Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who Were The Inspiration for “All About Eve”

Many conflicting reports.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2023 7:34 PM

I don't know, but I saw it last week for the first time and I've already rewatched it. I wish they'd make more psychological, character-driven movies and less superhero bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2022 4:48 AM

Apparently a once known theater actress named Elizabeth Bergner was the inspiration for Margo Channing.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2022 4:49 AM

I'm curious how audiences reacted to it in the day it was released. It was very forward-thinking in showing the women/wives onto Eve's bullshit and the husbands as easily duped.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2022 4:55 AM

R2 is right. Mary Orr's short story "The Wisdom of Eve" was based on an incident related to her by the Austrian actress Elisabeth Bergner. Orr's husband was a stage director, and she and Bergner and their spouses became friendly. Bergner told her of a young female fan who used to stand outside the theater and seemed very devoted. Bergner received her in her dressing room, and the girl told her a hard-luck story that touched Bergner. Bergner took her on a secretary and personal assistant (possibly lover as well?). Bergner was married to a great director, Paul Czinner, and this young woman turned out to have her own theatrical ambitions and may have tried to seduce Czinner, among other betrayals.

Per one account, the mystery woman was a serial offender, later attempting to ingratiate herself with opera diva Renata Tebaldi.

Sam Staggs's book All About 'All About Eve' is a good read for fans of the film; it's full of information. He's written similar books since about Sunset Blvd., A Streetcar Named Desire, and the Douglas Sirk version of Imitation of Life, but the All About Eve one was the first and the best.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2022 5:08 AM

To add to R4, Paul Czinner was gay and his marriage to Bergner was mostly for companionship and appearances. Bergner was most likely bisexual. If Martina (the real "Eve") tried to seduce Czinner to further an acting career, she likely got no farther than Eve does with Bill, although for different reasons.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2022 7:01 AM

I think the author of the Mankiewicz biography Kenneth Giest mentioned that Mank's wife Rose Stradner had some connection to the story's origin.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2022 8:02 AM

I've never saw this movie. How is it?

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2022 8:16 AM

Lizabeth Scott and Tallulah Bankhead is another:

Martina Lawrence-Elizabeth Bergner origin[44] of Mary Orr's short story, The Wisdom of Eve (1946),[45] the basis of the 1950 film All About Eve. Broadway legend had it that Bankhead was being victimized by Scott, who supposedly was the basis for the fictional Eve Harrington.[

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2022 8:18 AM

Great thread

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2022 3:20 PM

Helen Lawson and Neely O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2022 4:32 PM

My coworker

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2022 4:34 PM

I thought Scott was hired as Tallulah's understudy specifically to keep Tallulah on her toes, r8. Beyond that, I don't think there's a similarity.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2022 4:41 PM

Streisand was the inspiration for Margo Channing and Lanie Kazan was the inspiration for Eve.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2022 4:43 PM

R11 😂

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2022 4:44 PM

Elisabeth Bergner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2022 7:10 PM

Beanie Feldstein and Julie Benko

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2022 7:27 PM

Elisabeth Bergner was indeed the inspiration for Mary Orr's original magazine story The Wisdom of Eve, but Tallulah Bankhead was clearly the model for Bette Davis' portrayal of Margo, from the peek-a-boo brunette page boy to the careless trailing of her full length mink coat. Margo's star vehicle Aged in Wood was sort of based on Tallu's The Little Foxes.

Had Claudette Colbert (originally cast as Margo until a back operation kept her from filming) done the film, Margo would have had a very different look and manner (think soubrette bangs and a prominent featuring of her left profile).

Jeanne Crain was originally cast as Eve because Fox producer Darryl Zanuck thought she resembled Claudette (just, no!) but her pregnancy led to Fox contract player Anne Baxter getting the coveted role. Crain's syrupy sweetness would have been interesting to see put to use for Eve.

I don't think any of the male characters are based on any particular playwrights (or their wives), directors, producers or columnists. The columnist Addison de Witt, famously played by George Sanders, was actually an invention of screenwriter/director Joe Mankiewicz, as was Birdie Coonan, Thelma's unforgettable portrayal of Margo's dresser and confidante. They're not in Orr's original story and don't appear in the Broadway musical version APPLAUSE because the Broadway producers could not secure the rights to the film, only the story.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 7:35 PM

Would've been fun with Jane Wyman and Nancy Davis (Reagan).

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2022 7:39 PM

Lizabeth Scott didn't need to victimize anybody. My God, that woman could have turned this gold star gay straight for a weekend.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2022 7:53 PM

The looks and manners were Tallulah Bankhead, but the story was inspired by Elisabeth Bergner's experience.

Bette Davis resembled Tallulah Bankhead. Also, Tallulah Bankhead did the stage versions of "Jezebel", and "The Little Foxes", and "Dark Victory." Davis played them on film, much to Tallulah's chagrin.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2022 8:07 PM

[quote]Tallulah Bankhead did the stage versions of "Jezebel",

Guess again, r20.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2022 8:45 PM

R21, Tallulah Bankhead played "Jezebel" on stage, first. She was very ill, shortly thereafter. Miriam Hopkins replaced her.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2022 9:04 PM

I sit corrected, r22.

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2022 9:09 PM

Fantastic movie

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2022 9:35 PM

Margo Channing was based upon Jeanne Eagels (who created the role of Sadie Thompson in Rain) while Eve Harrington was based on Bunny Le Fluer, who later changed her name to Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2022 9:39 PM

Mank wanted June Allyson for Eve but MGM would not loan her to Fox. June had befriended Claudette after playing her daughter in the 1946 MGM film The Secret Heart. In that film June pined after Claudette's boyfriend, Walter Pidgeon.

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2022 9:41 PM

Andy Gibb and Rex Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2022 10:26 PM

[quote]The columnist Addison de Witt, famously played by George Sanders, was actually an invention of screenwriter/director Joe Mankiewicz, as was Birdie Coonan, Thelma's unforgettable portrayal of Margo's dresser and confidante. They're not in Orr's original story and don't appear in the Broadway musical version APPLAUSE because the Broadway producers could not secure the rights to the film, only the story.

There's a Birdie equivalent in Applause, though: Duane, Margo's gay hairdresser. One of the times Bette Davis saw the show, she told the actor playing Duane (Lee Roy Reams) that she had not liked that updating.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 12:27 AM

Baxter is probably the weakest of the principals---she betrays the phoniness of Eve rather quickly, but June Allyson? Her perky shit would have been awful.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 12:36 AM

Aw, fuck you, r29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 12:52 AM

Oh, I've always loved Baxter's performance as Eve, especially her different voices for different situations. When she's at liberty to be fully herself, she practically growls. There's a good switch from one mode to the other in the restroom blackmail confrontation with Karen.

I'd say the weakest of the seven biggest players is Hugh Marlowe. Lloyd Richards is the most colorless character, so it's fine that they didn't waste that part on someone more than serviceable. But in his one big opportunity, the shouting match with Margo at the rehearsal, he doesn't exactly make his comebacks sound as though they're spontaneously occurring. Stiff.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 12:54 AM

It would have been impossible luxury casting, but imagine Gregory Peck as Lloyd. He would certainly have been believable as a successful intellectual NY playwright.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2022 1:42 AM

I loved how at the end when Eve seems on top of the world she gets what she deserves-- someone just like her in her life. The closing scene was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2022 4:54 AM

[quote] Mank wanted June Allyson for Eve but MGM would not loan her to Fox.

I thought it was because they feared she’d pee on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 34December 3, 2022 8:32 AM

There’s a reporter who spoke to the REAL Eve. She denies everything. I wish I could find the article now.

by Anonymousreply 35December 3, 2022 8:34 AM

[quote] It was based on an actual incident involving Austrian actress Elisabeth Bergner during her run in the hit stage thriller "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" in 1943-44. The story's main character was, like Bergner, a foreign actress named Margola Cranston, before it was changed to Margo Channing.

Margo was foreign?

by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2022 8:34 AM

Eve was based on Martina Lawrence. Here’s the article.

[quote] Martina Lawrence insisted that she had never deceived Elisabeth Bergner, that the actress had imagined all of it. There were those who believed her and those who did not. One acquaintance who'd known Lawrence from her early Broadway years reported, with conviction, that the young woman had also made her way into the inner circle of opera legend Renata Tebaldi and "played Eve Harrington to her" for a while. The friend indicated that this incident wasn't widely known because, in the lofty realm of opera, "Divas don't like to admit they've been had."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2022 8:37 AM

Martina also used the name Ruth Maxine Hirsch.

[quote] In 1944, while starring on Broadway in a melodrama called “The Two Mrs. Carrolls,”actress Elisabeth Bergner noticed an aspiring actress and fan, Ruth Maxine Hirsch, waiting by the stage door every night. “Touched by her devotion,” Bergner hired the young woman to work for her and her husband, producer-director Paul Czinner, and helped Hirsch secure a small role in a Broadway show. But when Bergner found her fan reading aloud the older actress’ lines to a new cast member one night, she believed Hirsch was undermining her. She also began to suspect Hirsch of trying to steal Czinner. As a result, Hirsch was banned from the theater, although she did continue working for Czinner for a time. After the show closed, Bergner shared the story with director Reginald Denham and his wife, Mary Orr, who turned it into a short story called “The Wisdom of Eve,” which was published in Cosmopolitan in 1946. Screenwriter-director Joseph L. Mankiewicz bought the rights, turning it into a classic starring Bette Davis as Margo Channing — a character based on Bergner — and Anne Baxter as Eve Harrington, a stand-in for Hirsch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2022 8:39 AM

The second act was plodding and boring, as there should be a murder and a few sex scenes to spice things up.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2022 9:06 AM

R39 = Joan Crawford

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2022 10:14 AM

Crawford apparently was a big fan of the film. She would watch it on television every chance she got. But she wouldn't give any credit to Davis. She would say she watched it for "the SCRIPT and the DI-RECTION."

Trivia: Ronald Reagan and the future Nancy Reagan (Davis) appeared on casting lists of potential candidates for Bill Sampson and Karen Richards, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2022 10:27 AM

Kim Basinger and Hilaria Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2022 10:36 AM

Joe Mankiewicz and Joan Crawford were friends. He produced some of her films in the 1930. Joan was a big fan of "All About Eve", but she never told Joe how profusely she admired it.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2023 7:32 PM

Lea Michele. Margo was based on Ryan Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2023 7:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!