Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Lion in Winter (1968)

Let's discuss the Christmas classic, The Lion in Winter. During Christmas of 1183, the film centers around the political and personal turmoil among the royal family of Henry II of England, his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine, their children, and their guests.

Directed by Anthony Harvey

Adapted for the screen by James Goldman, based on his play

Music by John Barry

Starring Katharine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, Timothy Dalton, John Castle, Nigel Terry, Nigel Stock, Jane Merrow, and ANTHONY HOPKINS as Richard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174December 23, 2023 3:18 PM

I prefer Eleanor's entrance over Cleopatra's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2022 10:20 PM

Richard the Lionheart and Prince Phillip were lovers. A movie from the 1960's that is not scared to address a gay affair.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2022 10:22 PM

Medieval heterosexual camp. What's not to like? The acting is, shall we say, em-PHAT-ic.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2022 10:26 PM

R3 I think the acting is great. It exceeds Becket. It really only applies to four central perofrmances:

In Becket, you had O'Toole, Richard Burton, John Gielgud, and Sir Donald Wolfit.

In Lion, you have O'Toole, Katharine Hepburn, Timothy Dalton, and Anthony Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2022 10:29 PM

I read Janet Suzman was set to play Alys of France, but the Royal Shakespeare Company would not loan her out.

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2022 10:38 PM

My favorite film, and one of the most quotable movies I can think of. The dialogue fairly crackles, and you can feel the venom in their tirades. "I wonder, do YOU ever wonder, if I slept with your father....."

What's not to like?

Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart's version was, and I'm being kind here, less than stellar. 😝

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2022 10:41 PM

R4 "[I]t just won't do to have actors carrying on as if this were a genuine, 'deep' historical play on the order of 'A Man for All Seasons' ... They're playing a camp historical play as if it were the real thing—delivering commercial near-poetry as if it were Shakespeare."--Pauline Kael

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2022 10:49 PM

"I'm a match for anything, aren't you?"

It was, really, a love story.

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2022 10:52 PM

Katherine Hepburn’s best performance!

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2022 10:53 PM

This is a great movie. ALL of the actors in it were great. Especially Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn. I liked the atmosphere of it, it really does take you back to that time and I liked the storyline of the relationships with his Son's.. Timothy Dalton as Philip and Anthony Hopkins as Richard and their storyline was interesting and well acted. I never get tired of watching it.

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2022 10:55 PM

I'm aware of all its' flaws but this is my all time favorite film.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2022 10:56 PM

R6 I'm sure they realized what a hard act they were following.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2022 10:56 PM

R2, in real life, Geoffrey was the son who was closest to Phillip, and Phillip was said to have done a whole coffin-jumping routine after Geoffrey’s death.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2022 11:04 PM

It was amusing to see what a corrupt little bit of fluff Alys was at the end.

Sorry, dear, Eleanor is Henry's only worthy queen, and he's not going to execute his sons for you.

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2022 11:08 PM

I forget--did Katharine Hepburn go for a British accent in the movie, or did she figure her fake posh American accent was close enough?

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2022 11:23 PM

Fun and campy, except for Hepburn who is pure ham and quite hideous.

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2022 11:43 PM

Medieval Golden Girls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2022 11:54 PM

R15 She was basically playing herself, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2022 12:06 AM

What fun. LOVE this movie.....Two great hams having a WHALE of a time

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2022 12:13 AM

Hammy, too wordy, tedious and of course what else does one do with historical events?! Fictionalise the fuck out of them.

Leave history alone if you have zero intention of telling it correctly.

I can see why queens love this frivolous, frothy shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2022 12:14 AM

[quote]in real life, Geoffrey was the son who was closest to Phillip, and Phillip was said to have done a whole coffin-jumping routine after Geoffrey’s death.

I read that too, in "The Plantagenets", I think. I also read that when it came time, Richard refused to marry Alis, much to Phillip's fury.

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2022 12:18 AM

Katharine Hepburn saying the word "really": "RAH-lly." "RAH-lly I will! RAH-lly!"

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2022 12:54 AM

Saw it on stage twice. Once in New York with Stockard Channing and Laurence Fishburne, and once in the Berkshires with Jayne Atkinson and Treat Williams. Thought the women were better than the men in both cases., and I think the film version works better than the stage version.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2022 1:25 AM

"I even made poor Louis take me on Crusade. How's that for blasphemy? I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted half-way to Damascus. Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn...but the troops were dazzled."

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2022 1:38 AM

^^ yes, I thought she was so convincing when she said that. I also liked in the beginning of the movie, when Henry greeted her at the boat. I know people upthread bash this movie, but it is a very good movie and I thought KH and PO, were wonderful together

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2022 2:07 AM

"If I had managed sons for him instead of all those little girls, I'd still be stuck with being Queen of France, and we should not have known each other. Such, my angels, is the role of sex in history."

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2022 2:20 AM

The ending both completes and upends the whole film. They bid each other farewell and are laughing madly as Eleanor is taken back to her prison. Henry declares "I hope we never die!" and you can tell that he means it.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2022 2:29 AM

And historically, Eleanor survived Henry and acted as one of the regents while Richard was on Crusade. She organized collection of the random when Richard was kidnapped.

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2022 2:36 AM

How badly did Katharine Hepburn traumatize Anthony Hopkins on the set that years later he impersonated her voice for Hannibal Lecter? "People will say we're in love ..."

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2022 2:41 AM

[quote]Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart's version was, and I'm being kind here, less than stellar. 😝

'Twas ever thus.

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2022 2:41 AM

Didn't Hepburn look a lot older than Harris?

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2022 2:42 AM

Eleanor was older than Henry

by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2022 2:48 AM

Just an example of watching actors "act.". I'd love to see something on that time period but acted out seriously, not just for indulgence.

by Anonymousreply 33December 22, 2022 2:57 AM

[quote] Katherine Hepburn’s best performance!

Mary Tyrone from Long Day's Journey Into Night would like to have a word with you.

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2022 3:01 AM

This was unquestionably Peter O'Toole's most deserving win, relative to the year's competition.

It's difficult to argue that the likes of Brando, Peck or De Niro failed to deliver iconic, justifiably praised performances that have stood the test of time.

But Cliff Robertson? Really?

And the Academy investigated the "excessive and vulgar solicitation of votes" and "many members agreed that Robertson's award was based more on promotion than on performance."

by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2022 3:11 AM

This is Master class level film acting, r33...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2022 3:12 AM

Yeah, I really wish this film were more of a boring drag, handling the topic the way it was historically-where nobody interacted with anybody. A thrilless bog of internal dialog. A ‘Look Who’s Talking’ of spotty ugly people in a drab, dank settling.

by Anonymousreply 37December 22, 2022 3:13 AM

Horrible, hammy performances.

Preposterous stagey dialogue.

Absurd age difference between Hepburn & O’Toole (Eleanor of Aquitaine was 11 years older than Henry II; Hepburn was 25 years older than O’Toole.)

by Anonymousreply 38December 22, 2022 3:17 AM

One of two theatrical adaptations directed by Anthony Harvey (the other being "The Glass Menagerie") where the performances are just about perfect.

I don't believe that any production is "definitive", but Harvey set a high bar with his films.

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2022 3:17 AM

It's is so, so, so good. One of the very best in the filmography of all involved.

by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2022 3:45 AM

[quote]Preposterous stagey dialogue.

This exactly. Thank you, r38 for saying what we all were thinking!

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2022 4:37 AM

... with Kimba as The Lion.

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2022 4:40 AM

[quote]And historically, Eleanor survived Henry and acted as one of the regents while Richard was on Crusade. She organized collection of the random when Richard was kidnapped.

And she was one John's regents, though he mostly refused to listen to her.

Eleanor's life deserves some (if not HBO) Starz/Showtime level multi-part limited series. There's a considerable amount of source material out there & she was a fascinating figure all on her own.

by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2022 9:56 AM

R36, seriously?

It's a masterclass in acting for all those drag queens who do impersonations of Old Hollywood broads like Hepburn, Davis etc.

To paraphrase Homer Simpson; Hepburn "literally chewed the scenery"

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2022 10:02 AM

[quote] Preposterous stagey dialogue.

The whole thing was positively Brechtian.

Tediously Brechtian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2022 10:18 AM

Hepburn could have been running through any old script by any character (see below).

She's always only ever herself, Eleanor of Aquitaine my ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2022 10:25 AM

I saw this first run in 1968, At 8, my father would let me pick a movie let me go by my self. I thought it was going to be about lions in the winter so I wasn't very impressed.

A year later he dropped me off at Cactus Flower, which we both thought was going to be one of those Disney, nature, voice-over things. I remember the ticket taker looking at my father when I went to the window, "are you sure?". At work he heard the guys talking about the movie and realized his mistake. If it happened today they'd call the cops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 22, 2022 10:54 AM

[quote]I can see why queens love this frivolous, frothy shit.

And they are the EXACT SAME REASONS we despise you r20.

by Anonymousreply 48December 22, 2022 11:00 AM

I hope to play this part, some day.

by Anonymousreply 49December 22, 2022 12:26 PM

Gonna watch this, I didn't love Bishop's Wife

by Anonymousreply 50December 22, 2022 1:16 PM

R46, thanks for that clip. It is the inspiration of a joke on Are You Being Served when Mr. Humphries was dressed as a woman and did that line and I never understood why it was funny.

by Anonymousreply 51December 22, 2022 1:23 PM

One of John Barry’s most GLORIOUS scores

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 22, 2022 1:29 PM

[quote] This is a great movie. ALL of the actors in it were great.

by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2022 6:49 PM

[quote] Adapted for the screen by James Goldman, based on his play

His career went down and down after this un-naturalistic, Brechtian, claustrophobic, stage-bound, 1966 talk-fest.

by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2022 7:02 PM

It sure ain't The Christmas with the Crwafords.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2022 7:03 PM

Katharine Hepburn is great in this

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2022 7:28 PM

[quote] Katharine Hepburn is great in this

[quote] I think the acting is great.

[quote] This is a great movie. ALL of the actors in it were great.

[quote] Two great hams

by Anonymousreply 57December 22, 2022 7:34 PM

Pauline Kael was 100% right about this film.

by Anonymousreply 58December 22, 2022 7:59 PM

R58 what did she say?

by Anonymousreply 59December 22, 2022 8:10 PM

[quote] Directed by Anthony Harvey

He did this movie and his career disappeared down a hole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 22, 2022 8:12 PM

Pauline Kael said this un-naturalistic talk-fest was full of 'imitation wit and imitation poetry'.

by Anonymousreply 61December 22, 2022 8:18 PM

Hepburn to Hopkins—

[quote] Don’t act. Leave that to me; I act all over the place. You don’t need to act. … you’ve got a big body. . . . Just show up and speak the lines.”

by Anonymousreply 62December 22, 2022 8:20 PM

Pauline Kael couldn't even manage imitation wit. Thankfully, I am unaware of any attempts by her at poetry.

by Anonymousreply 63December 22, 2022 8:37 PM

Pauline really laid into Hepburn and her performance. She thought O'Toole was great, but she felt Hepburn relied too much on her "Hollywood goddess of the screen" persona, which many mistook as a tour de force performance, while Pauline found it appalling and lazy.

It wasn't like Pauline was a major hater of Hepburn, either. She gave her a glowing review for her performance in Long Day's Journey Into Night and said it was Hepburn's crowning achievement.

by Anonymousreply 64December 22, 2022 8:50 PM

Anthony Harvey was a competent, uninspired director who someone like Hepburn would like because he wouldn't try to butt heads with her. I was shocked anyone would think his film of GLASS MENAGERIE was good given how miscast Hepburn was as Amanda.

I agree that Kael had the right idea about this movie - it's third-drawer Albee with costumes, and Hepburn carries on like she's doing Shakespeare. I first saw it in college and no one in the audience took it seriously. I did like Timothy Dalton, who is one member of the case who knows exactly what kind of material it is.

by Anonymousreply 65December 22, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote] like she's doing Shakespeare.

This movie, Becket, Game of Thrones and those Maxwell Anderson plays are all ersatz plays for people who feel they should like Shakespeare but just can't cope with the effort of Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 66December 22, 2022 9:12 PM

Or we like them on their own terms, most of them, r66. I couldn't quite get into Becket for some reason, although that does seem like something I want to like. But somehow, I just didn't.

Lion in Winter though, is a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 67December 22, 2022 9:33 PM

You sound easily satisfied, R67. You may think differently when you mature.

by Anonymousreply 68December 22, 2022 9:35 PM

WE HATE EVERYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 69December 22, 2022 9:38 PM

Well, hopefully we can all mature someday r68 and not just curdle.

by Anonymousreply 70December 22, 2022 9:40 PM

… or go rancid.

by Anonymousreply 71December 22, 2022 9:58 PM

Imagine the level of camp if they had cast Bette Davis in Hepburn's role.

by Anonymousreply 72December 22, 2022 10:12 PM

I played a bigger queen, r72...twice!

by Anonymousreply 73December 22, 2022 10:16 PM

with an eye patch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 22, 2022 10:18 PM

r74, Bette Davis is my all time favorite actress but The Anniversary was HORRENDOUS! THE LION IN WINTER was a much better film.

by Anonymousreply 75December 22, 2022 10:44 PM

^ The Anniversary was worse than horrendous.

The Wintry Lion was camp and horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 76December 22, 2022 10:51 PM

My only complaint about the Lion in Winter is the too clever by half exchange referencing the knife. Other than that misstep it's terrific.

John: A knife! He's got a knife!

Eleanor of Aquitaine: Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives! It's 1183 and we're barbarians! How clear we make it. Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war: not history's forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing. We are the killers. We breed wars. We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten. For the love of God, can't we love one another just a little - that's how peace begins. We have so much to love each other for. We have such possibilities, my children. We could change the world.

by Anonymousreply 77December 22, 2022 11:07 PM

^ Normal human beings don't talk like that. Only self-consciously camp people go on with all that declamatory declaration.

Harold Pinter's dialogue is much closer to normal natural speech.

by Anonymousreply 78December 22, 2022 11:12 PM

You can’t deodorize a turd.

by Anonymousreply 79December 22, 2022 11:19 PM

Anthony Hopkins told a funny story about how Hepburn explained movie acting to him - he'd only ever appeared on stage. They shot a scene together and she told him "your performance would be greatly improved if you didn't turn your back to the camera".

by Anonymousreply 80December 22, 2022 11:44 PM

Bitchy but helpful. Respect.

by Anonymousreply 81December 22, 2022 11:49 PM

She’s 25 years older than Peter O’Toole and looks doddering.

by Anonymousreply 82December 23, 2022 12:28 AM

I will always know it as Lion in The Winter because this is how Ingrid Bergman announced it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 23, 2022 12:32 AM

In what was probably 1977, when I was working at a record store in Greenwich Village, a sweet older man would often stop in, and we’d have friendly conversations. I was 28 or so.

He was diffident, but endearing, and indicated he was romantically interested in me. I was flattered, but frightened, because I was very closeted. I really liked him. But I eventually sent him away, making him sad, which I regretted. I just couldn’t handle that open a level of intimacy at that time.

And that was how I met Anthony Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 84December 23, 2022 12:49 AM

[quote] Anthony Harvey

Why did his career fail?

by Anonymousreply 85December 23, 2022 12:51 AM

This movie came out just 6 years after Lawrence.

And the transformation in O'Toole's face was frankly shocking. Actually 'degradation' is a better description than 'transformation'.

He was haggard and dissolute with bags under his eyes. At least he could wear a beard to cover part of the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 23, 2022 2:31 AM

Even if it is a hamfest, this movie aged well and it's still an enjoyable watch, if for no other reason than to see O'Toole in his prime & Hopkins & Dalton as young men. As someone else noted, Beckett is a movie you're supposed to love, but somehow it just leaves you cold while this movie is an entertaining little gem.

by Anonymousreply 87December 23, 2022 12:04 PM

O'Toole's face was blasted by the desert sun for two years during the making of 'Lawrence', so it's no wonder his thin Irish complexion went into rigor mortis way before the rest of him did.

by Anonymousreply 88December 23, 2022 12:17 PM

Of course people don't really talk like they do in this movie. It's not a history lesson, but a family drama. Yes, it's quite hammy, but also fun. Also, that dialogue is not that easy to deliver. Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close made a mess of it.

by Anonymousreply 89December 23, 2022 2:32 PM

It was shit

by Anonymousreply 90December 23, 2022 3:36 PM

I'd prefer the gay fisting XXX version; My Loins in Splinters

by Anonymousreply 91December 23, 2022 3:56 PM

Hepburn, O'Toole, Hopkins.

WE'RE ACTORS!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 23, 2022 4:00 PM

I could peel you like a pear and God himself would call it justice!

by Anonymousreply 93December 23, 2022 7:48 PM

[quote] I read Janet Suzman was set to play Alys of France, but the Royal Shakespeare Company would not loan her out.

She would have been more interesting than the person they chose who was as profound as Sanda Dee.

by Anonymousreply 94December 23, 2022 8:58 PM

R51, I hate to do this at Christmas but hand over your gay card.

by Anonymousreply 95December 23, 2022 9:12 PM

[quote] One of John Barry’s most GLORIOUS scores

Mr John Barry Prendergast was an extremely clever man but this particular score is heavily reliant on Car Orff—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 23, 2022 9:17 PM

Why, R23?

Because it was shorter?

by Anonymousreply 97December 23, 2022 9:24 PM

[quote]R87: As someone else noted, Beckett is a movie you're supposed to love, but somehow it just leaves you cold while this movie is an entertaining little gem.

I hold Richard Burton responsible for that.

by Anonymousreply 98December 23, 2022 10:26 PM

The LESBIAN In Winter

by Anonymousreply 99December 23, 2022 10:27 PM

I love Becket, A Man For All Seasons, and The Lion in Winter. ❤❤❤

by Anonymousreply 100December 23, 2022 10:46 PM

[quote] I can see why queens love this frivolous, frothy shit

Boy, you sure sound like someone people tend to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 101December 23, 2022 10:50 PM

[quote] Becket, A Man For All Seasons, and The Lion in Winter.

Three good examples of Ersatz Shakespeare (suitable for Americans)

by Anonymousreply 102December 24, 2022 3:22 AM

or Anne of the Thousand Days

by Anonymousreply 103December 24, 2022 3:24 AM

or 'Joan of Lorraine'.

or 'Elizabeth the Queen'.

or 'Mary of Scotland'.

or 'Richard of Bordeaux'.

by Anonymousreply 104December 24, 2022 4:54 AM

Don't forget to add Mary Queen of Scots and Nicholas & Alexandra on that list!

by Anonymousreply 105December 24, 2022 4:00 PM

The Lion in Winter is basically The Crown. Names remain the same, everything else has been dramatised for US audiences seeking camp dialogue and a total disregard for historical accuracy.

by Anonymousreply 106December 24, 2022 4:48 PM

[quote]everything else has been dramatised for US audiences seeking camp dialogue and a total disregard for historical accuracy

It's based on a *play*, r106. It isn't a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 107December 24, 2022 5:55 PM

Dumbass incoming at R107.

by Anonymousreply 108December 24, 2022 5:58 PM

Honestly, does anybody think Shakespeare's plays were based on "historical accuracy"? Are you kidding me with this nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 109December 24, 2022 6:03 PM

Project much, r108?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 24, 2022 6:31 PM

Bette Davis as Eleanor of Aquitaine would've been a camp riot.

by Anonymousreply 111December 24, 2022 9:33 PM

Joan Crawford as Eleanor

by Anonymousreply 112December 25, 2022 12:50 AM

It is best enjoyed to watch Becket then The Lion in Winter.

by Anonymousreply 113December 25, 2022 1:12 AM

Someone should do a loose remake of this about The Trumps and call it The Lyin' in Winter

by Anonymousreply 114December 25, 2022 5:45 AM

Or the Lying-Ass Grifter

by Anonymousreply 115December 25, 2022 6:27 AM

Good God! It's Hepburn at her worst. Where she really shines is in Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 116December 25, 2022 6:36 AM

R109. Are you going to compare Shakespeare's genius with the Goldmans' boy from Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 117December 25, 2022 7:09 AM

WHET John Castle?

by Anonymousreply 118December 25, 2022 7:12 AM

I could never watch the movie again and take it seriously after seeing this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 25, 2022 7:15 AM

Holiday holds up beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 120December 25, 2022 7:15 AM

I was thinking of viewing this over the holidays, is it streaming anywhere, I couldn’t find it?

by Anonymousreply 121December 25, 2022 7:36 AM

Watch it here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 25, 2022 8:05 AM

Thanks, r122!

by Anonymousreply 123December 25, 2022 8:09 AM

Lovely score

by Anonymousreply 124December 27, 2022 1:23 AM

R119, that was hysterical

by Anonymousreply 125December 27, 2022 1:28 AM

R119 Yes, that was hysterical and accurate.

Burton and O'Toole were both ranters.

Burton occasional did two sentences in sotto voce and then returned to his monotonous ranting. Only strong directors could contain them which is why they both threw their careers away playing in rubbish with weak directors.

by Anonymousreply 126December 27, 2022 2:21 AM

Scenery chewing at its most delightful. I love how caustic everyone is.

by Anonymousreply 127December 27, 2022 3:52 AM

Haven't seen the film and saw a community theater production so long ago I can't remember many particulars.

But it's fascinating to see that, among various DL posters, this seems to have elicited quite the love it or hate it reaction.

by Anonymousreply 128December 27, 2022 3:59 AM

[quote] the love it or hate it reaction.

Young people are swayed by the lavish costumes and scenery.

Mature people are appalled at the blatant scenery-chewing.

by Anonymousreply 129December 27, 2022 4:03 AM

I love how cunty everybody in this movie is to each other.

by Anonymousreply 130December 27, 2022 4:06 AM

Scenery chewing can be very entertaining. It's what makes some actors so memorable and loved. Pacino, Plummer, Davis, Crawford, Burton. All faaaaamous scenery chewers.

by Anonymousreply 131December 27, 2022 4:09 AM

Scenery chewers belong in scenery-chewing movies.

They are trashy and camp.

by Anonymousreply 132December 27, 2022 4:12 AM

Well...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 27, 2022 4:17 AM

This film reminds me of every Christmas with my family. We are all high-camp scenery chewers.

by Anonymousreply 134December 27, 2022 4:19 AM

The costumes in this film are anything but lavish.Everyone but Hepburn wears the same thing through the film and they all look dirty.

by Anonymousreply 135December 27, 2022 6:05 PM

[quote] all look dirty.

Why does king and his royal family look so dirty?

What is there no palace? Why no courtiers?

Because this mess was dreamt up by a nobody from Chicago.

This Goldman-guy from Chicago was trying to imitate Bertolt Brecht (see R45) who was fashionable back in the 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136December 27, 2022 8:37 PM

Laundromats didn't gain popularity until the next century, r135.

by Anonymousreply 137December 27, 2022 9:03 PM

[quote]R136: Why does king and his royal family look so dirty?

Because it was the Middle Ages, and Christianity taught that personal filth was a measure of virtuous piety.

'Becket' (1964) depicts Thomas as having instructed Henry to bathe, but apparently it didn't take. In 'Lion,' Henry is never seen to bathe (save splashing ice water on his face), and his son John is singled out as being particularly unclean (a "walking pustule").

[quote]What is there no palace? Why no courtiers?

You didn't watch the film.

Typical of socks who come here to smear shit on films they haven't themselves seen.

by Anonymousreply 138December 28, 2022 1:55 AM

It's a Christmas during the Little Ice Age. Excessive washing during those unheated centuries would have been an invitation to pneumonia.

by Anonymousreply 139December 28, 2022 4:18 AM

[quote]R139: It's a Christmas during the Little Ice Age. Excessive washing during those unheated centuries would have been an invitation to pneumonia.

The 'Little Ice Age' didn't begin until nearly a century later than this film is set (1183 CE falls within what's called "the medieval warm period").

And no one is calling for "excessive washing." Just a little hygiene would have gone a long way.

You were opposed to masking during the Pandemic, I bet. You're one of the gay-hating socks pontificating on George Takei's supposed "creepiness" on that thread, and before that, you started another thread screaming about the "antifa goon" in Atlanta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140December 28, 2022 5:08 PM

WTF is this shit about complaining about people not bathing in the Middle Ages? Don't you know history? People didn't bathe very often back then.

If we had a time machine and could go back to the Middle Ages, we would be overwhelmed by the disgusting hygiene and sanitary conditions. Even people at the highest levels of society lived in conditions we would consider unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 141December 28, 2022 5:32 PM

R141, that is a historical fallacy. Bathing didn’t fall out of vogue until later. Peasants bathed daily at home and weekly at a bath house. Royalty bathed even more often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 28, 2022 8:05 PM

Peasants did a whore bath daily, not a full bath. The bath houses, or "stews," were disgusting. The water wasn't changed and a person just got into a wooden tub of water that the last person had just used. It wasn't like a modern bathhouse at all.

by Anonymousreply 143December 28, 2022 8:22 PM

John Castle was so hot in this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 28, 2022 8:42 PM

It's just a bunch of theater stars and Katharine Hepburn dressed up in burlap robes making bitchy put-downs and touching each other's emotional sore spots.

It should have been called "Who's Afraid of Eleanor of Aquitaine?" (or "The Boys in the Band Go Medieval").

by Anonymousreply 145December 28, 2022 8:44 PM

Unwatchable

by Anonymousreply 146December 28, 2022 8:54 PM

[quote]R142: that is a historical fallacy. Bathing didn’t fall out of vogue until later. Peasants bathed daily at home and weekly at a bath house. Royalty bathed even more often.

There's a couple of problems with your source, Tony. One is that 'Dr' Eleanor Janega (who emphasizes her own honorific) is the one dealing with a later period, the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries (her specialty is the 𝑙𝑎𝑡𝑒 medieval period).

Another is that she seems to be part of a relatively recent trend in scholarship towards apologetics on behalf of the historical Roman Catholic Church, whitewashing both it and the medieval period in general (to any extent that the Church or Christianity can be seen to have been responsible) of charges of ignorance and atrocity ('Christians did not destroy books or knowledge, but instead preserved it;' 'the Middle Ages were not filthy, but clean;' 'the so-called Dark Ages were not dark,' etc.). It's a bit ironic that one of her attributed specialties is said to be 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑝𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑎, since she may well be disseminating some. (That she sprinkles her blog output with profanity does not make her more 'hep,' but is rather more characteristic of the rhetorical aggression practiced by many of these self-appointed champion scholars of the Church.)

The paintings and illustrations offered by Janega, late though they are, do not depict the daily activities of everyone, but rather the wealthier classes. The bathing practices were likely depicted because they were regarded as unusual, rather than common.

In the Middle Ages, Christian monks often advocated the discipline of 𝑎𝑙𝑜𝑢𝑠𝑖𝑎, the state of being unwashed. Lice were called "the pearls of God."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 28, 2022 8:57 PM

The turd in the toilet 💩

by Anonymousreply 148December 28, 2022 8:59 PM

The alternative cast:

Henry II- Alan Bates

Eleanor- Barbara Stanwyck

Richard the Lionheart- Albert Finney

John- Tom Courtenay

Geoffrey- Derek Jacobi

Prince Philip- Michael Jayston

Alais- Britt Ekland

The Bishop- Reginald Owen

Captain Marshall- Leo McKern

by Anonymousreply 149December 28, 2022 9:06 PM

On the dark web you can still find there's Helen Lawson's two scenes as Eleanor - the arrival on the river and then the pull-up-the-drawbridge gag that got her fired.

by Anonymousreply 150December 29, 2022 12:33 AM

R147 That’s interesting and closer to my understanding of that era. But how did you ever find a way to use italics here? You must be top computational scientist posting from a some lab, maybe DARPA or someplace like that.

by Anonymousreply 151December 29, 2022 12:07 PM

[quote]Peasants did a whore bath daily

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 152December 29, 2022 12:10 PM

[quote]R151: But how did you ever find a way to use italics here?

Datalounge has an established way to use italic and bold; just click on 'Help' in the upper right hand corner, and then 'More Help.' There is a list of FAQs, with the last one being instructions on 'Post Formatting,' which will tell you how to do it.

That said, I don't like to use DL formatting, because it's extremely easy to screw up and not get the result you want. I typically use a free outside online text source, like Yaytext. It has several options, although using combination fonts like Bold / italic (serif) often does not display properly here; it's buggy with certain letter characters. But 'italic' and 'bold' work fine.

Still other free online text links will permit you to do a few different fonts which will display here, do underlined words or strikethroughs, perhaps even upside-down text.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 29, 2022 2:55 PM

Great film

by Anonymousreply 154September 1, 2023 1:25 AM

R153 People who are obsessed with archaic knowledge are bores.

by Anonymousreply 155September 1, 2023 1:30 AM

This film is boring

by Anonymousreply 156September 1, 2023 1:39 AM

The end where they are laughing and waving - the whole thing is just a huge game between them, albeit one that was also deadly serious.

"Let's deny them all and live forever!" "Tusk to tusk for all eternity!"

Yes, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 157September 1, 2023 2:00 AM

Thank you, R177, John Castle was indeed gorgeous, I’ve had a retrospective crush on him for years, amd he aged into middle age very nicely.

by Anonymousreply 158September 1, 2023 3:13 AM

I'm sorry, but Hepburn is ridiculous in this. That bizarre, leering grin plastered on her face through most of it is, well, bizarre. I doubt medieval queens let alone Eleanor of Aquitaine swanned around their castles grinning like they're shooting a Crest commercial. Her intentionally shrill voice and characteristically mannered up to HERE performance grates even more than usual. Just complete cinematic dreck. Never understood the love for this film.

by Anonymousreply 159September 1, 2023 3:05 PM

R159 revoking your gay card

by Anonymousreply 160September 1, 2023 5:32 PM

My husband would have this on a 24 hour loop if he could. Makes me insane. I seem to be the only gay who is NOT enchanted by this movie or Hepburn. Take away my gay card.

by Anonymousreply 161September 1, 2023 6:01 PM

Revoke away r160. But r159 gets to keep the toaster oven.

by Anonymousreply 162September 2, 2023 12:55 PM

This shit is coming up on TCM today

by Anonymousreply 163December 22, 2023 8:04 PM

I’m watching this until my boyfriend gets home.

by Anonymousreply 164December 22, 2023 10:28 PM

Who cares about the scenery chewing? the movie is great fun to watch. If only they had gone a bit further with Philip and Richard...

by Anonymousreply 165December 23, 2023 1:10 AM

It's a costume drama, so of course, much of the acting won't be subtle. Hepburn & O'Toole obviously had a good time with this, which gives it some energy.

by Anonymousreply 166December 23, 2023 1:24 AM

I'll take Beckett any day over Lion. Hepburn was always too shrill.

by Anonymousreply 167December 23, 2023 1:41 AM

Becket

by Anonymousreply 168December 23, 2023 2:20 AM

"WILL YOU LET ME OUT FOR EASTUHHHHH!???"

by Anonymousreply 169December 23, 2023 2:30 AM

Hate this movie and dislike all Hepburn except early career, when all her mannerisms were charming and chic.

by Anonymousreply 170December 23, 2023 3:39 AM

Oh, I love this film. My parents went to the Irish premiere and I still have the programme. The script lends itself to endless reuse: "What would you have me do? Give out? Give up? Give in??" That and, "How about eternal peace?" get said the most around here.

Hammy, dysfunctional family fun for all, and agreed, R124, a beautiful score.

by Anonymousreply 171December 23, 2023 7:07 AM

Apologies, R52, you remarked on the loveliness of the score too.

O'Toole and Hepburn got along famously and for years after, would prank each other by leaving a sword (? someone please correct me) from the film in the other's dressing room or hotel room if timing and opportunity presented itself. This was Hepburn's first film after Spencer Tracy died and O'Toole must have reminded her enough of the old man that she enjoyed sparring with him.

by Anonymousreply 172December 23, 2023 7:18 AM

Who goes to a movie for historical accuracy? That's for documentaries.

The original Broadway cast looks interesting. Robert Preston and Rosemary Harris.

Yes John Castle was unbelievably gorgeous. He should have had a great career but then for some reason seems to have disappeared. Maybe doing theater in England? My favorite line is Hepburn's to him 'Well well what shall we do with mother.'

by Anonymousreply 173December 23, 2023 8:27 AM

I love the instant scenery chewing, salacious content and Timothy Dalton.

by Anonymousreply 174December 23, 2023 3:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!