Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL tell me about South Carolina

I mean the state has produced 4 horrible current-day politicians

Nikki Haley

Tim Scott

Lindsey Graham

Nancy Mace who loves to say the right things on mainstream media only to say the opposite on right wing media and vote with the party on almost everything

What the fuck is up with this state? Yes Florida and Texas are horrible but South Carolina is like a sleeper repub shithole

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2023 1:33 PM

Let's talk about New York, shall we? Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2023 5:59 PM

Jaime Harrison is the only decent national politician to come out of SC in a while

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2023 10:38 PM

I would include Jim Clyburn but he's not new. He's been here for a while and is the only non-repub member of Congress from SC currently

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote] Nancy Mace who loves to say the right things on mainstream media only to say the opposite on right wing media and vote with the party on almost everything

Nancy is a cunt! She called herself a "pro-LGBT" Republican on ABC This Week but she will sit silently and let her Republican colleagues criminalize homosexuality.

B*tch, we haven't forgot that you vandalized your own house just so you could blame it on"antifa."

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2023 5:01 PM

In South Carolina all seems to breathe freedom and peace...Fuck it. I can't do this with a straight face about such a hell hole.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2023 5:04 PM

you can buy and shoot off fireworks 365 days a year. And that concludes my list of positive things about SC

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2023 5:07 PM

Magats steal elections.

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2023 5:09 PM

This is how they celebrate diversity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2023 6:14 PM

This describes every Southern state.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2023 6:21 PM

SC was the first state to secede from the Union.

Why won't they please, please, please and give it another go? No guts?

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2023 6:23 PM

South Carolina has nothing on New York... and just NYC, not mentioning the whole state.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2023 8:54 PM

Charleston is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2023 8:57 PM

Very few college graduates. Actually, very few h.s. graduates. And that usually means the undeveloped minds of the mom, apple pie, guns, Jesus, flag, eagle, Donald Trump, anti-everything-type.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2023 9:05 PM

They refuse to move beyond the Sixties — the 1860s that is. They started the damn Civil War and they have no intention of conceding defeat now or really ever.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2023 9:06 PM

Their politicians are too diverse.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2023 9:07 PM

On pd live the cops are dicks if you have a joint in the car .

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2023 9:07 PM

What's "pd live", precious? What's "pd live"?

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2023 9:08 PM

The fact that this deep-red shithole plays such a prominent role in determining the Democratic Presidential candidate due to its early Primary is a real corruption of democracy.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2023 9:10 PM

You realize black voters are a crucial part of the Dem electorate r19. It makes sense to have an early contest where primary candidates have to campaign in the black community.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2023 9:19 PM

[quote]It makes sense to have an early contest where primary candidates have to campaign in the black community.

Detroit has a huge black community. Why not have an early contest in Michigan, an important swing state? Or Georgia?

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2023 9:23 PM

Pa Murdaugh for President

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2023 9:27 PM

Then there is Trey Gowdy.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2023 9:37 PM

Charming accents.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2023 9:38 PM

There are NO homosexuals in South Carolina! None at all!

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2023 9:45 PM

Really bad roads. Those infrastructure appropriations are going into the hands of corrupt politicians and land developers.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2023 10:16 PM

It's also just a poor state r25. It lands in the bottom 10 states for income per capita.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2023 10:26 PM

OP, the Civil War started in South Carolina. It has always been a deeply fucked up place.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2023 10:31 PM

I rarely set foot in SC anymore. If there is a major ribbon cutting ceremony whereby I get much attention and bestowed credit, I don’t go. My leisure time is spent in Mar-a-Lago or my marmalade muffin may be.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2023 11:04 AM

It’s like the very poor man’s England. There’s an aristocracy of sorts and the lifestyle is very dogs-and-horses.

But they love their big pieces of land and blue and pink clothes.

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2023 11:43 AM

Doesn’t get much better than Charleston

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2023 3:02 PM

More and more Northerners and Californians are moving into Charleston and the surrounding coastal areas. They are paying big money for houses and the locals are being priced out. They just don't have the same kind of money down there. It's old money but not BIG money. Charleston feels VERY different than it did 20 years ago when the old Families still owned the houses on the Battery and South of Broad. Now it's some douche from Connecticut wanting to enjoy milder weather and Palmetto trees. Meanwhile the rest of South Carolina is filled with dirt stick dumb ass rednecks. You'll find the occasional local monied family like the Murdaughs in the smaller towns but they are not a bright gentry.

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2023 3:34 PM

Those newcomers to Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Georgetown, and other coastal areas are not predominantly eastern establishment liberals. They are right-wing MAGAs from the northeast and midwest. Same in Florida. There has been a huge influx of African-Americans to the south from Detroit, Philadelphia, NJ, Cleveland, NY, etc., the last 30+ years.

by Anonymousreply 32April 27, 2023 1:02 PM

I went to a resort in Myrtle Beach and the crowd was completely integrated. I have never been at a resort up north with so many black people. Everyone got along well and were respectful to each other. I went to a local fish fry and there were lots of yokels. But also two lesbians with Tshirts staying there were queer and proud. Again everyone was friendly and respectful. South Carolina is a mixed bag and not as backward as Northerners think.

by Anonymousreply 33April 27, 2023 1:09 PM

Born and raised in Charleston. It is completely different than the rest of SC and proud of it. As someone mentioned previously, a sort-of aristocratic hierarchy still exists, newcomers are greeted warmly but never fully integrated into old society. Manners, friendliness and polished appearance are benchmarks of residents.

by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2023 2:41 PM

In Charleston, all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 35April 27, 2023 3:03 PM

"sleeper repub shithole?"

It's not a sleeper by any means.

by Anonymousreply 36April 27, 2023 3:15 PM

Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah (GA), St. Augustine (FL), and Cape Hatteras (NC) are loaded with tourists, including international travelers. The Great Smokey Mountains region attracts an incredible amounts of tourists as well.

Savannah and Tybee Island are a favorite of mine.

by Anonymousreply 37April 27, 2023 5:43 PM

Where’s Tybee?

by Anonymousreply 38April 27, 2023 6:52 PM

Right off the coast of Georgia near Savannah - really part of the same area as Savannah. South of Hilton Head, SC.

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2023 7:33 PM

Thank you, R39.

by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2023 8:33 PM

Ironic indeed that one of the most backward, reactionary states in the country has two “life-long bachelors” representing them in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 41May 9, 2023 1:41 AM

I think they film that Outer Banks show there. That show with a bunch of dumb kids running around shirtless while being chased.

by Anonymousreply 42May 9, 2023 1:49 AM

It's not as reactionary conservative as you would think - it's more libertarian. I never saw the same amount of Trump feverency in SC as I did in the Midwest, for example.

Doesn't matter with the younger generation anyway. They're still religious, but they don't give a shit about anybody's sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 43May 9, 2023 4:40 AM

McMaster receives backlash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2023 7:58 AM

Nancy Mace is going full-on conspiracy theories now

she's of course propagating the lie that the Durham report "proves" there was "no collusion between Trump and Russia"

and at the same time calling for the FBI to investigate/indict Joe and Hunter Biden.

yet the mainstream media keeps treating her like she's "a moderate" and "reasonable"

no, this piece of shit KNOWS she's lying but thinks it's politically convenient so she does it

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2023 8:28 AM

It's not so bad! As Mis Lindsey says, any black person can travel freely within the state as long as they vow to vote for racists!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2023 9:56 AM

South Carolina has always been a hotbed of violence and racism. It goes back to before the Civil War (they were the first to secede, and the first shots were fired there).

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2023 11:19 AM

My dad and his wife live in a small town in SC. My brother and I used to joke that the people who lived there all looked like “X Files” extras.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2023 11:29 AM

We give you Miss Lindsey. What greater contribution could we make for America?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2023 1:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!