Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 50 best gay movies

The 50 best gay movies – the most essential LGBTQ+ films ever made.

With the help of leading directors, actors, writers and activists, we count down the best LGBTQ+ films of all time (March 2022).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2022 8:20 AM

If BROS isn't #1, this is homophobic hate.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2022 1:42 AM

It isn't R1. What will you do now?

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2022 1:45 AM

No Mame?

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2022 1:59 AM

Oh cool! I'll have to check some of these out. I'm not as well versed in gay cinema as I should be, and lately have had the urge and started seeking things out

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2022 2:01 AM

Longtime Companion belongs in the top five.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2022 2:03 AM

Worthless list since “Trick” isn’t on it. Also- what about LVC?

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2022 2:04 AM

And where is Y Tu Mamma Tambien?

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2022 2:04 AM

The Birdcage?

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2022 2:05 AM

Philadelphia? And The Band Played On?

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2022 2:05 AM

Just out of interest, am going to list those I have seen already:

- The Children's Hour

- Paris is Burning

- The Wizard of Oz

- Edward II (sort of, I can't really remember it. I was very young and it was on TV and I felt I shouldn't be watching it. I just remember Annie Lennox now)

- Pink Flamingos

- But I'm a Cheerleader

- Transamerica

- Pride

- (I've seen The Boys in the Band, but only the 2020 version)

- The Hours

- My Beautiful Laundrette (similar to Edward II, I remember nothing except getting very aroused by DDL)

- Orlando

- Beautiful Thing

- My Own Private Idaho (bits and pieces, yet again at a very young age and can't remember much of it)

- Brokeback Mountain

Funnily enough, for a gay guy I think I've watched much more lesbian stuff.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2022 2:06 AM

Stonewall is overlooked too

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2022 2:08 AM

And Jeffrey

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2022 2:08 AM

Brokeback Mountain is worthy of the number one spot. Too bad it wasn't at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2022 2:09 AM

Walk on Water (2004)

I love this film though it's not simply gay-themed.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2022 2:23 AM

Horrible list....Excluded = "We were here"....."And the band played on"......Timmy on the list? Give me a break.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2022 2:29 AM

[quote] The 50 best gay movies – the most essential LGBTQ+ films ever made

The headline of this article proves that people conflate "gay" with LGBTQ+ (which the trannies are denying over in another thread).

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2022 2:33 AM

Automatic garbage list if Maurice is only number 22. It's number one on my book but top three without question.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2022 2:36 AM

My top five, not in any particular order:

CMBYN

Longtime Companion

The Boys in the Band (1970)

God’s Own Country

Parting Glances

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2022 2:46 AM

I'd like to ask: Which are your favourite gay movies with happy endings (as in the pleasant emotion you get when things go well, as opposed to the other type of happy ending, you pervs!)? As a kid, whenever I found a gay movie it was always really depressing. Think the first one I ever saw was Gregg Araki's Totally Fucked Up, ha! I'd love to watch some more feelgood gay movies that still manage to not be too cheesy.

I loved Pride, for example. But I always love that kind of British film full of known character actors. The Lady in the Van was also great.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2022 2:49 AM

Happy ending:

1. God's Own Country

2. Longtime Companion's fantasy happy ending. How I ache when I see that scene. I've probably replayed it more than any scene from any gay movie.

3. Until Aciman came out with his sequel novel to CMBYN, I chose to think of CMBYN as having a happy ending sometime in the future, that Elio's tears as he stared into the fire would not be in vain. And then Aciman came out with that POS. If Luca ever films a sequel to the movie, I want Elio and Oliver to be together forever.

Those are the only ones I can think of, and they're not really very happy, are they?

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2022 2:55 AM

The one where Bugs gives that Monster a manicure has a sort of haaaaaaa-py ennnnnnnnnn-ding

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2022 3:04 AM

I would have eliminated some of them. (I mean, Shiva Baby?)

IMO the list should have included:

Man in an Orange Shirt

Law of Desire

And Then We Danced

Vito

Bedrooms and Hallways

Broken Hearts Club

The Living End

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2022 3:23 AM

Victim with Dirk Bogarde.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 3:24 AM

Maurice has a happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2022 3:27 AM

Another movie I should have added to R22 is the Guatemalan film Tremors.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2022 3:28 AM

[quote]Which are your favourite gay movies with happy endings

My Beautiful Laundrette, Maurice, and Beautiful Thing are my Top 3 and they all have happy endings. Laundrette was the first gay film I saw as a teenager and I'll always have a huge fondness for it. I don't think Day-Lewis has ever been better than he was in that and A Room with a View.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2022 3:39 AM

R21 It’s a crime that was left off the list!

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2022 4:07 AM

Where's Ben Hur?

Where's Top Gun?

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2022 4:17 AM

Taxi Zum Klo was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2022 4:24 AM

Talk about promoting agenda! 20% of the movies on that list have nothing to do with gay and everything to do with blokes in frocks. To say nothing of the fact that there is a wealth of excellent non-English gay films which were ignored. But that's what happens when agenda takes precedence over reality.

My list of GAY films worth a sticky:

Any film by Ferzan Ozpetek

Dear Ex (Taiwan)

Contracorriente (Peru)

Rialto (Ireland)

The Sum of Us (Australia)

Sorry Angel (France)

Tenue de soirée (France)

by Anonymousreply 30December 3, 2022 4:42 AM

The one about the two guys who were Mormons (I think). Can't remember the name of it. I think one of the actors was named Steve something or other. Anyway, that was a good one.

by Anonymousreply 31December 3, 2022 4:54 AM

My top 5:

Beautiful Thing

Being 17

The Skin I Live In

And Then We Danced

Free Fall

by Anonymousreply 32December 3, 2022 5:01 AM

British gay films are usually the best.

That was The Falls trilogy R31. There are 3 films in the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2022 5:07 AM

Where is Jeanne Dielman when you need her?

by Anonymousreply 34December 3, 2022 5:15 AM

No offense, but they need separate categories for Lesbian movies and Gay (men) movies. No lesbian is going to find Brokeback Mountain entertaining. The same way I feel about Boys don't Cry.

by Anonymousreply 35December 3, 2022 5:22 AM

Besides the titles I knew were going to be here (My Own Private Idaho, Boys Don't Cry, Brokeback Mountain, Maurice, the original Boys in the Band), I'm glad to see Bad Education, All About My Mother, and The Terence Davies Trilogy. I would have replaced the last with The Long Day Closes if only one of TD's movies were to be included, but I see their reasoning. The character grows up in the Trilogy, so his homosexuality is more overtly presented.

Love and Death on Long Island (with John Hurt) is one I wish I had been included. I hated Trick, so I'm fine with that omission.

by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2022 5:23 AM

The list isn't in any way cohesive, and yes there are too many "blokes in frocks" and trans subjects -- both formerly tagged #gayinterest when any crumb that fell from the table was deemed close enough

What would have been my first choice, Andrew Haigh's "Week-End" came in at #14, but the ordering, too, has a lot of randomness to it

by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2022 5:33 AM

"The Mystery of Alexina" should be on the list. Directed by René Féret and centered upon the intersex memoirist Herculine Barbin, it's quite moving. The male/female Barbin is effectively played by Philippe Vuillemin, who later became an accomplished cartoonist. I think the movie i on YouTube. It's well worth a watch.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2022 5:43 AM

I don't know if it would go on this list, but I always enjoyed My Summer of Love (with a young Emily Blunt. The atmosphere (an oppressive summer) is really well done, and the Goldfrapp soundtrack works really well. Yet again another lesbian film that this gay guy enjoyed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2022 7:04 AM

My favourite was Shelter, but you know everyone is white, no guy where a dress, no-one wants to be in drag and we know that's not allowed, of course. Nothing can be viewed in any cultural context and has to be cancelled.

It also has a happy ending which is another no no for those gays where everything must be TRAGIC and everything must end in tragedy!

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2022 8:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!