Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

LSU student Madison Brooks case: Four people charged in alleged rape before she died after being hit by car

Four males were arrested in connection with the rape of LSU student Madison Brooks, which preceded her dying after being hit by a car, according to deputies.

The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office said Brooks was raped before she was hit and killed by a car on Jan. 15.

Kaivon Deondre Washington, 18, and a 17-year-old unidentified minor were charged with third-degree rape. Everett Lee, 28, and Casen Carver, 18, were charged with principal to third-degree rape, which means they were present but did not participate in the alleged crime.

According to investigators, Carver admitted that he and the other males went to Reggie’s Bar near the LSU campus and drank alcohol. He said Brooks left the bar with them and was "very unstable on her feet, was not able to keep her balance, and was unable to speak clearly without slurring her words," the arrest document states, according to FOX 8.

Carver allegedly told investigators that the 17-year-old and Brooks were "hugging and walking together."

He said Brooks asked for a ride home with them, according to the warrant. He said Washington and the 17-year-old asked Brooks to have sex with them and that she agreed.

Carver told investigators he believed that Brooks was too drunk to understand that she was consenting to sex and he "hated it," the warrant reads. He said they later dropped Brooks off in a neighborhood near the scene where she was hit and killed by a car on Burbank Drive.

Brooks was standing in the dark on Jan. 15 at around 3 a.m. when she was struck by a vehicle. She was later pronounced dead at a hospital.

The driver of the vehicle that hit her showed no signs of being impaired, according to deputies.

However, the attorney representing two of the people charged for the alleged incident claims a video shows no rape occurred.

"She willfully got into the car, said that her rides had left her, and she got in," attorney Ron Haley told FOX 8. "Absolutely not a rape. Listen, this is a tragedy, definitely not a crime."

Investigators said Brooks had a blood-alcohol level of .319g percent, nearly four times the legal limit. However, Haley said she was not too intoxicated to where she could not give consent.

"Can you tell that she was intoxicated? Yes. To the point under the law that you say you’re in a drunken stupor, to the point that you cannot lawfully give consent or answer questions? Absolutely that was not the case," Haley said.

The attorney claims Brooks and the driver were involved in an argument after they drove to several places.

"Based on a disagreement, she got out of the vehicle. She indicated she was getting an Uber," Haley said. "I want the public to know, these young men or really the driver of the vehicle and the young men that were in there did not put her off on the side of the road."

According to arrest documents, the driver believed the girl was too drunk to consent.

Haley believes the video evidence from inside the car will prove his clients are innocent and that bars selling alcohol to underage drinkers are to blame for the incident. Haley intends to hand over the video to investigators and the district attorney’s office.

Brooks was a sophomore at LSU, where she was a member of the Alpha Phi sorority.

"We are grieving the sudden and tragic loss of our sister, Madison Brooks, following the accident that took her life," the sorority wrote on Instagram. "Madison was a sophomore and made a lasting impact on all of us. She was also a hero and was able to donate her heart and kidneys to save others. We send our deepest sympathies to her family and friends during this incredibly difficult time. We respectfully ask for time and space so we may support each other in our healing process."

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2023 1:42 AM

LSU President William F. Tate IV said the university's "collective grief and outrage cannot be put into mere words."

"Madison was a daughter, a granddaughter, a sister, a niece, a classmate, and a friend to many of you," he wrote in a statement. "By all accounts, she was an amazing young woman with limitless potential. She should not have been taken from us in this way. What happened to her was evil, and our legal system will parcel out justice."

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 10:43 PM

But was it rape-rape?

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 10:45 PM

If there are any straight guys here, please pay attention to this part: GETTING INTO A CAR IS NOT A CONSENT TO SEX.

And FYI, neither is coming to someone else's hotel room or home.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 11:27 PM

Dead ringer for Kaylee Goncalves

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 11:29 PM

Roofies.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 11:50 PM

So if this defense lawyer (who claims a BAL of over 3.0 is not too drunk to consent... 🤔, But I digress) has a recording from the entire ride showing they were innocent, how is this even being pursued? Why would the prosecutor pursue charges if there was nothing shady going on? Maybe I misread, but it seems like even the damn driver admits she was too drunk to consent to sex.

Guess I'm wait to hear more, but doesn't sound too good. Sounds like she was raped and tossed out after she began fighting them. There's not many girls that would be comfortable screwing 2 strange dudes in the back seat of a moving car, with 2 other dudes up front watching. I knew a lot of party girls back in the day, that were pretty free spirited with their sexuality, especially when drinking, yet that's a boundary most don't cross.

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2023 12:07 AM

Just an anecdote too, but most of my lady friends in college weren't into younger guys, even if only a few years seems petty later on in life. A majority were into older guys, and definitely weren't hiking up with HS teens when they got to college. Doesn't mean much, but I'm just saying.

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2023 12:10 AM

The bar is somewhat responsible. Aren’t you supposed to stop serving people who are blind drunk.,

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2023 12:11 AM

Fry those thugs

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poor girl. I have my doubts this will have much coverage in the mainstream news, due to certain reasons.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2023 12:15 AM

r9 would bring back lynching, if he could

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2023 12:16 AM

Here are the offenders...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2023 12:18 AM

I checked out some of her SM pics on the Fail.

She looked like a 30 year old who had lived a hard and fast life. Something tells me this girl has been in situations like this many times before, and it all started at HOME.

Fucked up assumption?

Why yes.

But I’ve seen a few things in my life, & I know an abused little girl in a woman’s body when I see one.

Sad situation, all the way around.

Oh, and fuck these rapists.

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2023 1:54 AM

"So if this defense lawyer (who claims a BAL of over 3.0 is not too drunk to consent... 🤔, But I digress) has a recording from the entire ride showing they were innocent"

How would a recording of the ride prove their innocence? The alleged rape took place elsewhere!

Seriously, even if she was in the car, drunkenly babbling that they were all hot and she'd like to screw them all, that doesn't clear them, as people have the right to withdraw consent at any point. So if they got to a private place, and they got rough or clumsy, and she began yelling for them to stop, they could still be guilty of rape. Same if she was just too damn hammered to have a grip on the situation.

If there's any record of cries for help or yells to stop, or if she had visible bruising or injuries, things don't look good for those guys.

by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2023 2:10 AM

It’s pathetic that these guys were all taking turns on the same girl, & she was so inebriated, she probably had no idea who they were or where she was.

How is an experience like that even fun or arousing?

It’s fucking pathetic.

Just a group of assholes not confident enough to get real consent from individual women who have their wits about them.

And when all is said and done, they will repeat this story in prison over and over again to other incarcerated rapists who just like them, will all claim that they all are innocent and “the bitch said YASS”!

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2023 4:16 AM

R12 this is my shocked face

by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2023 4:23 AM

OP left out one important factor, that the postmortem showed evidence that she had been anally raped.

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2023 7:13 AM

R8 Their liquor license has been suspended pending a hearing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2023 7:24 AM

This is really interesting.

These rape charges are based on theory.

Carver claims she was raped because she was too drunk to give consent.

She did not claim she was raped, there was no indication she said no or refused, and she’s dead.

And the other guys are charged with third degree because they were in the car, there was no gang bang.

Charging them gives the legal basis that drunk people cannot consent to sex. Or that drunk women cannot consent to sex and everyone who has sex with a drunk woman is a rapist.

by Anonymousreply 19January 25, 2023 8:08 AM

R17 Ooh ok yeah I only read OP’s post, not an actual article with a link.

That’s different.

Anal rape is the most obvious sign of rape.

by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2023 8:10 AM

R4 = moron

by Anonymousreply 21January 25, 2023 9:20 AM

R17 = another moron

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2023 9:22 AM

R22, It’s in the police report/court records that the young woman endured anal rape.

What’s your problem, asshole?

by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2023 10:29 AM

R23 Don't worry about him. If you glance at his history, you'll see that he's an alcoholic sociopath with mommy issues in desperate search of attention. On the Naomi Judd thread, he was trashing his own mother. It's best to just put him on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2023 10:57 AM

R23 It's Joy Reid and she's had a few too many drinks.

by Anonymousreply 25January 25, 2023 10:58 AM

[quote]Prosecutors will seek upgraded first-degree rape charges against men arrested after an alleged sexual encounter with an LSU student before her death hours later. Stuart Theriot, a felony prosecutor for the East Baton Rouge District Attorney’s Office, revealed that information in bond hearings for the three men Tuesday, Jan. 24. He also added he plans to convene a grand jury in the case.

[...]

[quote]19th Judicial District Judge Brad Myers says prior to setting bond, he viewed video filmed by one of the suspects. He noted the video showed the suspects “callously” laughing as the young student slurred her words inside of the car, but does not show the assault. Myers says he also reviewed video from Reggie’s bar near LSU which showed the student stumbling, falling over, and needing help standing prior to the sexual encounter.

[quote]Defense lawyers hoped the videos would prove that the sexual encounter was consensual. Instead, Myers said the video combined by statements investigators say they obtained from Carver about the student’s behavior at the time was enough to convince him that a crime had occurred.

[quote]“The evidence to me is clear,” said Myers.

[quote]A hearing for the fourth suspect, a juvenile charged with first-degree rape, was pushed back to February. Theriot did not say how soon prosecutors plan to move forward with their request against the three suspects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 25, 2023 11:20 PM

[quote]Attorneys for the suspects argue that their clients did not rape Brooks but rather had consensual sex. According to Louisiana law, third-degree rape usually involves a victim who is “incapable of resisting or of understanding the nature of the act by reason of a stupor or abnormal condition of mind produced by an intoxicating agent or any cause and the offender knew or should have known of the victim’s incapacity.”

[…]

[quote[When Brooks asked for a ride home from Reggie’s Bar, Carver, who told investigators that he or the group did not know Brooks before that night, said the college student was “very unstable on her feet,” unable “to keep her balance” and “unable to speak clearly without slurring her words.” Washington also told authorities that Brooks was inebriated, saying, “She was drunk.” Deputies later said they were told Brooks asked for a ride home because she was too drunk and could not find her friends.

[quote]Not long after the group left the bar, the car pulled over. Washington and the teenager raped Brooks, while Carver and Lee looked on in the vehicle, according to authorities. When asked by police whether he believed Brooks was too drunk to consent to sex, Carver said, “I guess,” records show. Carver later told authorities that Brooks “gave verbal consent,” and claimed to police that Brooks consented after Washington asked multiple times for sex in the back seat. Washington denied having sex with Brooks, according to charging documents.

[quote]Carver, who was in the front seat with Lee at the time, eventually told the group, “We got to stop this, let’s go,” records show. The group dropped off Brooks in a subdivision and drove off, Carver said, according to investigators.

[quote]It was around 3 a.m., almost an hour after she had been dropped off, when Brooks was struck by a ride-share vehicle, authorities say. She was pronounced dead at a hospital. The ride-share driver, who called emergency personnel, was not charged, authorities said.

[quote]An autopsy report found that Brooks had a blood alcohol level of 0.319, which is nearly four times the legal limit for drivers. The autopsy, which found she tested positive for THC, also noted that Brooks had “injuries consistent with previous sexual assault.”

[...]

[quote]Following Brooks’s death, the Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control announced that Reggie’s Bar was given an emergency suspension.

[quote]“This action immediately suspends the service or sale of alcoholic beverages at this location,” the agency said in a statement, according to WDSU in New Orleans. [bold]The agency said it is working with law enforcement to investigate the case and other recent incidents at the bar[/bold], and will hold an emergency session next month to determine whether Reggie’s should face any penalties. A message left at Reggie’s was not immediately returned.

[...]

[quote]The news of Brooks’s death has rocked the LSU community, which has suffered other tragedy in recent years. In 2017, LSU student Max Gruver, 18, died of alcohol poisoning after he was forced to drink as part of fraternity hazing. In 2019, Matthew Naquin, then a 21-year-old former LSU student, was convicted of negligent homicide for his role in Gruver’s death. In September, Allison Rice, a 21-year-old senior, was fatally shot in her car in what authorities believe was a random attack.

People suck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 25, 2023 11:29 PM

Does any "Madison" make it out of college alive?

by Anonymousreply 28January 25, 2023 11:41 PM

Sheesh! This poor young lady had AWFUL luck.

Also, this Reggie’s Bar looks like a chop shop from the outside. Total dump.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2023 1:04 AM

I’m picturing her leaving the place of rape and darting out into the street like Nomi Malone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2023 1:12 AM

If one of guys who didn't rape that poor girl testifies against the others, the case will be a slam dunk, but I doubt that will happen.

Autocorrect tried to turn that into "scam dunk", BTW.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2023 1:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!