Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fat whores, mourn! Intermittent fasting may not be as helpful for losing weight as once thought, study finds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2024 6:10 AM

It's a fkin lie. Sugar and carb companies what you to consume a carb heavy diet so you can be hungry every 4 hrs. The fast food industry is in on it. Once a revelation is made they always backtrack 1-2 yrs later. This is all about money and people waking up.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2023 5:55 PM

Portion control and exercise have always been logical and safe ways to lose weight (and to maintain it). Thoughtful and healthy meal planning and prepping is a must.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2023 6:01 PM

Funny that it would be CNN reporting this. They haven't told the truth since Obamas first term.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2023 6:06 PM

I don't listen to these studies one way or another. I'll try something if it sounds right. If there is a positive, I keep doing it.

It don't think it is complicated: avoid processed foods, especially processed carbs, focus on whole foods, and exercise, either by going to the gym or just keeping your fat ass out of the car and off the couch. I find intermittent fasting gives me more energy. If you eat healthfully, cravings and hunger pangs aren't an issue.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2023 6:09 PM

Finally, this old wives’ tale is being debunked. Whenever anyone claims to have lost weight by controlling the time of day they ate, it’s always shown that they actually were just eating fewer calories than they burned each day, same as a normal diet.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2023 6:11 PM

I substitute Skinny & Sweet for sugar.

The pounds just melt away.

Be careful though, the box looks just like rat poison.

Maybe someday I'll tell the story about the time I mixed up the two at the office.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2023 6:14 PM

R5, it has to do with limiting the digestion/insulin window, not the actual time of day,

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2023 6:20 PM

Shock! Fad diet based on a festishised relation to food, rather than nutrition science, which is NOT rocket science, is unhealthy, useless, and possibly dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2023 6:45 PM

MARY r8!!

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Works for me. Anything that encourages mindful, healthy eating is a good thing in my book. I am not hungry when I wake up, only have tea and water until noon and then fork down not a minute past 8 pm. Kitchen is closed. It's the easiest thing I've ever done to handle cravings and maintain my weight.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2023 6:58 PM

All that matters is results and how whatever diet an individual is on works for them. Diet, like healthcare, should not be confined to a one-size-fits-all approach or standard. Who the fuck cares what the for-profit experts and organizations think, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2023 7:48 PM

I've tried intermittent fasting. It was good for maintaining weight, but only because I ate fewer calories overall.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2023 12:56 PM

It's counter intuitive to the way the body/metabolism works. Starving yourself has to be a lifestyle, you don't starve yourself to then eat, and allow your body to hoarde. I'm not recommending elimination, (vomiting or laxatives), just stating fact.

I'm starting a new diet, and it's called the 1940s plate. You eat, but you use foods with ingredients used in the 1940s, in portion sizes from the 1940s, on plates the same size as what was used....in the 1940s. I can GUARANTEE positive results! Good luck finding EVERYTHING without any sugar syrups!

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2023 4:38 PM

R13 any guides to that? pictures. Sounds interesting.

I have often modeled my diet on my great grandmother and her mother. So early mid-century. They ate "whole foods" not "frankenfoods". There are place in Europe where old people still consume such a diet. In countries such as France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria you can go to lunch at modest restaurants and you'll be served a well proportioned meal and at a modest price, and it that looks like something your grandma ate if she was from those parts.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2023 4:44 PM

I've been doing it for a few months and have lost 10 pounds. I'm eating pretty much the same as always from 10-6 but no mindless snacking in the evening. Hardest part was switching to black coffee in the a.m. but I'm used to it now.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2023 4:47 PM

R14 The post is the only guide as it was made up for sarcastic purposes, but it sounds like you eat sensibly. The only thing I can think of is looking for old cookbooks. And old plates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2023 5:22 PM

No one is "starving" from intermittent fasting. It's not like we're out working in the fields or clearing timber and need a hearty breakfast. I usually wake up around 8, and don't feel hungry until at least noon. I consume my daily calories during an 8 hour (sometimes 6 hour) window.

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2023 5:29 PM

[quote]No one is "starving" from intermittent fasting.

Speak for yourself, r17!

by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2023 5:31 PM

fasting is beneficial but only in addition with a healthy lifestyle and diet. It's part of the package.

If you want to review the nutloaves, then I suggest you look into the juicer community. . . out of the varied crowds that do, they're the most opinionated. Also, likely to give you a good heads up on supplements and vitamins. The beefcake are nice to look at but try the black and sassy. . . although there's a hapa that focuses his entire channel on selling and reviewing juicers. He's, um, an acquired test some seem to enjoy. That crowd is obsessed with math and physics as the keto crossfitting cults.

r18 don't you have roaches to milk?

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2023 5:32 PM

r18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2023 5:33 PM

Some of the fattest people I’ve ever met never eat breakfast and skip meals all the time. They just make up for it later.

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2023 5:48 PM

For me, the only two diets that have ever worked is Slim Fast and Keto. Slim Fast was very easy, but you have to stick with it. Keto isn't hard either, but there comes a point when you're gonna eat bread, which will lead to more bread and will blow the whole diet to hell.

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2023 5:54 PM

The best diet plans involve a sustainable exercise regimen

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2023 3:30 PM

Good. I have no intention of fasting, ever.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2023 3:33 PM

I fast in between bites.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 3:34 PM

Intermittent fasting has worked for me. I've lost 20 lbs in about a year and a half, going from 195 to 175 (I'm 6'1"). I only eat between noon and 8 pm and I'm strict about it. I also don't eat an entire chocolate cake during the eight hours I'm allowed to eat. I thought giving up breakfast would be difficult, but it turned out to be no problem at all. It's after 8 pm when you have to be really disciplined, but once you start to see results, it gets easier.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2023 3:50 PM

I've never heard that any kind of fasting was supposed to be healthy, unless you count doing a "cleanse", which is regarded as nonsense. I've never gone on a diet and I've never been overweight. Healthy eating, portion control and exercise is all. I indulge in junk sometimes too, but always balance it out the next meal or next day.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2023 3:54 PM

[quote]I've never gone on a diet and I've never been overweight.

Then you really can’t speak on the topic.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2023 4:03 PM

We've never gone a diet either. Diet means what you eat right.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2023 4:16 PM

Bullshit. I was doing IF from 8PM until 12PM and I lost at least ten pounds.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2023 4:19 PM

My experience has been like R26. I had tried many other things, but this was the easiest, and has lasted the longest. I had heart problems and was starting to develop type 2 diabetes. I do at least 30 minutes of cardio, five days a week. I have a better diet, but I’m not perfect. I have lost 30 lbs over the past year, and my goal is my high school weight, which I’ve read is a good way to keep the pesky medical problems away. I’m almost there btw. Diabetes is no longer an issue, as my A1C has been under 5 for some time. I’ve cut my overall meds down to two heart related rx. I can’t speak for anyone else, but it has really worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2023 4:26 PM

Experts! They get everybody to do one thing after another, that they take back later. Especially in the diet field. It always comes back to, "Hm, maybe you just need to eat less." No shit.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2023 4:32 PM

[quote]No one is "starving" from intermittent fasting. It's not like we're out working in the fields or clearing timber and need a hearty breakfast.

Well, actually some people do work in the fields, or clear timber. They're called farmers and lumberjacks.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2023 4:35 PM

What makes IF attractive is that it's easier to just not eat at certain times, rather than to follow more byzantine diets

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2023 6:21 PM

I lost a lot of weight doing intermittent fasting and I feel really good so I’m going to keep doing it. I also cut out pasta, bread, potatoes and rice except for a couple of times a month.

I also excercize regularly now.

by Anonymousreply 35February 5, 2023 2:55 AM

[quote]I also excercize regularly now.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 36February 5, 2023 9:12 AM

Intermittent fasting works for me. It got my diabetes type 2 under control.

I am no longer considered diabetic per my A1C test results. My waist is 34 inches and I'm 6'2".

Considering I used to weigh 304 pounds and my waist was 46 inches, intermittent fasting and keto work for me.

by Anonymousreply 37February 5, 2023 9:35 AM

Anybody can do intermittent fasting, and it costs zero dollars. No memberships or prepackaged meals or specific foods or shakes or juices.

Of course there are going to be "experts" and "studies" claiming it doesn't work. Nobody can make money off of it.

by Anonymousreply 38February 5, 2023 9:42 AM

R36 Hahah thanks for the oh, dear! I can never spell that word but I will NEVER stop gleefully criticizing those who the wrong they’re/there/their, to/too or your/you’re!

by Anonymousreply 39February 5, 2023 11:08 AM

Skipping meals, including breakfast, triggers a reaction in the brain that damages immune system cells and makes the body more vulnerable to diseases like heart disease and cancer, a new study has found.

It can also trigger a stress reaction in the body.

"Our study provides a word of caution as it suggests that there may also be a cost to fasting that carries a health risk," said lead author of a new study into the fasting diet, Dr Filip Swirski of Icahn Mount Sinai in New York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 24, 2023 2:31 PM

IF only works when it leads to a caloric deficit. In that case, it's not the fasting that loses the weight, but the body's burning of more calories than it consumes - Same as any other diet.

But IF works well for people who'd rather count numbers on a clock than calories on all the shit they eat all day. It's psychological.

by Anonymousreply 41February 24, 2023 2:41 PM

Calories in calories out I don’t know what’s hard for people to understand. Weight loss is the least confusing thing you can do.

by Anonymousreply 42February 24, 2023 2:53 PM

Intermittent fasting works if you are skipping the calories of the meal you’re missing, not so much if you jam that meal in during the eating time

by Anonymousreply 43February 24, 2023 2:53 PM

Intermittent fasting worked well the first time I tried it. It worked a little less the second time. By the third and fourth times, nothing changed.

by Anonymousreply 44February 24, 2023 2:54 PM

I'd love to see a lengthy, comprehensive study on fasting, because what we get in the news goes back and forth as to whether it helps or not. A study in October 2021 from University of Chicago said fasting helps, but less than six months later, a study in the New England Journal of Medicine said fasting doesn't make you lose any more weight than a diet with mild calorie restrictions, and no benefits to glucose or anything like that. It makes you wonder which study is right.

by Anonymousreply 45February 24, 2023 3:03 PM

My personnel diet plan was the plan recommened by SNL many years ago , here it is : Eat less, move more. Eat less , move more. Eat less , move more.

by Anonymousreply 46February 24, 2023 3:08 PM

I don't fast to lose weight, I do it for the supposed health benefits -- apparently called into question by this new study -- and because I feel better when I only eat during a seven-hour window every day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 24, 2023 3:31 PM

I've been doing intermittent fasting since July 2021. I've lost almost 30 pounds, burned a ton of fat and gained greater muscle mass. My energy levels have never been higher.

by Anonymousreply 48February 24, 2023 3:35 PM

Like R47, I thought the benefit of IF was stimulating autophagy and decreasing the rate of telomere shortening.

by Anonymousreply 49February 24, 2023 3:38 PM

How long do you fast, r48?

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2023 3:38 PM

I’ve lost a few pounds since starting IF last month. I fast for 16 hours (8pm to 12am) and I feel better. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and eat small meals, or order food late at night. I’m not as hungry I used to be and I get full faster.

by Anonymousreply 51February 24, 2023 11:42 PM

R50 I do the 14/10 split: 14 or 15 hours of fasting and 9 to 10 hours of eating.

by Anonymousreply 52February 26, 2023 2:10 AM

R42 People still need proper nutrition. It's more than just calories.

by Anonymousreply 53February 26, 2023 2:31 AM

Fasting?? This whole time I've been doing intermittent feasting!

by Anonymousreply 54February 26, 2023 3:08 AM

AND it's bad for your heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 18, 2024 8:42 PM

What fat whores are fasting, OP?

by Anonymousreply 56March 18, 2024 8:43 PM

As far as I know it basically gives you a boost of energy because your brain functions better at a certain point of hunger or something. The only way you're losing weight is by being in a caloric deficit. People lose weight fasting because by restricting the times of the day that they consume calories in they tend to consume less of them.

by Anonymousreply 57March 18, 2024 8:45 PM

At least one, r56!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2024 8:46 PM

People try it and if it causes them to consume fewer calories and lose weight, they attribute the weight loss to the intermittent fasting instead of the actual cause, reduced calories.

by Anonymousreply 59March 18, 2024 8:52 PM

Meh, just weigh your food and use calorie calculators. There's no reason to be fat with all the technology we have today.

by Anonymousreply 60March 18, 2024 9:06 PM

Not eating every hour of the day is not the same as “starving” yourself. If it works for some people but not all that doesn’t mean it’s useless. It’s a psychological trick to make you eat less and if it works… so fucking what!

by Anonymousreply 61March 18, 2024 9:11 PM

I find that if I eat a protein-rich breakfast, skip lunch, and eat a reasonable dinner, I function best. Even if I eat a moderate lunch, I lose steam in the afternoon, which is the time I need to be doing my best work.

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2024 9:14 PM

As a rule you're probably better off just having your bigger meals earlier in the day. I have a good breakfast, a good lunch, and in the evening I have a very light snack, maybe just a fruit, or a few whole grain crackers with nut butter. I tend to have a somewhat intermittent fast most days as the result of not eating between 7pm and 9-10 am.

by Anonymousreply 63March 19, 2024 1:26 AM

I swear by it ! At first its hard but keep on drinking coffee till noon, sometimes i go till 3. I am back to my high school weight and have kept it for almost two years.

by Anonymousreply 64March 19, 2024 2:38 AM

I too model my diet more on my grandmother than my mom and dad. I grew up with a relatively healthy diet of the 60s and 70s but still industrial foods had crept in and the variety wasn't great. My Grandmother and Greatgrandfather ate whole foods and homemade, with a lot of roasting and baking. And lots of animal fat. Always roasting vegetables in the winter along with the meat. Greatgrandfather had a garden after he retired and grew all kinds of vegetables. Everyone remembers guys like this from their town or neighborhood, if it wasn't a family member.

They resisted all the 60s and 70s industrial foods. Lived into their 90s and very alert and active. Drank in moderation, smoked now and then, too. I gave up the social smoking at 50. Miss it.

by Anonymousreply 65March 19, 2024 2:54 AM

Years ago, my mother was trying to lose some weight, and she would go on all kinds of fad diets, but the one thing she was told when she finally got advice from her actual doctor and a nutritionist, was that if you go for long periods without eating, or skip meals, all you do is slow your metabolism down and make it harder to lose weight and keep it off. He suggested she eat several times a day, not huge meals, but more like small plates with protein and good carbs. Avoid starches fried foods and processed foods. Instead sitting there eating chips slice up some apples or carrots. But "fasting" is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2024 2:59 AM

I know a guy in his 50s who lost weight with IF. But a woman I know who fasts for days at a time is really big. It's very awkward when she tries to sell the health benefits of fasting to us.

by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2024 6:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!