Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Leguizamo wasn’t a fan of “white” Al Pacino and playing a Puerto Rican in ‘Carlito’s Way’

Twenty-nine years after getting his big break playing Benny Blanco from the Bronx in Brian De Palma's "Carlito's Way," John Leguizamo still can't get over the "odd experience" of watching Al Pacino in the lead role playing a Puerto Rican.

The movie is based on the 1975 crime novel by Puerto Rican author Torres that follows Pacino's character, Carlito Brigante, a gangster who's released from prison and decides to go straight.

But trying to make money to escape New York City and head down to Florida to live out the rest of his days leads him back to the underworld, where he crosses paths with up-and-comer Benny Blanco (Leguizamo). The two clash, leading to Blanco killing Brigante at the end of the movie.

The role launched Colombia-born Leguizamo up the ranks in Hollywood as he held his own across from the legendary Pacino. But looking back on the experience now, he admits seeing Pacino, who's Italian, trying to be Latin was strange.

"I know he's trying and he's a great actor, so brilliant, he was my hero," Leguizamo told Insider. "But it was odd, man."

"It's an odd experience to be a Latin man in a Latin story written by a Latin man and the lead guy's a white guy pretending to be Puerto Rican," he continued. "I'm not going to lie, it's surreal. It was surreal. I turned the part down a few times and then eventually I decided to do it."

Leguizamo added that "it was a thing of the times." Before "Carlito's Way" Pacino memorably played a Cuban in De Palma's 1983 movie "Scarface."

Things have clearly changed 30 years later, but the actor admits even today he doesn't know if "Carlito's Way" could be made.

"They might not make the movie because you have an all-Latin cast. That's the problem. That's why 'Encanto' is crazy because it was the number one movie in the world, what more proof do you need?" Leguizamo said, noting the Disney hit in which he played the Bruno character. "I'm not seeing the greenlights of those projects. Greenlight the goddamn things."

Leguizamo recently voiced his frustration with the lack of Latin stories being told by Hollywood when he wrote an open letter on the topic in the Los Angeles Times in November.

"'Encanto' being No. 1, Bad Bunny being No. 1 in the world, and election-wise, we have won so many seats as Latin people," he told Insider. "If you get the middle man out of the way we win all the time, but when we have to rely on a studio head's opinion or taste it's when we lose because they don't look like us, they don't get our story, and they won't put us on. I don't understand that."

Leguizamo can be seen in the new movie "Violent Night," which is in theaters now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 28, 2023 7:35 AM

Context. Back in the day, "acting" meant : pretending to be someone you were not IRL.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 3:35 PM

I don't care, do you?

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 3:36 PM

This was 30 years ago, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 3:36 PM

Shut up and take your clothes off, John!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 3:38 PM

R4, I find him very attractive. Especially in Summer of Sam/

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 3:39 PM

R3 the movie was 30 years ago. Yes. But he spoke about it in 2022, making it relevant today.

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2022 3:39 PM

R5 same, I jerked to that movie innumerable times

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 3:40 PM

He’s dumb as a box of rocks. He’s now screaming that Mario in the new Super Mario movie isn’t being played by a LatinX (yes, he uses that). He’s a race-baiter. He thinks we’ve forgotten all the racist comedy material he did years ago. He needs to STFU.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 3:41 PM

says the cis straight male who pretended to be a gay drag queen

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 3:50 PM

All these actors now trying desperately to retcon their own careers and choices are just pathetic. Eddie Redmayne is still one to beat though!

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 3:52 PM

John Leguizamo has always been a terrible performer but now he’s revealing himself to be a terrible person, too.

John, stop talking and get back to acting class.

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2022 3:56 PM

He played gay, a little person, and numerous roles that were not how he identifies. Get back to us when you apologize profusely for appropriating those roles. He needs to stfu

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2022 3:57 PM

r9, talked to someone who worked with him, and told him how much he loved his performance in TWFLJN, and JL told him that he wished he hadn't done that role and how embarrassed he is about it.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2022 3:57 PM

R13 then he needs to be as publicly, vocally contrite about allllll the roles he appropriated as he is in complaining about the actors he has issues with.

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2022 4:01 PM

Then, r13, he needs to be very publicly vocal about how contrite he is for all the roles he (by his logic) appropriated and should not have played.

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2022 4:03 PM

John probably has a production company. He's a producer. He can do a remake.

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2022 4:09 PM

Playing other characters/cultures = ACTING.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2022 4:11 PM

[QUOTE] John probably has a production company. He's a producer. He can do a remake.

If they cast Oscar Isaac as Carlito, it might be a pretty good movie.

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2022 4:13 PM

I saw his one man show. I thought he was a lot smarter than this profound stupidness.

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2022 4:17 PM

Al Pacino is a Southern Italian with comparatively dark coloring for a European white person. He is darker than many PR and Cuban people I've known many who have blue eyes and lighter brown or even blonde hair. Pacino can pass as a member of number of ethnic groups (Semitic, Middle-Eastern, Hispanic.)

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2022 4:18 PM

Leguizamo ain't Puerto Rican either

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2022 4:22 PM

Al was such a cutie in Dog Day Afternoon and Godfather Part I. I will forgive him for anything, even that photo someone posted in another thread of him grabbing his ladyfriend's boob on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2022 4:23 PM

Al Pacino isn't of Italian heritage, he's of Sicilian heritage. There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2022 4:24 PM

Nobody cares what he thinks.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2022 4:30 PM

r23- enlighten me- is that like Taiwanese vs Chinese?

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2022 4:35 PM

[quote] the movie was 30 years ago. Yes. But he spoke about it in 2022, making it relevant today.

No; what's the point of complaining about a non-issue 30 years later?

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2022 4:38 PM

But John played an American of Italian descent in Summer of Sam.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2022 4:43 PM

R23 Yes, I know he is of Sicilian descent but Sicily is an autonomous part of Italy.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2022 5:01 PM

So? Who cares what Jon Legozamo thinks about an AL Pacino performance?

Pacino is an actor, not a documentary enactor.

Legomo is just envious. Pacino's name and face gave the movie, Scarface" a built i, reliable audience. AND he is a great actor, in dramas. Lego has none of those things.

The ultimate goal of movies is to make money, not to find the actor who is the closest possible embodiment of the created lead character. There's no special monetary bonus for movie makers who keep it as real as possible. A famous face and name of a very good actor is what they want and need.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2022 5:13 PM

Mentally ill from Twitter brainwashing

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2022 5:17 PM

It is one thing for White people not to play Asians and Blacks. That is clearly wrong. But Latin and Hispanic are not races. A White person playing a Hispanic person is no different than a White person playing an Italian.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2022 5:22 PM

If Netflix offered John $10 million to star in a series wherein he is to portray a Norwegian, is he going to turn the offer down?

Shut up and sit down, John.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2022 5:37 PM

This bitch again?

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2022 5:49 PM

[quote]is there a difference?

It's some kind of SICILIAN thing!

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2022 5:51 PM

He also came for Penelope Ann Miller in Carlito’s Way, but has since apologized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2022 5:51 PM

He's got more legs than a bucket o'chicken!

by Anonymousreply 36September 28, 2023 4:29 AM

[quote] playing a Puerto Rican in ‘Carlito’s Way’

No way!

by Anonymousreply 37September 28, 2023 4:39 AM

He seems like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 38September 28, 2023 5:33 AM

If Leguizamo is so hungry for 𝘓𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘟 films let him go to Mexico or Spain. They make movies there too.

by Anonymousreply 39September 28, 2023 7:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!