Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thousands of Teens Are Being Pushed Into Military’s Junior R.O.T.C.

Wow! Absolutely horrendous. Of course, mainly in minority communities where parents often don’t have the social power to push back effectively. Imagine how much better it would be if kids were put in mandatory “become a doctor, nurse, lawyer, or engineer” class. Sorry this is behind a paywall.

“In high schools across the country, students are being placed in military classes without electing them on their own. “The only word I can think of is ‘indoctrination,’” one parent said.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2022 8:40 PM

Every child will not grow up to be a doctor, nurse or engineer. The military has been an option for many disadvantaged kids to leave bad communities and to have a decent life. However, kids should be given options.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2022 12:27 PM

Hmmm. A program that will instill discipline and responsibility? Must be terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2022 2:35 PM

[quote]In states that have allowed J.R.O.T.C. to be used as an alternative graduation credit, some schools appear to have saved money by using the course as an alternative to hiring more teachers in subjects such as physical education or wellness.

This is the real story here, and Im surprised the writer of this LONG article didn't expound on this. There are huge shortages of teachers across the country. This is an easy way for the states and school administrators to have coverage, instead of putting more effort and more money into recruiting real teachers. It's also an easy gig for veterans, no weekends or holidays and they can do this as a side job. Benefits everyone except the kids who it's supposed to benefit.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2022 2:36 PM

The military should be a choice. Just because a kid is from a marginalized background doesn't mean they can't aspire to be a doctor, lawyer and other things. If they show they are gifted and hard-working, we need to provide financial support. The education system is so corrupt and classist it's sickening.

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2022 2:44 PM

[Quote] Every child will not grow up to be a doctor, nurse or engineer. The military has been an option for many disadvantaged kids to leave bad communities and to have a decent life.

Why shouldn’t these kids be exposed to subjects that can lead to being a doctor, nurse, or engineer. Instead they’re seen as an easy pipeline to beef up the military.

Funny how the DLers who are opposed to surrogacy because it “takes advantage of poor people” aren’t against this too.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2022 3:10 PM

[Quote] There are huge shortages of teachers across the country. This is an easy way for the states and school administrators to have coverage, instead of putting more effort and more money into recruiting real teachers.

There’s a shortage of funding for schools which leads to a shortage of teachers. In the NYC suburbs, teachers get paid over $100k each. I assure you there is no shortage of excellent teachers there.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2022 3:12 PM

Yes, it’s indoctrination.

The schools and the military are just thinking: this are brown kids who have no hope in life. Instead to doing all we can to give them hope, let’s stick them in the military to get killed for freedumb

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2022 3:37 PM

Reprehensible. Public school is already too much of a pipeline to for-profit prisons. Poor kids have to buck the odds to not end up being human chattle.

Reminds me of how in HS we were rounded up and forced to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test. I was shocked to learn later that was NOT a mandatory test, though it was presented to us as one.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2022 3:57 PM

No, kids should not be forced into Junior ROTC.

However, for kids that do follow that route they can still become a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or scientist within the service if they show promise in that area.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote]In the NYC suburbs, teachers get paid over $100k each.

For those of you not on the coasts, that's equivalent to making $35,000 per yr in your city.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2022 4:10 PM

[quote]However, for kids that do follow that route they can still become a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or scientist within the service if they show promise in that area.

So, those are the only worthy professions? Why not Broadway performer?

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2022 4:12 PM

I remember when I was graduating from high school, military recruiters kept calling my parents.

My mom simply said, “He’s smarter than that.”

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2022 5:59 PM

[Quote] So, those are the only worthy professions? Why not Broadway performer?

The parents don’t want their kids to starve and hook up constantly Grindr

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2022 6:00 PM

Back in the 2000s, D!sney Channel tried to glamourise and soften ROTC when they made 'Cadet Kelly' with Hilary Duff. Guess it didn't take, so the @rmy had to go harder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2022 7:37 PM

R14 Who can forgot Disney Channel's 9/11 propaganda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2022 7:47 PM

My ex was in Naval Junior ROTC. I’m not sure if it did him any good. After high school his mom died, he became a bad alcoholic, ghosted his jobs. By the time we met he was too far gone for any semblance of true recovery. Passed away in June, he was 32 years old.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2022 7:49 PM

R15 the Lawrence Bros. are himbo flagshagging morons, but they were gorgeous back then.

How was Frankie Muniz affiliated with the Mouse? Was 'Malcolm in the Middle' one of their properties originally, or did they buy it? Or did Frankie do a DCOM that I never caught?

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2022 7:51 PM

R17 These were shot when Disney Channel still didn't develop it's distinctive identity. They were rebranding around this time to emphasize original programming and phasing out syndicated repeats and Disney cartoons. So they didn't have enough in-house talent yet for these bumpers. They pulled anyone that was popular with kids and teens like Melissa Joan Hart, Beverly Mitchell and Frankie Muniz to fill in the gaps. By the time of That's So Raven, Suite Life and Phil of the Future, they had Cheetah Girls, Jesse McCartney, Aly and AJ and a slew of other ingrown talent.

Malcolm in the Middle wasn't Disney related. It was on Fox. Technically Disney owns it now but that was decades after these bumpers

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2022 8:25 PM

Lambs to the slaughter.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2022 8:33 PM

R17 Also I want to add I watched this video the other night by a YouTube channel called Defunctland that does documentary style vids on nostalgia topics. He had a video called " Disney Channel's Theme: A History Mystery" and gave an excellent history of the channel. Andrea Taylor was the person who took over the marketing around 2000 and rebranded the network and she mentioned she purposely would plan out bumpers to get children interested in topics pertaining to new Disney products. Subliminal messaging essentially. A year before The Lizzie McGuire Movie, she heavily pushed for merchandise featuring Lizzie (something I noticed no Disney show prior like So Weird and Jett Jackson had and I think she may have influenced Hilary's pop career). Taylor also said a year before Finding Nemo, the channel aired bumpers with fish related trivia. It's not surprising Cadet Kelly and Tiger Cruise (with Hayden Panitierre), both military themed, aired close after 9/11. As a kid who watched this network, it's clear as day how much subliminal messaging I may have taken in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2022 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!