Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Indiana really that bad?

On DL, one hears Indiana and Indianapolis maligned as shitholes of a state and a city, respectively. However, looking at real estate listings online, it's not as inexpensive as I thought it would be and there are a variety of architectural styles compared to some other midwestern areas. Hoosiers, spill the tea! Indiana, yay or nay?

by Anonymousreply 57December 6, 2022 5:57 AM

NOWHERE is bad if you have actual LOVE, darling.

Having said that, don't delude yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2022 1:31 PM

Indiana is the home of gutless, spineless, dirtball ass kisser Mike Pence.

That alone should tell you all you need to know about Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2022 1:34 PM

Like everywhere there are probably good areas and bad areas.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2022 1:34 PM

There’s no good area in South Bend or anyplace close by…

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2022 1:36 PM

Move to Delphi!

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2022 1:38 PM

Flat, cold & dull as dirt. Ohio - a mixed bag - with its rolling hills and cultured urban centers is much nicer.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2022 1:41 PM

Indiana is the most self segregated shithole in America. You could GIVE me a house there and I still wouldn’t live in it. NC almost looks sophisticated in comparison. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2022 1:45 PM

It's full of KKKlan and unaffiliated hateful dolts.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2022 1:45 PM

It's not that cold. Evansville is as far south as Lexington, KY

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2022 1:49 PM

It's funny OP should post this query: I've seen a couple of postings about this magnificent old homes in Indiana that are relatively cheap. But actually living in Indiana - home of Mike Pence - just seems intolerable.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2022 1:49 PM

It's pretty bad. Indianapolis is very nice in parts you could build a pleasant life there as it's a fairly major metro - it's bluer or purple-er than the rest of the state. Bloomington, where Indiana University is located, is lovely - though it's not anywhere I'd want to live. Even being able to live in those areas, I'd still vote "no." It's clearly not the only state where you can live somewhere good/great but if you move outside that bubble things go south quickly - tons of states are like that. But, still, it's nowhere I'd look to live.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2022 1:51 PM

A friend moved from NYC to ft Wayne to take care of her partner’s mother. I know.

But they bought a really nice place with a big yard, she loves gardening which she couldn’t enjoy in the City, and they have tricked it up with lots of mid-century modern furniture that they love. They seem reasonably happy and have few regrets. They do think their neighbors are all too conservative though. .

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2022 1:52 PM

Oh sweet Jesus, where do I even begin?

To put it simply, you DO NOT WANT TO MOVE HERE!!! Indiana is full of fat, crazy, yelling, white MAGATs, some rich, some poor. Lots of druggies, most hiding from the law in some other state. No one wants to move here; everyone with any sense wants to LEAVE. No one stays here unless they absolutely must or are forced to as I was (family obligations). Gay life is practically non-existent.

Once it get its claws in you, Indiana will drain your blood, consume your soul, extinguish your light, and kill your heart, leaving you a bitter shell of your former self.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2022 1:56 PM

I can't go back there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2022 2:44 PM

[quote]Indiana is the home of gutless, spineless, dirtball ass kisser Mike Pence.

And New York City is the home of Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani. What else you got?

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2022 2:52 PM

"Once it get its claws in you, Indiana will drain your blood, consume your soul, extinguish your light, and kill your heart, leaving you a bitter shell of your former self."

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2022 2:52 PM

Fuck off then, OP. You sound like you would fit in here just fine and love it.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 3:11 PM

It's the East Texas of the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2022 3:21 PM

When Perdue is wooing new faculty, they make it a point of stressing its relative closeness to Chicago.

Indianapolis is not mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2022 3:31 PM

Purdue, not Perdue. I'm sort of surprised they do that. Chicago is two hours away from West Lafayette (where Purdue is located). Clearly close enough for a weekend excursion, but not for going out to eat at a great restaurant or seeing some cultural event on short notice on any particular day. Close enough to day trip if you have all day, but not to just go do something after work and then go home.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2022 3:38 PM

Thank you for that blast from the past R14.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2022 3:44 PM

Indiana is where deplorables move because Illinois schools are trying to turn their kids gay.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2022 3:47 PM

Californians have no idea where the hell Indiana even is. Elon Musk could set up a colony there and we would throw in on a Tesla charging station for our trip to New York.

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2022 3:48 PM

R13, no disrespect meant - I thought I was complimenting your writing skills.

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2022 3:48 PM

The cities on the Ohio river which are part of the Louisville metro (Clarksville,New Albany, Jeffersonvile) have some pleasant downtown areas and inexpensive homes.

People love to pile on but honestly one could easily live in a lot of the verboten areas that DL classifies as flyover MAGA hellscapes and surround yourself with progressive gay and straight people and find plenty to do.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2022 4:11 PM

It's because DL has a lot of snooty old school effete elites that can't deal with being outside of NYC, SF, LA

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2022 4:17 PM

I grew up in Evansville from age 7 to 16 (if they had to give the state of Indiana an enema, Evansville is where they’d stick the hose I remember a friend of my parents saying).

Anyway we left in 1982, so my observations are beyond stale. I don’t recall it being anything but a boring place where Indianapolis was the center of sophistication. No one I grew up with there was particularly religious, but when Facebook was first a thing I looked into people up and they had gone nuts for Jesus. Some classmates were arranging a meetup and some of them wouldn’t go to any restaurant that served alcohol. These were kids who used to like to party. Undoubtedly all MAGA now. Needless to say I couldn’t relate to any of them. Except for a couple of doctors and lawyers in Indianapolis, any of them with with any ambition left the state.

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2022 4:33 PM

[quote] Like everywhere there are probably good areas and bad areas.

Gary is a bad area.

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2022 4:34 PM

Jon McLaughlin - Indiana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2022 4:36 PM

Consider the fact that Ann Romano left Indianapolis for London that day in May, 1984 (taking her husband Sam Royer with her), and her daughter Julie left 'to find herself' abandoning her baby and husband a couple of years earlier, and her daughter Barbara and husband Mark moved out of the city to live with Gramma Katherine, and her abandoned son-in-law Max was heading back to Houston with his baby, and the building Super named Schneider was heading south to raise his orpahned niece and nephew...

I'd say Indianapolis is a great place to live since those assholes left 38 years ago. Their apartment is still available - hasn't been touched since Annie and Sam left it.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2022 4:41 PM

A lesson in Indiana geography:

North Vernon is south, South Bend is north, and French Lick is nothing like it sounds.

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2022 4:59 PM

I remember that r30. That a annoying nobody from Indy like Ann Romano would be recruited for an international job in London really stretched believability. I think Bonnie Franklin’s ego prompted that. Maybe she was hoping to get a spin-off London-set series on her glamorous new life, ditching the baggage of her old cast members.

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2022 6:10 PM

Is Kentucky a better place to live than Indiana?

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2022 8:18 PM

^^^ kentucky has much more pretty to beautiful scenery than does indiana but it is FAR TOO CONSERVATIVE, as is the basis for much of the problem with indiana.

As an after thought I'll add that kentucky is represented in the U.S. Senate by mitch mcconell and the odious, smug elitist rand paul.

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2022 8:25 PM

"And New York City is the home of Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani. What else you got?"

And New York City is one of the cultural, financial, medical and educational centers of the world, bar none, something shithole Indiana couldn't never even begin to approach.

But you knew that already. You simply wanted to be a big fucking dick, which you succeeded at, in spades.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2022 8:27 PM

It’s that bad. Birthplace of the KKK and not much different today. The 40 miles along Lake Michigan are the only bright spot…and I’m including Gary in that because at least that 3rd World city isn’t full of right wing whackos.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2022 9:05 PM

Judging by recent census data, there ain't much of anything or anyone in Gary, R36.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2022 9:18 PM

Land locked Florida.

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2022 11:36 PM

Indianapolis, South Bend, Gary, and West Lafayette (Perdue) all voted for Biden. It's always the farmers that fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2022 11:55 PM

As a gayling from LA, I was so into the dick of my well hung boyfriend that I followed him to Indianapolis when he was fed up with LA. Everyone told him he was going to be a star. You know how that story goes. I had only been to the midwest once and that was to visit him in Indianapolis. I decided to leave CA for the first time. I lasted 3 months. All we did was eat and a big night out was this place called Meijer which is basically like a Wal Mart that has everything. It's so flat and blight. The downtown is no fancy metropolis. Everyone is overweight. I gained weight. People eat instant mashed potatoes, meatloaf and actual biscuits. I flew back to LA after 6 weeks to get my hair cut and then I moved back another 6 weeks later. I do not recommend unless you are used to small towns.

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2022 6:00 AM

[quote] I was so into the dick of my well hung boyfriend that I followed him to Indianapolis

[quote] I gained weight

[quote] I moved back another 6 weeks later

Tops can be so cruel. He could have given you a little while longer to lose the extra weight before sending you back home.

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2022 7:31 AM

With the exception of southern Indiana, the place is flat, unsightly, depressing. Deep, dark red as Kentucky is but Kentucky is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2022 12:56 PM

I interviewed for a job at Ball State University in Muncie about 10 years ago (Arthur Hafner, you are STILL a complete cunt) - I feel like I dodged a major bullet. Agree that Kentucky is gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2022 1:13 PM

I born and have lived in Indiana much of my life and am a life time Democrat but I also lived 25 years in Michigan the people there aren't that different. ( I have only voted for a Republican once in my life and that was when I lived in Michigan and he was gay) Most of the people aren't that much different than in other parts of the country and are nice people and pleasant to be around. Yes there are bigots and plenty of them but come on look at Pennsylvania, millions of people there voted for Mastriano and elected Rick Santorum. New York gave us Trump and over three million New Yorkers voted to reelected him in 2020. California has given us Ronald Reagan, Devin Nunes, and McCarthy. Republicans have gerrymandered Indiana for years and people are use to seeing Republicans elected, some races the Democrats don't even bother to run anyone. Indiana taxes are generally lower than surrounding states which has meant an influx of people moving here to lower their taxes and those people tend to be conservative. One of the Indiana Senators voted for the Respect for Marriage Bill. The cost of living is lower here housing is much cheaper here than much of the country, energy prices are lower.

The landscape north of Indy is flat and boring but there is the Indiana Dunes National Park and Lake Michigan. South of Indy is beautiful but more conservative than the norther part of the state. Most of the major cities are Democratic with the suburbs Republican.

Like any other state it has its positives and minus, yes I have been tempted to move out at times but this is home.

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2022 1:30 PM

I'd rather live in Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky etc. Indiana is not only boring it's full of squares!!!

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2022 1:45 PM

[quote]And New York City is one of the cultural, financial, medical and educational centers of the world, bar none, something shithole Indiana couldn't never even begin to approach. But you knew that already. You simply wanted to be a big fucking dick, which you succeeded at, in spades.

New Yorkers are so easy to trigger. Oh, I guess I shouldn't use the word " trigger" around a New Yorker. Hey, if Mike Pence is fair game...

[quote]Indiana is the home of gutless, spineless, dirtball ass kisser Mike Pence.

...then Trump and Giuliani, who are 100 times worse, are also fair game. But then, you knew that these vile creatures were both products of your fine city.

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2022 2:33 PM

[quote] He could have given you a little while longer to lose the extra weight before sending you back home.

He got much fatter and is massive now. I was 22 and didn't realize he was lightly using crystal to keep his 6 pack abs when I met him in WeHo.

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2022 11:37 PM

"lightly using crystal" = heavily using crystal

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2022 11:47 PM

Chasten is from there.

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2022 11:47 PM

Pete was mayor of South Bend.

Chasten's parents have lived in neighboring Michigan. So was he raised there?

by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2022 2:25 PM

YES--it's the Florida of the north. Indiana is really that bad. I went to grad school there and I'm from the Chicago area. Holy hell, it's like you've gone through a time-warp when you are there. Fashions and hair styles are from 10 years ago. That's obviously just a minor irritation though. The real weird thing about Indiana is that the entire state feels like the old south in some ways. Don't forget this was the state where the KKK was reborn. Drive through certain parts as a person of color, even in some high population areas, and you'll feel like you're a burden. My friends also went to college in Indiana and they said the same thing. There absolutely was a feeling of racial tension among parts of the student population And that's without going into the homophobia of the state. Also, think about how few good things have come from the state; The Jacksons, Axel Rose, Mayor Pete. That's all I can think of. All the other Great Lakes states have more positive things to be said. And even a state like Kansas which you would think would be horrible has far nicer people and more beautiful scenery.

by Anonymousreply 51December 3, 2022 3:35 PM

*Axl Rose

by Anonymousreply 52December 3, 2022 3:37 PM

Your quick guide to the Upper Midwest:

Illinois > Michigan > Wisconsin > Minnesota > Iowa > Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2022 4:32 AM

Minnesota is the best Mid West state

by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2022 4:41 AM

[quote] And New York City is one of the cultural, financial, medical and educational centers of the world, bar none,

New York is the center of New York!

by Anonymousreply 55December 6, 2022 4:46 AM

Lord I can't go back there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2022 5:03 AM

My ex- in- laws and ex-husband are from Indiana. I live in Georgia and let me tell you I was shocked to find they were just as racist as the rednecks here. It is just like living in the south. Seriously, the people are no different. You have good, intelligent people, don't get me wrong. But it is very red republican. I was shocked! Shocked!

by Anonymousreply 57December 6, 2022 5:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!