Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Should all men get work done on their faces as they age if they can afford it?

I'm curious to see what Dataloungers think. Many of us live in cities like LA or the greater Miami area or Palm Springs where it's very customary for men to have work done on their faces as they age, but most Americans and Brits do not think it is worth the cost. In fact, Dataloungers often complain that famous men who are not Hollywood actors (such as members of the British royal family) should get work done on their faces, even if it considered tacky to do so in their culture (among British royalty and aristocrats, for example, it is mostly considered exceptionally not the thing).

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2023 8:46 AM

The problem is what it looks like. Both sexes can easily cross that line from having adjustments to looking like a cat or alien.

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2023 2:47 AM

The “everyone who gets work done looks stupid anyway” is a really stupid thing to say. If we’re defining “work” as basically the universe of all invasive and non-invasive medically-oriented cosmetic procedures, then the vast majority of laypersons have no idea. (Unless of course we are talking about the minority of extremes who not surprisingly also have psychiatric/ psychological issues most often).

Getting “work done” is way more common than you think. Though discussion of it with friends and the public is much more normalized now than even 10-15 years ago, it’s still something most men (in my opinion / experience) rarely admit to (other than probably Botox or fillers). Especially straight men.

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2023 2:55 AM

[quote] The “everyone who gets work done looks stupid anyway” is a really stupid thing to say.

And yet, at this writing, 50% of voters voted for it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2023 3:15 AM

If they can afford it without undue hardship, if they are mentally healthy and without psychological distress, if there hasn't been any recent crisis in their lives, if their chosen surgeon has a strong reputation, and if what they want fixed is realistic and well within the capacity and skills of their surgeon, then ... maybe.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2023 3:21 AM

R2 I don't think everyone looks weird but I do think a lot of people cross that line when they start doing too much. Botox is whatever, but fillers... Idk... That's sketchy. You need a talented person to do the work and know when to stop.

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2023 3:24 AM

Try and find a surgeon that works on a lot of male faces. Faces that have thick hair bearing skin can be difficult to work with and some work can give a man the over pulled shiny wax fruit look.

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2023 3:37 AM

[quote] Many of us live in cities like LA or the greater Miami area or Palm Springs

A few. Not many. A few.

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2023 3:41 AM

No, because it looks ridiculous no mayter what anyone tells you, ESPECIALLY on men. Men don't need it.

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2023 5:55 AM

I've seen plenty of hideous old men who need it R8. It just doesn't necessarily work...

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2023 7:30 AM

Given the naysayers: here is an example of good work on a male that probably wouldn’t be very if at all apparent to an untrained eye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2023 7:41 AM

R10 Totally. Excess skin around the chin is one thing I would definitely have fixed when I grow older.

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2023 8:26 AM

Good exemple, r10, though a beard covers a multitude of sins and is cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2023 8:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!