Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Piece of Shit Orbán Vetoes EU Aid to Ukraine

This is the politician American Republicans idolize. Why has the EU not kicked Hungary out by now? Orbán can only keep his stranglehold on Hungarian politics by distributing EU money; let him go begging to his BFF Putin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 12:48 AM

It's the Hungarians who reelected him earlier this year and gave him a historic majority. As their immediate neighbour, I'm just gonna say it -- they're deplorable isolationist people full of irredentism, and they're not going to change any time soon. He is their mirror, not some anomaly that needs to be solved. Same with Putin and Russia.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2022 1:48 PM

horrifying

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2022 1:50 PM

The GOP idolizes him, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2022 2:05 PM

Who cares

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2022 2:59 PM

We care because American Republicans are lookin at Orban as the ideal

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2022 3:36 PM

Well, R1, I'm Hungarian-Amnerican myself, with family in Hungary, and I think it's more complicated than "they're deplorable isolationist people full of irredentism" (which anyway wouldn't be that different from a lot of central European nationalists). Fidesz has rigged the system even more than American Republicans have—there's no free press or free judiciary in Hungary—very little possibility for opposition parties to get their word out in public. There's a lot of public sentiment against Orbán—currently protests over education—and there would be a lot more if the EU didn't keep propping up his corrupt, autocratic government. Again, let Putin do that if Viktorbácsi loves him so much.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2022 4:14 PM

Can’t we just assassinate him? Why doesn’t the CIA wack people anymore?

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2022 4:21 PM

r6 Nope, it really is that simple. The fact is we kicked our own right-wing Trumpian wannabe to the curb earlier this year after only two years in power. Yet the Hungarians have handed Orbán mandate after mandate after mandate, even before he changed the voting system and ate up all the media. They hate the EU, but they love their (our) money. They waste state budget on advertising Brussels as the public enemy number one on bus stops; no other member state does that. Not even fucking Alabama does that when it comes to the federal government. And now they're complaining they have to shut down theatres, museums and stadiums because of Brussels.

The best and the brightest have left Hungary already, what's left is the rotten periphery that is exactly as I characterised it in my previous post. Sorry if your familial attachments preclude you from thinking objectively about this situation, but that's not really my problem and it doesn't change the facts on the ground. He will win again in the next election and it will be the same people you're defending giving him the reins of power once more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2022 10:59 PM

He has a lean and hungary look.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 12:18 AM

Well, I'm sorry if some Hungarian kid once kicked you on the playground, R8, but Fidesz's 54% of the popular vote—even with near-total control of the media and electoral system—suggests that your sweeping condemnation of the Hungarian electorate is a little subjective itself.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 12:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!