Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gays, REJOICE! Britney Spears Musical Will Open On Broadway in 2023

OMG GURLS!!!! WE MUST GO!!!

What do you get when you cross a bunch of fairy tale princesses with the music of pop icon Britney Spears and the ideas of second-wave feminist Betty Friedan? You get a very buzzy new musical now officially on its way to Broadway. Once Upon a One More Time will begin preview performances May 13, 2023 at the Marquis Theatre ahead of a June 22 opening.

The story centers on a book club of fairy tale damsels—including Cinderella, Snow White, and the Little Mermaid—whose own stories get a rewrite when a fairy godmother gives them Friedan's landmark 1963 feminist tome The Feminine Mystique. The new tuners features an original book by Jon Hartmere (bare: a pop opera) and a jukebox score of Spears hits such as "Oops I Did It Again," "Lucky," "Circus," and "Toxic." Along with the other pop jukebox musicals & Juliet and Moulin Rouge!, Once Upon a One More Time will be the third musical running on Broadway belting tunes from the Princess of Pop.

The announcement of Once Upon a One More Time also comes on the day of Spears' 41st birthday.

Once Upon a One More Time premiered November 2021 at Shakespeare Theatre Company in Washington, D.C. under the helm of married creative partners Keone and Mari Madrid, well-known choreographers in the world of urban dance. They have created for several televised dance competition shows as well as various video for recording artists including BTS, Billie Eilish, Ed Sheeran, Flying Lotus, and Kendrick Lamar.

The Madrids will continue with the show in their Broadway debuts as directors and choreographers, leading a creative team that will include creative consultant David Leveaux (Nine, Romeo and Juliet), scenic designer Anna Fleischle (Hangmen), costume and hair designer Loren Elstein, lighting designer Kenneth Posner (Wicked, Beetlejuice), sound designer Andrew Keister (KPOP), and projection designer Sven Ortel (Newsies). Lead producers are James L. Nederlander and Hunter Arnold.

Casting will be announced at a later date. Tickets go on sale via Ticketmaster for Britney Spears Fan Club members December 2 and to the general public December 5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2022 8:53 AM

Shame on you, Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 4:04 PM

Is Britney really the 'Princess of Pop'?

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 4:08 PM

R2 based on album sales, yes.

She was the biggest pop star in the world for a few years (and is still ridiculously famous, albeit for the wrong reasons now).

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 4:10 PM

Gay Britney fans are a small audience of millennials.

Britney is not a universal gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 4:10 PM

[Quote] OMG GURLS!!!! WE MUST GO!!!

Let’s not, and just say that we did.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote] She was the biggest pop star in the world for a few years (and is still ridiculously famous, albeit for the wrong reasons now).

I'll repeat my question. Is BRITNEY really the "Princess of Pop"?

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 4:32 PM

Taylor’s first few albums were country.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 4:32 PM

Is that really the artwork?

Hard pass. And I like Britney.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 4:52 PM

[quote]Gay Britney fans are a small audience of millennials. Britney is not a universal gay icon.

R4 That is the furthest from the truth. Take your meds Eldergay Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2022 6:55 PM

Terrible timing. Producers should wait until her core fan base is older (ie, has more disposable income to spend)— by that time, maybe B will no longer be able to trash this show on Instagram due to some sort of accidental pill incident which you know is in her future.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2022 7:01 PM

The headline got me excited but what an unbelievably stupid concept, who is this for? Oh well. What's your favorite Britney Spears song? Mine is Deep In My Heart.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2022 7:04 PM

I am packing my bags and headed to NYC baby!

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2022 7:08 PM

Oh yes I’m going to New York for Britney Spears….

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2022 7:45 PM

I'd love to say that I'm not going to get tickets...

But I'm not. That. Innocent.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2022 8:53 PM

[quote]What do you get when you cross a bunch of fairy tale princesses with the music of pop icon Britney Spears and the ideas of second-wave feminist Betty Friedan?

The turkey of the season, most likely.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2022 8:57 PM

Does it end with her being locked up in an asylum forever?

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2022 9:08 PM

B'way- like the world- is getting dumber. Sounds more like entertainment at a state fair.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2022 9:20 PM

[quote]Sounds more like entertainment at a state fair.

There's nothing wrong with performing at state fairs.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2022 8:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!