Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

After Midterm Elections, Democrats Suddenly Have a Strong Presidential Bench

[QUOTE]While Biden is likely to run again, party strategists are excited the “bridge to a new generation” is under construction and that there are options beyond Kamala Harris and Pete Buttigieg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 26, 2023 3:11 PM

YASSSS!

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 11:05 PM

Shaprio/Warnock would be a good ticket.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 11:20 PM

I don't quite understand this push for diversity to have a black person on the ticket when we had an African descendant American on the president for 8 years?

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 11:30 PM

[QUOTE] I don't quite understand this push for diversity to have a black person on the ticket when we had an African descendant American on the president for 8 years?

I wouldn’t expect you to understand it, comrade.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 11:45 PM

I don't get the push for Mark Kelly. He doesn't have much political experience at this point.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2022 12:37 AM

I wonder if Jared Polis would ever attempt a POTUS run.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2022 12:48 AM

Comparing all the possible Democratic presidential candidates after the midterms, seriously, Fetterman would have to be considered the best of that lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2022 5:56 AM

Mark Kelly is ugly as fuck. Not an uplifting speaker.

Warnock would be amazing on a ticket

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 6:10 AM

Funny the article doesn't mention 2 Southern Democrats who look like likely contenders: Sen. Jon Ossoff and Gov. Andy Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 6:12 AM

Warnock? Doesn't he have domestic violence issues? That won't fly.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2022 6:31 AM

Dems still haven't realized that what is required for future success is leadership and direction, not box ticking.

[quote] Funny the article doesn't mention 2 Southern Democrats who look like likely contenders: Sen. Jon Ossoff

Americans will never, ever elect a Jew as President. Especially one with relatives in Israel.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2022 6:43 AM

Abrams/O'Rourke!

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2022 6:44 AM

I think a lot of this is premature. Gretchen Whitmer has shown she really has chops, but a lot of these people--Warnock, Mark Kelly,--do not have much experience in national office, while others--Ben Shapiro, Maura Healey--have yet to even serve in their new offices.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 6:51 AM

The only name you need to know is Wes Moore.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2022 8:17 AM

I like Jon Ossoff and Ben Shapiro, but I've always been partial to strong intelligent Jews, I don't plan it that way, it just happens. Gretchen Whitmer is a strong contender, too...

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2022 9:18 AM

I'm a fan of Gretchen Whitmer's style, let alone Whitmer herself.

And, I echo all of R15 as well right down to the signature. I am starting to have some confidence that Democrats might be able to keep it going into the next decade. I'm still skeptical, but I can feel some sense of possibility.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2022 10:44 AM

R12 No Beto is a kiss of death.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2022 12:11 PM

Beto can’t win statewide in Texas

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2022 12:20 PM

[quote]Funny the article doesn't mention 2 Southern Democrats who look like likely contenders: Sen. Jon Ossoff and Gov. Andy Beshear.

Well it is HuffPo. It's not like they know what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 12:28 PM

Don't forget Stacey Abrams!

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2022 12:28 PM

R6 Agreed. I wish he was cuter, though.

Isn't he married to that lady from Happy Days?

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2022 12:32 PM

No preachers for prez, please.

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2022 12:38 PM

Stacy Abrams can't win a governorship in a state where everyone supposedly loves her. Why doesn't she run for congress. That will give her more national exposure.

She is too far left. That ain't gonna float in a presidential election. Did you notice how little Joe discussed, let alone emphasized, during the campaign much of what he has ended up doing on the far left? Joe won by keeping his mouth shut and letting people think he was a traditional liberal Democrat who was NOT TRUMP. You think that will work again?

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2022 12:47 PM

But Stacey Abrams is a great organizer!

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2022 1:08 PM

Most of these people have little political experience in the US and no international expertise. It’s a weak group which is why Biden will probably be the Dem candidate again.

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2022 1:49 PM

[quote]when we had an African descendant American on the president for 8 years?

I did not have sexual relations with that African descendant American.

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2022 2:11 PM

R13, go back to 2007 and tell Senator Obama he isn't experienced enough. He "doesn't have the chops" to run for PResident. It isn't his time....

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2022 2:22 PM

DL chooses candidates like it's Tinder or Scruff.

by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2022 2:39 PM

Look. Can we try to move away from the MEdia's PErsonality Game? I'm going to keep voting for Democrats. Period. Up and down the ticket. While the Corporate Media wants us too focused on the PResidential Circus to pay attention to local elections, the Republicans have been dominating Governors legislatures and Secretary of State offices. We have state courts all fucked up too. And the school boards. It's not glamorous but that's where the action is. Get involved with your local Democratic Party. Because all the mischief and suppression, and bad shit is happening at the state level.

If Biden runs I am there. I'd rather vote for his corpse than a Republican. And yes, I will vote for Harris who they have demonized worse even than Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2022 2:44 PM

[quote]If Biden runs I am there. I'd rather vote for his corpse than a Republican. And yes, I will vote for Harris

The point is those may not (should not?) be the only choices. No one here is saying vote for a Republican. We’re saying we need the best candidates possible who are capable of beating whoever runs on their side. And Kamala ain’t it.

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2022 2:49 PM

Oh, come on, who doesn't want four years of a president who giggles awkwardly at inappropriate moments?

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2022 2:53 PM

YES to: Gretchen Whitmer, Raphael Warnock, Gavin Newsom

NO to: Beto, Stacey Abrams, Kamala Harris

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2022 2:59 PM

Whitmer won't run for POTUS. She may be in line to take Stabenow's Senate Seat.

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2022 3:03 PM

When I hear presidential bench I imagine something like this.

44.5k OBO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2022 3:04 PM

[quote] Mark Kelly is ugly as fuck. Not an uplifting speaker.

I watched that CNN Gabby Giffords documentary a few weeks ago. I noticed in the documentary he tried to make himself look like an uplifting speaker, but at times he came off bland or trying too hard. The documentary tried to paint Mark as a suave handsome astronaut, but in the wedding pics he looked like a bag of vanilla pudding in his Naval dress uniform. Looks at pics of Kelly when he had a mustache, he looked like a creepy perv.

by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2022 6:56 PM

How good is his cackle? People love that.

by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2022 7:30 PM

[quote]Abrams/O'Rourke!

Lose/Lose!

by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2022 8:00 PM

[quote]who doesn't want four years of a president who giggles awkwardly at inappropriate moments?

It’s hard to believe she was a successful prosecutor. I wonder if she ever started cackling in the middle of a rape trial?

by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2022 8:01 PM

[quote][R13], go back to 2007 and tell Senator Obama he isn't experienced enough. He "doesn't have the chops" to run for PResident. It isn't his time....

There were a reasonable number of Hillary supporters who go didn’t think he was experienced enough and stayed home in 2008. Fortunately, he turned out the black vote, and Sarah Palin turned off enough independent voters that Obama was able to win.

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2022 8:05 PM

And Obama had stardust. He overcame his political and experience deficits with a power of message that brought out the slumbering optimism in Americans (well, the ones who voted for him.) He was a rare candidate - Clinton was one, like it or not so was Reagan, Kennedy, FDR.) Those guys don't come along all that often in the process.

by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2022 8:15 PM

You're right, R40, they don't, but when they do, they're usually Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2022 9:17 PM

Hopefully Andy Beshear stays in Kentucky. He makes Al Gore look like Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2022 11:07 PM

Wow

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2022 11:10 PM

[quote]There were a reasonable number of Hillary supporters who go didn’t think he was experienced enough and stayed home in 2008. Fortunately, he turned out the black vote, and Sarah Palin turned off enough independent voters that Obama was able to win.

Bitch, don't try and make it seem like it was some fluke of history that Obama won the 2008 election.

First and foremost, you are vastly overstating the impact that disaffected and deranged Hillbots had on the general election. Did a small contingent stamp their feet and stay home? Yes. But I would put their number in the thousands, and not in the five-digit thousands either. Grow up.

Second of all, Obama would have won whether Sarah Palin was on the ticket or not. Obama was leading in polls before either vice presidential candidate was announced, and he was leading afterwards. Sarah Palin actually gave John McCain a bump after his convention. But it was never nearly enough to overtake Obama.

Barack Obama was always going to win that election and when he won, it was not by a scrape. It was 365 electoral votes to 173 for McCain. Barack Obama got TEN MILLION more votes than John McCain, 54% to 47%.

That's as close as it gets to a landslide in the modern era. Don't you dare try and take that away from him, you deranged Klan Granny.

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2022 11:25 PM

Almost made your case well there, R44, but you tripped at the end.

by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2022 11:40 PM

[quote]Hopefully Andy Beshear stays in Kentucky. He makes Al Gore look like Robin Williams.

OK, explain that for me.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2022 11:40 PM

[quote] There were a reasonable number of Hillary supporters who go didn’t think he was experienced enough and stayed home in 2008.

Hillary supporters have always been nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 47December 8, 2022 11:44 PM

I've never understood how it can be asserted that America is a virulently racist nation, and Obama was elected twice?

by Anonymousreply 48December 8, 2022 11:46 PM

I want Warnock in my deeply.

So he has my vote.

by Anonymousreply 49December 8, 2022 11:48 PM

White gay progressives are still pushing for black (and only black) Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 50December 8, 2022 11:48 PM

Oh, honey, tell us something we don’t already know.

by Anonymousreply 51December 8, 2022 11:49 PM

R51 was meant for r49 and his “I’m a whore” comment.

by Anonymousreply 52December 8, 2022 11:49 PM

I thought R51's post worked well for R50!

by Anonymousreply 53December 8, 2022 11:59 PM

R7 That meme made me laugh. In this pic of young Fetterman, he looks kind of weird, but not creepy like he is today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote] I've never understood how it can be asserted that America is a virulently racist nation, and Obama was elected twice?

Jesus Christ! Can you assholes on the Right please retire this bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2022 1:05 AM

R44 I think the thing that really gave a boost to Obama's campaign was the financial meltdown. There were a number of factors, but we can't ignore the freefalling economy...and McCain's obvious inability to take the initiative and take command of the situation. Obama's coolness and his intelligence were assets in that moment, while Mccain floundered surrounded by Lieberman and Graham.

by Anonymousreply 56December 9, 2022 2:40 AM

There is racism in America, but it doesn't come from whites anymore.

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2022 2:59 AM

Anti-Semitism is still too rampant in this country for a Jewish to be elected president. It's shame because Josh Shapiro seems to have the chops.

by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2022 3:03 AM

[quote]I don't quite understand this push for diversity to have a black person on the ticket

It's not a "push for diversity." If you were to do a completely race-blind evaluation to identify the most talented Democratic politicians in the country, it just so happens at the moment that a bunch of them would be African-American.

The thing about both Raphael Warnock and Mark Kelly is that despite not having much experience, they've each managed to win two elections in states that still lean Republican. That means they're talented politicians.

by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2022 3:17 AM

Experience? Someone is typing from 1988. Americans will elect people to president who have very little or even no political experience. Stop living in the distant past.

by Anonymousreply 60December 9, 2022 4:28 AM

2022's closest Senate races, ordered (& updated):

NV: +0.7% Dem WI: +1.0% GOP GA: +2.8% Dem ---> tipping-point for majority NC: +3.2% GOP AZ: +4.88% Dem PA: +4.91% Dem

Then: OH: +6.6% R. AK: +7.4% Murkowski. NH: +9% D. UT: +10% R. IA: +12% R. MO: +13% R. CO: +14% D. WA: +15% D.

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2022 4:38 AM

No, the 2022 elections aren't over! Louisiana goes to the polls Tuesday, while the runoff for mayor of Austin, TX is Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2022 4:41 AM

This article from a couple weeks ago spelled out every Republucan's fears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2022 4:56 AM

[quote] OK, explain that for me.

Ok, behold the magnetism:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2022 5:04 AM

Top of the ticket: Gretchen Whitmer, Gavin Newsom, or Pete Buttigieg.

VP: John Ossoff or some hottie from Nevada or Arizona

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2022 5:16 AM

[quote] Americans will elect people to president who have very little or even no political experience.

American voters are not looking for leaders, people with "experience", but saviors. Those who can bring order and reason to an angry, violence populace and a country in the throes of disintegration and social collapse. What American voters haven't yet acknowledged is that no mere mortal can accomplish the impossible.

by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2022 5:40 AM

[quote]while others--Ben Shapiro, Maura Healey--have yet to even serve

[quote]I like Jon Ossoff and Ben Shapiro

One thing's for sure, Joshy needs to work on his name recognition :(

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2022 6:06 AM

Martin Heinrich and Jon Ossoff would be the dream ticket. Just thinking about it is enough to make my bussy moist so effusively.

by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2022 6:11 AM

R66, you’re a real fucking idiot. We’re a country in the throes of disintegration and collapse, with dollar, the stock market, and the savings rate at near-historic highs, and with crime levels near historic lows? When we just had one of the highest turnout and most orderly national elections in national history, with barely a whiff of foreign interference after nearly a decade where such interference has run rampant? With nearly $2 trillion dollars in infrastructure improvements and upgrades underway? With unemployment at an all time low and working class wages on the rise?

Dream on, Svetlana.

by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2022 6:43 AM

R69 The US population butchers one another at alarming rates unknown in the rest of the world. Its cities are in decay, its ability to successfully administer itself in decline. It's one of the largest debtor nations on earth. Elections illustrate just how divided the populace is.

by Anonymousreply 70December 9, 2022 8:00 AM

What a neutered, ineffective response. I’m sorry you have a hard on for American power and cultural influence, a force that rules nearly every aspect of your life REGARDLESS OF WHICH COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN. But you will never be us and you will just have to accept that.

by Anonymousreply 71December 9, 2022 8:11 AM

R71 Shooting the messenger. An all-too-common response from Americans and another reason America is on the skids.

by Anonymousreply 72December 9, 2022 8:14 AM

Democrats have about as much chance in 2024 as I have of getting a hot date with Zach Tinker. Sorry Dems.

by Anonymousreply 73December 9, 2022 8:24 AM

^ Zach called, he wants to know what time to pick you up 😏

by Anonymousreply 74December 9, 2022 8:52 AM

R72, keep dreaming. How about you worry about holding your shitty, brittle economic bloc together. Last I checked, one of your biggest members voted themselves out just a few years back. I don’t see too many American states voting to leave the union this century. How are you gonna claim we’re in decline when YOUR union is literally falling apart (and still dependent on US for your security)?

Better get grateful. If America did somehow collapse, you would be collapsing right along with us, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 75December 9, 2022 9:08 AM

R73 - the Democrats are not as miserable and ugly as you are. Just stop loathing your hideous self, and your life will be better.

by Anonymousreply 76December 9, 2022 9:12 AM

[quote] How about you worry about holding your shitty, brittle economic bloc together.

[quote] one of your biggest members voted themselves out just a few years back

[quote] when YOUR union is literally falling apart (and still dependent on US for your security)?

The mother of all ASSUMPTIONS. R72 must be from somewhere else because no red-blooded American would etc. But then ARROGANCE is another all-too-common American trait.

by Anonymousreply 77December 9, 2022 9:23 AM

The great thing about being American is that it doesn’t even matter where you actually live. Everything I said is still applicable.

by Anonymousreply 78December 9, 2022 9:29 AM

The US is not disintegrating. The economy is strong and the middle in politics seems to be holding.

by Anonymousreply 79December 9, 2022 10:35 AM

Yeah, many of us are doing better than ever. I make more money every year and I’m doing fine because I don’t have five kids, a mortgage and a luxury car I have no business driving.

by Anonymousreply 80December 9, 2022 1:30 PM

R7, at least he’s more attractive than you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 9, 2022 1:45 PM

[quote] It's one of the largest debtor nations on earth.

Actually no, not per capita, which is what really counts. The UK is vastly higher for instance. Canada isn’t much lower.

And as the US has the largest GDP in the world (despite having a quarter the population of China), it could solve its debt problem effortlessly — by only moderately raising taxes.

by Anonymousreply 82December 9, 2022 1:54 PM

She votes with Joe Biden 93% of the time, same as Datalounge oracle and hard left Tliab and Elizabeth Warren (who votes 94%) of the time with Biden. The misogyny on this site is palpable.

by Anonymousreply 83December 9, 2022 4:38 PM

Yeah, the Sinema stuff is no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 84December 9, 2022 7:37 PM

[quote]while Mccain floundered

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 85December 9, 2022 9:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 26, 2023 11:13 AM

Wes Moore's wife sort of reminds me of Vivica A. Fox before Viveca messed up her face with fillers and other cosmetic work.

by Anonymousreply 87January 26, 2023 3:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!