Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever fainted?

Tell us about it.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2022 11:07 AM

Yup. From heat.

Nobody around me noticed.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2022 4:05 PM

Yes, several times due to anemia. I broke my nose and ended up with stitches on my forehead the last time.

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2022 4:07 PM

No.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2022 4:10 PM

Yes, several times. Colorful spots in my vision until all I could see were blotchy colors, then I was down.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2022 4:15 PM

Yes, a couple of times, I think because of the medicine I was taking. I jumped up out of bed and down I went. It was like losing consciousness for just a second or two and waking up on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2022 4:17 PM

a couple of months ago, from dehydration, on a the platform on my way home, I kept my eyes open and remember everything, but couldn't move my body after my fall, some people called the station responsable and a passenger got me a bottle of water. I already felt bad at work, but wanted to save the taxi fare, it's too expensive...

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2022 4:27 PM

Once when I was a kid. I was cutting some cheese, ended up with a nasty cut between my thumb and index finger (still have a scar 30 years later). My mom put a bandage on it and then had the great idea to squeeze it. It hurt like hell. I was down less than minute but I clearly remember seeing me sitting on a chair in a dark place. Then I woke up with my mom holding me and my sisters slapping me in the face.

BITCHES. ALL OF THEM.

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2022 4:33 PM

Yes. Last day of work before a two week vacation. Plan was to get my ear pierced, because it would need two weeks to heal before I returned to work. This was in the 70s and getting an earring then was very gay and I needed to be able to remove it before I went back to work after the vacation.

Busy day, no breakfast and no lunch. Finished up work, got to the mall early for the piercing appointment and decided to have a beer to kill some time.

Bad idea on an empty stomach. As soon as I heard and felt the crunch through my ear, I was out cold. Came to on the floor with a crowd of people from the store standing around looking down on me. The store owners were freaked. Maybe they thought I would sue. I can hardly believe I was the first person that ever passed out getting an ear pierced.

Very embarrassing but not the end of the world. And my ear was pierced.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2022 4:49 PM

I nearly fainted once while giving blood ("swooned" seems like the more appropriate word). I was really embarrassed because it freaked out the otherwise indifferent Red Cross staff. I've always been the sturdy sort that tends to stay on their feet (even if I do want to throw up)

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2022 4:53 PM

Sorry to say it, but you sound like a wuss, r8 -- little tiny girls get their ears pierced all the time without passing out.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2022 4:53 PM

I developed a bad case of hives over night due to an allergic reaction. Got out of bed, and collapsed right back down in a dead faint.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2022 4:54 PM

R10

Well, I may still be a wuss, but I attributed it to the beers on an empty stomach.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2022 5:00 PM

The only time I ever actually fainted was when I was discharged from the hospital after my tonsillectomy. I got out of bed, and then fell right back onto it. Likely a residual effect of the anesthesia, combined with having been in bed for two days.

I do, however, sometimes suffer from orthostatic hypotension. I first discovered this many years ago while looking at some things on the bottom shelf at Whole Foods. I was crouching for a good amount of time, and when I stood up I was dizzy, and almost west over backward. I have since learned that when I stand from a squat I need to keep my hands on my knees while standing so that I am bent at the waist when standing, and then hold for a few seconds before standing completely upright.

Also, a few years ago I woke up on Boxing Day with a terrible case of vertigo. I didn't faint, but I fell down whenever I stood up.

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2022 5:01 PM

Has anyone fainted in response to an effrontery?

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2022 5:02 PM

I’ve fainted a few times. The first was at the dentist, age 14 or so, when I was having fillings for the first time. It was after I was given the numbing shots& they were taking effect, I was alone in the room overthinking it.

About10 yrs later I was donating blood in a college blood drive. It was the second time I’d donated there, the first time my bff fainted & I made fun of her (then karma bit me & we switched places the second time).

The last time I fainted was the oddest, I was getting ready to wash the car & was coming in the house with a bucket full of soapy water. I guess I was stressed & overwhelmed, & felt the black curtain falling down over my eyes, & saw the sky through the screen door as I went down backwards. I woke up a split second later with the bucket on my chest & not a drop spilled!

I almost fainted Xmas Eve ‘94 watching PulpFiction in the theater, the adrenaline shot scene. About 10 mins after& the scene was still with me, & I had to lean over & put my head between my knees or I would’ve passed out.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2022 5:33 PM

I’ve worked in children’s hospitals and I’ve seen some pretty horrendous bodily things, but when I had shoulder surgery and the surgeon was showing me photographs from the internal elements of his repair of my rotator cuff for some reason I completely swooned and nearly passed out. I felt very ridiculous, but I guess when it’s your own body it sets off something else. Also, he kept telling me that it looked angry, angry, angry- the angriest he’s ever seen, in almost a gleeful manner, and that seemed to push me over the edge as well.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2022 5:35 PM

R15, is your name M A R Y ?

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2022 5:38 PM

I decided I knew more that my primary physician. After all I have a medical degree from Google.

So, one day I doubled my meds for high blood pressure. Ended up fainting on a friends front yard. Hubby rushed me to ER thinking it was a heart attack.

Stayed in the hospital two days for testing. They said "Nothing wrong". Get outta here you are wasting bed space.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2022 5:48 PM

Yes, I was on a flight and my hands started to tingle, next thing I know The flight attendant is over me, lady next to me is undoing my sleeves...all very embarrassing. I ended up with the flu. I will always remember the lady next to me, such a mom, and checking in with me to see that I was ok for the rest of the flight. I had no flu symptoms when I boarded the flight, I was just tired.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2022 5:54 PM

i was at the teller's window at the bank. I suddenly felt weird. Next thing I knew I was sitting in a chair with a cup of water in my hand. Went to the doctor and everything checked out fine.

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2022 2:50 AM

Yes, u get extremely lightheaded, everything seems off kilter and peoples voices sound far away, then u come to on the floor and people tell you, you fainted.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2022 3:12 AM

I was in an airport in Russia, somebody pulled me up and put me in a chair and slipped something that tasted like charcoal under my tongue. Went to the doctor a few days after I got home and was sent straight to emergency, I had a pulmonary embolism and it was a miracle I made it home alive.

I sat and read books and watched movies on the long flights. If I could do it over again I would be getting up and walking a lot more and wear compression socks. I got the bloodclot in my lungs from sitting too long on a plane.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2022 3:17 AM

Yes, we had just finished dancing our big number. I hit the floor like a sack of turnips.

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2022 3:22 AM

Oh, come on. I fainted in a rehearsal with Gleb on his first season whilst I had flu. Even my fainting was dramatic yet graceful, as am I.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2022 7:45 AM

I had chicken pox as an adult and I fainted several times from it.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2022 8:31 AM

When I had Covid I had a particularly rough diarrhea episode, and when I stood up I slowly sank to my knees and everyrhing went kinda red. I woke up on the bathroom floor a short time later.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2022 10:21 AM

I fainted a couple of times when I was a gayling and had blood drawn. Thankfully, I'm over that.

One time I was with colleagues and friends at an instructional class about common STDs. They were projecting pictures of people with them and describing symptoms and cures, etc. One slide showed a NASTY vadge with some heinous-looking warts / sores on it. I was sitting at the end of a row; I fainted and fell off my chair. A couple of people helped me get up and took me outside to get fresh air. We all started laughing hysterically about it. Definitely a gold-star gay moment.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2022 11:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!