Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Detroit-area city OKs animal sacrifice for religious reasons

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. (AP) — Residents of a Detroit-area community with a large Muslim population can sacrifice animals at home for religious reasons.

The Hamtramck City Council explicitly approved the practice, 3-2, Tuesday, another step in recognizing a cultural shift in a city whose 20th century history was shaped by Polish immigrants.

Muslims often slaughter animals, typically goats or sheep, or pay someone to do it for them during the holy holiday of Eid al-Adha. Meat is shared with family, friends and the poor.

The Hamtramck council in December had voted to continue a ban on animal slaughter but reversed course, at least for religious reasons, after legal advice and objections from people who follow the Islamic faith, the Detroit Free Press reported.

“If somebody wants to do it, they have a right to do their practice,” council member Mohammed Hassan said.

Dawud Walid, director of the Michigan branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said “it’s not something new or novel.”

“This is when Muslims recognize Abraham sacrificing a sheep instead of having to sacrifice his son,” Walid said, referring to the passage in the Quran and Old Testament.

Hamtramck residents will be required to notify the city, pay a fee and make their property available for inspection.

Hamtramck has a population 28,000. More than half of the residents are of Yemeni or Bangladeshi descent, the Free Press said.

----------------

Your move PETA. If you dare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 25, 2023 7:33 AM

Fucking hell.

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2023 10:31 PM

Eww.

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2023 10:34 PM

If I had a magic wand, I'd make religion disappear overnight.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2023 10:35 PM

[bold]ALL[/bold] religions R3.

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2023 10:39 PM

R4, yes.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2023 10:40 PM

Detroit pretty much has been all about human sacrifice for generations, so it's fine they extended to practice to the rest of life.

I do not judge.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2023 10:44 PM

Azealia Banks should love to Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2023 5:25 AM

Dallahface thread.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2023 5:31 AM

This case is not about keeping goats, transporting goats, or goat licensing!

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 5:40 AM

Uh oh. This is a slippery slope.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2023 5:45 AM

Religion is so disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 5:47 AM

You can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you say it's part of your religion.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2023 6:05 AM

[quote]The passing of the amendment is an example of the growing political and cultural clout of the city's Muslim population, most with roots in Yemen or Bangladesh. [bold]At Tuesday's meeting, some also expressed objections to the flying of a LGBTQ Pride flag on city property along Jos. Campau Avenue, saying it clashes with their faith. Some residents have accused the city of trying to undermine their religion with the flag and by trying to restrict animal sacrifices.[/bold]

Imagine being more upset by an assortment of colors on a piece of cloth than literal animal abuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2023 8:02 AM

And it's just the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 10:58 AM

Wait, what is the difference between this and just regular slaughterhouses or people hunting deer? I'm asking legitimately because I don't know about Muslim sacrifices. My creepy cousins hunted deer /elk in Idaho all the time growing up, and it was a huge gross ordeal to go to their house afterward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2023 11:11 AM

R15- Hunters should be CULLED

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2023 12:16 PM

What R15 said. There are plenty of Christians in SE MI who head north to their hunting camps on weekends and kill deer and eat them. And even if that's not explicitly religious, they definitely connect it somehow with their "rights in a Christian country" or however the hell they express these things. Also people killing a chicken in their backyard, or even a rabbit ...

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2023 12:21 PM

Animal sacrifice is barbaric!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2023 12:40 PM

They love our money, but our culture, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2023 1:52 PM

What a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2023 2:35 PM

[quote]Wait, what is the difference between this and just regular slaughterhouses or people hunting deer?

Not much.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2023 3:49 PM

Cawthorn is unhinged. I have seen people take up hunting and it changes their personalities. An example of the subculture is the idiot known as Ted nugent. Any interview he’s in he obnoxiously dominates the conversation and his thoughts are very concrete and his focus is limited to avoidance of any type of vulnerability in speech or actions. He views everything through a reductionist lens of the predator-prey perspective.

That article is correct about fox hunting inventing the ritual of blood smearing,but it’s usually on the right cheek. People will also feed horse carcasses to the foxhounds after they die after they shoot them. It’s weird and creepy. I don’t think these types of ritual acts help anyone. Rich or poor, some people seem to think exposing children to it is a good parenting choice, it’s really sad.

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2023 6:17 PM

"Wait, what is the difference between this and just regular slaughterhouses or people hunting deer?"

Seriously, what IS the difference? The animal is killed and its corpse is eaten, whether it's hunted in the woods, commercially slaughtered in a horrible slaughterhouse, or sacrificed for a religious feast. And of those three ways of slaughtering animals, the commercial slaughterhouse is probably the most horrific way for an animal to die, but it's where most of the people qho are squicked by animal sacrifices get their meat.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2023 8:56 PM

My step-father is a deer hunter but never smears blood on his face or eats hearts. That's just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2023 9:41 PM

There was an old English fox-hunting tradition, that when someone went on their first fox hunt some bloody bit of the poor fox was rubbed onto their face, it was a hazing ritual (called "blooding").

I'd be mildly surprised if American hunters did the same thing, considering that most American hunters would despise the rituals of the British upper classes, but well. American hunters do tend to be assholes, same as the Brits who ride to hounds.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2023 9:59 PM

Ultra Orthodox Jews in NYC slaughter thousands of chickens yearly for some ritual. A previous health commissioner tried to stop. She lost her job

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2023 10:10 PM

R11, it is repulsive isn't it? Why are we so quick to laugh at/make light of kids who believe in things like Santa, but we have to coddle these [bold]adults[/bold] who believe in ridiculous sky fairy tales?

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2023 10:25 PM

Is the Michigan government dong anything to stop this???

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2023 10:31 PM

[quote] She lost her job

Was she already on the chopping block?

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2023 10:31 PM

[quote]Is the Michigan government dong anything to stop this???

The Michigan government dong is occupied elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2023 10:35 PM

r15 Hunting deer is more socially accepted because it helps to cull the deer population which is, frankly, outrageous in MI.

Of course, the deer population is insane in North America due to the fact that wolves, their natural predators, were also hunted by farmers to protect livestock. So, due to the low numbers of natural predators, the deer population has become a hazard (the car-to-deer collision rate in MI is the highest in the country).

There is no practical reason for killing goats and chickens other than for food, and frankly you can watch that being done live at the Eastern Market.

by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2023 11:16 PM

^ Btw, the same practice is done in countries like Australia, but with kangaroos. The kangaroo population in Australia, in some areas, has become a nuisance. They have humane population control methods to hunt kangaroos and many of these hunters then sell the meat for distribution. Yes, kangaroos, like venison, are eaten in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2023 11:21 PM

Forgot link to video explaining this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2023 11:24 PM

Kangawoo.

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2023 11:29 PM

"There is no practical reason for killing goats and chickens other than for food,"

But the animals that are sacrificed for religious purposes ARE eaten.

So again, what the hell is the difference between a ritual sacrifice of a food animal, or eating the corpses of animals that were killed in slaughterhouses or hunted? I'll tell you what the difference is, it's distance, a psychological feeling of distance between yourself and the slaughter of animals. As long as it's done by nameless low-wage workers in the bad part of town it's okay, but if your neighbors do the same thing on an infinitely smaller scale, you're outraged.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2023 11:39 PM

[quote]So again, what the hell is the difference between a ritual sacrifice of a food animal, or eating the corpses of animals that were killed in slaughterhouses or hunted?

Because the whole fucking neighborhood is keeping these animals in their yards and slaughtering them in their yards, like some fucking third world shitbox country. That's just disgusting in what's supposed to be a civilized, first world country.

Maybe you don't mind living in a third world shitbox, but most Americans have a big problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2023 11:51 PM

R24 - I live in a Flyoverstan state and know a lot of people (throughout the entire state) that go deer-hunting (I used to before I got old, too) and I have never heard of this before, either. This must be a fairly localized thing.

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2023 11:52 PM

[quote]So again, what the hell is the difference between a ritual sacrifice of a food animal, or eating the corpses of animals that were killed in slaughterhouses or hunted?

Technically, r35, you're right. There is none. My dad was an avid deer hunter and would frequently take his "prizes" back to the house and keep the carcasses in the backyard wrapped in tarp until he was ready to gut and dismember it; also in the backyard. And this was all for sport, though he would make venison burgers.

Whenever you put "sacrifice" in front of something, it tends to add a more provocative tone to a practice that is, as you stated, definitely practiced regularly for other means. I personally despise it all and I am definitely THAT kind of vegan. I also despise the fur industry. But, frankly, I'm more annoyed that this religious group in particular finds it more acceptable to slaughter animals than just fly a damn flag that basically just represents the right and freedom to love another person. It's the religion that bothers me and I'm not ashamed to air my biases. They can go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2023 12:12 AM

r38 your dad didn't keep the deer in the yard and then slaughter them in the yard. Big difference.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2023 12:29 AM

Exactly R23. Unless you are a vegan you have no right to be outraged.

I am a vegan and I am outraged. I'm also not ingesting dairy from a cow who who is artificially inseminated and forced into multiple back to back pregnancies- before she is killed in her prime nor am I eating tortured animals.

Omnivores are the biggest fucking hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2023 12:31 AM

Humans are devolving.

Time for that mega asteroid.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2023 12:51 AM

R40 is Joaquin Phoenix

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2023 1:01 AM

r39 I had cousins who lived next door to a family who raised and slaughtered their own chickens.

Considering the price of eggs and poultry, now, this may become a more common practice. Perhaps you should get used to seeing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2023 1:25 AM

^ And yes, that family was Hispanic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2023 1:27 AM

r43 many people would've been driven crazy by the sounds of the chickens. Were the houses close together? Or are we talking about a multi-acre property?

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2023 1:28 AM

r45 It was about a driveway distance between the homes as in common in most urban areas. They had a roosters, as well, and yes...the damn thing would do exactly what you think it did every morning around 4-5am. At that point, I think the neighbors were willing to help with the slaughter.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2023 1:39 AM

^ *is; rooster

Oh, dearing myself, here.

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2023 1:40 AM

So trashy r46

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2023 1:41 AM

Oh please. Deer hunting is not centered on culling the populations . That can be done easily with birth control. Some like to claim it’s about eating the animals.

In actuality, it’s the “joy” of shooting animals that drives the sport.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2023 1:43 AM

r49 It's both, actually. It's state governments using the joy of sport hunting to their advantage to cheaply control the deer population. Your "birth control" suggestion is an extra expenditure that many would consider a waste of taxpayer dollars. I don't agree with hunting, but deer are prey animals and have risen to pest levels in MI and are causing ecological imbalance. Not to mention they've now become a reservoir for COVID. The most cost-effective way to cull their population sans wolves and other natural predators is sportsmen hunting.

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2023 1:48 AM

Muslims and Jews are weird when it comes to animal slaughter.

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2023 2:00 AM

As long as you eat the animal, I don’t have an objection. However, I would hope the animal would be either killed humanely or put out of its misery quickly.

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2023 2:02 AM

^^They're fucking weird period.

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2023 2:03 AM

r51 The Swedes cook animal blood and call it pudding. Meat eaters are all weird.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2023 2:04 AM

[wuote] Ultra Orthodox Jews in NYC slaughter thousands of chickens yearly for some ritual. A previous health commissioner tried to stop. She lost her job

The US government will always cater to religion first and foremost as they believe the country was founded on religious freedom, fuck everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2023 2:04 AM

[quote] Ultra Orthodox Jews in NYC slaughter thousands of chickens yearly for some ritual. A previous health commissioner tried to stop. She lost her job

The US government will always cater to religion first and foremost as they believe the country was founded on religious freedom, fuck everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2023 2:04 AM

[quote]However, I would hope the animal would be either killed humanely or put out of its misery quickly.

If it makes you feel any better, after spending most of my life driving the roads of MI, I'm convinced that most of the deer in this state are suicidal, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote]I had cousins who lived next door to a family who raised and slaughtered their own chickens.

I have a cousin whose family raises chickens for the eggs and slaughters their (small) flock every fall, because the hens don’t lay eggs in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2023 2:14 AM

Well Christians now should be allowed to raise lambs in their back yard and slaughter them for Easter. And not even eat them. What is important is the ceremony. The sacrifice to God. To Our Lord in His Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2023 2:25 AM

r58 It's fairly common, actually. And, as I stated, will likely become more common with the soaring costs of eggs and food in general. People are looking for more self-sufficient ways to feed their families. I, myself, am starting a little garden which...hasn't been really working out, but I'm getting better. I'm trying to grow tomatoes indoors. It may get to the point where "backyard agriculture" will become a necessity to supplement issues with supply chains and food shortages.

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2023 2:28 AM

r59 I know what you're trying to do, but even as an agnostic, I know that Christians believe that Jesus was the final "sacrificial lamb who fulfilled the law" which is why the practice is no longer demanded by the church. It's the Jews that are still doing the OT thing.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2023 2:31 AM

r61 like all Christian denominations follow the same rules.

by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2023 2:33 AM

Which Christian denomination sacrifices lambs on Easter, r62?

by Anonymousreply 63January 24, 2023 2:34 AM

That'll be the next Fundie bullshit thing r63

by Anonymousreply 64January 24, 2023 2:36 AM

And in societies where cat and dog is part of the diet shouldn't those communities in the US be allowed to eat them as well? One man's pet is another man's dinner. Think of all the strays this would eliminate. Just keep your pet on a leash. You don't want chunks of them ending up in a chinese or russian kitchen instapot.

by Anonymousreply 65January 24, 2023 3:36 AM

One good thing about Christianity is it stopped the senseless animal sacrifice shit.

by Anonymousreply 66January 24, 2023 3:58 AM

[quote]And in societies where cat and dog is part of the diet shouldn't those communities in the US be allowed to eat them as well?

Bless your heart for thinking they don't eat those critters in the US. They just keep it on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 67January 24, 2023 4:00 AM

[quote]And in societies where cat and dog is part of the diet shouldn't those communities in the US be allowed to eat them as well?

The countries where there are communities that eat cats and dogs are also against those communities and consider the people who engage in the practice barbaric. It's just that the countries don't have laws to stop them. In China, they have groups that protested the dogmeat festival, and there are other animal rights groups that want to make animal cruelty a federal crime. On a global level, the vast majority of developed nations are against slaughtering domesticated animals for human consumption. This is a moot point.

by Anonymousreply 68January 24, 2023 4:06 AM

We consider here in the US slaughtering animals for religious purposes barbaric. The point is not moot.

by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2023 10:25 AM

How about human sacrifice???

Inquiring Mayans want to know.

by Anonymousreply 70January 24, 2023 1:06 PM

[quote] We consider here in the US slaughtering animals for religious purposes barbaric.

Except for Hassidic Jews because we need their vote

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2023 1:07 PM

See more and more Muslims in the US turning their houses and yards into abattoirs.

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2023 1:40 PM

In the US mass shootings are our form of sacrifice at the altar of guns with school shootings, like virgins, especially precious.

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2023 2:24 PM

^ YES!!

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2023 2:57 PM

It’s not an animal sacrifice. I can’t believe how insular DL has become over the past few years.

There’s an influx of eating rams and the like following Eids; it’s no different than the increase of turkey consumption around Thanksgiving.

The main difference is the animals have to be slaughtered in a certain way for religious purposes. And, there’s a delicacy eaten from a newly slaughtered lamb/goat/ram that needs to be eaten within minutes; I’ve witnessed the process and this particular dish is enjoyed by many in the region, regardless of religion.

by Anonymousreply 75January 24, 2023 3:26 PM

In the US approx 22million turkeys are eaten at Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2023 3:43 PM

But do 22 million Americans keep the turkeys in their yards and slaughter them on a constant basis throughout the year?

by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2023 3:52 PM

r75, thanks for the clarification.

But in America, everything that relates to Christianity is good and proper. Anything related to any other religion is gross and inhumane.

by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2023 3:52 PM

Christians don't sacrifice animals in their yards r78

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2023 3:54 PM

R79 mmmm yes they do lol. None of you ever gone fishing? Or shooting? Fish / pheasants / chickens / lambs / cows / turkeys / pigs / deer / bears and let’s not get started on trophy hunting.

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2023 4:04 PM

Funny, I've never seen Christians sacrifice a cow in their yard.

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2023 4:10 PM

Funny I have

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2023 4:11 PM

It's funny you think they all will be doing this in their yards.

I wonder how many of them live in tiny apartments. The neighbors and the landlords are going to love this.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2023 4:16 PM

Sometimes the animals fight back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2023 4:20 PM

Big deal, we slaughter animals all the time.

by Anonymousreply 85January 24, 2023 5:32 PM

Yes in our homes and backyards! The stupidity in this thread as in R85 has reached such epic proportions you could film it in Cinerama.

by Anonymousreply 86January 24, 2023 5:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 24, 2023 5:43 PM

hopefully they choose the cutest baby goat... nothing worse than tough goat meat.

The best meat is in the puffy cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 88January 24, 2023 5:46 PM

Goat's they not just for yoga, anymore!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2023 5:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2023 5:50 PM

R86 but it’s not your home or your backyard so why would it interfere with you? People do have a right to privacy. The city has said permission requires inspection….nobody’s going to be slaughtering a cow in a studio apartment. You gals have zero sense of proportion lmao.

by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2023 5:53 PM

have some chicken, too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 24, 2023 5:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 24, 2023 5:54 PM

Doesn't that look tasty?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 24, 2023 5:56 PM

Why would it matter if it's in their back yard, R86? Non-religious people have animals and kill them on their property.

by Anonymousreply 95January 24, 2023 5:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2023 5:58 PM

protect the environment and help cull the goat population.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2023 6:02 PM

Stevie Nicks approves:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2023 6:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2023 6:06 PM

Want a burger? Maybe a steak? Some leather?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2023 6:10 PM

if goats bother you, how about a more renewable meat - you can even raise them in apartment:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2023 6:12 PM

[quote]but it’s not your home or your backyard so why would it interfere with you?

Because the whole fucking neighborhood would look like a third world SHITHOLE. Also, the public health issues. And the quality of life issues. There are certain standards that civilized, first world countries have, and this kind of shit is unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2023 6:13 PM

If you're planning on going commercial, tho, consider squab:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2023 6:14 PM

r102 You really need to elaborate on your opinion, dear, otherwise you sound ignorant. What exactly is your problem?

by Anonymousreply 104January 24, 2023 6:15 PM

There is a reason Detroit didn't seem out of wack during the alien attack scene in Scary Movie 3.

by Anonymousreply 105January 24, 2023 6:17 PM

r102 can't wait to see you go to native americans and tell them the same

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2023 6:17 PM

R104 it's been stated pretty clearly. Just because non-whites are practicing this kind of shit doesn't mean they get a free pass. There are code enforcements for livestock animals in place all over the US, esp. in densely populated neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2023 6:18 PM

r107 No, it hasn't. People routinely butcher chickens, rabbits, etc in cities and suburbia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2023 6:19 PM

r107 and even goats.

This is more the public display of it, though.

I could understand if you don't want to know where meat comes from or even the ritualistic nature of it, but this is the sort of thing that feeds a community. They're also obligated to donate meat and meals to the needy.

by Anonymousreply 109January 24, 2023 6:21 PM

r108 there are still code enforcements in place.

by Anonymousreply 110January 24, 2023 6:22 PM

r108 No shit, the city has ok'd it. So, get to your REAL offense

r107 Maybe your corporatist and only want corporations to control the food supply

by Anonymousreply 111January 24, 2023 6:23 PM

^ r108 - r110

by Anonymousreply 112January 24, 2023 6:24 PM

I think if you live in close quarters, like homes that have little room next to each other, maybe only a driveway and small strip of grass between each home, then having your neighbor slaughter animals regularly might not be that appealing - even if they fully have the right to do it on their property. I mean, it could be done quietly and cleanly, but I think any neighbor would be worried about it it gets gross and messy - entrails and bones laying around, which could smell and attract critters. That's speculative of course. I get the neighborly objection, but I also understand that people have property rights. I'm sure many cities have ordinances against this. My grandfather would skin and clean and carve animals he hunted - deer strung up in the garage, blood all over. He didn't kill them on the property, but it was all pretty gross.

by Anonymousreply 113January 24, 2023 6:24 PM

r110 islamophobic? racist? crazed vegan? Afraid the children will be traumatized? Why, oh, why won't anyone think of the children? Afraid of these third world shithole people spreading disease, mr trump r102

by Anonymousreply 114January 24, 2023 6:25 PM

Idk where you get the idea most people butcher and process their own deer and wildlife. They are taking it to local butchers or people who have a good setup. I don't doubt that others do it the old fashioned way, but most don't have access to space to clean their game as thoroughly as they should.

by Anonymousreply 115January 24, 2023 6:26 PM

r113 It's more likely to be in a public place, slaughter in a parking lot close to where they're cooking for religious holidays.

by Anonymousreply 116January 24, 2023 6:26 PM

So we'll build the next Temple there?

by Anonymousreply 117January 24, 2023 6:27 PM

Give it a rest r114. If a neighborhood full of rednecks had live goats on their property and were slaughtering them in their driveways it would be the same thing.

Typically you slaughter, gut and bleed deer in a field far from anyones home.

Home processing I have no issue with, it’s the actual slaughter of the animal in a densely packed neighborhood with neighbors’ homes within a blood squirting distance of your own.

by Anonymousreply 118January 24, 2023 6:27 PM

r115 Yes, some do. But many DIY.

I know many backyard farmers, even a few apartment based ones (laws more controlled there).,

You're uncomfortable with the idea, so you're desperately grasping.,..

by Anonymousreply 119January 24, 2023 6:28 PM

[quote]Afraid of these third world shithole people spreading disease,

That is actually a legitimate concern, you virtue-signaling twat

by Anonymousreply 120January 24, 2023 6:28 PM

r118 I'm against snotty nosed, handsy, children in public places. I believe they should be banned.

by Anonymousreply 121January 24, 2023 6:29 PM

r120 I know it is, but I suspect you're really just a bigot that's trying to be as PC as you can be while not knowing shit about what ritualistic slaughter is.

by Anonymousreply 122January 24, 2023 6:29 PM

[quote]You're uncomfortable with the idea, so you're desperately grasping.,..

[quote]but I suspect you're really just a bigot that's trying to be as PC as you can be while not knowing shit about what ritualistic slaughter is.

It's a quality of life/public health issue. Again, if a neighborhood full of white trash rednecks had live goats/deer and were slaughtering them in their yards, it would be the same thing. Just because these are non-Christian brown people doesn't mean they should be excused from the standards of a civilized society.

And BTW, Muslims are no friends to the gay community, just as Fundamentalist Christians aren't . See the Pride flag controversy that is happening in Hamtramck right now. But that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 123January 24, 2023 6:32 PM

r120 If everything follows the law, then there's no problem. So, what is your complaint?

Are you going to run for office? Speak to your representatives? Write a letter? Form a mob? Go after the infidel invaders and their exotic ways for disrupting Amurica

by Anonymousreply 124January 24, 2023 6:32 PM

Harvesting animals doesn’t have a place in the most densely packed neighborhood in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 125January 24, 2023 6:33 PM

r123 Individual results may vary.

So, you're just a bigot with no real argument and against the system of laws in this nation as well as the govt. You don't agree with their decision because you know better and are desperately grabbing onto anything - "the community doesn't like the gays, agree with me faggot!"

by Anonymousreply 126January 24, 2023 6:34 PM

r126 that's not what I said at all. You are unhinged. It's a quality of life/public health issue. It's also an eyesore and noise pollution in a country that has certain standards. Again, if whites were doing this I'd also be against it. And of course some whites do it anyway and it's just as disgusting as when non-whites do it.

by Anonymousreply 127January 24, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote] "the community doesn't like the gays, agree with me faggot!"

Okay, you are officially disgusting. Goodnight, Irene.

by Anonymousreply 128January 24, 2023 6:37 PM

r128 I'm disgusting for pointing out the attempt at manipulation to get people to side with you, even though it has no real barring on this issue.

[quote] And BTW, Muslims are no friends to the gay community, just as Fundamentalist Christians aren't . See the Pride flag controversy that is happening in Hamtramck right now. But that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 129January 24, 2023 6:39 PM

btw, I'm the troll that routinely posts drawings of Muhammad & Aisha.

by Anonymousreply 130January 24, 2023 6:43 PM

[quote] Because the whole fucking neighborhood would look like a third world SHITHOLE.

Can you see into peoples apartments and backyards?

Again this requires inspection by the local authority - it’s not going to be happening all over the place. I said it before, but you ppl have no sense of proportion. It’s always OUTRAGE!!1!!

by Anonymousreply 131January 24, 2023 6:45 PM

^ Not that that troll bit matters but I like how you're trying to dismiss me as ignorant because you don't have a position to stand on. You claim to have an issue with the other groups but you're really keyed in on trying to switch people's positions based on their fears or hatred of muslims. That's what you lead with...

so, it's pretty much the equivalent of "I'm not a bigot but...."

and that informs that you're real problem with the issue is that they're muslim not the slaughter of animals or the locations it may be happening, nor even the context in which it may be happening.

by Anonymousreply 132January 24, 2023 6:47 PM

^ you're = your

by Anonymousreply 133January 24, 2023 6:48 PM

Or I suppose you're just an emotional manipulator... either way, it's not pretty.

So, what are your reasons?

Should we compare with other cities?

Also, I might recommend you checkout some of the backyard farming sites as they're great resources for the public laws in residential areas and maybe give you insight as to how it may be done. There's even a few urban imams and islamic organizations that may take your questions and address your concerns.

your keyword is "halal"

by Anonymousreply 134January 24, 2023 6:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 24, 2023 6:52 PM

just for kicks, you can compare to:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136January 24, 2023 6:53 PM

R16 What about butchers or people who work in slaughterhouses?

by Anonymousreply 137January 24, 2023 6:54 PM

[quote]Also, I might recommend you checkout some of the backyard farming sites as they're great resources for the public laws in residential areas and maybe give you insight as to how it may be done.

Yeah, in Hamtramck. Are you American? Hamtramck might be the most unclean city I’ve been to in the states, and there’s already a gigantic trash and rat problem. This ordinance is going to compound the problem.

by Anonymousreply 138January 24, 2023 7:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 24, 2023 7:02 PM

[quote]Not that that troll bit matters but I like how you're trying to dismiss me as ignorant because you don't have a position to stand on.

Positions have been clearly defined. Several times.

You claim to have an issue with the other groups but you're really keyed in on trying to switch people's positions based on their fears or hatred of muslims.

The subject is ritual slaughter. That's what this thread is about. It's already been stated that other groups should not be allowed to do this either. But go ahead and use the word "faggot" again.

Your "argument" just keeps going around and around and does not address public health or quality of life issues, which are the primary concern. But you'll just ignore that and go on another virtue-signaling tirade again, you mental midget.

by Anonymousreply 140January 24, 2023 7:02 PM

Not that that troll bit matters but I like how you're trying to dismiss me as ignorant because you don't have a position to stand on. Positions have been clearly defined. Several times.

[quote]You claim to have an issue with the other groups but you're really keyed in on trying to switch people's positions based on their fears or hatred of muslims.

The subject is ritual slaughter. That's what this thread is about. It's already been stated that other groups should not be allowed to do this either. But go ahead and use the word "faggot" again.

Your "argument" just keeps going around and around and does not address public health or quality of life issues, which are the primary concern. But you'll just ignore that and go on another virtue-signaling tirade again, you mental midget.

by Anonymousreply 141January 24, 2023 7:03 PM

r138 So, as a concerned, definitely not a bigot, citizen, you're going to volunteer your services and organize a volunteer team to help clean up the problems you see? Well, since you're so concerned about that.

by Anonymousreply 142January 24, 2023 7:03 PM

r142 you're deflecting, yet again. "But what are YOU going to do about the trash?" That's a classic obfuscation used by mental defectives such as yourself to try and make the argument go sideways. A public health issue is a public health issue, affecting the health, safety and quality of life of people is something everybody should be concerned about.

by Anonymousreply 143January 24, 2023 7:06 PM

I don't give two shits what religion anyone is but I ain't living next to people that are doing animal sacrifices right in their home. Also fuck pro-Christian legislation.

by Anonymousreply 144January 24, 2023 7:07 PM

r141 You have comprehension problems, don't you. You're trying to manipulate me (a faggot) into your side because some, if not most, muslims don't like gays. You feel that should be enough for me to pick up a tiki torch and join your cause.

Because I don't agree with you, you believe I'm virtue signaling, probably even "woke" or useful idiot to islamic agenda, right? You keep bringing up muslims because it's definitely about anyone, any group. You finally say it's about ritual slaughter after distracting on all these other issues you're not really concerned about. Videos have been posted of what ritualistic slaughter is but like r144 "sacrifices" is the word that jumps out at you.. btw, it's just butchering, preparing the animal for consumption, because it will be eaten.

by Anonymousreply 145January 24, 2023 7:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146January 24, 2023 7:10 PM

Keep going around in circles r145. God, you're tiresome. Again, it's a quality of life/public health issue. Things you have failed to respond to. You just want to virtue signal. But anyway, this conversation has become so tedious.

by Anonymousreply 147January 24, 2023 7:12 PM

r147 If the city has approved it, then what is the problem? Do you not trust the government?

What reasons might we be skeptical of the city's decision or their ability to properly manage the situation with respect to health and the environment?

by Anonymousreply 148January 24, 2023 7:16 PM

r147 Would you like a comparison to other cities that allow kosher and halal slaughtering?

by Anonymousreply 149January 24, 2023 7:17 PM

r147 Also, how do you believe I'm virtue signaling? What do you believe I'm signaling?

by Anonymousreply 150January 24, 2023 7:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 24, 2023 7:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152January 24, 2023 7:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153January 24, 2023 7:21 PM

Should we review the conservative and anti-islam responses to this?

How profoundly misrepresented this is on those sites?

[quote] This is an intentional destruction of American culture, values and exceptionalism, that we are witnessing before our eyes. These illegal political dissidents will be utilized as future anarchists!

by Anonymousreply 154January 24, 2023 7:26 PM

seriously, gotta love the conservatives...

in the gatepundit, another one argues that this is the result of Jewish bankers that are bankrolling drag queens..... to destroy the whites

by Anonymousreply 155January 24, 2023 7:31 PM

I 𝑑𝑎𝑟𝑒 the vegans to sue the Muslim neighbor who already has his knife out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 24, 2023 8:31 PM

R147…you’re worried about the quality of life and public health of the citizens of Hamtramck?

What waste are you expecting that’s going to bring in hordes of rats? They use everything…blood is collected, meat eaten…the same exact amount of garbage that you’d get from anyone doing a barbecue.

The difference is the people slaughtering the animals have experience in doing so (remember, the meat has to remain halal or they can’t eat it; no one’s letting little Nafeez handle this task).

Do you think that because they’re Muslim, they’re filthy animals that chuck their trash into the street? What exactly is the real issue with this ordinance? The town in question is the ONLY Muslim-majority city in the USA. They are used to this practice; chances are, the neighbors are also Muslim, so who’s complaining?

The respect associated with the ritual of animal slaughter in Islam is very similar to that of Judaism…take up your Crusade tunic and perform this shitshow properly: you don’t like the people. Be proud and admit it.

All this back and forth and manipulation is so undignified.

by Anonymousreply 157January 24, 2023 8:33 PM

As has been said r157 this is a problem no matter who does it.

by Anonymousreply 158January 24, 2023 9:52 PM

And, you haven’t mentioned the issue with this ordinance, R157. This isn’t like processing a kill: the process of slaughtering animals using halal/kosher practices is extremely stringent and hygiene goes hand-in-hand with the ritual.

Don’t speak in generalities when the ordinance is specific…what about halal slaughter is problematic?

by Anonymousreply 159January 24, 2023 11:05 PM

When it's not in a centralized location and all over the neighborhood. Mass slaughtering of animals in a residential neighborhood, especially one that's tightly packed, creates a public health issue. Any medical professional/epidemiologist will tell you this.

by Anonymousreply 160January 24, 2023 11:09 PM

R160 it’s permit and inspection based. It’s not going to be mass slaughtering - make you feel better?

by Anonymousreply 161January 24, 2023 11:27 PM

Get back to us about those permits and inspections lol!

by Anonymousreply 162January 24, 2023 11:28 PM

Any kind of ritual slaughter for religious purposes is very sick and disturbed(we could go into hunting as sport but let's stick to one topic). Of course the people here defending it would be hot as fire if Christian fundamentalists were doing it. And I don't care if they are going to eat it. Take off the wraps and it is simply having your own personal slaughterhouse. But it's fine with people like R159 because it is not far white extremists doing the ritualistic slaughter. A very very fucked up individual. Oh but it's cleeean! According to biblical Abrahamic principals ordained by Mohammed! So that makes it alright.

You are quite the whack job.

by Anonymousreply 163January 25, 2023 12:42 AM

It's such a gross practice. People - of all religions - need to put down their magic book of fairy tales and join the 21st Century.

by Anonymousreply 164January 25, 2023 12:57 AM

[quote] Any kind of ritual slaughter for religious purposes is very sick and disturbed

Have you ever had turkey at Christmas R163? Christians do that in many parts of the world. Is that sick and disturbed? It’s just making meat for a feast associated with a religious day. It’s not unique to Islam at all. Every religion does it.

On the personal slaughterhouse part….I wouldn’t personally prefer it but I have read accounts by people before (varies by culture) that killing and preparing your own meat is a more respectful process to the animal. I’m sure if people had to be involved in the process of preparing meat for themselves (and it wasn’t hidden behind a curtain (wonder why they do that eh?)) there’d be a lot less meat consumed, it would be done more ethically, and there would be far less waste of animal products. But I get your “EWWWWWWW” instinct lol.

by Anonymousreply 165January 25, 2023 1:03 AM

I've never had turkey at Christmas. God forbid for an Italian Catholic. Lasagna and bragiol. But my grandmother didn't slaughter the cow in her kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 166January 25, 2023 1:48 AM

All of the Italian-Americans I know aren't religious Catholics and are thoroughly Americanized. They do the trendy Paleo etc. shit that all the other white Americans do.

by Anonymousreply 167January 25, 2023 2:46 AM

[quote]The town in question is the ONLY Muslim-majority city in the USA.

No, r157. Dearborn is also a Muslim-majority city. The largest mosque in the US is also located there, right off Ford Rd. Hamtramck just recently earned the title of having the highest number of Muslims (even higher than Dearborn), but it's not the only Muslim-majority city in the US or MI.

by Anonymousreply 168January 25, 2023 3:49 AM

So, your issue is that the ordinance was created to accommodate Muslims (in a town predominantly populated by Muslims), R163?

I never mentioned far-right wing White people…you did. Your issue, as the sniveling bigot that you are, is that people aren’t pushing to raze the town to the ground on the premise of “public health” when your issue all along (as several posters stated) was the religion involved.

If you had bothered to research halal/kosher slaughter, you’d know that not just anyone can perform it but, you know…Muslims.

You complained about trash and a town overrun by vermin, even though a huge part of ritual slaughter is cleanliness but…Muslims.

It’s been explained multiple times that Islam, Judaism and Christianity all have history of ritual slaughter and only the first two continue to follow those tenets today but…Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 169January 25, 2023 7:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!