Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you an Anti-natalist?

Do you think people should stop having kids?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 8, 2023 1:05 PM

yes

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2023 10:10 PM

Yes

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2023 10:11 PM

Yeah. I'm one of those. I actually love kids though, I just think the world is in a weird place right now and I rather see quality of life be addressed over quantity. Imagine living 100 years, but they could slow physical aging down, so 100 was more like 50. Imagine half the people, where labor was valued higher and pollution was cut in half. I'm very envious of the population numbers from 100 years ago.

I grew up with a bigger sized family, as did others I know, and it's not always good for the kids. You get limited attention and the older kids are forced to care for the younger ones. Kids I knew from small families, of 1 or 2, seemed to be more confident, had more support, and mentally more fit if they came from a decent home. The parents were able to give them the right amount of attention.

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2023 10:31 PM

The people who really need to stop having kids never pay attention to that shit.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2023 12:06 AM

Bump for the purity of rejection of conception and birth.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2023 5:53 AM

For the most part, yes. But the opposite phenomenon -- when a nation has a negative birth-rate and the population is elderly-heavy -- presents with its own problems as well. See Japan, Italy.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2023 5:58 AM

No, what a stupid movement.

R3 There will be children who will change things in the future.

I remember watching “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They”, which was released in 1969 and was about the 1930s and I remember Jane Fonda telling the pregnant woman “why bring a child into this horrible world”.

People have been saying this forever.

It’s just negative nonsense to me.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2023 6:07 AM

We don’t have enough children as it is. We need more. This is the reason why so many Western countries keep importing immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2023 6:15 AM

I recently became acquainted with that term. If people don’t want children they shouldn’t have them. Certain countries cannot support an ever expanding population. I think that the main problem is that low I.Q. dysfunctional people are reproducing like rabbits. The rest of us ending up having to fund their basic living expenses, special education & assorted services, substance abuse treatment, mental health services, the justice system etc.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 7:32 AM

^ “..end up.” It’s late.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2023 7:32 AM

I say let's have mandatory sterilization for low IQ people. Smart and attractive people can reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 8:01 AM

A higher standard of living automatically increases the IQ of children. People have estimated that the average IQ of industrial workers in England in Victorian times was in the upper 70s to the low 80s, not 100 as it is now. Why? Desperate poverty, lack of economic security, poor food, inadequate sleep, lack of education, lack of resources. The people from third world countries are just as capable of having intelligent children as their counterparts in developed nations, if given good conditions and good educations. Marilyn vos Savant was asked this question once and her response was that people shouldn't attempt to breed for higher intelligence - that there are so many genetic components involved that it would never work. Instead, give good conditions for mental development and people will end up more intelligent. It's that simple.

I think that people should aim for one child/per couple until the human population is reduced to a level that is sustainable on our planet. As it is now, the population is expected to peak at about 9-10 billion in the next 25 years and then rapidly decline. But will it get down to the 1 billion or so that the planet could reasonably sustain? I'm not sure. And religions will fight this decline tooth and nail. (As will the real estate industry and all industries that rely upon constant population increase for profits). I live in a city of 500,000. It would be rather weird to think of it as a city of 50,000, and 9 out of 10 houses empty, but that's what it would/could/should be all over the planet.

I read that during the great medieval plague of 1348-1350, over half the population of Europe died. But this created greatly increased wealth and great opportunities for those who survived. Workers could and did demand higher wages and in many cases simply moved into vacant houses that they could never have built on their own.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2023 8:50 AM

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet

Attenborough shows us the science behind the various environmental catastrophes we are facing and their consequences. If things dont change immediately by the year 2080 the planet will be uninhabitable for most humans. Its grossly irresponsible to bring a child into this world at this time. At the least, at our current global population, our standards of living will have to seriously decline.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2023 10:28 AM

Gawd no. It’s either have more kids or import more immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 10:46 AM

[quote] I say let's have mandatory sterilization for low IQ people. Smart and attractive people can reproduce.

So have you been sterilized yet?

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2023 10:51 AM

R15 they were being ironic

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2023 10:59 AM

R14 Right on!

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2023 11:05 AM

Thats what the Nazis did in the mid 30s before advancing to their T4 program to euthanize genetically inferior people,

"At the beginning of the twentieth century, the sterilisation of people carrying what were considered to be hereditary defects and in some cases those exhibiting what was thought to be hereditary "antisocial" behaviour, was a respectable field of medicine. Canada, Denmark, Switzerland and the US had passed laws enabling coerced sterilisation. Studies conducted in the 1920s ranked Germany as a country that was unusually reluctant to introduce sterilisation legislation.[19] In his book Mein Kampf (1924), Hitler wrote that one day racial hygiene "will appear as a deed greater than the most victorious wars of our present bourgeois era".[20][21]

In July 1933, the "Law for the Prevention of Hereditarily Diseased Offspring" prescribed compulsory sterilisation for people with conditions thought to be hereditary, such as schizophrenia, epilepsy, Huntington's chorea and "imbecility". Sterilisation was also legalised for chronic alcoholism and other forms of social deviance. The law was administered by the Interior Ministry under Wilhelm Frick through special Hereditary Health Courts (Erbgesundheitsgerichte), which examined the inmates of nursing homes, asylums, prisons, aged-care homes and special schools, to select those to be sterilised.[22] It is estimated that 360,000 people were sterilised under this law between 1933 and 1939.[23] "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2023 11:06 AM

I'm pro Natalist. I love having children.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2023 11:39 AM

Of course. I think having children should involve more than getting pregnant, and that pregnancy should involve more a more genuinely existential level of thought than planning the theme of a gender-reveal party.

From my experience, it's mostly younger parents and bored middle-aged parents who whine about the despoliation of the earth, the plastic islands of soda straws swallowing up beautiful turtles, the hole in the ozone layer, the impact of animal-based diets, heated discussions of how thoroughly to rinse and sort one's recylcables, etc., etc. Besides leading a reasonable conscionable life, the family tree ends with me: not reproducing is my too rare gift to the world. Don't ask me to cry your same crocidle tears for the choked turtles when you're popping out children thinking that's your gift to the world.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2023 12:49 PM

Yes. Untrained children are the number one problem in the world.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2023 12:53 PM

No one was ever harmed by not being born.

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2023 2:10 PM

It’s not like we’re suffering from a people shortage on this planet

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2023 2:13 PM

Absolutely. The fewer humans, the better the world for everything else.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2023 2:15 PM

Yep. I am. Not every person is born to be a parent.

As a matter of fact, here in the United States, MOST people aren’t parental material.

It’s sad but true.

I’ve observed SOOO many shitty parents, here in the United States.

Interestingly enough, as a younger person, and even as a child, I traveled with my father to poorer countries than the United States, & even really poor people elsewhere, seem to be MUCH better parents than most Americans. And let’s not get into parenting in wealthier countries, because most of them blow Americans away regarding parenting.

Some Americans are amazing parents. My hardcore crush, is a single dad. From all that I’ve observed, he’s an AMAZING, American dad. Single dad, too. Just a wonderful father, so not every American tends to be a shitty parent.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2023 2:34 PM

No, I wouldn’t say I am, OP. Though some are nicer than others. For instance, I don’t like outies as much as innies. But, if you get one with a nice treasure trail, that’s beautiful regardless.

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2023 2:35 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2023 2:37 PM

Yes. Scream this louder for the people in the third world.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2023 3:42 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2023 3:46 PM

Nope r8. They are importing them to keep wages down. For 40 years now. They are neither wanted nor needed.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2023 3:47 PM

Its crazy to see this post, as ive been researching Why do people have children. The top 10 reasons have nothing to do with the child but all to do with selfish people. As someone said above, no one was ever harmed by not being born. Life is hard. Many people are trapped. If ur trapped in a horrible place, who decides to bring in a human who may suffer too?. Adopt a child who is already here.. imagine changing the lives of those Romanian orphanage babies...I only see selfish reasons for bringing kids into this world. Name one thats a positive for the children, instead of not being born....just ONE.

by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2023 4:12 PM

Most people who have kids didn't want kids, they wanted unprotected orgasms.

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2023 6:37 PM

R32 are you saying that children are an STD?

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2023 6:46 PM

When you create a life, you create a death. No baby, no cry; no cradle, no grave.

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2023 7:47 PM

Yes, there are too many people on earth.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2023 8:21 PM

My views on this differ per region/country.

by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2023 8:24 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCKING HATE THESE RUGRATS

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2023 8:25 PM

India really needs to figure some stuff out. They are set to eclipse China.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2023 9:51 PM

People have kids when they're young, dumb, and healthy. They don't have kids when they're older and more experienced, because by that time they realize how dangerous life is.

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2023 10:43 PM

Amen, r34.

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2023 11:18 PM

every cradle is a grave. why bother?

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2023 12:13 AM

R31 Adopt Romanian babies? While heartwarming, apparently you are unaware of what a nightmare that was for a lot of parents.

R12 I was actually speaking about the US.

The more educated a woman is, the less children she tends to have. It would be absolutely an accomplishment for people the world over to have access to things like education, healthcare, adequate food, resources and safety. Greed, grift, and corruption seem to get in the way.

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2023 12:48 AM

Fewer!

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2023 12:50 AM

Have more kids! The rich need more slaves.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2023 2:44 AM

We should have limits on how many though. You should have to prove that you can afford to raise them. Mandatory birth control at puberty.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote]I’ve observed SOOO many shitty parents, here in the United States.

Care to elaborate, r25?

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2023 3:33 AM

R4 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2023 3:38 AM

[quote]For the most part, yes. But the opposite phenomenon -- when a nation has a negative birth-rate and the population is elderly-heavy -- presents with its own problems as well. See Japan, Italy.

Yes, but we do need to have a national conversation about people to stop having children they (and the rest of us) can't afford. At least 48% of all children in America are born to mothers on Medicaid, which means, taxpayers pay a minimum of $22,000 for each child to be born. That's bullshit.

I live in the South and white women mostly plan/time their marriages for after they have their children. They have one through 2 or 3 children (medical bills paid courtesy of the taxpayers), then they'll get married. They purposely do it after the state (the TAXPAYERS) have paid all the hospital bills for the births of all their bastard children. And they all get food stamps and WIC too. At least 60% of these white welfare whores are republicans

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2023 4:31 AM

R42 [quote] Greed, grift, and corruption seem to get in the way.

Don't forget about religion

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2023 8:35 AM

There is a subject that infuriates MAGA idiots. The simple responsible choice to not have kids, with no abortion to arrest a person for drives them into a rage. For some reason intelligent people have figured out how not to reproduce, the maga crowd burns with murderous jealous rage.

My coworker got disowned by her alt right family because she chose not to marry or have kids.

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2023 9:15 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2023 9:16 AM

Funny thing how people love getting rescued animals, but won’t pay children the same courtesy. Adopt them and stop giving birth.

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2023 12:58 PM

If you can't feed your baby, then don't have a baby

Mama say, mama sah, mama-coo-sah

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2023 1:12 PM

I work at a court.

If you were allowed to observe child support court, after a couple of cases, if you had a lick of sense, you'd be running out of the court room like your hair was on fire, going to clinic and be getting a tubal ligation or a vasectomy on the spot.

I think any person, wealthy, poor, of any race, ethnicity who thinks it's a good idea to have children should have their head examined.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2023 1:25 PM

[quote] Most people who have kids didn't want kids, they wanted unprotected orgasms.

and are idiots and probably raising idiots.

Birth control, abortions, tubal ligations and vasectomies should be as easy as to get as a flu shot.

Hell, put birth control right into the public water supply.

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2023 1:29 PM

Watching Idiocracy and The Wild & Wonderful Whites of West Virginia will turn anyone anti-natalist.

by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2023 2:35 PM

Yes. We need fewer people on this planet. Anyone with a brain knows this.

I'm not talking about making it a law like in China. Unfortunately, people will always be too arrogant and selfish and will always want little versions of themselves walking around and taking up more resources on a planet humans have already endangered.

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2023 2:50 PM

Would any gay man be PRO-natalist?

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2023 5:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2023 5:49 PM

I think the question OP poses is kind of silly. It's ot about being anti-natal. It's about being ecologically responsible, which flies in the face of adding more people to the planet.

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2023 6:26 PM

[quote] Would any gay man be PRO-natalist?

I knew a gay man who gave birth to an ass baby once. His name was Andy Cohen! And the baby came out slathered in cocaine!

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2023 6:36 PM

…and sideways. He didn’t scream or nuthin. He was a real trouper.

by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2023 7:36 PM

R49 Catholicism, LDS, and the Qiverfull movement.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2023 7:10 AM

The Catholic hierarchy encourages big families, but that message is falling on deaf ears. Most Catholic nations in the developed world are losing population rapidly. Croatia, Portugal, Hungary, Poland Italy, Cuba - all Catholic nations, all in the top 20 nations losing population. Spain is also losing population rapidly. In most of Latin America, population has just about reached its peak and will start declining in the next 10 years or sooner.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2023 7:28 AM

R64 I didn’t know that. Good news.

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2023 4:06 PM

[quote]...and I remember Jane Fonda telling the pregnant woman “why bring a child into this horrible world”.

The best things in life are free, r7.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2023 4:14 PM

Italy is really losing young people at a rapid rate - the birthrate is very very low.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2023 7:46 PM

I kind of don't have any skin in this game - as a gay man, the world already has my own contribution of abstinence. I also don't feel terribly comfortable telling other people how to live their lives. Of course the world would be better off with fewer people in it, but it isn't really feasible to get people to stop reproducing. Anti-natalism is bound not to succeed; people will do what they are going to do regardless. It will come with its own consequences, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 68January 26, 2023 5:44 PM

^^^Tell all of the gay men and lesbians who are procreating and not adopting. We are becoming part of the problem too R68.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2023 10:46 PM

Having kids was something people did for entertainment before the internet. I see no reason for having kids today.

by Anonymousreply 70January 31, 2023 12:36 AM

[quote]Having kids was something people did for entertainment before the internet. I see no reason for having kids today.

YES!

Having kids is a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 71January 31, 2023 12:52 AM

I'm kinda glad my parents had a kid.

by Anonymousreply 72January 31, 2023 1:05 AM

More people should spend time thinking about having children and setting themselves up financially so that they will be able to comfortably afford the children. People seem to have no sense about this at all.

by Anonymousreply 73January 31, 2023 1:16 AM

You are old beyond your years, oh R7

by Anonymousreply 74January 31, 2023 1:22 AM

The Only people that should be having kids are people that can afford it and people that are invested in bringing up children right. Like manners, respect, and all the stuff that seems so lacking these days.

by Anonymousreply 75January 31, 2023 2:16 AM

Yes. Limit it to one, at least.

by Anonymousreply 76January 31, 2023 2:23 AM

[quote]Do you think people should stop having kids?

Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 77January 31, 2023 2:34 AM

There's a subreddit called "Regretful Parents" — if you're on the fence about kids, the stories there will put your hair up in curlers. SO many people know immediately after the kid is born that they've made a life-altering mistake that cannot be reversed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 31, 2023 2:58 AM

"Honey, our lives aren't stressful enough--let's have a baby!"

by Anonymousreply 79January 31, 2023 2:54 PM

What do you tell somebody from a repressive theocracy that tells you that a woman’s main purpose is to make babies? When the church or mosque is in charge, it will be impossible to get through to folks to not have children.

by Anonymousreply 80February 1, 2023 12:01 AM

Bring a child into this world so they can do what? There's nothing here.

by Anonymousreply 81February 7, 2023 6:26 PM

Nothing, R81? What can you possibly mean? There's art, literature, travel, museums, rain forests and mountains, oceans...to name just a few things that are, in fact, here.

by Anonymousreply 82February 7, 2023 6:31 PM

I think children should be removed from most public places, but the reasons of these nutters are up there with political vegans that kill more animals and eliminate species than they save.

so, I'll be dedicating a porn thread to them later as an anti-protest to create spank banks for when they go in to donate their baby batter while trolling the rethugs that gayness has contaminated the supply, because we all know many of them have low T and the few with goodlooking kids don't look anything like their fathers and one too many pitctures with fey poses and vpl they don't have.

by Anonymousreply 83February 7, 2023 6:33 PM

That's quite a strange rant, R83.

by Anonymousreply 84February 7, 2023 6:35 PM

R82 If you enjoy those things, go for it. Just don't drag someone else here and expect them to be into it. There's no guarantee offspring will share their parents' values or even be grateful they were brought into life.

by Anonymousreply 85February 7, 2023 6:39 PM

Yes, R81/R85, I do enjoy all those things, as any mentally well-adjusted person would. As for dragging anyone here, I have never advocated "dragging" anyone anywhere (I couldn't even if I wanted to), and I am all for having a lot fewer people on the planet, through birth control, abortion, planned parenthood, etc.

And of course one can't guarantee that the world's children will be grateful for oceans or sunsets or fine art. But what a strangely nihilistic way you have of writing off everything that's here for all of us who did not ask to be born, but nevertheless were born, to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 86February 7, 2023 6:46 PM

One of my late father’s hobbies was to get stinking drunk and slobber his declaration of love for his family. The next day, hungover and remorseful, he hurled expletives at us…so, no, I don’t share my father’s hobbies.

by Anonymousreply 87February 7, 2023 7:09 PM

R86 Enjoying what life has to offer is different than thinking life has to offer something that compels you to invite more people here so they can experience it. It's not THAT good. Not when there's so much potential harm. Spinning the 'Wheel of Destiny' for someone else is obnoxious and rude. There are millions of people on this planet in chronic pain, but not one is in chronic pleasure. There's always been a massive asymmetry in life. Always more bad than good.

by Anonymousreply 88February 7, 2023 7:10 PM

R88, I don't think that life "has" to offer something, but if you're born, you're stuck here (unless you decide to kill yourself), so there's probably something you can find to enjoy. And as I already said, I have not "invited" anyone to bring people into the world--the opposite, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 89February 7, 2023 7:14 PM

R89 Are we disagreeing? If you're already here: find things to get into, have fun, enjoy yourself, do good things -- just don't have kids. There's no reason to. Live may be worth living but it's certainly not worth perpetuating.

by Anonymousreply 90February 7, 2023 7:20 PM

I am all for not having kids, and for others not having them, but the latter idea has never really taken hold, and there's nothing we can do about it. Not having kids ourselves isn't going to save the planet.

by Anonymousreply 91February 7, 2023 7:26 PM

R91 Anti-natalists don't want to save the planet, they want to save sentient life from the harm of coming into existence.

by Anonymousreply 92February 7, 2023 7:33 PM

I'm more for saving the planet, R92. The planet truly did not ask for all this human life on it.

by Anonymousreply 93February 7, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote] My coworker got disowned by her alt right family because she chose not to marry or have kids.

Oh honey, that's not why...

by Anonymousreply 94February 8, 2023 11:49 AM

you ever listen to an anti-natalist's deranged rants?

you know, and once you have.. the appropriate question is why haven't they off'd themselves.

They've got no desire to make way for other people's children despite the environmental impact. In fact, they'lll go out of their way to justify it. It's the same at the other end, though, they also tend to want to kill off people of a certain age and their ideal age group just happens to be the age group their in. Imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 95February 8, 2023 1:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!