Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bolognese Sauce Help

I've been trying to make my own bolognese sauce from scratch, and I just can't seem to get it right.

In the past, it's always been Prego or Ragu.

Recently though, I've been trying to do it "from scratch," including canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.

But the pH balance always comes out wrong. It's either too sour or not seasoned enough.

I always use a simple recipe. Ground hamburger or pork, onions, garlic, black olives, and then salt, black pepper, a little bit of sugar, italian seasoning, dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and crushed red pepper.

Trust me when I say I load up on the seasonings. I taste along the way, and it always needs more seasoning. And inevitably, I always go too far and end up putting in too much salt or sugar, which pushes it over the edge.

My most recent sauce turned out very "sour," if that makes sense. And I don't know why.

Same recipe as above, but with a touch of brandy, which I thought would make it sweeter but it didn't.

It's funny that salt makes the sauce taste sweeter, and sugar makes the sauce too damned sweet. I have no idea what wine or brandy does to it, but I really think that the tomatoes complete throw off the pH balance of the sauce, and plays with your sense of taste.

Does anyone here have a foolproof recipe, but with simple ingredients?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2023 9:25 PM

You don’t mention your soffritto, which is the basis and a bit time-consuming. I’m guessing lots of people don’t have the patience to really cook down the soffritto, so they don’t get a good result.

You can add all the herbs and spices and garlic powder you like, but it won’t replace the soffritto.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2022 6:49 AM

What recipe are you using? Use wine, not brandy. It needs to cook slowly for hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2022 6:54 AM

I've never heard of soffrito, R1.

That's probably where I'm going wrong.

Is there a fast way to make it?

I usually make my bolognese when I'm in a hurry and have to make a quick dinner.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2022 6:55 AM

The Godmother of Italian cookery, Marcella Hazan, answers everything for you, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2022 6:55 AM

[quote]I usually make my bolognese when I'm in a hurry and have to make a quick dinner.

That's your problem. Real bolognese is not fast. It needs to simmer for hours as does any good, homemade sauce.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2022 6:59 AM

OP, the soffritto isn’t that time-consuming, actually. Just look it up. It’s finely-chopped onion, carrot, and celery. The finer you chop it, the quicker and better, I’m guessing. The carrot should help with the sourness.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2022 6:59 AM

Milk is the key. If you find it's still too acidic (which it shouldn't be), add a tiny pinch of baking soda. Sugar does nothing to reduce acidity.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2022 7:00 AM

A tiny bit of brewed coffee will balance out the acidity,

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2022 7:00 AM

Baking soda!

That's the thing I was thinking of, R7.

Someone on a cooking show mentioned once that it helps balance out the sourness of tomato soup, and makes a world of difference.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2022 7:03 AM

I add a little vermouth to mine.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2022 7:05 AM

Why don't you post the recipe you're using? The amount of tomato in bolognese should not be making your sauce acidic. It's not a marinara. You need to use broth.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2022 7:07 AM

Yeah, it makes a huge difference without adding any sweetness, R9. It's easy to overdo it, so it's best to add it incrementally and taste after every addition.

Bolognese isn't supposed to be too tomatoey, so it shouldn't be very acidic in the first place if you're using the right recipe.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2022 7:09 AM

Lose the olives.

Simple recipe:

Just chop an onion as fine as you can get it, saute that in a couple table spoons of olive oil or whatever oil you have, add like a pound of ground beef to it, toss it around while breaking it up with the spoon until it's no longer pink, take out some excess fat with paper towels if you want, then add a can of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce or a bottle of passata and a can of tomato paste, add some black pepper, some oregano if you want and then let it cook on low eat barely bubbling for like 2-3 hrs then add salt to taste. That's sort of like the way my mom who was def not Italian did it but it's very easy. The way I do it is more traditional. You can mince a garlic clove and add with the beef if you want or if you're a garlic powder person add that. Very little. And if you have acid reflux you add a teaspoon of dry mustard to cut the acid so it's safer for you to eat.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2022 7:52 AM

And you want to use beef or 2:1 beef:pork but not just pork. Pork is much sweeter than beef.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2022 7:54 AM

I’d offer my help, but only if you thank me in person & via text.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2022 7:59 AM

And if you aren't sure about the salt just start with a teaspoon and just add more until it tastes good then let it sit or simmer for at least 30 min to balance it out. Generally going to take two tsp.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2022 8:03 AM

Already prepared for the hate but you wanted a simple recipe so...

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2022 8:17 AM

What's your number, Harry/R15.

Will you give me a "private lesson?"

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2022 8:46 AM

I only use a couple of teaspoons of salt at first because as the sauce reduces, the salt taste will be stronger. When the sauce is almost done, add more salt to taste. If you like a spicy sauce, add a pinch or two of cayenne.

Also, I like to use Italian sweet sausage in place of the pork. I would never use "Italian seasonings." Instead I use oregano, basil, fennel seeds, thyme and bay leaf.

For the tomatoes I use at least half a small can of tomato paste, a large can of whole tomatoes (San Marzano if you can get them), a can of tomato sauce and about one tomato can's worth of water. The sauce will thicken as it cooks down, which takes at least a couple of hours. Bring it just to a simmer, keep the heat on low and stir occasionally. You don't want the sauce to burn.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2022 8:53 AM

Add an anchovy or two and finish with a pat of butter.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2022 8:55 AM

Do not add fennel seeds.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2022 8:57 AM

Add a table spoon of dijon mustard.

Thank me later.

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2022 8:58 AM

Definitely use red wine. Cabernet, Pinot Noir, or Chianti.

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2022 9:22 AM

As stated, Bolognese doesn’t contain a ton of tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2022 2:25 PM

R24 one regular sized can of diced tomatoes is not "a ton" of tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2022 7:11 PM

THe kind of tomatoes you use is very important. I use Cento. I also use Muir Glen (Martha Stewart's favorite. And I add fresh tomatoes, like Compari or the sweet cherry tomatoes, cut in two. They add sweetness.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2022 7:14 PM

I didn't think garlic was part of a Bolognese sauce. I know you all will correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you mix lean ground beef and ground pork for Bolognese.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2022 7:15 PM

Don't bother. I wasted a day making Marcella Hazen's recipe, which was regarded as the gold standard of bolognese sauces. It came out OK and that's it. Not much of it, certainly edible, but definitely not worth all the time and effort.

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2022 7:42 PM

R27 I think that garlic is an essential part of all Italian food.

Especially a marinara or tomato based sauce.

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2022 7:42 PM

This is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2022 7:54 PM

What ever you do OP, DO. NOT. RINSE. YOUR. PASTA! The people here will have a canary!

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2022 8:30 PM

I know garlic is important, and I use it all the time with my Italian recipes, but one of the things that struck me about the authentic Bolognese was no garlic. Now maybe it was just that recipe, but I was told by an experienced cook that no, you don't put it in Bolognese. Bolognese is a totally different process than most sauces. Personally I don't like the addition of milk or cream. But it is a key part of the Bolognese.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2022 10:59 PM

In my recent thread on delicious gnocchi (that had to be deleted because there were so many false and stupid comments, in particular by some goon saying he enjoyed hurting me with his words!), someone had posted something about a Bolognese recipe that required a bit more work than other recipes. Does anyone know more about this? I am very curious whose recipe was being promoted.

I usually make Marcella’s and like it very much.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 33March 16, 2023 7:55 PM

The comment was;

[quote] Here's her Bolognese recipe, somewhat more complicated than most.

Anyone remember this?

by Anonymousreply 34March 16, 2023 7:59 PM

Please look at me know if you’d like my really easy and delicious gnocchi recipe. I provide a very thorough procedure to follow. The end result is magical!

by Anonymousreply 35March 16, 2023 8:00 PM

Oh, dear!

That should have said,

[quote] Please let me know …

by Anonymousreply 36March 16, 2023 8:01 PM

I think it may have been Barbara Lynch’s Bolognese recipe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 16, 2023 8:11 PM

Try using a mix of pork, veal, and beef instead of just beef.

by Anonymousreply 38March 16, 2023 8:17 PM

Marcella may have been. well, occasionally bitchy, but she never was wrong about cookery. Or just about anything else.

by Anonymousreply 39March 16, 2023 8:23 PM

This is pretty much how most people in Italy make it. Definitely no olives, no garlic. It's not that complicated. I use bacon to create the grease at beginning and I use Italian sausage which adds some fennel flavoring. No idea if the sausages they use in Italy actually taste like that. Also I would advise not to brown the ground meat completely because they turn into little pebbles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 16, 2023 8:28 PM

I love Marcella’s recipe and make it all the time. But I also love Barbara Lynch’s food and so am tempted to try her recipe. Is anyone familiar with both recipes? Just looking for comments from people who may know how they compare. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 41March 16, 2023 8:36 PM

Virtually every ingredient OP lists is not in real Bolognese sauce. Not tomatoes, not "Italian Seasoning" (whatever that is), not those abominations onion and garlic powder, not sugar, not dried parsley (another abomination) and not olives.

Love him or hate him, Mario Battali has the most authentic recipe for Bolognese that I know. It's on the internet, so you don't need to buy his cookbooks.

by Anonymousreply 42March 16, 2023 8:54 PM

You better like animal "funk" if you use Lynch, because she calls for ground lamb AND chicken livers.

I would pass on her recipe.

by Anonymousreply 43March 16, 2023 8:56 PM

I've made Marcella's Bolognese sauce twice and I found it a bit bland. Extra salt seems to help.

by Anonymousreply 44March 16, 2023 9:01 PM

Chicken livers in a Bolognese provide a richness to the proceedings. I happen to love chicken livers, so that is not a deal breaker for me. And my mother and grandmother always put some lamb neck or shoulder in their Sunday sauce—which I like very much.

by Anonymousreply 45March 16, 2023 9:02 PM

I use sweet tomatoes and I don't add any sugar and only use half a teaspoon of sea salt. I add onions, garlic, the German version of Soffritto (more root vegetables), artichoke hearts (kept in oil), sun-dried tomatoes (kept in oil). I put the sweet tomatoes, artichoke hearts and the sun-dried tomatoes in a blender. I start with putting the onions and garlic in the hot pan, add the root vegetables for a quick minute, then add the beef and pork mix, then add the mix from the blender and then add the salt, a bit of pepper, and the Herbs of Provence. Then I let it simmer for at least an hour. Around 20 minutes, before the sauce is ready, I start to heat up the pot to cook the pasta. I serve with shredded Parmigiano Reggiano on top.

by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2023 9:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!