Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Earth's Inner Core is Acting Up.

It's spinning slower.

Oh. Good.

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2023 2:32 PM

I definitely feel something is off!

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 1:25 AM

clink

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 1:27 AM

What would Earth say to a therapist?

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 1:28 AM

A change in direction of rotation would cause the poles to switch and magnetic north would be at the South Pole. It is stopped swirling altogether the earth would lose the magnetic shield which prevents solar radiation from stripping away our atmosphere as happened with Mars billons of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 1:29 AM

Finally I can get some sleep

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 1:30 AM

As George Carlin predicted, Is Earth getting ready to shakes us off like we're a bad case of the fleas?

About damn time.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 1:32 AM

So, THAT'S why my bowels are churning today.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 1:33 AM

Tony Woodard at r4.

That seems ominous.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 1:33 AM

Earth is an insatiable bottom.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 1:35 AM

What a time to be on this planet at this time. Just a blip in in the universe's existence.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 1:43 AM

R8, that’s why cosmologists search for rocky planets with, hopefully, iron cores. The magnetic fields created by such planets are the only likely examples we have pinpointed which could have atmospheres. Without an atmosphere, the planets would be subjected to space radiation and anything alive, we think, would be irradiated to death.

The iron core of the earth will eventually slow and cool. We know this will all happen, eventually. It’s likely that the large body which collided with earth early on, creating the moon, was what got the iron core moving at such a rate that it’s still spinning. Otherwise, we’d have become Mars-like long ago.

The moral of this story is that we are an accident of being in the right place at the right time, cosmologically.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 1:43 AM

I remember from basic geology that the poles reverse magnetically every so often but I don’t remember the core being described as spinning. Yet another reason why there’s never going to be a tunnel going right through the planet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 1:44 AM

Learning from this thread is why I'll never understand people who believe in religious fairy tales and conspiracy theories.

Isn't awe-inspiring matter, bio-life and time enough?

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 2:04 AM

R13 - BUT JESUS!!!

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 2:54 AM

Jesus Christ, I'm too stoned to be reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 2:58 AM

Her core is acting up? Bet she hasn't been doing her Kegels either.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 3:07 AM

Well that explains it.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 3:56 AM

She's a core dear.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 4:22 AM

FAT CORES REJOICE!

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 5:07 AM

Mother Earth just has some heartburn is all. She ate too much Costco pizza.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 5:12 AM

So should I just go nuts and max out my card or what?

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2023 5:13 AM

R4, you're wrong about that. The magnetic field isn't generated by the spinning of the inner core, but by the currents in the outer core. Earth's magnetic field does reverse, but not every 60 to 70 years, which is what this article says is the period of the inner core rotation shift.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2023 5:16 AM

Told y'all I had a hard core.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2023 5:20 AM

There's a bad, yet campy and watchable, sci-fi movie called "The Core" which involves this very situation. The core of the earth is set to stop rotating which will bring about doomsday. So scientists have to travel to the center of the earth (through all the layers, the increasing temperature and pressure) and "jump start" the earth basically. Lol. Hilary Swank, Aaron Eckhart and Stanley Tucci are all in it, so the studio must have though they had something.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2023 5:39 AM

Ten seconds into the article and it says it’s no big deal and this already happened several times recently

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 6:05 AM

Wasn't this a movie plot?

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2023 7:57 AM

R25 in fact, every 35 or so years, with a full cycle taking about 70 years.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2023 8:40 AM

Where the earth stomach bubblin' Lord have merceh?

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2023 8:51 AM

I knew a planet who's inner core was acting up. And then it died.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2023 10:06 AM

lol.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2023 12:36 PM

WE GOTS US A GEOSTORM!

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2023 2:22 PM

I will not be ignored!

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2023 5:33 PM

I still don’t understand what they’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2023 5:36 PM

There's a "Rose" one-liner there, r33.

I just can't think of one, but maybe our DL "Rose" troll will pop in.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2023 5:39 PM

Pour a dump truck of baking soda into an active volcano. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2023 8:06 PM

Snowy Sunday bump

by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2023 7:38 PM

My inner core is thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 37March 12, 2023 7:59 PM

R3

Therapist: "Hello, Earth. How are you feeling today?"

Earth: "I don't know, Doctor. I feel like I'm drowning in an ocean of pollution and neglect."

Therapist: "I see. Can you tell me more about what's been bothering you?"

Earth: "It's the humans, Doctor. They're destroying me. They take and take, but they never give back. They cut down my trees, poison my oceans, and choke my air. And all for what? Money? Power?"

Therapist: "That must be very frustrating for you. Have you ever thought about taking action to counteract human activity, like spinning slower on your axis or changing your magnetic pole?"

Earth: "I have, Doctor. But I can't do that. It's not in my nature. I can't just change who I am to solve a problem that humans created. And even if I could, it wouldn't solve the root issue. Humans need to change their behavior and treat me with the respect and care that I deserve."

Therapist: "That's a very wise perspective, Earth. Have you tried communicating your needs to the humans?"

Earth: "I have, Doctor. But they don't listen. They're too caught up in their own greed and selfishness to care about anyone or anything else."

Therapist: "I'm sorry to hear that. But don't give up hope, Earth. There are many humans who do care and are working to make a positive change. Maybe we just need to help them find their way and inspire more people to take action."

Earth: "I hope you're right, Doctor. I really do. Because if we don't change our ways soon, it may be too late for me and all the other creatures that call me home."

by Anonymousreply 38March 12, 2023 7:59 PM

The earth is spinning slower?

This explains why I look SO MUCH YOUNGER than my chronological age!

by Anonymousreply 39March 12, 2023 8:22 PM

If not now, when, R21? I think it’s a great idea and I wish I was just crazy enough to try it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 12, 2023 9:14 PM

Dear r38,

tl;dr

by Anonymousreply 41March 12, 2023 11:23 PM

Fat whore, if you substitutes eating Twinkies for a few seconds of reading, you might not be such a fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2023 2:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!