Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christopher Plummer

Born into the prominent Abbott family of Canada, he spend his childhood at a large country manor on the isle of Montreal, learned to speak French and English, was educated in the classics, and was taught old fashioned manners even for the 1920's and 1930's.

He worked with luminaries such as Edward Everett Horton and Ruth Chatterton as a stock player at the Montreal Repertory Theatre. From Montreal, he went to New York City and later London, where he gained notoriety in the classics- Twelfth Night, Madea, Oedipus Rex, The Cherry Orchard, Becket, and J.B., where he acted alongside Basil Rathbone.

Despite his lengthy stage career, he is mainly known for films: The Fall of the Roman Empire, The Sound of Music, The Man Who Would be King, Murder by Decree, Somewhere in Time, 12 Monkeys, The Insider, A Beautiful Mind, Nicholas Nickleby, Syriana, Inside Man, Beginners, All the Money in the World, and Knives Out.

A classic gentlemen of the old school sort of way, let's discuss the Canadian actor Christopher Plummer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 16, 2024 2:41 PM

He also loved classic literature, opera, classical music, world travel, golf, tennis, and art.

He was a man of many interests

by Anonymousreply 1February 24, 2023 10:14 PM

Christopher Plummer on Desert Island Discs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 24, 2023 10:14 PM

His book is hilarious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 24, 2023 10:15 PM

I love him as Mike Wallace in The Insider

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2023 10:15 PM

Very smart man. He was a bit of an asshole when he started out as a young actor and was scornful of getting cast as Captain von Trapp in "The Sound of Music," which he referred to as "the Sound of Mucus," and he compared the prospect of working with Julie Andrews to being clobbered with a valentine... but then when he discovered what a nice and hardworking colleague she was, he quickly came to adore her and was lifelong friends with her, and then when he saw how people were so moved by the film he expressed great pride in having worked on it (he realized how much the movie changed people's lives).

He was a superb actor, and gave incredible late-life performances in The Insider, Beginners, The Last Station, and All the Money in the World.

He remains at this writing the only Canadian to have won the so-called "Triple Crown of Acting" (Emmy, Oscar, and Tony).

by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2023 10:19 PM

Did he ever work with Eric Porter?

by Anonymousreply 6February 24, 2023 10:19 PM

OP, you have omitted your favourite word 'great'.

by Anonymousreply 7February 24, 2023 10:21 PM

R5 Very true! By the time of Sound, he did nothing but very serious classics and felt he was too good for it. Until he wasn't.

R6 yes. In the film The Fall of the Roman Empire with Porter, Stephen Boyd, Alec Guinness, James Mason, and Miss Sophia Loren

by Anonymousreply 8February 24, 2023 10:22 PM

Thank you, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9February 24, 2023 10:23 PM

R3 That memoir is full of stupidity, bad decisions, lusting after young girls and alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 10February 24, 2023 10:24 PM

Had a crush on him when I was younger

by Anonymousreply 11February 24, 2023 10:25 PM

My parents saw many, many, many Broadway shows over the decades. One of my mother's most me memorable evenings was attending Shakespeare's "Othello" with Plummer as Iago opposite James Earl Jones' Othello.

I do think he was a rather selfish young man, whose maturity arrived later in life. His marriage to Tammy Grimes and the second marriage were short-lived... I don't he much of a relationship with his only child, Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2023 10:27 PM

He should have won the Academy Award for playing Mike Wallace in The Insider.

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2023 10:27 PM

R12 YES! I heard that was the best production of Othello ever.

Dianne Wiest was Desdemona. Kelsey Grammer was Cassio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2023 10:29 PM

He didn't know how to say no.

He appeared in TWO HUNDRED and SIXTY films over his career.

15 good films and lots and lots of time-wasting bilge

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2023 10:39 PM

A captain with seven children. What's a fearsome about that?

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2023 10:45 PM

He’s a secret gay obviously.

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2023 10:47 PM

Amazing actor

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2023 10:48 PM

I have seen at least 50 actors play Hamlet on film and stage. His Hamlet is by far the best and most underrated and unknown of them all.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2023 10:53 PM

He’s a secret gay obviously.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2023 11:05 PM

R19 Are you talking about Hamlet at Elsinore from 1965 with this cutey?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2023 11:11 PM

He was married to the divine Tammy Grimes and they produced a weirdo--Amanda Plummer.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2023 11:16 PM

Tammy Grimes was rather camp, wasn't she? A younger Beatrice Lillie.

Her career was disastrous after he left her.

Plummer didn't know whether he wanted a theatrical wife or not. So he was obliged to pickup mistresses.

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2023 11:34 PM

He was a member of Katherine Cornell’s repertory company and was admonished for missing rehearsals. He wrote in his memoir that he wondered if it would be a good time to ask for an advance on his salary.

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2023 11:34 PM

R19........Yup

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2023 11:35 PM

He was ALMOST very good-looking.

But NOT quite good enough!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 24, 2023 11:40 PM

Hot Daddy. When he spanks Louisa or Brigeeta or whoever the the fuck it was. Ugh, such authority.

by Anonymousreply 27February 24, 2023 11:44 PM

[quote] he spanks Louisa and Brigeeta

Sadist!

One of them fought back which is why he has that scar on his chin.

by Anonymousreply 28February 24, 2023 11:48 PM

I had a fierce crush on him when I first saw The Sound of Music at age 9, despite our thousand year age difference.

by Anonymousreply 29February 24, 2023 11:54 PM

He had the world at his feet in 1965. He starred in the biggest money-maker of all times.

But an astute observer would have noticed there was something odd just a year later. He appeared in a tiny cameo in an absurd melodrama called 'The Night of the Generals'. It starred the ranting Irishman O'Toole playing a psychopath and that amateur non-actor Sharif playing a dark-haired marshmallow. They were surrounded by a slew of proper Englishmen pretending to be Chermans.

Why did Plummer bother to appear in this two minute cameo? Was he wanting to get away from nutty Tammy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 24, 2023 11:56 PM

Gee. No one knows ANYTHING about Plummer and without this Bio Troll pasting Wikipedia we would never have heard of him.

In another vein, Julie Andrews used to refer to him in writing as "Christopher Plumber." I can't give my source.

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2023 12:10 AM

I actually had no idea he was Canadian - I always assumed he was European. He has that way about him.

by Anonymousreply 32February 25, 2023 12:16 AM

He dumped me for a nun. A fucking NUN!.

by Anonymousreply 33February 25, 2023 12:20 AM

You forgot dykey nun.

by Anonymousreply 34February 25, 2023 12:32 AM

I used to get him confused with Max Von Sydow. Why?

by Anonymousreply 35February 25, 2023 2:18 AM

Both tall and stolid.

Plumber more grandiose and conventionally handsome.

Von Sydow was willing to play character parts; Plummer insisted on star parts.

by Anonymousreply 36February 25, 2023 2:31 AM

I'm always amused at the OP's cutting-and-pasting of second-hand material from ancient sources.

[quote] He worked with luminaries such as Edward Everett Horton and Ruth Chatterton

Only the elderest of eldergays would describe Ruth Chatterton as a luminary.

by Anonymousreply 37February 25, 2023 2:55 AM

[quote]I actually had no idea he was Canadian - I always assumed he was European. He has that way about him.

Well, same difference. Especially given that he was from one of the first families of Montréal--his grandfather was the granddaughter of Sir John Abbott, one of the first prime ministers of Canada, who lived in one of the great Victorian mansions on Sherbrooke Street (see photo).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 25, 2023 3:02 AM

This is Boisbrisant, the great manor house on Montreal's Senneville Island where Christopher Plummer would spend time with his grandparents when he was growing up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 25, 2023 3:04 AM

*Sorry: "Boisbriant," nor "Boisbrisant"

by Anonymousreply 40February 25, 2023 3:05 AM

He said that every man wanted Eleanor Parker in 1965 until Julie Andrews came along.

by Anonymousreply 41February 25, 2023 3:23 AM

I liked him in Knives Out

by Anonymousreply 42February 25, 2023 3:28 AM

More deets on the old fashioned manners, please. What does that mean - Victorian? How so?

by Anonymousreply 43February 25, 2023 3:28 AM

R43 Yes. He was raised by his grandfather, the son of Sir John Abbott. Abbott was Canada's third Prime Minister.

by Anonymousreply 44February 25, 2023 3:32 AM

But what do those manners entail, r44?

by Anonymousreply 45February 25, 2023 3:40 AM

R45 Victorian and Edwardian manners, such as standing up when a lady enters the room or standing up to shake someone's hand.

Plummer is one of those types that seem to be from a different era all together. They have this intimate knowledge of events and people that occurred long before they were born.

Christopher Lee also comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 46February 25, 2023 3:47 AM

He said his perfect Saturday night was spending it in a great book with a scotch next to the fire while opera/classical music is playing in the background.

by Anonymousreply 47February 25, 2023 3:48 AM

Victorian and Edwardian manners, such as standing up when a lady enters the room and not bringing your whore to the dinner table.

by Anonymousreply 48February 25, 2023 3:51 AM

R45 does that explain it?

by Anonymousreply 49February 25, 2023 4:11 AM

[quote] his grandfather was the granddaughter of Sir John Abbott

Come again, R38?

by Anonymousreply 50February 25, 2023 5:07 AM

Yeah, r48 - decent people were doing that through at least the 60s, so he must be talking about something else. I want to know what exactly was so notable and anachronistic etiquette-wise that he was doing in the 30s, which was still very regimented as far as calling cards and “At Home” days for fraus.

No offense, but you don’t sound like you know.

by Anonymousreply 51February 25, 2023 7:50 AM

[quote] He said his perfect Saturday night was spending it in a great book with a scotch next to the fire while opera/classical music is playing in the background.

Plummer wa a liar.

Look at his smutty memoirs which are full of lusting after young girls and alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 52February 25, 2023 7:53 AM

R51 Well damn, look up Victorian and Edwardian manners for men yourself if you are so concerned about it.

by Anonymousreply 53February 25, 2023 1:39 PM

He liked Sarah Vaughan

by Anonymousreply 54February 25, 2023 5:31 PM

Poor actor and part-time Jew.

I'm a thousand times better at both.

by Anonymousreply 55February 25, 2023 11:04 PM

Here's a great souvenir of Plummer -- recorded for an O'Neill documentary, and not (to my knowledge) a role that he ever played onstage (great though he would have been in it):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 25, 2023 11:10 PM

Chris wonderful. A little on the hammy side at 2:07 and a little beyond, but he got back into it in the Booth section and rest of the scene.....But then Larry....ah, Larry. Too bad we only have the DVD version of his great Tyrone, cause to see him on stage, as I did in the at role over 50 times, was an acting lesson never to be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 57February 25, 2023 11:39 PM

One of the last actors with the Mid-Atlantic accent

by Anonymousreply 58February 26, 2023 5:17 AM

I knew he was Canadian, but I always took him to be one of those pretentious actors who prefers the theatuh and eventually settles down in Europe somewhere.

When he died recently, I wasn't surprised to learn that his wife was English but it shocked me that they had resided in Connecticut for the past 50 years.

Granted, CT is the richest state per capita income, but someone who used to talk shit about THE SOUND OF MUSIC didn't strike me as one who would live in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 59February 26, 2023 6:01 AM

Truly a beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 60February 26, 2023 2:27 PM

He says he likes Sadness (and I think he may be already a little drunk)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2023 3:20 PM

Daughter Amanda has always seemed odd and...damaged, especially as she's gotten older.

Super talented, but something's off there. She's won all sorts of acting awards long ago: Tony, Emmy, Golden Globe, but doesn't have the big, steady career.

Though she's had recent episodic gigs, she hasn't worked enough regularly acting in projects that pay well to live any kind of life, and one has to wonder if Dad worked so much to at least partly keep up both his daughter and his ex-wife, who really only did theatre and was totally nuts and alive and not working for a long time until she died.

There's a lifestyle to be maintained, and it's not like Tammy Grimes could've been a Walmart Greeter.

by Anonymousreply 62February 26, 2023 3:54 PM

He was incandescently hot in the era of TSOM. But his stumbles down the path of skirt chasing and alcoholism seem basic at best.

by Anonymousreply 63February 26, 2023 3:56 PM

Doppelgänger to Henry Wilcoxon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 26, 2023 4:19 PM

He was a Trekkie who had his Saturn award nominated role as a Shakespeare spouting ship captain tailor made for that franchises sixth film.

by Anonymousreply 65February 26, 2023 4:49 PM

He was a brilliant villain in the classic Chris Lemmon thriller LaserHead.

by Anonymousreply 66February 26, 2023 4:51 PM

Well, this is sad. I didn’t even know he was dead and I had thought I was keeping up.

He was a good actor and easy on the eyes. I’ll miss him, now that I realize I should have been missing him for the last two years.

by Anonymousreply 67February 26, 2023 4:54 PM

The Sound of Music is one of the first movies I remember seeing (yes, I'm an Elder Gay...) and I don't think I knew it at the time, but I had a MAJOR crush on Christopher Plummer. He was SO hot in SOM.

by Anonymousreply 68February 26, 2023 6:05 PM

The folk dancing scene in TSOM is just pure sex and seduction. I hope Kurt paid attention because Daddy-Geog knew what he was doing and what he wanted to do later with Maria! Even the Baroness knew and it made her wet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 26, 2023 10:49 PM

Funny interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 27, 2023 6:22 PM

Here is his acceptance speech

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 27, 2023 6:24 PM

[quote] Victorian and Edwardian manners, such as standing up when a lady enters the room and not bringing your whore to the dinner table.

Then where do you dump her when it's time for dinner?

by Anonymousreply 72February 27, 2023 6:27 PM

His first feature film has disappeared. It's never shown on my TV.

The fascinating Joan Greenwood has the second female lead (one of her only two American film) but I guess the film overall was sunk by the first female lead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 27, 2023 8:08 PM

R73 why was it bad?

by Anonymousreply 74February 27, 2023 10:41 PM

^ Unfortunately the film was built around Susan Strasberg as the ingenue who was "stage struck".

Everyone tells me that Susan Strasberg was terrible— especially as the film was remake of one of Katharine Hepburns' 1930s hits.

It was directed by Sidney Lumet and I would have thought that Christopher Plummer, Joan Greenwood and Herbert Marshall could have kept this remake from sinking like a forgotten stone.

by Anonymousreply 75February 27, 2023 10:46 PM

R75 Susan Strasberg? That is a name who didn't get out of the 1960's

by Anonymousreply 76February 28, 2023 1:40 PM

Was he also a prominent HOMOSEXUAL?

by Anonymousreply 77February 28, 2023 2:12 PM

He was a brilliant actor, but he had a streak of cruelty in him a mile wide.

by Anonymousreply 78February 28, 2023 2:17 PM

Here comes a major Mary moment. SOM is probably my favorite film of all time. I absolutely love it. And when I heard he died, I spontaneously burst into tears. I absolutely loved him in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 79February 28, 2023 3:20 PM

R79- He was kinda dreamy in that movie ESPECIALLY when he was singing Edelweiss

by Anonymousreply 80February 28, 2023 4:33 PM

R77 No, be he was so classy that he could have been.

by Anonymousreply 81February 28, 2023 9:06 PM

[quote]15 good films and lots and lots of time-wasting bilge

I love some of that bilge. He's the best thing about Dragnet.

by Anonymousreply 82March 1, 2023 5:46 AM

Check out The Silent Partner (1978). He plays a menacing bank robber. Entertaining movie for the clothes and office furniture alone.

by Anonymousreply 83March 1, 2023 5:49 AM

I honestly don't think he's gay. He's just not the Teddy Roosevelt version of masculinity, and Americans have trouble with that as much as they have trouble with race.

by Anonymousreply 84March 1, 2023 5:52 AM

Canadian Dainty.

by Anonymousreply 85March 1, 2023 5:56 AM

For years and years, I thought Plummer was a Brit. Then a few years ago, I read that he was born in Muhntreeahl. Eh?

by Anonymousreply 86March 1, 2023 5:57 AM

His serial killer-esque interpretation of The Captain is very odd. He looks like he could go Bryan Kohberger on the family at any minute.

by Anonymousreply 87March 1, 2023 6:07 AM

R86, he's Canadian Dainty.

by Anonymousreply 88March 1, 2023 7:53 AM

In her book Home Work Julie Andrews writes that during the filming of SOM he spent nearly every night in the hotel bar into the wee hours. It was a concern.

by Anonymousreply 89March 1, 2023 8:55 AM

Plummer was a drinking buddy with Peter O'Toole. Yet Plummer aged so much better than them.

by Anonymousreply 90March 1, 2023 1:39 PM

R23: Tammy wasn't camp as Bea was, although they appeared together on Broadway in High Spirits in 63-64. Tammy flew as Elvira and Bea was Madame Arcati. After divorcing Plummer, Tammy had many successes on Broadway. She was too eccentric a talent to succeed in the movies and on TV. However, in Can't Stop the Music she's a camp caricature of herself. Used to know a woman who went to Stephens Junior College with Tammy and she said she sounded like that way back then! Move over Glynis Johns and Betsy von Furstenberg.

by Anonymousreply 91March 3, 2023 12:18 AM

He was hammy

by Anonymousreply 92March 4, 2023 4:22 PM

because I may never get my own thread....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 4, 2023 5:24 PM

He did The Night of the Generals for a Rolls Royce

by Anonymousreply 94March 4, 2023 7:45 PM

But I say, R93, what about me? I deserve my own thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 4, 2023 9:04 PM

He appeared in so much trash but one of his most delightful was heard rather than seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 10, 2023 6:15 PM

R96 Yes! I love his Henry V too!

by Anonymousreply 97March 12, 2023 11:18 PM

That Othello with him and James Earl Jones was hardly "the best ever." Jones basically played the title role from the neck up, Plummer wound up stealing the show, and Wiest was out of her depth. Grammer was quite good, but Cassio is hardly a difficult role.

by Anonymousreply 98March 12, 2023 11:28 PM

R98 I have never heard that before. I know Iago usually steals the show.

Did you see the production?

by Anonymousreply 99March 14, 2023 10:58 PM

James Earl Jones is immensely fat. Of course he "basically played the title role from the neck up".

He played the bulk of the night sitting down in a comfy Venetian Chair.

by Anonymousreply 100March 14, 2023 11:07 PM

James Earl Jones was not fat in 1982

by Anonymousreply 101March 14, 2023 11:14 PM

Didn’t great great grand father, one of Canada's early prime ministers spearhead atrocities against indigenous people ?

by Anonymousreply 102March 14, 2023 11:18 PM

[quote] spearhead

Yes, dear. Spears

by Anonymousreply 103March 14, 2023 11:20 PM

[quote] transitive verb. : to serve as leader or leading element of.

by Anonymousreply 104March 14, 2023 11:23 PM

[quote] transitive verbs

Plummer drinks the wine during the dinner. Plummer drinks the brandy after the dinner.

by Anonymousreply 105March 14, 2023 11:51 PM

R105 Please, he was a scotch man.

by Anonymousreply 106March 15, 2023 12:02 AM

I saw him in a production of My Fair Lady - wonderful man

by Anonymousreply 107March 15, 2023 12:09 AM

R107 who did he play?

by Anonymousreply 108March 15, 2023 12:17 AM

A friend of mine, now deceased, was heavily cruised by an inebriated Christopher Plummer in a Greenwich Village bar back in the late 1950s.

My friend was tempted, but was involved in a serious relationship at the time, so he did not accept Plummer’s invitation to return to his apartment, a decision my friend regretted for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 109March 15, 2023 12:22 AM

R83 Isn't his character kind of trans - he wore a lot of make-up. I supposed in todays terns the character could be described as sexually fluid or something.

by Anonymousreply 110March 15, 2023 12:25 AM

R108 Plummer played the old sot Alfred Doolittle. He didn't need much make-up.

by Anonymousreply 111March 15, 2023 12:31 AM

Nope, he didn’t

by Anonymousreply 112March 15, 2023 1:23 AM

R109 I don't believe that for a minute

by Anonymousreply 113March 15, 2023 5:12 PM

R113, Of course you don’t, this is DL.

by Anonymousreply 114March 15, 2023 5:40 PM

R15, IMDB states he appeared in 216 films/TV. What's your source?

by Anonymousreply 115March 15, 2023 7:19 PM

He didn't know how to say no.

11 movies in 12 months in 1991.

The memoir says all those dollars went to his liquor merchant

by Anonymousreply 116March 15, 2023 9:36 PM

He was a big wine drinker

by Anonymousreply 117March 16, 2023 12:25 AM

Drunk and gay, what could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 118March 16, 2023 12:26 AM

Plummer was a plonker.

by Anonymousreply 119March 16, 2023 12:32 AM

A what?

by Anonymousreply 120March 16, 2023 12:54 AM

A plonker is "A foolish, inept, or contemptible person."

by Anonymousreply 121March 16, 2023 12:58 AM

R121 I think Plummer was more self aware

by Anonymousreply 122March 16, 2023 12:59 AM

It was Canada and he was Canadian and his family were Canadian.

It wasn't a "manor house." It was a "big house."

Christ.

by Anonymousreply 123March 16, 2023 1:07 AM

Jesus Christus!

by Anonymousreply 124March 16, 2023 2:37 AM

Plummer was one of the most talented actors ever. He also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout his life. Despite that, he had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with his struggles and he theirs.

by Anonymousreply 125March 16, 2023 2:43 AM

He has the face of a Nazi

by Anonymousreply 126March 16, 2023 2:55 AM

[quote] he had a good heart

His good heart lasted 90 years but his liver died many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 127March 16, 2023 3:10 AM

Anybody see his DICK?

by Anonymousreply 128March 16, 2023 3:34 AM

Tammy Grimes did.

by Anonymousreply 129March 16, 2023 3:37 AM

He played an excellent Commodus.

Madness and Sexiness combined

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 16, 2023 3:42 AM

R126, oh, really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 16, 2023 12:20 PM

Anybody know what his relationship with his daughter Amanda was like?

by Anonymousreply 132March 16, 2023 12:43 PM

R99, yes I did see that OTHELLO production.

by Anonymousreply 133March 17, 2023 11:04 PM

One of the sexiest men ever to live.

by Anonymousreply 134March 17, 2023 11:06 PM

Very smooth and ready

by Anonymousreply 135March 18, 2023 2:14 AM

Did he shave his hole?

by Anonymousreply 136March 18, 2023 2:23 AM

All the better to Plummer him

by Anonymousreply 137March 18, 2023 10:34 AM

He loved scotch

by Anonymousreply 138March 18, 2023 11:28 PM

HIs daughter is the very crazy, very unattractive actress Amanda Plummer. By all accounts she's crazy as a bedbug. And I don't thing she's ever played any role where she wasn't crazy or mentally challenged.

by Anonymousreply 139March 18, 2023 11:33 PM

I also highly recommend his memoir. It's dense but a terrific read...really captures that bygone era in New York (but also London and the early days of the Canadian Stratford Festival). Watching Plummer onstage was magical. His 'Barrymore' was worthy of every accolade it received.

by Anonymousreply 140March 18, 2023 11:48 PM

R140 He is also very witty

by Anonymousreply 141March 18, 2023 11:50 PM

Yes, his Barrymore play and performance was much better than the one done by Nicol Williamson the previous year.

by Anonymousreply 142March 21, 2023 6:42 PM

Is there a way to watch his Barrymore?

by Anonymousreply 143March 21, 2023 7:00 PM

I need to see more

by Anonymousreply 144March 22, 2023 2:24 AM

He did a tv presentation of "After the Fall" with Faye Dunaway. I'd really like to see that.

by Anonymousreply 145March 22, 2023 2:44 AM

Wow, what a team!

by Anonymousreply 146March 22, 2023 1:41 PM

R139 Amanda has her father's face much more than her mother's.

by Anonymousreply 147March 27, 2023 2:37 AM

He was also great in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo opposite Daniel Craig

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 6, 2023 6:00 PM

What was his relationship with his daughter, Amanda like? She’s disturbed right

by Anonymousreply 149May 6, 2023 6:05 PM

Best fucking Hamlet ever. See it on YouTube

by Anonymousreply 150May 6, 2023 6:05 PM

R51 Here is a blog describing table manners in the Gilded Age

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151May 29, 2023 7:37 PM

[quote]He was a bit of an asshole when he started out as a young actor and was scornful of getting cast as Captain von Trapp in "The Sound of Music," which he referred to as "the Sound of Mucus,"

The irony is that, presumably because he looked down on the role and the script, I think his performance is all the worse for it. His delivery of some of the dialogue is VERY affected and actorish, whereas if he had trusted the material more, his performance would have been far more natural. As it is, he has some very strong scenes and moments but there's also a lot of pretentious overacting, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 152May 29, 2023 7:50 PM

As a lad, I loved him in murder by decree with his deadly scarf.

by Anonymousreply 153May 29, 2023 7:56 PM

R152 I think his aloofness and stiffness were perfect for the Captain

by Anonymousreply 154May 29, 2023 10:22 PM

R154, it's not aloofness and stiffness, it's overacting and very affected, unnatural delivery of some of the dialogue, which is not the same thing. Some of his lines have such an affected delivery that the character almost comes across as gay, which really doesn't fit in very well with the plot.

by Anonymousreply 155May 30, 2023 3:33 AM

R155 I disagree with you

by Anonymousreply 156May 30, 2023 1:01 PM

I too got him confused with Max Von Sydow and now I'm disappointed that he wasn't in Needful Things with his daughter

by Anonymousreply 157May 30, 2023 1:05 PM

Apparently, R155. But I'm very surprised you can watch that performance and not feel that some of it is very affected and overacted.

by Anonymousreply 158May 30, 2023 2:52 PM

[quote]Madea

I loved his work with Tyler Perry!

by Anonymousreply 159May 30, 2023 2:54 PM

I always wondered 🤔 about him

by Anonymousreply 160May 30, 2023 3:01 PM

I watched Dracula 2000, man he will do anything

by Anonymousreply 161October 2, 2023 9:32 PM

He has a lot of fun!

by Anonymousreply 162October 7, 2023 11:33 PM

The house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 7, 2023 11:48 PM

He was a true beauty when he was young. He was also great in a weird little movie called "Remember" when he was old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 8, 2023 12:09 AM

The Charlie Rose Interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 16, 2024 2:13 AM

R10- He lusted after young BOYS as well.

by Anonymousreply 166January 16, 2024 2:15 AM

I saw that Othello. I thought it was lousy except for Plummer who gave one of the greatest performances I've seen. He was great in Barrymore as well. It had to have been filmed.

One of the great regrets of my theatergoing was not seeing Cyrano.

I don't find him at all affected or hammy in SOM.

He seems incredibly charming and funny but I bet deep down there's a mean streak like Olivier.

I saw Amanda in A Taste of Honey off Broadway. She was wonderful. Had her parents' talent but not their looks. She was probably ignored by both of them pursuing their careers and it fucked her up good.

I would bet my bottom dollar he was bi.

by Anonymousreply 167January 16, 2024 2:57 AM

He IS Christopher Plummer!

by Anonymousreply 168January 16, 2024 3:18 AM

Amazing talent. Loved him.

by Anonymousreply 169January 16, 2024 4:02 AM

Must Love Dogs

by Anonymousreply 170January 16, 2024 2:28 PM

I saw Amanda in "Agnes of God" on Broadway in '82 and she was haunting and mesmerizing. I agree that she didn't inherit her father's good looks, but, oddly enough, she looks very much like him. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 171January 16, 2024 2:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!