Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whoopi Goldberg- “I got the iconic role of Oda Mar in ‘Ghost’ because Patrick Swayze fought for me!”

Whoopi Goldberg reflected on her classic role as Oda Mae Brown in the 1990 film “Ghost,” telling Variety that her late co-star, Patrick Swayze, advocated for her to get the part.

In a cover story, Goldberg said she was among a list of women considered for the part of Oda Mae, including Patti LaBelle and Tina Turner, but that Swayze fought for Goldberg to get the role.

She said the late actor and the film’s director, Jerry Zucker, flew to Alabama so that Goldberg and Swayze could read lines together.

Goldberg told Variety she instantly felt a connection with Swayze, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2009.

“He and I just took to each other,” she said.

Goldberg memorably acted as Oda Mae, a storefront psychic who helps murdered banker Sam Wheat (Swayze) connect with his living girlfriend (Demi Moore) to warn her of impending danger.

“The Color Purple” actor said that she and Swayze would joke about feeling uncertain about how the movie would come out while they were filming, wondering whether it would be “the dopiest thing we’ve ever done,” she said.

Goldberg’s iconic performance earned her a Best Supporting Actress award at the Academy Awards in 1991, making her the first Black woman to receive an Oscar in 50 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 7:11 PM

Loved that movie

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 12:03 PM

Not necessarily my kind of movie, but she was very good in it and is definitely the best part of it. Swayze made a good call there.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 12:04 PM

You in danger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 12:27 PM

Great movie.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 4:10 PM

I thought it was cheesy and sappy but found it entertaining. Whoopi was indeed the best part of it. I remember it being one of those sleeper hits. I believe that was the movie that came up with that term. Maybe, I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 4:14 PM

R5 the term sleeper hit was around long before 1990.

And it debuted at #2 with $12.1 million and then went to #1 during its second weekend with $12.5 million.

Back then movies didn’t debut with $100 million dollar weekends.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 4:19 PM

Whoopi really did steal the movie. And R6, back then a $100 million dollar total box office take for the entire movie's run was considered a big hit. Ghost was 1990's second highest grossing film after Home Alone. It even beat out Pretty Woman. Ghost grossed over $217 million, which was a big, big hit back then.

It did debut pretty well but nothing staggering, but then it had legs. It kept grossing over $10 million a week for weeks as word of mouth spread about what a great movie it was. It was in the theaters for a long time.

Swayze did make the right call. He and Whoopi had better buddy chemistry than Swayze and Demi Moore did as romantic partners. [SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IT.] Tony Goldwyn also gave a good performance as Swayze's smarmy, evil friend who was responsible for Swayze's character's death.

I haven't watched it for ages. I'll have to give it a re-watch here soon.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 4:57 PM

Everyone was perfectly cast, but Whoopi steals every scene she’s in.

I know they wanted Tina Turner for the part, and she would have been great, but Whoopi added a charisma, and energetic humor to it all that was golden.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 5:05 PM

Did Tina Turner ever do comedy? The movie is not a comedy but Oda Mae Brown has some very comedic moments, at least as Whoopi played her. I can't see Tina Turner playing the part that way.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 5:37 PM

R9 Whoopi did her thing and added that humorous element. Tina’s Oda Mae would have probably been less comedic.

The lines themselves aren’t funny. It’s Whoopi’s delivery that makes them funny. And her ad-libs.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 5:47 PM

Swayze looks absolutely gorgeous in OP's pic.

Never paid attention to him while he was alive.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 5:47 PM

My mother and grandmother to this day think he is one of the most unattractive men. Idk why. They just always found him unappealing r11

I loved him.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 5:50 PM

She’s the only reason to watch this movie - the definition of scene stealer. And she’s great. She’s mentioned Swayze fighting for her to be cast before - many times.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 5:51 PM

I have a feeling the iconic line was originally written as "Molly, you're in danger." Which isn't exactly knee-slapping.

Kind of like when Gary Coleman gave the line "what are you talking about, Willis?" such a funny spin that the writers made him say it at least once in every episode afterwards, quickly running the joke into the ground. The first time was inspired, though.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 6:39 PM

"You wanna kiss my butt?!"

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 7:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!