Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What went wrong with the hyped up movie "Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody" ?

Can we say that the $45M musical biopic "Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody" is officially a flop ? It's been in the planning stages for years, had a talented cast, had Whitney singing throughout the 2.5 hour film. It opened Christmas weekend and has only taken in $22M at the domestic box office, with a Metascore of 51. $22M - which is around what it was projected to take in the holiday weekend it opened (instead, it took in less than $5M in the USA and Canada).

I didn't see much promotion for this movie except television ads in December. None of the cast (to my knowledge) did much press or TV interviews. No one did 'The View' which would have had Whoopi, Sara and Sunny gush all over it.

Houston had / still has a huge fanbase. Has everyone lost interest ?

by Anonymousreply 125May 11, 2023 3:17 PM

Does she, though?

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2023 12:21 AM

The marketing campaign was pretty bad, I hardly heard anything about it.

At least it's doing better than Babylon

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2023 12:24 AM

The campaign made it look light hearted and like it would skip all the dark stuff (which it largely does) and I think people decided they'd rather not waste their time on a censored, family-sanctioned, sanitized version of what was a messy waste of a life. And the movie is largely that, never delving into why she used nor how bad her usage was. There's no drama, no conflict, no depth and there's already been a Lifetime-level TV movie. No need to go to the theatre to essentially see the same shallow shit.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2023 12:28 AM

I agree the film was poorly marketed and yes, younger people who are the biggest movie attending audience, are basically the children of Whitney's core fan group.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2023 12:31 AM

Whitney was no Freddie Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2023 12:35 AM

Word of mouth was atrocious.

What I know about Whitney could fit on the head of a pin and even I could tell from previews they played fast and loose with dates.

The actress playing Whitney had all the warmth of a hologram.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2023 12:36 AM

There have already been a few Whitney bio-pics for TV - so we have already seen this. This new movie is not covering anything new

That and new generation doesn't know who Whitney Houston is

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2023 12:37 AM

It wasn't promoted at all.

And yes everyone knows she was a druggie who ruined her voice by smoking crack. There's not much else to say, and it's not that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2023 12:46 AM

[quote] It wasn't promoted at all.

I saw an insane number of commercials for it.

But they were playing as early as late summer/early fall for a movie that didn't come out until Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2023 12:49 AM

⬇️⬇️⬇️The critical reception for a formulaic, jukebox musical that is a sanitized version of Whitney's life.

-There are so many scenes of Naomi Ackie lip-synching full performances of these songs, and all you can say is, "Yeah, Whitney Houston was such a great singer." I don't need this movie to know that. I can just stay home and listen to her, which is an infinitely more rewarding experience.

-Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody is yet another music biopic that feels like a checklist of events rather than riveting drama.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2023 12:56 AM

OP, I guess you forgot, but Christmas weekend and several days after saw some of the worst weather, nationwide, that most people have ever seen on a holiday. A lot people spent Christmas in an airport or simply stuck at home.

My boomer parents who I visited wanted to see it, so did I, but we decided it was way too cold to go out to a theater.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2023 12:56 AM

consider yourselves lucky R11

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2023 12:58 AM

The actress who played her is not that cute either.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2023 1:10 AM

R7, disagree that young people don't know who Whitney is. I Wanna Dance With Somebody and I Will Always Love You are big hits in streaming and downloads, people haven't forgotten her songs (that's probably why the movie is called I Wanna Dance With Somebody)

I think it's a combination of not enough hype plus what r3 said about the whitewashing

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2023 1:17 AM

[quote] The campaign made it look light hearted and like it would skip all the dark stuff (which it largely does) and I think people decided they'd rather not waste their time on a censored, family-sanctioned, sanitized version of what was a messy waste of a life.

Family-sanctioned and sanitized didn't help but I really think the casting tanked the film. The actress is probably very talented but she did not look like Whitney, who was a stunningly beautiful print model, and when I saw the actress who was to portray her it was a big let down. Young Whitney was a great beauty and that was an essential component of her appeal and her success. Then I heard the actress wasn't going to sing so I thought "why bother?"

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2023 1:28 AM

Yea. I kept seeing the promos on TV and the lady playing Whitney looked way too OLD.

I remember when Whitney came on the scene - she was the freshest, hottest thing around. Her songs brought everyone to the dance floor.

The girl in the previews looked like the much older Whitney who was going around proclaiming herself "Diva" and singing and sweating like a linebacker. Don't nobody want to see that.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2023 1:33 AM

The Lifetime biopic was sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2023 1:52 AM

Turns out her life wasn’t so interesting

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2023 2:08 AM

I didn't see it because I don't like watching people ruin their lives with drugs. I see that on the job, why should I pay to see more of it on the big screen?

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2023 2:21 AM

I’ll watch it on cable. That said, I’ve already seen every TV movie and documentary about Whitney. I’m sure this doesn’t have much new in it

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2023 2:39 AM

This is honestly the first I've heard of this movie. I've only seen two movies in theatres in the space of a year. Barbarian and M3gan. Everything else I've watched on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2023 2:41 AM

I saw the trailer a bunch of times before other movies; it looked laughably bad.

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2023 2:45 AM

Every year at Oscar time, Whoopi and Sunny of 'The View' say more black actors and actresses need to be honored, and Sunny questions where are the movies targeted for Black and Hispanic audiences ? Whoopi gets credit for saying, 'they need to be made first', then the actors and actresses will get recognition. Whoopi has also pointed out that black audiences need to support these movies.

The only movie which has been supported that way seems to be 'Wakanda Forever'. Both "Till" and "Whitney" have flopped at the box office, as well as 'Aretha' last year and 'West Side Story'. So it seems that black audiences are not rushing to the theaters to see these movies with black casts, like Whoopi and Sunny expected them to be doing.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2023 2:46 AM

The Aretha movie suffered a lot of the same things as the Whitney movie. Tepid at best, worshipping its subject, with no real attempts to give the movie a heart, or nuance, or a story that hasn't been told a million times on Behind The Music.

Bohemian Rhapsody and the Elton John movie were equally tepid in storytelling but in those cases, both Rami Malek and Taron Edgerton were able to transcend the respective scripts' severe limitations.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2023 3:14 AM

The real biopic everyone wants to see is Naomi Judd: The Mommie Dearest of Kentucky. Rene Zellweger will lost a hundred pounds and wear 50 pounds worth of facial prosthetics and make-up. Margo Robbie as Ashley recreating the infamous interpretive dance at the Lincoln Memorial. And Rosie O'Donnell as Wynonna having her first scissoring experience dressed in her biker outfit.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2023 3:34 AM

R25 is one long

OH DEAR

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2023 3:39 AM

That does sound fun, R25.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2023 6:45 AM

If this movie was heavily marketed, as someone claimed, I missed all the marketing. Yes, I did see some passing references to it, but, having heard nothing about it, I honestly didn't know whether it was a biopic or a documentary. I assume that, whichever it was, it was probably some C-list quickie.

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2023 6:53 AM

[Quote] The only movie which has been supported that way seems to be 'Wakanda Forever'.

Woman King was also supported

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2023 1:24 PM

I love Whitney and think of her life story as a real tragedy of exploitation ... it should have been a film I was looking forward to seeing but instead, the minute I saw the trailer I was turned off. The lead actress doesn't have Witney's softness and charm... a real miss. I decided to pass.

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2023 1:31 PM

[quote]The lead actress doesn't have Witney's softness and charm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2023 1:41 PM

Not interested in seeing any Whitney biopics that don't include this pivotal moment:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2023 1:44 PM

I don’t see why this movie is necessary. Everything about her life, from her best performances to her worst spectacles, is already available online. You can even read her autopsy if you want.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2023 2:39 PM

r30 here... Whitney had her softness and charm in the pre-bobby era,,,

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2023 3:17 PM

[quote]Whoopi has also pointed out that black audiences need to support these movies.

People go to the movies to be entertained, not as a defiant act of racial justice!

I guess Whoopie has never heard of Tyler Perry and his massive cut-rate Chitlin Circuit output, or the many offerings supplied by Oprah Winfrey's "O" cable channel?

Black audiences just want quality fare just like everybody else, it's just that some people feel they deserve awards on a yearly basis just for being black.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2023 3:51 PM

Aren't there already a bunch of Whitney documentaries that were released in the past few years? The public has probably gotten enough Whitney for a while.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2023 4:23 PM

This movie was Clive Davis' celebration of his legacy. I'd be interested in a film that told the real story of Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2023 6:13 PM

I think we're all just getting sick of these fucking biopics. Bohemian Rhapsody was good, but I've had sufficient. No desire to see Elton, Elvis or Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2023 7:12 PM

I also thought "Judy" with Renee Z was disappointing at best when that was released a few years ago. Yet she got an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2023 8:22 PM

The movie was simply titled "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" when the trailers went out in late summer / early fall. It didn't get much reaction from audiences. Shortly before it's release in December, the studios rushed to retitle it as: "Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody", hoping Houston's name would get a better response. It didn't.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2023 3:40 PM

That girl on MADTv did a better Whitney than this "actress."

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2023 4:01 PM

The title is stupid as well.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2023 4:27 PM

Too soon for another one. At least it was better than JHud's Aretha bio. I know of no one who raved about that. With all of the interesting films and creative TV around why would you waste your time on either of these bios?

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2023 4:31 PM

None of them are even close to the truth about their subjects. We haven’t really progressed much beyond NIGHT AND DAY, or A SONG TO REMEMBER, have we?

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2023 5:09 PM

Sadly, everyone already knew how this one ends.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2023 6:04 PM

Because I Wanna Dance With Somebody is a strange title for a film about a crack head.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2023 6:06 PM

She certainly wanted to dance with the pipe and the powder

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2023 6:19 PM

I watched my screener last week. I thought Naomi Ackie did a great job considering she was handed a paint by number script and had to lip sync through the whole thing. The failure of this movie sits squarely on the shoulders of Anthony McCarten, who is the biggest hack currently working in Hollywood. He also has no idea how to construct a timeline. I'm not saying everything has to follow the truth 100%. Things can be altered for dramatic license. But Freddie's fans and Whitney's fans know when certain songs came out and it's really annoying to watch someone completely piss on the history when it doesn't at all contribute to making the story flow better. And if that was McCarten's only fault, it could be forgiven, but he is a terrible writer.

Supporting performances were all over the place. Ashton Sanders ought to get a Razzie nom for his portrayal of Bobby Brown. Poor Tamara Tunie was given very little to do, as McCarten decided to make Daddy the villain and so there was no room for Cissy after the beginning of the film. Stanley Tucci did a good job as Clive Davis, if you actually believe Clive Davis was a sweet old mensch who never got angry or manipulated his artists.

I was a Whitney fan (and still am) but not a super fan, so there were a lot of live performances that they recreated with Whitney's actual vocal that I was hearing for the first time, and for me, that was thrilling because the woman had a VOICE. And since the film itself was such garbage, I appreciated the time they did take to let us hear those performances. I came away from the film with an even bigger admiration for her voice.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2023 6:19 PM

Aline, a biopic cum fan tribute to Celine Dion, is a surprisingly entertaining if sometimes surreal movie. I found it free on prime.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2023 6:31 PM

Is that the one where the same person plays Celine from a kid to her current age?

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2023 7:38 PM

She simply didn't do enough pre-release publicity.

So lazy.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2023 7:51 PM

I feel biopics are better when the it's a subject relating to real history and thus cannot be easily sanitized like with Malcolm X. Or if the family and estate is not heavily involved because revisionism is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2023 8:06 PM

I hope Prince never gets a biopic. He's way too complex a person to minimize to a two hour film. Maybe a multiple-season television series and that still wouldn't scratch the surface. Only he understood himself because he was a total enigma to his wives, friends and family. The biopic probably will happen because of his greedy ass family. They love making money off of him.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2023 8:17 PM

R36 and R52, totally agree. One of the Whitney docs was great and seemed to tell her real, tragic story (I forget which one...there were two I believe). I have no desire to see a cheesy portrayal of this tragic entertainer in a scripted, sanitized mess of a film. This is why Amy Winehouse, Prince and MJ biopics will NEVER work. It's like "celebrity karaoke" and people don't wanna see that shit. I want the whole story about their lives...the good and the bad. Amy was another heartbreaking yet entertaining documentary.

by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2023 8:21 PM

One thing I felt the film never really covered was why Whitney chose to release such bland, middle-of-the-road music in the 80s. Was that just her taste, or was she playing it safe because she wanted to appeal to as wide an audience as possible?

by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2023 8:27 PM

She did what she was told by her record company R55.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2023 8:36 PM

Movie bios are NOT to be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2023 9:18 PM

R43 - And to think when JHud was making the rounds on TV talk shows, every host had to say something to the effect of "I'm hearing Oscar buzz for you and this movie". And she believed them. Then everyone involved with the film was shocked ! - SHOCKED ! - that the film was ignored for better films and acting.

by Anonymousreply 58January 18, 2023 9:29 PM

I thought that having Cary Grant play me in "Night and Day" was perfect casting.

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2023 9:30 PM

People are tired of biopics of singers. Anyone remember this film? Andra Day won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2023 10:21 PM

"I feel biopics are better when the it's a subject relating to real history and thus cannot be easily sanitized l"

If Whitney's story has a place in history, it's as a casualty of the drug epidemic that swept across the civilized world in the late 20th century.

And that's what was sanitized out of the film, right? Seriously, take away the drugs and what's left - a pretty girl singing mainstream hits. Which we can all get on youtube for free.

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2023 10:48 PM

[quote] [R43] - And to think when JHud was making the rounds on TV talk shows, every host had to say something to the effect of "I'm hearing Oscar buzz for you and this movie". And she believed them. Then everyone involved with the film was shocked ! - SHOCKED ! - that the film was ignored for better films and acting.

JHud was great, the movie sucked. Her performance was the best thing about it. I am a big Aretha fan and JHud evoked Aretha for me. She disappeared and became Aretha. It is an accomplishment for a singer of note to put forth a credible portrayal of another very well-known and familiar singer.

by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2023 11:08 PM

R6, so did Whitney. She was a very unpleasant tough woman-

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2023 11:15 PM

And we really haven't heard much more about Andra Day since Oscar night, 2021.

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2023 12:16 AM

[quote]Or if the family and estate is not heavily involved because revisionism is inevitable.

r52 exactly. The family and estate authorized biopics are usually trash and totally revisionist. I applaud any celebrity who lets the real story be told. Wendy Williams didn't do a great job with Aaliyah's biopic, but her own was very truthful and people enjoyed it.

I really wanted Aaliyah to get a big screen story like her family wanted, but I'm sure it would omit all the controversial things like R. Kelly, and people have had enough with these biopics.

by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2023 12:53 AM

I would have called it "Just the Lonely Talking Again" after an album cut. And one of her best songs, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2023 1:39 AM

[quote] JHud evoked Aretha for me. She disappeared and became Aretha. It is an accomplishment for a singer of note to put forth a credible portrayal of another very well-known and familiar singer.

This boggles the mind. Jennifer Hudson is a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2023 2:21 AM

I never ever saw JHud disappear and become Aretha. Never. She was playing JHud.

by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2023 12:58 PM

JHud wasn’t even that good in her role in DREAMGIRLS. She seems like a very nice person, but she’s not all that.

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2023 3:03 PM

JHUD at her worst was the Sex and the City Movie (the second one, I think). I STILL love to reenact the moment when she is gifted new shoes. It the worst acting I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2023 3:38 PM

She was just okay as Effie in Dreamgirls. That was an Oscar bait role for whoever got it. She lucked out big time with that part. A fat Fantasia would have been a MUCH more interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2023 6:51 PM

Lousy movie about a supremely gifted singer who rocketed to success and then declined in a spiral of substance abuse all the while trying to be something she was not. Hard to make a good movie about it unless you end it in the mid 80s.

by Anonymousreply 72January 19, 2023 6:59 PM

End it in the mid 80s ? That would be an awfully short movie since Houston got her start in the mid 80s. It would run about 15 minutes covering her entry into pop music that summer.

by Anonymousreply 73January 19, 2023 7:17 PM

Boring, very sanitized, fangurl version.

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2023 7:20 PM

"...gifted singer who rocketed to success and then declined in a spiral of substance abuse all the while trying to be something she was not."

If they'd actually made THIS movie, the movie about a bisexual addict who was being forced into the "pop princess" mold, it might have been interesting, or even good. But well, it seems they tried to make a feel-good movie about an addict who died of her addictions, which is as dishonest as filmmaking gets.

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2023 7:47 PM

If they cast Austin Butler in the role of Houston, we'd be talking Oscar buzz for him right now.

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2023 8:26 PM

I think one of the issues is I am not sure that Whitney's music is as loved as it's made out to be. It doesn't seem to have the same connection with newer generations as Michael Jackson or Queen.

Also, it just wasn't a very good movie. Kasi Lemmons did such an amazing job with her first film, Eve's Bayou but her subsequent films have been really disappointing. I thought Harriet, another biography, was very flat, just like this film.

by Anonymousreply 77February 4, 2023 5:26 AM

It's tv movie fodder. We saw her deteriorate on reality tv, why pay to see it in the theater?

by Anonymousreply 78February 4, 2023 7:32 AM

Whoever the continuity and era expert was on this film should never work again. It gets everything wrong with the look. Clothes are from different periods. A 2006 Escalade in scenes from 1993. An exterior shot of 2010s Chrysler 300 limo that turns into an 89 Cadillac then inside its a 2000s Lincoln. Lots a small stuff that most people probably don’t notice. The look of many scenes and locations is so CGI they look ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 79February 9, 2023 4:19 AM

A lot of biopics suffer from not having any real story. Just a birth to death timeline of events with no plot. It’s like a Halloween party where they reenact big moments in someone’s career.

“What’s Love Got to Do with It”, “Private Parts”, and “Walk The Line” were stories centered around relationships. Ike and Tina, Howard and his wife Alison, and Johnny and June. Even “Amadeus” was about his rivalry with Salieri (which wasn’t real), “The People vs Larry Flynt” was about Larry Flynt vs the fight against pornography.

Good biopics typically choose 2 stories about a persons life and make them into two plots that create a story.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” sucked. It had no story and neither did this movie.

by Anonymousreply 80February 9, 2023 5:18 AM

You could just piece together YouTube videos of the actual performances and you’d have 95% of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 81February 9, 2023 5:20 AM

"... the movie about a bisexual addict who was being forced into the "pop princess" mold"

That was my biopic!

by Anonymousreply 82February 9, 2023 5:25 AM

The costumes look like a drag queen made them in their grandma’s basement

by Anonymousreply 83February 9, 2023 5:26 AM

I'm not going to lie. I rarely get this stuff wrong but I thought this was going to be huge. All of America loved Whitney and the trailer looked so good. I bet in the days of Blockbuster and cable this would have been a huge success despite a mediocre box office.

by Anonymousreply 84February 9, 2023 5:30 AM

Is it at least better than that shitty telefilm bio that Angela Bassett directed? Now, that was a 💩 of a movie. Made me hate Angela for a second.

by Anonymousreply 85February 9, 2023 11:52 PM

Suprising though that it's doing better internationally, almost 60M worlwide now. It's especially big in the UK. Maybe because the lead actress is a Brit.

by Anonymousreply 86February 10, 2023 1:54 AM

R86 No I think it's the post pandemic here really. I bet itd going to do well on streaming. The only profitable theater movies have been must see, big events. You get my drift.

by Anonymousreply 87February 10, 2023 2:43 AM

Instead of I Wanna Dance with Somebody this should’ve been called How Will I Know?

by Anonymousreply 88February 10, 2023 3:17 AM

I just watched this on Netflix last night. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Some observations

- It was way too long. They could've shaved 30 minutes off the run time.

- Naomi Ackle looks nothing like Whitney Houston. She looked more like Brandy Norwood. The fact that there was zero resemblance to Whitney was really distracting.

- They made Cissy Houston look too good, and they made Whitney's father the villain. I'm guessing that's because Whitney's dad is dead and that cunt Cissy is still alive. I'malso guessing because Pat Houston was one of the producers, she wanted to make sure she didn't piss off Cissy too much.

- They actually were brave enough to acknowledge that Whitney and Robyn were lovers, though when Whitney married Bobby, they made it seem that Robyn didn't really have much of a problem with it. Pretty sure that wasn't the case in real life.

- They did a good job of recreating some of Whitney's videos.

Overall, it was a fairly standard biopic - the rise, the fall, the comeback, and the fall again. A different actress for Whitney could have elevated the quality.

by Anonymousreply 89April 29, 2023 4:06 PM

This movie was about Whitney?!?

I thought it was a promotional reel for Clive Davis, to show what a musical and business genius he is, no?

by Anonymousreply 90April 29, 2023 4:09 PM

It was hyped in terms of "Whitney was a huge star and this is her biopic," but it was made of fun of really from the jump. There was no critical hype and the more people saw it, the worse the buzz became.

by Anonymousreply 91April 29, 2023 4:11 PM

Ridiculous. Too bad Deb Wilson is old and tatted up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 29, 2023 4:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 29, 2023 4:14 PM

[Quote] OP, I guess you forgot, but Christmas weekend and several days after saw some of the worst weather, nationwide, that most people have ever seen on a holiday. A lot people spent Christmas in an airport or simply stuck at home.

[Quote] My boomer parents who I visited wanted to see it, so did I, but we decided it was way too cold to go out to a theater.

and now everyone has forgotten the film R11 and nobody saw the film because they chose to stay home.

by Anonymousreply 94April 29, 2023 4:19 PM

It's too expensive to go to the movies. Especially for families. It's easier to have a movie night and pop the corn at home, and a hell of a lot more comfortable. I'm of the belief that only teens and early 20's are actively going to the theater again. They want bragging rights on social media. **eyeroll**

by Anonymousreply 95April 29, 2023 9:18 PM

It would have been better with Oscar winner Jamie Lee Curtis as Oscar winner Jamie Lee Curtis in a scene where Whitney explores sobriety with the intersex crowd

by Anonymousreply 96April 29, 2023 9:25 PM

I wanna drown with somebody, with somebody who’s got crack.

by Anonymousreply 97April 29, 2023 9:27 PM

Coulda been worse…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 29, 2023 9:33 PM

OP in a word: EVERYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 99April 29, 2023 10:41 PM

R48: agree about the timing of songs. Maybe it makes me on some sort of spectrum but it drives me nuts when simple things like that are done incorrectly. They have Whitney recording Where Do Broken Hearts Go for the first album. Showing a great vocal performance of One Moment In Time (from the late 80s I’m guessing) right after a scene where Clive Davis speaks to Whitney about her voice suffering (which I doubt he would have done till the mid 90s) was stupid too.

by Anonymousreply 100April 29, 2023 11:20 PM

Whitney was just a performer, with lots of bad shows towards the end.

Freddie was a genius composer with a backlog of stellar performances.

by Anonymousreply 101April 29, 2023 11:37 PM

R100 the continuity was ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 102April 30, 2023 3:46 AM

It was bad—laugh outloud bad at some points—but not as bad as its reviews. The lead actress is good. Some of the scenes between her and the Bobby actor were quite good and legit funny. All in all, I liked it better than the Aretha bio pick starring Jennifer Hudson

by Anonymousreply 103April 30, 2023 3:56 AM

R103 the JHud Aretha pic was too unnnhumph 💅🏾

by Anonymousreply 104April 30, 2023 5:10 AM

Was it at least better than that Lifetime claptrap that Angela Bassett directed? Now, that was awful.

by Anonymousreply 105May 1, 2023 12:51 AM

It was too soon, people struggle to feel empathy with someone who destroyed themselves. She wasn't a true artist in any case, just a jukebox singing other people's songs.

A Debbie Reynolds biopic might have done more at the box office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 1, 2023 1:37 AM

[quote]She wasn't a true artist in any case, just a jukebox singing other people's songs.

What a moronic thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 107May 1, 2023 1:59 AM

"She wasn't a true artist in any case, just a jukebox singing other people's songs."

So was Elvis but that movie was a hit

by Anonymousreply 108May 1, 2023 2:02 AM

If they had called it "Miss Warwick's Less Talented Cousin" DLers would have showed up en masse.

by Anonymousreply 109May 1, 2023 2:07 AM

Perhaps "Miss Warwick's Less-But-Not-Least-Talented Cousin, R109.

Cissy owes me $13.23 for lunch last week and I want her to know there are fucking consequences.

by Anonymousreply 110May 2, 2023 1:32 AM

R98 THAT movie seems to have disappeared the same weekend it opened. More than a decade in the making, and poof! it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 111May 2, 2023 2:17 AM

Agree with R89. I just saw this on a plane and everyone was watching it. I don’t remember any publicity for it or even that it came out, so it was news to me.

I enjoyed it but I also don’t think Robyn went quietly. I wish they had dealt more with the “closet kills” angle because in my opinion, her not being able to live as her true self killer her. That’s why she used- to escape her family and their expectations of her. They touched on it a little but not enough. I felt deeply sad for Whitney after watching it. Was she ever happy after becoming a big star? I wish she hadn’t purchased that last hit and taken that stupid bath after doing it. She may have been able to come back.

by Anonymousreply 112May 4, 2023 11:18 AM

R112 Actually, in real life, Robyn *did* go quietly.

When she realized Whitney was too deep into her addiction and there was nothing she could for her, Robyn literally walked out of Whitney's life.

by Anonymousreply 113May 4, 2023 11:22 AM

R113 that's sad. I think Robyn was the love of her life. She should have stayed with her.

by Anonymousreply 114May 4, 2023 3:22 PM

R114 ABC aired a really good documentary on Whitney Houston last year, and there was a really surprising statement from Bobby Brown at the end of it. He said if Whitney's family had accepted Robyn, Whitney might still be alive today.

by Anonymousreply 115May 4, 2023 3:38 PM

Debra Wilson was brilliant as a later career Whitney and was her time on mad tv was perfect timing as that was around the time Whitney started going off the rails publicly, around 1998.

Perhaps if the movie focused on the last chapter/years of her life and career it would’ve been more interesting but Clive, pat and cissy wouldn’t let that happen. The actress is very talented but it’s didn’t capture any of the megawatt star power she had for a time, I don’t know if anyone could.

Also, maybe it is too soon for a bio pic. Elvis has been dead for 45 years and Freddie was dead for 25 when their movies came out.

Coal Miners Daughter is still the gold standard for a musical bio pic.

by Anonymousreply 116May 4, 2023 4:35 PM

Cissy is a horrible woman. People seem to be afraid to say that. But it’s true. Whitney’s brothers and father were freeloading off of her too. She paid for her brother’s’ addictions as well. Damn Whitney for getting hooked on that shit too.

Her whole immediate family was a bunch of mooches.

by Anonymousreply 117May 9, 2023 3:52 PM

Sing. Deny lesbian relationship. Snort coke. Sing more. Marry crackhead. Smoke crack. Sing really badly. Attempt comeback while on drugs. Sing even worse. Go to awards show. Snort coke. Drown in bathtub of Beverly Hilton Hotel.

The End

by Anonymousreply 118May 9, 2023 3:59 PM

I kinda liked it.

by Anonymousreply 119May 9, 2023 5:01 PM

The actress they got to play Whitney looked more like Bobby Brown in a wig.

by Anonymousreply 120May 9, 2023 5:20 PM

R117: so true. The two Whitney documentaries that came out 4-5 years ago show that more than the film, which of course couldn’t show Cissy in a bad light as it was made with the family’s involvement. Bobby wasn’t good for Whitney (and I think she retreated from the limelight so as not to outshine him after The Bodyguard and I hate him for his part in robbing us of more Whitney music at peak vocal time) but she was fucked from day 1 with the mother, father and brothers she had.

by Anonymousreply 121May 9, 2023 5:50 PM

The two members of The Sweet Inspirations don’t have nice things to say about Cissy.

by Anonymousreply 122May 9, 2023 11:59 PM

It should've gone straight to streaming. It's not doing bad in Netflix - it's the #1 film in the US last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 10, 2023 12:08 AM

When I saw Cissy interviewed and she said she'd disown Whitney for being a lesbian, I was finished with that evil fucking cunt.

She's a big reason why her daughter was driven to drugs and an early death.

by Anonymousreply 124May 10, 2023 1:15 PM

Whitney definitely got her looks from her father. Cissy has terminal bitch face.

by Anonymousreply 125May 11, 2023 3:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!