Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you ever write a fan letter?

Not a social media post but a real USPS letter, personal email or text -- did you get a response?

by Anonymousreply 260January 5, 2024 9:01 AM

Yes and yes

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2023 1:19 AM

I wrote to both Elizabeth Hubbard and Judith Chapman. I got a nice response from both ladies.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2023 1:21 AM

Three to Sondheim, who returned all three (but he answered every letter he got)

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2023 1:26 AM

I wrote to Rider Strong (Boy Meets World) in 1995. He did answer back - or at least someone representing him did.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2023 1:26 AM

I wrote a fan letter to Diana Muldaur / the Born Free TV series lead, and she sent me an autographed photo. I was 7.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2023 1:31 AM

Yes, to Taco Bell corporate with detailed praise for my local establishment. I was quite drunk, but it was a very nice email.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2023 1:33 AM

In college. I took a class on Sondheim’s musicals. It was fantastic, opening my eyes to his genius. We even took the train to NYC to visit Sondheim and ask him all sorts of questions—a highlight of my life.

After the course was over, I decided to mail him my final paper, a very academic paper on religious imagery on Sweeney Todd. He wrote back thanking me for the paper and how he had thought of any of that.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2023 1:35 AM

I wrote a real letter to Norm Korpi from the first Real World season. This gayling had a huge crush on him. Bitch never wrote back.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2023 1:40 AM

In 1988 or ‘89, I sent a handmade 18th birthday card to Joey McIntyre of New Kids On The Block with a photo of myself enclosed.

I did not receive a reply.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2023 1:43 AM

I wrote to Jonathan Taylor Thomas as a preteen in 1994. His address was in Teen Beat or Tiger Beat or one of those magazines.

He was my first big crush. I received a glossy print with his (preprinted) autograph on it and on the back was an offer to join his official fan club!

I joined that and got a folder, a bookmark, a shiny blue pencil with ‘Jonathan Taylor Thomas Fan Club’ written on it, and an 8x10 photo. I kept it all until a few years ago when I decided that since I was almost 40, I didn’t need it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2023 1:46 AM

DL fav Olivia de Havilland. Not suprisingly the epitome of gracious

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2023 1:46 AM

R10 You must locate him now so we can see what he looks like

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2023 1:48 AM

Klaus Nomi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2023 1:49 AM

what most people don't know - is that the stars pay out of their own pocket the money for postage and pictures to respond back

You might think, what is a 50 cent stamp. But multiple that by 3,000 every month and it does add up. With stationary, the pictures, postage - some stars even hire someone to handle their fan mail. All out of the actors pocket

Some stars absorb the cost themselves, because they are grateful for the fans. Other stars don't respond, because they neither have the time, or they don't want to spend the money to respond.

But with the internet, stars have done away with all this postage and either respond online or charge through Cameo

Other stars, if you want an autographed picture - star would be happy to sign a picture. But if you want it, you have to send a self-addressed stamped envelope or fed-ex package so the star doesn't pay anything, Except their time.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2023 1:54 AM

R12 I’m dying for an update on him! If that pic of the guy walking the dogs from a year or so ago was him, he looks decent.

By 1997 I had outgrown him, but I can’t believe how in love with him I was from 1994-1997.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2023 1:54 AM

I wrote a letter to Queen Elizabeth for the Jubilee earlier in 2022 and got back a nice response. I think that was my first fan letter.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2023 1:56 AM

Not exactly a fan letter but when I was a Freshman in college I managed to get Patti LuPone’s phone number when she was in Minneapolis doing As You Like It at the Guthrie. Believe it or not I was dared by some of guys in my dorm to call her, so after one night and a couple of beers, I did. Why they would’ve had known who she was is beyond me, except I must’ve have babbled about EVITA and there were a couple of soccer players from NY and NJ.I was at a s college in the South. I figure they must’ve seen that damn commercial, which apparently aired constantly.I actually woke her up even though I thought I accounted for the time difference. She was a bit reserved at first until I said something that she actually found funny , then she warmed up and spoke to me for about five minutes. I thanked her, asked her for an autograph photo and she said to send her a self addressed envelope care of the theatre..I did include a letter of apology and she did send me the photo.

About 2 years later I did get to meet her and she obviously recollected the incident. As a matter fact she hugged me and said “I’m so glad we finally got to meet” and introduced me to tell former members of The Acting Company. Back then she was delightful and more fun apparently . Now it seems like you never know what you might get. I’ve had subsequent experiences with her that were either wonderful or not so much.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2023 1:57 AM

I sent a letter to DC Comics in the early 1970s when I was but a little child and received a postcard replying to the comments I sent.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2023 1:57 AM

Embarrassingly once, yes, to someone who played gay on TV. I got a signed autograph photo back. I cringe at myself but this was way back in the late 90s when gay people didn't get much representation on TV.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2023 1:58 AM

R19, Kerr Smith? He was a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2023 2:01 AM

R19 Who was it?

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2023 2:02 AM

In about 1980 I was a teenager with an interest in silent movies and I wrote a fan letter to Lillian Gish. She never responded.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2023 2:14 AM

She'll get around to it eventually, R22.

Her arthritis has been kicking in and Dorothy's not there to lick the stamps anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2023 2:17 AM

Cher in 1976. She sent a signed 8x10 and a printed postcard.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2023 2:20 AM

Yes, to Beverly Sills . . . not for her personal performance, but for a wonderful double-bill performance of her company combining the opera [italic] Dido and Aeneas [/italic] and the ballet [italic] Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme [/italic] with Peter Martins dancing. She wrote me back, longhand, a most gracious and spirited note.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2023 2:21 AM

As a gayling I wrote a letter to QEII asking for an autograph. I got a polite "sorry, kid" reply from a lady-in-waiting.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2023 2:21 AM

As a teen I wrote to Gower Champion and Robert Morse. They both wrote me lovely letters back with Champion explaining some of his staging for Dolly. I certainly didn't throw them out but I have no idea where they are now. There have been a few moves.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2023 2:27 AM

Can I include how I sent Jane Fonda a message on her website back when that was possible, and she answered me.

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2023 2:48 AM

[quote]R14 Other stars don't respond, because they neither have the time, or they don't want to spend the money to respond.

Or they don’t want stalkers.

It’s dangerous to let a perhaps deranged stranger feel they have an increasing closeness with you.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2023 2:58 AM

I sent letters to Judith Chapman (Y&R) and Danny Markel (AW), and they both sent handwritten letters. Judith enclosed a signed photo card as well.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2023 3:03 AM

I wrote to, and received beautiful hand-written replies from Doris Day and Barbara Feldon. Both letters were several pages long, and they seemed genuinely pleased to hear from a fan who remembered their work fondly. Doris Day wrote her letter in a bold, red felt-tipped pen.

Never got a reply from Dawn Wells.

I wrote to Allyn Ann McLeary and never got a reply -but I heard that she was suffering from Alzheimer's, and she died not long after I wrote.

I sent a note to Rodney Dangerfield when he was in the hospital, and received a brief note from his widow. Likewise, I wrote a note to the widow of Pacific Overtures star Mako after his passing, and received a nice card back.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2023 3:10 AM

[quote]R31 Never got a reply from Dawn Wells.

Fuckin’ stoner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2023 3:27 AM

Maybe around 20, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2023 3:34 AM

I wrote to Micheal Jackson in early 1990s and never got a response

My best friend always got responses from the multitude of celebs she wrote to

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote] I wrote to Rider Strong (Boy Meets World) in 1995.

He was very cute. I don't blame you for doing so.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2023 3:43 AM

[quote] I joined that and got a folder, a bookmark, a shiny blue pencil with ‘Jonathan Taylor Thomas Fan Club’ written on it, and an 8x10 photo. I kept it all until a few years ago when I decided that since I was almost 40, I didn’t need it anymore.

Would you perhaps be interested in putting it on EBay? Some may have a need.

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2023 3:44 AM

Yes, I once wrote Ruth Warrick, Phoebe on ALL MY CHILDREN, to tell her even though I was in college, Phoebe was my favorite character, and that I’d read my grandmother’s copy of her autobiography. I never heard back, and had forgotten about it until years later, an envelope showed up at my parents house addressed to me. Ruth sent a signed photo and apologized for the delayed response and wrote that she had discovered her “now FORMER (underlined)” secretary had been hiding fan mail! I got a kick out of that.

I also wrote Julianne Moore, seriously. It was toward the end of her run on AS THE WORLD TURNS. She sent a lovely personal letter, and THREE autographed photos; two headshots, and one of her and Valerie Bertinelli from the miniseries I’LL TAKE MANHATTAN.

I’m sad to say I lost all of these photos and letters in moves over the years. I wish I still had them!

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2023 3:49 AM

I'd forgotten Julianne Moore was in I'll Take Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2023 3:54 AM

R12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2023 3:55 AM

Miss Buzzi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2023 3:57 AM

Qwerty

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2023 4:00 AM

Yes, as a southern gayling, I wrote fan mail to the original cast of RENT (god - so embarrassing - MARY) and they all responded with handwritten notes except for Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2023 4:04 AM

I have a reverse story: my early ‘90s bf was in a niche, west-coast-of-Canada-famous punk band, and he somehow got fan mail from a guy in fucking CUBA, of all places. It was a wonderful letter. I kept pestering him to write back, send CDs, merch, anything - hell, I offered to pay for postage, but the fucking idiot never did. I always felt really bad for that Cuban kid who had somehow heard of them and liked them enough to send them a letter.

My sister did write to Diana, Princess of Wales after her wedding, and got a nice, hanwritten note from one of her ladies in waiting thanking her for her kind words, etc. My sister kept it in a plastic dollar store frame for years.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2023 4:23 AM

^^*handwritten

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2023 4:25 AM

[quote] I always felt really bad for that Cuban kid who had somehow heard of them and liked them enough to send them a letter.

And that Cuban kid - Fidel Castro.

[quote] In 1940, a young Fidel Castro sent a letter to the White House praising Franklin Roosevelt and asking for a $10 bill

[quote] Castro was a teenager with basic English skills when he sent then-President Franklin Roosevelt a handwritten letter praising the American leader. He also had one special request: He wanted to add a $10 bill to his collection of American currency.

[quote] “My good friend Roosevelt,” the letter Castro began, “I like to hear the radio, and I am very happy because I heard in it that you will be President for a new [term]. “If you like, give me a ten dollars bill green american in the letter because never, I have not seen a ten dollars bill green american and I would like to have on of them.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2023 4:27 AM

I wrote a fan letter to a soap star and got a lovely response; a headshot and a standard pre-printed letter WITH a personalized message for me at the bottom that was specific to my inquiry to her. (Why repeat all the standard, biographical stuff everyone wants to know? Smart to pre-print all that.)

Years later, I met her.

Nothing could ever be enough. Actors. Never happy. Not happy when not working. Not happy when not working. Nothing I could say or do could be taken at face value. I feel badly for her. I've met other people though and I'm glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2023 4:29 AM

That’s fascinating, R45! (That sounds like sarcasm, bit it’s not!)

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2023 4:29 AM

"Not happy when working. Not happy when not working."

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2023 4:29 AM

[quote]r34 I wrote to Micheal Jackson in early 1990s and never got a response

I’m glad he died!

[bold]Justice4R34

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2023 4:29 AM

When I was in second grade the class was told to write letters to famous people. I think half the class didn't quite get it and wrote ones to the deceased. Regardless, I had fallen in love with this cartoon strip called Peanuts and so I wrote to Charles Schultz and asked him how he got his ideas -- I have no idea how anyone knew his address -- maybe we sent it to the newspaper the comic appeared in? -- but a month later I received a lovely, surprisingly long letter from him talking about his inspirations and thanking me for being his fan. I still have the letter, framed.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2023 4:35 AM

I forgot about this. Via mutual friends who suggested , after Jane Connell suffered a stroke, that she would enjoy get well cards etc and gave out her address. I had a couple rare live recordings and some video appearances from fund raising events that I thought she may or may not even be aware existed. Put together a little package and sent them with a card and got the loveliest letter from her husband Gordon.He said she actually was able to smile and react even though she could no longer speak and that I gave that dear crazy little soul (who was so much a part of my childhood) that pleasure did warm my heart.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2023 4:36 AM

Love both your stories, R17 and R51.

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2023 4:45 AM

R50, before the internet I recall directories in libraries that had addresses to contact famous people, likely through their representatives/agents, and public officials.

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2023 4:49 AM

R46, I has menstrual cramps that day!

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2023 4:49 AM

Jodie got all upset..

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2023 4:50 AM

Back in the early 90s, I was Mayor of a small town in the UK. Each year there was a civic dinner, where the great and the good would attend and after the meal there would be speeches and toasts. The most important would be to The Queen. Well I wrote to Buckingham Palace to explain that the loyal toast would be proposed to The Queen. A few days later I received a telegram, (Yes, Buckingham Palace still sent telegrams back then) from The Queen's Private Secretary telling me that The Queen was pleased to hear of our best wishes and sent her's to the town and it's people. I still have the telegram. It's a prize possession.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2023 4:57 AM

Yes, I wrote a fan letter to Nancy Lee Grahn when she was on Santa Barbara. Everyone at my high school (boys and girls) raced home to watch it. I got a signed photo and I was pretty happy with that.

by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2023 4:59 AM

I sent one to Linda Blair when she was still making TV movies (I hadn't seen "The Exorcist" yet). I got a nice handwritten note from some underling and encouragement to see her next movie "Exorcist II".

by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2023 5:04 AM

I wrote to Sally Ross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2023 5:04 AM

R57, I was fresh and not suffering from menstrual cramps that day.

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2023 5:09 AM

In the 70's I wrote Lucille Ball, Mae West, and Carol Burnett. All of them replied with autographed photos. I asked Carol if I could be on her show, and the signed reply was a kind no, but she gave me advice on how to study for a career in show business (which luckily for audiences everywhere, I never pursued). I still have the all of the pictures, and the letter from Carol.

by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2023 5:29 AM

R34 if you spelled his name as “Micheal” I’m not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2023 5:40 AM

Many years ago I wrote to my favorite cartoonist and a few weeks later I received a personalized cartoon from her with the character’s talk bubble responding to my comments. I had it professionally framed.

by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2023 6:19 AM

I am NOT one of your F A N S!!

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2023 6:23 AM

I wrote to Bonnie Franklin in 1975 asking her for the secret to her success.

I never heard back. :-(

by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2023 6:34 AM

Do TV reality show participants count? I've had correspondence from several of them.

by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2023 6:34 AM

W/W for R26.

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2023 7:06 AM

R7 "had" or "hadn't"?

by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2023 7:45 AM

[quote] When I was in second grade the class was told to write letters to famous people. I think half the class didn't quite get it and wrote ones to the deceased.

St. Olaf?

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2023 7:52 AM

yes to jd salinger (catcher in the rye author), he wrote me the most beautiful romantic letter in return.

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2023 8:03 AM

Yes. To Abraham Lincoln in my early teens. But never got a response.

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2023 8:09 AM

Yes, to the folk singer Chad Mitchell. When he wrote back he actually apologized for taking so long, as he and his wife had moved in the interim!

by Anonymousreply 72January 19, 2023 8:50 AM

I wrote to Robin Williams fan club during my Mork and Mindy fervor of 1979. Someone wrote back. A nice postcard of Williams as Mork, the card said “Shazbot and nanoo nanoo” or whatever and was signed Robin Williams. I still have it.

by Anonymousreply 73January 19, 2023 10:56 AM

I once mailed a red ribbon to Deidre Hall and asked if she’d wear it on tv to support breast cancer. She sent it back and wrote “shove it up your ass.” The the next thing I knew she made a public statement about it. It unleashed a long and slow burn that still rears its ugly head years later.

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2023 11:12 AM

[quote] Yes, to Beverly Sills . . . not for her personal performance, but for a wonderful double-bill performance of her company combining the opera Dido and Aeneas and the ballet Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme with Peter Martins dancing. She wrote me back, longhand, a most gracious and spirited note.

Not a fan letter but I have a great Beverly Sills autograph story. I was an extra at the NYC Opera when it toured to DC. When I was in the dressing room, Beverly Sills, then the General Manager of the NYC Opera, stopped by. She was funny and kind. I asked for her autograph on a program, but all we could find was an eyeliner. So she signed with an eyeliner and said, "That won't last long!"

It HAS lasted almost 40 years. I put plastic wrap on top of it and have kept it in a file.

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2023 12:33 PM

I wrote a letter to Billy Joel in the late 80’s and invited him to my 7th birthday party. My mom got his address from an NYPD cop she knew and sent it off.

He did not attend my party, but he did send me an autographed black and white photo and wrote ‘Happy Birthday [redacted]! Have a Great Day!

I was happy with that.

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2023 12:48 PM

Not exactly a fan letter, but I wrote a letter to Pauline Kael, care of the New Yorker, and asked her what she thought of the movie "Jesus of Montreal". She wrote back a nice letter, saying she didn't have an opportunity to see it when it was playing in New York.

by Anonymousreply 77January 19, 2023 1:19 PM

Yes. To an Olympic eventing rider. I got an amazing and encouraging reply to stay in school because I wanted to work in veterinary medicine even then (I was 14) and was advised I can still be involved with the sport and that there should be more veterinarians competing in the sport.

by Anonymousreply 78January 19, 2023 3:50 PM

When she was a kid, she looked up swimmer Diana Nyad in the phone book, called her up, and had a fun conversation

by Anonymousreply 79January 19, 2023 4:15 PM

I got a DM response from Matt Bomer on Twitter once. It was about a teen fan of his in India who was threatening to kill himself. He wrote back an encouraging message for me to send to him.

by Anonymousreply 80January 19, 2023 4:23 PM

Miss Smith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 19, 2023 4:59 PM

I wrote a letter to Miss Joan of Romper Room, circa 1957.

She replied and sent a coloring book and a "I am Romper Room Do Bee" button along with the letter.

My one and only brush with fame.

by Anonymousreply 82January 19, 2023 5:04 PM

[quote] I once mailed a red ribbon to Deidre Hall and asked if she’d wear it on tv to support breast cancer. She sent it back and wrote “shove it up your ass.” The the next thing I knew she made a public statement about it. It unleashed a long and slow burn that still rears its ugly head years later.

I have so many questions, but let’s start with what was her public statement? Did she call you out by name?

by Anonymousreply 83January 19, 2023 5:27 PM

R82, did you grow up in or around New York? I remember Miss Joan on Romper Room around that time, too. And you remind me that Uncle Fred Sayles used to display my drawings on Junior Frolics (channel 13).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 19, 2023 5:31 PM

i was DMd by a famous hot actor. i was freaked but responded,. he kept asking for fotos and stuff....so fun

by Anonymousreply 85January 19, 2023 5:47 PM

No, R84. This was in St. Louis. Romper Room was on KTVI, Channel 2 (The ABC Network affiliate at the time).

IIRC, the show was a franchise and a lot of cities had their own version of the show that was produced locally.

by Anonymousreply 86January 19, 2023 6:16 PM

I remember her, and her successor, R82/R86.

You may be interested in this, if you can see it on Facebook. Sorry for this link - I don't do Facebook myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 19, 2023 6:23 PM

Also, Miss Lois, RIP, of KTVI "Romper Room." I didn't like her as much as I did Miss Joan (Jane Pirtie).

It's a Fox station and so is the link station in Peoria. Cringing, but she was from there and did the local show there until moving to St. Louis.

by Anonymousreply 88January 19, 2023 6:28 PM

As long as we're going down Memory Lane, R87/R88, do you remember Popeye cartoons on Cookie and the Captain on Channel 4? Captain 11 and JoJo showing the Three Stooges on KPLR (who the hell thought it would be a good idea to let that old drunk Harry Fender around kids?). Corky the Clown on Channel 5?

My older sister and her Brownie troop were on the Texas Bruce and the Wrangler's Club show on Channel 5 on Christmas Eve, 1956. The troop from Immaculate Heart of Mary parish school included most of the girls in our development off Morganford Road, so the entire neighborhood was gathered around a neighbor's TV set to watch. Sadly, I think that is my sister's only brush with fame.

Hasta la vista, vaquero!

by Anonymousreply 89January 19, 2023 7:03 PM

Never.

by Anonymousreply 90January 19, 2023 7:08 PM

Yeah, I wrote a gushing fan letter to AM Homes on her website. She actually responded twice! I also wrote to Barbara Ehrenreich through her site (the same night as I was bored and sober and living in Maine) and she replied once. Both were polite and courteous and though it was a positive experience for me, that was the last time I reached out to someone famous.

by Anonymousreply 91January 19, 2023 7:28 PM

When I was little, I wrote a letter to Dear Abby. My question wasn't published, but I did get a response letter from her (or her staff).

I also wrote a letter to Herb Caen (San Francisco columnist), taking issue with one of his columns. He wrote back and acknowledged the points I had made. Very gracious.

by Anonymousreply 92January 19, 2023 7:57 PM

This does suddenly remind me that I did write to Eartha Kitt after seeing her cabaret act at the Café Carlyle. I don’t even remember her songs so much… it was more the impact of seeing someone with 70-odd years of experience and technique perform for an hour a few feet away. Just this deep, rich history being drawn on and played out in front of you.

She wrote back on a postcard from the Concord. I guess when she flies it she swipes a couple extra (as her engagement was still playing in town at the time.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 19, 2023 8:17 PM

I love this thread.

As a young gayling, I also wrote to Carol Burnett. I also wrote about being on her show. And I also got a typed form letter back. It was still exciting. It has embossed letter head from the show. I wish I still had it.

The second one was to Bernadette Peters(how in the world did my parents not know was gay?). I got a lovely handwritten letter back.

by Anonymousreply 94January 19, 2023 8:38 PM

R78, did you end up in veterinary medicine after all?

by Anonymousreply 95January 19, 2023 11:07 PM

[quote] When she was a kid, she looked up swimmer Diana Nyad in the phone book, called her up, and had a fun conversation

Who was “she”?

by Anonymousreply 96January 19, 2023 11:08 PM

R77 - re Pauline Kael. In the 1980s I wrote to her c/ The New Yorker to say I was having trouble finding one of her books and she replied sending me a copy. After that every time she published a book she would send me a copy. She was very generous. The books were always autographed but I could see her handwriting get weaker as her Parkinsons set in.

by Anonymousreply 97January 19, 2023 11:21 PM

Yes, to Maureen McCormick when I was 10 or 11.

by Anonymousreply 98January 19, 2023 11:27 PM

I sent a birthday card to Troy Aikman once and got stuff to join his fan club. Which I did. 😛

by Anonymousreply 99January 19, 2023 11:31 PM

R99, did you stuff Troy Aikman?

by Anonymousreply 100January 19, 2023 11:33 PM

Yes to Grassle.

by Anonymousreply 101January 19, 2023 11:37 PM

Yes, and I'm still embarrassed by it. She put a halt to her career a few years later. I never got a response.

by Anonymousreply 102January 19, 2023 11:38 PM

I wrote Hal Prince a letter telling him how much I loved the FOLLIES recording and that I wouldn't be able to see the show but that it seemed wonderful. I got a signed note back from him thanking me and saying it was too bad that I wouldn't get to see it but the recording would give me some idea of it. I put it in my FOLLIES scrapbook.

by Anonymousreply 103January 19, 2023 11:45 PM

Follies!

by Anonymousreply 104January 19, 2023 11:52 PM

Nancy Frangione the one, the only Cecile DePoulignac.

by Anonymousreply 105January 19, 2023 11:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 20, 2023 12:10 AM

I have actually-

Dear Mr. Gable, I am writing this to you,

and I hope that you will read it, so you'll know...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 20, 2023 12:22 AM

R2 I should have written to Liz!

I wrote Marj Dusay.

by Anonymousreply 108January 20, 2023 12:31 AM

[r17] thank you for your story. You said subsequent experiences with her weren’t as great. What happened?

I’ve met her 4 times and tried to get a picture with her each time and she has declined every time. She’s always been generous with autographs..but I get the whole mixed bag thing with her.

by Anonymousreply 109January 20, 2023 12:38 AM

Yes, back in 1981 when I was a little girl in the 3rd grade to the singer Vicki Carr. I grew up near the Tex Mex border and the inhabitants of my town was about 90% Mexican American. My teacher made an assignment for us to write to a famous Mexican American. He put up several pics to choose from. Ms Carr was the only female and I thought she was so pretty. I wrote a few lines and told her I liked her a lot and told her how pretty she is. Mind you I've never heard of her before. A few weeks later I got an 8 by 10 picture signed by her. Totally wasn't expecting that! It was really sweet of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 20, 2023 1:05 AM

Oh yes. I wrote quite a few, back in the 1980s, to older movie stars. Elizabeth Taylor (of course), Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Vincent Price, Angie Dickinson, etc. I received autographed letters and photos. They were so gracious and I'm still thrilled to have them.

by Anonymousreply 111January 20, 2023 1:56 AM

Yes, I wrote one to Ace of Base back in the day :D

by Anonymousreply 112January 20, 2023 1:59 AM

Lots.

by Anonymousreply 113January 20, 2023 2:01 AM

I'm reminded of two times when I was in an online chatroom (remember those?) dedicated to theatre. There was a lot of discussion about Stephen Fry suddenly dropping out of a West End show and out of sight. Fry was known to frequent that board/room, and people were saying some pretty shitty things. I wrote a defense, saying that no one had any facts and that the speculation was cruel and unnecessary. I was surprised to get a private message from him, thanking me and telling me where he was and what was going on. Of course, I didn't believe it was him -until the next day his official statement appeared and corroborated what he had said to me the day before.

Similarly, someone was bashing a Broadway actor who happens to be a friend of mine, and with whom I had worked in several shows. I wrote back that the poster was full of shit and couldn't possibly know him because he's actually a very sweet and down-to-earth guy. A couple of days later I got an email from Lea Salonga (the original Miss Saigon) who had worked with my friend on that show and in Les Miz. She was very sweet and said I was a good friend to stand up for him like that. We actually traded emails for a little while.

Celebrities do, from time to time, visit boards like these!

by Anonymousreply 114January 20, 2023 2:21 AM

I also wrote Fifi d'Orsay twice and she responded back with two notes on postcards. I don't know why I didn't write Ethel Shutta. My best friend Mark did and he got a signed photo back from her. I had her represented in my scrapbook with this sheet music...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 20, 2023 2:21 AM

From Jennifer Lawrence website under the heading "Fan Mail"

Due to the overwhelming volume in fan mail and Jennifer’s desire to answer all her fans, we Need your Help! Please send a self addressed stamped envelope (minimum size 8.5″ x 4″) with your request letter and include the photograph or item that you want autographed.

You can include a piece of cardboard to keep the photo from bending in shipping and also add “Please Do Not Bend” on the envelopes.

If you have sent Jennifer fan mail in the past but failed to include a self addressed stamped envelope, please resend your request so she can get back to you.

by Anonymousreply 116January 20, 2023 2:25 AM

cheap ass cunt

by Anonymousreply 117January 20, 2023 2:31 AM

I've written a letter to Diddy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 20, 2023 2:34 AM

[quote]Did you ever write a fan letter?

Why, yes, sir. On the side opposite the pretty flowers, sir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 20, 2023 3:10 AM

I sent a fan letter as a boy to Ron Husman. I got nothing back but an 8x10 with a signature. I was kind of hurt. No best wishes no glad you enjoyed the show. Guess he could tell this kid was besotted with him and he was disgusted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 20, 2023 7:29 AM

Oh, God yes. In the 60's and the early 70's it was definitely a thing to do! And while I don't recall getting actual, personalized letters back, you almost always got autographed glossy photos. Rock stars, sports stars, TV personalities.

A notable one was The Doors - I got a picture of the band signed by all four (not mimeographed, either - the ball-point pen ink made its impression through onto the back). I still have that one framed now - and it was last appraised at a couple thousand $$.

Another notable one was Roberto Clemente of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I received an autographed photo from him, too. He then died in the plane crash about 2 weeks after I received the reply. I'm crushed that I lost track of that photo. I believe it was stashed along with my childhood memorabilia - most of which got washed away in Superstorm Sandy. If I had it today, it would be worth a few thousand $$

by Anonymousreply 121January 20, 2023 8:01 AM

[quote] Who was “she”? (referring to R79)

Sorry, in my haste, I left out that the "she" was my sister

by Anonymousreply 122January 20, 2023 12:45 PM

I was such a music dork. In high school I wrote a fan letter to John Mauceri, the conductor at the Kennedy Center. He wrote back a lovely letter

by Anonymousreply 123January 20, 2023 12:46 PM

I taught 9th grade English. One of the assignments was to write to someone ( anyone in the world) with a question or comment to see who responded. Interesting as to who actually did. The first response came from Mark Hamill, followed by Bob Saget, and Margaret Thatcher. Usually, the bigger the star, the less likely a response. One kid wrote to a pro football player and got a response from his wife who said that her husband was unable to read well, so she was responding. He was an all-pro.

by Anonymousreply 124January 20, 2023 1:48 PM

[quote]cheap ass cunt

Now, R117, no need to put yourself down. Miss Lawrence is under no obligation to supply her fans with photos or postage.

by Anonymousreply 125January 20, 2023 2:32 PM

R124 Margaret Thatcher! She had time to respond?

Did she sign her name "Hateful Destructive Cunt?"

by Anonymousreply 126January 20, 2023 2:37 PM

I used to work at a studio where a soap opera was taped and I was walking by one of the top stars of the show's dressing room.

STACKS of letters and the rumor was that this particular star never wrote back to anyone.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 127January 21, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote] STACKS of letters and the rumor was that this particular star never wrote back to anyone.

Why I will not respond to fan letters.

by Anonymousreply 128January 21, 2023 3:43 AM

If you're not going to name the name, r127, keep your story to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 129January 21, 2023 3:44 AM

R129, um yeah because people always give ALL the details on the DL.

Honestly, her not answering the letters may have been just a rumor. It would be irresponsible to label her as a flake when that may not be the truth.

R128, cute...I will say it was NOT D. Hall.

by Anonymousreply 130January 21, 2023 3:59 AM

Who is top billed on that program?

by Anonymousreply 131January 21, 2023 4:01 AM

As a child of the 90’s, I used to write fan emails and I actually got responses from the people I wrote (especially during the late 90’s and early 00’s). Among the people who replied were:

Anderson Cooper - I complimented him during a period he had been filling in for Aaron Brown on CNN. He was very kind in his response.

Michelle Stafford (Phyllis on Y&R) - She had just returned to Y&R and I wrote to say how excited I was, because her character had been one of my favorites. She was nice and even funny…but learning she’s a Scientologist was a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 132January 21, 2023 4:05 AM

I wrote to Ethan Mordden after reading Buddies. It was the late 80's and his work was very inspiring to me. I was moving from Alaska to New Jersey at the time - and his response was quiet friendly, but pretty much along the lines of "Alaska? New Jersey?... you poor thing." I was thrilled to get the response - signed "Bud," of course.

by Anonymousreply 133January 21, 2023 8:22 AM

How do you respond to stacks of letters when you've got a job? I've never understood this. I find responding to one a pain in the ass. And who wants to receive an acknowledgment from a secretary who forges the person's name?

by Anonymousreply 134January 21, 2023 10:14 AM

[quote] How do you respond to stacks of letters when you've got a job?

They hire a secretary, dictate the response to that secretary, who then types it up and submits it for signature

by Anonymousreply 135January 21, 2023 10:46 AM

Who also sometimes gets her face slashed. See Maureen Stapleton in The Fan

by Anonymousreply 136January 21, 2023 11:04 AM

R135 Did you read my post? Your comprehension abilities need some work. I already said they use a secretary. And you are very very naive. If they are a big star with a ton of mail they are not going to be dictating letters and signing their responses. The signatures are forged by a secretary. Or like the soap star completely ignored.

by Anonymousreply 137January 21, 2023 11:38 AM

I wrote to Alicia Minshew, Kendall #2 on All My Children, and she wrote back with a very kind personal note. That’s the last one I ever sent, and I can’t even remember what moved me to send it.

The only non-soap person I’ve written to is artist/writer Terry Moore to tell him how much his Strangers in Paradise series had meant to me. Lovely response from him. Met him a few years later..super nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 138January 21, 2023 1:10 PM

I've mentioned this story on DL before...

After reading his novel 'Good Times/Bad Times', I wrote a fan letter to James Kirkwood. I received a very nice note in response.

Years later - this is the short version - I was friends with a writer from Atlanta who had hosted a cocktail party for Kirkwood when he was on a book tour - I think it was for 'P.S. Your Cat is Dead'. This friend came to NYC to visit me, and while in NYC, Kirkwood invited us both for drinks. I'm pretty sure Kirkwood lived in Lincoln Towers. While having drinks at his apartment, I sheepishly explained to Kirkwood that I had written him a fan letter. He got up, went into (what I believe was) his bedroom and returned with the letter I had written him.

I have no idea how he was able to do that, unless he had all his fan letters sorted alphabetically. I don't remember now if I even asked him how. I was rather star-struck.

He was very gracious that night (and was also very good looking.) It's one of my favorite memories.

I saw him again, years later, one afternoon at the 'Swamp' in the Hamptons on Long Island in NY. I didn't have the balls to interrupt him; he was surrounded by golden boys.

by Anonymousreply 139January 21, 2023 2:06 PM

Not everyone has a secretary forge their name. It’s not that hard to just sign a stack of pre-typed letters.

by Anonymousreply 140January 21, 2023 2:59 PM

Don’t argue with r135. His only connection to fan mail is having watched Mommie Dearest thirty-seven times.

by Anonymousreply 141January 21, 2023 3:49 PM

Margaret Snatcher. I asked her how often she shaved her snatch

by Anonymousreply 142January 21, 2023 8:29 PM

Alright moron you're getting on my nerves. Did I say everyone? No. I said those who get A LOT of mail. You think movie stars, TV stars including soap stars are dictating fan mail responses and signing them? You'd have to be an idiot to think that.

And yes a lot of those signatures are forgeries if they aren't out and out rubber stamped. You must have a huge collection of big star letters and autographs that are worthless.

by Anonymousreply 143January 21, 2023 11:53 PM

[quote] Alright moron you're getting on my nerves

What a pissy little bitch you are

by Anonymousreply 144January 21, 2023 11:57 PM

I wrote to Joyce DeWitt about 15 years ago and got a nice autographed photo back. Such a class act.

by Anonymousreply 145January 22, 2023 12:01 AM

Rosanna Arquette wrote one to Holly Hunter. Holly says it is the only one she ever got. See 28.15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146January 22, 2023 12:13 AM

I sat on a copier once and sent a fanny letter.

Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 147January 22, 2023 12:33 AM

Via facsimile, R147?

by Anonymousreply 148January 22, 2023 12:35 AM

[quote] They hire a secretary, dictate the response to that secretary, who then types it up and submits it for signature

Back in the 90s there were actually companies that dealt with fan mail for stars. All fan mail would go directly to the company, not the star, and the company would send a form letter with a printed signature back to the letter writer

The star would never see the fan mail, nor be bothered or kept up to date on how much or how little mail they got - out of sight, out of mind

They paid a monthly fee, and wouldn't have to deal with any fan mail ever again.

by Anonymousreply 149January 22, 2023 12:38 AM

[quote] out of sight, out of mind

These stars don't see fan mail as real mail. Because their minds, these letter writers are responding to the character they are playing. They are not responding to them as a person, because people who see them on TV don't know them.

So to them, fan mail is not real mail. Either ignore it, throw it in the garbage, or hire companies to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 150January 22, 2023 12:40 AM

Jeanne Cooper (Kay Chancellor, Young & Restless) was very good about fan requests. My friend used to work in a hotel and he said one of the housekeepers was a huge fan of Cooper / Y&R. Cooper was a guest of the hotel and somehow that housekeeper got to meet and talk with Jeanne. Next thing you know, the housekeeper received a cast photo (Y&R) signed by all of the Y&R cast.

by Anonymousreply 151January 22, 2023 12:44 AM

The letter went to Robert Goulet, R148. If I sent it by facsimile they'd have checked at my office, and Bob would have had my number.

We were trying to keep things quiet at the time.

by Anonymousreply 152January 22, 2023 12:48 AM

I wrote to Marjorie Mains. I told her how she was my idol and I look like her

by Anonymousreply 153January 22, 2023 12:56 AM

How many Marjorie Mains did you write to, r153?

by Anonymousreply 154January 22, 2023 1:24 AM

The one who worked at Walmarts

by Anonymousreply 155January 22, 2023 1:26 AM

I liked her as Ma Kettles.

by Anonymousreply 156January 22, 2023 1:30 AM

I wrote to Bette Davis when I was in high school. I sent her a pencil drawing I made of her in The Petrified Forest (haha. I really did). A few weeks later, a big manilla envelope arrived with a photo autographed to me. It was a photo of a painting of her. There were a lot of stamps on the envelope and it was addressed to me and had the return address (in Bel Air). It was all in her handwriting. No note, but she took the time to do that.

I had a piece of sheet music from The Glenn Miller Story, so I sent it to June Allyson to sign, as well as a lobby card from The Stratton Story. She signed them both. The sheet music had a photo of her and Jimmy Stewart, and she signed it over her head, then drew a heart next to Jimmy.

When I was about 16 I saw Van Johnson in a play in Ogunquit and wrote him a short letter - he sent me back a photo autographed in red magic marker with a smilie face and a "Happy Thoughts" written under it.

I also wrote to Lauren Bacall - never heard back.

by Anonymousreply 157January 22, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote] When I was about 16 I saw Van Johnson

Golden Age Hollywood Queen Van Johnson

by Anonymousreply 158January 22, 2023 2:12 AM

R158 No, the other Van Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 159January 22, 2023 2:15 AM

Minshew is known for being extremely nice as is co-star from AMC Cameron Mathison.

Posters above who said that they use a secretary are correct.

I knew a young woman who worked for numerous soap stars on west coast shows (not the actress with stacks of mail, possibly unanswered.)

The assistant opens the letters, reads them, drafts a response, the star signs and off the letters and signed photos go...the assistant told me she'd flag certain letters...if a fan was terminal, very elderly, was an exceptionally long time fan...occasionally, the actor would reach out with a phone call. I forget what the going rate was...a buck a letter? .50?

Yes, this is a time and money commitment for the actor. But the assistant helps cut down on the time. As far as the money's concerned, no, you can't place a monetary reward for the star...but if they ever need fans to speak up for them come renewal time, then a few letters back to a person over the years is suddenly gold to them.

by Anonymousreply 160January 22, 2023 2:24 AM

R134 / R137 / R143 , etc, is one bitter queen who didn't get ANY of her letters answered.

by Anonymousreply 161January 22, 2023 2:37 AM

[quote]r157 I also wrote to Lauren Bacall - never heard back.

Typical.

by Anonymousreply 162January 22, 2023 2:42 AM

I once had a hookup with a guy who had a wall display of autographed pics of movie stars. It was like a home version of Sardi's. I forget what the sex was like.

by Anonymousreply 163January 22, 2023 2:43 AM

[quote] I also wrote to Lauren Bacall - never heard back.

Perhaps your letter arrived on Tuesday morning when she was busy shopping?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 22, 2023 2:44 AM

[quote]I also wrote to Lauren Bacall - never heard back.

She knew...you'd smear!

by Anonymousreply 165January 22, 2023 2:51 AM

Her professional advice is: Get off your Hmm and Go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166January 22, 2023 3:11 AM

When I was younger I volunteered to helped read and respond to letters sent to one of the most famous people in the world.

A lot of the responses were based on templates depending on the subject matter, but significantly poignant letters were set aside for a personal response.

by Anonymousreply 167January 22, 2023 9:12 AM

R161 thinks his autographed pictures of David Cassidy and Donny Osmond which he received from their fan clubs 50 years ago are real.

by Anonymousreply 168January 22, 2023 10:24 AM

An actress told me her agent had a special assistant for her fan mail. This was no doubt due to the actress playing an iconic character in a film. Unfortunately she also got a stalker.

by Anonymousreply 169January 22, 2023 10:28 AM

Lauren Bacall didn’t answer you back because Maureen Stapleton ripped up the letter before it got her!

by Anonymousreply 170January 22, 2023 11:48 AM

[quote] [R161] thinks his autographed pictures of David Cassidy and Donny Osmond which he received from their fan clubs 50 years ago are real.

Watch out. R168 is getting annoyed again

And you know what happens when she gets annoyed!

by Anonymousreply 171January 22, 2023 12:31 PM

[quote] And you know what happens when she gets annoyed!

She whines like a little baby?

by Anonymousreply 172January 22, 2023 12:31 PM

I guess if it is an "important" celebrity they may not personally respond or sign things, but when they're old (in the case of June Allyson, for instance, who was in her 80s, and lived in Ojai with her husband, a dentist), I doubt she had a secretary. As for Bette Davis, while it's possible someone could have forged the signature and message, the signature and writing were identical to her handwriting I found elsewhere...and it seems unlikely a secretary would then go on to forge Bette's handwriting on the envelope, both the address and the return address! As for Van Johnson, I had an autographed program from the play, also in red marker, since I met him afterwards, and the writing was identical to the signature and writing on the photo (and a short note he sent about a play he was going to be doing).

Starngely enough I think if you have a good eye and good instincts, you can tell when a star really responds in a personal way, and when it's just a secretary or factotum.

by Anonymousreply 173January 22, 2023 4:55 PM

*Er, strangely

by Anonymousreply 174January 22, 2023 4:56 PM

I wrote many fan letters in my youth. A few I remember- the first one a I wrote was to Kathy Garver. She sent an autographed photo as did Patty Duke. I wrote to Michelle Lee when she was in "Seesaw" and she sent a photo plus a very nice letter where she talked about the things I wrote. I wrote to Cathy Rigby who answered my letter with one of her own. In my letter, I mentioned how I thought she looked like Ann-Margret. Many years later I waited on her when she was staying at the hotel where I worked. I mentioned my letter and she remembered it because no one had ever said that to her.

by Anonymousreply 175January 22, 2023 5:48 PM

She looks like she could eat an apple through a chainlink fence. Talk about a toothsome woman 😬

by Anonymousreply 176January 22, 2023 5:52 PM

I don't see the resemblance between Cathy Rigby and Ann-Margret.

by Anonymousreply 177January 22, 2023 5:52 PM

I was 10, R177, what can I say?

I forgot one! I think I've told this story on DL before. So in college, my BFF and I got drunk and wrote a letter to Edie McClurg. We told her we were drunk and we included Polaroid photos of ourselves. Several weeks later we both got photos and letters where she told us that she loved all of her fans, "...even the drunk ones!..."

by Anonymousreply 178January 22, 2023 6:03 PM

Do people still write to stars or do they just email or try to contact them through FB, Twitter, or Instagram?

by Anonymousreply 179January 22, 2023 7:09 PM

I was really into Bollywood for a while and I contacted all sorts of Indian actors on Facebook. Even the big name ones responded, all of them amazed that an American was watching their films. My favorite was Himanshu Malik - he was such a hunk back then. I even told him I was gay and would happily watch a movie of him walking back and forth and he thought that was funny.

by Anonymousreply 180January 22, 2023 7:43 PM

I have often attended the Palm Springs Film Festival when either the directors or stars of the films are available for Q and As after the films. If I like the film, especially one of the gay-themed films, I have looked up the people who impressed me (either the actor or director) and have sent off emails thanking them for having made the film. Generally I receive an email reply. None of these people are world-famous, and most of the films are independent films, generally low-budget. I think the recipients of my emails are grateful that someone watched and enjoyed. In my experience, performers are eager for feedback and everyone can use an ego-boost now and then.

by Anonymousreply 181January 22, 2023 8:38 PM

R168 needs a signature ... on a meds Rx.

I can't imagine living with so much rage and venom.

by Anonymousreply 182January 22, 2023 9:57 PM

R182 I can't imagine living with your profound stupidity and naiveite. Are you still writing letters to the Charlie's Angels fan clubs at the age of 72 poor dear and thinking those signatures on the photos are real?

by Anonymousreply 183January 23, 2023 2:02 AM

The Must-Have-The-Last-Word Troll is alive and well - and making a silly fool of herself!

by Anonymousreply 184January 23, 2023 4:34 AM

To Whom It May Concern,

It's a mystery. It's a mystery. My asshole is a mystery to me. It's a mystery to me.

by Anonymousreply 185January 23, 2023 10:22 AM

In 1982, Bette Davis visited Tower Records in Westwood for an album signing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186January 24, 2023 8:26 PM

R186 one of the worst albums ever recorded

by Anonymousreply 187January 24, 2023 9:08 PM

No but I once worked with a woman who sent Margaret Hamilton one when she was a young girl and she received "a beautiful autographed photo" of her. I told her she was being generous calling her beautiful and she got pissed off at me.

by Anonymousreply 188January 24, 2023 9:42 PM

R188 the woman must have had a lesbian thing for ugly women.

by Anonymousreply 189January 24, 2023 10:01 PM

R157, I had a black and white glamor photo of Lauren Bacall. I mailed it to her, and asked her to sign it. I enclosed a fan letter and a self enclosed stamped envelope. She mailed back the photo with her autograph. I was thrilled.

Then came Datalounge...

by Anonymousreply 190January 24, 2023 10:17 PM

Many. Here are some:

Barney Frank- wrote to him after 9/11/01 and he called me immediately. We hooked up in DC. He also came to NYC and I took him to The Producers. We also went to closing night of Outfest in LA a couple years later. Once he got married, we drifted apart.

Victor Garber- wanted to hook up with him. After sending letter, I marched up to his Damn Yankees dressing room and no on stopped me. I asked him out and he said he was busy.

Nathan Lane- offered to give him a blowjob. He declined.

Erin Torpey- I was impressed she was on OLTL and in THE GOODBYE GIRL at the same time. She sent me an autographed photo that said “Keep smiling!”

Papa Joe Chevalier (national sports talk radio host)- after sending it, I would call in a lot and we would flirt. Then he came to NYC and we had a one night stand.

Half the cast of SEUSSICAL- not sure why but I brought congratulations cards to the theater on closing night. Men and women.

Some famous artist- I can’t remember his name. I saw him in a documentary and thought he was hot. We hooked up,

I’m friends with Stephan Fry by the way. We worked on the same TV show but had no scenes together. Still we contacted each other and have stayed in touch though it’s been a couple years since last contact. He said he wanted to be my boyfriend but by that time he was married. We did not hook up.

There are others.

by Anonymousreply 191January 24, 2023 10:41 PM

R188, that was bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 192January 24, 2023 10:47 PM

When I was 17 I wrote a fan letter to Paul McCartney during the Beatlemania years. Needless to say he never wrote back. That was the one and only fan letter I ever wrote to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 193March 1, 2023 6:11 AM

No mention of me? Other than the utterly calumniating R141, as I do all of my own typing, and you should all know better.

by Anonymousreply 194March 1, 2023 7:59 AM

I got a signed publicity card and handwritten letter from Mark Conroy, gorgeous hunk from 80's Australian soap Sons & Daughters

by Anonymousreply 195March 1, 2023 8:12 AM

[quote]R194 I do all of my own typing, and you should all know better. —Joan Crawford

Another cunting lie from The Whore of Lies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 1, 2023 8:56 AM

I wrote to Beverly Sills enthusing about a wonderful combined bill opera/ballet of DIdo and Aeneas and Le Bourgois Gentilhomme put on by the NYCO at the Music Center in Los Angeles. She wrote back a very warm signed note, in longhand.

I wrote to Balanchine not really a fan letter but something related to the creative side of Ballet asking for his perspective. I promptly received in answer a very nice letter from his assistant saying in effect that he had asked Balanchine about the matter "and Mr. Balanchine personally advises you . . . "

by Anonymousreply 197December 30, 2023 10:44 PM

[quote]R127 STACKS of letters and the rumor was that this particular star never wrote back to anyone. Sad.

Answering fan mail opens the door to stalkers.

by Anonymousreply 198December 30, 2023 10:57 PM

Yes, back in my teen years of soap fandom, I wrote Julianne Moore, Seriously, when she was in ATWT and she wrote me back a lovely 2-page letter, and two autographed 8x10 photos. Fan for life!

I also wrote Kate Collins and Ruth Warrick from AMC. Got a small note from Kate but NOTHING from Ms. Warrick. Until YEARS later, I was living on my own but a letter from her showed up at my parents’ house. Ruth said she’d fired her long time secretary and found that the secretary had been stashing unanswered fan mail for years, and Ruth was going through them all and responding. I still remember that she wrote, “Imagine my embarrassment!!” in the letter. I could just hear Phoebe Wallingford saying that—she should have called the fired secretary a STRUMPET!!

Sadly, it seems I lost all the letters in one of my moves over the years. :-(

by Anonymousreply 199December 30, 2023 11:04 PM

R2, but saw Judith Chapman in August, Osage County a few years back — she was phenomenal. I wrote her a card; sent it to the playhouse in Palm Springs. I never heard back, but I’m still glad I wrote her. She’s underrated, in my opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 30, 2023 11:07 PM

Oh shit, I didn’t realize I’d already replied to this thread 🤣

by Anonymousreply 201December 30, 2023 11:10 PM

In 1981, “Dynamite” magazine (remember that?) posted the address on how to reach Melissa Gilbert and I wrote her. I got back a nice form letter (addressed to “My Friend”) and two photos - one of the TV Ingalls family and one of her that was printed with the signature already on it. Failed the wet test.

by Anonymousreply 202December 30, 2023 11:13 PM

I also wrote to Dear Abby when I was nine. It wasn’t a letter asking for advice, rather, I wanted to tell her that I read her column in the paper every day and it helped me understand people.A few weeks later, I received a handwritten, hand-addressed reply complete with a handwritten return address. It was lovely. She complimented my grammar and handwriting and she asked me to keep in touch. I hid it from my parents and never told a soul about it, but thereafter I always felt comfort that I had a famous friend.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 203December 30, 2023 11:15 PM

I wrote a letter to Elaine Prince when "One Life to Live" fired her (Robin Strasser wanted to return as Dorian Lord), and she sent me a nice response. I'm sure it was the same response she sent everyone, but it looked like she'd personally signed it. I also sent a letter to John Ingle when "General Hospital" fired him as Edward Quartermaine, same deal.

by Anonymousreply 204December 30, 2023 11:18 PM

Yes OP. To KYLIE!!! And she replied!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 30, 2023 11:23 PM

As a high-schooler in the 80s, I developed a bizarre crush on both Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert of At the Movies. I watched their show religiously; one year, I wrote Roger Ebert a fan letter telling him the show should be longer. He wrote back--a gracious, kind letter, on Kliban cat stationery. When he died, I felt that the world would never be the same.

by Anonymousreply 206December 30, 2023 11:24 PM

Wrote up Alison Bechdel twice, a few years apart. This was in 1992 and 1996, years and years before she finally got recognition. She was basically doing her strip and going around the country with her “Dykes to Watch Out For” slideshow.

She wrote very nice personal replies back each time. In the second letter, she mentioned she was starting work on a graphic novel that became “Fun Home.”

by Anonymousreply 207December 30, 2023 11:38 PM

Yes!

I have received back multiple personalized photographs

I wrote to

Patti LuPone

Bernadette Peters

Betty Buckley

Elaine Stritch

Stephen Sondheim

Helen Mirren

Stockard Channing

(Yes, I’m a Queen)

by Anonymousreply 208December 30, 2023 11:41 PM

I want to write to actors! How do you find their address? I looked online, and multiple addresses show up.

I do want to write to David Hyde Pierce, Victor Garber, and Danny Glover. Maybe even Olympia Snowe.

by Anonymousreply 209December 31, 2023 12:00 AM

I wrote to the guy who played Bulldog on “Frasier ”-Dan Butler. Told him how nice it was to see an out actor on TV. He wrote back the nicest personal letter.

by Anonymousreply 210December 31, 2023 12:18 AM

R9 he never ever saw it

by Anonymousreply 211December 31, 2023 12:24 AM

R209 trust me, they do not want mail from you

by Anonymousreply 212December 31, 2023 12:25 AM

R206 that's not just bizarre it’s fucking weird

by Anonymousreply 213December 31, 2023 12:27 AM

I wrote a letter to Betty Broderick and mailed stamps with the letter and she wrote back. This was about 3 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 214December 31, 2023 12:28 AM

R2 did you think the bitch lived at the playhouse? Talk about a total waste of time and energy

by Anonymousreply 215December 31, 2023 12:29 AM

I wrote a letter to Betty Broderick and mailed stamps with the letter and she kept the stamps and threw my letter in the trash

by Anonymousreply 216December 31, 2023 12:31 AM

I want to harass actors! How do you find their address? I looked online, and multiple times it said “you’re a stalker in wait”

by Anonymousreply 217December 31, 2023 12:34 AM

Yes and yes. To author Marguerite Henry.

by Anonymousreply 218December 31, 2023 12:36 AM

[quote] I wrote a letter to Betty Broderick and mailed stamps with the letter and she wrote back. This was about 3 years ago.

R214, I'm curious about this! What did you two correspond about?

by Anonymousreply 219December 31, 2023 12:38 AM

I wrote a letter to Betty Broderick but I mailed it to Matthew Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 220December 31, 2023 12:40 AM

I wrote to Jonathan Frid (I found him riveting as Barnabas) and Phyllis Diller (I hoped she’d learn to feel better about herself). I’ve forgotten if they responded: I think they did.

by Anonymousreply 221December 31, 2023 12:41 AM

R219 We didn't keep up a correspondence because the Facebook group in support of her said she'll only write you back if you send stamps and there's no way in hell I'm spending that money.

But I wrote her a nice letter in support of her (saying she spent enough time in prison and she should be out) and she sent a short and sweet card that I still have. I found it and will print what she wrote:

"Thank you for the lovely card and book of stamps! Perfect gift! I can always use them! I hate being "73" I was only 35 when this all started! ☹️ You never know where life will take you! Love, Betty"

And she did draw a sad face in there.

by Anonymousreply 222December 31, 2023 12:49 AM

I was teaching formal business letter writing to 9th grade boys. Their assignment was to write a letter to anyone they wanted. We would post any replies on the wall. I told them that asking a question might get a response from the person, not the agency. Unfortunately, most of the people's people didn't bother to respond. However, we got an autographed photo and letter from Mark Hamill, Bob Saget (yep, Bob), and a photo from Margaret Thatcher. Not one of the sports figures bothered to respond, except former pro linebacker London Fletcher, who sent a very nice handwritten note, urging the students to study hard and make good lives for themselves and their families.

by Anonymousreply 223December 31, 2023 12:57 AM

I have some good ones. My nephew was about 7 when Oprah started her syndicated show. He loved her show and wanted to write her a fan letter. I helped him and said he should include his photo to show he really was just a kid. Well, Oprah not only sent him an autographed photo but also a beautiful handwritten letter (in purple ink). I later checked out her signature and sure enough, she did it herself. The letter also said for him to study hard because she likes smart boys.

When I was 16, Pacific Overtures was opening on Broadway on my birthday. I wrangled a trip to New York. I was in high journalism and wrote to Sondheim, Prince, Fosse and Bennett. Prince didn't answer, but the other three not only replied, they agreed to an interview. Fosse was the nicest but Bennett gave me tickets to the premier of ACL at the Shubert in LA about six months later. I still have those interviews somewhere. Sondheim seemed more like a professor who had to tutor his student but was very nice and also got me tickets to the opening of PO. I met Prince at the party and he claimed he never got my letter.

by Anonymousreply 224December 31, 2023 1:25 AM

Don't feel bad, r199 . I did the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 225December 31, 2023 1:41 AM

[quote] "Thank you for the lovely card and book of stamps! Perfect gift! I can always use them! I hate being "73" I was only 35 when this all started! ☹️ You never know where life will take you! Love, Betty"

R222, I wonder if she gets a lot of letters like yours. I think she's nutty and her kids don't even support her. One of them testified against her at the trial.

However, I think Dan, the husband, played with fire. She supported him financially through both medical school and law school. Then he decides he likes his secretary better. Secretary was basically a young version of Betty -- without all Betty's baggage. Baggage that she took on from being Mrs. Dan Broderick.

Then, Dan started "fining" her (during divorce proceedings) for swearing and condescending bullshit like that.

Interesting that she killed both of them.

by Anonymousreply 226December 31, 2023 2:02 AM

I wrote Harold Prince a FOLLIES fan letter.

by Anonymousreply 227December 31, 2023 3:32 AM

I wrote to RuPaul back when his/her career was doing nothing (around 2005) and never got a response. Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 228December 31, 2023 3:49 AM

Does a restraining order count as a response?

by Anonymousreply 229December 31, 2023 4:09 AM

R226 from what I've read on the Facebook page, she gets hundreds of letters, and a few marriage proposals. Even though I agree that she's nutty, I think Dan made her that way.

I do believe she's served enough time. A lot of murderers get off in 20 years, sometimes less. I don't think she would harm anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 230December 31, 2023 5:04 AM

Angela Lansbury was known to handwrite letters back to fans if they sent her something. I should have just sent cash, little grifter.

by Anonymousreply 231December 31, 2023 5:10 AM

A friend of mine sent Angela a ton of bootlegs of her Broadway shows. She was so thankful to him. Wrote him a 2 page letter back.

by Anonymousreply 232December 31, 2023 5:11 AM

Margaret Hamilton had children as penpals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233December 31, 2023 5:12 AM

[quote] As a child of the 90’s, I used to write fan emails and I actually got responses from the people I wrote

How’d you get their email addresses?!

by Anonymousreply 234December 31, 2023 5:13 AM

Margaret Hamilton was trained as a teacher and even after WOZ was shown on TV in the late 60s, she was doing volunteer work at Beverly Hills public elementary schools, primarily kindergarten.

by Anonymousreply 235December 31, 2023 5:40 AM

Razor Ramon (a super sexy wrestler). No response. It was for a class assignment. One of my classmates wrote Whitney Houston and congratulated her on her marriage to Bobby Brown and her pregnancy. In high school I invited Bill Clinton to my graduation and promised him sexual favors. I got a generic letter from him and Hillary congratulated me on my graduation.

by Anonymousreply 236December 31, 2023 6:00 AM

R215, no I was sure Judith Chapman did not live at the playhouse. However, I knew she lived in Palm Springs and had a heavy relationship with the playhouse, so I thought (maybe mistakenly) that a letter sent there would reacher sooner than one sent to CBS.

by Anonymousreply 237December 31, 2023 9:59 AM

I wrote a letter to Beth Maitland when she first appeared on Y&R. In fact, I maybe sent it even before her first air show. (I was a kid and thrilled that she had the same last name as my neighbors.)

She sent back a handwritten note with an autographed headshot. I still LOVE her and her character.

by Anonymousreply 238December 31, 2023 10:06 AM

I wrote to Joanne Woodward once, back in the 70s. I told her about a couple of mutual friendships she and my mother had in Atlanta/Marietta & Savannah, as well as one of her relatives who was a teacher of mine in high school.

After several weeks I received a manila envelope in the mail. Inside was a lovely hand-written letter from her and 2 signed 8x10 photos of her and Paul. Reading between the lines of her letter I got the feeling she really missed her youth in Marietta as she mentioned how much she loved the "sweet life" she had there.

It makes me sad to know at this point she doesn't even remember she was married to Paul Newman.

by Anonymousreply 239December 31, 2023 10:35 AM

Back when I was on Prodigy, a lady used to give out celebrity addresses on request. Some of them were actual home addresses. I’d send a self address stamped envelope and ask for an autograph. I received many 8x10 autographed photos back. I still have an album somewhere. Donna Douglas sent an 8x10 autographed photo 12 years after I wrote her.

by Anonymousreply 240December 31, 2023 10:44 AM

R239, Woodward was reportedly the partial cause of the end of Newman's marriage. Glad she responded to your letter, but, well--

by Anonymousreply 241December 31, 2023 11:09 AM

R241 are you calling Joanne Woodward the other woman?

by Anonymousreply 242December 31, 2023 11:17 AM

r140 please grow up even though you're over 85.

by Anonymousreply 243December 31, 2023 11:33 AM

[Quote] I developed a bizarre crush on both Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert

This is very disturbing to me.

by Anonymousreply 244December 31, 2023 11:37 AM

I once wrote to Patti LuPone back when she had the “Ask Patti” section on her website. She never posted the answers to my questions on the site but she did reply via e-mail. This was well before her book came out and YouTube wasn’t really a thing yet, so I knew very little about a lot of her career at that point.

Most of her answers were pleasant enough, although quite brief, except for her response to my Sunset Boulevard question. I knew enough back then not to ask about the firing, so I asked instead how she first got involved with the show, as she hadn’t yet written about doing the workshop.

“I was cast in Sunset Boulevard. Hence my involvement.”

Subsequent perusal of answers she gave others revealed that she often answered curtly, even to decent questions. I was young, though, and maybe could’ve worded it better.

by Anonymousreply 245December 31, 2023 11:45 AM

I wrote to Miss Melba Moore in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 246December 31, 2023 11:51 AM

In the late 70s I had a huge crush on Lance Kerwin, at the time in a TV series “James at 15”. I spilled my gayling heart out to him. In one of the teen mags at the time they said he lived in Lake Elsinore, CA. So that’s where I sent the letter, no street address of course. Who knows if he ever got it, I never got a reply from that eventual drugged-out, religious nut.

by Anonymousreply 247December 31, 2023 11:54 AM

Did any of you elders ever write to Mrs. Al Steele? Apparently she loved answering fan mail. A true old-school pro.

by Anonymousreply 248December 31, 2023 12:11 PM

R245 that is hilarious that she cunted out on a fan like that.

You know things are going south when “hence” is being used.

I have tried to get a photo with her for 20 years and every time I try, she always declines. I don’t know why I continue to spend money to see her in things.

by Anonymousreply 249December 31, 2023 12:51 PM

R249 I’ve never seen her live but friends of mine have. One got a picture, the other one didn’t even get a signature and she just blew by everyone waiting for her. Mandy Patinkin, on the other hand, signed everything and posed for photos.

It seems you really have to catch her in the right mood.

by Anonymousreply 250December 31, 2023 2:20 PM

[quote] I still have an album somewhere. Donna Douglas sent an 8x10 autographed photo 12 years after I wrote her.

Back in the mid 80s I was on a flight from LA to Atlanta. I was in the aisle seat. As people were still boarding this lady in a pink and white checkered pantsuit tapped me on the shoulder and when I looked up it was Donna Douglas. She had the window seat. I got up and let her get seated. She the hair in the two side ponytails just like she did when she was Elly May Clampett. The brought her makeup case on with her. After we took off we chatted for a bit and she let me know she was headed to Atlanta for some sort of religious gathering she was appearing at. She was in her mid 50s by then and definitely showing her age, and then some. The makeup was caked on her face like joint compound, but she still took out her makeup case every 30 minutes or so to do a complete reapply. She had so much goop on her face by the time we landed I was shocked she could even move her lips to speak.

She was a sweet lady, but you could tell by then she was very fragile. So I forced myself to not lean over and ask "so, I heard Elvis found you, fucked you, and then forgot you and you lost your mind over it".

by Anonymousreply 251December 31, 2023 4:00 PM

R124 and R223, I'm not surprised Mark Hamill answered your fan letters. I follow him on Twitter and he has got to be the kindest celebrity on there.

by Anonymousreply 252December 31, 2023 5:50 PM

When I was in middle school I loved Night Court. Markie Post seemed like the nicest cast member, so I mailed her some drawings and a note. A few months later, I got a beautiful 8x10 glossy that said “Thanks for the great drawings!”

It really made me happy. Middle school is a terrible time and her gesture brightened my life. MARY

Later on I helped answer fan mail for Pam Tillis and Wade Hayes. I think some got set aside for them but I don’t remember how much.

by Anonymousreply 253December 31, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote]I have tried to get a photo with her for 20 years and every time I try, she always declines

Keep trying Glenn...

by Anonymousreply 254December 31, 2023 6:57 PM

Me (and probably most of DL):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 31, 2023 7:24 PM

Checked Patti's website but you can no longer contact her.

by Anonymousreply 256December 31, 2023 10:57 PM

R256 Her old version of the website and Q&As can be viewed through the Wayback machine.

by Anonymousreply 257December 31, 2023 11:00 PM

Jo Dereske, author. She was lovely

by Anonymousreply 258December 31, 2023 11:29 PM

[quote]I wrote Harold Prince a FOLLIES fan letter.

R227 was 11 at the time - and Hal wrote the boy's parents back and said, "You realize your son is gay, right?"

by Anonymousreply 259January 5, 2024 8:56 AM

In the mid 1980s I sent a blank birthday card and stamped envelope to Kate Bush asking her to sign it and send it on to a friend of mine. And she did!

by Anonymousreply 260January 5, 2024 9:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!