Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Census: Population Explosion continues in South, exodus continues from NY, CA, PA, and IL

New Census numbers just dropped. States that added the most new people, July 2021-July 2022:

TX +470k FL +416k NC +133k GA +124k AZ +94k SC +89k TN +82k WA +45k UT +41k ID +34k

States that LOST the most population, July 2021-July 2022:

NY -180k CA -113k IL -104k PA -40k LA -36k OR -16k WV -10k MD -10k MS -9k OH -8k

"This is the first time net international migration increased since 2016, marking the largest single-year increase since 2010 — an indication that net migration flows to the United States are on track to return to pre-pandemic levels this year"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 16, 2023 10:37 PM

New York Legislature just voted themselves a 29% raise. Expect to see more people fleeing New York State.

by Anonymousreply 1December 23, 2022 12:13 AM

Florida’s raw population growth number almost equals that of Texas, which has a much larger population. Florida may approach 25 million people by 2030!

by Anonymousreply 3December 23, 2022 12:36 AM

For the first time in modern times, Oregon’s population decreased

by Anonymousreply 4December 23, 2022 12:37 AM

Not for long!

by Anonymousreply 5December 23, 2022 12:38 AM

[quote] Expect to see more people fleeing New York State.

Escaping

𝑇ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑛𝑜 𝑔𝑢𝑎𝑟𝑑𝑠 𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑖𝑑𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑟𝑖𝑠𝑜𝑛, 𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑝𝑟𝑖𝑠𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑟𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑚𝑎𝑑𝑒.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 23, 2022 12:39 AM

Numbers do not "drop," OP, you silly header spouter.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 7December 23, 2022 12:40 AM

North Carolina is growing so fast it may soon dethrone Georgia as the eighth largest state.

by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2022 12:41 AM

The Nation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2022 1:15 AM

Good. The 405 is hell on earth. Keep moving out.

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2022 1:23 AM

I swear since 2016 theres been an explosion of yankees moving to Fl. I noticed on the news last week that every other person they spoke to had a northern accent !

by Anonymousreply 11December 23, 2022 1:40 AM

And they are making Florida even redder

by Anonymousreply 12December 23, 2022 2:20 AM

Taxpayers leaving New York as it transitions into Nueva York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2022 2:29 AM

New from Census Bureau... California's population falls for third straight year, down nearly half a million since 2019

2022: 39,029,342 (July 1) 2021: 39,142,991 2020: 39,501,653 2019: 39,512,223

by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2022 2:33 AM

Did they deduct shithole, pollution, overdose, and covid deaths in the South before counting population explosion????

You don't expect to live long in those shithole red states, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 23, 2022 2:49 AM

This won't end well.

by Anonymousreply 16December 23, 2022 2:55 AM

[quote]This is the first time net international migration increased since 2016, marking the largest single-year increase since 2010 — an indication that net migration flows to the United States are on track to return to pre-pandemic levels this year

Remind me again why this is necessary in the middle of a housing affordability crisis and looming unskilled labor surplus?

by Anonymousreply 17December 23, 2022 2:56 AM

I left NY in 2020 after living there my whole life and every time I go back to visit it is shittier and shittier. Everyone who can afford to leave is leaving.

by Anonymousreply 18December 23, 2022 2:58 AM

The census "dropped"? What's next-- Supreme Court decisions will "drop"?

by Anonymousreply 19December 23, 2022 2:59 AM

R19 is CLAPPING BACK at the census bureau

by Anonymousreply 20December 23, 2022 3:02 AM

R14 and others. It might be a good thing to lose people, if you have enough to start with, but it's useful to remember the "total leaving" is ranked here by volume, not %. For example, West Virginia lost 2.4% but California lost .05%

by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2022 3:04 AM

Texas looks destined to become the largest state in about 15 years

by Anonymousreply 22December 23, 2022 3:29 AM

STFU MAGAt R2

by Anonymousreply 23December 23, 2022 3:31 AM

I'm considering Raleigh, NC. I already live in a shithole Southern state, so it would be a step up. It looks fairly metropolitan so I assume there's a good gay scene.

by Anonymousreply 24December 23, 2022 3:38 AM

In a few years the infrastructure capacity will be stretched to breaking in TX and FL which are always run by complete GOP numbskulls. With so many migrants, poor rural whites and natural resources reaching their limitations they will be living with all the issues government is meant to serve and (continue to) fail miserably at serving their citizens!

by Anonymousreply 25December 23, 2022 4:05 AM

If CA, NY, and IL continue to bl edpopulation like this, the next census could be politically disastrous for them.

NY -220k people CA -218K NY -110k

If they do that each of the next 7 years that is 2-3 house seats gone in those states

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2022 12:59 PM

If current trends persist, North Carolina could eclipse Ohio in population in about a decade.

by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2022 1:07 PM

R26 But the "geography" alone doesn't make the politics. CA migration to AZ, NV (and earlier to WA and OR) essentially changed the political assumptions in those states.

CA and NY migration to Austin etc. Texas may, as soon as 2026, turn into a purple state, like GA.

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2022 3:37 PM

Georgia and North Carolina have traded positions for decades. It’s tradition at this point. For most of the 20th century NC was the bigger state, only switching to the current status quo in the late 90s just in time for the 2000 census.

Also Census estimates are notoriously wrong. The estimated preceding the 2020 count were laughably off in many cities.

by Anonymousreply 29December 23, 2022 4:07 PM

Climate change will reverse this migration within 20 years

by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2022 4:29 PM

R30 Smart money is buying land in Alaska. Yep.

by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2022 4:54 PM

People are sick of paying high taxes and getting nothing. I would leave too! I live in MA but I feel we get our money’s worth here.

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2022 5:08 PM

R32 I live in CA and I feel like I am getting my money's worth here.

by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote]And they are making Florida even redder

I wouldn't count on this. I'm sure there are conservatives moving to Florida because they love Ron DeSantis, but there's plenty of liberals moving there who just want warmer weather. Ditto Texas.

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2022 5:23 PM

R34 I think a move to FL is increasingly becoming a political statement. Self-sorting means liberals will go elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 35December 23, 2022 5:43 PM

Maybe Eric Adams should become the mayor of a city without a famous, giant statue welcoming refugees.

by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2022 5:54 PM

OK but which state is the fattest??

by Anonymousreply 37December 23, 2022 6:17 PM

Who wants to move to TN?

Here in SW Florida, southern accents are rare enough that I notice when encountering one, R11.

by Anonymousreply 38December 23, 2022 6:35 PM

Where are they all going to go when Florida sinks beneath the sea?

by Anonymousreply 39December 23, 2022 7:29 PM

Relatively speaking, not many liberals from the North are moving to Florida anymore. It’s mainly an exodus of wealthy conservatives and cultural conservatives from the North to Florida.

by Anonymousreply 40December 23, 2022 7:49 PM

If the masses of people are willing to move to Hellscapes like Dubai and Phoenix, fear of climate change is not going to inhibit people from moving to Florida or Texas Any time this century.

by Anonymousreply 41December 23, 2022 7:52 PM

I live in Georgia and welcome any and all non-Southerners to offset the ignorant who vote for MTG and Herschel Walker.

by Anonymousreply 42December 23, 2022 7:56 PM

Northern conservatives moving South is why North Carolina still tilts red. In the 90s and 00s, a lot of northern liberals were moving to NC, but after republicans took over the state legislature in 2011 and pursued a hardright agenda, liberals have viewed the state much more negatively. At the same time, more northern conservatives have sought to move to NC than ever

by Anonymousreply 43December 23, 2022 7:59 PM

[OK but which state is the fattest??]

My guess is Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 44December 23, 2022 8:01 PM

Last I checked Mississippi definitely had the highest obesity rate. I think Colorado had the lowest but that might be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 45December 23, 2022 8:04 PM

Minnesota is very fit

by Anonymousreply 46December 23, 2022 8:14 PM

[quote]Last I checked Mississippi definitely had the highest obesity rate.

You check these things?

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2022 8:16 PM

R47 by check I mean the last time I came across the data. No I dont periodically check that info.

by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2022 8:20 PM

Some of this was long predicted as boomers reach retirement age and start moving about.

Good number of those fleeing NYS are those who have retired and seeking someplace with a lower local tax burden.

by Anonymousreply 49December 23, 2022 8:41 PM

And youngish people want cheap big houses

by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2022 8:52 PM

so r43 where are the northern liberals moving to?

by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2022 9:22 PM

I wish more Californians move to Montana. The state is not actually that red. Has been electing dems statewide quite frequently. Given that it's sparsely populated it only takes a few people from blue states to turn it into a reliably blue or at least a swing state. And it is also the most gorgeous state.

by Anonymousreply 52December 23, 2022 9:32 PM

Next four years will be interesting for NYS.

On the one hand arrival of hordes of "migrants" may just ease those population decline numbers. But OTOH if trend continues of NYS hemorrhaging educated middle to upper class and onto wealthy that cannot be good.

Hochul seems to believe it's only a matter of creating high paying jobs that will draw people to NY and keep them from leaving. This totally ignores the fact people are leaving for other reasons besides jobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 24, 2022 4:57 AM

[quote] Hochul seems to believe it's only a matter of creating high paying jobs that will draw people to NY and keep them from leaving. This totally ignores the fact people are leaving for other reasons besides jobs.

Such as not wanting their children and grandchildren to grow up in a transplanted Colombian barrio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 24, 2022 6:27 AM

I love Colombians

by Anonymousreply 55December 24, 2022 12:02 PM

I've seen some analysis that indicates native-born Texans are now more democratic than recent-immigrant Texans, because even though the imports are from blue states, they moved because they like the conservative reputation of the state they were moving too.

by Anonymousreply 56December 24, 2022 12:24 PM

Florida is gaining people who don’t believe in climate change and losing people who do believe in it, and this is why it’s been trending right.

by Anonymousreply 57December 24, 2022 12:29 PM

Historically the influx to the South from blue states has been mostly conservative voters. If the population change really becomes that extreme, it probably helps hold Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 58December 24, 2022 12:30 PM

Northerners are moving to red states for the lower taxes and the warmer weather but they then want many of the services and benefits they enjoyed in the blue states.

Louisiana and Mississippi are in the south but losing population, what corrupt shit holes they must be that they can't attract or even keep people in this type of situation.

by Anonymousreply 59December 24, 2022 12:42 PM

Yes, not all of the South is experiencing growth, but the growth is concentrated in the South

by Anonymousreply 60December 24, 2022 1:04 PM

Even Oregon is using population now

by Anonymousreply 61December 24, 2022 1:12 PM

Yay population losses!

by Anonymousreply 62December 24, 2022 1:46 PM

R61: the out-of-control homeless/anarchy situation in Portland likely has something to do with that.

by Anonymousreply 63December 24, 2022 4:36 PM

Yep I think that’s a factor, and horrifically inflated housing prices

by Anonymousreply 64December 24, 2022 5:35 PM

I think a lot of millennials are at the point where they’ve given up the fantastical dream of living in dense big cities, and decided that they rather live in lower cost areas that they can afford to buy big single family homes, have a lawn, have free parking and a garage, and raise families in more bucolic or suburban environments

by Anonymousreply 65December 24, 2022 5:38 PM

I think GA is a better bet for turning purple than NC because it has one big city and metro that dominates the state. NC is a state of suburbs and small towns

by Anonymousreply 66December 24, 2022 6:09 PM

26 states saw more births than deaths between 2021 & 2022, with Texans being the most fruitful in multiplying, followed by California and some ways away New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 26, 2022 5:57 PM

Meanwhile, 24 states saw more deaths than births, with Florida leading the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 26, 2022 6:01 PM

10 states in the South & West accounted for more than 84% of US population growth between July 2021 and July 2022. Four southern states (TX, FL, GA, NC) alone accounted for 63% (TX & FL nearly half).

by Anonymousreply 69December 26, 2022 6:09 PM

[quote] I think GA is a better bet for turning purple than NC

Ga. already is purple.

by Anonymousreply 70December 26, 2022 7:21 PM

R70 Yep, GA has two democratic senators (including one that was RE-ELECTED) and voted for the dem presidential candidate in 2020. It's purple under further notice.

by Anonymousreply 71December 26, 2022 10:53 PM

This thread is a smorgasbord of lazy thinking and wishcasting.

Taxes are bad, thus states that tax are bad and are losing people because of taxes and no other reason.

States that don't tax are good and are gaining people because taxes are bad.

Liberal governance equals high crime so all liberal places losing population are doing so because of crime.

RIght-wing governance equals low crime and are gaining population because of low crime.

All dumb lies spread by brain dead grandpas that get spit up here on DL from mean old eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 72January 3, 2023 2:23 PM

I see that the "North Carolina growth trolls" are out here in force again! And a false projection has 4 recommendations (obviously made by people who don't know the facts or comparative historical population data.)

I moved South over 40 years ago. Ever since then the word in the media always was that North Carolina was growing faster than Georgia but yet somehow, when the new census results always came in every 10 years, Georgia steadily caught up to North Carolina in population growth and finally did pass it in the 2020 count.

Then, as the Great Recession took hold, it hit Georgia harder than it hit North Carolina and once again the claim was that the Tar Heel State was growing faster and would pass the Peach State in the next Census. Well the 2020 count revealed that did not happen but rather the 2 states grew almost the exact same amount & Georgia easily stayed ahead of North Carolina. A closer look at the data also showed that from 2010-2020 a marked growth slowdown had occurred in both states.

The stats are available out there to corroborate all of this.

by Anonymousreply 73January 3, 2023 2:40 PM

Yeah... Saying something is true without examining what the facts show is such a lazy way of thinking. As has long been said, "Facts are stubborn things". And no, there is no such thing as, "alternative facts."

Anyone can say anything online or in social media; i.e. the messes that facebook or youtube, etc have become.

It's when fact-checking or analysis comes into play that the truth is to be found.

by Anonymousreply 74January 3, 2023 2:47 PM

About 24 years ago, I was one of the Californians moving to Austin because I was tired of living in LA.

I quickly realized even Austin was horrifyingly conservative. Left two years later.

Now (back in California), I notice it’s all the Okie trash moving from CA to TX. And once they get there, they’re happy as pigs in slop.

Bad for Texas, arguably great for California.

by Anonymousreply 75January 3, 2023 3:00 PM

Part if it is lazy media stereotyping.

Namely, everyone from California is some kombucha-drinking hippie tech bro, when in reality, more people voted from Trump in 2022 than in several states that he won, combined.

Also, this crazy little thing called Covid killed a whole lot of people. Remember that?

by Anonymousreply 76January 3, 2023 3:26 PM

Looking at the op's source link I'm "surprised" (just kidding!) to see that it came from Forbes. That rat's nest of a right wing media empire constantly parades one dimensional similar pieces almost year round. It's always pro red state and anti blue state material that gets propelled forward by them.

It's also predictable for them to use new releases of data to blast it out once. And then rebroadcast. Then rebroadcast it once again. etc.

Forbes is a purveyor of the "rinse and repeat" propaganda methodology.

by Anonymousreply 77January 3, 2023 3:45 PM

Agreed, R76; it's almost like no one remembered this mass migration event that emptied cities just as the census was taking place.

I was friendly with a neighbor couple who (well, mostly the husband) complained extensively about the cost of living in CA, and when our HOA raised our fees just before the pandemic they said that was the final straw, put their house on the market, sold it quickly and moved to Texas. They bought a lovely home ("twice the size!" as Mr. said) that was poorly constructed (as all middle-class homes in Texas are) and it blew away in one of the storms. Their insurance was inadequate ("insurance is a rip-off!", according to Mr. neighbor and because Texas does not require adequate insurance), so they lost more than half of what they paid. I bumped in to Mrs. neighbor after they moved back (for her job; he lost his new job in Texas, she was rehired and hubby was still unemployed, so at least they had that) and she bemoaned the fact that they could no longer afford the neighborhood. Their previous home just re-sold for almost twice what they sold it for just about 3 years ago. They rented a home on the other side of town. I feel badly for their kids.

by Anonymousreply 78January 3, 2023 4:10 PM

Surprised to see Tennesse population increasing.

by Anonymousreply 79January 3, 2023 4:14 PM

Nashville metro area has been a hot area for 10 years or so. I have several friends who moved to the Franklin area.

It’s crashing now, though. Got too expensive for what it is. No beaches, shitty public universities.

Also LOTS of development coming online, just in time for the crash.

by Anonymousreply 80January 3, 2023 4:18 PM

I could probably handle retiring to a beach town in NC.

Well, except for the hurricanes.

And I guess people don’t really move for retirement these days. Not that I’d ever be able to retire.

by Anonymousreply 81January 3, 2023 4:23 PM

As for Tennessee, we'll see what is shown in the next "official", i.e. non-estimated release of data after the 2030 Census but I do know that western Tennessee, centered on the basically flat-to-no-growth metro Memphis area, is currently still a big drag on the state overall.

by Anonymousreply 82January 3, 2023 4:23 PM

East Tennessee has an ideal climate.

by Anonymousreply 83January 3, 2023 4:41 PM

We'll see how Californians, Nevadans and Arizonans like living with no water.

by Anonymousreply 84January 3, 2023 4:48 PM

August 2022

Gov. Kathy Hochul said publicly that her opponent Lee Zeldin should get on a bus and go to Florida because he is not a New Yorker.

Zeldin currently represents parts of Long Island in Congress, and he’s been criticizing those remarks for days.

On Monday, Hochul defended her remarks as she traveled to the 19th Congressional District in upstate New York to stump for Democrat Pat Ryan, who ended up winning the special election there against Republican Marc Molinaro.

“And we are here to say that the era of Trump, and Zeldin and Molinaro, just jump on a bus and head down to Florida where you belong, ok? Get out of town. Because you do not represent our values. You are not New Yorkers,” Hochul said Monday.

𝑃𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐶𝑒𝑛𝑠𝑢𝑠 𝐵𝑢𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑢, 𝑁𝑒𝑤 𝑌𝑜𝑟𝑘 ℎ𝑎𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 ℎ𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑝𝑢𝑙𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑑𝑒𝑐𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑢𝑛𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑖𝑛 2022, 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑙𝑒 𝐹𝑙𝑜𝑟𝑖𝑑𝑎 ℎ𝑎𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 ℎ𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑟𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑝𝑜𝑝𝑢𝑙𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑔𝑟𝑜𝑤𝑡ℎ.

Jan 2023

In her inaugural speech after being elected (Hochul took over for Andrew Cuomo, who resigned in disgrace), Hochul statted , "We must and will make our state safe … we have to make our state more affordable … And 𝒘𝒆 𝒎𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒆 in search of lower costs and opportunities elsewhere."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 3, 2023 5:51 PM

I'm not sure what the point of R85's brain-dead troll post is. During the campaign, a very anodyne candidate threw a very anodyne dart at her radical Trumpist opponent? Well-spotted.

by Anonymousreply 86January 3, 2023 7:46 PM

No part of tennessee has an "ideal climate"... Whatever "ideal" may be.

by Anonymousreply 87January 3, 2023 7:50 PM

[quote]We'll see how Californians ... like living with no water.

We'll see how the rest of the country likes living without the food that California grows.

by Anonymousreply 88January 3, 2023 11:45 PM

An obvious fact that is overlooked in the release of this data and the subsequent rejoicing it brought to some Floridians, is that the hurricane disaster and the subsequent serious flooding that spread into central Florida and finally left their east coast all happened after the July cutoff date of the new data. The disaster thus played out on television screens and elsewhere AFTER that figure was derived. As such, the disaster will since that date have undone the work of a thousand different Florida Chamber of Commerce publicity ads and blitzes.

People thinking to relocate may now stop and consider, "Do I want to put myself and property into a risky area like that?"

by Anonymousreply 89January 5, 2023 3:46 PM

I would find this kind of corny California and New York-bashing more palatable if Florida's entire existence as habitable land weren't for the largesse of the federal government, subsidized in large part by ... California and New York.

Try to insure oceanfront property without a handout from Uncle Sam and see how much you'll have to pay.

by Anonymousreply 90January 5, 2023 4:19 PM

People are moving from high cost states to low cost ones

by Anonymousreply 91February 10, 2023 3:23 PM

I get the desire to move out of a high tax state (I live in MD!), but why, for the love of god, does anyone want to move to FL?

by Anonymousreply 92February 10, 2023 5:07 PM

You can leave Illinois, but just remember the larger population centers provide us resources and benefits. When you move to red states, you lose some of those

by Anonymousreply 93February 10, 2023 5:11 PM

Generally, low cost states have larger percentages of young people

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 8, 2023 2:50 PM

States with the highest property taxes

These states, all in the Northeast, had the highest average property taxes on single-family homes in 2022:

New Jersey ($9,527) Connecticut ($7,671) Massachusetts ($7,044) New Hampshire ($6,855) New York ($6,673)

by Anonymousreply 95April 8, 2023 12:06 PM

The administration has a plan to deal with this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 8, 2023 12:49 PM

It’s true. Immigration will help with America’s declining birthdate. A declining birth rate is one of the biggest challenges to our longterm economic vitality

by Anonymousreply 97April 8, 2023 1:08 PM

I just moved to WV…I love that the state is still about 80% forest…who needs people? With less stress on the infrastructure here, my cost of living is very low.

PT is $580 a yr

Electric bill has never been higher than $45

Gas for heat and cooking even in the coldest month was no more than $104

No traffic, great Drs, kind caring people

by Anonymousreply 98April 8, 2023 1:17 PM

R95 property tax rates would be a better metric

by Anonymousreply 99April 8, 2023 1:18 PM

R98, but the culture and amenities of West Virginia is lacking

by Anonymousreply 100April 8, 2023 2:15 PM

I couldn’t live somewhere without lots of hotties

by Anonymousreply 101April 8, 2023 2:16 PM

R95: the Trump tax law with its 10K cap on local tax deduction hit the formerly Republican NJ suburbs hard; between that and R social issues fixation, they've written off those votes. Should be an effect in NH as well I'd think.

by Anonymousreply 102April 9, 2023 4:05 PM

[food that California grows]

California Only grows fresh produce mostly, the food that feeds the world comes from the Midwest, like grains. California sends much food to China and other places, like all those almonds and all that water they need.

by Anonymousreply 103April 9, 2023 4:25 PM

I thought you use brackets?

by Anonymousreply 104April 9, 2023 4:26 PM

Thank you r103!!! 👏🏾 why don’t people talk about how Trump’s tax reform heavily penalizes living and doing business in blue states? No wonder people are flocking to red states.

by Anonymousreply 105April 9, 2023 4:43 PM

I meant thank you r102.

by Anonymousreply 106April 9, 2023 4:44 PM

In NY, you almost eat up the entirety of the federal SALT tax deduction on property taxes!

by Anonymousreply 107April 9, 2023 4:45 PM

R5, I have a relative who recently left Oregon. She says the state doesn’t have good infrastructure, she had to pay more for Medicare supplemental insurance because apparently they don’t have the types of supplemental insurance that’s available in other states. Car insurance was expensive.

The nearest doctor was an hour and a half, nearest grocery store, etc. The locals were ordering everything on Amazon because there were no retail stores an hour in any direction. Not much work in the smaller areas.

Oregon is set up to gain a lot of population due to climate change. But they have no infrastructure and the locals are extremely unfriendly. She said the locals wouldn’t even speak to her landlords who lived there twenty years because “they’re not from around here.” The wife was born in Oregon but came from another area. A lot of meth users and pot growers and users. A lot of stealing because everyone needed money for drugs but didn’t have a job, or not a good paying one. A lot of guys married to older women with money and that’s how they supported themselves. It just seemed like people in her small town were aging in place but without resources. I have no idea what you do when you get too old to drive and the nearest doctor or hospital are more than an hour away. There are a lot of small towns in Oregon with not much around, and the bigger towns are very expensive. I was looking at Oregon for a possible move. She was just extremely discouraging and made it sound like if you don’t live in a few high crime, high cost of living towns, you’re living in Methtown in the forest. Lots of homeless in the more populated areas, which means lots of petty crime.

It sounds like both Oregon and Washington have the San Francisco point of view about homeless. It’s expensive to live here, if you don’t like being homeless, get out. If you want to live in a tent on the sidewalk high as a kite, good for you. If you rob cars or cut catalytic converters, oh well, that’s the price of living in a big city. Quit complaining, this is the best place ever.

I lived in SF for a while and got tired of that. I’d like to find someplace affordable but I am not going to the Deep South and living in a fascist shithole. I understand I’m selling my three bedroom townhouse and lucky to get a two bedroom condo. But I can’t afford to pay gigantic taxes and $800 a month and up HOA fees either. I need to get out of here relatively soon, and I’m starting to panic.

by Anonymousreply 108April 9, 2023 5:04 PM

R108 seems to think that Oregon is one small city instead of a very large state with many different cities and populations.

by Anonymousreply 109April 9, 2023 5:08 PM

Arizona seems to be filling up fast. Miles and miles of suburban houses. Why anyone would move here is beyond me. Then again, I did.

by Anonymousreply 110April 9, 2023 5:13 PM

R109 has reading comprehension issues. I specifically mentioned high cost of living large towns. It seems like it ranges from high cost of living medium-to-Portland sized towns, to Deliverance in the Forest.

I lived in SF, I know towns on the west coast are expensive. I grew up in LA. I got priced out. I also know about stepping over homeless and having homeless people screaming in your face. This is not the old days when homeless people were harmless drunks. Now they’re severely mentally ill drug addicts and sometimes randomly violent. And aging means you become a target for people that need to steal to make a living.

by Anonymousreply 111April 9, 2023 5:14 PM

National divorce in slo-mo.

by Anonymousreply 112April 9, 2023 5:16 PM

R112, I think politicians are ignoring what we can all see happening, because the Democrats have no solution and the republicans are forcing red states to become more and more hostile to anyone with any decency or interest in democracy.

I saw someone suggest Republicans are trying to run Democrats out of red states, because there are more red or purple states, Democratic states are fewer but with higher populations. If everyone is forced to go to the coasts, Republicans win every Presidential election forever due to the electoral college. You could have 100 million people in California voting straight blue and a hundred million in NY, and they’d still win thanks to the electoral college. So they’re trying to make everywhere else uninhabitable for decent people. Florida is gone.

by Anonymousreply 113April 9, 2023 6:33 PM

R108 is pretty correct about Oregon - rural Oregon is not particularly friendly if you're from somewhere else, and there's a big meth problem in a lot of the smaller towns.

There are a few places that are more welcoming, good for retirees, protected against climate change (e.g., Astoria, if you can stand the clouds and rain), but prices in those places are rising fast.

by Anonymousreply 114April 9, 2023 6:53 PM

Stupid cuntess/mega cow mtg also brought up her own version of the idea of a national divorce several weeks ago with what would amount to a red state/blue state sorting out.

The bitch assumes that her entire home state of Georgia would quietly leave with her and the other red trash element in that state.

The surprise for her is that metro Atlanta WILL NOT GO with the rest of Georgia and leave! The red non-metro element there would be left holding the bag in the form of a hollowed, not economically viable, slimmed down version of the state. So, the cuntess would theoretically end up leaving with a hollowed out Georgia.

The same situation could actually happen with metros in Texas and/or even in Florida for example.

Look at who would be laughing last & loudest!

by Anonymousreply 115April 9, 2023 7:28 PM

Putting that into perspective, a loss of 113K means California lost a measly 0.00289 of its 39 million population. I wish more people would go... lol

And migration to "red states" can work both ways. I know very liberal-libertarian people who moved to Georgia and North Carolina last year. The younger married couple went to Georgia due to a job transfer, so it wasn't really their choice to leave the state, but fit with their career path at this point in their lives. Very liberal. They'll never turn red. And the trio of seniors, an unmarried couple along with a single sister, decided to relocate to North Carolina to be near their grandchildren. They're all very outspoken politically about they're hatred for Dump, to the point of getting into arguments. They will continue to vote all blue in any election or ballot measure that could have anything to do with him or what he stands for.

by Anonymousreply 116April 9, 2023 7:39 PM

Arizona’s population explosion is stupefying. The state is gaining 100,000 people a year, which means it will have over 8 million people by 2030.

by Anonymousreply 117April 9, 2023 7:47 PM

What they dont talk about is how often northerners move back to their home states after a few years of Fl summers. My late husband HATED FL ,wich is why we ended up back in his home state of NY (wich I hated) and had he not died,I wasnt much longer there anyway. We loved each other,but as a Fl native the winters killed me and Fl summers killed him. Weather may very well have ended our relationship !

by Anonymousreply 118April 9, 2023 7:51 PM

R12 are the movers all Republicans? Or do they become Republicans after they move?

by Anonymousreply 119April 9, 2023 7:54 PM

That’s merely anecdotal and pales in comparison to the overall Exodus of northerners to the South. If that were such a big phenomenon, official statistics Would reflect people were moving back North. They do not.

by Anonymousreply 120April 9, 2023 7:55 PM

A few years ago, Democrats were salivating over the prospect of turning Texas blue. That still might end up happening, but as of now, as the Daily Beast reports, Democrats “just hope to stop the bleeding.” California migrants to Texas are polling 57 percent conservative vs. only 27 percent liberal. In the 2018 Senate race between the Democrat Beto O’Rourke and the GOP incumbent Ted Cruz, Cruz won newcomers to Texas by a much larger margin than natives, 15 points for migrants vs. only three points for natives.

There was also a major and unexpected shift of Hispanic voters in the state toward the Republican party. Texas may someday turn blue, but migration from California has not produced the inevitable blue turn that some expected. Texas seems to have actually shifted in a redder direction recently. Cruz barely beat O’Rourke in 2018, 50.6 percent to 48.3 percent. But when O’Rourke ran for governor in 2022, Greg Abbott beat him by a solid 54.8 percent to 43.9 percent.

Similar shifts have happened in Florida. A swing state nationally, Florida has been Republican at the state level for some time. Still, Democrats historically had an edge in registered voters. But there was a huge shift toward Republicans during and in the wake of the pandemic, as the policies of Gov. Ron DeSantis proved very popular among national Republicans and made him a presidential contender. Long a major recipient of newcomers, Republicans passed Democrats in registered voters in Florida in December 2021 and had a 383,954 advantage by December 2022, which rose to 436,990 by this March.

Florida is one state where there was a huge red wave in the 2022 midterms. In the 2000s, Pew Stateline observed that Florida was a purple state trending bluer. They noted that Cubans were starting to trend Democratic, and that there was an influx of Puerto Ricans who had traditionally voted Democratic. Now Florida looks more like a red state.

Migration is also upending traditional Republican politics in entrenched red states such as Idaho and Montana. Migration has brought an influx of new conservative voters with a different profile and orientation. They are more highly educated, often have professional class jobs or significant financial assets, and are coming from blue states like California and Washington. Having lived under liberal hegemony, they are eager to support a conservative one in their new states, with a posture that’s aggressive and more explicitly anti-liberal.

Read the rest of this piece on Governing.com.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 9, 2023 8:01 PM

South Carolina’s growth is really impressive because it is adding similar numbers of people as. Arizona and North Carolina although it’s a much smaller state

by Anonymousreply 122April 9, 2023 8:11 PM

R1, if Governor Kathy Hochul had the balls, she would have stalled their pay increase until the "Go Free, No Bail" was changed. She's so ineffective, they got over on her and now nothing is happening with the law.

by Anonymousreply 123April 9, 2023 8:46 PM

[quote]Florida may approach 25 million people by 2030!

I have to kill so many?

by Anonymousreply 124April 9, 2023 8:50 PM

In many red states like Florida and Texas the safety net for things like unemployment insurance and healthcare is practically non-existent. The laws restricting women's right to choose are appalling. Eventually even the dummies wake up to the fact that their state hates them, and is happy to make them poor, sick, and miserable!

I live in NYC, so I honestly don't give a shit how awfully they're treated.

by Anonymousreply 125April 10, 2023 12:18 AM

R125, they don’t care. They support this agenda

by Anonymousreply 126April 10, 2023 1:27 AM

[quote] The surprise for her is that metro Atlanta WILL NOT GO with the rest of Georgia and leave!

You say that as though it was something bad

by Anonymousreply 127April 10, 2023 5:26 AM

I would move out of California, but my income would take a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 128April 10, 2023 5:34 AM

As an Oregonian, i always direct Californians to think of the hidden gem of Idaho. Especially the beauty of the panhandle. It needs some liberal repopulating as well as Boise. It rains less too, so pluses!

by Anonymousreply 129April 10, 2023 8:45 AM

Idaho is getting even more conservative

by Anonymousreply 130April 10, 2023 2:15 PM

^^^ Actually idaho is well on beyond merely "conservative" at this point in time. Rather it has trended into an extreme, rabid, frothing at the mouth fascist authoritarianism.

As an example, the prohibition of pregnant girls from traveling out of the state for an abortion is full-on heavy handed state control.

by Anonymousreply 131April 10, 2023 2:29 PM

Granted R100 but I’m beyond clubbing and going out all the time at this point of my life…I’m an hour out of Charleston which has great restaurants, , music, and great things happening. Over at WVU @ Charleston

If I were young I wouldn’t have moved here but at 67, I couldn’t have picked a safer, cheap place to live

by Anonymousreply 132April 10, 2023 2:36 PM

Yes, r131. And people who believe that way are flocking to Idaho to reinforce that mindset

by Anonymousreply 133April 10, 2023 2:42 PM

Make no mistake, many are moving to these states out of lower cost of living, not because "hurr durr hate them damn liberals". People go where they can afford. I for one would rather live in a box on the street than Idaho, but you do you.

by Anonymousreply 134April 10, 2023 2:52 PM

R134, that’s simply not true. Crime in those cities is out of control.

by Anonymousreply 135April 10, 2023 3:01 PM

You can always drive into a city. Why anyone would want to live in one is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 136April 10, 2023 3:02 PM

[quote]In many red states like Florida and Texas the safety net for things like unemployment insurance and healthcare is practically non-existent.

Except your house can’t be taken if you declare bankruptcy in Florida. There are pros. I wouldn’t like it because of hurricane season.

by Anonymousreply 137April 10, 2023 3:05 PM

R132, where are you living?

by Anonymousreply 138April 10, 2023 3:05 PM

I lived in NC in the 90s when it was being heralded as the next best thing. Even then born and bred southerners were whining about all the northerners coming in. Some of it was harmless fun, but the older generation was not having it. Many would post their venom in local rags about damn Yankees and the civil war. I wonder how they're dealing with such an influx now.

by Anonymousreply 139April 10, 2023 3:17 PM

The northeners who move to North Carolina often conservative the natives and fit in much more than previous generations of migrants to The Old North State.

by Anonymousreply 140April 10, 2023 3:41 PM

One distinction I still see among Northerners, who move to North Carolina is that they tend to be much less openly devout in their Christianity as native North Carolinians. Even liberal North Carolinians tend to be born again Christians who's lives revolve around church and faith

by Anonymousreply 141April 10, 2023 3:44 PM

Now is the time to buy in NY and PA etc.

by Anonymousreply 142April 10, 2023 3:48 PM

I'm staying in the northeast, thank you. Only delicate little flowers, move south, because they can't handle winter. Tough it up.

by Anonymousreply 143April 10, 2023 3:59 PM

R142 is absolutely correct.

by Anonymousreply 144April 10, 2023 4:06 PM

[quote][R142] is absolutely correct.

I have an apartment in Pittsburgh that I absolutely won’t put too much money into because I know I’ll never see a return on it. Not everywhere is going to increase.

by Anonymousreply 145April 10, 2023 4:15 PM

Pittsburgh’s metro area is losing population

by Anonymousreply 146April 10, 2023 5:41 PM

Well, where then, if you’re a liberal and don’t have a lot of money?

by Anonymousreply 147April 10, 2023 6:50 PM

[quote]Pittsburgh’s metro area is losing population

I know..but someone upthread thinks NY and PA are good investments because of the population loss now and a possible change in migration patterns due to climate change.

by Anonymousreply 148April 10, 2023 7:44 PM

Not anythime soon

by Anonymousreply 149April 10, 2023 8:17 PM

[quote] I’m an hour out of Charleston which has great restaurants, , music, and great things happening

Charleston, WV is a happening town. I recall several years ago there was an incident at the local tranny bar where two local female television news employees got into a fight. The weather lady with the big rack resented being accused of coming on to anchor's husband and put the anchor in the hospital.

I expect lots of weather ladies have wanted to do that. You go girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 10, 2023 10:15 PM

I'mma tell you, people moving to Florida are crazy If I could afford to move right now, I would live along the Hudson River somewhere about 90-100 miles from NYC. I'd get me about 3 acres somewhere near Nyack or Saugerties or Kingston. I'd build a tennis court and a swimming pool, I'd have a lovely vegetable garden with flowers and herbs. My house would be totally secure from weather extremes and I'd have my own power generator for times I'd need it. Four bedrooms, five 1/2 baths, an art studio, a home office, a library, a small theater to watch movies, and a recreation room with a pool table an wet bar. My kitchen would be large and open and gorgeous, and I'd have a pantry. The living room would have a piano and there'd be a dining room. I'd have a raised patio made of stone outside and surrounded by flowers There's also be a two bedroom guest house on the grounds. I'd never leave it. NEVER.

by Anonymousreply 151April 10, 2023 10:49 PM

[quote] One distinction I still see among Northerners, who move to North Carolina is that they tend to be much less openly devout in their Christianity as native North Carolinians. Even liberal North Carolinians tend to be born again Christians who's lives revolve around church and faith

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 152April 10, 2023 10:50 PM

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝑶𝒓𝒆𝒈𝒐𝒏

For decades, Oregon hasn’t had to sell itself as a destination. Who wouldn’t want to live in this state of trees and mountains, drink its award-winning craft beers and enjoy its laid-back culture?

Turns out – thousands of now-former Oregonians. Census figures show that about 16,000 more people left Oregon than moved in from July 2021 to July 2022. It’s the first decline for Oregon since the 1980s when the nation was engulfed in a recession.

The gloomiest part of the news is that we all can come up with a list of reasons why. As much as Oregon has to offer, our housing unaffordability, homelessness, increasing taxation, drug addiction crisis, untreated mental illness, gun violence, traffic deaths and educational mediocrity are changing the calculus for many about where to live, raise a family or retire.

A year’s decline in the state’s population does not spell our doom – at least not yet. But the census provides bracing data that shows too many people have decided Oregon is no longer where their future lies. The state depends on population growth to fill jobs, provide tax dollars for public services and inject the energy and perspectives that build thriving neighborhoods and communities. A stagnant or declining population instead dictates a future of cuts and diminished opportunities that can lead to even more people moving out. As student enrollment drops, which schools should a district close? As tax dollars dry up, what services should a county health department cut? These are the kinds of questions that no community wants to have to answer.

It’s too late to ask those who have left why they decided to move. But it’s not too late for Oregon leaders to give the rest of us reasons to believe we’re headed in the right direction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 11, 2023 6:28 AM

Is everyone this dumb to believe Tx and FL grew this much when the numbers of population loss in the other states don't add up to the growth? is it all illegals that those states hate that are pushing their numbers into the hundreds of thousands?

by Anonymousreply 154April 11, 2023 6:44 AM

[quote]Now is the time to buy in NY and PA etc —Buy low sell high bitches!

Buy low? You think you could buy low in NY?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 155April 11, 2023 6:50 AM

Oregon: shitty weather, white trash, and expensive.

Sounds fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 156April 11, 2023 12:29 PM

I enjoyed a visit to Oregon years ago but couldn't imagine living there. The people seemed nice, my main beef was imagining living in all that drizzle for months on end. It is a beautiful but lonely feeling place, at least to me. I grew up in a small town on the east coast that was in a much more crowded state. OR has a lovely vast but sort of empty feeling to me.

by Anonymousreply 157April 11, 2023 1:45 PM

R138 In a little place called Spencer...people here are funny and friendly. They also mind their own business but will never hesitate to help when needed

Unlike Floriduh, the deplorable gov here expanded Medicaid, important if you SS will be drained on our US ”heath insurance”

Unlike Floriduh, most here dont drive around with “Fuck Biden” or "MAGA trump 24” bumper stickers either which is refreshing after 8 yrs of Fl trump love

by Anonymousreply 158April 11, 2023 4:38 PM

Census estimates do not "drop." OP, you insufferable English mangler.

by Anonymousreply 159April 11, 2023 4:40 PM

R118 why didn’t you do the “halfback” thing and move to NC, GA, or VA?

by Anonymousreply 160April 11, 2023 4:54 PM

I love that all the dumb people are moving to be closer to each other. Helps us eventually let them all choke on their communal stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 161April 11, 2023 5:00 PM

Blue States are diminishing in congressional power as people move Southv

by Anonymousreply 162April 11, 2023 5:55 PM

More anecdata. I have eight friends that moved from the Northeast to Florida. Most for retirement. We had moved back to the Northeast FROM Florida, and warned them.

All of them hate Florida - HATE IT - but can't afford to move back and live the life they were living before they left. They are miserable.

Some of these stories should at least account for people leaving the south to return from whence they came.

Oh, And NC? Five miles out of the major cities now touted as near nirvana is pure backwards redneck heaven. Even in many of the larger cities, the majority of the housing developments are all named "[italic]Something[/italic] Plantation." Take that as you will.

This emigration is a much bigger story with all sorts of angles that should be, but aren't generally included in the stories and descriptions and data.

by Anonymousreply 163April 11, 2023 6:00 PM

Some people do want to move back, but the majority I’ve known say they have a better quality of life after leaving NY. The one common complaint is the food isn’t as good, but that’s about it. My friend who moved to Austin says she get ill when she comes back to visit. She lived in LI and worked Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 164April 12, 2023 5:28 AM

I wish we'd get a grip on immigration, legal and illegal. A stable population for a generation would be a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 165April 12, 2023 5:32 AM

We need more immigration

by Anonymousreply 166April 12, 2023 11:07 AM

The Hill: Two million people fled America’s largest cities from 2020 to 2022, new research shows, signaling that a retreat from urban centers to suburbs, exurbs and smaller cities in the early months of the pandemic has hardened into an enduring and potentially worrisome trend. More than 1.2 million people left the nation’s large urban counties between July 2020 and July 2021, according to a report published this month by the Economic Innovation Group, a bipartisan public policy organization. Another 860,000 people departed between July 2021 and July 2022.

by Anonymousreply 167April 12, 2023 1:38 PM

[quote]Census: Population Explosion continues in South, exodus continues from NY, CA, PA, and IL

This time the South will rise again, Mame!

by Anonymousreply 168April 12, 2023 2:02 PM

R164 My dad let me and my brother a 2/2 fully paid for co-op on Union Turnpike a couple of miles from both Kennedy and laGuardia airports and 10 minutes from the city...neither of us want it

I have no desire to go back to NY or LI. I love living in WV

by Anonymousreply 169April 12, 2023 2:32 PM

Ummm Kay brah

by Anonymousreply 170April 12, 2023 3:25 PM

Don't think I'd want an apartment near two of the busiest airports in the world either. The occasional Medevac helicopters flying over my house to and from the nearby hospitals is bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 171April 12, 2023 11:21 PM

New Yorkers are so worried about crime, sky-high housing costs and struggling schools, 27% percent of state residents said they want to move away in the next five years, a survey revealed Wednesday.

A stunning 30% of respondents — who also cited inept political leadership and soaring taxes as reasons for wanting to flee — said they already longed to live somewhere else, according to a Siena College Research Institute quality of life poll.

Nearly a third — about 31% — plan to leave the Empire State when they retire while even more said they believe it’s not safe for kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 12, 2023 11:40 PM

lmao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173April 12, 2023 11:57 PM

R151, beautiful areas. However, I’ve been thinking for a while about moving out of NYC, but wouldn’t consider other areas in the state due to taxes. You can get beauty in other states for a lot less.

by Anonymousreply 174April 13, 2023 12:24 AM

It’s over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 13, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote] African Migrants In London Scream At White People How They've Come To Claim The Land And Enslave Them

Curiously I see no police presence in that Kabula video nor do I find a mention of any law enforcment response on google.

Just last week SIX police officers raided a pub to confiscate a collection of vintage Golliwog stuffed dolls. Toys once very popular and common in England. I expect SAS was on standby to assist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 13, 2023 1:19 AM

Wyoming is cheap

by Anonymousreply 177April 13, 2023 2:14 AM

^^^ And a hateful place for gays and also socially & environmentally assbackwards as f**K!

The wyoming Legislature recently passed a law meant to make it more difficult to own or operate an electric vehicle in the state . Screw them!

by Anonymousreply 178April 13, 2023 2:25 AM

Someone's moving to Houston. Acres being developed for housing. Ugh. Pretty soon Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio will be one huge metropolis.

by Anonymousreply 179April 13, 2023 2:29 AM

"Someone's moving to Houston."

A great original thought. That's been happening all of my life except for their 1980's bust period. Other than that, there's nothing new about the growth. In fact, it's old news.

And the dork/boosters in Dallas have been calling their place the "metroplex" since way back before I first heard that term after I got my first transistor radio in the 1960's and easily pulled in far away radio stations on it at night.

by Anonymousreply 180April 13, 2023 2:46 AM

I lived in many different places in my younger days,but I never hated a place as instantaneously or with such vehemence as I did Texas.Dallas/Fort Worth to be exact. It was nothing but suburbs and strip malls then,and that was late 80s . I cant imagine what it must be like now. I swore Id never set foot in that shit hole then,and I never have . Im in N. Fl and they are building everywhere. Vast stretches of apartments and new houses. Its insane.

by Anonymousreply 181April 13, 2023 2:58 AM

I live in a market rate rental in NYC with $4000/month one-bedrooms, and out of 370 units two or three are currently available. Yes, truly a sign of a mass exodus!

NYC has between eight and nine million residents, more than many states, so it does seem some are sticking around!

by Anonymousreply 182April 13, 2023 3:12 AM

Just about 10% of Registered voters in Wake County, NC were born in New York

by Anonymousreply 183April 13, 2023 3:14 AM

I think in NYC will become very segregated.. the flashy areas in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens will continue to attract high socio economic residents. But people in the traditionally middle class residential areas like in South Brooklyn and areas of Queens and the Bronx will continue to migrate and be replaced with Hispanic, Asian and Arab immigrant population, which has been happening. White and black residents seem to be the ones leaving, many natives NYers.

by Anonymousreply 184April 13, 2023 3:47 AM

R184, do you live in NY? You clearly don't if you don't know that a lot of the Asians and Arabs have money and are "high socio economic" residents. I grew up in Bay Ridge and a lot of the Arabs at this point are like third generation business owners with kids in white collar professions.

by Anonymousreply 185April 13, 2023 3:51 AM

And how racist to think only white and black people are "NYers" when several generations of others have already been born NYers.

by Anonymousreply 186April 13, 2023 3:53 AM

Nearly all the country’s fastest-growing counties are on the urban fringe. By 2025, note the consultants at Bain, exurbs will have more people than the inner cities they surround. Peripheral regions have been the big winners in what Zillow calls “the great re-shuffling,” essentially an acceleration of the trend toward suburbs, smaller cities, and even rural areas. In 2020, exurbs enjoyed a 37% growth in migration and price increases twice the national average.

by Anonymousreply 187April 14, 2023 10:23 AM

In fact, with the growing presence of big banks, like Goldman Sachs and Blackstone, in Florida, the state has earned the nickname "Wall Street South."

"Successful people with big businesses ... want to create their residency in Florida to save on taxes," Miami-based Douglas Elliman agent Jackie Bild says. "Many jobs have become more flexible, and you no longer need to go into the office and be in the cold. And it’s more affordable than New York.

by Anonymousreply 188April 16, 2023 9:40 PM

The migrants will have to be forcibly repatriated r25. By ANY means necessary. Dead ones don't come back.

by Anonymousreply 189April 16, 2023 10:33 PM

What a stupid mindset r143. Most people feel life is too short to waste so much time buried under cold and snow. Can you not hack the heat? Is that why you're so miserable?

by Anonymousreply 190April 16, 2023 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!