Island accents, nothing classy about it, and she learned elite old money social register accent as something to be put on. And then there was the breathy one.

by Anonymousreply 118March 2, 2023 6:09 PM

R72

Chanel was a much-copied designer in that era. But the reason Jackie wore Chanel-inspired designs or authorized copies (There was a shop in NYC that had an agreement with Chanel, but the Chanel label was not used.) was that JFK's father, who paid for most of Jackie's clothes, thought it would look bad if the wife of the American president was wearing the work of a French designer. He certainly could have afforded French couture.

JFK also wore somewhat more American and down-to-earth clothing as president than he had earlier. He had grown up as a wealthy young man, attended Choate and Harvard, and lived in England, in addition to seeing a fair amount of the world as a civilian and as a naval officer. His natural taste wasn't that of the typical American man either.

by Anonymousreply 119March 2, 2023 6:13 PM

R117

JFK's envy and concern that he was being upstaged by his lovely, younger, cultured wife has been written about many times. He chose Jackie because she was something like 12 years younger and thus controllable, well-brought-up, very presentable, and, very importantly, Catholic. I don't think he thought she'd ever be the slightest bit of competition.

by Anonymousreply 120March 2, 2023 6:18 PM

R117, the IDEA!

by Anonymousreply 121March 2, 2023 6:21 PM

R117 and R121

But JFK was also a traditional, privileged man who didn't regard women as fully independent people. Like his father, he thought it was fine for him to screw every woman in sight, while his wife wasn't supposed to complain. She was mainly supposed to be a decorative presence and produce kids. For his family and politics, she had to be Catholic. His mother, Rose Kennedy, disowned one of his sisters for marrying a Protestant English aristocrat. And when the daughter and her husband died young in a plane accident, she didn't attend the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 122March 2, 2023 6:26 PM

This is one of my favorite photos of Jackie Kennedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 2, 2023 6:40 PM

Yes, R113, Miss Porter’s School is located in Farmington, Connecticut.

by Anonymousreply 124March 2, 2023 6:43 PM

R124

I KNOW where Miss Porter's is located. I was trying to remember what the students call it.

by Anonymousreply 125March 2, 2023 6:44 PM

Joan Rivers called Jackie Kennedy Onassis "ET without makeup." Sooo Funny because it's true!!

by Anonymousreply 126March 2, 2023 6:56 PM

Recall a recording from a 80's era answering machine from a colleague of JBKO's at Doubleday where she says " How the hell did I wind up writing a book on Michael Jackson?" It was in a quite normal east coast upper New York accent. No baby doll breathless, that was all performance.

by Anonymousreply 127March 2, 2023 7:02 PM

Rivers was a gargoyle Jewess whose husband killed himself rather than be around her harpy plastic arse. Says more about R126 that you found the vicious harpy Trumper amusing.

by Anonymousreply 128March 2, 2023 7:09 PM

Oh, R125, I see.

You did say,

[quote] I believe students often refer to the school as "Farmington," which is where it's located, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 129March 2, 2023 7:09 PM

R122, it wasn’t her husband but her lover who died in the plane with her. Her husband, Billy Cavendish, was already killed in the war.

by Anonymousreply 130March 2, 2023 7:15 PM

Who does your nails , who does your nails? Where did you buy your clothes, were they on sale?

by Anonymousreply 131March 2, 2023 7:24 PM

She was interisting looking.

by Anonymousreply 132March 2, 2023 7:40 PM

Re: Folks who find Rivers a wit rather then a shit. Try to spend 10 minutes in a room with them.

by Anonymousreply 133March 2, 2023 9:03 PM

She had a large, movie star head and face. She got her spouse wrong. She should have coupled with Ranier and Grace with JFK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 2, 2023 9:06 PM

[quote]Read the articles about her in publications like LIFE and LOOK from the era, she was described as beautiful.

Nobody in the press back then would have dared to call Jackie ugly.

by Anonymousreply 135March 2, 2023 9:22 PM

Jackie was the youngest First Lady in recent memory back then, and the world saw her as a breath of fresh air. She was stylish, elegant and yes - beautiful (both inside and out).

by Anonymousreply 136March 2, 2023 9:28 PM

[quote]I find it hard to believe JFK was jealous of Jackie's charm and language skills since this is exactly why he wanted her as his First Lady. Everything was PR to Kennedy including his wife and kids.

I don't think he was prepared for how well she was received overseas and yes probably he was jealous. All of a sudden she was the star. I guess, eventually and luckily he came to see it as an asset instead of rivalry.

by Anonymousreply 137March 2, 2023 9:42 PM

Jackie looked so much like Connie Francis, who was always marketed as plain or borderline ugly. I think Connie was very cute, though. Jackie, too.

by Anonymousreply 138March 2, 2023 10:00 PM

Perceptions of beauty change through the ages. What was beautiful in ancient times or even the 60s has changed. Models were not skinny until Twiggy and co came on the scene.

by Anonymousreply 139March 2, 2023 10:06 PM

R122

You're right. I should have checked.

by Anonymousreply 140March 2, 2023 10:09 PM

R129

Yes, I indicated in that sentence that I knew where the school was located. The question was whether the students were still using that nickname.

by Anonymousreply 141March 2, 2023 10:29 PM

Ah, okay, R141

by Anonymousreply 142March 2, 2023 10:33 PM

Well her husband had a type.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 2, 2023 10:37 PM

My parents loved this album. I was born in Boston in 1962, to native Cantabrigians (St. John’s—nr Davis Sq.). I was in my playpen next to my mother in Arlington, when she heard the news from Dallas. We moved to California, and this record came along with us. It is still damn good satire, to this day. Poor Vaughn, his career ended with the assassination…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 2, 2023 10:48 PM

R72, the large bust was in vogue in the 1950 like the big fins on cars. There was no standard in the 1960s. She looked good in her clothing and her smaller bust was not an issue. I like the fact that there was more variation in appearance then. Today, there is too much plastic surgery and people all wanting to look a kind of generically attractive.

by Anonymousreply 145March 2, 2023 11:29 PM

Did her kids inherit her smoking addiction?

by Anonymousreply 146March 2, 2023 11:54 PM

Widely spaced eyes are a unique beauty trait

by Anonymousreply 147March 3, 2023 12:01 AM

She had an accent alright- Long Island lock jaw- like her crazy Beale relatives. Think Oyster Bay. It doesn’t exist anymore. In person, informally she did not do the whispery thing- but she flattened her a’s and drawled a bit- and she was quick- a real wit. There are a few upper class New York and suburban accents that have disappeared. Think FDR and ER. My grandparents spoke exactly like that.

by Anonymousreply 148March 3, 2023 12:18 AM

Cuz she wuz

by Anonymousreply 149March 3, 2023 12:27 AM

Among the qualities that set her apart from previous First Ladies, was her perspective. She had an international perspective. She knew and loved the minutiae of American History and culture and treasured the artifacts, but she also had intimate knowledge of French Literature, art,and history, and took a very wholistic approach. She read and spoke French fluently. She functioned well on the world stage, felt comfortable there, unlike other first ladies who seemed like well dressed tourists. She did research for JFK at his request, and came across some important books and letters regarding French Indochina, (Vietnam) and it proved helpful to his understanding of the region. When LBJ became PResident, he asked her to carry some very sensitive information in a diplomatic effort during her trip to India.

by Anonymousreply 150March 3, 2023 1:49 AM

I would also add that when JFK and Jackie went abroad she was always working. Those diplomatic receptions and dinners where she had conversations and appear to gossip with De Gaulle or Malraux, etc. She was gleaning information and observing everything.

by Anonymousreply 151March 3, 2023 1:51 AM

Was that trip to India via Time Machine? She went to India & Pakistan well over a year before LBJ became president.

by Anonymousreply 152March 3, 2023 2:01 AM

R138 I agree Connie Francis and Jackie were quite pretty. I have read reviews of Where The Boys Are which indicated that they did not understand why Connie was stated to be the homely one. I think her father might have had something to do with that.

by Anonymousreply 153March 3, 2023 2:02 AM

Well fine, R152, maybe it wasn't India, but I remember it was to dedicate some memorial to JFK, or something, and President Johnson enlisted her help with a very sensitive diplomatic mission.

by Anonymousreply 154March 3, 2023 2:59 AM

She was delivering exit visas to Portugal, eh?

Or maybe you just made up some shit for this thread…

by Anonymousreply 155March 3, 2023 3:08 AM

The Connie Francis troll is here. Jackie looked nothing like Connie and she couldn't sing phonetically in Serbo-Croatian either. I'm sure Jackie would never be caught dead in a Howard Johnson's. Her sense of quiet good taste was not something Connie would appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 156March 3, 2023 3:16 AM

She was one of the few American's who had majesty.

by Anonymousreply 157March 3, 2023 3:18 AM

The space between the eyes equals the size of an eye. Think this: “you could fit another eye in between your eyes”. Jackie had a very long eye length and I've measured several photos of the eye and the distance between the two eyes. It's the right distance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 3, 2023 3:20 AM

[quote]The Connie Francis troll is here. Jackie looked nothing like Connie and she couldn't sing phonetically in Serbo-Croatian either.

And Jackie didn't have a mustache.

by Anonymousreply 159March 3, 2023 3:20 AM

OP there is a such thing as Washington pretty. I love her but would Michelle Obama be considered a great beauty if she weren’t First Lady. Same with Obama. He’s sexy but not that good looking I mean not bad looking but average. I want to hook up with him so bad though.

by Anonymousreply 160March 3, 2023 3:21 AM

But did Jackie feel the "soreness" like Connie Francis did at the Ho-Jo?

by Anonymousreply 161March 3, 2023 3:22 AM

You are right, r154, but the country she went to was Cambodia.

by Anonymousreply 162March 3, 2023 2:30 PM

R162 LBJ asked her to go. She agreed to go to Cambodia to try to get Prince Sihanouk to pressure the Viet Cong to release American POW's. She was a private citizen at that time. One can only imagine her flashbacks riding in an convertible in a motorcade just four years after the murder of her husband in similar circumstances. Considering she had under gone electric shock therapy for what we now term PTSD. Jackie was a courageous lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 3, 2023 3:26 PM

Sure, yea—she was sent to explore safe sites for US attacks on the Vietcong, on behalf of the man she disliked most during her time in Washington WTF…while her own brother-in-law was in a personal dilemma over running against LBJ, and while her friend Robert McNamara was mourning over having to leave the Defense Dept. because of SE Asia.

TLDR: she had the trip planned. For a long while. She did the courtesy stuff any prior First Lady would have agreed to. …if there was an underlying political rationale, it was to benefit her husband’s memory and her family ties—NOT to help LBJ win a losing war. 🫥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 3, 2023 4:28 PM

Actually Bob McNamara helped talk her into going . Perhaps reading a history book as a substitute for Netflicks?. Just a thought, but then you're obviously Gen-X home schooled so Netflick is probably the best we can hope for R164.

by Anonymousreply 165March 5, 2023 12:33 AM

The Father King of Cambodia obviously knew royalty when he saw it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 5, 2023 12:46 AM

She didn’t need anyone to tell her to go to Cambodia, numnut. Where’s your historical footnote for that assertion, old man—well too old, I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 167March 5, 2023 12:21 PM

R164, Jackie was old school. The President asked her to do something. The request was not unreasonable. And it involved using her brain and her status. Of course she would do it. Because regardless of how the family felt about him, she was very aware that she depended on his good will for any number of things. She knew she had a certain amount of leverage over him because she was the much revered widow, but she also knew that accepting a task like this one would increase her status and put him in her debt. Jackie was a whole lot smarter than she was given credit for.

by Anonymousreply 168March 5, 2023 1:43 PM

Put him in her debt? He had already killed her husband! JFC!

by Anonymousreply 169March 5, 2023 2:51 PM

R167/R169 Young man time to go back to your X-Box j/o and let the adults talk.

by Anonymousreply 170March 5, 2023 3:48 PM

Jackie HO was a glorified courtesan.

by Anonymousreply 171March 5, 2023 3:50 PM

All Jackie's foreign travel after JFK was assassinated, was coordinated with the state department and the White House was notified. As a courtesy, she would even call to ask if there was anything she might do while abroad. This is how it was done. It was basic protocol. In fact in most instances a foreign country would either go through the State Department or the White House to extend the invitation.

by Anonymousreply 172March 5, 2023 4:10 PM

[quote]As a courtesy, she would even call to ask if there was anything she might do…

More like “ANYONE” she might do!

by Anonymousreply 173March 5, 2023 4:15 PM

Why is anyone considered to be a great beauty?

by Anonymousreply 174March 5, 2023 4:33 PM

R164 How old ARE you? So old that—assuming you went to college—you had to take a third SAT II-Achievement Test? All you Daddy-os had to take the Math and English sections... but by far the most common third test was American History!—what was your score 😵‍💫 When then the A.P. US History exam came a knockin’, were you even rockin’?

by Anonymousreply 175March 5, 2023 9:58 PM

Correction for R165 R170

by Anonymousreply 176March 5, 2023 10:00 PM

I do not think anyone considered Jackie a great beauty. She carried herself well, dressed impeccably, and had social smarts. She was in good standing within her circle and could be considered somewhat of a catch as a marriage partner within the wealthy east coast Roman Catholic community.

by Anonymousreply 177March 5, 2023 10:26 PM

Jackie’s greatest asset was the fact she wasn’t Lee.

by Anonymousreply 178March 5, 2023 10:32 PM

Marilyn though Jackie was pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 5, 2023 10:37 PM

She made the effort with what she had (including money) and did it successfully.

by Anonymousreply 180March 5, 2023 11:02 PM

[quote] (St. John’s—nr Davis Sq.)

It's funny that you note your parent's origins by their parish church. That's very old school Catholic/neighborhood-speak).

When I was at BU I had classmates who shared a flat in Somerville and frequently attended weekend Mass at St. John the Evangelist. I believe it was also Tip O'Neill's parish church.

by Anonymousreply 181March 5, 2023 11:20 PM

R27, define poise in this circumstance?

by Anonymousreply 182March 5, 2023 11:46 PM

Maintaining emotions and composure in all social situations R182. And also posture. Something modern women could stand to learn.

by Anonymousreply 183March 5, 2023 11:58 PM

Her face behind the veil during her husband's funeral was the most devestated I've ever seen. Soul crushing, I don't know how she did it. In his face when his brains were blown out and she had to be in public after that. Mary!

by Anonymousreply 184March 6, 2023 12:03 AM

Her face behind the veil during her husband's funeral was the most devestated I've ever seen. Soul crushing, I don't know how she did it. In his face when his brains were blown out and she had to be in public after that. Mary!

Max Jacobson pumped her full of drugs, that's how she did it! Strength my ass!

by Anonymousreply 185March 6, 2023 1:12 AM

R181. Thanks for your reply. Though, it’s not that strange—there were two parishes in North Cambridge… Irish : St. John’s; and French: Notre Dame de Pitie. My parents, and hence all of my *many* aunts and uncles, came from the same small patch of North Cambridge (Day Street/Mass Ave/Haskell Street). I had different sets of grandparents who went to different churches—some family straight from Quebec and others once removed from Ireland ;and the Azores.

by Anonymousreply 186March 6, 2023 1:14 AM

R181 fun facts:

My grandfather was a friend of Tip O’Neill’s father—my grand pere was paid to “make sure the French vote.”

Tip was mostly raised by a Québécois housekeeper. My dad said people joked how he talked kind a funny for an Irishman…My dad, in high school, was one of the “pages” when Tip was speaker of the Mass. house.

by Anonymousreply 187March 6, 2023 1:23 AM

Someone said of Jacqueline Kennedy that "She knew how to behave."

by Anonymousreply 188March 6, 2023 1:50 AM

R185 Peeks your homosexual husband never went near your ass.

by Anonymousreply 189March 6, 2023 1:44 PM

[quote] When I was at BU I had classmates who shared a flat in Somerville and frequently attended weekend Mass at St. John the Evangelist. I believe it was also Tip O'Neill's parish church.

Yes, that's correct. Tip O'Neill's parish church was St. John the Evangelist in Cambridge.

by Anonymousreply 190March 6, 2023 2:02 PM

Yes, Greg…that question was already addressed above. Your imprimatur was not needed here. Please keep to your own side of the Charles —TIA

by Anonymousreply 191March 6, 2023 2:04 PM

And, for the record, any St. John’s parishioner would tell you that it is in North Cambridge …a distinct with a difference in that neck of the woods.

by Anonymousreply 192March 6, 2023 2:06 PM

R191, we don't need your input here. Please keep your thoughts to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 193March 6, 2023 3:13 PM

^there you go again…always managing to alienate folks. Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 194March 6, 2023 3:18 PM

^I guess you didn't read R191. And if you did, how is it that anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence (not even a lot) cannot see that it's R191, who is attempting to alienate me? In case you're too lazy to go look, this is what R191 said:

[quote] Yes, Greg…that question was already addressed above. Your imprimatur was not needed here. Please keep to your own side of the Charles —TIA

Now, R194, if you don't see that as an alienating comment by a true cunt, then you are just as much a part of the problem here. Am I alienating R191? I don't think so. It's quite the opposite.

Hope you have a good day!

by Anonymousreply 195March 6, 2023 3:43 PM

Dear, sweet Greg 02116–

We get that you care very much about food..and Boston; but, you’re not the be all to end all. As much as you go on about the correct order of street names in the Back Bay—and similar factoids—there are other DLers who know as much, if not more, than you do about other cities, towns, etc.. They have their own interesting insights to ye-old Boston. Maybe you could learn to sit back, relax and just enjoy the flight. As a poster, you too frequently come across as a pedant…and not a particularly nice person. We wish you well…

by Anonymousreply 196March 7, 2023 12:37 AM

An old WaPo opinion piece on Jackie...ouch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 7, 2023 12:55 AM

That was scathing R197. Can't believe they printed it back in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 198March 7, 2023 1:37 AM

r197 Lee ghost wrote that article.

by Anonymousreply 199March 7, 2023 2:23 AM

It really does sound like the writer had it in for Jackie. Unless Jackie really was that terrible, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 200March 7, 2023 2:25 AM

Helen Lawrenson sounds like an absolute cunt of a human being, and that article stinks of jealousy and insecurity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 7, 2023 2:28 AM

I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 202March 7, 2023 2:29 AM

There are a lot of inaccuracies in that article.

by Anonymousreply 203March 7, 2023 2:30 AM

Mrs Lawrenson, come sit by me a while.

by Anonymousreply 204March 7, 2023 2:40 AM

The DC press hated Jackie because she treated them like garbage. Also, a year or two before that article was published Jackie had stopped speaking to Ben Bradlee, who wrote a book about his friendship with Jack Kennedy and his foul mouth, which didn’t fit the Camelot image (neither did Ben’s sister in law Mary Meyer fucking JFK and introducing him to drugs).

Bradlee had purchased Grey Gardens by 1979 with his cunt wife Sally Quinn. Jackie once said of Sally, “Sally Quinn is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with Washington.”

Apparently Ben Bradlee saw her in New York on a street and put his arms out to say hello and hug her, and Jackie breezed right past him without a word.

by Anonymousreply 205March 7, 2023 3:00 AM

Lawrenson is great on Claire Booth Luce---who was a cunt's cunt. She's vicious to Jackie but has much of the story right and I say that as someone who ultimately liked Jackie. Marrying Onassis gave her a freedom that still being in the Kennedy orbit never would have done. Jackie was was spoiled and petulant pre-Onassis' death. Afterward, she truly was her own person.

by Anonymousreply 206March 7, 2023 3:11 AM

R37 Who are you calling matronly, Mr. Lemon?

by Anonymousreply 207March 7, 2023 3:13 AM

R205: Jackie saying bitchy stuff about Sally Quinn makes me really like her (Jackie) more. Quinn was a horrible person and her mother spent years whoring around with Barry Goldwater.

by Anonymousreply 208March 7, 2023 3:14 AM

I wonder what Jackie’s reaction was to that article. Some of it must have hit home but wow, some of it is really over the top.

Still fun reading it as opposed to the usual gush and drooling from the media over the years.

The writer would have been right at home at DL.

by Anonymousreply 209March 7, 2023 3:21 AM

Since we’re talking about Jackie and her style, you might want to check out this YouTube video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 7, 2023 3:59 AM

More on Jackie’s style:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 7, 2023 4:01 AM

Onassis gave her for herself a Fifth Avenue apartment in New York with five servants and furnishings that included paintings by Van Gogh, Picasso and El Greco,

That's bullshit, Jackie bought 1040 in 1964 by herself.

by Anonymousreply 212March 7, 2023 4:15 AM

R203 Using Kitty Kelley as some sort of credible reference is one.

by Anonymousreply 213March 7, 2023 4:16 AM

I've never heard a nice word about Sally Quinn. Helen Lawrenson would have had a field day with Melania Trump!

by Anonymousreply 214March 7, 2023 4:17 AM

Oh Mrs Lawrenson, you can't hurt me where I live.

by Anonymousreply 215March 7, 2023 4:18 AM

Did Jackie ever respond to that article? I would imagine the author received a lot of backlash from irate admirers …. Sounds like Jackie didn’t like sex

by Anonymousreply 216March 7, 2023 8:38 AM

Greg's star is flaming out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217March 7, 2023 9:25 AM

^I read somewhere that Jackie’s firdr words after her initial sexual encounter were “Is that it?”

by Anonymousreply 218March 7, 2023 11:13 AM

JFK didn't do foreplay.

MM

by Anonymousreply 219March 7, 2023 11:20 AM

The 3rd paragraph at R197's link starts "She's no great beauty...."

That was the contemporary opinion of Jackie's looks during her lifetime. Not OP's fabrications and delusions.

I rest my case. I'll see myself out. THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 220March 7, 2023 11:48 AM

She was glamorous, not beautiful. Lawrenson’s assessment of Jackie’s physical appearance was spot on.

by Anonymousreply 221March 7, 2023 12:53 PM

She wasn’t beautiful in the traditional sense but she was very pretty and photogenic when she was young. Maybe some people here don’t consider she was, but people back then certainly did, John Kennedy would never have married her if she weren’t.

by Anonymousreply 222March 7, 2023 12:56 PM

JFK’s reasons for marrying Jackie have been explained upthread r222.

by Anonymousreply 223March 7, 2023 12:58 PM

^ Miss Prisspot has spoken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 7, 2023 3:48 PM

R197 Boy ole Benjy Bradlee was a real cunt.

by Anonymousreply 225March 7, 2023 3:52 PM

R223, yes, agree, but if she had all of those qualities talked about upthread, and she was ugly, he would never have married her.

by Anonymousreply 226March 7, 2023 5:33 PM

Jackie was legendary for never looking at you during a 1 on 1 conversation.

She would always look off to the side while conversing with someone.

by Anonymousreply 227March 7, 2023 5:36 PM

R225, Jackie ended her friendship with Ben Bradlee after he wrote what she believed was an unflattering book on JFK In 1975.

If they were ever at the same event after 1975, Jackie would totally ignore Ben’s attempts to be cordial.

by Anonymousreply 228March 7, 2023 5:43 PM

R227 that’s because of where her eyes were positioned on her face. 😉

by Anonymousreply 229March 7, 2023 5:45 PM

R228 she was loyal. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 230March 7, 2023 6:05 PM

[quote] Greg's star is flaming out.

I rather doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 231March 7, 2023 10:10 PM

Jackie was gorgeous. She was an unconventional beauty. You have pedestrian tastes OP.

by Anonymousreply 232March 7, 2023 10:12 PM

[quote] … As a poster, you too frequently come across as a pedant…and not a particularly nice person.

Oh, R196, I don’t mean to. And sorry you don’t find me nice, because I am.

by Anonymousreply 233March 7, 2023 10:13 PM

She looked like Sid from Ice Age, but she had grace and style. Things were different then in that things were superficial on multiple levels not just blatant beauty (it’s beyond before my time, but it feels that way looking back).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234March 7, 2023 10:27 PM

Greg take your prune loving ass elsewhere, this thread is about Jackie.

As someone who has posted on DL for over 20 years, let me point out to you that when it comes to replying to DL insults-less is more. Every comment doesn’t require a response.

SO DON’T REPLY TO THIS ONE ASSHOLE, GO START YOUR OWN FUCKING THREAD ABOUT THE CATHOLICS OF CAMBRIDGE ELSEWHERE! TWAT! 🖕

by Anonymousreply 235March 7, 2023 10:30 PM

I think R235 is out of sorts!

Maybe he’s on the rag?

by Anonymousreply 236March 7, 2023 10:43 PM

[quote] SO DON’T REPLY TO THIS ONE ASSHOLE

All caps! I say!

I’m so bad at following directions.

Sorry, toots!

by Anonymousreply 237March 7, 2023 10:44 PM

[quote] As someone who has posted on DL for over 20 years …

That carries no weight with me, sweet little R235. I’ve been a loyal Datalounge contributor since 1995 — that’s 28 years.

I also have little to do with Cambridge.

Why are you so cantankerous?

by Anonymousreply 238March 7, 2023 11:07 PM

At the risk of over-replying, I love that R235 neglected to place a comma between “one” and “asshole.”

[quote] SO DON’T REPLY TO THIS ONE ASSHOLE

Unless, in a moment of self-awareness, R235 knows that he is an asshole? I bet that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 239March 7, 2023 11:22 PM

Is this even "Greg"? The first "Greg" seemed to have an IQ of about 105. This one, 90 at best.

by Anonymousreply 240March 7, 2023 11:25 PM

Furthermore, I have it on good authority that Jackie was quite fond of prunes.

by Anonymousreply 241March 7, 2023 11:25 PM

[quote] Is this even "Greg"? The first "Greg" seemed to have an IQ of about 105. This one, 90 at best.

Yes, I am the real Greg and my IQ is around 165.

How about you, R240? A regular brain trust, I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 242March 7, 2023 11:28 PM

For those unaware, Maurice Tempelsman is still alive at 93.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243March 7, 2023 11:31 PM

^Jackie and Maurice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244March 7, 2023 11:33 PM

Let’s split the difference: agree that Greg’s IQ is “97.5.” That’s ‘OK by me.”

by Anonymousreply 245March 7, 2023 11:34 PM

Even Helen Lawrenson points out what a change she was after frumpy Bess Truman and Mamie Eisenhower. Bess hated Washington and probably avoided people she didn't want to meet as much as Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 246March 7, 2023 11:34 PM

R246, Jackie spent a lot more time away from the White House than the public knew at the time.

She refused to do many of the mundane FLOTUS duties and passed them off to Lady Bird, JFK’s sisters, Rose or her mother Janet.

by Anonymousreply 247March 7, 2023 11:43 PM

Both Ari and Maurice were such toads— and she earned every penny. But still, what a greedy cunt she was.

Wonder if Lee made a play for Maurice after Jackie died?

by Anonymousreply 248March 8, 2023 12:07 AM

Apparently Maurice dated Joan Rivers after Jackie died but I don't know if i believe that.

by Anonymousreply 249March 8, 2023 5:25 AM

R249, Maurice and Joan only dated several times after Jackie’s death.

Reportedly, Caroline was upset that Maurice began dating after Jackie died, which was none of her business.

by Anonymousreply 250March 8, 2023 8:15 AM

[quote] Let’s split the difference: agree that Greg’s IQ is “97.5.” That’s ‘OK by me.”

R245, your quotation marks make no sense. Okay by you? Really. Tell us why? You enjoy lying.

by Anonymousreply 251March 8, 2023 10:57 AM

Guys, I just block Greg. It's very easy, you should try it. I haven't seen a Greg post or thread in months. He'll probably reply to this but I won't see it.

It's glorious. Try it.

by Anonymousreply 252March 8, 2023 11:55 AM

He’ll see it — no question.

by Anonymousreply 253March 8, 2023 12:12 PM

And why the desire to block me anyway? I really just attempt to share what I think are some really good things.

by Anonymousreply 254March 8, 2023 12:18 PM

R252 I agree. The foodie Greg was harmless, I never minded his posts. After blocking this new, twerp Greg, they’re obviously not the same person. Unless old Greg is schizophrenic.

by Anonymousreply 255March 8, 2023 12:33 PM

Which Greg is which? I’m confused

by Anonymousreply 256March 8, 2023 12:45 PM

I am the real Greg.

Later today I plan to share my thoughts on the best ways to cook that most humble of all foods: the ever-versatile egg.

by Anonymousreply 257March 8, 2023 2:32 PM

Put in your requests for the types of egg you'd like to master:

Soft Scrambled (French-style eggs, or as the Countess Luann de Lesseps refers to them: Eggs à la Francaise)

American Scrambled Eggs

Poached Eggs

Soft Boiled Eggs

Fried Eggs

Shirred Eggs

by Anonymousreply 258March 8, 2023 5:19 PM

Kennedy was the first black Golddigger, which was quite a feat. Dean Martin had sworn that he would NEVER integrate the squad. Anyway, I always thought she was pretty, but had kind of a witchy chin, but in those days, looks were enough to get one network news anchor gigs. And she was soon a sideline sports reporter. She was wooed by and married a famous boxer, I think. They both quit their professions to take acting classes. She was in 1979's TV movie 'The Mysterious Island of Beautiful Women' and did a film together.

by Anonymousreply 259March 8, 2023 6:24 PM

Whatsa shirred egg?

by Anonymousreply 260March 8, 2023 6:27 PM

Anyone signing their posts "Greg" gets blocked. If the original poster ever wasn't a complete jackass I don't remember it. If "Greg" is now another "collaborative fiction" character like Erna, I don't care -- I block all of those posts/posters, too. DL is a lot better without their particular idiocy and attention-seeking popping up everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 261March 8, 2023 6:28 PM

R261, while I admit Greg can get a bit obnoxious and defensive at times I will not be blocking him. I think we need these eccentrics to help keep DL being its wonderful self. What you are urging is for us to become bland, colorless and "nice." In other words BORING. So block away. You do you.

by Anonymousreply 262March 8, 2023 6:37 PM

Yeah, R252, please do us a favor and take your hand-wringing elsewhere. You are tedious and pathetic.

As a wise person once said, "When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it."

Was I ever not a "complete jackass?" Oh, yes, I was.

R252 wants a bland DL that doesn't challenge his way of thinking. That's fine. He should block all types of people. For me, however, that sounds boring—just as the lovely R262 said.

by Anonymousreply 263March 8, 2023 6:46 PM

Thank you for being reasonable, R262.

I have no patience with delicate flowers like R252/R261.

by Anonymousreply 264March 8, 2023 6:49 PM

Jackie was beautiful in a very American Sporty kind of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265March 8, 2023 6:57 PM

R259, WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 266March 8, 2023 6:59 PM

Who smoked more heavily, Jack or Jackie?

by Anonymousreply 267March 8, 2023 7:01 PM

She was never beautiful or pretty or cute. People saw what they wanted to see.

by Anonymousreply 268March 8, 2023 7:10 PM

I'd love a shirred egg! But shwitch the egg with vodka and throw in 2 Demorol, darling. Thanksh sho much. Zzzzzzzz....

by Anonymousreply 269March 8, 2023 7:33 PM

Good idea about blocking Greg. He's so disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 270March 8, 2023 7:33 PM

R270 learned a new word, y'all!!! You go gurl!

by Anonymousreply 271March 8, 2023 7:51 PM

Greg is either 1) a cosplay character who isn't amusing, created by a person with a personality disorder, or 2) a person with a personality disorder who isn't amusing. I lean toward the first option.

by Anonymousreply 272March 8, 2023 8:00 PM

[quote] Greg is either 1) a cosplay character who isn't amusing, created by a person with a personality disorder, or 2) a person with a personality disorder who isn't amusing. I lean toward the first option.

Wow, VillaBadoviciCorseaux, are those my only two options?

Well, I think I’m actually very amusing.

I’m not a cosplay character.

And I don’t believe I have a personality disorder.

Which option did you choose, VillaBadoviciCorseaux? The first one?

Hmmmm….no. I definitely think you’ve left off some options. Why don’t you reconsider your childish post and get back to us once your senses return to you.

by Anonymousreply 273March 8, 2023 8:54 PM

R270 must be preparing for the PSATs.

R271 is right. R270, am I also … ‘churlish?’

by Anonymousreply 274March 8, 2023 8:58 PM

The OG character "Greg" would not post 30 inane responses on this thread. This Greg here , is cosplay. It's a second "Greg" invented by a different person than the OG Greg. The original Greg may have been cosplay as well. But was a bit smarter and had some good deadpan skills. Not this new Greg.

by Anonymousreply 275March 8, 2023 8:59 PM

Just what sort of deadpan skills, R275?

by Anonymousreply 276March 8, 2023 9:01 PM

[quote] I think she was very unique

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

"Uniqueness" is an absolute quality--you cannot be "very unique" or "a little unique."

by Anonymousreply 277March 8, 2023 9:04 PM

Right. It’s like saying someone is very pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 278March 8, 2023 9:06 PM

R260, a shirred egg is another name for a baked egg. Shirred eggs are baked with a little cream and perhaps some grated cheese, and maybe a little sautéed onion and spinach, in small, individual cups at a relatively low temperature—just until the whites have set but the yolks remain fluid and golden. The word shirred refers to the flat-bottomed dish, or “shirrer,” in which the eggs were traditionally cooked.

They are a lovely and easy alternative to other more common ways to cook eggs.

by Anonymousreply 279March 8, 2023 9:26 PM

These are the egg coddlers I own and in which I make my eggs. One could also use small Mason jars or even ramekins. These are used for both shirred eggs and coddled eggs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280March 8, 2023 9:40 PM

Greg, a lot of us appreciate your recipes but why did you post on this Jackie thread? Some people get riled up by you about anything—and so the thread gets hijacked.

Getting back to Jackie, OP, she was not beautiful in a conventional way, but her aloofness and sense of style and sophistication made some adore her despite all the dirt.

by Anonymousreply 281March 8, 2023 10:35 PM

Why hasn't Maurice written an autobiography, I want to know?

by Anonymousreply 282March 8, 2023 10:43 PM

Why, R281? Funny question. I posted:

[quote] Yes, [R113], Miss Porter’s School is located in Farmington, Connecticut.

Why? Because there was a question about it.

Same with my saying that Tip O’Neill’s parish church was St. John the Evangelist in Cambridge.

And then people started saying insulting things.

I wasn’t aware that people couldn’t post responses on any thread. I appreciate you filling me in on the rules.

by Anonymousreply 283March 8, 2023 10:46 PM

“Greg02116, et al. rile up the rest of us about anything—and so the thread gets hijacked.”

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 284March 8, 2023 10:49 PM

R284, Walden Pond is so lovely. Do you swim there?

by Anonymousreply 285March 8, 2023 10:59 PM

R281^ use the active, not the passive…

by Anonymousreply 286March 8, 2023 11:02 PM

R281 can’t see where the blame rightfully belongs for hijacked threads.

by Anonymousreply 287March 8, 2023 11:06 PM

Embrace your notoriety, Greg. You’re like catnip to the cats on DL.

by Anonymousreply 288March 8, 2023 11:15 PM

Thank you, R288.

I do think I used to be nicer on here, but people (not everyone for sure) have been so rude and unkind.

I will, as you advise, embrace my notoriety. People complain, but I suspect they welcome any reason to work themselves into a lather.

by Anonymousreply 289March 8, 2023 11:20 PM

Somewhat back on topic, a recipe from the lady herself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290March 8, 2023 11:21 PM

This thread is about ME, not Greg!

by Anonymousreply 291March 9, 2023 12:08 AM

Why hasn't Maurice written an autobiography, I want to know?

Class, dignity. Respect.

by Anonymousreply 292March 9, 2023 12:09 AM

R292 - none of those stopped Prince Harry, and he's a prince!

by Anonymousreply 293March 9, 2023 12:20 AM

The End.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294March 9, 2023 12:21 AM

R280

A member of my family has those coddlers in a different pattern. They're gorgeous, but for reasons I forget, they don't work well. Those are left on the shelf and a pair of cheap plastic coddlers are used instead.

by Anonymousreply 295March 9, 2023 1:28 AM

R283

I was slightly irritated because I knew where Miss Porter's School was located and thought that was clear. My question was only whether the girls still called it "Farmington." Many decades ago, I had an argument with my mother, who knew nothing about these schools, and she kept talking about how snobby the name "Miss Porter's School" sounded. I told her that the students did not actually refer to it that way but she couldn't accept that.

by Anonymousreply 296March 9, 2023 1:34 AM

R296: Your house sounds like laugh riot.

by Anonymousreply 297March 9, 2023 2:39 AM

To R290, Did Mrs. Onassis fry up some ground meat and tomato sauce, serve Sloppy Joes or Ground meat and noodles( as my mom called it).

by Anonymousreply 298March 9, 2023 2:44 AM

none of those stopped Prince Harry, and he's a prince!

whoever said Harry has class, dignity or respect?

by Anonymousreply 299March 9, 2023 8:02 AM

I don't think anyone ever considered her a great beauty, you just assume that OP. She had virtues that made her attractive and alluring. She had class, dignity, grace, intelligence, sophistication and style, but she was also enigmatic. She cleverly cultivated an air of secrecy, privacy, tragedy and mystery about herself that piqued interest.

She made herself interesting by merely staying silent, by being seen but not heard, wearing those oversized sunglasses and headscarves which said; 'I want to be noticed, but you can't know me.' It's telling that one of her heroes was Garbo, who was also visible yet silent. It's Jackie's mystique that made her attractive, especially in a world where people show too much of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 300March 9, 2023 8:49 AM

^I once read that Jackie thought it was tacky of Princess Diana to seek media attention like she did.

by Anonymousreply 301March 9, 2023 11:07 AM

Well, R296, if your mother still draws breath you can tell her that at least in my day, the girls still referred to MPS as Farmington.

by Anonymousreply 302March 9, 2023 11:10 AM

That’s all it is, basically r298. Jackie was so pretentious about her partial French ancestry. She tried to make her recipe sound like more than what it actually was…

by Anonymousreply 303March 9, 2023 1:20 PM

Jacqueline, rhymes with queen.

by Anonymousreply 304March 9, 2023 1:55 PM

Ethel, rhymes with Shar Pei…oh, wait, LOOKS like a Shar Pei.

by Anonymousreply 305March 9, 2023 3:07 PM

R303 She spoke French well. I read an essay she wrote as a high school senior or in college that earned her a prize, I think it was a year in Paris. Her family feared she would not return to the United States because she enjoyed France so much. She was obviously very intelligent and well-read. The essay mentioned Madame de Staël.

by Anonymousreply 306March 9, 2023 3:08 PM

R302

My mother is dead. Alive, however, is my understanding of why you irritate people.

by Anonymousreply 307March 9, 2023 3:10 PM

This thread is getting ruined with the back and forth over a fucking school name.

by Anonymousreply 308March 9, 2023 4:17 PM

I think of her as a woman with incredible taste. No so much beauty.

by Anonymousreply 309March 9, 2023 4:29 PM

Mom was a hairdresser during the sixties and she did white ladies hair for a few months before she was hired by her cousin. All the white women wanted that big bouffant hair that Jackie was able to pull off. Mom said that the only reason Jackie could pull it off was because she had a massive head. It wasn’t a good look if you had a normal sized head or worse, a pea sized head. But they tipped well, so Mom and her bosses aimed to please.

by Anonymousreply 310March 9, 2023 4:35 PM

I think she was considered "classy" and "fashionable" not necessarily beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 311March 9, 2023 5:01 PM

ET..phone home!!!

by Anonymousreply 312March 9, 2023 5:55 PM

She had bad teeth. Too small, crooked and yellowed from years of smoking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313March 9, 2023 7:23 PM

[quote] This thread is getting ruined with the back and forth over a fucking school name.

R308 is right. Let’s leave it at this:

Miss Porter’s School is also often referred to as ‘Farmington.’

by Anonymousreply 314March 9, 2023 7:59 PM

This is it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315March 9, 2023 8:01 PM

It’s no Chadwick School.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316March 9, 2023 8:10 PM

R284/R281 Grand-mères take it inside s'il te plaît .You are scaring the horses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317March 10, 2023 2:57 AM

R308

317 replies. Four posts. Yeah, ruined.

by Anonymousreply 318March 10, 2023 12:12 PM

R310

Black women with straightened hair also wore bouffant hairstyles. Jackie Kennedy was a style icon for women of every color. Compared to some women, Jackie's hair was not that extreme.

by Anonymousreply 319March 10, 2023 12:17 PM

I’m afraid to ask why someone referenced Chadwick in the same breath as “Farmington?” A bad Joan Crawford analogy?

Chadwick wouldn’t even make the list of top 10 private schools in L.A. County…

by Anonymousreply 320March 10, 2023 12:29 PM

She was goofy-looking with a contrived personality. I'm never surprised when people who actually knew her claim she was a cold bitch.

by Anonymousreply 321March 10, 2023 2:32 PM

^i wonder if that depended on the individual. Jim Williams, the accused murderer in ‘Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil’ mentioned how unpretentious she was when she visited his home.

by Anonymousreply 322March 10, 2023 3:00 PM

Some of the most powerful men in the world were putty in her hands. "Wouldn't it be nice to have the Mona Lisa?" Bingo. Wouldn't it be nice to have an ancient Egyptian Temple?" Ok pick one we'll crate it up. 'Wouldn't it be nice to rename a 300 yo historic landmark for my husband?" Okee dokee lil lady. "Wouldn't it be nice not to bulldoze my commuter hub?" Ya got it toots. They said Jackie had a "whim of iron."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323March 10, 2023 3:37 PM

^ Well the putána didn't get him to change the name of our boat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324March 10, 2023 3:42 PM

R323 "Jack wouldn't it be nice if you kept it in your pants?

by Anonymousreply 325March 10, 2023 3:45 PM

What 300 year old historical landmark was renamed for JFK? Please excuse my ignorance in advance. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 326March 10, 2023 3:48 PM

" Tony wouldn't it be nice if you didn't play by second husband?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327March 10, 2023 3:52 PM

Well, her mother sounded like she was an absolute cunt. Explains some of her personality traits. Domineering, hypercritical mother, self centered drunken father…wow, sounds like my parents 🙄🛑

by Anonymousreply 328March 10, 2023 6:34 PM

R326 ^ see link. It is still a work in progress…they’ve caught up to the jet age, however

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329March 10, 2023 7:07 PM

Most, if not all, physical beauty is malleable. It's not so much a specific arrangement of features that makes a person beautiful as it is grooming, poise, and the spirit that animates. Jackie willed herself to be one of the most beautiful women of the 20th Century, and she was.

by Anonymousreply 330March 10, 2023 8:46 PM

^^^^MARY!

by Anonymousreply 331March 10, 2023 10:24 PM

MARY MYER !

Fixed for R331

by Anonymousreply 332March 10, 2023 11:47 PM

R332, Meyer, not Myer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333March 11, 2023 1:09 AM

That party. Hosted by Jacqueline Kennedy in honor of Jack and held aboard the yacht Sequoia on his 46th and last birthday celebration, May 29, 1963.

That party. The one in which Mary Meyer was present. The one who Charles Bartlett, according to the net, a ‘Kennedy intimate’ to who Jack had confessed he was deeply smitten with.

That party. Which did not include Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn Monroe, who had just sang him that famous birthday song earlier, neglecting to go to the studio for work on her latest and last movie and causing her to get fired and instead snuck off to sing to him for his birthday.

That party later, on the Sequoia.

Was she not invited to the Sequoia party because she had already been replaced by Meyer?

by Anonymousreply 334March 11, 2023 2:01 AM

Monroe’s famed birthday song to Jack was in 1962.

by Anonymousreply 335March 11, 2023 2:19 AM

R334 Marilyn died in ‘62.

by Anonymousreply 336March 11, 2023 6:02 AM

Perhaps MM was not invited to the party because she was otherwise engaged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337March 11, 2023 11:57 AM

R337 Oh for heavens sakes, I forgot she died in 62.

by Anonymousreply 338March 11, 2023 11:53 PM

The myth that Jackie and JFK's marriage was getting stronger in late 1963 after they lost the baby is rubbish. Supposedly he had curtailed his sexual addiction and was trying to be faithful . He had banished his long time mistress Mary Meyer. Jackie showing an apparent European sophistication had incited Mary to JFK's last birday party. Seated her next to him at the table. Her strategy appeared to be ignore her and Jack would tire of Mary like all the others. Wrong . Unlike his other bimbos,actress and hookers Jackie considered Mary a real threat because she was of the same class,smart ,stylish and apparently JFK was besotted with her bohemian anything goes vivacious personality and of course that she was into LSD and anal sex was a plus. Now Jackie wanted her gone. So the story goes a guilty Jack dumped Mary and zipped his pants. The reality was somewhat different. A note from JFK to Mary just weeks before Nov 22 begging her to rendezvous with him in NYC on Nov11 was just auctioned off. She declined so he settled for his 19 yo lolita Mimi Alford hooking up with her at the Carlyle. JFK administered the coup d'grace on Nov 20 at the White House reception for Supreme Court Justices. Jackie returned early looked down the stairs and saw Mary Meyer sneering up at her from the landing. Justice Douglas wife Joan recalled she heard raised voices behind the door and when Jack and Jackie appeared it was obvious they had been quarreling and "the President's hair was standing up in the back like it had been pulled". Snap is of the reception JFK is looking up at the landing where Mary was perched. Jackie looked glum and only stayed twenty minutes then bailed. They left for Dallas the next morning. A leopard doesn't change its spots. So much for revisionist Camelot claptrap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339March 12, 2023 12:53 AM

Mary looked like she'd be up for anal. JFK was quoted as saying he "wasn't done with a gal until he'd had her three ways".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340March 12, 2023 12:59 AM

In October 1963, one month before his assassination, Kennedy wrote a letter to Mary Pinchot Meyer, imploring her to join him for a tryst. The unsent letter, written on White House stationery and retained by Kennedy's personal secretary Evelyn Lincoln, sold in June 2016 at auction for just under $89,000.[17] The letter reads: "Why don't you leave suburbia for once – come and see me – either here – or at the Cape next week or in Boston the 19th. I know it is unwise, irrational, and that you may hate it – on the other hand you may not – and I will love it. You say that it is good for me not to get what I want. After all of these years – you should give me a more loving answer than that. Why don't you just say yes." The letter is signed "J."

by Anonymousreply 341March 12, 2023 1:01 AM

R339 Good post— about time someone pointed out Jackie’s lies about how the contrite JFK after their baby died suddenly changed his slutty ways. All the lovey dovey talk was horse shit. In fact, she went off sailing on Onassis’s yacht with Lee afterwards after the baby died— and we know what that led to. She stole Ari from right under Lee’s nose even then.

To be fair, Jackie didn’t expect her husband would be killed soon after, etc. but to the day he died he had pussy on the brain — and it sure wasn’t Jackie’s.

by Anonymousreply 342March 12, 2023 1:54 AM

R341 Well to be fair it was an "unmailed" letter.

by Anonymousreply 343March 12, 2023 1:55 AM

" It took some time but we were just starting to make it work and then I got the rug pulled out from under me."...Jacqueline Kennedy

Obviously wishful thinking on her part.

by Anonymousreply 344March 12, 2023 1:58 AM

Once the play has closed it's easier to revise the script.

by Anonymousreply 345March 12, 2023 1:59 AM

He wrote the note to Mary Meyer in Oct 63 which was the time Jackie was being wined, dined and perhaps 69'd on Onassis yacht. SS agent Clint Hill says JFK called him in before Jackie left for the yacht and told him "Your job is to keep Onassis away from Mrs Kennedy". Think they both knew each other very well.

by Anonymousreply 346March 12, 2023 2:07 AM

The idea of Aristotle 69ing is absolutely nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 347March 12, 2023 2:10 AM

“The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive and unrealistic." John F. Kennedy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348March 12, 2023 2:13 AM

R347 I can think of a billion reasons why it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 349March 12, 2023 2:13 AM

"Those jet setters they aren't like you and me. He had his flings and I'm sure she had hers too".. Evelyn Lincoln Secretary to JFK.

by Anonymousreply 350March 12, 2023 2:17 AM

I'm surprised that Prince Rainier didn't check her out as a prospective consort before he settled with Grace Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 351March 12, 2023 2:23 AM

How could you "settle" with Grace Kelly??

by Anonymousreply 352March 12, 2023 2:26 AM

By marrying her and sharing a home and or homes with her R352. The way anyone settles with someone.

by Anonymousreply 353March 12, 2023 2:34 AM

Both Mary Pinchot Meyer and JFK were assassinated in broad daylight, one year apart.

by Anonymousreply 354March 12, 2023 4:41 AM

Listen to all you hairdressers and decorators analysing and dissecting my life 29 years after my death. No matter how much you want to, you'll never be me. Bye Bye.

by Anonymousreply 355March 12, 2023 7:19 AM

Mary Pinchot Meyer was almost ten years older than Jackie, and she was ugly.

by Anonymousreply 356March 12, 2023 7:20 AM

But she did anal!

by Anonymousreply 357March 12, 2023 7:21 AM

And she died in rather mysterious circumstances, mwahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 358March 12, 2023 7:22 AM

After Eleanor, Bess, and Mamie, the bar was already set low.

by Anonymousreply 359March 12, 2023 7:30 AM

Marlene Dietrich said she had a quickie with JFK in The White House. Are we to believe her? She would have been 61 at the time to his 45. He could have had any woman he wanted, why would he go for an old woman? Of course she told this story long after he was dead.

by Anonymousreply 360March 12, 2023 7:31 AM

[quote] Marlene Dietrich said she had a quickie with JFK in The White House.. He could have had any woman he wanted, why would he go for an old woman?

Bragging rights that he fucked Marlene Dietrich.

by Anonymousreply 361March 12, 2023 7:43 AM

I wouldn't be proud of fucking a 61 year old Marlene Dietrich...that's akin to fuckin Madonna now.

by Anonymousreply 362March 12, 2023 8:03 AM

Marlene Dietrich was still quite attractive when JFK was POTUS.

Here she is at the White House in 1963, posing with JFK’s “pimp”, Dave Powers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363March 12, 2023 11:23 AM

Beautiful?

Have you ever seen my wife Ethel's blown-out pussy?

Not to mention her nasal New Yawk voice screaming all the damn time.

Jackie was a fuckin' goddess next to that...

by Anonymousreply 364March 12, 2023 12:37 PM

i don't buy the Dietrich thing. She made it up

by Anonymousreply 365March 12, 2023 12:45 PM

r363 that's a ghoul! Attractive, we're gay men, what do we know. No 45 year old straight man with access to beautiful young women is going to tap that old thing.

by Anonymousreply 366March 12, 2023 12:47 PM

R366, She was one of the most famous women in the world . . . AND . . . she had slept with his father years before.

JFK would have gotten off on the fact that he fucked one of his father’s past conquests.

by Anonymousreply 367March 12, 2023 1:00 PM

R352 settled down. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 368March 12, 2023 1:23 PM

JFK fucked a lot of ugly chicks like those White House secretaries just because he had easy access to them. He wasn't discriminatory being a sex addict. He apparently was a lousy lover, so I can't see beautiful women with a healthy sex drive staying around him too long especially since he was married. Average chicks would relish that attention as long as they could.

by Anonymousreply 369March 12, 2023 1:48 PM

What woman wouldn’t want to brag to her grandchildren that she had once slept with a President?

by Anonymousreply 370March 12, 2023 3:11 PM

My dad said that ugly women were the best lays because they had to work at it.

by Anonymousreply 371March 12, 2023 3:16 PM

JFK last birthday was another Camelot bacchanal:

Jackie went ahead with plans for Jack’s 46th birthday cruise aboard the ‘Sequoia’. The invitation called for “yachting clothes”. It was a dismal, rainy evening, but the yacht embarked anyway with a full complement of guests,mistress Mary Meyer,gay "boyfriend" Lem Billings i,David and Hjördis Niven. With thunder and lightning crashing all around, drinks were served on the covered fantail, followed by a dinner of roast fillet of beef in the elegant, mahogany-paneled cabin. As the 1955 Dom Perignon flowed, toasts were delivered and the laughter grew louder.”“Although by now The Twist was decidedly passe, it remained Jack’s favourite piece of dance music. The three-piece Marine Band played the tune over and over until it was finally time for JFK to unwrap his presents.” Which he did with gusto. As the evening became more raucous, and with his $1,000 present from Jackie – a rare engraving, accidentally stomped on by a drunken guest Billings, John Kennedy moved on, to unwrapping his female guests.in the President’s sights was Hjördis Niven the beautiful blonde Swedish, actress wife of David. The glamours prey recalled 'Jack finally cornered me in a below decks stateroom. It was all ruffled feathers and over in minutes like birds," JFK did this in the presence of not only his mistress but his pregnant wife. The Love Boat returned to dock at 4am .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372March 12, 2023 4:55 PM

Hordjis Niven JFK's last birthday gift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373March 12, 2023 4:59 PM

R371 Picture of your mum please.

by Anonymousreply 374March 12, 2023 5:01 PM

R360 Marlene's daughter Mari Riva wrote one of the great celebrity's kid bios Dietrich. She wrote that Marlene was all excited to be heading to the White House to meet JFK as she knew him as a the son of Joe Kennedy when they were fucking. The Kennedys were nothing if not generous when passing around their women. It was understood a familia courtesy. Mari is sitting on the sofa when her Mama returns from the Oval Office suddenly a pair of pink panties is tossed in her lap and Marlene says triumphantly' Smell your President"

snap with Dave Powers Kennedy aide

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375March 12, 2023 5:14 PM

R372 Lower left: That's the cuk David Niven chatting up the "gay BF" heavy footed Lem Billings.

by Anonymousreply 376March 12, 2023 5:33 PM

Jackie would readily agree with most of these assessments. She could actually MAKE herself appear to be beautiful for a time. All in all? Home girl ain't hardly pressed about it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377March 12, 2023 9:23 PM

^ I actually really admire her for making the most out of her looks. A lot of uggos just resign themselves to it, but she worked her ass at becoming as stylish, well-groomed, beautifully-spoken, elegant and appealing as she possibly could. She managed to fool everyone into thinking she was actually gorgeous. That's pretty inspirational.

by Anonymousreply 378March 12, 2023 9:28 PM

In spite of all the spouting off by ones that never achieved half as much as these two Kennedy's 'Camelot' was a poetic image put forth of our country of those Kennedy years. There was that time it felt that way. It's easy to be negative and tear down, to criticize, but it's much harder to make things better.

Jackie spun a dream of our country like a Camelot. I'm sure she felt that way when we went through it. A sentimental look at those Kennedy years and how they did love our country and tried to do some good. Maybe a fantasy spun but one that aimed at a loftier view of the best country in the world, our own United States. Tearing it down a country that has protected the world for decades with the blood it's own men on the battlefield is for fools.

The years of the Kennedy's to me were sweet, a young family in our White House, the children playing on the lawn, the smiles and Jackie's beautiful presentation in fashions, her pretty little pill box hat, smiling and with hope for our nation reflected to me as a kid a dream of my life going forward in this free and beautiful country to enjoy liberties hard won by previous countrymen who gave their own lives for us to live. It does not matter to me their personal and private lives and faults. It is it was always about the greater vision, what 'Camelot' was about. Though it may seem corny, for me, I won't ever forget those sweet days and it does seem I cannot ever let it be forgotten, that for one brief, shining moment there was Camelot.

For that vision I will always thank her.

by Anonymousreply 379March 12, 2023 11:13 PM

R379 Yes .You had to have been there.

by Anonymousreply 380March 13, 2023 1:26 AM

Love her or hate her nearly three decades after her death we are still discussing JBKO. How many Pat Nixon threads do ya see?

by Anonymousreply 381March 13, 2023 1:27 AM

' Smell your President"

yuck

by Anonymousreply 382March 13, 2023 11:16 AM

[quote] a rare engraving, accidentally stomped on by a drunken guest Billings

I remember reading that it was Clem Norton, a friend of Teddy's, that put his foot through the piece.

Jackie's reaction, for guests, being, "It's okay, I can get it fixed."

by Anonymousreply 383March 13, 2023 1:06 PM

^ Wrong Clem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384March 13, 2023 1:40 PM

I once read that JBK had a will of iron coupled with crippling self doubt.

by Anonymousreply 385March 13, 2023 3:45 PM

Just an aside. It has been announced Biden's new Air Force One will continue the traditional livery chosen by Jacqueline Kennedy over 60 years ago. She selected it because cornflower blue was JFK's favorite color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386March 13, 2023 4:31 PM

Actually JFK's favorite color was cornhole blue.

by Anonymousreply 387March 13, 2023 4:32 PM

Speaking of, it happened one night is on TCM right now, and I’ve always thought Claudette Colbert was odd looking in a similar way to Jackie. Don’t get her at all.

by Anonymousreply 388March 18, 2023 1:14 AM

Also, a big part of Jackie’s appeal was the hair. Big and dominant. It makes a huge difference.

by Anonymousreply 389March 18, 2023 1:17 AM

R296, Dominick Dunne’s former wife ( and mom to Griffin and Dominique) attended “ Farmington “ around same period as Jackie

by Anonymousreply 390March 18, 2023 1:21 AM

R389, Jackie often wore wigs or falls as FLOTUS.

by Anonymousreply 391March 18, 2023 1:28 AM

Jackie had an freakishly oversized head with a gigantic Leonian mane of hair which made it seem even bigger.. My aunt saw her in Manhattan in the 80's and could not believe how bloody big her head was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392March 18, 2023 1:33 AM

☝🏼 too thin does cause lollipop 🍭 head

by Anonymousreply 393March 18, 2023 1:39 AM

R392, And don’t forget those size 10 clodhoppers.

by Anonymousreply 394March 18, 2023 7:28 AM

I saw Lee on Madison Avenue in the early 90s, she, too, was tiny with a big head and enormous poof of hair.

by Anonymousreply 395March 18, 2023 12:45 PM

Yeah r395, but you're just a fag

by Anonymousreply 396March 18, 2023 12:54 PM

- Lee

by Anonymousreply 397March 18, 2023 12:55 PM

R397 Shut up, PrinciPESSa!

by Anonymousreply 398March 18, 2023 1:03 PM

R395, Was I with her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399March 18, 2023 1:08 PM

R399 No, ‘twas I.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400March 18, 2023 1:16 PM

R388. I love IHON! Claudette was flawless in those satin gowns.

by Anonymousreply 401March 18, 2023 2:45 PM

Did she quite possibly have FAS? Can one have just a touch of that, I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 402March 18, 2023 3:15 PM

r402 her mother would have had to have been the drinker for her to have FOS, not her father

by Anonymousreply 403March 18, 2023 3:29 PM

R403 I fully understand that, but thank you nonetheless. The real question is how are we so very certain her mum wasn't thirsty in private? Many women in those days, from families like hers indulged in a few nips on the sly. She's wall-eyed for sure.

by Anonymousreply 404March 18, 2023 3:37 PM

She got her father’s wide spaced eyes. His were practically on the sides of his head as well…

by Anonymousreply 405March 18, 2023 6:13 PM

How did they see the same image?

by Anonymousreply 406March 18, 2023 6:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!