Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Doctor Who maestro Russell T Davies laments woke writers obsessed with diversity

The mastermind behind the renaissance of Doctor Who has criticised โ€˜๐’“๐’–๐’ƒ๐’ƒ๐’Š๐’”๐’‰โ€™ ๐’•๐’†๐’๐’†๐’—๐’Š๐’”๐’Š๐’๐’ ๐’”๐’„๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’˜๐’“๐’Š๐’•๐’†๐’“๐’” ๐’๐’ƒ๐’”๐’†๐’”๐’”๐’†๐’… ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰ ๐’…๐’Š๐’—๐’†๐’“๐’”๐’Š๐’•๐’š.

Russell T Davies, the chief writer and producer of the showโ€™s 2005 reboot, said many scriptwriters today did not love TV and were more interested in representation.

I do a lot of mentoring, and there are voices wanting to be heard โ€“ of any gender or ethnicity โ€“ who consider themselves invisible,โ€™ he said. โ€˜They hate the media that ignores them, and theyโ€™re trapped into wanting a job in that medium purely to increase representation.โ€™

He told The Sunday Times: โ€˜I read their scripts and theyโ€™re rubbish. They donโ€™t actually love television, so they donโ€™t know how to write for it.โ€™

Mr Davies has returned to oversee Doctor Who in its 60th anniversary year after the most recent run suffered a poor reception from fans and critics.

It faced criticisms under Chris Chibnall for being too โ€˜politicalโ€™ and โ€˜wokeโ€™. He quit the show after the latest Christmas special, the final episode with Jodie Whittaker as the first female doctor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 3, 2023 9:22 PM

From the man who brought us Captain Jack, Torchwood and Queer as Folk I can't imagine what he thinks is too "woke".

The scripts must really suck.

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2023 11:03 PM

I can tell what he's getting at and I agree. Davies has always put underrepresented minority characters in his narratives, he just does it in a way where it's part of the storyline and not meant to be THE storyline. Too many just slap a character as black/gay/trans and call it a day. It becomes about meeting a quota instead of creating a good character and story.

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2023 11:06 PM

This a THOUSAND times. I miss the days when the woke would have been laughed out of the room. They destroy everything.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2023 11:38 PM

It does seem to have gone overboard.

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2023 11:55 PM

[quote] The mastermind

What a joke.

This tedious, fat gimmick-chaser only got where he was today by riding the Woke Gravy Train.

by Anonymousreply 5February 3, 2023 6:59 AM

Russell T Black Pot

by Anonymousreply 6February 3, 2023 9:03 AM

[quote]It does seem to have gone overboard.

As is the case with every liberal social cause. it goes from 0 to 100% overnight.

by Anonymousreply 7February 3, 2023 1:55 PM

Headline: Trashman complains about the smell of garbage.

by Anonymousreply 8February 3, 2023 2:14 PM

Has Russell T Davies turned Non-Binary yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 3, 2023 8:26 PM

Heโ€™s probably talking about that disastrous โ€œrebootโ€ of Queer As Folk las year.

by Anonymousreply 10February 3, 2023 8:49 PM

He is as fat as Stephen Fry.

by Anonymousreply 11February 3, 2023 8:51 PM

He is as unlikeable as Stephen Fry.

by Anonymousreply 12February 3, 2023 8:56 PM

I find it distracting whe then the cast has to look like a Benetton ad. Don't hire someone because They are a differently-abled trans Eurasian queer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 3, 2023 8:59 PM

The Critical Drinker talks about it in this video: "updated for modern audience"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 3, 2023 9:02 PM

[quote] Doctor Who maestro Russell T Davies laments woke writers obsessed with diversity

Old Vulcan proverb. Only Nixon can go to China.

by Anonymousreply 15February 3, 2023 9:14 PM

Ha. What is he blabbing about., he has a black trans character in his return to Doctor Who, playing the daughter of Donna Noble. Named Rose. I would love it if the tranny daughter, having powers from being born from the Doctor/Donna, regenerated into the new black gay Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 16February 3, 2023 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!