Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The New Genesis G90 is a stunning automobile.

Would any queens of means consider leasing one? Were I in the market and had the cash, I'd definitely test drive one. I think it's so good looking inside and out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2023 6:11 PM

I want a Jake Genesis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2023 10:47 PM

The smaller g80 is nice too. The Koreans really know how to do a modern interpretation of luxury, they combine Japanese, American and German luxury touches in one vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2023 10:48 PM

It's a handsome automobile. But it looks like there isn't as much as a price advantage compared to its rivals now. A loaded G90 can go for $100K, not that much less than an Audi or Lexus.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2023 10:51 PM

meh. It doesn't look much different than my old Toyota

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2023 10:56 PM

The G90 will start at $89,495, while opting for the 48-volt hybrid system with an electric supercharger will open at $99,795.

And it's a Hyundai...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2023 10:59 PM

This will be a tough sell. I've seen several of the previous generation models in my city. No new ones yet. Genesis' crossovers are white hot right now. Sedans, not so much. But other car makers are going through the same thing, so there's that.

Still, so beautiful. Avant garde, but not as polarizing as the current Lexus LS.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2023 11:02 PM

I just got a Genesis GV60 Performance EV and I love it. Incredibly creative design and tech. Face recognition to unlock the car. Fingerprint recognition to start it. You don’t need a key fob.

This year the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis brands surpassed surpassed GM to become the 3rd largest automaker in the world.

And R4, all the Genesis vehicles are vastly more attractive than anything from Lexus, the luxury brand of your ‘old Toyota.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2023 11:04 PM

How much did you pay R7?

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2023 11:07 PM

R7, is your GV60 fast? As fast as a Tesla or Lucid?

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2023 11:08 PM

Car of the year? Hyundai must have paid MotorTrend a pretty penny for that.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2023 11:18 PM

R6, mine was 70K and I paid MSRP. R7, the GV60 has a Boost mode, an actual button on the steering wheel. 0 to 60 is accomplished in 3.6 seconds. The side bolsters on the seats automatically pull in to your sides when that mode is launched.

Cars.com did a comparison between the Genesis GV60 and Tesla Model Y. The GV60 was much faster. From the article:

“With both EVs charged to over 90% battery, the GV60 Performance felt like it had a massive advantage and wow factor over our Model Y from the seat-of-the-pants feel behind the wheel, and the numbers reflected a big difference, too. The Model Y’s 0-60 time of 4.32 seconds with Acceleration Boost was noticeably laggier than the 3.77 seconds of the GV60 Performance using Boost Mode.”

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2023 11:34 PM

Why is this car called 'Genesis'?

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2023 11:37 PM

R11, both of those times sound exhilarating. We've come far when some automotive writers call 0-60 in just over four seconds "laggy". LOL.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2023 11:37 PM

[quote] With both EVs charged to over 90% battery,

Taking how many hours to reach that level vs five minutes at the pump ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2023 11:43 PM

The exterior of my car. Copper with off white and multi gray interior accents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2023 11:44 PM

R14, the GV60 charges from a 0 to 80% in 18 minutes, the fastest charging time in the market. Also, the car was designed for OTA updates, meaning that sophisticated software tweaks can be implemented without additional equipment or modifications at a shop:

Increased horsepower and longer range and faster charging are already being targeted. Mercedes is about to start these software options, but they’re charging a ‘subscription’ price of $1,200 a year to get the improvements! I’m assuming Genesis will do something similar. Here’s the interior of my car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2023 11:56 PM

They have an Electrified G80 I've read about. But because of the positioning of the lithium battery underneath the passenger compartment, head and leg room are compromised and IIRC you cannot order a sunroof on one. And trunk space is abysmal.

Genesis claims that their goal is to have an all-electric lineup by 2025. They aren't playing.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2023 12:00 AM

r15 Looks good Snazzy

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2023 12:25 AM

The long wheelbase version is NOT coming to the States…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2023 1:27 PM

I hate sedans, so no.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2023 1:43 PM

I was a Lexus LS owner since 1999, owning 5 different models over the years. When the grill was redesigned to look grrr I moved to the G80 Sport Turbo. I had a v8 for decades and thought the 6 would be puny, but this car lacks nothing in power, and the amenities are so much better. And it’s a gorgeous car, I get compliments and questions all the time. Plus $25,000 less and higher mpg.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2023 1:55 PM

I love sedans and despise most crossovers and SUVS. They all look alike anyway and attempts to make them look sleek only succeed in making them look like they are trying too hard. And I’ve yet to ride in one where the ride wasn’t wallowy and harsh. I had an Uber driver pick me up in an Infiniti QX SUV. It was quiet and the leather seats were very comfortable, but I could feel every bump and had to grab my seat when the driver made sharp turns. They’re convenient for airport trips and if you have a family or a business that requires you to carry cargo, but most people don’t need them. The auto industry has convinced them that they need a crossover. The profit margins are much higher than those of cars. They lose money on small and midsize sedans. They created a monster.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2023 3:26 PM

Lovely from any angle. I love it. Get the 10-year bumper-to-bumper warranty...with all the electronics you will need it. $100k seems to be the new baseline for a quality, safe car. This one is huge and certainly looks safe. Go for the black interior; the white one is a cleaning nightmare. Even blue jeans will leave stains on the white leather that are almost impossible to get out.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2023 3:36 PM

That rust brown interior looks great as well r23.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2023 3:41 PM

And once again, Hyundai/Kia leaves Chrysler, Cadillac and Lincoln in the dust, despite those three having been in the car biz at least 75 years longer.

Why do American car companies STILL have such a distinct disadvantage to upstarts like Hyundai/Kia? Why do they struggle to bring out new models, and when they do, they go over like lead balloons?

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2023 3:44 PM

American carmakers are greedy and somewhat desperate. They throw anything at the wall and they hope it sticks.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2023 3:47 PM

Automobile design is dead. Another 60K toaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2023 3:52 PM

[QUOTE] $100k seems to be the new baseline for a quality, safe car.

Uhh, where, in Beverly Hills? There’s plenty of solid cars for far less money. Virtually nobody will be buying this car.

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2023 3:53 PM

So you can recognize yours in the parking lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2023 3:55 PM

For that much money, just give me a real luxury car…a Mercedes or Bimmer. And don’t make me go to a Hyundai dealer for service. That being said, most people will be leasing these.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2023 3:55 PM

"For that much money, just give me a real luxury car…a Mercedes or Bimmer. "

I won't be caught dead riding in a German car.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2023 3:59 PM

r31 ditto

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2023 4:28 PM

Mercedes-Benz has about 4% cachet left.

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2023 4:34 PM

r33 ditto

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2023 4:44 PM

What happened to MB and their cachet?

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2023 4:48 PM

r35 Catastrophic reliability and unaffordable repair prices after the warranty runs out.

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2023 4:53 PM

MB decided to go decidedly downmarket in their expanded offerings. "A MB for every wallet."

And their vaunted quality left them long ago.

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2023 4:54 PM

That grille turns me off.

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2023 4:58 PM

Don’t understand the concept of MBs and BMWs “four-door coupes”. Extremely difficult to enter and exit from the former. And the latter is ugly. They’ve never been cheap to own/repair.

And now Genesis is pushing its way into their market. That’s capitalism for you.

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2023 5:08 PM

I don't see a lot of people paying this kind of money for a Hyundai. Besides the low status marquee their dealerships are high-pressure credit houses appealing to folks with bad credit scores. Hyundai will need to step up their game to attract people willing to pay a $100K for one of their cars

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2023 5:32 PM

The Hyundai dealership experience is a huge negative for Genesis. People driving a $100k vehicle expect the type to service they’d get at a Lexus or M-B dealership. They don’t want to come in for service and wait in line behind someone arguing their rusted-out Elantra is still under warranty.

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2023 5:37 PM

[quote]Taking how many hours to reach that level vs five minutes at the pump ?

As R16 says, some of the new EVs can charge incredibly quickly. But for a lot of people, you just plug in the car at home while you do something else and you don't need to go a gas station (or charging station) at all.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2023 5:47 PM

@r41, This. The Hyundai dealership near my house looks more like a used car lot then a luxury car dealer. Nice cars out front with a couple of old guys sitting at metal desks in a rundown glass and corrugated metal warehouse building 😬

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2023 5:49 PM

True, they will have to build up their separate dealerships away from the Hyundais. I would not want to be waiting for my Genesis sitting in a low rent lounge with second hand furniture, drinking coffee from a styrofoam cup. The dealership experience at Audi was amazing. Kerrigan coffee and croissants. Furniture bought new. Those little things are the ones that make the difference between a luxury car dealer service and the rest.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2023 5:58 PM

When visiting my parents over the holidays I saw a brand new Hyundai dealership that look very nice. Really big and glassy and nothing like the old stores of yore. I am wondering when/if they still plan on launching Genesis stores.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2023 6:05 PM

I don't want a heart shaped grill.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2023 6:05 PM

Genesis is currently building stand alone showrooms and will ultimately have a completely independent dealer network in several years. In the meantime, they offer no visit sales. My car was brought to my house for a test-drive. All the paperwork was done remotely and when purchased the vehicle was brought to my house. I never went to the dealership.

I also have 3 years of complimentary service, and at appointment time a loaner is brought to my house and Genesis takes my car for servicing. I also have a designated concierge assigned to me in the event that I need any assistance. This company isn’t playing around.

Oh, if you’re in NYC go to Genesis House. It’s not a dealership. Check out the link to see how they’re building their brand. One of these places is opening in the UK where they just began selling cars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2023 8:50 PM

Oh yeah. I forgot that with Genesis you never have to even go to a dealer, so the fears of having to mingle with the hoi polloi are moot even if new Hyundai dealerships are great and old ones are upgrading.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2023 9:21 PM

[quote]I also have a designated concierge assigned to me in the event that I need any assistance.

Does he provide "additional services"?

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2023 9:30 PM

I've had two hyundais and and will buy more, but that's ugly as sin. I had a Genesis Coupe and have a Kona now. I looked at the link and it's a little better from behind, but that first picture does nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2023 9:32 PM

[quote]I want a Jake Genesis.

Nice chassis.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2023 9:32 PM

A Lexus is an overpriced Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 52January 20, 2023 3:10 AM

Are they going to make a GV90? They need a large crossover with hybrid or electric power. They have hinted at that for years now.

by Anonymousreply 53January 20, 2023 3:57 PM

Are there any videos of cars filled with Republicans driving off a cliff? That's the only car I'm interested in.

by Anonymousreply 54January 20, 2023 4:10 PM

I used to work at Motor Trend and The Car of the Year is a joke. It's about buying ad space in the upcoming year. But then again everybody knows that.

by Anonymousreply 55January 20, 2023 4:55 PM

I live Los Angeles, the few times I've seen a Genesis on the road 100% of the time, it is driven by a Korean, or a Asian looking person.

by Anonymousreply 56January 20, 2023 4:59 PM

Korean-Americans are proud of Hyundai/Kia. See what selling hair weaves can do for you?

What is the status of the lawsuits regarding the engine fires on some of their cars?

by Anonymousreply 57January 20, 2023 5:15 PM

R57 - no they're following the commands of their Korean Chaebol overlords,

by Anonymousreply 58January 20, 2023 5:57 PM

I was seriously thinking about the GV70, but then I noticed that Hyundais seem to have declined a bit in reliability in Consumer Reports' evaluations. (I had a 2009 Sonata that had few problems.) Also -- the infotainment system seems to get horrible reviews. Do they even support wireless Android Auto?

by Anonymousreply 59January 20, 2023 8:53 PM

R55, since you last worked at Motor Trend must have been 20 years ago. Next time you’re at an airport pick up a copy of any magazine, automotive or otherwise. Magazines are like pamphlets. There isn’t any advertising anymore.

BTW, both GM and Ford recently purchased a GV60 to benchmark. So the reverse of what was happening 20years ago when the Koreans started getting serious about building quality vehicles has occurred.. Put your index fingers in your ears and scream No, No, No, No, No. it doesn’t matter. In just 7years Genesis is now making the most desirable vehicles in the industry.

That they hired the top engineers and designers from Bentley, Lamborghini and BMW doesn’t hurt. I’m as much if not more of a car guy than anyone on this thread. I’ve owned many luxury cars domestic and imported. I’ve had sedans, SUVs and trucks. My Genesis GV60 is the most remarkable vehicle I’ve ever owned.

by Anonymousreply 60January 20, 2023 11:09 PM

I guess a certain demographic finds it appealing.

by Anonymousreply 61January 20, 2023 11:21 PM

At least you could find your car in the parking lot of the club after an afternoon of cards and highballs. Black S-Classes all look alike.

by Anonymousreply 62January 20, 2023 11:27 PM

I sat in one once to see how I fit. I couldn't man spread. I have to be able to man spread in a car.

by Anonymousreply 63January 20, 2023 11:36 PM

Vulgar design

by Anonymousreply 64January 20, 2023 11:37 PM

R63, the interior dimensions of every vehicle in this class are within an inch in every direction. If your ‘man spread’ is an allusion to getting laid within a vehicle, the combination of a flat floor and a single button reclining both seats flat offers you the opportunity to man spread to your man’s content.

As to vulgarity, R64, in this class you’re stuck with BMWs inexplicable new grill, the Mercedes blob or Audi and their anonymous, or is it invisible styling?. If the Genesis is ‘vulgar’ I’m all in.

I test drove every EV on the market before my decision and this Genesis is the perfect combination of forward thinking design and superb execution.

by Anonymousreply 65January 21, 2023 12:00 AM

The car is beautiful. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 66January 21, 2023 1:47 AM

I guess I'm off the reservation. I think it looks like cheap, gaudy junk.

by Anonymousreply 67January 21, 2023 1:55 AM

If you spread your legs it feels cramped. This was a few years ago. Don't know if they changed it. My Toyota driver's width is much more comfortable. But I do like the Genesis design very much which is why I was looking at it.

by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2023 11:56 AM

I don’t have orgasms over any new car. I’d rather have a chrome laden car like the 1958 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special.

by Anonymousreply 69January 21, 2023 12:10 PM

Lipstick on a pig.

by Anonymousreply 70January 21, 2023 1:52 PM

Beautiful interior but the exterior looks like diamond ring on a man. It never works.

by Anonymousreply 71January 21, 2023 3:16 PM

I've posted in another thread - my next car is going to be a Genesis - the ev one that the poster above just bought. He posted his in another thread and I said I was jealous - and I still am.

I'm actually glad there's another luxury car brand choice out there to keep the market competitive. The prices for the typical luxury car brands are insane now.

by Anonymousreply 72January 21, 2023 3:20 PM

I'd have to have a lot of money to spend it on a luxury car. That's one I can't square.

by Anonymousreply 73January 21, 2023 3:27 PM

@r69, "I’d rather have a chrome laden car like the 1958 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special. "

Oh, honey, you have to show the folks this beauty. 20 feet of chrome and fins in all it's glory

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 21, 2023 4:26 PM

^ The '59 Fleetwood Sixty-Special would like a word with you...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 21, 2023 4:31 PM

R74 and R75- They are both GREAT looking cars.

by Anonymousreply 76January 21, 2023 4:37 PM

I had a 1960 DeVille for a number of years. It had been my grandfather’s and was in pristine condition. I always got a lot of attention when I had it out for the day.

by Anonymousreply 77January 21, 2023 5:03 PM

I would imagine it's a challenge to find a suitable parking place with those Cadillacs.

by Anonymousreply 78January 21, 2023 5:29 PM

The new Genesis? Wachu talkin bout Willis?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 21, 2023 5:38 PM

^ I know, right? When I was a kid my grandfather had a mid-50s Cadillac. I just remember the ass end fins sticking out of his garage, because he couldn't close the door 😂

by Anonymousreply 80January 21, 2023 5:46 PM

[quote]Korean-Americans are proud of Hyundai/Kia. See what selling hair weaves can do for you?

I thought Koreans did nails??

by Anonymousreply 81January 21, 2023 7:17 PM

[quote]The prices for the typical luxury car brands are insane now.

You can get a nicely equipped 3-series/X3, C-class/GLC, or A4/Q5 for under $50k. I don’t think that’s insane, considering some Toyotas, Kias, and Chevys sell for more than that.

by Anonymousreply 82January 21, 2023 7:20 PM

Korean American businesses include weave and beauty supply stores. They have run most African American hair and beauty supply shops out of business…and all the while turning their noses up at the people who buy their products. But you can’t convince black womenfolk to stop patronizing their stores.

by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2023 6:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!