Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HAGS Part two: The reopening

As HAGS draws closer to its triumphant return, we need a second thread to follow the saga.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2024 2:06 AM

I hope we get a report back from the many folx sure to be celebrating their best queer selves at HAGS this New Years Eve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2022 3:30 PM

They "cannot wait to feed y'all."

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2022 5:25 PM

On the last thread someone asked who in the TQ community they pissed off, I would guess it was a few other t chefs who actually do seem to care and were cooking for the community for real long before Telly and his bride.

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2022 8:08 PM

R3 Makes sense.

I wonder how their first night back went?

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2022 2:56 PM

Oh did it happen already? I await the secret DL diner with bated breath. Maybe our undercover eater was even saved by the fentanyl test strips!

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2022 10:20 PM

Well? Where is the intrepid DLer who had the HAGS reservation for New Year's Eve?

We're on the edge of our seats waiting for his/her/xer/zir/their review!

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote]We're on the edge of our seats waiting for his/her/xer/zir/their review!

* drums fingers *

by Anonymousreply 7January 8, 2023 3:22 AM

Clearly, on the day our DL attended, the chicken communicated with Chef Telly. Telly, intuitive as always, understood that today the chicken didn't want to be cooked all the way through. Feeling his way through the process with emotion, Telly ran the chicken parts under a broiler for 6.9 minutes (in honor of 1969, the year when Sylvia P. Rivera led the Stonewall Uprising). The chicken emerged pleasantly charred on the outside, raw on the inside. After being seasoned with hand-torn sage leaves and grated fair-trade milk chocolate, it was served with its own edible pronoun label made of a carved radish painted with squid ink. The chicken's pronouns were he/him.

The side was a specialty of the house, sustainably harvested raw oysters.

The chefs at HAGS -- they prefer to be called Food Communication Facilitators -- question everything in our patriarchial, heterosexist society. Why must raw oysters be served on ice? "On ice" is a slang expression for "in jail," and serving mollusks on ice just valorizes the racist prison-industrial complex. Raw oysters at HAGS are kept at a comfortable room temperature, not otherized by being placed in a cold, dark refrigerator.

After such a savory, soul-quickening meal, I'm sure our intrepid DL diner is taking a few weeks off to absorb the experience before reporting back to us.

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2023 12:27 PM

I am too old to accept food prepared and served by people who are extensively tattooed and pierced.

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2023 1:05 PM

I guess you’re eating at home.

Unless you don’t mind tatted up staff back in the kitchen, cooking your food.

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2023 4:56 PM

Yes, you're correct. I no longer have the patience to dine out. No takeout either

by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2023 4:57 PM

R8 must keep writing.

by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2023 10:44 PM

Primetime has been lifted! I went to HAGS in early January and I actually liked it. It is pricey and I spent too much, but I was aware of that coming in. Menu is now picking either 3 or 5 options. I went with the 5 with wine pairings. The food was delicious. There is a vegan bent to the offerings ,but they have meat as well. The wine pairings were well selected. I also received a complementary starter with a wine pairing. The service was friendly and knowledgeable. I met Camille who is quite engaging and briefly Telly, who was busy preparing the orders. I sat at the bar. I came alone, but got to chatting with a woman also alone at the bar and she was a good conversationalist. I had a great night out. If HAGS is a scam they are doing a good job putting over the scam.

So happy to say that HAGS did not play out like a rabid TRA activist on Twitter. Good food, nice people. The price point is very high so not a place I'd go to regularly but once or twice a year, absolutely. I wish them the best.

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2023 12:36 PM

What was the total cost of your meal, sitting at the bar?

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2023 2:07 PM

What was Telly wearing

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2023 4:28 PM

A couple hundred dollars R14. Can't recall what Telly was wearing. I recall though when Janet's song All For One came on the sound system that got Telly dancing and happy.

by Anonymousreply 16February 5, 2023 12:13 AM

A COUPLE HUNDRED for one meal for one person?! Utterly preposterous. Telly's dance is that of Monsieur (Madam?) Thénardier.

by Anonymousreply 17February 5, 2023 3:53 AM

A couple hundred bucks to sit at the counter is outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 18February 5, 2023 4:42 AM

Damn! That was the name we wanted for our restaurant when the Trump Corporation inevitably goes broke!

by Anonymousreply 19February 5, 2023 4:50 AM

Having individual wine pairings for each of the 5 courses certainly drove up the bill, but even if I had just had just one glass of wine to go with the meal, it would have been a pricey night out--mid to upper 100 dollar range.

by Anonymousreply 20February 5, 2023 1:49 PM

Uh oh. HAGS not open today. Once again a pipe burst in their basement so no pay what you can Sunday tonight. Hopefully they're not going to shut down again for a few months.

by Anonymousreply 21February 5, 2023 5:32 PM

How not to survive as a Manhattan restaurant.

How do they afford rent when they close for months and reopen and have the same pipe disaster a month later?

What kind of repair work was done on those pipes?

Who is financially backing these shady HAGS?

by Anonymousreply 22February 5, 2023 5:41 PM

R13 Were Camille's skanky pits on display?

by Anonymousreply 23February 5, 2023 5:46 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much R13. I'm not someone who would want to spend so much on one meal because I like to buy tangible things but it sounds like it was a nice night for you and you got to meet a new person and have a good conversation with them. A fun night is definitely worth some money I suppose, I guess if you look at it that way it was well worth it. I just don't think most people, or let me rephrase that, most people they are trying to appeal to, trans and non binary types, I don't think they can afford it judging by all the go fund me campaigns for top surgery, etc. Too bad it's closed again.

by Anonymousreply 24February 5, 2023 9:10 PM

HAGS is posting about customers having a good time last night and tonight on their social media so looks like they are open and the flooding Sunday was just a temporary set back and not on same level as what occurred last fall that shut them down for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2023 12:39 AM

HAGS is now open on Tuesdays nights as well. Guess they're doing OK.

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2023 12:59 AM

The New Yorker just reviewed HAGS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2023 11:29 PM

And a new interview with Chef Telly Justice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2023 11:33 PM

Queering fine dining? Jfc. And Telly looks more rotund than before.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2023 6:13 AM

"At the East Village restaurant, opened by a queer couple..." A literal man and woman are a "queer" couple...The word queer needs to go, it's offensive and also meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2023 6:14 AM

It means straight guy in a clingy top, cheap earrings and a pixie cut.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2023 9:47 AM

Is Telly Justice trying to channel Jean Seberg in Breathless?

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2023 11:36 AM

R28 I look at that vomit inducing picture of our Telly and wonder "just how unhygienic is his kitchen?".

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2023 11:49 AM

[quote]Every table in the tiny, high-design dining room is set with a bowl of pins printed with pronouns; [bold]the bathroom features a fun-house mirror meant to protect trans diners from feeling dysphoric[/bold], and an apothecary jar filled with fentanyl test strips.

So now mirrors are transphobic.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2023 9:31 PM

During extended primetime I saw a thread asking if HAGS was still around. They are and seem to be doing well. I may pay them another visit this summer. In meantime tonight's pay what you can Sunday proceeds will go to benefit the Dyke March.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2023 5:33 PM

HAGS has nearly killed Quincy Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2023 6:10 PM

Vegan nachos sounds revolting. What is a "dyke march"? I'm guessing it's dudes calling themselves lesbians? How incredibly offensive to lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2023 7:29 PM

Dyke March occurs on Saturday during Pride Parade weekend in NYC. Not sure what it's like these days but some years ago it was for Lesbian women only.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2023 11:44 AM

Is this place still actually attracting customers?

by Anonymousreply 39March 8, 2024 11:56 PM

Their clients rave about the food and service on yelp. The photos posted by the clients of their plates make the food look revolting.

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2024 12:06 AM

Is the Dyke March run by transwomen and not those useless cis women now?

Happy Women’s Day!!

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2024 2:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!