Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ben Mankiewicz Appreciation Thread

I’ve been a fan of his for many years and have developed quite a celeb crush on him. He’s outspoken, intelligent, funny and tender hearted as evidenced in the link. I follow him on Twitter and think he’s an asset to TCM with his vast knowledge of classic films and Hollywood. Having grown up within the industry gave him a pedigree to expand upon. He’s awesome. Love his tweets!! He’s bold and not afraid to give his opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 31, 2023 4:59 AM

Ben!! Let’s be buds!

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2022 6:00 PM

And he has definite BDE. You just know he throws a great fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2022 6:05 PM

You mean "Nepo Baby" Ben Mankiewicz.

by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2022 6:10 PM

What are so-called nepo babies supposed to do when they grow up, become plumbers?

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2022 6:14 PM

Atrocious looking

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2022 6:15 PM

R4 God forbid!

by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2022 7:26 PM

R4 Guillotine testers

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2022 7:29 PM

I appreciate him and all the regular TCM hosts. The “Nepo Baby” label is not fair. He’s very good as the lead host of the best cable station ever.

by Anonymousreply 8December 31, 2022 7:30 PM

[quote] The “Nepo Baby” label is not fair.

Why not?

Mankiewicz was born in Washington, D.C., to press secretary Frank Mankiewicz and Holly Mankiewicz. He is the cousin of screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz and filmmaker/television producer Nick Davis, the grandson of screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz, the grand-nephew of screenwriter, producer, and director Joseph L. Mankiewicz, and the brother of NBC News reporter Josh Mankiewicz.

He attended Georgetown Day School for his primary and secondary education, Tufts University for undergraduate studies, and Columbia University for graduate studies.

As of 2022, Niche ranks Georgetown Day School as the best private high and K-12 school in the District of Columbia. Additionally, Niche ranks Georgetown Day as the ninth-best K-12 private school and the twenty-seventh best private high school nationally.

by Anonymousreply 9December 31, 2022 7:41 PM

To be fair, his immediate family weren't in show biz -only extended family. And so what if he came from a monied background? He went to great schools, but he graduated and did graduate studies. In other words, he is actually qualified to write and share a few opinions based on his education. I'm sure the family name didn't hurt, but it was far from the kind of name (and connection) that would fling open doors for him.

He got their by working and being good, not by nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 10December 31, 2022 7:46 PM

WHAT THE FUCK that has to do with his own accomplishments and the work he did to get to where he is now. From Wikipedia:

Career Mankiewicz began his career as a reporter and an anchor for WCSC-TV (a CBS affiliate) in Charleston, South Carolina. He joined WAMI in Miami, Florida, in 1998, where he served as anchor of The Times, a daily news magazine show and the station's highlight program.

Since 2003, Mankiewicz has been a host of Turner Classic Movies. When he made his debut on TCM, he became the second host hired in the network's history (Robert Osborne being the first). As a film critic, Mankiewicz co-hosted the nationally syndicated television series At the Movies from 2008 to 2009 and co-hosted the online film review show What the Flick?! on The Young Turks Network. He launched TCM original podcast (April 2020), "The Plot Thickens" in which he interviews renowned director Peter Bogdanovich (The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon, etc.) who chronicles his life in and out of film. The podcast is scheduled to have others connected to film interviewed in subsequent podcasts.

This new “Nepo Baby” label is juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 11December 31, 2022 7:50 PM

He doesn't want your condolences.

by Anonymousreply 12December 31, 2022 7:53 PM

Yes, I've always liked him too. He seems to know a lot about movies and I think he's very intelligent too. TCM, should consider him a great asset.

by Anonymousreply 13December 31, 2022 7:57 PM

I'm sure he has a great ass -et.

by Anonymousreply 14December 31, 2022 7:57 PM

He's great in his role on TCM! When he's hosting a film screening on air, we look forward to Mankiewicz's film intros and closing comments that give insights and sometimes gossip.

We saw him live like 18 years or so ago when he did the mc role for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra at their summer outdoor amphitheater location when they showed Casablanca on a screen while the orchestra played and gave us a live rendition of the brilliant Max Steiner film score.

by Anonymousreply 15December 31, 2022 8:00 PM

I used to think that nobody could replace Robert Osbourne and I still think he was wonderful. Ben, though is wonderful too.

by Anonymousreply 16December 31, 2022 8:19 PM

Mankiewicz is one of the wonderful assets that make TCM our GO TO channel!

Doesn't hurt that I'm a film buff of sorts and that by watching & listening, my partner is learning many of the finer points of film appreciation as well.

by Anonymousreply 17December 31, 2022 8:22 PM

I'm a fan.

by Anonymousreply 18December 31, 2022 8:22 PM

He loses points for using the expression reaching out.

by Anonymousreply 19December 31, 2022 8:22 PM

I found Osborne an overrated bore and could only stomach him when he interviewed the old stars on Private Screenings. One of the best ones was Esther Williams who was fascinating where Osborne barely said a word.

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2022 8:27 PM

Op here. I wanna have sex with Ben! Think I’ll fap while looking at some online pics of him. Lol

He’s witty on Twitter and I love his podcasts etc. he’s my kind of guy. His brother Josh, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2022 10:36 PM

I like Ben, he's on the majority report from time to time. Seems like a nice and easygoing guy. Smart but not pretentious or arrogant.

by Anonymousreply 22December 31, 2022 11:33 PM

R22 in other words HOT AF.

by Anonymousreply 23December 31, 2022 11:35 PM

R23 what do you think of sam seder? hot or not?

by Anonymousreply 24December 31, 2022 11:42 PM

The Mankiewicz family is an American family of German-Jewish descent, with members including:

Herman J. Mankiewicz (1897–1953), Hollywood screenwriter (1 Oscar) (brother of Joseph) Don Mankiewicz (1922–2015), screenwriter (son of Herman) John Mankiewicz (born 1954), screenwriter and producer (son of Don) Jane Mankiewicz, fiction writer published in The New Yorker (daughter of Don) Frank Mankiewicz (1924–2014), journalist, publicist, politician (son of Herman) Josh Mankiewicz (born 1955), television journalist (son of Frank, brother of Ben) Ben Mankiewicz (born 1967), co-host of The Young Turks, currently the primary host on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) (son of Frank, brother of Josh) Johanna Mankiewicz Davis (1937–1974), novelist (daughter of Herman) Nick Davis (born 1965), screenwriter, director and producer (son of Johanna) Tim Davis (born 1963), television writer (son of Johanna) Joseph L. Mankiewicz (1909–1993), Hollywood screenwriter (2 Oscars), director (2 Oscars) and producer (brother of Herman) Christopher Mankiewicz (born 1940), actor and producer (son of Joseph) Tom Mankiewicz (1942–2010), screenwriter, director and producer (son of Joseph) Alex Mankiewicz (born 1966), illustrator and artist (daughter of Joseph) Francis Mankiewicz (1944–1993), Canadian filmmaker, second cousin once removed to Herman J. Mankiewicz and Joseph L. Mankiewicz

by Anonymousreply 25December 31, 2022 11:52 PM

Does he still appear on The Young Turks?

by Anonymousreply 26January 1, 2023 12:14 AM

The perfect host. And sexy AF.

by Anonymousreply 27January 1, 2023 12:21 AM

[quote]Career Mankiewicz began his career as a reporter and an anchor for WCSC-TV (a CBS affiliate) in Charleston, South Carolina.

I wonder if he has any dirt on the Senatrice.

by Anonymousreply 28January 1, 2023 12:40 AM

If they ever show "Mank" on TCM, will they let him introduce it?

by Anonymousreply 29January 1, 2023 12:41 AM

He would make a good Jeopardy! host.

by Anonymousreply 30January 1, 2023 12:51 AM

He makes Anderson Cooper seem like Robin Williams. Where do they dig-up these turds?

by Anonymousreply 31January 1, 2023 2:40 AM

Ben talks about his audition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 1, 2023 2:46 AM

TCM commercial 10 years ago when he was just the Weekend Host

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 1, 2023 2:50 AM

At first, when he appeared on TCM, he always seemed like he was trying to be this savvy, but very straight guy, since he always seemed to be carrying a baseball. What was the point of that?

But, in years since, he has relaxed more, and become very good at what he does. I would agree that he handles the job with his own, unpretentious, laidback style.

by Anonymousreply 34January 1, 2023 5:57 PM

I follow him on Twitter. He seems like a cool guy and he's gay friendly

by Anonymousreply 35January 1, 2023 6:12 PM

How is he 'gay friendly'?

by Anonymousreply 36January 1, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote] He’s outspoken

Does he ’speak out' about the US Entertainment Industry'?

by Anonymousreply 37January 1, 2023 7:36 PM

Mario Cantone seems to crush on Ben when he guest-hosts movies like Baby Jane.

by Anonymousreply 38January 1, 2023 7:38 PM

He needed the baseball bat to fend off Osbore.

by Anonymousreply 39January 1, 2023 8:17 PM

I used to think that he came off always as sounding/delivering his lines like a used-car salesman, but lately I'm liking him better and think that he's more matured into his role and how he carries both himself and his duties introducing and closing out films he shows. I also like his manspread and big feets with nice shoes when he's sitting one-on-one facing someone co-hosting with or being interviewed by him.

by Anonymousreply 40January 1, 2023 10:03 PM

Does Ben tell you stuff you didn't know … like about how Gable and Cooper were homophobic back in The Golden Days ninety years ago?

by Anonymousreply 41January 1, 2023 10:18 PM

He’s real and makes me real horny.

by Anonymousreply 42January 1, 2023 10:25 PM

R42 You sexual desire must not be denied — after all this year is the year of International Sex Pride!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 1, 2023 10:35 PM

R43 Awe shucks….

by Anonymousreply 44January 1, 2023 10:55 PM

He definitely looks like a hot fuck.

by Anonymousreply 45January 2, 2023 10:32 PM

I wanna worship his cock and feet

by Anonymousreply 46January 2, 2023 10:36 PM

He apologizes to Audie Murphy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 2, 2023 10:44 PM

He can sometimes look very sexy onscreen but I bet he's shorter than he appears and smells of ciggies.

by Anonymousreply 48January 2, 2023 10:54 PM

Unlike Osborne, he makes a lot of factual errors.

by Anonymousreply 49January 3, 2023 12:04 AM

[quote] A lot of factual errors.

As many as this thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 3, 2023 12:07 AM

What year was that apology video? He looked his best.

by Anonymousreply 51January 3, 2023 12:15 AM

He's an arrogant prick.

by Anonymousreply 52January 3, 2023 1:08 AM

[quote] How is he 'gay friendly'?

WELL, HE'S NOT MADE OF PULVERIZED AND RE-CONSTITUTED GAYS, IS HE!?

by Anonymousreply 53January 3, 2023 1:12 AM

I think he's nerd hot.

by Anonymousreply 54January 3, 2023 1:25 AM

He's cute with no glasses and the facial hair. I've liked him and I think he does a good job.

by Anonymousreply 55January 3, 2023 1:28 AM

DL has hated Ben for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2023 12:00 AM

He’s sweet meat

by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2023 12:06 AM

[quote]DL has hated Ben for years.

Seems the tide has turned.

by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2023 12:18 AM

Ben is a dud. He knows nothing about movies and just seems to have read up on them right before his presentation. Like somebody in high school who knows nothing about a subject and has to give a report the next day and memorizes a few things the night before. He doesn't even seem to like movies very much. It's just a good gig. And he says things any movie maven has heard a thousand times before and as somebody said he still gets things wrong. And he wins best in show in the mutt category.

Osborne loved movies, was passionate about them and had a very friendly easy going way which was a pleasure. Ben has yet to get that stick out of his ass. And before he aged Osborne was really good looking. Which is why he played the idealized handsome husband in TV commercials.

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2023 1:20 AM

Osborne was a know-it-all gay. Ben is trying to make the case that a straight guy can be a movie buff.

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2023 4:34 AM

Ben is trying to make the case that a straight guy can be a movie buff.

Throughout my life(a long time) I have known many straight men who love movies. What case needs to be made? I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

by Anonymousreply 61May 31, 2023 4:55 AM

And Osborne did know a helluva lot more than most people and Ben knows very little if he did not read up the night before. Avery very superficial 'expert.'

by Anonymousreply 62May 31, 2023 4:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!