Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I am watching "Slap Shot" (1981) right now

I bought the Blu-ray at Barnes & Noble today on a whim, largely so I could have the opportunity to watch this moment in high-definition to my heart's desire (I also really like the movie, which is unusual because I am really not a sports movie fan—but it's funny).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2022 7:27 AM

"Suzanne sucks pussy! She's a dyke!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2022 5:51 AM

It has some of the most creative use of profanity I've ever seen in a movie. And Michael Ontkean was HOT.

Also Paul Newman's fur-trimmed coat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2022 5:56 AM

R2 agreed, Michael Ontkean is my encyclopedic definition of "beautiful man". Dream husband material.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2022 6:00 AM

I was mildly surprised to see that this film was written by a female screenwriter. It's a testosterone-fueled movie and fairly crass, especially by 1981 standards. Interestingly enough, she also wrote/co-wrote a number of pretty well-known movies, such as "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains" and "Swing Shift", but was credited under a male pseudonym. "Slap Shot" was one of the only films she wrote for which she was credited with her actual name.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2022 6:06 AM

I don't know why I put '81 in the thread title--it was released in 1977. Oops.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2022 6:24 AM

Wasn’t this supposedly Paul Newman’s favorite movie he did?

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2022 7:01 AM

I think he said it was his favourite move to have worked on

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2022 7:08 AM

Eenglish peeg!

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2022 7:09 AM

I get a kick out of the scene where Paul Newman’s character calls out the elderly Strother Martin’s for making moves on him when he was a young athlete—“I don’t care who’s a fag no more. It’s natural, it’s all around us!”

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2022 7:21 AM

Best Sports movie ever

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2022 7:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!