Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Call The Midwife Season 12

New season technically begins tonight with the Christmas special, then more to come in 2023.

NOTE UK viewers, you see it sooner than us in the US - please don't spoil us about the main season if you see it first!

Spoilers about the Xmas show in the thread below......meanwhile, gaze upon the current slab of beef on Midwife......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 25, 2023 7:26 PM

So tonight's episode......

Shockingly, both Sister Hilda and Sister Frances are done on the show. Hilda was written off without a return, while Frances (aka Sinead O'Nun) had her last episode. No one is surprised about Fenella Woolgar - she's awesome and was criminally underused on Midwife.

Matthew proposed to Trixie, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1December 26, 2022 3:22 AM

Other observations:

The actors that play Trixie and Dr. Turner appear to have had a wee bit of work done.

The actor who plays Nancy got real FAT.

The bit with Mrs. Higgins and her performance is painfully funny, if only for the look Sister Monica Joan gives the camera.

I think Vanessa Redgrave is losing her voice and/or sounds ill.

by Anonymousreply 2December 26, 2022 3:23 AM

This was one of the dullest episodes in the past 12 seasons. By the last half hour, I didn't really care what was going to (predictably) happen.

When will Millicent Higgins and Phyllis Crane come out of their closet and profess their love for each other ?

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2023 3:31 AM

R3 they totally should! Miss Higgins is kinda my favorite on the show most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2023 3:34 AM

Were Matthew and Nancy lip-syncing to "Something Stupid" or were they actually singing?

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2023 3:43 PM

Lip syncing. As fake as the fake snow falling throughout the episode.

It's time to do some housecleaning. Let's get rid of:

"The Buckles" - Fred, Violet and Reggie. Send them off to China

"Nancy and Claudette" - Get rid of the porker and her kid

"Lucille" - get rid of her but keep her cute husband

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2023 4:35 PM

The daughter's name is COLETTE.

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2023 5:10 PM

I like Nancy well enough, but I'm with R6 on the Buckles and dull Lucille. Cecil too, unless he becomes a male prostitute or Tim's lover.

And I'd be fine with seeing Sheilagh about once a season.

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2023 8:39 PM

Little Timmy Turner and some fine BBC? Sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2023 9:40 PM

Is that annoying drip Shelagh still stinking up the screen?

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2023 10:08 PM

I swear Laura Maine went to the Beth Howland school of acting. Her 'Shelagh' is a copycat of Howland's 'Vera' without the gag lines. I'm waiting for a scene where she opens a box of tongue depressors and they explode all over her like Vera with the box of straws on 'Alice'.

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2023 11:16 PM

[quote] Little Timmy Turner and some fine BBC? Sounds good to me.

Oh, this really is too fucking hot. Timmy getting slammed...yum.

Cyril needs an OnlyFans!

by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2023 11:18 PM

Laura Maine was halfway decent when she was a nun fighting her attraction to Dr. Turner.

But to be honest, both she and - as much as I hate to say it - Jenny Agutter now seem to just show up, clock in and do their lines. A paycheck's a paycheck. We'll have to see who dies of old age first, Sister Monica Joan or Meredith Gray - lol.

But seriously, I have had enough of the Buckles to last a millennium.

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2023 11:20 PM

Violet Buckle comes across as a rather evil character IMO. You can tell she hates Reggie (then again, I don't like him either) and she's not too fond of the nuns. Fred is a ninny.

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2023 11:26 PM

I always figure that Fred is some sort of leftover from the olden days of British TV, the kind of character one would anticipate being on a 60s TV show, and because I'm American I must not get whatever he and Cunty Violet's charms are supposed to be. Violet just comes across as one of the old slags from Coronation Street and I don't understand how she's a council woman.

by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2023 11:36 PM

They need to bring back Pam Ferris as Sister Evangelina's evil twin "sister."

by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2023 12:56 AM

Well that was an action packed SEASON FINALE. A nice mixture of farce, tragedy and homosexual siblings.

by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2023 8:07 PM

Who's gay?

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2023 8:33 PM

Trixie's brother is a homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2023 11:59 AM

No spoilers of future episodes, UK DL'ers!

We just saw S12 E1 tonight.

Boy, THAT episode was a drag. Very sad and/or negative.

Lucille is bumming me the fuck out.

Even Shiny Matthew couldn't perk things up.

by Anonymousreply 20March 20, 2023 4:01 AM

The brief nudity was a welcomed surprise.

by Anonymousreply 21March 20, 2023 4:10 AM

R21???

by Anonymousreply 22March 20, 2023 9:20 PM

Violet Buckle is starting to remind me of the character that Imelda overplayed, I mean played, in Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2023 12:10 AM

Damn, Lucille is bumming me the fuck out. Bitch is riding some fine BBC and needs to stop complaining al;ready!

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2023 3:57 AM

Oh shit, I guess the actress who played her just left the show. With only a few goodbye scenes? Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2023 4:04 AM

Ugh, another dreary one.

And why does the rare hot piece of ass need to be an evil bitch slapper? Ugh ugh and triple ugh.

Hey Nancy, you might save a buck if you lay off the Dr. Kiplings!

by Anonymousreply 26April 3, 2023 3:47 AM

It doesn’t make sense Trixie would be an inept cook, incapable of following a recipe.

Salt instead of sugar? She’s a sophisticate… not Jo March.

by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2023 3:57 AM

R27 exactly. That was just silly.

The kernel of an interesting story was in there with her mention that Matthew frequently entertains and that their wedding cake would contain alcohol. But they didn't discuss that more (at least not in this episode).

by Anonymousreply 28April 3, 2023 2:02 PM

Lots in this episode.....Matthew in bed and one hot husband....

But clearly the star of the episode was the INCREDIBLY CUNTY ELDERGAY doctor on the board, the one with a stick up his ass about Nonnatus - holy fuck that actor was literally hisssssssing his lines!

Never trust an evil queen!

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2023 3:42 AM

This is also the one episode in any season where Monica Joan has a lucid moment.....which she used to READ that board of medicine to absolute filth.

"I hear no respect in your tone" - she did NOT come to play!

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2023 3:45 AM

Fuck, this season is relentlessly dark.

by Anonymousreply 31April 17, 2023 3:52 AM

This is increasingly soap opera-ish. The psycho with scissors, the dramatically induced labor, Pops’ solemn last words…

by Anonymousreply 32April 17, 2023 4:08 AM

It was clear Matthew's dad was gonna croak and Sheila wasn't going to spawn.

But I am amused by Hissing Board of Health Queen.

by Anonymousreply 33April 17, 2023 4:21 AM

[italic]“Unskilled tradesmen!”

by Anonymousreply 34April 17, 2023 4:49 AM

How does one arrange getting a bath from Matthew?

by Anonymousreply 35April 17, 2023 6:28 AM

What’s the deal with Lucille? Is she off the show?

My PBS station runs foreign language series after the Brit ones are finished on Sunday night. Right now it’s a German one, Our Miracle Years and last night was episode 5. Still, I had no trouble picking up the story and the different characters’ relationships. It moves along at a very fast clip too.

by Anonymousreply 36April 17, 2023 3:11 PM

Leonie Ellliot did 6 years which is more than most of the midwives/nurses on the show. Hopefully she's got some decent offers for more work as a result.

Thanks to a ladies hosiery fetishist you can appreciate her out of character.

Incidentally Helen George is touring with a production of The King And I at the moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 17, 2023 3:24 PM

Lucille was mostly such a nothingburger. It shocks me she was on for 6 years. That doesn't seem possible.

Since the originals (and Phyllis), the only one I really liked of the various newer nurses was Val. Nancy's OK....a bit of a breath of fresh air.

But once again, Fred and Violet's rancid asses were all over this episode.

[quote] How does one arrange getting a bath from Matthew?

And twinky Tim? Sign me up!

by Anonymousreply 38April 17, 2023 3:34 PM

[quote] What’s the deal with Lucille? Is she off the show?

Yes, she left.

They wrote it that she's temporarily away so that the actor playing Cyril will have story - we'll see how that goes. It didn't really work for Chummy's husband when Miranda Hart left, he eventually left too.

by Anonymousreply 39April 17, 2023 3:35 PM

Another dire one this week. Sad, hot psoriasis dad and dying kid that looks like Malcolm in the middle.

But hey, there's a dog in this episode. (And I don't mean the new nun)

by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2023 5:03 PM

I can't believe this shit is still on. What's the year now? 1985?

by Anonymousreply 41April 27, 2023 5:06 PM

1968 I think.

by Anonymousreply 42April 27, 2023 5:16 PM

R41, man... so true. This program is awful and interminable. I really hope this is the last season. Trixie gets married, Nonatus house is shut down by the council or government. The nuns get sent to different places... how is it that Sr. Monica Joan is still alive?

by Anonymousreply 43April 27, 2023 5:22 PM

It went downhill when Jenny left but I stuck it out til Chummy disappeared for good.

by Anonymousreply 44April 27, 2023 5:26 PM

[quote]They wrote it that she's temporarily away so that the actor playing Cyril will have story - we'll see how that goes. It didn't really work for Chummy's husband when Miranda Hart left, he eventually left too.

Cyril was apparently part of the last episode, but because PBS chops up the episodes for US broadcast, his entire (brief) storyline was cut. It's appalling that they do this.

[quote] I really hope this is the last season.

It was renewed for two more seasons.

by Anonymousreply 45April 27, 2023 6:44 PM

What R45 said. It's got two more seasons.

I really think at that point they MUST wrap it up. It's probably overdue.

It might be worth two seasons if one shows the radical changes to health care and massive cuts to budgets, and the second of those two seasons shows Nonnatus closing and a few familiar faces (they seem to be deeply allergic to bringing back anyone).

by Anonymousreply 46April 27, 2023 7:57 PM

Next to last ep for the season last night.

The daddy was a cookie sniffer. And the young homeless guy looked a bit like Dan Radcliffe.

Ugh, yet another Sister Monica Joan In Crisis moment.

The audience to SMJ:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 1, 2023 8:56 PM

Sister Monica Joan's penchant for drug-fueled sex orgies finally came back to bite her in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 48May 2, 2023 12:46 AM

R48 Sometimes, being a slut is all a woman has, Dolores......

by Anonymousreply 49May 2, 2023 4:12 AM

Listening to music on YouTube - which popped up Lisa Stansfield's "All Woman" and I started to watch the video....which I've seen dozens of times before in, oh, 30 years.

And who should appear...but Miss Higgins herself, Georgie Glen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2023 12:06 AM

Georgie Glen is one of those actors who has been in so many big name TV shows and films but only in small roles. Does anyone remember her in Natalie Portman's Jackie as Rose Kennedy or in Mrs Brown as Lady Churchill?

She has vital role in Hysteria where she plays one of the women treated by Doctor Hugh Dancy by being fingered to orgasm to treat her nervous disorder.

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2023 6:55 AM

R51 I had no idea on any of those!

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2023 2:34 PM

[quote]Who wouldn't cum if Hugh Dancy fingered them

Claire Danes?

by Anonymousreply 53May 6, 2023 2:57 PM

I'd let Dr. Turner finger me.

AND Tim Turner too. And of course Matthew.

by Anonymousreply 54May 6, 2023 8:30 PM

r54 You'd be lucky to get Reggie.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2023 9:51 PM

R55 May Violet queef in your face, you evil cunt!

by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2023 9:52 PM

well fuck, that was a dark ending.

by Anonymousreply 57May 8, 2023 3:39 AM

Helen George aka Trixie has split with the dishy vicar actor who fathered her 2 kids and is now dating her husband Matthew Aylward.

Good quality dick there girl, well done!

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2023 9:10 PM

I think Dr. Turner has a big one.

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2023 11:54 PM

Why are you also mean about this show? It makes me cry every single episode. They’ve done a very good job weaving characters in and out over 13 seasons. Stop complaining.

by Anonymousreply 60December 23, 2023 9:51 PM

New Christmas special coming up on (appropriately) Christmas night on PBS.

[quote]Sister Monica Joan is convinced this could be her last Yuletide and decides she’ll not live to see man walk on the moon. The Nonnatus Family decide something must be done to try and lighten her state of mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2023 10:28 PM

My god, Vanessa Redgrave's voiceover really needs to be retired. Or get Joely to do it.

by Anonymousreply 62December 25, 2023 7:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!