Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The National Recording Registry

Here is a list of all the albums that are currently persevered in the United States National Recording Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Which albums do you think should be included? Are there any that should be kicked off the list?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 5:50 PM

Wasn’t an album by Janet Jackson (fat) among the first included in this register? Highly dubious.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 8:56 AM

I would have included Linda Ronstadt's Hasten down the Wind. I like it more than Heart like a Wheel. I'm glad they included Canciones de Mi Padre, though.

I would also add The Nightfly, by Donald Fagen. And Leonard Bernstein's first cycle of Mahler Symphonies, on CBS/Sony.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 9:42 AM

I would have chosen Joni Mitchell's Court & Spark rather than For the Roses.

They get a lot of jazz records right: Kind of Blue, Giant Steps, Go, Brilliant Corners, Mingus Ah-Um, Ellington at Newport, Head Hunters, Time Out. They might also have included Bitches Brew.

Glad they included Forever Changes, Graceland, Judy at Carnegie Hall, The Roches.

Wish they'd included the Phil Spector box set, Back to Mono. Or his Christmas album, one of the very few I listen to.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 10:01 AM

[quote] Or his Christmas album, one of the very few I listen to.

I was also disappointed this was not included.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 11:25 AM

I would've added Bobbie Gentry's Ode to Billy Joe album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!