Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Rail-Workers Must Strike!

The republicans just killed a bill that democrats had worked hard on to give the rail workers 7 days off.

Only 7 days. And the republicans killed it.

I hope they go on strike. Christmas be dammed. This is the only way they are going to get any bargaining power and they should strike anyway.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2022 4:50 PM

I'm ignorant. What is the reason for the 7 days off?

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 6:23 AM

Because they are not slaves.

It’s just basic bargaining they are asking for. These Republican assholes are evil.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 6:27 AM

Come one people. The rethugs are trying to blame Biden for this too?

Isn’t he busy putting up the prices at all the gas stations and personally raising the price on groceries?

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 6:29 AM

This so all so that little Bobby can get a new plastic toy that will be thrown in the heap in 6 months. These republicans are bastards. Who voted for this crap?

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 6:30 AM

Amazon is behind this. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 6:31 AM

Those who are pissed can quit, so that those who were made redundant can come back to work instead. Problems solved. Three days of paid sick leave is enough, if you lose some weight, fatties, and become healthier, and don't get sick too often.

Moreover, OP can troll as much as she wants and she still is morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 6:32 AM

Actually Rubio, Cruz and Hawley voted for the paid leave. Manchin voted against it.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 6:32 AM

Covid still exists. It takes awhile to get over like a cold and the flu. They deserve to have days off. PERIODT!

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 6:33 AM

No, OP, they shouldn't strike, besides, any strike action they take now would be illegal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 6:35 AM

R1

Lone among most if not all workers in USA those employed by railroads currently not receive any sort of paid sick days. If on call and a RR worker doesn't show up when summoned it can have serious repercussions.

There is of course option of taking PTO days, but that's a different matter.

Railroads remain under extensive federal government control as a legacy of when they were dominant form of transportation in USA, and so called "railroad tycoons" greatly abused American public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 6:42 AM

Strike! Strike! Strike,!

Now's the time as Christmas comes up. Do it now! Hold the country at ransom. That's what striking is about.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 6:46 AM

R10 Thank you for letting me know what this was about.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 6:46 AM

R12

If you want to know more look up Railway Labor Act. Enacted in 1926 it originally only covered railroads, but was later amended to also add airlines.

Federal government has authority via clauses in USC giving it power over interstate matters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 7:01 AM

Actually Joe Manchin killed it.

Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham, John Kennedy, and Mike Braun and even Marco Rubio voted for it. But Manchin voted AGAINST IT.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 7:05 AM

R6 - Be sure to refill your PreP, honey. One bad cough could end a nasty wretch like you.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 9:31 AM

R14 True to form

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 9:33 AM

Troll thread.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 9:58 AM

The seven days off is for paid sick days in addition to the rest of the paid time off they get - while I agree they should get them and I hope they do eventually, It's not worth the nation's shipping infrastructure grinding to a halt and costing billions as well as hundreds of thousands of lost jobs. The economy is fragile enough due to the continuing fallout from the pandemic and China's Zero Covid policy.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 10:35 AM

I agree, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 11:05 AM

Did Manchin explain why he voted against it?

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 11:08 AM

Found it:

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va. was the only Democrat to vote against the paid leave version of the bill.

“Today I voted to codify the negotiated collective bargaining agreement and prevent any type of rail strike,” Manchin said after the vote. “A strike of that magnitude would have a painful impact on our economy and that is an unacceptable scenario as inflation continues to squeeze West Virginians and Americans heading into the holiday season. Our rail workers provide a tremendous service to our country and I am pleased to know they will be getting a 24% wage increase, additional personal leave and additional provisions to protect them from being punished when they take unpaid sick leave. While I am sympathetic to the concerns union members have raised, I do not believe it is the role of Congress to renegotiate a collective bargaining agreement that has already been negotiated.”

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 11:10 AM

"“I voted against the bill to override contract negotiations between unions and rail companies because it sets a bad precedent,” Rep. Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.) said in a statement. “They are supposed to come to an agreement on their own, and this bill will take away workers’ leverage to negotiate. Congress should just stay out of it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2022 11:25 AM

There would be serious damage to the economy if they strike, OP.

I'm somewhat familiar with the industry and can assure you that most railway employees are Republicans and many, especially those who work as conductors and engineers are MAGA and have no education past high school. They are already very well compensated for they their work which includes demanding hours of service but is not otherwise difficult. Many of these workers are Trumpers and don't even believe in basic human rights for others, so why should the rest of us care about them? If they're unhappy with their job then they should quit and find other work, but they won't, because there's very few places where an uneducated slob can earn over $100, 000 a year. If they strike illegally, Biden should fire them.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 2:57 PM

Did they get everything they want?

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2022 3:11 PM

Or need.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2022 3:11 PM

Unfortunately I think a lot of working people and families are so on the edge from inflation that it could be really dangerous. With what groceries and goods cost these days I have no clue how low earning people are making it. Seems fragile!

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2022 3:26 PM

Secretary Mayor Pete explains why the rail strike must be kneecapped:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 3:37 PM

No strike now, thankfully. I don't think the people who are advocating for a rail strike understand the whole picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 3:44 PM

No, R24, they didn't get sick days.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 3:57 PM

Oh that’s not good.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 4:07 PM

r23 sounds like another case of face-eating leopard defenders got their faces eaten by face-eating leopards

just like the veterans, they voted 2 smashed their benefits, yet 2022, they still voted in their smashers

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 4:29 PM

Exactly, R31. I'm usually pro-union/worker, but not in this case. They deserve what they get and I'm thrilled Biden won't allow them to strike. Most of them won't vote for him anyway. There are some rail workers who are true leftists and for workers, and for those people, I feel bad. Most are right wingers though and are only pro union when it comes to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2022 4:42 PM

[quote]Amazon is behind this. Mark my words.

Why would Amazon be for it?

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2022 4:49 PM

The railways are a very important cog in the wheel of keeping our lives and economy moving. I didn't realize how much (took it for granted), and Pete's explanation was very helpful and eye-opening. Union contracts....you never get everything you want. Through negotiations, the unions and companies work through a compromise. At first, both sides take more extreme stances. The companies want to take everything away.....the unions want everything. They meet in the middle, then a new contract is drawn. I'm very glad that this strike was averted. Thank you, the Biden Administration, again.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2022 4:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!