Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Flyers Defenseman Ivan Provorov "Why I Won't Wear Pride Jersey"

“I respect everybody and I respect everybody’s choices. My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion.” - his faith is Russian Orthodox

Flyers head coach John Tortorella defended Provy and refused to bench him: “He’s being true to himself.”

Are you fine with Flyers Defenseman Ivan Provorov REFUSING to wear rainbow jersey for warm ups during “Pride Night”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 20, 2023 5:40 PM

I don't know why the NHL allows these asshole Russians, especially Ovechkin, to play in their league.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2023 3:49 PM

I have a problem with forcing people to wear any sort of insignia/symbol.

Is Provorov homophobic? Yes.

He still should not be forced to wear anything, however, that conflicts with what he believes.

I am more interested in gay professional athletes coming out while they're playing. That's real progress.

It's great that teams create environments to make it safe for that.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2023 3:56 PM

Do you think he consulted Dee Dee Halls before he made this statement?

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2023 4:32 PM

Sure. don't wear a pride jersey but don't use your religion as an excuse. When you do, it becomes clear that you hate gays.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2023 8:09 PM

It’s fine. He’ll come out in his own good time.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2023 8:32 PM

God I hate when the sports leagues do shit like this (making players wear rainbow stuff). There's always some asshole that doesn't want to do it, and you're just making martyrs out of them. And it's all completely performative bullshit anyway. It doesn't accomplish anything, but gives the team yet ANOTHER style of jersey to sell. And it's also funny that the same people demanding this worthless asswipe be benched screamed bloody murder when NFL owners talked about benching players who kneeled for the anthem. Sorry folks, same thing.

As r2 said, far better to encourage gay players to come out. We're still waiting on that superstar to work up the courage to take the leap and REALLY change things. Nassib was huge news, but he's not good enough to create real change, he'll probably have to take another pay cut to even stay in the league next year.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2023 8:33 PM

US courts at all levels have repeatedly upheld the rights of Americans to live free from compelled speech, and that's a good thing. Who cares if some asshole doesn't want to wear a Pride jersey? You will never have to parrot someone else's nutty religion or right-wing ideology. Most people on this earth can't say the same, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2023 8:46 PM

Atta boy!

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2023 8:51 PM

You can't force someone to support LGBT. It's different if they are insulting or harassing someone. But nobody is obligated to wear clothing to express support. This is why I'm not a fan of big corporations doing this Pride stuff, they treat like some brand and force it on their employees. It's really shallow and condescending. LGBTQIA2+? And it's leading to a lot of backlash and giving conservatives more ammo to aim at us regular gays and lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2023 8:55 PM

Yes, and I find it refreshing that people aren’t continuing with this bullshit. Enough pandering already. What’s next, BLM shirts? Free Palestine?

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2023 9:04 PM

R10 must be a self-hating Republican.

What is wrong with teams wanting to support the LGBT community?

The players who refuse to wear them are hypocrites, because I bet they all sleep with tons of groupies. They seem to forget about their religion when it comes to heterosexual sex

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2023 9:08 PM

I'm not a fan of statement clothing, flags, yard signs, etc. I wouldn't wear a Pride jersey so why should he have to?

Also not a fan of religious people, but that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2023 9:09 PM

A lot of people forget that immigrants that come to The US are often from more conservative and religious cultures. Unless they are heavily Americanized and educated, they'll tend to hold views that conflict with the average middle class liberal.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2023 9:12 PM

I don’t think anyone should be made to wear it. But this “being true to myself” is the argument of a legitimate moron. Ted Bundy, Hitler, and prfophile priests were all true to themselves as well.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2023 9:14 PM

Hockey has always been the NASCAR of the North.

I always see this as an employer’s rights issue. Is it too much to expect employees to wear the uniform the employer chooses? You’re paying them and courts have already ruled that free speech protections do not extend to the private work place.

Sports organizations have the ability to fire employees because they offend the morals and demean the reputation of the parent company. How is this any different?

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2023 9:15 PM

Orthodox Russians are well known for their hatred of LGBT people - a very proud of it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2023 9:20 PM

I wouldn’t wear it earlier and I’m only a little gay.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2023 9:22 PM

Either*

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2023 9:22 PM

Meh. Provorov knew his employers would choose his uniform when he started his employment with them and that he would have no input into their decision. He signed up for that and if he refuses to wear the uniform he can't take the ice. If he refuses to fulfill his employment contract then he should be fined until he does and/or fired from the team.

He's a hockey player, not a fucking princess. Wear the uniform, do your job and deal with your bigoted religion on your own time.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2023 9:24 PM

He’s a homophobe for sure and is using his religion as a shield that being said I don’t think employers should force employees to participate in causes just so that the employer can get woke points or extra money by selling cause specific merchandise which is what is happening here.

These stories fuel conservatives and their base which does not help.

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2023 9:41 PM

[quote] I don’t think employers should force employees to participate in causes just so that the employer can get woke points or extra money by selling cause specific merchandise which is what is happening here.

R20, again, please explain to me how this squares with an organization’s clear and legal right to enforce morals clauses. When he signed his highly-compensatory contract he agreed not to offend the “morals” of the team owners. What is the logic that allows the player to be held accountable for doing bad, but not for refusing to do good, as the team owners see it?

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2023 9:47 PM

They force players in wearing pride jerseys, but at the same time they force other players to not coming out since it could ruin their sponsorships, lol. Just for that, I totally stan Provorov.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2023 9:47 PM

If these companies really gave a shit about minorities like they claim, they would have said something when oppression was really bad and it mattered. Not wait until a marginalized group gains more visibility and social mobility to start this. Gays, women and racial minorities are just another source of income for them. Most CEOs are straight white men (there are exceptions but not enough). That said, if you're an employee employed these corporations and they are paying you then technically you must abide by their rules being they are private entities.

Also, for many Greek and Eastern European immigrants, The Orthodox Church is a source of their pride and identity. The Orthodox church is very homophobic. Many immigrants are from conservative and religious cultures. That's why I don't understand why people act so shocked at Latinos voting Republican when many are Catholic and Evangelical.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2023 9:50 PM

Looks like his mama was a drinker. FASface.

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2023 10:09 PM

I don't see why anyone cares what some random sports guy who they'll never meet thinks about homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2023 10:14 PM

WHAT?!?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2023 10:22 PM

R6, exactly. I want team management and coaches to create environments to make it easier for athletes to come out.

And showing solidarity by wearing a pride symbol is part of that. And encouraging members of the team to do that.

But disciplining a guy for refusing? No way. No one should be forced to wear symbols that go against their beliefs

It's clear Provorov is anti-gay. He may never change, but an out teammate might help him change.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2023 10:29 PM

This homophobic fucker's contract didn't say "Wear our team's uniform unless you don't want to and then you can just wear what you want."

There are no exceptions for the Bronze Age scribblings of a bunch of bigoted religious fanatics in the desert.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2023 10:58 PM

[quote] extra money by selling cause specific merchandise

I’d also like to focus on this part of the statement. This shows clear monetary reasoning why the players actions might hurt the rights of the employer to make profits.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2023 11:11 PM

As a Russian Orthodox Christian, he should accept all of God's creations.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2023 11:13 PM

[quote] must be a self-hating Republican.

Save it, Chairman Mao.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2023 11:25 PM

[quote] I always see this as an employer’s rights issue. Is it too much to expect employees to wear the uniform the employer chooses?

Okay, so you’d wear a MAGA Jersey then.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2023 11:28 PM

A former Boston Bruins coach was notorious for “grooming” the younger players.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2023 11:30 PM

Pretty sure murdering people isn't what Christ would have supported...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2023 11:49 PM

R32, you can sling invective all you like but ours is, hopefully, still a nation of laws built on the English common law principle of right to property. The owners of these companies, as rich as they are, deserve the same blind legal treatment as the next person.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2023 1:31 AM

R35 = MAGAt

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2023 6:01 AM

Why are pride jerseys necessary? We gays are above sports anyway.

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2023 6:07 AM

[quote] And it's also funny that the same people demanding this worthless asswipe be benched screamed bloody murder when NFL owners talked about benching players who kneeled for the anthem.

This never happened.

You are putting words in other people's mouths yet again.

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2023 6:19 AM

When did the fucking Russians decide they're Christ's Chosen People?

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2023 6:32 AM

I think a bunch of straight athletes wearing prides shirts, whether voluntarily or not. is completely absurd. I don't expect or need any of them to wear the jersey. If it's a whole team doing something, it looks inherently coerced, which totally defeats whatever the point was in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2023 6:40 AM

The Russian Orthodox church canonized the Romanov martyrs, so they do do some good things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2023 6:46 AM

[quote]God I hate when the sports leagues do shit like this (making players wear rainbow stuff). There's always some asshole that doesn't want to do it, and you're just making martyrs out of them. And it's all completely performative bullshit anyway.

All sports are performative, so let's stop with that lame excuse as to why they shouldn't show support to various groups and organizations.

Part of a players' contract is that they will fulfill their obligations to these special events. What's bullshit here is some guy getting paid millions and then saying nah, he hates the gays, he won't do what the rest of the team is doing because he wants to make it clear he hates the gays.

If that happened with any other event these teams did -- the military appreciation and cancer awareness events -- people would be outraged.

But on here, because DL is now 80% straight fuckheads like you, we're supposed to say that it's okay, he can just not fulfill the terms of his contract because making it publicly clear that he hates gays is the most important thing.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2023 8:12 AM

[quote]I don’t think employers should force employees to participate in causes just so that the employer can get woke points or extra money by selling cause specific merchandise which is what is happening here.

I'd love to see all the threads you've posted in where you've said that NHL players are being unfairly used to sell jerseys, posters, or any other branded merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2023 8:13 AM

[quote] Ivan Provorov "Why I Won't Wear Pride Jersey"

What does he have to be proud about?

Why should he display someone else's 'pride'?

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2023 8:23 AM

I stand with Ivan.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2023 10:21 AM

[quote] Sure. don't wear a pride jersey but don't use your religion as an excuse. When you do, it becomes clear that you hate gays.

OK, R4. I'm 6'3" and I refuse to wear a mini-skirt, twinset and pearls. Do you think my refusal makes me a misogynist?

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2023 10:34 AM

R3 Deidre Hall definitely started this shit years ago

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2023 10:37 AM

[quote] As a Russian Orthodox Christian, he should accept all of God's creations.

Yes, and he must wear clothing on his body to advertise other men who like to sodomise each other.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2023 10:41 AM

[quote]I respect everybody’s choices

Religion is a choice, being gay isn't.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2023 11:15 AM

That’s silly they’re from Pennsylvania why would they wear a shirt that says Jersey?

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2023 1:04 PM

I don't care if he doesn't wear a Pride Jersey, but NONE of these people would dare not wear jersey celebrating Black History Month of Holocaust Remembrance Day and claim "MY religion!!!"

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2023 3:58 PM

[quote] OK, [R4]. I'm 6'3" and I refuse to wear a mini-skirt, twinset and pearls. Do you think my refusal makes me a misogynist?

What a stupid comparison. Who's asking you to wear a mini-skirt?

Do you claim your religion prevents you from wearing one?

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2023 4:00 PM

[quote]“I respect everybody and I respect everybody’s choices. My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion.” - his faith is Russian Orthodox

"Except for the part of Orthodoxy that says I shouldn't have pre-marital sex."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2023 6:28 PM

As long as Sidney Crosby doesn't come out, all NHL "gay-friendly propaganda" is pure marketing/PR bullshit.for me.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2023 6:31 PM

What does his religion actually say that he refuses to acknowledge gays? That gays don't really exist? That gays shouldn't have any rights?

and what about his stupid statement about "choices"???!!! Like being gay is a choice

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2023 6:37 PM

[quote]I always see this as an employer’s rights issue. Is it too much to expect employees to wear the uniform the employer chooses? You’re paying them and courts have already ruled that free speech protections do not extend to the private work place.

It should be noted that this wasn't an official team thing, it was arranged by the two Flyers "Hockey is for Everyone" and "You Can Play" Ambassadors. Also note that this isn't the first time Provorov declined to participate in Pride Night.

[quote]On past Pride Nights, Flyers players used Pride tape on their sticks, and it was optional. Provorov unsurprisingly never used it. But this time, players wanted to do more. The Flyers wanted to wear pride jerseys — as a unified whole — to signify their strong support for the LGBTQ+ community because they felt it was the right thing to do.

Surprisingly enough, even Tony DeAngelo, who I recently saw referred to as Tony QAngelo wore the jersey but that's probably because he knows he's running out of chances in the NHL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2023 6:49 PM

This is the Flyers coach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2023 6:50 PM

[quote]As long as Sidney Crosby doesn't come out, all NHL "gay-friendly propaganda" is pure marketing/PR bullshit.for me.

I think with some people it's genuine, R54. This is an interview with Scott Laughton about 2022's Pride Night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2023 6:55 PM

[quote] Also note that this isn't the first time Provorov declined to participate in Pride Night.

R56 What has Provorov got to be proud about?

by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Pride Night is about trying to attract a LGBT audience. To do that, you have to show support for LGBT equality.

Provorov is a homophobe, which for some reason is a-okay while racism and anti-semitism are not

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote] Pride Night is about trying to attract a LGBT audience.

That's what YOU say. But you're not being asked to wear advertising on your body which is entirely irrelevant to how you live your life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2023 7:12 PM

[quote] I don't care if he doesn't wear a Pride Jersey, but NONE of these people would dare not wear jersey celebrating Black History Month of Holocaust Remembrance Day and claim "MY religion!!!

Has this happened? Or are you hypothesizing?

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote] You can't force someone to support LGBT.

And you can't force people to like things.

I will never like vaginas. And I'll never advertise vaginas.

by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2023 7:44 PM

R46 No, but refusing to wear a jersey in favour of equal rights for women would. Which is roughly equivalent, unlike your example.

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2023 7:52 PM

An amorphous lobby group forcing others to do things against their will is just the same as capitalist corporations enforcing rigid rules of conduct on others.

Individual freedoms aren't permitted.

by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2023 7:58 PM

[quote] The NHL released a statement . . . stating that "players are free to decide which initiatives to support."

What actually are they initiating?

by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2023 8:13 PM

I don't think he should be forced to wear a logo or statement piece of clothing/equipment that goes against his personal beliefs. But I do think the organization—which is in the entertainment business and depends on public goodwill for its cash flow—should consider the cost/benefit ratio of employing someone whose bigotry against a specific demographic is such a dearly held belief that he's willing to make a public spectacle of his opposition to their promotional efforts to reach out to said demographic.

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2023 9:53 PM

If this homophobe was on my city’s team, this would turn me off from attending any of their games.

by Anonymousreply 68January 20, 2023 2:39 AM

R1, agreed. Russians purport to hate the U.S., but they certainly love American wealth and the dollar. And they regularly dropped anchor babies during Trump's term, specifically Florida (surprise, surprise).

by Anonymousreply 69January 20, 2023 2:42 AM

[Quote] Has this happened? Or are you hypothesizing?

Sports Teams are constantly having specialty nights to attract all sorts of fans. Constantly.

I’m sure he has never said no to anything else

by Anonymousreply 70January 20, 2023 3:03 AM

[quote] I’m sure he has never said no

Let's get some facts before we condemn someone for failing to match our superior morality.

by Anonymousreply 71January 20, 2023 3:07 AM

[Quote] [R46] No, but refusing to wear a jersey in favour of equal rights for women would.

Yes, but no would would DARE not wear a jersey in favor of women’s equality. No one. Sports teams are desperate to get female fans, half the world’s population. If a player said my religion doesn’t allow me to wear such a jersey, that player would be out of a job the next day.

And your example of making someone wear a miniskirt is just idiotic. No one is asking him to wear anything more than an insignia of gay pride, not a bejeweled jock strap

by Anonymousreply 72January 20, 2023 3:07 AM

[Quote] Let's get some facts before we condemn someone for failing to match our superior morality.

Can you think of ANYTHING else that someone in today’s America could say “my religion” as a reason not to support?

by Anonymousreply 73January 20, 2023 3:09 AM

Well, this is disappointing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 20, 2023 3:28 AM

Sigh. Provorov's jersey has sold out. As I said above, all this did was make him a hero to the right wing. Even more bizarrely, Sean Avery, who used to pal around with Andy Cohen and was strongly rumored to be gay, is screaming his support from the rooftops on his Twitter account. I have no idea what the fuck is up with that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 20, 2023 3:49 AM

[quote]If this homophobe was on my city’s team, this would turn me off from attending any of their games.

The Flyers alienated a lot of fans when they signed Tony DeAngelo last summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 20, 2023 3:55 AM

From R76:

[quote]DeAngelo has a track record of disruption, antagonism, and most importantly outright racism, sexism, and homophobia.

[quote]DeAngelo was suspended more than once during his junior career in the Ontario Hockey League per ESPN, including once for violating the OHL's policy on "homophobic, racist, and sexist language" as well as abuse of officials. He received another suspension for abuse of officials early in his NHL career while with the Coyotes.

[quote]DeAngelo said he attended counseling classes because of his continued use of racial slurs, per The Athletic, which he described as "sports psychology" classes.

[quote]DeAngelo said he knows he can't take back the actions, but he regretted what he said.

[quote]During his time with the Rangers, DeAngelo once again butted heads - this time with then-teammate Alex Georgiev. The two reportedly got into a physical altercation, reportedly started by DeAngelo, and had to be separated by a teammate.

[quote]Then there's DeAngelo's outspoken support of former President of the United States Donald Trump on social media (including assertions that the state of Pennsylvania was trying to "rig" the 2020 election) and his public questioning of the legitimacy of the COVID-19 pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 77January 20, 2023 3:59 AM

From R76:

[quote]DeAngelo has a track record of disruption, antagonism, and most importantly outright racism, sexism, and homophobia.

[quote]DeAngelo was suspended more than once during his junior career in the Ontario Hockey League per ESPN, including once for violating the OHL's policy on "homophobic, racist, and sexist language" as well as abuse of officials. He received another suspension for abuse of officials early in his NHL career while with the Coyotes.

[quote]DeAngelo said he attended counseling classes because of his continued use of racial slurs, per The Athletic, which he described as "sports psychology" classes.

[quote]DeAngelo said he knows he can't take back the actions, but he regretted what he said.

[quote]During his time with the Rangers, DeAngelo once again butted heads - this time with then-teammate Alex Georgiev. The two reportedly got into a physical altercation, reportedly started by DeAngelo, and had to be separated by a teammate.

[quote]Then there's DeAngelo's outspoken support of former President of the United States Donald Trump on social media (including assertions that the state of Pennsylvania was trying to "rig" the 2020 election) and his public questioning of the legitimacy of the COVID-19 pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 78January 20, 2023 3:59 AM

"Let's get some facts before we condemn someone for failing to match our superior morality."

He's the one acting superior

by Anonymousreply 79January 20, 2023 4:02 AM

Typical Russian trash. So holy -- a nation of whores, wife-beaters, and alcoholics.

by Anonymousreply 80January 20, 2023 4:03 AM

I don't need a Russian puck-pusher to validate me.

by Anonymousreply 81January 20, 2023 4:04 AM

It's money, r75. People figured out during Trump's term that you can make big fistfuls of cash by catering to the rightwing nutjob consumer, who will buy anything -- literally anything -- if they are convinced it'll own the libs. In turn, celebrities have started talking big about "supporting freedom of speech" and "being against cancel culture" to help keep them viable to rightwingers who they think will boycott them if they dare say anything liberal.

It's also that we're in a really conservative, regressive period of time right now. Trolls, bigots, and stupids have yammered on for so long about how anything even remotely liberal has ruined the world that gullible people have just gone along with it. It helps that the media is decidedly biased toward Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 82January 20, 2023 9:44 AM

I’ve changed on this over the years. Clearly he’s a bigot and his use of words like “choice” make that clear. At the same time, I do think society would be better off as a whole if we hadn’t gotten so immersed in identity politics and forced representation. While the goal is a good one, it’s actually fractured and tribalized us more than I think we would’ve otherwise been.

by Anonymousreply 83January 20, 2023 10:22 AM

[quote]Can you think of ANYTHING else that someone in today’s America could say “my religion” as a reason not to support?

Premarital sex, abortion, divorce, assisted suicide, blood transfusions, caffeine, pork and automobiles, just for starters.

by Anonymousreply 84January 20, 2023 11:04 AM

[quote] At the same time, I do think society would be better off as a whole if we hadn’t gotten so immersed in identity politics and forced representation. While the goal is a good one, it’s actually fractured and tribalized us more than I think we would’ve otherwise been.

What caused "identity politics" was the right wing passing laws that discriminate against specific groups. The right wing did everything they could to block the rights of specific groups that don't support the right--Blacks, women, gays, Muslims, immigrants, etc.--and then specifically targeted each one.

by Anonymousreply 85January 20, 2023 12:55 PM

[quote] Premarital sex, abortion, divorce, assisted suicide, blood transfusions, caffeine, pork and automobiles, just for starters.

LOL. seriously? Everyone does ALL those things nowadays.

If a hockey player said "I'm going to wear a logo supporting the team's sponsor, a pork manufacturer, "because of my religion," that player would be fired pronto.

by Anonymousreply 86January 20, 2023 12:57 PM

Don't bench him. Don't fire him. Don't even admonish him.

We all, however, know he's a homophobe.

Any company that wants to hire him to advertise now won't touch him.

by Anonymousreply 87January 20, 2023 12:58 PM

[quote]If a hockey player said "I'm going to wear a logo supporting the team's sponsor, a pork manufacturer, "because of my religion," that player would be fired pronto.

I guess we'll see if that's true if Muslim player Nazem Kadri, who eschews pork (and alcohol) because of his religion, is ever asked to wear a Honey Baked Ham logo on his jersey.

by Anonymousreply 88January 20, 2023 1:43 PM

R88, Let's see. What we know now is Provorov invoked his religion to claim that he can't recognize gay pride. Does his religion say that gays can't possibly be proud?

by Anonymousreply 89January 20, 2023 3:06 PM

[quote] Any company that wants to hire him to advertise now won't touch him.

Countdown to him becoming a spokesman for Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby in 3... 2... 1...

by Anonymousreply 90January 20, 2023 3:14 PM

I'm not understanding why so many people believe he has to conform to the others. Can't he 'speak his truth' (which is steeped in his Russian Orthodox faith) and be accepted ? If it's not something he supports, then it's not something he supports - be done with it. It's part of 'diversity', where not everyone is the same but all should feel welcome.

by Anonymousreply 91January 20, 2023 4:03 PM

R91, you ignore the contract he chose to sign. No one is saying he can’t believe what he believes, but when you sign a contract which undoubtedly requires you to uphold the morals of the organization you are giving over some of your freedoms of expression in exchange for your pay.

by Anonymousreply 92January 20, 2023 4:18 PM

R92 I am certain that clause in the contract he signed is very vaguely worded, and open to loose interpretation which covers his decision.

by Anonymousreply 93January 20, 2023 4:21 PM

[quote]No one is saying he can’t believe what he believes, but when you sign a contract which undoubtedly requires you to uphold the morals of the organization you are giving over some of your freedoms of expression in exchange for your pay.

He's still employed, so it seems the team is fine with his decision.

by Anonymousreply 94January 20, 2023 5:09 PM

There's that one Russian player who denounced Putin. I think the rest are trash, including this guy and Ovechkin. Putin supporters should be banned from the league.

by Anonymousreply 95January 20, 2023 5:31 PM

[quote] gay pride. Does his religion say that gays can't possibly be proud?

Proud of what?

Is your pride more important than his pride?

by Anonymousreply 96January 20, 2023 9:46 PM

[quote] Is your pride more important than his pride?

R96, WTF does he have to feel proud about exactly?

by Anonymousreply 97January 21, 2023 7:31 AM

He looks like utter shit for 23-years-old. I thought he was closer to 40.

by Anonymousreply 98January 21, 2023 7:44 AM

Most right wingers will say when they talk about 'woke' and 'virtue signalling' they're talking about the trans stuff, or the over the top climate change protests, etc. They'll emphatically say they don't mean things like gay rights and same sex marriage.

Then stuff like this happens and they say it's woke virtual signalling. So it IS woke to be favour of gay rights according to them after all.

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2023 8:07 AM

It can be true that he AND the jersey are stupid

by Anonymousreply 100January 21, 2023 8:09 AM

R98 russians are born suicidal and it really wears them down quickly

by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2023 8:10 AM

While I think the guy's beliefs on gays are bullshit, I just had to ask myself, "Would I want to wear a pride jersey that had the new pride flag with one or both of the trans and blm stuff on it?" (hell no) to get my view on the matter. Don't make him wear the damn jersey. Just play hockey.

by Anonymousreply 102January 21, 2023 8:16 AM

R75 I didn't know who he was, so I looked up his recent podcast and he sounds like a prick. He says Provorov is a "hero" and says if he is a homophobe then he should be allowed to be. (Though says if people are against the military maybe they should find a different country to live in.)

And apparently because he argued in favour of same sex marriage back in 2011 he's got the "ultimate free pass" to speak on gay rights.

I suppose the funny thing is he sounds really annoyed, so he's clearly rattled by it.

by Anonymousreply 103January 21, 2023 8:21 AM

Sean Avery is a prime example of a stoner jock who got old and became a stoner Libertarian, i.e. he clings to his more liberal identity and while spouting the same talking points as the conservatives and refusing to admit he’s become a cranky old man like the rest of them.

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2023 8:41 AM

All the team was trying to show was some support for a minority that’s been shit on for most of humanity.

He couldn’t even muster the courage to do that.

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2023 9:02 PM

Wearing a pride jersey doesn’t make you gay. It doesn’t mean you even accept gays.

It just means you support their struggle.

by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2023 9:04 PM

His struggle is bigger than someone else's struggle.

by Anonymousreply 107January 21, 2023 9:12 PM

He should be sent back to Russia and forced to participate in their ill-fated war. Then he'll know some struggle...

by Anonymousreply 108January 21, 2023 10:38 PM

The New York Rangers decided at the very last minute not to wear pride jerseys/tape on their Pride Night game. There are also two Russian players on the team. So you do the math. Either come down like a ton of bricks on players who won't wear the jersey (and turn the fans against you as well as potential legal action) or stop having teams wear jerseys unless you get 100% buy-in well in advance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 30, 2023 1:17 AM

[quote] There are also two Russian players on the team

The Russians think everything about themselves and their culture is best -- why the hell don't they stay over there and play in the Russian NHL?

by Anonymousreply 110January 30, 2023 2:41 AM

[quote] The Russians think everything about themselves and their culture is best

95% of human beings think everything about themselves and their culture is best.

by Anonymousreply 111January 30, 2023 2:53 AM

How much money do you think players make in the Russian hockey league, r110? That's 90% of it right there. Also the NHL is believed to be the best hockey league in the world, so why wouldn't one want to make it there? The Russian players shouldn't have been allowed to stay in the league, but the NHL isn't exactly known for bravery on issues like this. I just hope to God that if the war is still going on in 2024 they get booted from the Olympics, but if the NHL is cowardly, the IOC is basically pure evil.

by Anonymousreply 112January 30, 2023 3:00 AM

[quote] I just hope to God that if the war is still going on in 2024 they get booted from the Olympics,

I'm with you here. Screw Russia -- I'm sick of everyone treating them with kid gloves. BAN them!

by Anonymousreply 113January 30, 2023 3:05 AM

I don't think he should go to prison but his boss should have fired him for being public about his homophobia. Wear the damn jersey or don't wear it but certainly don't to the media and say the equivalent of "I ain't wearing no faggy jersey because it goes against muh beliefs, muh Bible and muh god". The whole situation is extremely trashy and it makes the team look trashy by association.

by Anonymousreply 114January 30, 2023 3:51 AM

[quote] I ain't wearing no faggy jersey

Is that a quote? Verbatim?

by Anonymousreply 115January 30, 2023 3:55 AM

I'm sure a Russian sounds exactly like that, R114.

by Anonymousreply 116January 30, 2023 4:37 AM

I don’t wear my pride jersey either, I just kiss all the fellas and grab for the belt.

by Anonymousreply 117January 30, 2023 5:05 AM

Part 2 🤦🏻

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 20, 2023 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!