Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cake question

I have a recipe and pic of the cake I want for a special occasion for my mother. Can I take this to a bakery and will they do it? Even "custom" cake places seem to have a select few flavors to choose from. The recipe is a strawberry-champagne cake with champagne icing and pink and gold sprinkles and edible pearls. My mom is a girly-girl who loves champagne and pink. I want to take it to a baker and say "this is what I want".

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2023 8:46 PM

Depends on the bakery, I guess. Why not give them a call?

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2023 7:36 PM

Just a suggestion: maybe contact culinary schools (or local junior college?) and see if they can put you in touch with a graduate(s) who does freelance work.

Alternately, look in your area for someone who does special event cakes. A bakery may. It want to get involved with someone else’s recipe.

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2023 7:37 PM

Show us the cake, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2023 7:37 PM

Good idea R2. There is a comm. college nearby with a culinary school.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2023 7:39 PM

buy a box

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2023 7:42 PM

You may be able to find a commercial bakery that would do it for you, but your best bet would be to find a friend how knows his/her way around a kitchen and enjoys baking. If I lived near you I'd bake it for you and trust me, your mother would swoon over it. My baked confections are to die for.

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2023 7:44 PM

Hi, Greg (r6)!

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2023 7:47 PM

R6 I'd attempt it myself too but I don't know my way around a pastry bag to save my life. I can cook anything else.

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2023 7:49 PM

Ask a friend, who know how to bake, to show you how to bake it. You'll have lots of fun and your mum will appreciate it all the more.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2023 7:49 PM

Sandra Lee could probably show you how to semi-homemake it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2023 7:51 PM

And frankly, most bakeries would probably charge you a mint to back a special cake like that. Many people are not aware that most all cakes baked in bakeries, even the top tier bakeries, are box mixes.

No R7, not Greg. Just someone who's been baking for 50 years and have it down to a science.

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2023 7:53 PM

Surely there's an easy dump cake recipe online that can be tweaked enough so that you can create it yourself!

by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2023 7:56 PM

Are you married, r11?

Consider this a proposal.

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2023 7:57 PM

go on next door or fb and ask about/find the local "cake lady."

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2023 7:59 PM

I think what you’re doing for your mom is terrific, OP.

Enjoy her all you can while she is here to love.

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2023 8:01 PM

I’d be interested in seeing that recipe, OP

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2023 8:08 PM

R14 has the right idea, I’m sure there are some women in your area with this side gig. I had a friend who made kids birthday cakes once she became a stay at home mom. They were more about the custom shape & decoration - Elmo, Paddington Bear - than the actual cake, but if you have a recipe this shouldn’t be too hard.

by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2023 8:19 PM

I agree with R14. Or call a small-time caterer (as opposed to a major catering company). I’m not sure you’ll have much luck with a bakery. But just start calling around. It’s lovely that you want to do this for your mother. You’re not in Massachusetts, are you?

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2023 8:31 PM

I can't eat this I'm doing keto.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2023 8:31 PM

Here's the recipe R16.

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2023 8:33 PM

Link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2023 8:33 PM

Is this similar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2023 8:34 PM

Sorry for the overlap!

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2023 8:35 PM

Wedding cake bakers are used to custom order like this, but you will have to pay for a test cake to make sure it is what you want. Oh, and plus months of lead time.

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2023 8:35 PM

Unless you’re OP’s mom R19, no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2023 8:48 PM

Umm, cake.

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2023 8:50 PM

Isn’t this just basically 7-Up cake?

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2023 8:54 PM

Mmmmm. 7-up.

I like the sound of that.

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2023 8:56 PM

It's very pretty. The only thing I wonder about the decoration is those sugar pearls pressed into the sides of the cake. Aren't they going to be too hard to eat? I'd go with more sprinkles in a pink color instead. And I wonder how the taste of champagne will be when it's reduced and the bubbles are gone. (Flat champagne tastes different.)

OP, it doesn't look that complicated to decorate; there's not a lot of fancy piping. Maybe you could give it a try after all?

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2023 9:03 PM

OP do you have access to a phone to call the actual bakeries and ask? I wonder if that would work!

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2023 9:05 PM

My body is telling me I need to eat this entire cake, and I would be doing it on my nutritionist's sound advice.

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2023 9:31 PM

[quote]The only thing I wonder about the decoration is those sugar pearls pressed into the sides of the cake. Aren't they going to be too hard to eat?

Agree - there are going to be a lot of sugar pearls rolling around on the floor...

and probably a slip and fall accident involving a great big fat person.

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2023 10:05 PM

That's a rather simple recipe OP. Most anyone who's ever baked a scratch cake could do that one. Can't vouch for their decorating abilities though.

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2023 10:27 PM

I could make the cake. The decorating is the issue R33.

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2023 2:01 AM

Many bakeries will do the decoration for customers who bring in their own cakes. Even some grocery stores who have in house bakeries will do it. Plus, if you look in the yellow pages you'll probably find people who decorate cakes out of their homes.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2023 1:01 PM

I guess OP doesn't want to answer my question about living in Massachusetts. I was interested in helping if he happened to.

by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2023 1:03 PM

OP, you may have to walk into a bakery or three, but one of them will say "sure, no problem!", I guarantee you.

Business is business.

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2023 1:04 PM

Frankly, the decoration of this cake is rather simple. All you need is a revolving cake turntable, and offset spatula, and a pastry bag. It's really not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2023 1:07 PM

And R30, is right. As I said in R18, just start calling around. If I needed a cake baked and decorated, DL is not the place I'd think to look.

[quote] OP do you have access to a phone to call the actual bakeries and ask? I wonder if that would work!

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2023 1:09 PM

Greg, while baking, and especially decorating a cake is second nature to those like you and I, since we've been doing it for years and have a love of the craft, I can see it being a daunting task for someone who has little to no experience. I've seen cakes decorated by people who have little experience. They were horrors, HORRORS I TELL YOU! It is amazing how badly some can screw up a cake recipe. I had a long term neighbor (may she RIP) who always had a full time cook until her husband died and she downsized from a palatial home to a large condo with a lady who cleaned and did minimal food prep. She tried baking a strawberry cake once on her own and came knocking on my door in a panic. Her cake was taking a disastrous turn & she needed it for a little gathering she was hosting that evening. I went over to see what she'd done and saw that the poor dear had taken the cake layers out of the oven and immediately started slathering on the frosting, which promptly melted and made the top layer break up into huge slabs and slide off the bottom layers. Poor thing, she just didn't know.

She had lots of strawberries left over so I took them to my place and made her a 3 layer cake fit for a king. I taught her the dos and don'ts of baking and she actually became a passable baker over time.

I feel for the OP, and hope he finds someone to give him good cake.

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2023 1:51 PM

[quote]to those like you and I,

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2023 1:52 PM

R40 is one of the MARYest!!!! posts I’ve read on DL in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2023 1:54 PM

You might as well ask a non baker to do brain surgery as ask him to do a border of rosettes, scallops, or shells with a piping bag.

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2023 1:57 PM

[quote] [R40] is one of the MARYest!!!! posts I’ve read on DL in a long time.

May be Butch, but I get the job done. That's but one of the many times I've turned someone's disaster into a triumph. I also know how to change the oil & top off necessary fluids in a car, replace brake calipers, rotate the tires, and even build a beautiful dog house if the need arises.

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2023 2:03 PM

[quote]a border of rosettes, scallops, or shells

Who the hell wants seafood or pasta on a cake? No wonder the OP is having a hard time finding a baker.

by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2023 2:04 PM

Without reading all of the responses to you inquiry here I'll ask straight off as to why don't you call or visit bakeries in your area and ask them?

Take the photos you have along that shows what you want.

Why are you asking for advice here when in reality you could very simply take care of this on your own?

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2023 2:04 PM

R40, nice story. I'm not a big baker and prefer cooking to baking. But you're right, if one is not accustomed to baking a cake and wants it to look like the cake in the photo, that would be daunting.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2023 2:06 PM

OP if you make it yourself you can post a picture on this site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2023 2:33 PM

You’ve forgotten the graxy OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2023 3:11 PM

OP- I already have some of the ingredients for this cake which I need to make one of these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2023 3:30 PM

R50 that reminds me of a childhood cake my mom made. Chocolate pudding cake. Chocolate box mix, box of instant choc. pudding. Add 2 c. milk, stir and pour in cake pan. Sprinkle top with semi-sweet choc. chips and bake. Comes out moist and dense almost like a brownie and people rave over it.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2023 6:32 PM

By "champagne" I suppose you mean Prosecco or Asti?

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2023 6:35 PM

R51 has my mouth watering.

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2023 6:48 PM

The cake is a lie.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2023 6:58 PM

After careful research and looking on Amazon I may try to do this myself. I'm going to buy professional cake decorating tools and practice on cheap box cakes before making the real deal. I figure between that and some YT videos it can't be too hard. I'm a damn fine cook so why not add cake decorating?

Thanks for all the advice. Try my cake at R51. It's so good and easy.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote]and practice on cheap box cakes before making the real deal.

Go get a pen and paper. I’m going to give you my address and you can send me the “drafts.”

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2023 7:05 PM

If you're anywhere near San Luis Obispo the Madonna Inn is famous for its pink champagne cake. There. is a coffee shop and bakery onsite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2023 7:15 PM

Answer Cake was my mother's favorite way to bake a cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2023 7:21 PM

[quote]Madonna Inn is famous for its pink champagne cake.

It would be, wouldn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2023 7:28 PM

R57 that cake sounds delicious but less chocolate curls on tops would be better. I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate either.

by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2023 7:40 PM

[quote]I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate either.

Oh, yeah, I’m watching you now, Bub.

by Anonymousreply 61January 23, 2023 7:42 PM

[quote] … but less chocolate curls on tops would be better.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2023 8:22 PM

[quote] practice on cheap box cakes

If you just want to practice piping techniques don't bother baking box cakes. Just practice on white copier paper. Watch some piping videos on YouTube. There are tons. Baking the cake should be the least of your worries. Anyone with an IQ above 90 should be able to follow a recipe if you have a rudimentary knowledge of preparing food. Admittedly, with baking you must be a bit more precise as it's as much chemistry as it is cooking. Just make sure you prepare the cake pans properly (butter the sides first and dust them with flour and use parchment paper on the bottom). And here's another hint. If you want cake layers that don't have overcooked sides just wet tea towels and fold them lenghwise to about 2 - 2.5" and then wrap them in a heavy layer of aluminum foil. Then wrap those securely around the outside of each pan before baking. That will give you cake layers that are perfectly baked with no hard overcooked edges. And make sure you test the cake after you pull it out of the oven with a toothpick or a knife. Stick it in the middle of the layers, pull it out and if it comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay), it's done. If it comes out wet put it back in the oven for 5 more minutes and test again until it's done. And make sure you let the layers cool in the pans for 15 minutes, elevated, before you turn them out onto wire cooling racks to completely cool. You can cook the layers days before you want to decorate the cake. Just wrap them in cling film and put them in the fridge. You can even freeze them. Just move them to the fridge a day before you plan on frosting them. They thaw out fast. Frankly, it's easier to frost a cold cake than one at room temperature.

And DON'T FORGET TO DO A CRUMB COAT ON THE CAKE FIRST. That's just a very thin layer of frosting all over the cake. Then you return the cake to the fridge to let the crumb coat firm up. Then when you finish the frosting you won't have a ton of crumbs releasing into your nice frosting as you put it on.

Again, just watch some YouTube videos on baking and decorating a cake and you'll learn a lot.

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2023 8:35 PM

Quiet, r63!

How am I supposed to get them drafts?

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2023 8:45 PM

[quote]… but less chocolate curls on tops would be better.

And DEFINITELY on bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2023 8:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!