Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do the deaf always have a chip on their shoulders?

Further proof the deaf are just assholes using their disability as an excuse...

[quote]Jonathan Majors’s new bodybuilder drama sparks walkouts at Sundance Film Festival

Juror Marlee Matlin was not provided with proper captioning

Jonathan Majors’s new film Magazine Dreams has sparked a walkout from jurors at the Sundance Film Festival after proper captioning was not provided.

The anticipated new film, which stars Majors as an amateur bodybuilder called Killian Maddox, has already been gaining critical buzz.

However, during the premiere on Friday (January 20), jurors Jeremy O. Harris, Eliza Hittman and Marlee Matlin made the collective decision after a failure to provide adequate captioning for deaf and hearing impaired audience members, according to Variety.

The screening provided a captioning device for Matlin, who is deaf, though it reportedly didn’t work, leading to the walkout, while the jury has repeatedly expressed concerns during the festival over the use of open captioning.

However, Variety reports that a number of filmmakers have refused requests over captions on screen, claiming costs and the time needed to make another print, while it is being reported that some buyers have suggested that captions on screen could hurt a film’s asking prices for distribution.

It is being reported that for the Magazine Dreams screening, filmmakers refused to provide captions and instead gave Matlin alternative technology, which didn’t work. The premiere was delayed by 45 minutes, though while sources suggested it was due to a technical issue, it is unclear whether it was specifically related to captioning. The device is reported to have been repaired hours later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 26, 2023 4:49 PM

He is the definition of Bull

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2023 10:08 AM

Stupid post. Would you sit there and listen to a film for 2 hours in a foreign language you didn't understand, with no captions available? No, you wouldn't, whether you pretend here you would or not. So there's really no difference.

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2023 11:04 AM

Well, she missed out on this, her loss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2023 11:48 AM

Is it really a "walkout" when your captioning device doesn't work and you can't watch the movie? No, it's leaving the theater because it'd be a waste of your time to sit there.

What a misleading headline and a stupid non-story.

by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2023 12:16 PM

OP- There was an episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent about the murder of a doctor by some deaf 🧏‍♂️ person- the deaf people in the episode were so FUCKIN stuck up.

by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2023 12:23 PM

It's literal violence!

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2023 12:39 PM

OP is a big troll- real big and full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2023 1:08 PM

^Hi Marlee!

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2023 1:10 PM

She claims to be an expert lip reader so what's the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2023 1:11 PM

Someone should speak to them.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2023 1:16 PM

R7 types like a Deafee.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2023 1:18 PM

If you invite film festival jurors to sit and watch your dipshit independent movie, and one of them is the most famous deaf person alive today, and you give her some janky little box that doesn't work, can you really blame her for walking out early?

The movie was almost certainly a stinker anyway, and Marlee has other shit she'd rather be doing.

As to the studios and distributors bitching about the "cost" of adding closed captioning to a film - FUCK THAT NOISE. It's a digital process nowadays, and the technology is there to easily make this work without running a second print of actual film. These assholes can spend $10 million "de-aging" Harrison Ford's face and blurring out the nipples on Superman's suit, but they balk at adding closed captioning? What a bunch of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2023 1:24 PM

[quote] These assholes can spend $10 million "de-aging" Harrison Ford's face and blurring out the nipples on Superman's suit, but they balk at adding closed captioning? What a bunch of assholes.

Setting aside the fact that it was perfectly reasonable for a deaf person to walkout when there was no working method for captioning, this statement is ridiculous.

You do realize that there is an enormous difference between the blockbuster budgets and box office for de-aged Ford and Superman nipples than a small movie like this and the majority of other movies.

Of course you can spend the money to de-age Ford when you expect the movie to hit $700mm - that janky Crystal Skull last outing made almost $800mm worldwide and that was 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2023 2:02 PM

OP is a troll. Stop falling for their;bullshit. They're destroying DL.

by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2023 2:09 PM

[quote]He is the definition of Bull

Shannon?

Durham??

Dagger???

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2023 6:12 PM

Give it a rest, Marlee/R14!

by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2023 6:15 PM

AH SEY AHM OUTAH HEEW!!!

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2023 6:16 PM

R15 I thought they meant it in the "Black Stud Who Fucks My Wife/Husband While I Watch" sense.

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2023 6:22 PM

Have you never seen a movie before, r9? There's narration and dialogue that is delivered off screen that would be completely missed.

by Anonymousreply 19January 25, 2023 7:30 PM

The deaf and hard of hearing are very sensitive. I work in the policy world and they frequently complain and get things wrong. I always try and be empathetic and patient because they easily get offended and then spread misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2023 7:42 PM

"Disabled people are weird and stupid!"

by Anonymousreply 21January 25, 2023 7:52 PM

R20 Poor you. Can you imagine what life is like without hearing? Maybe you’re not as patient as you think and that’s why they get offended?

I feel like many, many posters here need to walk a mile, as it were.

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2023 7:56 PM

The average DLer has the emotional intelligence of a 2 month-old and the empathy of a concentration camp guard.

by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote] Have you never seen a movie before, [R9]?

Have you seen THIS movie, R19?

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2023 9:10 PM

I demand that all of Charlie Chaplin's films be provided with proper captioning.

by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2023 9:22 PM

[quote] Can you imagine what life is like without hearing?

Can you imagine what life is like without seeing? That would be worse.

by Anonymousreply 26January 25, 2023 9:25 PM

[quote] The average DLer has the emotional intelligence of a 2 month-old

Emotional intelligence isn't as important as intelligence intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 27January 25, 2023 9:28 PM

[quote] Jonathan Majors new bodybuilder drama

Is the movie full of fast-paced, sophisticated dialogue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 25, 2023 9:35 PM

Hey OP I’m mumbling the word “cunt” at you - there again it could be anything.

by Anonymousreply 29January 25, 2023 9:39 PM

A friend from college ended up marrying a guy with a deaf sister. Her sis-in-law was always a pain in the ass but she mostly kept it contained to within the family. After she married a deaf guy all of a sudden it was non-fucking-stop. It ended up with the two of them bitching and complaining about every little thing inside and outside of the family. It ended up with the family limiting their contact to Thanksgiving and Christmas only.

Maybe it was just this couple or the family dynamics or whatever but it was awful and there was no appeasing them or dealing with them.

by Anonymousreply 30January 25, 2023 9:40 PM

Why? Is it because they want everyone to live in their world, like all those gender fucking pronoun generating gender fluids, and either live in zir world or fuck you, ATTITUDE?

They are constantly at war, poor zings.

by Anonymousreply 31January 25, 2023 9:50 PM

I'm not responsible for their deafness, their parents are.

by Anonymousreply 32January 25, 2023 9:53 PM

umm. youtube will automatically caption speech on your uploaded vids.

just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 33January 25, 2023 10:06 PM

Agreed, R2 and R4.

[quote]Members of the dramatic jury — consisting of Jeremy O. Harris, Eliza Hittman and Matlin — decided to collectively walk out of the film as it began after a caption device provided to Matlin didn’t work. While the device was repaired hours later, it underscored a larger issue that has played out behind the scenes regarding the festival’s ability to make movies accessible to all viewers. The festival said the jurors intend to screen the film as a group before Sundance ends.

[quote]According to multiple sources, the jury has repeatedly expressed concerns to both Sundance and filmmakers that movies playing at this year’s festival should come with open captions. [bold]At other international festivals, including Cannes and Venice, movies are captioned in multiple languages on the screen. This year’s application for credentials to Sundance asked attendees if they needed access to captioning.[/bold]

[quote]However, multiple sources state that [bold]several filmmakers have declined the request to provide open captions onscreen, citing the costs and time associated with making another print.[/bold] Sources say that [bold]some buyers even suggested that including captions onscreen could somehow hurt the film’s asking prices on the market as they try to land distribution.[/bold]

Sometimes I turn on closed captions when an actor speaks too softly, too fast, or when they are not enunciating. Why is it that explosions, gunfire, tires screeching, etc. and even commercial breaks are always so loud but the volume level for dialogue is often at a minimum?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2023 11:49 PM

For about 3 months I was having severe hearing loss from undiagnosed allergies. People sucked. They were often rude, sometimes cruel. I became a recluse. I understand why the deaf might have a chip on their shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2023 11:52 PM

Deaf men have a higher incidence of male homosexuality.

That has been my experience, at least.

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2023 11:55 PM

[quote] the festival’s ability to make movies accessible to all viewers.

The festival needs to be blamed for not making movies accessible to blind people.

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2023 12:07 AM

R35 But how was your problem resolved?

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2023 12:11 AM

(I've been meaning to watch this movie) but this one is about a deaf boarding school and only uses Ukranian sign language. I don't believe there are captions but I'm high so I could be very wrong. I like the concept of the hearing audience having to figure things out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2023 12:17 AM

I want to see "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" using sign language.

by Anonymousreply 40January 26, 2023 12:20 AM

R36, I've always suspected that there was a connection between gayness and deafness. At every gay event there seems to be a group of deaf people, but I've never seen research supporting this.

by Anonymousreply 41January 26, 2023 12:57 AM

R41

My husband used to work in a bar that got a lot of convention crowds. The deaf lesbians were notorious for being rude, fighting, not tipping etc. Soooooo, not that different from the hearing?

by Anonymousreply 42January 26, 2023 1:10 AM

You dont need no captions to see that big black dick

by Anonymousreply 43January 26, 2023 1:15 AM

[quote] You dont need no captions to see that big black dick

Current movies are all about grunting and thumping, no intellectual chit-chat.

by Anonymousreply 44January 26, 2023 1:18 AM

How would you do captions in a movie theater?

At home, I can turn captions on or off. But in a large audience in a theater?

Also how could you display captions in different languages?

Wouldn't that mean that the whole audience would see multiple lines of captions in different languages?

Trying to understand exactly how this would work in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 45January 26, 2023 1:49 AM

Jeremy could made an effort and whispered the dialogue in Marleee's ear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 26, 2023 1:51 AM

^ (hanging columella)

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2023 1:54 AM

Deaf guys are great in bed but I made the mistake of having a deaf fellow meet me in my hotel room. He made so much noise that the hotel sent someone to make sure everything was okay.

I assured him everything was fine. And then I gagged the guy. He loved it (for weird reasons, I think).

It's a different world.

by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2023 1:58 AM

It's probably something like this, R45, it sits in the user's cup holder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2023 2:07 AM

Found a video demonstration ^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote]Have you never seen a movie before, [R9]?

Have you never seen Seinfeld, you fucking moron?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2023 2:21 AM

R9, 😆 🤣 😂

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2023 8:08 AM

Oh, OP. What an asshole you are (and also that website you linked to)

This was "the walkout":

[quote[The screening device used to provide closed captions did not work at one of our Friday evening premieres. [bold]The jury left so that they could see it together at another time during the Festival.[/bold] Our team immediately worked with the devices in that venue to test them again for the next screening and the device worked without any malfunction.

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2023 10:35 AM

R42, I think you're missing the point. R36 and I are speculating that there is a genetic connection between gayness and the likelihood of being deaf (or having severe hearing problems).

There's nothing worse than a bunch of drunk women, no matter their sexual orientation and hearing ability. They'll inevitably start screaming, cause a ruckus and become loud and obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2023 11:35 AM

They are chronic complainers. They just don’t listen.

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2023 4:17 PM

Fuckin' DEAFS!!!!!

I made a harmless little joke about deaf people on a radio show in Rochester, New York. The next thing I know, there's five protesters outside my next show. Think about this for a second. Deaf people got upset about something I said...on the radio. Who the fuck TOLD THEM???

by Anonymousreply 56January 26, 2023 4:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!