Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 164 songs that were banned from American radio after 9/11

I know, I'm a terrible person. But some of these are downright hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 5:04 AM

Seems like the list was created based on key word search - e.g., crash, jet, burn. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 3:48 AM

I don't think this is even accurate. The local station I listened to was a Clear Channel station back then, and I remember they started playing "Life During Wartime" just after the attacks, stopped it after a few notes, and the next morning the radio station's morning show said it was on a list of songs they were pausing for a while, due to the attacks. "Life During Wartime" doesn't even appear on this list. They also didn't ban any AC/DC songs during that time. I suppose they could have ignored Clear Channel's list and made their own, but I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 3:53 AM

How did "It's Raining Men" escape the censors?

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 3:53 AM

Peace Train was banned? O K

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 3:56 AM

I'm surprised that O Superman wasn't on the list. Not that it would have been played - but there are plenty of songs on the list that wouldn't have been played.

Here come the planes

They're American planes, made in America.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 3:58 AM

Morning has Broken also banned, R4. Likely because they are by Cat Stevens, who became a Muslim (remember the whole Salmon Rushdie michigas?

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 4:00 AM

Corporate radio programmers are scum.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 4:04 AM

R3 marry me

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 4:06 AM

Cat Stevens was going by Yusef Islam at that time.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 4:09 AM

I remember Jet Airliner by Steve Miller Band being banned. And yes, Peace Train and anything else by Cat Stevens, later Yusuf Islam, was banned because he was Muslim.

Come to think of it the whole banning anything Cat Stevens reeks of America’s Mayor, Rudy Giuliani. Remember when he closed off incoming traffic into Manhattan by way of the Holland Tunnel because there are a lot of Muslims in Jersey City?

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 4:14 AM

Those are some good songs on that list. Rooster by Alice in Chains? Why?

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 4:21 AM

*puts Peace Train on loop and walks away*

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 4:22 AM

Here’s the Wikipedia page:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 4:26 AM

What a horrible time in history that was, including the Patriot Act. Worse than the Covid pandemic, in a lot of ways.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 4:29 AM

That Tragically Hip song was banned after Hurricane Katrina too, but that was temporary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 4:33 AM

I lost it and was cracking up in tears when I got to The Gap Band on that list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 4:52 AM

R5 Damn it you beat me to it.

“O Superman” is fucking chilling when you think about 9/11.

Also Wilco’s “Jesus Etc”.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 4:57 AM

Whenever I listen to O Superman, I do envision someone getting the phone call / message at their desk before the planes come. It instantly comes to my head.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 4:59 AM

R16, you could console yourself with "Burn Rubber on Me."

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 5:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!