Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What does it mean that governments hav given up on trying to control the spread of Covid 19

I think it makes The state wherever that exists look weak and outdated. Even China is letting it rip now.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 2:30 PM

Okay, this HAS to be a propaganda troll post. I can't believe a genuine DL regular would post something this tone deaf.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2023 2:20 PM

[quote]I think it makes The state wherever that exists look weak and outdated.

Things a bot would say!

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2023 3:22 PM

Oh, right, b/c the cro-magnons did such a good job eliminating the common cold.

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2023 4:17 PM

The rich aren't giving up:

In photos of 2023’s World Economic Forum- or Davos as it is commonly called, after the Swiss resort town where it annually occurs- you might not notice the HEPA filters. They’re in the background, unobtrusive and unremarked upon, quietly cleansing the air of viruses and bacteria. You wouldn’t know- not unless you asked- that every attendee was PCR tested before entering the forum, or that in the case of a positive test, access was automatically, electronically, revoked. The folks on stage aren’t sporting masks (mostly), so unless you looked at the official Davos Health & Safety protocol, you wouldn’t be aware that their on-site drivers are required to wear them.

It’s hard to square this information with the public narrative about COVID, isn’t it? President Biden has called the pandemic “over”. The New York Times recently claimed that “the risk of Covid is similar to that of the flu” in an article about “hold outs” that are annoyingly refusing to accept continual reinfection as their “new normal”. Yet, this week the richest people in the world are taking common sense, easy- but strict- precautions to ensure they don’t catch Covid-19 at Davos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2023 10:07 PM

I am vaccinated, boosted and I wear masks in public spaces and avoid crowds.

Take care of you.

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2023 10:19 PM

R4 that was protection for the very rich, very powerful, and very VIP.

I live and Switzerland and it is a complete "let it rip" policy for the population now. The government has even stopped paying for covid tests and they aren't collecting and reporting accurate figures.

I am a professor and my campus has been a cess pool of disease since October. The FEDS could have put back the masks in classroom mandates but declined to do so. They could have put it back for public transport but declined.

Its not a big deal for 20 year olds - they are strong. I'm vaxed to max.

I don't think governments are weak and outdated I think they are practical and predictable and have chosen business as usual and who cares if some people die its not worth the cost and hassle anymore.

Comparing the experience of VIPS at DAVOS to anyone else in the world doesn't make a lot of sense. They live in a different reality.

Switzerland is a capitalist paradise and its really all about MONEY.

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2023 10:21 PM

I live IN Switzerland

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2023 10:22 PM

[quote]that was protection for the very rich, very powerful, and very VIP.

Yes, that's the point. Governments around the world have given up trying to protect their people, but those who are better informed and have the money to protect themselves are still doing so.

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2023 10:25 PM

Switzerland had the cash to update ventilation and air purification, it's true. But its spotty. They did shit on my campus and its public. Very free private universities in Switzerland.

But we are in a tight spot right now because Switzerland is not in the EU and is a lone trader dealing with the energy crisis, as in the winter more energy is produced by Russian gas. In the summer there is hydro.

They have already outlined some policies that will be enforced if we will face severe shortages in February. It only got cold this week. A. lucky break.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2023 10:35 PM

sorry cant see my screen well

Very FEW private universities..

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2023 10:36 PM

The rich want us to die off. With automation they have no use for us anymore, and global warming will make resources increasingly scarce. This is planned and intentional.

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2023 3:08 AM

R11 right and an aging population isn't helping either.

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2023 3:11 AM

They haven't "given up". For the first year, COVID restrictions in the U.S. were meant to prevent our medical systems from becoming overwhelmed. Many got near a breaking point for several reasons

Lots of doctors are older, rich, and work in semi-retirement for years (like 1-3 days per week with reduced hours)...this category removed themselves from the profession and were forced into full retirement.

New students werent graduating because schooling was interrupted for 6-12 months.

Anyone already at their limit in terms of work stress was pushed out of the medical profession--as were the portion of workers who had illnesses themselves and didnt want to risk getting sick.

Tons of nurses and doctors died early on. They were around the worst cases, the most infectious people, we didn't know how to protect them in the first 2-3 months and once we did, we needed to get protections in place for them so more didn't die.

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2023 11:03 PM

“Several corona infections in one person can have serious consequences for the immune system," according to Germany's Federal Health Minister, Karl Lauterbach. "It's worrying what we're seeing in people who have had multiple corona infections.”

“Studies now show very clearly that those affected often have to deal with an incurable immune deficiency," said Lauterbach. "This can be a risk factor for the development of chronic diseases, ranging from cardiovascular problems to dementia."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 2:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!