Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL Doctors and Nurses: a question about how fast cancer can overcome someone

In light of Kirstie Alley's death, I was wondering if cancer that advanced would show any abnormal results in routine bloodwork of an unsuspecting patient who had regular (every 6-12 months) checkups.

I saw today that they're saying she had colon cancer, so of course timely colonoscopies are important-- but say she didn't have colonoscopy but still kept regular physicals and bloodwork -- would an advanced cancer not show any signs in any of this?

I have some health anxiety and when I hear of people dying within weeks of discovering they had cancer, I always wonder these things.

Thanks, and apologies for being leas-than articulate right now -- I need to be asleep but I'm wondering about this.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 5:15 PM

*less than articulate

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 5:11 AM

Kirtie was a life long smoker. That makes a big difference.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 5:26 AM

Depends on the age and the cancer. Younger cells turn over fast and tumors grow quicker. Old guys with prostate cancer, on the other hand, usually die of something else.

On the other hand, I knew a woman in her 40s who went to the doctor because her stomach was bothering her and was dead from pancreatic cancer four months later. There's no screening for pancreatic.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 5:50 AM

I saw a podcast video on youtube by an ex-Scientologist who said a high level person like Alley (and I guess Travolta's wife) have to go thru a series of auditing before they can see a doctor. He says they have a high amount of curable cancers that progress during the process to fatality.

In short I don't think you can compare the experience of Alley to yours if you are getting regular checkups.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 5:54 AM

Friend of my family lost a lot of weight & had abdominal pain - diagnosed with colon cancer.

Dead in 5 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 6:41 AM

I had a friend who wasn't feeling well (just flu-like symptoms); went to see the doctor, was diagnosed with liver cancer. Died a week later.

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2022 4:35 PM

Maybe the rule is, if you're feeling unwell -avoid the doctor as much as you can.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 4:51 PM

My bf’s father died from chemotherapy that was supposed to cure his very treatable cancer.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 4:56 PM

Colon cancer is slow growing but the problem is you may not get significant symptoms until it is quite advanced. I’m 43, was diagnosed with it 3 years ago—by which time it had spread to my lungs and liver. I literally assumed all I had wrong was IBS, until I started getting bleeding. Even then I thought I was just being a hypochondriac until I mentioned it in passing to a doctor and she was horrified I hadn’t got it checked.

At the same time, you shouldn’t live your life a nervous wreck, life is too short. You have to enjoy it, but always be cautious if you have any symptoms. I’m too young to have had routine colonoscopies but if you have any doubts you should push for one regardless of age. It’s highly treatable in the earlier stages.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 5:03 PM

Americans die of preventable cancers all the time, partly because our for-profit health system encourages people to seek out alternative medicine and DIY cures, but also because of our deeply in trenched traditions of faith healing. Scientology, like Christian Science and the anti-vaccines movement, is basically just same old backwoods puritanical horseshit that has been killing credulous Americans for centuries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 5:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!