Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Off With Jesse Green's Head" Demand KPOP Producers!

If there's a thread on this already, I cannot find it.

Jesse Green of the NYT did not like KPOP. He had favorable things to say about its earlier incarnations but not the noisy and weak Broadway version. In typical fashion for today, a bad review is being called racism because the show is about Koreans.

The word police seem to be most upset by the phrase, "squint-inducing lighting," as if it was a veiled use of a racist word. Um, OK. Maybe next time he'll write "lighting that makes you want to close your eyes halfway."

This is taking on minor life by SJW on social media, 99% of whom I suspect have not read the Times piece since it is firewalled. The review was scathing, but he hated it, and we need more scathing in reviews instead of rallying around a show or a person or a cause as opposed to actually reviewing something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 5:55 PM

The intelligence level of some of those complaining is exposed by them taking issue with Green describing it as a "concert-cum-party", with some accusing him of being a pervert.

It's so mind-blowingly stupid, that the whining has actually received a lot of pushback from the kinds of places that would usually support this kind of bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2022 4:42 PM

R1 The dumbing down of vocabulalry seemed to start with the "niggardly" incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2022 4:49 PM

< yes and i do see my typo... r2

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2022 4:53 PM

I blame Tonya Pinkins for establishing this precedent for clapping back at reviews.

I also don't trust Jesse Green as a reviewer since I've loved several shows he's panned.

Nobody comes off looking good here.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2022 5:07 PM

If Tonya Pinkins married David Dinkins…

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2022 5:54 PM

Jesse Green is a hack.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2022 7:47 PM

Yes, and KPOP is most certainly wide-eyed awful!

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2022 7:52 PM

And today in a tweet, Abraham Lim, one of the cast members who days ago posted a lengthy, shrill rebuke of the review on Instagram, referred in a to Green’s “myopic old male white gaze”. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2022 2:09 PM

^^^ ‘referred to Green’s’

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2022 2:10 PM

How fascinating for all involved.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2022 2:15 PM

I wonder how the reactions would have been if Green had not used the words 'squint-inducing' or said anything about the language barrier. I'll bet he'd still be excoriated for his negative review, because how DARE he not like the show.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2022 3:23 PM

Singapore/Fling has been particularly persistent in virtue signaling on this. Many of the regulars on ATC aren’t having any of it this time. I’m sitting this one out.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 5:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!