Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies! Tv Network

I absolutely love this channel. I never had it until recently when I finally bought a good antenna and now I receive Fox 5, and Movies! Is one of the sub channels. I watch this network all the time, they air so many great older films! Some of the films they air are better than the movies aired on TCM now.

They aired Valley of the Dolls at 8, and now they’re showing Peyton Place, followed by Return to Peyton Place. I wanna stay up but I need to sleep for work lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2023 1:24 AM

Thanks OP. 493 on Fios in NYC, thank you. Quality is decent too. Bizarre though because 493 works (Peyton Place on) but it does not even appear on the Fios guide channel.

I have also noticed that Paramount (streaming) now has zillions of old movies, some good stuff, many obscure. Quality varies.

Silents like Way Down East and and Phantom of the Opera and Orphans of the Storm; Early Talkies like Indiscreet; 1940s like Scarlett Street, Salome Where She Danced, The Outlaw; plus a load of potboilers like God’s Little Acre. Many British Rank studios crime movies from 50s and early 60s. Peplum movies. Then there are a load of 1970s TV movies. The problem is there is no way to sort them aside from alphabetically and there are many hundreds of titles.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2023 4:06 AM

R1 I don’t know many people who still have cable these days. I miss my Fios lowkey. I still use their internet but cut their cable. It became too expensive. I stream now.

My uncle has Spectrum and because I live within the same zip code as him (despite being 30 minute walk apart) I can download the app and stream the channels. I just don’t get every channel because I have Fios and not Spectrum

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2023 9:27 AM

is it commercial free? or limited commercials/ thx

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2023 10:22 AM

There are commercial interruptions, but I just DVR the films and watch later so I could zip past them.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2023 10:25 AM

R3 it’s a regular channel you get with an antenna. Not a cable channel.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2023 11:53 AM

I watch it all the time.

Currently showing Hitchcock's great "Foreign Correspondent" which has a terrific ending with the major characters aboard an airplane crossing the Atlantic.

Next up is Frank Capra's "Mr Deeds Goes to Town".

Lots of other good ones today like "Bell, Book and Candle" and later "Flight of the Phoenix".

Here's today's schedule. Central Time Zone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2023 12:15 PM

Ooh, a triple feature of Women's Prison, Girls in Prison, and Caged tomorrow. I wish I had this channel.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2023 12:39 PM

Love this channel. It's like TCM but with commercials.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2023 12:49 PM

R6 you always “watch this all the time” for everything. Sounds like you have too much time on your hands.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2023 2:50 PM

R7 get an antenna and you’ll most likely get it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2023 2:50 PM

[quote]Love this channel. It's like TCM but with commercials.

Really? Do they have a WINE CLUB? A CRUISE?

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2023 3:04 PM

How funny, OP. I was switching channels and came to VotD just as Patty and Susan were going at it.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2023 3:06 PM

Cable is such a waste of money. I get over 50 channels over the air for free. And just like cable, there's probably a dozen or so that I actually watch.

Movies! is one of my favorites, also. They were even better several years ago, when they pledged to never time compress, or edit for time, any movie they showed. This was announced on the Movies! title card shown before each movie. I suppose they do both now, but I've rarely noticed a difference.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2023 3:10 PM

r13 Since It's on broadcast TV, it's subject to FCC regulation, so they have to heavily censor their movies for language and content. TCM doesn't ever censor the movies it shows.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2023 3:26 PM

I noticed that they bleeped out "fag".

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2023 3:30 PM

It's not TCM by any means. Too many commercials, the same films over and over (best to watch the noir nights) and not always great quality. But an alternative, especially if you can record and skip all the truly terrible ads.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2023 4:15 PM

I actually don’t mind their ads because it’s usually just commercials for other movies they will be playing within The next few days.

Yes, they have censor their movies. It’s like when you would watch a theatrical film make their tv premiere on NBC or CBS or FOX. I don’t mind because most of the films they air are old films that don’t require much censoring to begin with.

TCM is a cable channel, and one that only comes with some tv packages these days.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2023 6:55 PM

Also they don’t repeat films that often. Usually they repeat some on the weekend afternoon but that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2023 6:56 PM

On right now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2023 6:59 PM

They repeat their pictures constantly, sometimes the same one 3 times in one day.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2023 8:41 PM

R20 sure…

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2023 8:47 PM

On right now...

[quote]A terminally ill philosophy professor decides to use his last days by killing someone he determines to be truly evil, but first gets embroiled in his female friend's marital difficulties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2023 9:48 PM

Followed by ...

The Breaking Point

Patricia Neal was such a great screen presence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2023 10:21 PM

Grandly is adding Movies! Channel to its channel list.

They are an app that only carry clean family friendly channels, like MeTV, Hallmark etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2023 2:13 PM

I recently switched back to Spectrum after two years with RCN and was shocked that TCM was no longer free and I now had to purchase some ridiculous package for $10/month.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2023 3:18 PM

R25 yes, TCM isn’t free with all cable networks anymore. It’s premium now, not basic.

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2023 3:24 PM

A lot of TCM content is also on HBOMax, so if you subscribe to it, you might not need it on your cable package. (And if you have HBO on your cable, you can get HBOMax for free.)

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2023 6:06 PM

HBOMax has a section that holds some TCM movies. Not that many. They show a lot of movies. Even obscure ones. But so does Movies!

Also, that section will be leaving once the merger with Discovery is fully done.

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2023 6:07 PM

Monday...how's this for a double feature?

Trip to Bountiful

Whatever Happened to Aunt Alice?

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2023 11:29 PM

One of my very favorites...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2023 11:32 PM

Now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2023 1:11 AM

Movies! is 1250 on Spectrum NYC

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2023 1:16 AM

If you have an antenna in NY, movies is channel 5-2

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2023 1:21 AM

Botulism *and* a Teutonic Rosemary DeCamp!

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2023 1:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!