Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn't Jermaine Jackson have a bigger solo career?

He was *perhaps* less charismatic than Michael, but Jermaine's vocal tone was equally good as Michael's--perhaps not as clear and pure, but deeper in feeling and much warmer than Michael's.

His hit solo singles were quite good and catchy, but he never really caught on like Michael, or even Randy.

Was it attitude? I know he was envious of little brother Michael, whose instant charisma was off the charts, but there are plenty of other assholes who become and remain stars. So what's the deal? Plus, he was sexy in a way Mike could never be.

Here he is on "I'll Be There," on second lead vocal. Just stunning and beautiful. It demonstrates the warmth, intimacy and depth I referred to earlier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2022 10:04 PM

He sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 3:34 PM

It's a JerMystery.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 3:39 PM

Because he has no talent.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 3:44 PM

Because none of them were very good alone, minus Michael and later Janet.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 3:44 PM

I agree that he had a very sexy sound, but even before auto-tune, he had a very manufactured sound & was indistinguishable from other singers. He wasn't bad - he just didn't stand out

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 3:48 PM

He didn’t have stand-out songs and his persona/style was pretty forgettable. Janet had splashy songs, splashy style, splashy tabloid intrigue…. Jermaine had none of that.

This diss track is a lot better than it had any right to be but no one wants to hear a Michael diss track from anyone in that grifting family, lol!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2022 3:53 PM

Daddy, they talking about you.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 3:58 PM

Because Tootie Ramsey kept sending him papier mache busts. He just gave up showbiz to avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 4:02 PM

Actually he has a terrible, raspy voice

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 7:18 PM

His Dynamite album was great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 8:38 PM

Another cool song from the Dynamite album

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2022 8:41 PM

Pure 80s pop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2022 8:48 PM

Because he couldn't hold a candle to Michael or Janet, OP. And he didn't have their charisma, either.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2022 8:52 PM

I’d always jam to this song before going out on the town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2022 8:53 PM

Excuse me! Michael and Janet NEVER sang with me!

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2022 8:56 PM

I doubt you'll find many people who honestly think Jermaine's solo albums and singles were as good as Off the Wall or Thriller. I think Michael had become an off-putting weirdo by the time of Bad, and by the time of HIStory even his music pretty much sucked, but he was simply more talented and better at making records than Jermaine was. At his best Michael had a touch of genius that none of the other Jacksons had, though Janet (with a lot of help from Jam-Lewis) came close. He was the natural star of the family and there's a reason he was always promoted as such. When the Jacksons tried to make an album without him (but with Jermaine) in the late '80s it was a big flop.

However, Jermaine is the only one besides Michael and Janet who had anything close to a viable solo career. I don't think I even know the difference between Randy, Marlon, Jackie, and Tito. Rebbie only had "Centipede." LaToya has always been a punchline.

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2022 8:56 PM

R7 He looks like he might be handsome

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2022 8:59 PM

Remember when Tootie had that meltdown when Mrs. Garrison said no to his concert?

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2022 9:35 PM

Jermaine was paired with Whitney in the beginning of her career. In his bio, Clive Davis wrote how MJ tried to undermine his brother's career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2022 9:38 PM

He had the career his talent deserved

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2022 9:38 PM

The superior Jermaine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2022 9:40 PM

r21

The Word Is Out, hunty!

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2022 9:42 PM

Songwriting. Maybe dancing.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2022 9:55 PM

He too greasy

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2022 10:02 PM

Exhibit #1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2022 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!