Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #509: Broadway Burnoff Edition

It happens every January and every June

Underneath that old 42nd Street moon

Shows go, shows come;

And as a showbiz rule of thumb:

There's a crying, prolapsed bottom in flip-flops for every light on Broadway.

Continue, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 604January 7, 2023 2:21 AM

Just to kick things off: What a terrible thread title!

Worst thread title in history!

OP should burn in a playbill fire!

Now that that's out of the way, can we just get on to the gossip?

by Anonymousreply 1December 28, 2022 8:52 PM

I'm in London this week. I'll try to pick up some West End gossip.

by Anonymousreply 2December 28, 2022 9:17 PM

Does West End even have any gossip?

by Anonymousreply 3December 28, 2022 9:23 PM

Try to pick up some West End boys too.

by Anonymousreply 4December 28, 2022 9:26 PM

Does West End even have any hot chorus boys?

by Anonymousreply 5December 28, 2022 9:26 PM

They're all hot, they just can't dance.

by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2022 9:44 PM

Is Ginger still the (buttered) toast of the West End?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2022 10:03 PM

No comment on the "Death of a Salesman" incident. I just came here to read the comments... I am attaching a link that includes two videos of the incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2022 10:23 PM

West End is awesome—musicals are often the same productions as on Bway but tickets are $100 for center orchestra— and no ticket fees online!!

It was actually cheaper to fly to London to see Hamilton than to go to Hamilton on Bway

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2022 10:27 PM

Ginger seems shell-shocked and shiny in those videos.

by Anonymousreply 10December 28, 2022 10:38 PM

Oh Playbill trying to be clever—

[Quote] It seems some audience members are more interested in claiming the spotlight for themselves than paying attention to Willy Loman.

But then, oh dear—-

[Quote] To his credit, Pierce did his best to diffuse the situation

by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2022 11:08 PM

Does DL Fave Casey Garvin have any nudes out there?

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2022 11:56 PM

[quote]Ginger seems shell-shocked and shiny in those videos.

As I said, r10, the (buttered) toast of the West End. Powder, Ginge...powder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 29, 2022 12:16 AM

Casey Garvin is a beautiful man

by Anonymousreply 14December 29, 2022 12:25 AM

We are all too busy filling up the Some like it Hot thread

by Anonymousreply 15December 29, 2022 2:38 AM

Kudos to Wendell Pierce for handling that situation as best anyone could. And I hope they ban those assholes from attending a Broadway show ever again.

by Anonymousreply 16December 29, 2022 3:30 AM

Can a show recover from an interruption like that? Will it affect the second act?

by Anonymousreply 17December 29, 2022 5:05 AM

It’s sadly quite rare to see a man live onstage so breathtaking and masculine in a matinee idol way, so Casey is obv perfect for SLIH given the period. Perhaps offstage it’s not the same, but he definitely fills his role - and his skin tight trousers - to perfection. And also Respek to him for getting in super ripped shape during covid as opposed to basically everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 18December 29, 2022 5:21 AM

What exact role is he playing?

by Anonymousreply 19December 29, 2022 5:29 AM

“Only Hot Masc Guy” in sexless, woke, flop (?) SLIH…

by Anonymousreply 20December 29, 2022 5:37 AM

Pictorial & pectoral evidence…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 29, 2022 5:42 AM

That’s what you trolls are slobbering all over? Go touch grass. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 22December 29, 2022 10:56 AM

R21, does he live in a prison or in a shitty apartment because that bathroom is gross

by Anonymousreply 23December 29, 2022 2:02 PM

SLIH grossed $543,368 the week leading up to Christmas. Brand new 'big old fashioned' singing and dancing Broadway musical comedy. That can't be good. What will happen to them in January.

by Anonymousreply 24December 29, 2022 2:54 PM

Did everyone get their Mark MacKillop 2023 calendars yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 29, 2022 3:44 PM

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 26December 29, 2022 3:45 PM

Mark MacKillop is probably the biggest superstar to ever hit Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 27December 29, 2022 3:45 PM

Remember the ‘wokeness-social justice’ schtick isn’t just racial diversity. All women must now have ‘agency.’ Can’t have a ditzy or stupid woman although dumb men are allowed. Plus there must be couple of heavy girls in the ensemble. (There’s a new ‘thicc’ queen in Six, and Little Red is a fattie in this revival.). So nothing is allowed to be mindless. Teaching teaching teaching. Kale in your dessert isn’t fun.

So what are the actually funny parts in SLIH? I haven’t seen it.

by Anonymousreply 28December 29, 2022 3:58 PM

Sorry meant to post this in the slih thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 29, 2022 3:59 PM

R28 don’t forget the ideal woman is Lizzo but the ideal man is a gym bunny with a six pack.

by Anonymousreply 30December 29, 2022 4:06 PM

Rumor is the SLIH producers (The Shubert) are taking out a huge priority loan to float the show through. With that in place, the investors will never see a dime.

by Anonymousreply 31December 29, 2022 4:19 PM

[quote]Can a show recover from an interruption like that? Will it affect the second act?

Apparently, it began at the beginning of Act Two, so there was time to recover. I was at a Stratford Festival performance of " The Tempest" with the wonderful Christopher Plummer playing Prospero. As he was delivering his powerful closing speech, a phone rang. The woman was too embarrassed to reach into her purse to turn it off, so she just let it ring. Plummer just stopped and bowed his head. Finally, someone in the audience shouted, "Turn off your damn phone. " She did, but the moment had been ruined. After he finished the show, she took a lot of verbal abuse from audience members leaving the theater.

by Anonymousreply 32December 29, 2022 4:40 PM

Is Mark the guy who was with DL icon Brian Sims?

by Anonymousreply 33December 29, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote]Plummer just stopped and bowed his head.

AMATEUR!

by Anonymousreply 34December 29, 2022 5:15 PM

[quote]Rumor is the SLIH producers (The Shubert) are taking out a huge priority loan to float the show through.

Through to what? The only prayer it has is that it can win the Tony for Best Musical, but such a win is far from a lock. And four to five months is an awful long time to float a big show that's losing money week after week. I think KIMBERLY AKIMBO has a far better chance for long-term survival, as it's a much smaller show that could be floated till it likely wins the Best Musical Tony.

by Anonymousreply 35December 29, 2022 5:18 PM

What did the woman say at Death of a Salesman? There also seems to have been a man with her who followed her up to the stage

by Anonymousreply 36December 29, 2022 6:23 PM

She said "JUSTICE FOR BEANIE!"

by Anonymousreply 37December 29, 2022 6:24 PM

R33 yes, what’s the story with BS?

by Anonymousreply 38December 29, 2022 6:26 PM

Mark MacKillop is the best actor to EVER be on Broadway and he should have 10 Tonys!

by Anonymousreply 39December 29, 2022 6:27 PM

She was upset that her husband got her the mini IPad for Christmas without Retina display!

by Anonymousreply 40December 29, 2022 6:28 PM

[quote] Mark MacKillop is the best actor to EVER be on Broadway and he should have 10 Tonys!

When did Mark hire Jason Dottley to be his PR agent?

by Anonymousreply 41December 29, 2022 6:33 PM

Mark MacKillop is no Casey Garvin!

by Anonymousreply 42December 29, 2022 6:37 PM

Mark and Casey are no Clairborne Elder!

by Anonymousreply 43December 29, 2022 6:39 PM

Yasssssss Kweens!!!! Yasssssss!!!! Werk beetches!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 29, 2022 6:42 PM

Is Mark MacKillop the handsome man ever on earth?

by Anonymousreply 45December 29, 2022 6:44 PM

*most* handsome

by Anonymousreply 46December 29, 2022 6:47 PM

r12 Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 29, 2022 6:52 PM

[quote]Mark and Casey are no Clairborne Elder!

But are they a CLAYBOURNE Elder?

by Anonymousreply 48December 29, 2022 6:53 PM

They are a Claybourne Clary.

by Anonymousreply 49December 29, 2022 7:00 PM

Who ever is at R47 is fat with a tiny dick. Again, go touch grass.

by Anonymousreply 50December 29, 2022 7:04 PM

R50 no one anywhere in the known universe thinks you're clever. Shhh....grown folks are talking.

by Anonymousreply 51December 29, 2022 7:08 PM

Wow, you block one person on this thread and half of it disappears. The fat tiny dicked “actor’s” fan needs to be redtagged and banned. Muriel?

by Anonymousreply 52December 29, 2022 7:10 PM

anyway....

by Anonymousreply 53December 29, 2022 7:15 PM

r49 = Cloris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 29, 2022 7:18 PM

Since I besmirched NYTW on the previous thread for the Merrily cancellation, I need to praise them in this one. They took time to think of a good response and they came up with one.

Most important, they offered rescheduling through the rest of the run, providing a form for to denote your availability. They apologized for how long they made the audience wait. And they offered comps to their next show and priority access to Broadway.

That’s a class act.

by Anonymousreply 55December 29, 2022 7:35 PM

R14, Unfortunately, when he speaks, purses come flying out of his mouth one after the other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 29, 2022 7:44 PM

[quote]when he speaks, purses come flying out of his mouth one after the other.

Anything in a vintage Leiber clutch, r56?

by Anonymousreply 57December 29, 2022 7:49 PM

Garvin doesn't sound all that gay, just young. And compared to Paul Wontorek, who is combining gayspeak, vocal fry and a throwback to Valley Girl, how can you single out anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 58December 29, 2022 7:51 PM

R58, He’s more feminine than Arlene Dahl during that interview.

by Anonymousreply 59December 29, 2022 7:56 PM

He doesn't have Arlene's complexion, r59.

by Anonymousreply 60December 29, 2022 7:59 PM

R56, he has a very unique look. I think it’s sexy but others may think his eyes are too big

by Anonymousreply 61December 29, 2022 8:07 PM

OMG. Less than 65 posts in and OP is already red-tagged.

This thread is doomed. Start another.

by Anonymousreply 62December 29, 2022 8:14 PM

I guess Casey Garvin is okay if you like fatties.

by Anonymousreply 63December 29, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote]No comment on the "Death of a Salesman"

City on fire! City on fire!

Mischief! Mischief! Mischief!

by Anonymousreply 64December 29, 2022 8:23 PM

Not red-tagged for me, r62.

by Anonymousreply 65December 29, 2022 8:29 PM

Any insiders have word on the advance for Sweeney Todd? I'm genuinely grateful that the producers have chosen to go 'big' on this one and have the full orchestra. But, I have to imagine this is not going to be a cheap production and unless it sets the box office on fire, it either won't last or they'll start taking steps to reduce costs. I have to imagine reducing the size of the orchestra would be a the top of that list. I know Groban has his fans, but I think they may be overestimating his pull.

And, yes, I know they're using the large size of the orchestra in the marketing, but so did the On the Town revival, which, at the time had the largest orchestra on Broadway, but half-way through the run, they reduced the size of the orchestra to keep the production going, too.

With regard to Groban, I keep hoping he has some Audra in Lady Day surprise up his sleeve and can, somehow, sing with a much deeper, more resonant tone than we're used to hearing from him. I know the likelihood is slim and, instead, we're now going to get this romantic tenor/high baritone tone as the new expectation for Sweeney. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 66December 29, 2022 8:32 PM

[quote]surprise up his sleeve and can, somehow, sing with a much deeper, more resonant tone than we're used to hearing from him.

You won't even notice with the freewheeling patio number happening behind him, r66.

by Anonymousreply 67December 29, 2022 9:10 PM

They’ve talked big orchestra at Sweeney but we haven’t heard anything re set design or scale. I’m worried. Kail isn’t that good

by Anonymousreply 68December 29, 2022 9:15 PM

Cheap sets and costumes will make up for the cost of the orchestra. You'll see.

by Anonymousreply 69December 29, 2022 9:17 PM

No fucking lasagna!

by Anonymousreply 70December 29, 2022 9:30 PM

That's interesting, the Sweeney website doesn't list a lot of the creatives who, presumably, would have been hired a long time ago. Do we know who's doing sets, lighting, costumes? That might give us a clue to scale as well.

Also, while not a big Groban fan, I have to admit that he always comes across as pretty charming, down to earth and self-aware. So, his bio on the Sweeney site is making me chuckle. I'm sure he had no hand in writing it, but, goodness, they make him sound like the second coming. Don't get me wrong, I don't like bios that are literally just a list of credits, but this is... something...

[quote]Tony, Emmy, and four-time Grammy Award–nominated singer, songwriter, actor, and philanthropist Josh Groban possesses one of the most outstanding and instantly recognizable voices in music. Moreover, he continues to captivate fans everywhere as both a powerhouse vocalist and dynamic Renaissance man. He has sold over 35 million albums worldwide, headlined legendary venues on multiple continents, and entertained audiences with acclaimed film and television appearances. His catalog spans a series of chart-topping blockbuster albums, including Josh Groban (5x platinum); Closer (6x platinum); Noël (6x platinum); Awake (2x platinum); Illumination; All That Echoes (gold); Stages (gold); his first UK #1 album, Bridges; and his most recent release, Harmony. Along the way, he has packed arenas throughout North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Asia.

[quote]Extending his repertoire, Groban made his Broadway debut in 2016 with a starring role in Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812. He garnered a Tony Award nomination for Best Lead Actor in a Musical. He has expanded his presence with appearances on “Glee,” “The Simpsons,” “The Office,” “CSI: NY,” “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” and “The Crazy Ones,” as well as in the feature films Coffee Town, Muppets Most Wanted, and Crazy, Stupid, Love. In addition, he starred in the Netflix series “The Good Cop” in 2018.

[quote]Groban maintains his position as the consummate American showman in 2022 and beyond. This year, he returned to the hallowed stage of Radio City Music Hall for his Great Big Radio City Show residency and launched a nationwide live tour. He remains an active arts-education philanthropist and advocate, and his Find Your Light Foundation helps enrich the lives of young people through arts, education, and cultural awareness.

by Anonymousreply 71December 29, 2022 9:34 PM

Sounds like a throat slitter to me.

by Anonymousreply 72December 29, 2022 9:36 PM

I guess we also don't know the size of the ensemble yet either. Perhaps it will be smaller than the original production. That seems likely. According to IBDB, there were 18 "Members of the Company" in the original production of Sweeney. That was 18 cast members on top of all of the named principal and supporting roles.

by Anonymousreply 73December 29, 2022 9:43 PM

[quote]Moreover, he continues to captivate fans everywhere as ... a dynamic Renaissance man.

Does this mean he takes it up the chocolate speedway?

by Anonymousreply 74December 29, 2022 9:43 PM

From Popbitch - Darius was a pop singer

[quote]Usually if a star name goes to the trouble of getting leaving gifts for their supporting cast at the end of a West End run, they'll get a job lot of one thing and then dish out the same gift to everyone on the payroll. Not Darius though.

[quote]On the last night of his run as Billy Flynn in Chicago, he handed out unique individual presents to every last member of the cast and crew. They were all so touched by this gesture that they chose to overlook the fact that some of the gifts still had handwritten tags attached to them – addressed to Darius and signed by his adoring fans...

by Anonymousreply 75December 29, 2022 9:46 PM

Well this thread is already a shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 76December 29, 2022 10:45 PM

Sweeney Todd will be profitable from selling meat pies at intermission.

by Anonymousreply 77December 29, 2022 11:50 PM

[quote] Sweeney Todd will be profitable from selling meat pies at intermission.

They probably won’t even use actual shepherd on top of the shepherd’s pie

by Anonymousreply 78December 29, 2022 11:53 PM

They could use Franklin Shepard.

by Anonymousreply 79December 30, 2022 12:27 AM

Broadway Superstar Mark MacKillop is now doing Cameos for all your special event needs.

ONLY $40!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 30, 2022 12:49 AM

Who would pay .01 cent for this nobody?

And who would buy his milquetoast generic calendar?

And who would spend $100 on an autographed version?

Talk about high key chorus boy delusions.

by Anonymousreply 81December 30, 2022 1:17 AM

R81 how very dare you!? To be so rude about International Broadway Superstar & Musical Theatre Legend Mark MacKillop is uncalled for, Patti Lupone isn’t fit to shine his show.

by Anonymousreply 82December 30, 2022 1:21 AM

Well, I see *some* of us aren't in the season of giving anymore. Why the doldrums? The holidays aren't quite finished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 30, 2022 1:48 AM

Hugh Jackman is hinting that The Music Man will not close after all, and his replacement will be Ryan Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 84December 30, 2022 2:09 AM

Legit, or just more of that tedious flirt-friendship between the two?

by Anonymousreply 85December 30, 2022 2:24 AM

Here's the tweet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 30, 2022 9:06 AM

Ryan Reynolds lacks the talent to portray Harold Hill on a Broadway stage.

by Anonymousreply 87December 30, 2022 9:12 AM

R87, disagree. Ryan Reynolds can sing, is handsome, and pulls off con artist very well. I think he's better casting for Harold Hill than Hugh himself.

by Anonymousreply 88December 30, 2022 9:20 AM

R88 = Blake Lively

by Anonymousreply 89December 30, 2022 9:55 AM

[quote] Ryan Reynolds can sing, is handsome, and pulls off con artist very well. I think he's better casting for Harold Hill than Hugh himself.

How much theater has he done? Eight shows a week is a lot different than shooting a movie.

by Anonymousreply 90December 30, 2022 10:15 AM

R90, I don't know Ryan's theatre background. He may not be very reliable, but that doesn't mean he's not talented enough.

by Anonymousreply 91December 30, 2022 10:36 AM

If he’s not talented enough to do eight (or even six) shows a week, he’s not talented enough to play Harold Hill on Broadway.

Hugh started in theater. Ryan started in television. As far as I can tell, Ryan’s never done theater.

by Anonymousreply 92December 30, 2022 10:57 AM

[quote]As far as I can tell, Ryan’s never done theater.

It looks like all he has done live is standup comedy, and that was long ago.

by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2022 11:02 AM

R91, He’s NOT talented enough.

by Anonymousreply 94December 30, 2022 11:28 AM

Ryan CANNOT sing. Here he is as a competitor on Korea's " King of the Masked Singer," which is the model for the American version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 30, 2022 11:46 AM

The unmasking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 30, 2022 11:49 AM

[quote] With regard to Groban, I keep hoping he has some Audra in Lady Day surprise up his sleeve and can, somehow, sing with a much deeper, more resonant tone than we're used to hearing from him. I know the likelihood is slim and, instead, we're now going to get this romantic tenor/high baritone tone as the new expectation for Sweeney. Ugh.

Lol, you think Josh Groban is going to change into a bass? That’s never going to happen. He’s a light operetta like baritenor. He will never have the vocal gravitas to pull off Sweeney. I don’t care what they attempt to do to his voice at the sound board, it will never work. He could be outsung by any mediocre incoming freshman classical conservatory baritone. Sweeney will also not be cast as a romantic tenor in the future. This is a one off that may very well end up as a Beanie moment if he’s not very very careful.

by Anonymousreply 97December 30, 2022 11:49 AM

r87/r90/r91/r92/r94

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 30, 2022 12:15 PM

I think Hugh just means another actor from another show in that dressing room. A show can't really announce a new star with less than 2 weeks' notice, they need to have sold some tickets. It doesn't happen instantly.

by Anonymousreply 99December 30, 2022 12:19 PM

although nothing in announced to the WG is there?

by Anonymousreply 100December 30, 2022 1:18 PM

Hasn't BACK TO THE FUTURE been announced for the Winter Garden after a substantial reno to accommodate the sets?

by Anonymousreply 101December 30, 2022 1:27 PM

You know who would be a perfect replacement for Hugh…?

Mark MacKillop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 30, 2022 1:59 PM

Is someone murdering a cat?

Oh, wait, that's just the singer in R102's video.

by Anonymousreply 103December 30, 2022 2:09 PM

This Sweeney revival will most likely be a disaster. Maybe it'll kill Broadway dead.

by Anonymousreply 104December 30, 2022 2:09 PM

Kail directed Hamilton, In the Heights, Lombardi, Magic/Bird, and Freestyle Love Supreme. Doesn't give me confidence, but I'm willing to wait and see (as if we have a choice) - but the character, drama, tone and style that Sweeney needs is a tall order.

by Anonymousreply 105December 30, 2022 2:12 PM

It's a good thing Mark looks good naked.

by Anonymousreply 106December 30, 2022 2:14 PM

Mark MacKillop is giving trustfund baby vibes.

by Anonymousreply 107December 30, 2022 2:15 PM

R106 is that how he gets his roles?

by Anonymousreply 108December 30, 2022 2:15 PM

Much has been made about the failure of shows such as K-Pop. As someone who respects the dancing of the K-pop genre, I can tell you that the show was pretty bad, an insult to the entire genre. Sloppy dancing and singing will not draw audiences. Producers were banking on the popularity of the entire K-Pop phenomenon, while fans who saw the show hated it for its bad imitation. Just compare and you can see why it flopped. Let's just compare the men's number at 1:39 to Enhypen, a group of teenagers, who are new on the scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 30, 2022 2:19 PM

Enhypen dance practice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 30, 2022 2:20 PM

Everyone seems a tad too young in this upcoming Sweeney Todd.

by Anonymousreply 111December 30, 2022 2:20 PM

Getting back to Casey Garvin's cock (and thanks R47 for the link) the hard cock that Casey is showing off in the first pic looks nothing like the much longer cock in the other pics. Are the other pics a stunt cock?

by Anonymousreply 112December 30, 2022 2:23 PM

Ryan Reynolds seems to have a pleasant enough voice. I wouldn't say Wolverine has an amazing voice either.

Ryan Reynolds lives in Westchester, I believe, so it'll be an easy trip for him to get to and from the theatre.

The real issue is that Bway audiences just love love love when any Hollywood actor comes to NYC to star in a show--even B-list actors are welcomed with open arms

by Anonymousreply 113December 30, 2022 2:29 PM

Oh here we go with r112, always has to be one insisting they must be fake

by Anonymousreply 114December 30, 2022 2:32 PM

I thought the pic at R47 was the Mark M. idiot some lunatic keeps posting about, not Casey Garvin.

by Anonymousreply 115December 30, 2022 2:34 PM

Who is Mark M.?

by Anonymousreply 116December 30, 2022 2:35 PM

R116, refer to the off-key braying sound at R102.

by Anonymousreply 117December 30, 2022 2:38 PM

To me, Ryan Reynolds has always come across as gay. He has one of the worst cases of gay voice of any apparently/supposedly straight actor I can think of, another example being Peter Sarsgaard. So I'm not sure how well that's going to work with the plot of THE MUSIC MAN, aside from every other reason why I would be wary of such casting.

by Anonymousreply 118December 30, 2022 2:39 PM

Reynolds and Jackman met on Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 119December 30, 2022 2:41 PM

R114 Geez simmer down. I didn't say the other shots were fake. They just look about 3-4" longer than the other body shot photo. I happen to think he looks quite nice with his shorter, stubby cock. And good for him if his cock can vary that much when it's hard.

by Anonymousreply 120December 30, 2022 2:42 PM

Reynolds sounds perfectly fine in the musical numbers in Spirited on Apple TV +. Unlike Will Ferrell and Octavia Spencer who are embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 121December 30, 2022 2:48 PM

What ever happened to the mediocre Aladdin replacement?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 30, 2022 2:55 PM

Does Mark M have a McGillin sized endowment?

by Anonymousreply 123December 30, 2022 2:56 PM

How did Telly ever land the lead in Aladdin? 👂🏽🎧🙉🙀🎤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 30, 2022 2:59 PM

[quote]Everyone seems a tad too young in this upcoming Sweeney Todd.

Then you don't really understand the story or the characters.

And no, Sweeney Todd is not a "bass" role. It's a baritone role that requires the singer to sing in his lowest register at a few key moments.

by Anonymousreply 125December 30, 2022 3:01 PM

R122, I know nothing of his talent, but he sure has a bangin' bod. Too bad about that ridiculous tattoo, though.

by Anonymousreply 126December 30, 2022 3:14 PM

My bf ate Casey G’s ass once. He gave it high marks.

by Anonymousreply 127December 30, 2022 3:15 PM

The tattoo actually looks great

by Anonymousreply 128December 30, 2022 3:15 PM

R126 looks like he went a little off course during COVID, started on a mental health “journey” and got tatted up big time. Too sad.

by Anonymousreply 129December 30, 2022 3:17 PM

R128 are you joking?

by Anonymousreply 130December 30, 2022 3:18 PM

Even if he can squeak out a tune, performing 8 shows a week is a talent unto itself.

If Ryan has this talent, he has yet to show any evidence of it.

by Anonymousreply 131December 30, 2022 3:18 PM

These tattoos look great, R128 ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 30, 2022 3:20 PM

Not r128, but yeah, I think they look just fine.

by Anonymousreply 133December 30, 2022 3:22 PM

Geez, have some standards, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 134December 30, 2022 3:23 PM

R132, yikes, but those aren't the one back tattoo in R122.

by Anonymousreply 135December 30, 2022 3:23 PM

KPOP looks like just another “we have a pre-sold title, so let’s just throw any crap on stage and take the paycheck” show. An insult to real K-POP (and I’m not even a fan).

We’ve seen this before, from Good Vibrations to Tootsie. We have a title that’ll bring ‘em in, so fuck the creative process.

This is what will kill Broadway. Not wokeness, but laziness.

by Anonymousreply 136December 30, 2022 3:25 PM

R135 yeah I didn’t even see the back tat, it’s all too much

by Anonymousreply 137December 30, 2022 3:26 PM

R136 no, it’ll be a combo of the two.

by Anonymousreply 138December 30, 2022 3:27 PM

[quote]Not [R128], but yeah, I think they look just fine.

Then you are part of the problem. When it comes to people permanently decorating -- i.e., defacing -- their bodies, I'd rather have a functioning brain than an "open mind"

by Anonymousreply 139December 30, 2022 3:34 PM

Hiss!

HISSSSSSSSSSS!!

by Anonymousreply 140December 30, 2022 3:34 PM

R140 has bad taste and is trashy

by Anonymousreply 141December 30, 2022 3:36 PM

Quick, let’s talk about Follies!

by Anonymousreply 142December 30, 2022 3:38 PM

R142 those tats are quite the folly

by Anonymousreply 143December 30, 2022 3:40 PM

I dislike tattoos, R141.

But I dislike persnickety cunts even more.

by Anonymousreply 144December 30, 2022 3:42 PM

Buddy would probably have tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 145December 30, 2022 3:44 PM

Using the word persnickety is persnickety in itself. Have fun with your butterfly ankle tat.

by Anonymousreply 146December 30, 2022 3:46 PM

I actually like tattoos, because they’re like big tangible red flags.

by Anonymousreply 147December 30, 2022 3:47 PM

Um, would Kristin Chenoweth make a good Sally? Would she win another Sally Tony?

by Anonymousreply 148December 30, 2022 3:54 PM

R146 bathes with a rag on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 149December 30, 2022 4:06 PM

R149 I borrow it from you.

by Anonymousreply 150December 30, 2022 4:10 PM

Buck would never have gotten tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 151December 30, 2022 4:10 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152December 30, 2022 4:13 PM

No R125. The role is actually quite low in several places, requiring several sustained low passages. Notes Groban does not have. It’s really a bass baritone role. It requires a depth of sound that Groban doesn’t have.

by Anonymousreply 153December 30, 2022 4:22 PM

r152 I did it better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 30, 2022 4:24 PM

Having been involved in a couple of misguided big Broadway flop musicals, I can testify that it's really not fair to accuse the creators of laziness. It's simply a lack of talent and skill. And taste. There's a difference there.

by Anonymousreply 155December 30, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote]I actually like tattoos, because they’re like big tangible red flags.

Well, that is a good point!

[quote]No [R125]. The role is actually quite low in several places, requiring several sustained low passages. Notes Groban does not have. It’s really a bass baritone role. It requires a depth of sound that Groban doesn’t have.

A bass-baritone role is not a bass role. And do you know for sure that Groban doesn't have those notes -- not even with the current level of Broadway amplification -- or do you just assume so? I wouldn't have thought that Michael Cerveris had those notes before he played Sweeney, but it turned out to be no problem for him.

by Anonymousreply 156December 30, 2022 4:55 PM

Lea is out for the matinee today (unscheduled absence).

by Anonymousreply 157December 30, 2022 5:20 PM

I rewatched the Groban CHESS concert a few weeks ago. He seriously cannot act. What are they thinking that he can pull off SWEENEY?

by Anonymousreply 158December 30, 2022 5:35 PM

Tats are downright trashy. I agree with Dustin Hoffman who called them “the vandalization of the body.”

by Anonymousreply 159December 30, 2022 5:35 PM

The singing in 'Sweeney' will sound like a bunch of honking and screeching drowned out by a giant orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 160December 30, 2022 5:40 PM

That Aladdin guy was pretty hot before the frontal tat work

by Anonymousreply 161December 30, 2022 5:46 PM

R157, She’s returning Christmas gifts for store credit.

by Anonymousreply 162December 30, 2022 5:46 PM

Ryan R must have a pad in Manhattan too. He's been spotted with Bradley Cooper in the West Village and I believe both have a kid at the same school.

by Anonymousreply 163December 30, 2022 5:49 PM

Let me know when they're sharing a bed and not just a school.

by Anonymousreply 164December 30, 2022 5:52 PM

“Having” the notes doesn’t mean they should be sung on a stage R156. I have a high sustained B flat and B in a practice room. That doesn’t mean I’m a tenor. We’ve already had one total vocal catastrophe with Beanie ruining a show that was meant for a singer. We don’t need another lightweight trying to sing something well beyond their ability and capacity.

by Anonymousreply 165December 30, 2022 6:37 PM

Harold Hill doesn't have to sing very well.

by Anonymousreply 166December 30, 2022 6:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 30, 2022 6:42 PM

[Quote] Having been involved in a couple of misguided big Broadway flop musicals, I can testify that it's really not fair to accuse the creators of laziness. It's simply a lack of talent and skill. And taste. There's a difference there.

I [Italic] thought [/italic] I recognized you from the Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public merch stand!

by Anonymousreply 168December 30, 2022 6:45 PM

r165 So your answer to r156's question is "no" then

by Anonymousreply 169December 30, 2022 7:23 PM

[quote][R157], She’s returning Christmas gifts for store credit.

She had to have Beanie's checked out by the bomb squad.

by Anonymousreply 170December 30, 2022 8:43 PM

[quote] Everyone seems a tad too young in this upcoming Sweeney Todd.

Sweeney spends 15 years in bloody Australia. He was probably early twenties when the judge shipped him off. So he’s pushing forty.

Groban is 41

by Anonymousreply 171December 30, 2022 8:51 PM

Yes, R53. ANYWAY. Now fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 172December 30, 2022 11:14 PM

ha! ha!

by Anonymousreply 173December 30, 2022 11:39 PM

Sweeney doesn’t necessarily have to act well! Or sing for that matter!

by Anonymousreply 174December 31, 2022 11:41 AM

Did anyone see The Pirate Queen? I meant to see it but never got around to it.

What it terrible?

by Anonymousreply 175December 31, 2022 2:38 PM

What it is.

by Anonymousreply 176December 31, 2022 2:38 PM

R176, LOL

by Anonymousreply 177December 31, 2022 2:41 PM

I watched a bootleg recording, R175. I vaguely remember the Pirate Queen giving birth during a sword fight aboard a ship.

by Anonymousreply 178December 31, 2022 2:52 PM

Thank you, R175, for attempting to resuscitate this dying, anemic thread. Sadly, your topic of choice is equally inane.

by Anonymousreply 179December 31, 2022 2:54 PM

R178, It was supposed to be Stephanie J. Block’s star making vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 180December 31, 2022 3:01 PM

The fetus popped its tiny hand out of SJB's pussy and grabbed the sword.

by Anonymousreply 181December 31, 2022 3:02 PM

I just listened to a podcast about The Pirate Queen. It didn’t seem like a life that would make a good musical.

And yes, she gave birth and then her ship got attacked. Apparently she jumped out of bed and started to fight.

by Anonymousreply 182December 31, 2022 3:09 PM

I've said it before, but I don't think it's a crime if a theatre gossip thread lingers a bit. It's better than having 400 posts of "You suck!" "No, you suck!" in a four-hour span.

by Anonymousreply 183December 31, 2022 3:25 PM

[quote]Did anyone see The Pirate Queen? I meant to see it but never got around to it.

It wasn't Carrie level "so bad it's good", r175, but it's close. Here is a decent boot.

Nick Adams, whose biceps would later threaten Marto Lopez's fragile ego in the A Chorus Line revival, is in the ensemble.

[quote]And yes, she gave birth and then her ship got attacked. Apparently she jumped out of bed and started to fight.

Not exactly, r182. The birth occurs onstage, spread legs and all (mercifully facing upstage in dim light). Block has time to sing a sweet song to her newborn son, before their ship is attacked. She asks for her sword and literally CRAWLS across the stage to kill the leader of the band who had boarded the ship, turning the tide of the battle. Then she collapses.

It was hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 31, 2022 3:50 PM

Yes yes yes to r183. (But is it ‘gossip’ to bemoan this gosh-darn new jukebox musical phenomenon or say producers are capitalists or say ‘Beanie!’ or ‘go woke go broke’ or ‘some like my twat’ Tourette’s-like whenever there’s lull?

by Anonymousreply 185December 31, 2022 3:50 PM

The Pirate Queen was famous for meeting with Queen Elizabeth I to plead for the British ambassador to give her son back

by Anonymousreply 186December 31, 2022 3:58 PM

I saw the Pirate Queen. She was riding on a boat with other queens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187December 31, 2022 4:03 PM

2023 predictions? "Downstate" opens on broadway and wins Best Play and Best Featured Actor for K. Todd Freeman, Susanna Guzman for Featured Actress. Stephen McKinley Henderson grabs Best Actor for BRAC. "Camelot" is such a disaster, it only gets a nomination for Philippa Soo. "Kimberley Akimbo" wins Best Musical, Vicky Clark wins Best Actress in a Musical. "Some Like It Hot" doesn't last until June and gets a nom for Best Book but not Best Score. Ghee wins Best Actor in a Musical. "Leopoldstadt" gets the most nominations but leaves empty-handed. Jodie Comer wins Best Actress in a Play, "Man Of No Importance" wins Best Revival. "Ohio State Murders" wins Best Revival of a Play. Featured Actor in a Musical goes to Kevin Del Aguila, Featured Actress to Bonnie Milligan.

by Anonymousreply 188December 31, 2022 4:09 PM

Kimberly Akimbo was cute but a stretch for Best Musical. It didn’t have much of a message really.

by Anonymousreply 189December 31, 2022 4:12 PM

I think Kimberly's best chance is a Best Actress win for Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 190December 31, 2022 4:20 PM

So "Here Lies Love" wins Best Musical?

by Anonymousreply 191December 31, 2022 4:23 PM

R191, yikes, I hope not. Saw it off Bway—meh

by Anonymousreply 192December 31, 2022 4:27 PM

Watching Sondheim’s Old Friends on BBC2 at my airbnb in The Netherlands. Jealous, bitches? Haha.

There’s already too much Clive Rowe in this. Uggh.

Fattie Michael Ball did a nice rendition of “Loving You.”

The big guns like Dame Judi don’t show up until Act 2.

by Anonymousreply 193December 31, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote]Is it ‘gossip’ to bemoan this gosh-darn new jukebox musical phenomenon or say producers are capitalists or say ‘Beanie!’ or ‘go woke go broke’ or ‘some like my twat’ Tourette’s-like whenever there’s lull?

Maybe you somehow haven't noticed, but I would say an extremely small percentage of posts in the "Theatre Gossip" threads could really be described as gossip. Mostly, these threads are about sharing opinions.

by Anonymousreply 194December 31, 2022 4:58 PM

So far Sondheim’s Old Friends is smooth and slick but typical West End performances as opposed to Broadway-fully professional but somewhat bland and lacking any dynamism.

Damien Lewis was a fun Mr. Wolf, though.

by Anonymousreply 195December 31, 2022 5:13 PM

[quote]Mostly, these threads are about sharing opinions.

Sharing?

by Anonymousreply 196December 31, 2022 5:16 PM

Maria Friedman ain’t no Angie on “Worst Pies in London.” She’s performing it like it’s part of a Vegas act.

Dame Judi made me cry with “Send in the Clowns.”

by Anonymousreply 197December 31, 2022 5:26 PM

[quote]She’s performing it like it’s part of a Vegas act.

Sequins and plumes?

by Anonymousreply 198December 31, 2022 5:29 PM

Unless there's something really surprising in the wings (like Bad Cinderella turning out to be amazing), and now that Some Like It Hot turned out to be underwhelming, I think New York, New York now has the best shot at winning Best Musical.

by Anonymousreply 199December 31, 2022 5:31 PM

R199, how can you say that when so much about the show is still unknown?

by Anonymousreply 200December 31, 2022 5:34 PM

Michael Ball’s really impressive on “A Little Priest”-Maria Friedman less so.

by Anonymousreply 201December 31, 2022 5:36 PM

These pasty white boys playing the Jets in this WSS segment are awful.

by Anonymousreply 202December 31, 2022 5:48 PM

I was at the NYTW Merrily performance that was cancelled. Someone upthread mentioned the theater had made a statement--I can't find it online. Could you post it please?

by Anonymousreply 203December 31, 2022 6:07 PM

Petula Clark isn’t the best choice to perform “I’m Still Here.”

by Anonymousreply 204December 31, 2022 6:09 PM

“I’m Still Here” should never be sung with a Brit accent. The song was written for an American broad.

by Anonymousreply 205December 31, 2022 6:12 PM

R205, do you think there are no older British musical theater women who have experienced the idea of that stupid song from whatever minor show for which it was written?

by Anonymousreply 206December 31, 2022 6:18 PM

Michael Ball’s the MVP of this thing. He was great in the Sweeney Todd segment and his performance of “How Could I Leave You?” was surprisingly powerful. I wonder if Sondheim would approve of the new gay twist to it.

Jesus, Gary Wilmot is bland as shit.

by Anonymousreply 207December 31, 2022 6:20 PM

R188 I demand justice! Erasure!

by Anonymousreply 208December 31, 2022 6:26 PM

Damn, Bernadette’s “Losing My Mind” was rough.

by Anonymousreply 209December 31, 2022 6:29 PM

Oh gawd, Imelda’s on now, hitting her Rs real hard and still pronouncing “everything” as “ev-ruh-thing.”

by Anonymousreply 210December 31, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote] Michael Ball’s the MVP of this thing. He was great in the Sweeney Todd segment and his performance of “How Could I Leave You?” was surprisingly powerful. I wonder if Sondheim would approve of the new gay twist to it.

He seemed to like it when David Kernan did it in 1985

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211December 31, 2022 6:39 PM

Sorry, “1976”, not “1985”

by Anonymousreply 212December 31, 2022 6:40 PM

How could Man of No Importance win Best Revival if it doesn't open on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 213December 31, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote]Petula Clark isn’t the best choice to perform “I’m Still Here.”

It would've been worse if they'd chosen someone who wasn't "still here" by the time the show was broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 214December 31, 2022 7:31 PM

[Quote] Mostly, these threads are about sharing opinions.

My point exactly

by Anonymousreply 215December 31, 2022 7:34 PM

That woulda been good, r214.

by Anonymousreply 216December 31, 2022 7:35 PM

[quote] I wonder if Sondheim would approve of the new gay twist to it.

Pssst. Sondheim's dead.

by Anonymousreply 217December 31, 2022 7:35 PM

[Quote] How could Man of No Importance win Best Revival if it doesn't open on Broadway?

Cue Maggie Smith withering eye-roll GIF troll.

by Anonymousreply 218December 31, 2022 7:35 PM

I would love to see Bernadette’s Losing My Mind. I know her voice is GONE but I’d still love to see it

by Anonymousreply 219December 31, 2022 7:37 PM

R203, that was me. I had member tickets and, on re-reading the email, the offer to reschedule was only for members at that performance. Unfortunately, I have no idea what they did with non-member tickets.

by Anonymousreply 220December 31, 2022 7:49 PM

Kimberly Akimbo is a lock on Best Musical. Everyone loves it. I know three Tony voters, and they all went on about how great it is.

by Anonymousreply 221December 31, 2022 7:49 PM

Based on seeing Groban in COMET, he can not act. And yes, Sweeney Todd requires someone who can act. Speaking of people who can not act who’ve played Sweeney, did anyone see Michael Ball with DL’s favorite shrill shrew Imelda Staunton?

by Anonymousreply 222December 31, 2022 8:12 PM

Sounds like an easy to tour show, r221.

by Anonymousreply 223December 31, 2022 8:15 PM

Only a matter of time before this landed on YT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 31, 2022 8:15 PM

...oh.

by Anonymousreply 225December 31, 2022 8:21 PM

Bernadette sounds rough is the understatement of the year....

by Anonymousreply 226December 31, 2022 9:02 PM

Julia (and friends) again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 31, 2022 9:32 PM

[Quote] Based on seeing Groban in COMET, he can not act. And yes, Sweeney Todd requires someone who can act.

It’s been a long time (at least a decade, right?). Maybe he’s taken some acting lessons

by Anonymousreply 228December 31, 2022 9:37 PM

[quote]Maybe he’s taken some acting lessons

They were included with his lessons in poise and charm

by Anonymousreply 229December 31, 2022 9:42 PM

Josh Groban IS "The Wedding Singer". Really....he is...

by Anonymousreply 230December 31, 2022 10:01 PM

Steve, Lee Remick, Peter Lawford, and Audrey Meadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231December 31, 2022 10:18 PM

GO WOKE, GO BROKE.

by Anonymousreply 232December 31, 2022 11:09 PM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 233December 31, 2022 11:15 PM

R213-You'd have to ask Tom Kirdahy.

by Anonymousreply 234December 31, 2022 11:37 PM

I just watched the Spring Awakening reunion documentary. John Gallagher came off as very sweet and unassuming. Lea and Groff were annoying.

by Anonymousreply 235January 1, 2023 12:20 AM

I've worked with all 3, r235. I'd say that's an accurate assessment. Gallagher is a genuinely sweet and very kind guy,

by Anonymousreply 236January 1, 2023 12:38 AM

Michael Ball was fine in Sweeney Todd. He’s a better singer than an actor, but as he sang the role beautifully - and still could, I’d wager - it didn’t really matter that his take on the role was not particularly exciting or revelatory. I also think starring opposite Imelda helped, as she was fucking great in it. Probably one of the best performances I’ve ever seen in a musical.

Groban will similarly be fine, I expect. Sweeney Todd is a show that can still work be with a merely adequately-acted Sweeney - it’s when your Mrs Lovett is only adequate that things begin to fall apart. Annaleigh Ashford is a great talent, though - I hope she storms it.

FWIW, I thought Old Friends was a dreadful hot mess. Old being the operative word - was it that hard to cast a commemorative concert with people who could actually still sing the songs? I’m a huge, huge fan of Bernadette, but this made me sad. And Maria Friedman seems unable to direct a song lyric that contains a verb without needing the replicate the action. The whole thing felt funereal and oddly private - having them sing Not a Day Goes By while staring up at a slideshow was just weird.

by Anonymousreply 237January 1, 2023 12:41 AM

Maria Friedman just have an interview for The NY Times where she said she felt this was “my time” and she was going to really re-invest in her career.

If Old Friends is indicative of her current talent and technique, I think she’s going to be sorely disappointed in the results

by Anonymousreply 238January 1, 2023 12:49 AM

That’s interesting, R236. I’ve always heard that Groff is a sweetheart. Maybe his personality changes when he’s around Lea?

by Anonymousreply 239January 1, 2023 12:57 AM

From my experiences, I would say that that is a reasonable assumption, r239. Some people can tend to feel that they have been given permission to behave badly when others behave badly (think mean girls). Others remain true to their nature.

Those people are maybe better grounded, less seeking of approval.

by Anonymousreply 240January 1, 2023 1:21 AM

Regarding the video at R224: It only goes to show, despite producers constantly trying to bring West End productions over here, the talent does not translate. The only person on that stage to generate any thrill was Bernadette -- and maybe Helena B.C. for recognition. The other old ladies are all just a wash. But that British audience sure went nuts for them.

The "great" Maria Friedman? Corny snoozefest.

by Anonymousreply 241January 1, 2023 1:33 AM

Who was the old dame with the high kicks?

by Anonymousreply 242January 1, 2023 1:52 AM

Janie Dee did a great job with “The Boy From…”

by Anonymousreply 243January 1, 2023 2:18 AM

by Anonymousreply 244January 1, 2023 2:19 AM

[quote]Maria Friedman just have an interview for The NY Times where she said she felt this was “my time” and she was going to really re-invest in her career.

Yeah, she definitely came across as very full of herself in that interview, and she seems to be feeding into the narrative that her genius direction has "saved" MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG, when the reality is that the show is not very well directed, and the current production is a huge hit mostly because of timing and because of the leads. Also because it's playing in a theater with only about one-sixth the seating capacity of a mid-size Broadway theater.

by Anonymousreply 245January 1, 2023 2:26 AM

r242 Arlene Phillips

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246January 1, 2023 2:32 AM

Ugh, no, brain fart, that was Bonnie Langford

by Anonymousreply 247January 1, 2023 2:35 AM

Just saw the new movie version of Matilda, the Bway musical (on Netflix). It’s excellent! One of the best movie musicals I’ve seen and way better than the stage version.

The stage version was overly long and the kids got annoying. Much better on film.

by Anonymousreply 248January 1, 2023 3:15 AM

Clips of the Sondheim celebration are popping up on YouTube. I hope someone is kind enough to post the entire thing. I know. I'm a greedy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 249January 1, 2023 4:01 AM

r249

I've seen broadway baby and not a day... are there others?

by Anonymousreply 250January 1, 2023 4:02 AM

Here's Dench's Clowns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251January 1, 2023 4:31 AM

R249, assuming you're not in the UK, all you need to do is download the free Hola.org extension for Chrome (it's a free VPN extension for your browser) which 'tricks' websites into thinking your connection is originating elsewhere. You select the UK as your location, register for a BBC.com account (you'll just need an email address and use a UK postal code), then you can use the BBC iPlayer on BBC.com and you can watch the whole thing (plus anything else that's available to watch on BBC.com)

That said, the show is terrible. I'm glad Sondheim isn't here to see it.

by Anonymousreply 252January 1, 2023 5:05 AM

That’s one of the loveliest filmed Send in the Clowns I’ve seen. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 253January 1, 2023 10:29 AM

Amusing how the Americans here are so precious about Sondheim and the sanctity of American performers on Broadway. I’m reminded of Homer Simpson’s USA! USA! USA!

by Anonymousreply 254January 1, 2023 11:21 AM

[quote]The rest of the world quietly smirking

Quietly? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 255January 1, 2023 11:25 AM

R254 - I can't speak for others, but that's certainly not behind my views on the topic. I've had the good fortune to visit London many times over the past 30 years and seen some fine British productions of American musicals, but every British production of a Sondheim work I saw was really lacking. Maybe it's partly that, even when not set in contemporary (at the time) New York, there is this knowing Manhattan'esque wryness to a lot of his work that British musical theatre actors don't seem to have in their wheelhouse. Maybe it's something more intangible than that, but, more often than not, whether a concert or a full production, I've watched British musical theatre actors either indicate with literal gesturing, overact or just not connect with the meaning and intent of the music and lyrics in the way that their American counterparts do.

by Anonymousreply 256January 1, 2023 11:40 AM

[quote]The show is terrible. I'm glad Sondheim isn't here to see it.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm not at all surprised to hear that, considering who conceived and produced it.

by Anonymousreply 257January 1, 2023 1:35 PM

Well Maria Friedman was involved and she is to blame for most travesties.

by Anonymousreply 258January 1, 2023 1:55 PM

Are there any clips of Patti LuPone's full appearance on Andy and Anderson's AA-Presents CNN's New Year's Eve? Apparently she dropped the F-bomb live on air and had some other fun moments.

by Anonymousreply 259January 1, 2023 1:56 PM

Who advises Bernadette on her clothing? She dresses like a 30-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 260January 1, 2023 2:02 PM

R260, me!!

by Anonymousreply 261January 1, 2023 2:08 PM

r256 really just proving r254's point. 'Only New Yorkers are smart enough to really get Sondheim'.

by Anonymousreply 262January 1, 2023 2:21 PM

from BBW Getting married today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263January 1, 2023 2:41 PM

Losing my mind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264January 1, 2023 2:42 PM

Children will listen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265January 1, 2023 2:42 PM

send in the clowns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266January 1, 2023 2:43 PM

being alive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267January 1, 2023 2:43 PM

Uh, we were all well aware of Sondheim's achievements and songs....didn't know we needed a My Little Baby's Fisher-Price Overview of Sondheim's Oeuvre.

by Anonymousreply 268January 1, 2023 3:00 PM

"Being Alive" is a weird and terrible choice of song to do as a group number. Again, not surprised, as this not-so-brilliant idea was probably "conceived" by CM.

by Anonymousreply 269January 1, 2023 3:17 PM

Bernadette did a wonderful job croaking through her songs.

by Anonymousreply 270January 1, 2023 3:21 PM

R256=What most British productions of Sondheim shows don't fully capture is the cynicism. They get the quips and the humor, but never the cynicism.

by Anonymousreply 271January 1, 2023 3:25 PM

[quote] Just saw the new movie version of Matilda, the Bway musical (on Netflix). It’s excellent! One of the best movie musicals I’ve seen and way better than the stage version. The stage version was overly long and the kids got annoying. Much better on film.

There's a thread on it, but it never got much traction. I guess no one's interested. I sort of enjoyed it, but it was awfully "busy," for lack of a better word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272January 1, 2023 3:48 PM

r271 The British being so well known for their optimism

by Anonymousreply 273January 1, 2023 4:06 PM

It really is odd to me that Mackintosh and Sondheim were friends at all, given Mackintosh has the completely opposite views on musical theatre as Sondheim. Was he just that grateful for Side by Side?

by Anonymousreply 274January 1, 2023 4:09 PM

Patti on NYE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275January 1, 2023 4:14 PM

Thanks, R275. And, I here's the first part!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 1, 2023 5:06 PM

Sondheim is quintessentially NY, and his shows always feel like NY, even though several aren’t set there. What the Brits don’t get is NY, and they never will. You could see it in the Angels In America revival, a NY show if ever there was one. NY is practically a character. Not a single actor had a damned clue what a NY’er is. They just don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 277January 1, 2023 5:31 PM

Anachronistic isn't the term for this, but I'm sure someone can tell me what it is. Maybe it's just because Len Cariou and George Hearn were EVERYone's introduction to Sweeney, but their vocal performances (not their glorious singing, but their spoken dialogue in the book scenes) never felt out of place to me in Sweeney Todd despite the fact that neither of them was attempting a British accent. In fact, I find it jarring when I hear a Sweeney speak with a distinct British accent.

The fact is Jonny Depp's cockney from the film or Michael Ball's accent from the more recent UK revival are probably closer to what a London barber who'd been shipped to Australia would sound like. But, for some reason, the booming, stentorian (but American) sound of Cariou and Hearn feels right for Sweeney.

Of course, by contrast, a Mrs. Lovett without a cockney accent would seem completely wrong.

Anyone else feel this way or am I macadamia?

One thing that I have to admit is almost

by Anonymousreply 278January 1, 2023 5:44 PM

[quote]One thing I have to admit is almost

Sorry ignore my last sentence above. A copy + paste issue from another post.

by Anonymousreply 279January 1, 2023 5:46 PM

r277 I guess that explains all those wildly successful Sondheim shows and revivals on Broadway

by Anonymousreply 280January 1, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote]It really is odd to me that Mackintosh and Sondheim were friends at all, given Mackintosh has the completely opposite views on musical theatre as Sondheim. Was he just that grateful for Side by Side?

I've had similar thoughts, but I guess the bottom line was that Sondheim was ALWAYS grateful for new productions of his shows, and in his mind, that seemed to trump everything else. This was true even in a case like the London FOLLIES, where he agreed to write several new songs and cut some old ones, in addition to changing the ending -- all of which was done much to the show's detriment, in order to confirm with Mackintosh's stupid concept of what the show should be.

by Anonymousreply 281January 1, 2023 5:51 PM

Were Sondheim and Mackintosh FBs? That would explain alot

by Anonymousreply 282January 1, 2023 6:03 PM

r281 But even then, it's just Side by Side and Follies. It's not like Mackintosh was bankrolling a series of revivals or anything. Maybe he just really wanted a London theatre named after him, because god Cameron held that one over his head for absolutely ages. We were meant to have the Sondheim Studio between the Gielgud and Queen's, then it was going to be the Ambassador's, and then finally the Queen's.

by Anonymousreply 283January 1, 2023 6:06 PM

R278, I understand your feelings, but yes, I would guess the main reason why you feel that way is because, when you first experienced SWEENEY in the performances of Cariou and Hearn, it was without a Brit accent, so you got used to hearing it that way. FWIW, Sondheim said in an interview that wasn't really important for Sweeney to have a particular accent because "the accents in the show have to do with the class system, and in a sense, Sweeney is classless, here's merely a victim of the class system," whereas Mrs. L. "is a member of the class system." (I don't agree with this, but it's what he said.)

by Anonymousreply 284January 1, 2023 6:07 PM

[quote]"the accents in the show have to do with the class system, and in a sense, Sweeney is classless, here's merely a victim of the class system,"

He could bullshit when he needed to, couldn't he?

by Anonymousreply 285January 1, 2023 6:09 PM

[quote]But even then, it's just Side by Side and Follies. It's not like Mackintosh was bankrolling a series of revivals or anything.

Nevertheless, Mackintosh was of course an incredibly powerful man of the theater, so above and beyond Sondheim's loyalty and gratitude to him for producing that (silly) revue and that (misguided) FOLLIES, one can certainly understand why SS would want to stay on the man's good side, partly in hopes of more productions in future.

by Anonymousreply 286January 1, 2023 6:11 PM

O/T. but I looked up who played Mag Wildwood in the movie. Dorothy Whitney...two IMDB entries and she died in '77 at 44 in Reno of acute alcoholism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287January 1, 2023 6:12 PM

[quote]He could bullshit when he needed to, couldn't he?

Yes, indeed. Of course, Sondheim said lots of brilliant things, but sometimes I think he just said whatever came into his head without thinking it through, perhaps forgetting that some people would take every word he utters as an infallible statement from God.

by Anonymousreply 288January 1, 2023 6:13 PM

r286 No, I get that, but it's one thing to stay on his good side, but quite another to be as good friends as they seemed to be. He even agreed to be interviewed for that hagiography Cameron made for himself.

Also, just did occur to me - Mackintosh funded the chair at Oxford that let Steve cosplay as an Oxford don for a while.

by Anonymousreply 289January 1, 2023 6:16 PM

So that's one more answer to your own question, R289 :-)

by Anonymousreply 290January 1, 2023 6:19 PM

The Tonight Quintet with musical theatre kids who just raided The Gap made me think of Martin's "especially gangs that dance!" from Frasier

by Anonymousreply 291January 1, 2023 6:45 PM

Sad...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 1, 2023 7:04 PM

I think both Sondheim and Mackintosh would have found each other far too old to be FBs.

by Anonymousreply 293January 1, 2023 7:13 PM

Another thing about Cameron and Steve, you have to remember that Cameron, when he was quite young and first met Steve, was quite dishy.

by Anonymousreply 294January 1, 2023 7:14 PM

[quote]Cameron, when he was quite young and first met Steve, was quite dishy.

Hmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 1, 2023 7:23 PM

Well, not in THAT photo, R295 :-)

by Anonymousreply 296January 1, 2023 7:27 PM

Who is the young guy with the big man bun in the Sondheim tribute?

by Anonymousreply 297January 1, 2023 7:44 PM

[quote]Who is the young guy with the big man bun in the Sondheim tribute?

Zombie Julie Wilson

by Anonymousreply 298January 1, 2023 7:45 PM

r297 Bradley Jaden. Current Javert in the London Les Mis.

by Anonymousreply 299January 1, 2023 7:46 PM

Actually, no, not current, he left in September. This is their current Valjean though. The old person make up they put on the Valjean for the last part of the second act looked ridiculous back when they were actually casting older actors, I can't imagine how clownish it looks now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300January 1, 2023 7:52 PM

Whenever any group is devoid of new ideas, they always stage on a "Sondheim tribute," with the same songs, then pat themselves on the back for being so creative.

by Anonymousreply 301January 1, 2023 8:01 PM

I think Broadway is ready for a revival of Smokey Joe’s Café. A jukebox musical, yes, but well-staged and appealing to the international tourist trade.

by Anonymousreply 302January 1, 2023 8:05 PM

Well, I for one enjoyed watching the BBC Sondheim tribute. Very emotional by the end, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 303January 1, 2023 8:17 PM

[Quote] Well, I for one enjoyed

Get the fuck out

by Anonymousreply 304January 1, 2023 8:19 PM

Has Steve’s widower participated in any of these postmortem tributes?

by Anonymousreply 305January 1, 2023 8:20 PM

R302 didn't the one at Stage42 Little Shubert a few years back lose its money? There was controversy around a review criticizing the costuming of Umphress.

by Anonymousreply 306January 1, 2023 9:11 PM

Mackintosh was a hottie when younger.

by Anonymousreply 307January 1, 2023 9:15 PM

I loved Smokey Joes Cafe! The voices were incredible and the audience left the show dancing

by Anonymousreply 308January 1, 2023 9:16 PM

I heard that "Someone in a Tree"and "With So Little to Be Sure Of" were the only song performed at the SS Memorial. Can anyone confirm?

by Anonymousreply 309January 1, 2023 9:50 PM

How does one watch the Sondheim Old Friends show if I don’t live in England? I’ve read people say links have popped up on the sites, but what sites? LOL

by Anonymousreply 310January 1, 2023 9:53 PM

R310 VPN or R252 advice

by Anonymousreply 311January 1, 2023 9:56 PM

r310 Who knows how long it'll last, and the audio isn't great, but there's this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312January 1, 2023 10:17 PM

Why doesn’t Bernadette’s face look like Neanderthal man?

by Anonymousreply 313January 1, 2023 10:19 PM

R313 Bernadette’s face went from soft and dewy to hard and shiny.

by Anonymousreply 314January 1, 2023 10:22 PM

[quote] There was controversy around a review criticizing the costuming of Umphress.

Did the Big Apple Circus sue for theft of their tent?

by Anonymousreply 315January 1, 2023 10:24 PM

R312. Thank you! The audio is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 316January 1, 2023 10:54 PM

Maria Friedman really is as bad as everyone said.

by Anonymousreply 317January 1, 2023 11:01 PM

It's like she based her entire performance around the "..and always arrives overdone" joke in A Little Priest

by Anonymousreply 318January 1, 2023 11:24 PM

Let’s talk set design . Why does everything look the same? Is it because producers have given the money only the lighting designers rather than making actual scenery? When’s the last time a show’s desig had actual wot, expensive or not

can you see images from Six, K-pop, & Juliet, and they all look the same. More serious shows have some wooden slats.

by Anonymousreply 319January 1, 2023 11:29 PM

Actual wit that is

by Anonymousreply 320January 1, 2023 11:29 PM

I remember really liking the sets in 'War Paint' but can't think of anything memorable since then.

by Anonymousreply 321January 1, 2023 11:30 PM

r318 - I think Brits just like their musical theatre performed broadly and to the back row of the balcony (of a theatre in another county.) How else to explain the revered place Imelda holds there now, too?

Maybe it's all that pantomime and Carry On films and Mrs. Brown style sitcoms. It is a bit puzzling given how brilliant they are at plays/drama (classical and contemporary.)

Maybe some things you have to have in your bones.

by Anonymousreply 322January 1, 2023 11:35 PM

That said, have to admit, unsubtle Sondheim performances are not limited to Brits. Here is a recent Tony Award winning actress making an absolute mess of the Witch's big Act II moment. It's shockingly amateurish -- was she even directed or did the stage manager just rehearse one weekend with her? It actually makes me miss Patina Miller's imperfect Witch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 1, 2023 11:41 PM

Yikes, r323. Not the role for her.

by Anonymousreply 324January 1, 2023 11:46 PM

I have tickets to see Into the Woods next week. I pray to God she is better live…that was not good

by Anonymousreply 325January 1, 2023 11:57 PM

[r312] You are amazing! Thank you!!

by Anonymousreply 326January 1, 2023 11:57 PM

That shit wouldn’t have happened if SS were still alive.

by Anonymousreply 327January 2, 2023 12:16 AM

r322 Nah, I'm British and thought it was awful, likewise Mrs Brown's Boys. Perhaps I'm in a minority.

Though maybe there is something in the idea that performers don't treat musical theatre as seriously as plays, and so think they can get away with that kind of performance. And given how much of the West End audience is from overseas, maybe they can.

by Anonymousreply 328January 2, 2023 12:19 AM

Little Red on the ITW revival cast recording is dreadful. Deadpan Danielle Ferland was so very good. This one goes in the opposite direction and pounces on everything. Sara B is divine.

by Anonymousreply 329January 2, 2023 12:20 AM

There is plenty of variety and wit in Broadway set design, often better than the writing in the shows. Hadestown, Beetlejuice, Groundhog Day, Oklahoma!, Come From Away - these shows look nothing like each other.

by Anonymousreply 330January 2, 2023 12:22 AM

I mostly disagree, r330.

Those sets you mention certainly show great variety and some interesting design but there's simply no wit of the kind Broadway used to see by designers like Tony Walton (Chicago, Pippin, Forum, She Loves Me), Robin Wagner (On the 20th Century, 42nd St, Promises, Promises), Oliver Smith (Camelot, Dolly, WSS), Robert Randolph (How to Succeed), William and Jean Eckart (Mame, Pajama Game), Boris Aronson (ALNM, Follies)and others.

And what I mean by wit is a more personal point of view about the material, a genuine affection and warmth for the subject matter. Everything today is very cold and cynical and mostly very over-designed.

by Anonymousreply 331January 2, 2023 12:47 AM

r312 -- Thanks--that was very enjoyable. MARY! me all you want, but I teared up a few times. So many nice surprises. I wish they'd identified all of the performers individually--I was familiar with a lot of them from British TV, but there were also many I didn't know. It was great to see vets like Sian Phillips, Dame Judi, Bernadette, Petula, Julia, and Imelda. I had no idea Haydn Gwynne could sing, but she was great in both of her big numbers. And I never expected to see Damien Lewis singing either.

Who was the guy who did "Buddy's Blues?" I'd never seen it performed like that, with Buddy doing the female voices as well. And I'd also never seen "Leave You" performed by a man with no gender change in the lyrics.

The worst part of the whole show was Julian Ovenden's horrendous haircut.

by Anonymousreply 332January 2, 2023 12:50 AM

r332 Here's a list of who sang what. That was Gary Wilmot who sang Buddy's Blues

Seems odd to me they had Rosalie Craig and Jenna Russell and just treated them as part of the chorus. Guess they aren't amongst Cameron's favourites. Meanwhile little Charlie Stemp had to be found a spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333January 2, 2023 12:58 AM

Also, the segment with the photos made me realise that if they ever, for some reason, made a biopic of Sondheim, Nick Kroll needs to play the pre-beard Steve

by Anonymousreply 334January 2, 2023 1:01 AM

Who is Anna-Jane Casey? She was prominently featured in Not Getting Married, You Could Drive a Person Crazy, You Gotta Have a Gimmick and a couple others.

by Anonymousreply 335January 2, 2023 1:04 AM

r333 Thanks. Gotta love this credit:

[quote]Company – "Company" from Company

by Anonymousreply 336January 2, 2023 1:05 AM

Anna-Jane Casey's haircut was the female equivalent of Julian Ovenden's.

by Anonymousreply 337January 2, 2023 1:07 AM

I thought it was interesting that they used the term "intermission." I thought the Brits always called it the "interval."

by Anonymousreply 338January 2, 2023 1:07 AM

I think Damien Lewis is terrible. Also, Michael Ball's 2 solos were songs written for women characters. He was terrible anyway, can't actually sing.

Bernadette delivered.

Also Judi Dench, and Janie Dee.

Imelda? Meh.

by Anonymousreply 339January 2, 2023 1:14 AM

[quote]Just saw the new movie version of Matilda, the Bway musical (on Netflix). It’s excellent! One of the best movie musicals I’ve seen and way better than the stage version.

I would agree, withe ONE EXCEPTION. I had to turn the English subtitles feature on to finally understand it. Turns out Matilda has great lyrics and a fun book, just a bit heavy in the accents for me.

imho

by Anonymousreply 340January 2, 2023 1:16 AM

The Burn It Down lady is....absolutely NOT burning it up.

by Anonymousreply 341January 2, 2023 1:45 AM

R332, I did not recognize Julian until he began singing.

by Anonymousreply 342January 2, 2023 2:14 AM

What's most admirable about the MATILDA movie is that Warchus was honest about what was sluggish in the show and cut it all from the film -- the brother, the stupid dance competition guy, the gangsters at the end. All very smart cuts (he should go back and cut them from the show too). Also admired how the film was stronger in connecting Matilda to her stories to Ms. Honey and all that....Made much more sense.

by Anonymousreply 343January 2, 2023 2:15 AM

[quote] There is plenty of variety and wit in Broadway set design, often better than the writing in the shows. Hadestown, Beetlejuice, Groundhog Day, Oklahoma!, Come From Away - these shows look nothing like each other.

None of the designs you cite had wit as r331 describes it so well. The two of them that thought they were witty – groundhog and Beetlejuice – were heavy, loud, and lumpy ( not unlike a certain failed Fanny), generally compensating for charm and smarts with just…more.

by Anonymousreply 344January 2, 2023 2:32 AM

Wow, Kalukango is fucking HORRIBLE in that clip. I thought she was awful on the Tony awards, too. She was doing a screamy, low rent Tonya Pinkins and now that I've seen this I know she has zero technique and cannot act for shit. Another wasted Tony thanks to WSYWAT.

by Anonymousreply 345January 2, 2023 4:03 AM

I'm guessing she succeeds with the Witch's rap.

by Anonymousreply 346January 2, 2023 4:08 AM

Only a matter of time before DL's Broadway Klan Grannies make an appearance over Joaquina. Looking at you R345 & R346.

by Anonymousreply 347January 2, 2023 4:50 AM

[quote]I had to turn the English subtitles feature on to finally understand it. Turns out Matilda has great lyrics and a fun book, just a bit heavy in the accents for me.

Thank god for subtitles. I can only imagine how many of those lyrics were missed in the theater.

Loved the film. Luli Mitchell was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 348January 2, 2023 7:42 AM

Janie Dee sounds a lot like Glynis Johns in “A Weekend in the Country.”

I wonder who serviced Julian Ovenden in the dressing room? Maybe that was little Charlie’s reward? He did a bit part and he did a big part?

by Anonymousreply 349January 2, 2023 8:07 AM

Almost all the lyrics for Matilda were impossible to understand when I saw it on Broadway. The movie is indeed great and thank goodness for subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 350January 2, 2023 9:07 AM

r256 rather underlining my point with preening self regard and a crushing case of pretentiousness.

by Anonymousreply 351January 2, 2023 9:30 AM

R335, Anna Jane Casey, among other things probably, was the original Dot in the Menier revival of Sunday and was very good, especially in the 2nd act with Children and Art.

Jenna Russell did the B’way transfer and was also Mary in Friedman’s Merrily which transferred to the West End for a time.

by Anonymousreply 352January 2, 2023 9:54 AM

R277 and The Inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 353January 2, 2023 9:55 AM

Shame on all you non-license fee paying scammers making up fake BBC accounts to access the iPlayer!!

Surely there’s a torrent of this someplace.

by Anonymousreply 354January 2, 2023 9:56 AM

And speaking of Shirley:

Sheridan Smith is doing a West End revival of Shirley Valentine!! She’s not that old!

Crikey, that’ll tour up North for the rest of her natural life.

by Anonymousreply 355January 2, 2023 9:58 AM

Sheridan Smith must have friends in influential places.

by Anonymousreply 356January 2, 2023 10:54 AM

[Quote] Only a matter of time before DL's Broadway Klan Grannies make an appearance over Joaquina. Looking at you [R345] & [R346].

1: do you think that performance is good?

2: if you can cite their posts, didn’t they already the appearance you foretell?

by Anonymousreply 357January 2, 2023 1:14 PM

Sheridan Smith has moved on to older character roles. I just saw her in a TV thing where she played the mum of a murdered young man in his 20s. So she’s fine for Shirley Valentine.

by Anonymousreply 358January 2, 2023 1:23 PM

Janie Dee might have sounded like Glynis Johns in "A Weekend in the Country" but she sang the role of The Countess.

by Anonymousreply 359January 2, 2023 1:28 PM

No songs from Pacific Overtures in the concert. What, they couldn’t have flown over Lea Salonga to sing “There Is No Other Way”?

by Anonymousreply 360January 2, 2023 1:57 PM

I’ll tell ya what pisses me off! It’s been two days into 2023 and NOT one of you have mentioned my brilliant Kurstirca movie I was in. AND not a word about my good friend Marlon Brando!

by Anonymousreply 361January 2, 2023 2:00 PM

r360

no someone in a tree? that's weird

by Anonymousreply 362January 2, 2023 2:17 PM

It was weird that there was nothing included from either Pacific Overtures or Assassins or Bounce (was that one ever done in the UK?).

by Anonymousreply 363January 2, 2023 2:22 PM

The Burn It Down singer affirms that the role of The Witch, which was once a role that could be played with a certain charm and humor, has now become an excuse for over-dramatic caterwauling and undisciplined histrionics. Can't believe that SS would have approved.

by Anonymousreply 364January 2, 2023 2:49 PM

[quote]It was weird that there was nothing included from either Pacific Overtures or Assassins or Bounce (was that one ever done in the UK?).

When have you ever heard any of the million Sondheim tributes which didn't exclusively feature the exact same songs?

by Anonymousreply 365January 2, 2023 2:55 PM

R364 and the audiences eat it up which is even sadder.

by Anonymousreply 366January 2, 2023 3:27 PM

Review of "Old Friends."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367January 2, 2023 4:09 PM

Twats On Stage

by Anonymousreply 368January 2, 2023 4:17 PM

The Menier Chocolate Factory did a production of Bounce several years ago with David Bedelia. I saw it and it was better than any version I saw in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 369January 2, 2023 4:48 PM

There’s a reason Bounce never went anywhere. Leave it dead and buried

by Anonymousreply 370January 2, 2023 4:53 PM

[quote]Leave it dead and buried

With a name like...Bounce?

by Anonymousreply 371January 2, 2023 5:28 PM

[quote]The Menier Chocolate Factory did a production of Bounce several years ago with David Bedelia. I saw it and it was better than any version I saw in NYC.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

by Anonymousreply 372January 2, 2023 5:48 PM

Did anyone ever see Urban Cowboy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373January 2, 2023 5:59 PM

I did!

by Anonymousreply 374January 2, 2023 6:05 PM

[quote] Janie Dee might have sounded like Glynis Johns in "A Weekend in the Country" but she sang the role of The Countess.

Yes, I’m aware of that. I was commenting on what she sounded like, and she sounded like Glynis Johns, not Patricia Elliot. It was almost like she was giving a taste of what Johns might’ve sounded like had she played Charlotte instead of Desiree.

by Anonymousreply 375January 2, 2023 7:36 PM

Janie Dee was Phyllis in the NT’s Follies and was FANTASTIC.

by Anonymousreply 376January 2, 2023 7:46 PM

When Menier did Bounce it was called Road Show. David Bedella was great.

by Anonymousreply 377January 2, 2023 7:48 PM

I saw Road Show in NYC. It’s like Sondheim took every one of his cliches, mixed them up and a bag, and let it explode all over the stage

by Anonymousreply 378January 2, 2023 8:10 PM

As I remember, that John Doyle-directed Public Theatre version of Road Show or Bounce or whatever it was called then was riddled with all the actors in some awful white costumes with road maps drawn all over them.

But it was the first time I ever saw Clayborne Elder, so there was that.

by Anonymousreply 379January 2, 2023 8:38 PM

Wasn’t Bounce the name of a static remover product?

by Anonymousreply 380January 2, 2023 8:45 PM

Wasn’t Bounce supposed to be Jane Powell’s Broadway resurgence?

by Anonymousreply 381January 2, 2023 8:49 PM

I heard the Hal Prince-directed version of BOUNCE was at least somewhat interesting.

I saw ROAD SHOW at the Public, and it cemented my lifelong hatred of just about anything John Doyle touches. He HATES the conventions of musical theater and comedy, so he drains all pizzazz and flair from anything that calls for it. ROAD SHOW is supposed be somewhat like a daffy adventure comedy, a vaudeville, at least originally. Doyle's gross misuse of the chorus was particularly grating.

by Anonymousreply 382January 2, 2023 8:50 PM

r382

I saw it in DC and I remember NOTHING from it except a guy who looks like Gavin Creel would not be with Richard Kind

by Anonymousreply 383January 2, 2023 8:54 PM

Return, r381. It's not like Jane Powell at 75 was going to have a "resurgence".

by Anonymousreply 384January 2, 2023 8:55 PM

Oh crap, Jane Powell flared up again!

by Anonymousreply 385January 2, 2023 8:58 PM

I saw what was the first preview of Urban Cowboy (had tickets for the second preview but the first was cancelled).

I remember VERY little: Matt Cavenaugh's flawless body, Jenn Colella had lots of charm and a bed that malfunctioned and kept spinning around on stage.

by Anonymousreply 386January 2, 2023 9:06 PM

Take your Doan's, r385.

by Anonymousreply 387January 2, 2023 9:35 PM

Agreed, R382. Doyle's approach can work well for certain shows like THE COLOR PURPLE and A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE, but not others, including ROAD SHOW.

by Anonymousreply 388January 2, 2023 10:00 PM

Bounce / Wise Guys / Gold / Road Show always seemed to have failed. But, I do think this was a lovely late Sondheim song. No doubt buoyed by Tunick's orchestration.

As an admitted mama's boy, this one always touched me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389January 2, 2023 11:14 PM

Dang, Robert Burr was HAWT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390January 3, 2023 1:48 AM

Matt Cavenaugh has left the business.

by Anonymousreply 391January 3, 2023 2:31 AM

Because of his WSS experience ?

by Anonymousreply 392January 3, 2023 3:00 AM

R392, More precisely, his Arthur Laurents experience.

by Anonymousreply 393January 3, 2023 3:10 AM

I too have heard that Matt C. left the business because of his experience with Arthur Laurents, but I would hope he wouldn't have given up his entire career if it was only that Arthur was leching after him and maybe even harassed him sexually. My guess is that MC came to realize his own complicity in the situation, that he maybe flirted with AL and encouraged his attentions in order to get a part that he was all wrong for. Also, MC may have finally realized that his acting was quite poor and his future career would be limited without that talent, especially as he got older and his looks began to fade.

by Anonymousreply 394January 3, 2023 3:39 AM

[quote] Dang, Robert Burr was HAWT.

Robert Burr was also Nancy Dussault’s leading man in the iconic DL fave Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 395January 3, 2023 4:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396January 3, 2023 8:42 AM

FUN FACT: Jenny Powers is the granddaughter of Dave Powers, JFK’s right hand man and “pimp” for many years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397January 3, 2023 8:53 AM

That’s a lot of supposition R394. You don’t know anything about what motivated his decision, though I’m sure most would imagine that some of it would be the miserable experience of working with that creep Laurents.

by Anonymousreply 398January 3, 2023 11:47 AM

Alright queens, I’m flying into NY today for a quick trip.

Patti LuPone at 54 below tonight. I hope she sings Evita (I guess she rarely does for this show)

Into the Woods tomorrow. I hope the Witch is better in person than she was in the Broadwayworld clip.

I’m also hoping to get a cancellation ticket to Merrily We Roll along. Of the three, me getting a cancellation ticket seems as likely as Faye Dunaway being satisfied at the reaction to the Kurstirica movie

by Anonymousreply 399January 3, 2023 11:54 AM

R399, A hat is passed among the audience with 43 song titles in it, so there’s a 1 in 43 chance you’ll hear “Evita”.

by Anonymousreply 400January 3, 2023 12:45 PM

R399, be careful, don't take the subway, carry mace or a gun, don't get stabbed, be wary of crowds, and hope that your performances are not interrupted by crazed audience members. Have fun.

by Anonymousreply 401January 3, 2023 1:26 PM

These wusses who are terrified of big cities are the same morons who accused us of living in fear because we wore masks, aren’t they?

by Anonymousreply 402January 3, 2023 1:29 PM

[quote]R398, there's a difference between a supposition and a guess. I clearly stated that I was guessing at why MC left the business, not supposing. (And I was aware that he and his wife have opened that theater, so he hasn't entirely left the business, he just stopped doing the Broadway thing.)

by Anonymousreply 403January 3, 2023 2:07 PM

So nice to see Grammy winner Oak working again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404January 3, 2023 2:10 PM

[quote] So nice to see Grammy winner Oak working again.

It is?

by Anonymousreply 405January 3, 2023 2:25 PM

That's "Poison Oak," thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 406January 3, 2023 2:26 PM

Nobody wants to see that fucking shitshow with Chastain. They may as well put Porky and Ariel Sta'chel in it.

by Anonymousreply 407January 3, 2023 2:29 PM

Tony Award winning writer/director Frank Galati has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408January 3, 2023 2:43 PM

Matt Cavenaugh seemed to play Tony in WSS as a gay man. Was that Laurents' idea?

by Anonymousreply 409January 3, 2023 2:45 PM

R396, wow, Cavanaugh looks positively middle-aged now.

by Anonymousreply 410January 3, 2023 2:46 PM

[quote]wow, Cavanaugh looks positively middle-aged now.

Arkansas will do that to you.

by Anonymousreply 411January 3, 2023 2:58 PM

Matt C must not have had the endowment to back up his looks....or properly work the casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 412January 3, 2023 3:02 PM

Staying a Bway actor is a tough career. Maybe Matt and his wife just wanted to leave NYC and try their luck in a smaller town. It's totally understandable actually.

by Anonymousreply 413January 3, 2023 3:08 PM

But, r413....,Arkansas???

by Anonymousreply 414January 3, 2023 3:10 PM

Isn't that where either Matt or his wife is originally from?

by Anonymousreply 415January 3, 2023 3:19 PM

R415 yes, Matt is from there.

I LOL'd - found this when I searched for his birthplace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416January 3, 2023 3:26 PM

[quote]Staying a Bway actor is a tough career. Maybe Matt and his wife just wanted to leave NYC and try their luck in a smaller town. It's totally understandable actually.

Absolutely true, but Matt was very young to leave Broadway when he did, especially since his career was going fairly well until WSS. That's probably why some of us are speculating that he left partly because of that very bad experience.

by Anonymousreply 417January 3, 2023 3:28 PM

Having known Frank Galati as his student, as a director, and as a friend at Northwestern, I'm crushed by the news of his death. He directed my doctoral dissertation and was inspirational in so many other ways. Truly a class act and one of the most generous and brilliant of mentors. RIP, Frank. You changed lives.

by Anonymousreply 418January 3, 2023 3:37 PM

[quote]Alright queens, I’m flying into NY today for a quick trip.

Remember -- your machete needs to go into your checked baggage.

by Anonymousreply 419January 3, 2023 3:46 PM

[quote]Alright queens, I’m flying into NY today for a quick trip.

May I have your stuff? When's your funeral?

by Anonymousreply 420January 3, 2023 4:09 PM

Frank Galati seems to have been a uniformly liked/loved man and professional. May he rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 421January 3, 2023 4:15 PM

R421, Will there be any grooming/molestation stories surfacing?

by Anonymousreply 422January 3, 2023 4:17 PM

[quote]Frank Galati seems to have been a uniformly liked/loved man and professional

Does that make me the Anti-Galati?

by Anonymousreply 423January 3, 2023 4:18 PM

And you still don’t know anything R403, but you still manage to spew a lot of inane claptrap.

by Anonymousreply 424January 3, 2023 4:22 PM

Chicago Tribune's Chris Jones obit of Galati. (part one)

Frank Galati, a pivotal figure over five decades in Chicago theater, a Tony Award-winning Broadway director, a beloved longtime teacher at Northwestern University, an ensemble member at both the Steppenwolf and Goodman Theatres and a pioneer in the adaptation of novels and other narrative sources into exciting drama, died Monday night at 79 years old.

His death was announced by his husband Peter Amster.

Galati had retired to Florida with Amster, but he had hardly paused a career that argued he was perhaps the most influential Chicago theater artist the city has ever seen. And, as it was widely noted Tuesday, perhaps the most generous of spirit.

There was an Academy Award nomination (shared with Lawrence Kasdan) for a 1989 screenplay for “The Accidental Tourist.” Galati’s adaptation of John Steinbeck’s “The Grapes of Wrath” — featuring actors Gary Sinise, Terry Kinney and many others — originated at Steppenwolf in 1988 and went on to Broadway. It won Galati a Tony Award in 1990, and arguably did more that any other single production to tell the world about the explosive talents in the Chicago theater of the era. “An epic achievement,” New York Times critic Frank Rich wrote at the time.

Galati directed “Ragtime” on Broadway in 1998 — his original production of Terrence McNally’s adaptation of E.L. Doctorow’s multifaceted novel about economic progress and social struggle became the definitive internationally known translation of the Chicago tradition of story theater.

Taken as a whole, the Galati oeuvre had two main strands. One was an emotional, optimistic, sweeping, desperately inclusive romanticism. The other was a quirky, contrarian obsession with form, a preoccupation that led him to experiment with writers such as Gertrude Stein and even anonymous medieval scribes throughout his creative life.

His long list of hugely successful Chicago productions includes “As I Lay Dying” in 1995, “After the Quake” in 2005, Doctorow’s “The March” in 2012, “The Herd” in 2015, as well as the woefully underestimated world premiere of John Kander and Fred Ebb’s “The Visit” at the Goodman in 2001. Galati’s 1987 production of Wallace Shawn’s terrifying “Aunt Dan and Lemon” matched the actress Molly Regan with a young actress, then named Martha Lavey Greene, who played her meek and malleable niece. Lavey, another Galati mentee, would become Steppenwolf’s artistic director.

He also cowrote “Boss,” a musical satire about Richard J. Daley based on the book by the late Tribune columnist Mike Royko, and directed both “Seussical the Musical” and “The Pirate Queen” on Broadway (neither were hits). His well-received final show, produced at the Asolo Repertory Theatre in Sarasota, Florida, was a new musical, “Knoxville,” penned by his friends and longtime collaborators Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty, the team behind “Ragtime.”

In 2009, the director Tina Landau aptly cast Galati as Prospero in “The Tempest,” Steppenwolf’s first Shakespeare production.

But beyond these individual productions, which numbered among the best Chicago has produced before or since, Galati’s work on so-called story theater at Northwestern (he was himself a graduate) further blossomed in the work of his former students — most notably the directors Daniel Fish, Eric Rosen, Mary Zimmerman and the artists of the Lookingglass Theatre, who met and formed their ensemble at that Evanston university.

“He was a huge influence,” Fish told the Tribune recently. “I remember in one class he gave everybody the first page of a short story and said, “stage it and you can’t cut a word.” But he didn’t say how the words had to be represented, so all of your assumptions were challenged. That was incredibly freeing for me.” Over the years, Zimmerman has said often that so many of Chicago’s most innovative theater artists had emerged from “Frank Galati’s overcoat.”

by Anonymousreply 425January 3, 2023 4:22 PM

(part two)

Galati was born in 1943 in Highland Park, the son of a trainer of show dogs. He graduated from Glenbrook High School in Northbrook in 1961 and spent a year at Western Illinois before transferring to Northwestern, where he studied with the chamber theater pioneer Robert Breen and his degrees included a Ph.D. in Speech. He joined the university’s faculty in 1972.

He became an ensemble member of Steppenwolf Theatre in 1985 and an associate director at the Goodman in 1986. In essence, Galati expanded what material was available for the American theater by coming up with ways to adapt complex novels in dramatic form, bringing to life characters and dialogue that hitherto has existed only on the pages of a book.

In 2015, he told the Tribune of his pleasure in returning to Chicago to direct “East of Eden” at Steppenwolf. “If ‘The Grapes of Wrath’ is epic then ‘East of Eden’ is mythic,” he said, describing how much “East of Eden” reminded him of Eugene O’Neill. “The nature of ‘East of Eden’ is very tied up in Steinbeck’s personal quest. He is writing about his own moral center, his center of gravity, his love of family. Half of the characters in the book are actual friends and family members of the Steinbecks. The Biblical template, obviously, is much more present in ‘East of Eden.’ It’s a version of the Cain and Abel story, the story of the one son who is loved above the other son who longs all the more for his father’s affection.”

Such was Galati’s ability to dig deep into the myths that inform human consciousness and bring them to life on a Chicago stage. Even at a relatively young age, he resembled Santa Claus.

by Anonymousreply 426January 3, 2023 4:23 PM

“His death was announced by his husband Peter Amster.”

Fag?

by Anonymousreply 427January 3, 2023 4:30 PM

Here's the couple in happier times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428January 3, 2023 4:58 PM

[quote] These wusses who are terrified of big cities are the same morons who accused us of living in fear because we wore masks, aren’t they?

They're the same, but they're not terrified of big cities, they just like lambasting them because they're elite dens of libs. They love citing the public safety failures. Helps their law & order pitch.

by Anonymousreply 429January 3, 2023 5:09 PM

I adored Frank Galati. As a super young gayling, I assisted him during the shooting of The Grapes of Wrath for American Playhouse and he was as wonderful and generous and kind as everyone has said. I was just starting college and he looked at my writing work and gave notes (without being asked) and really encouraged me. I'm sorry I was so dopey and naive back then to not try and stay in touch with him and learn a little more. I thought his production of The Glass Menagerie with Julie Harris and Calista Flockhart was one of the best (if not the best) I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 430January 3, 2023 5:21 PM

[quote] They may as well put Porky and Ariel Sta'chel in it.

What’s wrong with Ariel Sta’chel?

by Anonymousreply 431January 3, 2023 5:47 PM

Ask everyone at the Public.

by Anonymousreply 432January 3, 2023 5:47 PM

This is a long article Galati wrote ten years ago about his remarkable careers, directing and teaching.

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433January 3, 2023 5:54 PM

Does anyone know why Frank Galati did not direct THE VISIT on Broadway after what (I'm assuming) was a successful run in Chicago? I believe Chita Rivera starred in both productions. And wasn't there an earlier version in which Angela Lansbury was involved? I wonder if Frank was involved in that one.

by Anonymousreply 434January 3, 2023 6:07 PM

As for Matt Cavenaugh, and this is only my guess, perhaps he felt after creating roles in a couple of important new Broadway musicals (Grey Gardens and A Catered Affair), as well as playing Tony in a major Broadway revival of WSS, and not feeling very satisfied, he realized Broadway and New York just weren't for him. Sometimes it takes major accomplishments to make someone realize that kind of success will not bring them happiness. I've known a few other successful people on Broadway like that.

Be careful what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 435January 3, 2023 6:16 PM

Matt was one of those performers that screamed Gay Gayerson of Gaysville, Gaysylvania and it's surprising to see him married to a woman, with a child.

His personal story - what made him leave the industry - is more compelling than his career achievements. (Sounds rude, don't mean it to be, but it is.)

by Anonymousreply 436January 3, 2023 6:31 PM

[quote]Does anyone know why Frank Galati did not direct THE VISIT on Broadway after what (I'm assuming) was a successful run in Chicago? I believe Chita Rivera starred in both productions. And wasn't there an earlier version in which Angela Lansbury was involved? I wonder if Frank was involved in that one.

Galati also directed the version of THE VISIT that was done at the Signature Theatre in the D.C. area, and that production was far better than the Doyle version that was first done at Williamstown and later came to Broadway. My best guess is that the Doyle version was probably less expensive, and that's why he unfortunately got the nod.

Lansbury had been originally slated to create the central role in THE VISIT but that didn't happen. I don't know if Galati was signed on as director at that early date, but I'm thinking not.

by Anonymousreply 437January 3, 2023 6:37 PM

R436, I inadvertently encountered Matt and Jenny’s wedding reception.

I was meeting a friend for lunch at a Boston hotel and saw a sign outside a function room that read Cavenaugh-Powers, so I surreptitiously peeked in and observed the goings on for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 438January 3, 2023 6:39 PM

And......r438?

by Anonymousreply 439January 3, 2023 6:43 PM

Galati did a fine job with Ragtime (the Tony that year went to Taymor) but maybe wasn't exactly meant for Broadway. His great work in Chicago was largely experimental and based on works by the likes of Gertrude Stein and Murakami. At Northwestern the same thing. The Broadway Grapes of Wrath (a Steppenwolf production) was staging prose, which was also his forte. His Suessical was a bust. Don't know what happened with The Visit, but perhaps it was felt that it wouldn't be a good fit for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 440January 3, 2023 6:43 PM

R418 If you're who I think you are, I remember Frank's production of The Dick Gibson Show in the tiny, forlorn auditorium at Kendall College (the Interpretation Department at the time didn't even have its own on-campus performance space!) and it was a revelation--I think I saw at least two of the performances, maybe all three. What Frank was able to achieve in that space with gifted primarily undergraduate students (and some fine grad students) was a full lesson in directing and creativity in one evening. I was friends with one of the undergrads who was in the show--he said Frank would begin rehearsals by saying something like, "Ladies and gentlemen--the stage is yours." I hope his "Knoxville" has a future--its poetic language seemed like such a good match for the man who did a legendary performance of Stevens' "Sunday Morning." I did not work with him much and only managed to take one class (by the time I was a grad student, he was teaching the classes I'd had as an undergrad with Robert Breen, whom I found equally extraordinary as teacher-scholar-director-performer), but he was always genial and warm. I remember seeing him play Pastor Manders opposite Lilla Heston's Mrs. Alving in Wallace Bacon's final production of Ibsen's "Ghosts," with Breen as Engstrand--and two undergraduates as Oswald (Allison Burnett) and Regina (Jodie Markell). "Great reckonings in little rooms," indeed.

by Anonymousreply 441January 3, 2023 6:52 PM

Sean Hayes TRANSFORMS

(i.e., get a haircut)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442January 3, 2023 7:01 PM

r431 He was meant to do The Visit at the Public. He started raising issues he had over representation of his character - and even though the creative team agreed to the changes he wanted made, and delayed previews to enable those changes, he still quit after a couple of previews.

He was also meant to be in the Olivia Wilde film Don't Worry Darling, but his scenes were cut. Which he then went on social media and said was due to racism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443January 3, 2023 7:04 PM

So will we ever see another Tom Kitt musical on Broadway. What a string of flops...

by Anonymousreply 444January 3, 2023 7:07 PM

r443, do not confuse THE VISIT with THE VISITOR.

by Anonymousreply 445January 3, 2023 7:16 PM

Pretty impressive considering Lea only played five of the nine performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446January 3, 2023 7:17 PM

It’s interesting that Lea really has pulled off a miracle, turning that mediocre-at-best production into a solid Broadway hit. How does the cast feel? Is everything all right now that they’re in a hit as opposed to an embarrassing mess?

by Anonymousreply 447January 3, 2023 7:27 PM

[quote]Pretty impressive considering Lea only played five of the nine performances.

Bitch didn't even give 75% and you complain about ME?

by Anonymousreply 448January 3, 2023 7:43 PM

r445 Too late! Sorry about that

by Anonymousreply 449January 3, 2023 7:46 PM

Lea and the production owe all of its success to Beanie. Her miscasting and the subsequent publicity about her and then Lea ( riding in like Jesus into Jerusalem) was the perfect storm. Lea could have farted through the entire show, but all of the publicity made audiences want to see the show. Also, the dismal competition from other shows added to the flocking. The other shows are pretty sad.

by Anonymousreply 450January 3, 2023 7:56 PM

Has there been any more murmurs and farts about somehow nominating Lea as a "special" something or another for FG?

by Anonymousreply 451January 3, 2023 8:44 PM

So does EDDDDDDDDWWWWWWIIIIIIINNNNNNN work for DDDDDDAAAAAATTTaallloooouuunnngge?

by Anonymousreply 452January 3, 2023 8:59 PM

The lead producers have been out campaigning colleagues for Lea to get a special Tony. I hope they'll only agree to this ridiculousness if Beanie presents it.

by Anonymousreply 453January 3, 2023 9:29 PM

Not sure if this is what r450 is actually saying but I'd agree that Lea really benefited from the shitstorm that preceded her at FG.

In comparison, and with an admittedly beautifully sung performance, and all that incredible free publicity, she could only be a huge improvement. Had she opened in the show, what with the utter mediocrity everywhere around her from the hackneyed direction to the cheap and ugly designs to the lame choreography and underpowered orchestra to most of the supporting performances, I don't think FG would be doing as well now as it is.

Thank you, Beanie!

by Anonymousreply 454January 3, 2023 11:41 PM

The only thing Beanie broke was the furniture.

by Anonymousreply 455January 4, 2023 12:03 AM

[quote]The only thing Beanie broke was the furniture.

And wind.

by Anonymousreply 456January 4, 2023 12:04 AM

How close are they to recouping at FG after all these great weeks? Have any "new" shows (that opened post-COVID shutdown) announced recoupment?

by Anonymousreply 457January 4, 2023 1:03 AM

Is Matt Cavanaugh’s asshole still sore after he offered it up?

by Anonymousreply 458January 4, 2023 1:05 AM

Tom Kitt really missed his true calling writing music for theme parks & cruise ships.

by Anonymousreply 459January 4, 2023 1:53 AM

On another chat board that shall remain nameless, someone was complaining that they went online to look for tickets for THE MUSIC MAN and the cheapest seats they could find were in the $700-$800 range. Someone else patiently explained that those tickets were being sold by middlemen at an huge markup. To which some idiot responded:

[quote]Not sure what you mean by middlemen but these prices were at the Broadway.com site.

Truly, some people's level of stupidity is beyond comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 460January 4, 2023 2:04 AM

[quote]Not sure if this is what [R450] is actually saying but I'd agree that Lea really benefited from the shitstorm that preceded her at FG.

Yes, and of course, its impossible to know how big a hit the show would or wouldn't have been, and how great Lea's reviews would or wouldn't have been, if she had opened this production.

by Anonymousreply 461January 4, 2023 2:06 AM

Broadway.com is the biggest rip off of this century. They have convinced the general audience/stupid public that they are legitimate ticket site and not a reseller. They've made millions on insane ticketing charges, but no on calls them on it because they are also Broadway Across America. All the producers have no choice but to keep their mouths shut. The feds should prosecute.

by Anonymousreply 462January 4, 2023 2:42 AM

I only now just realized that Sonia Friedman and Maria Friedman are two different people. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 463January 4, 2023 12:05 PM

But they're sisters. Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 464January 4, 2023 12:59 PM

Not to be confused with . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465January 4, 2023 1:09 PM

[Quote] Yes, and of course, its impossible to know how big a hit the show would or wouldn't have been, and how great Lea's reviews would or wouldn't have been, if she had opened this production.

It feels like the production and the book would’ve gotten the same crappy reviews It got the first time. Lea benefited from being the one shiny new element in the dross around her.

by Anonymousreply 466January 4, 2023 1:21 PM

fucking hate these shows citing their box office records. Just proof they're jacking up prices. Sure it means they're selling well - but also fucking the public every chance they get. What goes around comes around, fuckers. Karma is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 467January 4, 2023 1:57 PM

or when they use the # from a jacked-up 9-performance week. Congratulating themselves on

by Anonymousreply 468January 4, 2023 1:58 PM

Am I just being stubbornly .traditionalist, or is this self-indulgent crap?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469January 4, 2023 2:01 PM

Why is Sally white?

by Anonymousreply 470January 4, 2023 2:11 PM

You're just being stubbornly traditionalist r469.

by Anonymousreply 471January 4, 2023 2:12 PM

I vote for the latter, r469. It's trying way too hard. When it comes to Broadway, will it be with a British cast or will be get Ben Platt and Lea Michele?

by Anonymousreply 472January 4, 2023 2:27 PM

"Come to the Circus Freak Show, chump!"

by Anonymousreply 473January 4, 2023 3:29 PM

I really enjoyed the current West End Cabaret, and was not at all a fan of the Mendes revival. There was a quote somewhere that the current production goes for an aesthetic that feels very Berlin 1929/1930 and I think it succeeds in that. It's more strange, sinister and a little less sledgehammer-ish in its approach - like a George Grosz painting come to life. When taken out of context and onto television, it probably just seems hard sell and overwrought, but in the environment they've created, it works really well. The new production also delivers a more sophisticated ending, without the foolish Holocaust 101 finale of the Mendes production. Cabaret's brilliance for me is about how fascism rises within a civilized society, and not the end result of that action, so I was grateful for director Rebecca Frecknall's headier approach.

by Anonymousreply 474January 4, 2023 4:27 PM

Great answer r474. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 475January 4, 2023 5:38 PM

Kulakango looks like she thinks she’s still burning it down. Isn’t the director there to say You’re in a different show and Garth isn’t here. You’re safe. Chill, hon.

by Anonymousreply 476January 4, 2023 5:39 PM

r474 Did you see with with Redmayne? Was his performance as OTT as it is on the cast recording?

by Anonymousreply 477January 4, 2023 5:47 PM

Anyone who thinks that the current CABARET revival looks like a George Grosz painting come to life has never seen a George Grosz painting.

by Anonymousreply 478January 4, 2023 5:56 PM

Thanks, R478, but I've studied Grosz's work a lot, am of German-Austrian parents and that's how I felt. It goes much further than the (also brilliant) design of Hal Prince's original production. The atmosphere is created from the moment you enter the venue (which is through a winding path through the basement of the Playhouse Theatre), through various strange performances taking place in all corners. The costuming for the on-stage numbers becomes increasingly surreal and grotesque.

R477, I saw Fra Fee and Amy Lennox, the second cast, both of whom I liked a lot. Not having seen Eddie but having listened a bit to the cast recording, Eddie strikes me as pushing it harder than Fra did.

by Anonymousreply 479January 4, 2023 6:24 PM

Frecknall's new production of A Streetcar Named Desire, currently in extended previews at London's Almeida, is pretty terrific.

Paul Mescal in his underwear also helps.

by Anonymousreply 480January 4, 2023 6:34 PM

Mescal seems a bit lightweight for Stanley. So he's good?

by Anonymousreply 481January 4, 2023 6:40 PM

The fact Paul Mescal is actually considered attractive really does show marketing triumphs over fact every single time.

by Anonymousreply 482January 4, 2023 6:40 PM

Boxers or briefs?

by Anonymousreply 483January 4, 2023 6:50 PM

Julie Benko did four of the nine performances. Monday matinee and her usual Thursday Eve were scheduled. Lea was ill and out for both shows on Friday. No show Saturday but Lea was back for Jan 1 matinee.

by Anonymousreply 484January 4, 2023 7:19 PM

[quote]Boxers or briefs?

a lacy thong

by Anonymousreply 485January 4, 2023 7:34 PM

Would love to see an image form that current CABARET that truly evokes Grosz. And not Barnum & Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 486January 4, 2023 7:52 PM

Is George Grosz Terry’s brother?

by Anonymousreply 487January 4, 2023 8:02 PM

[quote] Would love to see an image form that current CABARET that truly evokes Grosz. And not Barnum & Bailey.

Here's an article from the Evening Standard where Cabaret production designer Tom Scutt cites the "lurid colors" of George Grosz and Otto Dix as influence for his design. In another article in House and Garden, he also includes Ernst Ludwig Kirchner and Francis Bacon as influences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488January 4, 2023 8:22 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't need the theater to be decked out to reflect the show. I don't need "environmental." It just seems like a cheap thrill.

by Anonymousreply 489January 4, 2023 8:35 PM

r489 It's mainly an excuse for the theatre to be able to sell pre-show meals and cocktails anyway

by Anonymousreply 490January 4, 2023 9:43 PM

Dolls I wanted to give u an update of my trip! I posted earlier about my little vacay to NYC.

Patti LuPone at 54 below was amazing!! The only real show songs though was As Long As He Needs Me and Wonderful Guy

I actually got a cancellation ticket to Merrily! Color me surprised! I guess Faye Dunaway was indeed happy about the reaction to the Kurstirica movie. It was, after all, a hit at Cannes.

Tonight is Into the Woods

by Anonymousreply 491January 4, 2023 10:17 PM

Spamalot sucked. I just had to say that.

It was just a regurgitation of the movie. All the straight white old men around me were laughing their heads offs.

by Anonymousreply 492January 4, 2023 11:53 PM

R492. And we hate seeing straight old white men having a good time. They should be sound asleep at A Strange Loop instead.

by Anonymousreply 493January 5, 2023 12:25 AM

R493, it’s the “I was once a cool frat boy” laugh. I detest that

by Anonymousreply 494January 5, 2023 12:45 AM

I saw Spamalot a few years ago at the Shubert theater and I hated every second of it. But the two straight people I was with seem to love it.

by Anonymousreply 495January 5, 2023 3:06 AM

Uh...what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496January 5, 2023 3:46 AM

I saw the West End Cabaret a couple of nights ago. I loved it with the whole mise en scene.

The ending was very different than one usually sees but makes its own salient points.

by Anonymousreply 497January 5, 2023 6:22 AM

[quote] Lea benefited from being the one shiny new element in the dross around her.

The ONE shiny new element? Fuck you, r466.

by Anonymousreply 498January 5, 2023 8:00 AM

The shine left you years ago, Tovah.

by Anonymousreply 499January 5, 2023 12:15 PM

Have you even SEEN my ass r499?

by Anonymousreply 500January 5, 2023 12:24 PM

Sorry, Tovah, I hurt my neck and can't look down.

by Anonymousreply 501January 5, 2023 1:26 PM

Tovah, you stole my 1979 Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 502January 5, 2023 1:39 PM

Which do you all prefer: hating a show, loathing a show, or detesting a show?

by Anonymousreply 503January 5, 2023 3:56 PM

Not surprising, but still.... Broadway’s ‘Ohio State Murders’ Starring Audra McDonald Announces Closing, a month before scheduled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504January 5, 2023 4:00 PM

Dolls! My NY trip is over. I loved Into the Woods! Stephanie J Block was amazing and I was very impressed with her acting choices. The witch was better than the Broadwayworld clip…but I still preferred Heather Headley in the role.

I loved Merrily, but I will say Groff’s excessive spitting was a distraction. I think Mendez will definitely get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 505January 5, 2023 4:05 PM

R505, No one spit more while singing than Angela Lansbury.

Sitting in the Orchestra front row at Sweeney Todd, we all could have used umbrellas.

by Anonymousreply 506January 5, 2023 4:16 PM

Oh, please, R506. Al Pacino could spit rings around Angie.

by Anonymousreply 507January 5, 2023 4:30 PM

R507, When did Al Pacino ever sing on a Broadway stage?

by Anonymousreply 508January 5, 2023 4:35 PM

[quote] Broadway’s ‘Ohio State Murders’ Starring Audra McDonald Announces Closing, a month before scheduled.

Got rush tickets to see it tomorrow. Figure I must pay homage to Audra

by Anonymousreply 509January 5, 2023 4:41 PM

R509-Camp out in front of her building, then. Anything would be preferable to sitting through that tedious POS.

by Anonymousreply 510January 5, 2023 5:25 PM

R510, How much longer will hubby Will Swenson’s Neil Diamond show run?

by Anonymousreply 511January 5, 2023 5:34 PM

Vulva Toadstool lied AGAIN today that she’s the first Jewish actress to play Mrs. Brice on Broadway.

Liar, liar, panties on fire!

by Anonymousreply 512January 5, 2023 6:09 PM

She did it on GM3 earlier. Someone needs to inform her that Fritzi Burr, who was also a replacement, was a Russian Jew.

by Anonymousreply 513January 5, 2023 6:15 PM

Will Broadway theaters need to mark certain rows of seats as being in the "splash zone"?

by Anonymousreply 514January 5, 2023 6:26 PM

[Quote] How much longer will hubby Will Swenson’s Neil Diamond show run?

I’m sure Audra and Will will spending much time together at home in the Spring

by Anonymousreply 515January 5, 2023 6:32 PM

R496 that was an odd arrangement, but you have to love Helen. She kept herself beautiful from her start as a "girl singer" with big bands in the 30s to the end of her career in the 80s, and she knew how to deliver the hell out of a song. She's got a studio version of Witchcraft that's decidedly less bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 516January 5, 2023 7:19 PM

I remember Helen O'Connell as the hostess of the telecast of the Miss America pageant for many years.

by Anonymousreply 517January 5, 2023 7:21 PM

My favorite...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518January 5, 2023 7:22 PM

R516, When Helen toured in 4 Girls 4 with Rosemary Clooney, Margaret Whiting and Rose Marie, none of them could stand Helen.

by Anonymousreply 519January 5, 2023 7:30 PM

I think it was Margaret who said she wanted to tear out all of Helen's fingernails LOL. Helen was an unhappy alcoholic so I'm sure she was unpleasant, but in their joint Merv Griffin (I think) interview, the ladies joked that Helen was the oldest and the prettiest, so I do wonder if any jealousy was involved.

by Anonymousreply 520January 5, 2023 7:37 PM

[quote] Rosemary Clooney, Margaret Whiting and Rose Marie

They all strike me as broads more than Helen does.

by Anonymousreply 521January 5, 2023 7:43 PM

[quote]How much longer will hubby Will Swenson’s Neil Diamond show run?

I thought I had heard that it was selling really well right after it opened. Was that true, and then did sales drop off precipitously right after the holidays?

by Anonymousreply 522January 5, 2023 7:46 PM

R521, Helen and Joe Garagiola did not get along when they both appeared on the Today Show together.

by Anonymousreply 523January 5, 2023 7:51 PM

"1776" tour will hit several cities which will be so receptive to see the potpourri cast portraying the Founding Fathers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524January 5, 2023 7:55 PM

Helen was a *lady*.

by Anonymousreply 525January 5, 2023 7:57 PM

No Porkalob?? No dice!

by Anonymousreply 526January 5, 2023 8:03 PM

[quote]Helen was a *lady*.

So was Du Barry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527January 5, 2023 8:33 PM

Excuse me, r527, ex-c-u-u-s-e me. This is a *Theatre* thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528January 5, 2023 9:03 PM

In Des Moines, we demand performers give 100% or we won't support them. New York can keep Porkolab; she's more like them.

by Anonymousreply 529January 5, 2023 9:10 PM

In Des Moines, people think "porkalob" is something they can add to their pad thai dish.

by Anonymousreply 530January 5, 2023 9:14 PM

Into the Woods is my favorite show revival in many years. I've seen it 6 times (including Encores!).

by Anonymousreply 531January 5, 2023 10:46 PM

R531, holy crap. How much have you spent??

by Anonymousreply 532January 5, 2023 11:16 PM

C of A

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533January 6, 2023 12:24 AM

[quote]I really enjoyed the current West End Cabaret, and was not at all a fan of the Mendes revival. There was a quote somewhere that the current production goes for an aesthetic that feels very Berlin 1929/1930 and I think it succeeds in that. It's more strange, sinister and a little less sledgehammer-ish in its approach - like a George Grosz painting come to life. When taken out of context and onto television, it probably just seems hard sell and overwrought, but in the environment they've created, it works really well. The new production also delivers a more sophisticated ending, without the foolish Holocaust 101 finale of the Mendes production. Cabaret's brilliance for me is about how fascism rises within a civilized society, and not the end result of that action, so I was grateful for director Rebecca Frecknall's headier approach.

R474 - totally hear you on some musical theatre excerpts just not working on a TV chat show. But you're saying this show is LESS "sledgehammer-ish" than the Mendes revival? I mean... the woman playing Sally here is growling and grunting most her lines. She barely SINGS the song until the very end. And the actress who performed the title song on the Olivier awards (I think that was a different actress?) all but disemboweled herself. I have to assume that's down to the direction. I'd still jump at a chance to see this production if it transferred, but everything that's been previewed to us "home audiences" thus far has felt VERY 'sledgehammer-ish"

by Anonymousreply 534January 6, 2023 1:47 AM

I will make every effort to replace Sara on the "1776" tour!

by Anonymousreply 535January 6, 2023 1:57 AM

the original

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536January 6, 2023 1:58 AM

Watching that British Cabaret clip was the first time I wanted to shoot Sally Bowles on sight.

by Anonymousreply 537January 6, 2023 3:27 AM

It seems almost every modern production of 'Cabaret' tries to intimidate the audience with cartoonishly gruff women.

by Anonymousreply 538January 6, 2023 11:46 AM

[quote]It seems almost every modern production of 'Cabaret' tries to intimidate the audience with cartoonishly gruff women.

Fosse set the bar when he cast local Munich prostitutes as extras in the movie.

So now every damn new production has to out-sleaze the priors. Whips! Bestiality! Tittyfucking! Aggressive genderfluidity!

by Anonymousreply 539January 6, 2023 11:53 AM

Has anyone else who saw Merrily as impressed with Lindsay Mendez as Mary? I admit, when she was announced I was disappointed in her casting, but I must say she really was as good as “they” say.

by Anonymousreply 540January 6, 2023 12:25 PM

Well, anyone is a step up from Jenna Russell.

by Anonymousreply 541January 6, 2023 12:58 PM

These productions seem to forget that the numbers performed in the Kit Kat Club were meant to be enjoyable, not to torture the audience.

by Anonymousreply 542January 6, 2023 1:09 PM

No reason given. Audience found out when they arrived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543January 6, 2023 1:45 PM

[quote]These productions seem to forget that the numbers performed in the Kit Kat Club were meant to be enjoyable, not to torture the audience.

Exactly. And there's supposed to be a progression. "Wilkommen," for example, should be thoroughly enjoyable and, yes, welcoming, so that by the time we get to "If You Could See Her," the line about how "she wouldn't look Jewish at all" in reference to the Gorilla is a real shocker. Hard for that line to have its full effect when you've already seen every possible depravity played on on stage, including simulated fist fucking :-)

by Anonymousreply 544January 6, 2023 1:47 PM

R543, a five people in the audience?

by Anonymousreply 545January 6, 2023 1:48 PM

Is there anyone in 2023 who is shocked by "If you could see her"?

by Anonymousreply 546January 6, 2023 2:08 PM

In context - the Holocaust was closer in time to the original production of Cabaret than 9/11 is to today. The gorilla number and line would have had an impact on an audience then it's not capable of having now.

by Anonymousreply 547January 6, 2023 2:11 PM

I don't understand your comment, R546. People who produce shows, even revivals, should always assume there will be some people in the audience who are seeing the show for the first time, and the show should be directed accordingly. It's as if someone directed THE SOUND OF MUSIC and decided to have the Nazis invade the Abbey at the top of the show. But maybe you'd love that....

by Anonymousreply 548January 6, 2023 2:11 PM

[quote]In context - the Holocaust was closer in time to the original production of Cabaret than 9/11 is to today. The gorilla number and line would have had an impact on an audience then it's not capable of having now.

What are you talking about? First of all, the gorilla number is about anti-Semitism in general, not specifically about the Holocaust. Are you saying that if someone were to see CABARET for the first time, not knowing anything about it, you think they would NOT be shocked and appalled by that line when it came out of the MC's mouth?

by Anonymousreply 549January 6, 2023 2:18 PM

Leopoldstadt - is this a must see? Or is it one of those plays that gets great reviews but a year or so later you can't remember anything about it or if you actually saw it?

by Anonymousreply 550January 6, 2023 2:21 PM

r533 I've been saying for years that "City of Angels" is a show that really deserves a revival. But please don't "woke" it.

by Anonymousreply 551January 6, 2023 2:23 PM

Jesus Christ, isn’t that price of shit closed yet R543? Just go the fuck away already, and take everyone involved in it with you.

by Anonymousreply 552January 6, 2023 3:03 PM

City of Angels is a show with a great score. The book is not that bad and would just take a skilled director to fix it up. I liked the original production, and the score gets around any staging and book problems. It’s an overlooked show that shouldn’t be.

by Anonymousreply 553January 6, 2023 3:05 PM

[quote] In context - the Holocaust was closer in time to the original production of Cabaret than 9/11 is to today. The gorilla number and line would have had an impact on an audience then it's not capable of having now.

Ive seen Cabaret a number of time and that gorilla number still has great impact to drive home the hatred and stigmatizing.

by Anonymousreply 554January 6, 2023 3:06 PM

[quote] City of Angels is a show with a great score. The book is not that bad and would just take a skilled director to fix it up. I liked the original production, and the score gets around any staging and book problems. It’s an overlooked show that shouldn’t be.

The original started out like gangbusters but sort of fizzled out by the end of the show.

I saw it on Bway during an amazing college Spring Break in NYC. I went to shows every night--standing room for all of them because it was all I could afford (about $10 each). I stayed with a friend in Bay Ridge--all the way at the bottom of Brooklyn. Getting back late each night was a long trek--often subway lines would close, adding another hour to the trip. After all these years, those days were among my favorite memories.

by Anonymousreply 555January 6, 2023 3:10 PM

City of Angels has a stupid ending

by Anonymousreply 556January 6, 2023 3:10 PM

City of Angels is the kind of "static"musical that is really hard for contemporary audiences. You have to listen -- a lot. There's not much action.

by Anonymousreply 557January 6, 2023 3:32 PM

Someday the backstage stories at STRANGE LOOP will become a Ryan Murphy mini-series. A whole new level of ugliness and bitchiness.

by Anonymousreply 558January 6, 2023 3:53 PM

A Broadway documentary that showed the behind the scenes of :

A Strange Loop

Funny Girl

And special segment on Tonya Pinkins’s Raisin in the Sun.

Narrated by Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 559January 6, 2023 3:56 PM

R559, I would pay good money to see that.

by Anonymousreply 560January 6, 2023 4:26 PM

The other problem with City of Angels is that the score is inventive and jazzy until the act finales. Then they have to revert to traditional Broadway because they didn’t trust their jazz anymore.

Inventive show with unfixable flaws.

by Anonymousreply 561January 6, 2023 4:30 PM

"A Strange Loop" had everyone bamboozled. It's pure crap. The sound design is staggeringly bad. You cannot understand the lyrics. (Actually, that might be a plus). It should have been gone after a month.

by Anonymousreply 562January 6, 2023 4:30 PM

Well, R562, I wouldn't say it has everyone bamboozled. There were some negative reviews along with the raves, and needless to say, the show has not been selling well AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 563January 6, 2023 4:37 PM

Jennifer Hudson is gonna have to re-up with Weight Watchers in order to make up her losses from A Strange Loop.

by Anonymousreply 564January 6, 2023 4:47 PM

R564, Or pray that her horrible talk show is renewed.

by Anonymousreply 565January 6, 2023 4:50 PM

R564. Hudson got a Tony and is now an EGOT winner. That's what she paid for.

by Anonymousreply 566January 6, 2023 4:54 PM

How do you give someone a talk show who can't talk?

by Anonymousreply 567January 6, 2023 4:55 PM

[quote] Hudson got a Tony and is now an EGOT winner. That's what she paid for.

We don't acknowledge people who win Daytime Emmys and who buy Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 568January 6, 2023 4:56 PM

All the celebrity co-producers didn't invest a dime. They were there for marketing, of which they did none. (Mindy Kalling, anyone?)

by Anonymousreply 569January 6, 2023 4:56 PM

No one buys that they didn't squeeze money out of the celeb names to keep that thing running for months on end. There's no way it wouldn't have closed otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 570January 6, 2023 4:58 PM

CITY OF ANGELS got a 2020 West End revival that was quickly closed down by the pandemic before it barely began performances. It starred Vanessa Williams and DL fave Theo James. I've a feeling it wasn't very good or might have tried a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 571January 6, 2023 7:31 PM

[quote]I've a feeling it wasn't very good or might have tried a comeback.

I'd assume Vanessa wasn't the problem, r571, sounds like a good fit for her.

by Anonymousreply 572January 6, 2023 7:45 PM

[Quote] Someday the backstage stories at STRANGE LOOP will become a Ryan Murphy mini-series. A whole new level of ugliness and bitchiness.

Give us some details!!

by Anonymousreply 573January 6, 2023 7:48 PM

I thought A Strange Loop was excellent—edgy, dangerous—definitely deserving of its Best Musical Tony,

The problem is the general public doesn’t want to see a show about a gay black man’s life, including a scene in which he has anal sex.

by Anonymousreply 574January 6, 2023 7:50 PM

Theo James can sing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575January 6, 2023 7:51 PM

R575, many people would argue that that is not the only problem with the show, though certainly it's a big part of it. Some shows are just not appropriate for Broadway because they don't have the kind of general appeal necessary to sell all those tickets.

by Anonymousreply 576January 6, 2023 7:57 PM

Any show that has a "GOD HATES FAGS" sing along is not a show for me.

by Anonymousreply 577January 6, 2023 8:09 PM

I think the sing-along in the show is "AIDS is God's punishment," though "God hates fags" may be in there, too. I blocked out a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 578January 6, 2023 8:54 PM

A Strange Loop is Broadway's Punishment

by Anonymousreply 579January 6, 2023 9:17 PM

Whiny, myopic, fat Michael R. Jackson (who no one wants to fuck)writes a musical about a whiny, fat, myopic guy who no one wants to fuck. Why am I interested?! Even Theo James couldn’t save this one.

by Anonymousreply 580January 6, 2023 9:41 PM

I wanted to see it, but every time I went to the box office, Spivey was out and I didn’t feel like paying close to $200 to see one of his understudies (though I gather a number of people they were better than he was).

by Anonymousreply 581January 6, 2023 9:50 PM

I suspect many would like to fuck Theo James r580.

by Anonymousreply 582January 6, 2023 9:51 PM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583January 6, 2023 11:35 PM

I don't understand Strange Loop's raves when the damn show is cancelled half the time

by Anonymousreply 584January 6, 2023 11:36 PM

[quote] Whiny, myopic, fat Michael R. Jackson (who no one wants to fuck)writes a musical about a whiny, fat, myopic guy who no one wants to fuck. Why am I interested?! Even Theo James couldn’t save this one.

Tell me you're a needlessly bitter, closed-minded, obtuse, socially inert gay white male prick without telling me you're a needlessly bitter, closed-minded, obtuse, socially inert gay white male prick.

by Anonymousreply 585January 6, 2023 11:42 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 586January 6, 2023 11:46 PM

Theo James should have been Jesse's replacement in Take Me Out.

by Anonymousreply 587January 6, 2023 11:47 PM

eyes

by Anonymousreply 588January 7, 2023 1:39 AM

hair

by Anonymousreply 589January 7, 2023 1:39 AM

mouth

by Anonymousreply 590January 7, 2023 1:40 AM

figure

by Anonymousreply 591January 7, 2023 1:40 AM

dress

by Anonymousreply 592January 7, 2023 1:40 AM

voice

by Anonymousreply 593January 7, 2023 1:40 AM

style

by Anonymousreply 594January 7, 2023 1:40 AM

[quote] Tell me you're a needlessly bitter, closed-minded, obtuse, socially inert gay white male prick without telling me you're a needlessly bitter, closed-minded, obtuse, socially inert gay white male prick.

Except he never mentioned race at all. YOU did.

by Anonymousreply 595January 7, 2023 1:40 AM

movement

by Anonymousreply 596January 7, 2023 1:40 AM

BAJOUR?

by Anonymousreply 597January 7, 2023 1:41 AM

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 598January 7, 2023 1:42 AM

remember - new thread is here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599January 7, 2023 1:42 AM

Burrrrrnnnnn it downnnnnnnn!

by Anonymousreply 600January 7, 2023 1:43 AM

WHOOP-UP!

by Anonymousreply 601January 7, 2023 1:43 AM

[quote]I don't understand Strange Loop's raves when the damn show is cancelled half the time.

Well, obviously the show wasn't cancelled on the nights when the people who wrote the raves saw it, so I'm not sure what you don't understand.

But....yes, I agree with you that this has pretty much turned into a shit show.

by Anonymousreply 602January 7, 2023 1:45 AM

bye...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 603January 7, 2023 1:53 AM

Re: Today, audiences would take offense at the Gorilla number because many would think it's racist and not bother listening to the last line before going apeshit on social media.

by Anonymousreply 604January 7, 2023 2:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!