Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christian Pulisic: “It’s called soccer, bitches!”

Christian Pulisic is schooling World Cuppers by insisting you call his sport soccer, none of that football shit, earning him the nickname Captain America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 6:20 PM

So stereotypically 'Ugly American' of him.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 9:19 AM

He has tatts! Yuck...Oh, and does he shave down there?

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 9:36 AM

He didn't originate it; his fans did by photoshopping that phrase on one of his shirts.

[Quote]The meme of “It’s Called Soccer” originates from a picture taken of Pulisic after he scored the goal that would put the USMNT ahead of Mexico in a World Cup qualifier match last year. Shortly before the contentious match, Mexico’s goal keeper, Guillermo Ochoa, said of the rivalry, “Mexico is the mirror in which the (U.S.) wants to see itself and wants to copy.” Pulisic answered by donning an undershirt with the words “Man in the Mirror” written in black sharpie, which he exposed after scoring the winner to both rib the losing goalie and reference the painfully catchy Michael Jackson tune.

[Quote]American fans took this picture and ran with it, photoshopping out the original text with their own chosen declaration of “It’s Called Soccer.” As Pulisic’s star has risen on the international stage, so has the fervor with which American soccer fans have proclaimed their linguistic dominance on the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 10:16 AM

*coff*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 10:21 AM

Can't stand this conservative brat who can't even pronounce his last name properly.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 10:23 AM

He sounds like trash

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 10:31 AM

[Quote]Can't stand this conservative brat who can't even pronounce his last name properly.

In the beginning of the video, he explains that he pronounces it that way because of his being raised in the United States (it's how Americans would pronounce his last name). But he's aware of the proper pronunciation, and is ok with both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 10:52 AM

[quote] So stereotypically 'Ugly American' of him.

The fans of the US men’s team are so embarrassing. They only pay attention to soccer once every four years, but also are very gung-ho about their team’s superiority in all things.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 11:00 AM

But also this soccer vs football business is kind of silly. It’s not like the Brits never call it soccer. “Soccer Saturday” is must-see TV.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 11:04 AM

I know this is unbelievably petty of me, but this makes me hope the Netherlands thrash the USA 4-0 tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 11:07 AM

You can see why I find my fellow Americans so embarrassing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 11:07 AM

R10 Same

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 11:08 AM

I wouldn't care what he calls the sport if I was kneeling in gravel, behind the stadium dumpsters, with his balls slapping against my chin, and rivulets of his warm pre-cum dripping down the corners of my slurping mouth.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 11:09 AM

Lotsa boring teams are through to the knock-out stage. This is boring.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 11:09 AM

It makes more sense for soccer to be called football because, you know, the foot is used all the damn time, unlike American football.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 11:12 AM

What’s the big deal? I call it soccer when speaking to fellow Americans and football when speaking in Spanish or non-Americans.

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 11:31 AM

R1 I love that the U.S. national team and fans are bending over backwards trying to be inoffensive and polite and they're still being called Ugly Americans. Lol!

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 11:53 AM

R16 Fervent nationalism is basically required at the World Cup, but U.S. Soccer doesn't want to promote that for political and cultural reasons.

They've chosen a banal cultural quirk to rally around instead so they can feel like they're participating- it hilariously appears to be backfiring!

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 11:56 AM

🇺🇲 This is the spirit of Biden's America- affected, artificial, mediocre, and self-defeating 🇺🇲

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 11:59 AM

Cut or uncut, though? Foreskin would at least help reduce the hideousness of the tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 12:06 PM

You can now purchase a garment that proclaims it. You might get beat up if you wear it outside of the United States, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 1:02 PM

^I think Brits would be less offended if you pay in their faces.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2022 6:20 PM

Sorry, spat*

Oh dear 👀

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 6:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!