Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christmas Dinner Dessert

Anyone have any good ideas for Christmas dinner dessert? Prefer something not very complicated. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2022 1:15 AM

Christmas cookies

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 10:07 PM

Fruitcake.

Unfairly maligned, traditional, a bit campy, cheeky, hard to get wrong... and if you get it right: delicious.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 10:08 PM

Pancakes Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 10:15 PM

A sweet cake with citrus or citrus juice such as oranges or tangerines.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 10:18 PM

Cranberry upside down cake. Extremely easy if you use boxed cake mix. I prefer to bake from scratch to reduce the sugar, but this is probably delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 10:22 PM

Trifle?

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 10:26 PM

Pecan pie with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 10:29 PM

Definitely a trifle. The work is just layering things like pudding, sponge cake and cream.

And if you live in a trailer park, it’s just layering Snack Packs, Little Debbie Cakes and Redi Whip, all available at Dollar Tree.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 10:32 PM

For something easy that everyone will enjoy:

Homemade Peppermint Stick Ice Cream with Homemade Chocolate Sauce

This is a favorite dessert at the Somerset Club and it's a delicious combination.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 10:36 PM

Cheesecake with cherry topping is a classic Christmas dinner dessert. Not too hard to make (or buy at BJs or Costco).

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 10:37 PM

Sticky Toffee Pudding. This is the recipe I use:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 10:37 PM

You might also consider:

Roasted Pears with Vanilla Ice Cream, & Caramel Sauce

This is delicious and people will be very impressed.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 10:40 PM

Vanilla ice cream topped with berry compote with a liqueur, such as Gran Marnier I don’t have a recipe, but really like the simplicity and color contrast. Hardest part Would be warming up the berries on stovetop. Or, vanilla ice cream, homemade chocolate sauce, very easy, and crushed peppermints on top.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 10:45 PM

Tiramisu.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 10:47 PM

Cherries Jubilee

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 10:48 PM

Mississippi Mud

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 10:49 PM

There's always room for Jell-O!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 10:54 PM

Growing up if daddy had a good crop, he's barter for some molasses for our sweet potatoes. We always had sweet potatoes in the cellar, and mama would put up sweet corn relish each summer, that would also satisfy a sweet tooth. Miss Jenny down at the gin would always slip us kids little candy canes.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 11:10 PM

I like a nice cake on Christmas. A bundt cake decorated for christmas, like chocolate with white icing but anything could work. The key is the way you decorate it. Get out your red and green food coloring for the icing, or some Christmas cookie sprinkles and whatnot. Better yet, Christmas cupcakes!

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 11:13 PM

No, cupcakes don't feel special.

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 11:17 PM

We always had a box of these on the table with coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 11:19 PM

Thank you for these ideas. Any ideas and something to make the day before? Don’t wanna do ice cream because I don’t have room in the freezer and I don’t wanna be scooping after dinner.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2022 12:34 AM

Freshly baked, warm apple crisp with homemade vanilla ice-cream. I'm Italian, and if anyone served me round Baci crunchy chocolate balls or even panettone for Christmas dessert, I'd pick them up and throw them right into the nearest trash receptacle. :D

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 12:54 AM

Have more than one, so everyone is happy.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2022 1:13 AM

Christmas cookies is the best answer.

Bake two different kinds each weekend before Xmas and freeze them.

Then, take them out of the freezer the morning of 12/24 - no last minute work and everyone will be impressed.

I do it ever year - gonna start tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2022 3:27 AM

R25, why not freeze the dough, then take out the dough and bake them on the day you're going to serve them?

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2022 3:38 AM

R23

[quote]Freshly baked, warm apple crisp with homemade vanilla ice-cream.

That's not simple. OP is not an accomplished cook or isn't interested in anything elaborate on Christmas Day.

[quote] I'm Italian, and if anyone served me round Baci crunchy chocolate balls or even panettone for Christmas dessert, I'd pick them up and throw them right into the nearest trash receptacle. :D

I'm not that fond of Baci, but plenty of people are. I prefer Amaretti di Saronno cookies and very nice panettone are available in shops. Stop being a snob, it's not your dinner.

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2022 1:09 PM

R25

Maybe OP wouldn't want the extra bother or wouldn't have room in the oven or the counter to bake and cool them on the day. Why add a complication for someone who specifically asked for something uncomplicated?

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2022 1:11 PM

R5- We're talking about Christmas dessert not Thanksgiving dessert.

by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2022 1:13 PM

R26 has it right. Freeze the dough in batches so the cookies are warm and fresh baked when served. Fills the house with lovely smells, too.

by Anonymousreply 30December 3, 2022 1:19 PM

Pavlovas are the perfect answer. Can all be done ahead of time, then quickly assembled at dessert time. Yummy, pretty, out of the ordinary, easy.

The recipe is in German, but you can easily translate it with deepl.com

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 3, 2022 1:21 PM

I'm considering a bread pudding with a bourbon or rum sauce.

by Anonymousreply 32December 3, 2022 1:25 PM

Trifle, as some have suggested upthread, always impresses. Take the time to make an orange chiffon cake, it makes a big difference in the taste and mouthfeel. Raspberries, as jam and fresh, lots of custard and whipped cream. Sliced almonds for garnish.

Bread Pudding has been my community Christmas dinner dessert for the past 35 years or so, my crowd won't let me make anything else. It is good warm and fresh, or cold and firmer the next day. Maida Heatter's recipe, a real PITA, but worth it. This is not your average diner or school cafeteria BP.

I like panettone but I feel it's really meant for breakfast, sliced, buttered, maybe some orange marmalade and a cup of coffee or tea.

A cookie tray is always welcome, try to have a variety of types: chocolate; shortbread; something with nuts; fruit-filled; crispy; soft etc.

I'm a fruitcake lover, there's always a tomato soup cake( please, spare me the "EWWWwww gross!!!) on the dessert table, no matter what else is there. It's the recipe my mom used, and it's the best fruitcake I ever tasted.

For the accomplished bakers in the room there's always Buche de Noel.

by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2022 1:34 PM

Kruteaz cinnamon coffee cake box mix, if you want it simple. Super good.

by Anonymousreply 34December 3, 2022 1:39 PM

Step one - go to Costco

Step two - buy a Pie

Step three. Server the pie.

by Anonymousreply 35December 3, 2022 1:39 PM

Easiest would be to just buy something at the bakery but if you want to make something this is very good and remarkably easy Jiffy Cherry Cobbler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2022 1:46 PM

I sometimes order a Buche de Noel but they are a pain to make.

by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2022 1:52 PM

Dump cake.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2022 2:01 PM

Christmas cookies are nice with tea/coffee and can fill out a dessert spread, but they're not the star attraction.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2022 2:19 PM

Pudding in a cloud.

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2022 2:57 PM

I used to make Fresh Orange Sponge Cake- I'd put in some extra fresh squeezed orange juice which made the cake really moist. I would serve slices of the cake with Whipped Cream ( Good quality Vanilla Extract and Confectioners Sugar) and sliced strawberries that had been sprinkled with granulated sugar for an hour to bring out the juices. It was a festive and fabulous dessert.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2022 3:00 PM

[quote] Christmas cookies are nice with tea/coffee and can fill out a dessert spread, but they're not the star attraction.

I agree. That's why I suggested freezing the dough and serving it fresh-baked, at least.

If someone served me a good, large, freshly-baked chocolate chip cookie, I might be happy.

by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2022 3:47 PM

Peppermint schnapps

by Anonymousreply 43December 3, 2022 4:20 PM

Plum pudding---better than fruit cake, but a little hard to find. Too much trouble to make yourself, but the brandied hard sauce is easy to whip up.

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2022 5:45 PM

These individual servings of Junior’s cheesecakes are really good. You can get a better deal on QVC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 3, 2022 5:52 PM

Rum cake

by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2022 6:02 PM

What about a cobbler? i’ve made this one before using mixed berries and it was super easy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2022 11:06 PM

Chocolate cream pie.

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2022 11:09 PM

Maybe tiramisu like Dustin r14 suggests, but in a trifle bowl and add cognac to the espresso for soaking the cookie layers. Go heavy on the cognac.

Trifle would also be excellent. Make the version with sherry in it, or kir.

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2022 11:15 PM

Sherry trifle is the only acceptable choice.

by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2022 11:17 PM

Twat Tarte

by Anonymousreply 51December 3, 2022 11:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 3, 2022 11:29 PM

Sticky toffee pudding.

by Anonymousreply 53December 3, 2022 11:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 3, 2022 11:41 PM

A gingerbread cake with cream cheese frosting is nice. I put a little orange extract in my frosting.

by Anonymousreply 55December 3, 2022 11:43 PM

Keep it elegant and classy with some Vienetta. Good Humor took it over from Breyer's two years ago. All you have to do is take it out of the box!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2022 12:01 AM

Spotted dick, family-sized.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2022 1:18 AM

Bundt cake with a lovely icing is always nice.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2022 6:48 AM

When I was a younger cook, a relatively simple Christmas dessert I made was a chocolate peppermint cake. It was just a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, and I crushed some candy canes to use as a dust around the outside of the cake.

Depending on how much work you want to put in, you can make your own chocolate cake or just do a box cake and frosting. The peppermint dust can be candy canes or peppermint candies ground up in a food processor or crushed by hand with a rolling pin or hammer. I made a layer cake and also used the peppermint dust in the interior frosting layer, but I imagine it would work as well as a sheet cake with chocolate frosting and peppermint on top if you prefer.

I also made chocolate chip peppermint cookies for Christmas one year using a similar method by adding crushed peppermint candy to a standard chocolate chip recipe. Clearly I was going through a phase playing with peppermint back then. The cookies would make a nice dessert warm with the ice cream of your choice, though.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2022 6:50 AM

I’m trying this Pecan Pie bread pudding mash up, sans the homemade ice cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 5, 2022 12:26 AM

US here, where sticky toffee pudding isn't particularly a thing. Having had it in the UK and now made it myself, I'm a big fan. Sweet balanced with bitter. Sticky toffee pudding, OP.

by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2022 12:32 AM

I had an aunt who used to put out a big tray of miniature bûches de Noël which she made by jazzing up Hostess Ho-Hoes with touches of green and red icing.

by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2022 12:21 PM

R62- Some people are so FUCKIN lazy and tacky.

by Anonymousreply 63December 5, 2022 12:55 PM

Everyone loves a ho ho!

by Anonymousreply 64December 5, 2022 1:18 PM

OP, I have the best recipe for gingerbread if you like. You could serve gingerbread with either lemon curd or whipped cream.

by Anonymousreply 65December 5, 2022 7:13 PM

I'm going with a cold chocolate souffle in lieu of bread pudding I'd originally considered. It will be light after a heavy dinner. I'll also have cookies and rum balls set out.

by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2022 8:34 PM

Casual approach: various Christmas cookies and candies. More formally: my favorite winter dessert: poached pears baked in puff pastry, served with vanilla ice cream. The poaching liquid gets reduced into a syrup and dresses the dish beautifully.

Everything can be made ahead, up to the baking. They can be poached with or without alcohol, and the pastry wrapping can be as refined or rustic as you wish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 5, 2022 8:54 PM

Baked Alaska

by Anonymousreply 68December 7, 2022 12:34 AM

Yule Log Cake (looks like a big Yodel, and easy to make !)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 7, 2022 12:37 AM

Ass. Very sweet ass.

by Anonymousreply 70December 7, 2022 12:41 AM

After Chinese we usually debate going for ice cream but then realize nothing is likely open and settle for the orange slices and fortune cookies they bring

by Anonymousreply 71December 7, 2022 12:43 AM

My Chinese restaurant has fried ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2022 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!