Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The White Lotus season two (part 4)

Is there a part four already created? I can't find it.

by Anonymousreply 603December 5, 2022 3:18 AM

Previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2022 1:14 PM

Next week's title sequence has leaked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2022 1:15 PM

To the person who said Valentina was rude to Dominic because he pussy blocked her. I think she was rude cause he made her have those two prostitutes be allowed to hang in a hotel. And he was asking where he could buy some jewelry for his wife, while she knows he is sleeping with prostitutes and unfaithful to his wife.

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2022 1:20 PM

Clearly, Quentin wanted Tanya to see him getting fucked by Jack and left his bedroom door ajar with that purpose. I'm shocked none of you have realized that little detail. He's playing with Tanya from all directions.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2022 1:29 PM

I could see that Jack was a rentboy fucking the "uncle" three episodes ago.

The actor is very very good though.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2022 1:33 PM

I just want to see the lesbian find love and be happy by the time the season is over.

Oh, and I want to eat Alessio's ass. That, too.

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2022 1:35 PM

Maybe Ethan is secretly in love with Daphne this whole time and is playing the long game.

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2022 1:36 PM

When Leo Woodall is lying naked on the bed, he reached around to scratch an ass cheek.

I think it would have been more in character and funnier if he had reached in and scratched hole.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2022 1:38 PM

Replying to R 584 from thread three: Lucia blew Albie, gratis, in episode 4. She drops the prostitution bomb on him in episode 5. Because she very clearly informed Cam and Ethan up front that it costs money, the fact that she withheld this information from Albie suggests she had a bigger payoff in mind from the start. We see that Lucia knows Albie is with Dom, and Dom is from California, where she says she wants to go.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2022 1:41 PM

Everything in this show is a red herring.

The series has taught me the value of a murder mystery. 45 seconds dedicated to showing a coffin last season and part of a dead body this season has resulted in ongoing excited speculation about who killed whom and why. Every little slight is seen as a potential rationale for murder, and viewers take every bit of bait that is offered. The best part is that almost all reasons for resentment are false leads but any one of them could be the foundational reason for a death. And since the whole series is predicated on someone dying, and it's so full of manipulations, everyone watching assumes murder when any death could be accidental or even from natural causes.

But the minute of dead body at the beginning and the two minutes of reveal at the end load the whole narrative with tension and gets people to scrutinize and endlessly question characters' motivations. What a great literary device.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2022 1:42 PM

Yeah, Lucia does like Albie. And Lucia is a prostitute. And Lucia is manipulative. And Lucia is forceful. And Lucia is telling Albie that her pimp is being mean to her so that Albie will sympathize with her—she can like him while also manipulating him.

We see that Lucia is bold about getting the money she earned. I think Lucia's long game with Albie, decicing to tell him not to pay her while ignoring his father's demands that she stay away from him, is that she knows she can get a hell of a lot of money (or whatever she demands) from Albie's father because he is so afraid she's going to tell Albie she fucked him and his father. Albie is naive and sweet and he'd have a total meltdown. So the closer she gets to Albie, the more the father is going to be willing to supply to protect Albie from finding out he stuck his dick where his dad stuck his.

And I don't believe Lucia has a pimp. She has been calling the shots as a free agent for herself and her friend since the beginning. She doesn't seem like anyone's pushover. She just knows 100 different ways to work a guy. She comes on sweet and remains sweet while she earns her cash and then when she gets stiffed by Cameron, she gets bold and when Albie's dad tries to confront her, she shrugs him off. She's more of a self-sufficient businesswoman than the front desk lady is.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2022 1:49 PM

I'm finding it hard to believe after the last episode that Albie, innocent though he may be, hasn't figured out by now that Lucia fucked his dad.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2022 1:53 PM

Cast interviews about their characters have been revealing and so far have *not* turned out to be red herrings.

Everyone says that Tanya's husband is the worst of all the characters—so his leaving is nefarious.

Upon sevond thought, some have said Cameron is the worst, and Theo said Cameron reveals himself to be increasingly manipulative and bad as the season goes on.

He and the actress who plays his wife say that the couple they play really love one another more than anything, so their seeming marital problems are not problems for them.

Everyone agrees Albie is the nicest person and totally naive, so I don't see him turning bad at all but expect that his naivety will be used as a weapon against his dad.

And the actress who plays the hotel manager said she had a panic attack over getting the role because the actor who played the hotel manager last year won an Emmy and anchored the show with a brilliant performance and 'that's a tough act to follow.' So she sees her character as a similar one to the one from the first season. And she is similar. She's snarky with guests, snappish with her staff when she is in a mood, she secretly lusts after one of her employees and is starting to make questionable decisions to get closer to them, she compromised herself over someone.

A lot of the characters are very similar. The newlywed husband and Cameron are similar, the newlywed wife and Aubrey Plaza's characters are similar, the doofy dad is kind of like Ethan, etc.

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2022 1:58 PM

I didn't find Albie's reaction to finding out he had just fucked a prostitute very believable.

He didn't even blink. "Oh, sure. Cool."

A guy that insecure would have been devastated to realize that the cute girl who had wanted him because he's a cute, nice guy really wanted his money.

And her saying, "I like you, but I still want my money" would not be treated so insignificantly.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2022 2:01 PM

[quote] Replying to R 584 from thread three: Lucia blew Albie, gratis, in episode 4. She drops the prostitution bomb on him in episode 5.

I don't understand your definition of gratis when she charges him the overnight rate, which includes the blowjob in episode four. The blowjob and the sex in episode four and five took place in the same night.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2022 2:04 PM

I'm finding the hotel manager difficult to believe.

She is so hard-edged most of the time, but then turns into an idiot when it suits the plot.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2022 2:04 PM

[quote] but he's too polite to do anything but grin and bare it for the vacation

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2022 2:04 PM

I tell the Lucia person: All ways get zee money UP FRONT!

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2022 2:06 PM

r16 She turns into an idiot when she's being manipulated and flustered by pretty women. Presumably, she's never had a proper romantic relationship with one.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2022 2:09 PM

This show has the perfect Datalounge formula: beautiful people fucking each other (including guys fucking guys) and fucking each other over in a glamorous locale.

I wonder if the next season will be so much about sex, though, since the first season wasn't. It was more about money and power.

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2022 2:10 PM

[quote] To the person who said Valentina was rude to Dominic because he pussy blocked her. I think she was rude cause he made her have those two prostitutes be allowed to hang in a hotel. And he was asking where he could buy some jewelry for his wife, while she knows he is sleeping with prostitutes and unfaithful to his wife.

Maybe that is your interpretation, but I think her rudeness towards Dominic and reassigning Rocco are connected.

But then that's the beauty of The White Lotus, there are plenty of scenes and story developments that can be interpreted differently.

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2022 2:12 PM

Speaking of gay...Adam is gay.

Unquestionably gay voice.

And in interviews, everyone describes him as 'sweet,' and he said he wants to go on vacation with Meghann and Haley Lu because they were his best friends on set...haggidy haghag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2022 2:14 PM

[quote]he's too polite to do anything but grin and bare it for the vacation

Oi! That's my job.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2022 2:17 PM

R22 Yep! That is the ticket. She is too demonstrative in her desire to win over the object of her desire. In Dom's case,he brought the hookers in and that annoyed the manager. In addition,his interaction with her love object annoyed her. In the end I hope Rocco and her crush carry on together. The manager deserves a little shit flung in her face for her behavior. Such petty favoritism(even to Eva) and rude behavior to guests should have it's consequences.

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2022 2:20 PM

I want the next season to take place in Mexico or south-southeast Asia. I guess Thailand is the only country in SE Asia that would have a hotel like White Lotus, right? Or Philippines maybe

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2022 2:22 PM

White Lotus: Akron

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2022 2:23 PM

R24 Are that girl and Rocco into each other or are they just good friendsz joking around and having fun on an incredibly boring job?

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2022 2:24 PM

R27 They seemed to be flirting but we were watching through the eyes of Valentina.

I think the actress who plays the woman desk clerk is doing a great job. She maintains her customer-service smile but conveys a lot of different emotions and thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2022 2:27 PM

[quote]I think the actress who plays the woman desk clerk is doing a great job.

I disagree. She is coming across as a cipher. He is placed in several cringy situations and seems oblivious.

by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2022 2:29 PM

Valentina is like Murray. She's gay, she's got a thing for a young employee, she's preying on her. She's slower and so far doesn't use drugs to entice her like Murray did, but otherwise they are very similar, down to their disdain for their guests.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2022 2:29 PM

Valentina also goes off on the guy at the cafe who hits on her. It looks like she doesn't like men, and people in general, that much. Hence, her eating lunch with the cats in the alley (which I personally can totally relate to). Which makes her choice of earning a living rather odd.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2022 2:37 PM

R30 Not really. Murray always put on a nice face, was smiling and being polite, even though he was faking it majority of the time. Valentina rarely smiles and seems annoyed with everyone, but isn't trying to fake it and smile for them. Called grandpa an old man to his face, was rude to Tanya when she and Greg were posing on a scooter, called her Pepa the pig, was rude to Dom when he asked about the jewelry shop, always yelling at the staff. She seems miserable cause she is lonely. Murray didn't seemed that way

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2022 2:38 PM

Murray Bartlett's character was named Armond.

Armond seemed to hate his job as much as Valentina does. But he had a theatrical background and so could perform being a nice person to the guests (except to the one he hated because he tried to bully him).

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2022 2:41 PM

R32 He did to me. He was aggressively friendly. He was full of hostility. And he was a lonely addict.

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2022 2:42 PM

I wasn't buying that Portia didn't notice that nobody paid for dinner.

Her whole "Why are we running?" thing was stupid.

She would have known they walked out without paying.

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2022 2:44 PM

R34 But at least he faked being nice. And didn't seemed to hate everyone. He was a friend with that wellness lady, was nice to guests that weren't privileged assholes, felt bad for being rude to that pregnant staff lady and not even noticing she was pregnant and overworked. Also, he wasn't closeted and hiding who he is.

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2022 2:46 PM

I would like to see the next episode to be Australia and to be set in the 2010s and have it be Murray Bartlett’s earlier days while he’s young enough to play his younger self.

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2022 2:47 PM

What was up with Valentina's makeup when she was talking to the whore about playing the piano?

She looked like a blind old woman who inartfully put lipstick around her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2022 2:47 PM

Next week, Portia asks, "Why are we always doing it in the butt?"

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2022 2:47 PM

Valentina reminds me of someone who works at a Gucci store.

Their job is to be nice to customers, but they are so impressed that they work at a place that caters to people with money, they mistakenly start acting like they do, too and become cunts.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2022 2:49 PM

R39 Hopefully meaning a strap on in Leo’s butt.

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2022 2:49 PM

"Jack NASTY!"

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2022 2:49 PM

R40 You can drop the attitude. YOU ONLY WORK IN A SHOP, YOU KNOW!

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2022 2:50 PM

R37 No, no time jumps, please. And was even hinted that he worked at another White Lotus hotel before Hawaii?

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2022 2:50 PM

Armond treated the guests like they are needy, petulant children. And some of these children needed to be taught a lesson. He was playing with them and putting on an act. That's what I got from the character. And his job took so much out of him that he used drugs and alcohol to cope.

There are a lot of unhappy characters and all it needs is one little incident to bring all the resentment, anger and frustration to the surface. He double booked the room (oops!) and then overreacted when Shane, who has more than his fair share of flaws, called him out on giving them a cheaper room while charging him, or his mom really, for the better one they didn't get.

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2022 2:52 PM

I find the small-town hooker's singing and English phrasing to be too sophisticated to be believable.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2022 3:03 PM

R27 Could be either or. However the manager has overstepped her boundaries. She's been having lunch alone feeding cats for a reason.....

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2022 3:03 PM

R39 Portia has a strap on with her? She only carries her crochet materials ,her dowdy clothes and her cat....

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2022 3:07 PM

Portia looks so gay to me. But the actress apparently isn't, so what do I know

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2022 3:08 PM

[quote]Armond seemed to hate his job as much as Valentina does.

That was one aspect of S1 that I really liked was the toll that this "luxury" resort took on people in the service industry. I thought what contributed to Armond completely going off the deep end was not just the continual hectoring from Shane, but that he didn't notice that the young attendant was pregnant and admitted that he'd been picking on her all day. The pressure + his addiction issues + dealing with these obnoxious people just pushed him over the edge. I think that made you root for Armond even in situations in which he was clearly in the wrong (Shane just wanted someone to kiss his ass, which Armond could've done on a better day).

Valentina just seems all around unpleasant and aside from her sexuality, we don't really know enough about her to understand why she seems to view everyone with contempt.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2022 3:18 PM

R46, I mentioned that in the previous thread, just sayin’.

Speaking of the previous thread someone speculated if Tom Hollander was straight. He is although he’s played several gay characters on stage and on screen. He’s currently shooting a Ryan Murphy’s Feud series in NYC as Truman Capote with Naomi Watts, Diane Lane, Demi Moore and Calista Flockhart.

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2022 3:18 PM

I'm shocked to learn Tom Hollander is apparently straight. I've always assumed he was openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2022 3:20 PM

I'm still hoping S3 will be set on an African safari. There have been almost NO black actors in the first two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2022 3:25 PM

R53 It's a show about privileged rich people from US, so it's natural they are mostly white. As far as the location goes, I don't think that many black people live in Hawaii and especially in Sicily.

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2022 3:29 PM

At this point, has Albie paid Lucia around $2,500?

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2022 3:30 PM

I would assume White would want every season to be by the ocean with a beach which rules out certain places.

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2022 3:31 PM

Africa would be cool…hmmm, the fabulous Sheila Atim would be great as the manager of the White Lotus -Africa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2022 3:33 PM

R56 Can he even stay long in the sun? Is he an albino?

by Anonymousreply 58November 29, 2022 3:34 PM

Jon Gries' character is that cowboy from Wyoming Quentin was talking about, right?

by Anonymousreply 59November 29, 2022 3:36 PM

[quote] Armond treated the guests like they are needy, petulant children. And some of these children needed to be taught a lesson.

You make it sound like he was within his rights.

That's never what a hotel manager is supposed to do at a top-of-the-line luxury hotel. He turned out to be a disaster at his job. Had he not been killed he would have been fired. He stole one guest's drugs; he shit on another guest's bags; he never made things right for that guest's stay although he was not given the room to which he had paid for due to an employee's error.

So far, Valentina has said some obnoxious things to the guests, but that's more because of a difference in manners and customs than that she's not behaving the way a hotel manager should.

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2022 3:41 PM

They should definitely do Asia or Africa next. Maybe Australia? Islands like Fiji or ones in the Caribbean are too similar a setting to Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 61November 29, 2022 3:42 PM

It is too similar to Hawaii. Like Spain or Greece would be too similar to southern Italy. I would like Thailand or Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2022 3:44 PM

Bhutan, with luxury meditation huts, Buddhist temples and everything. "9 Perfect Strangers" tried to do something like that but it was premiocre crap. Mike White would do a much better job.

by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2022 3:45 PM

During/after the first season, Mike White responded to criticisms about his introducing native Hawaiian characters and having them just lose at life and then disappear by saying that he accepts the criticisms and doesn't know how to respond, and that he intentionally chose not to write those characters' perspectives because he doesn't understand them, being a white man. He said that when he was young, he belonged to a marginalized group and was treated poorly because of it, and then being gay and bi became trendy and he was privileged because of it, and now in middle age, being gay/bi is irrelevant and he is seen just as a privileged middle-aged white man and he feels like he has always been the same person but treated in maniacally different ways based on how people see him. He's trying to be sensitive to the reality that he has limited perspective, and he doesn't want to tell other people's stories from their points of view because he can't know their points of view. And he acknowledged he can't win either way: if he doesn't tell minorities' stories, then he is overlooking them. If he does tell those stories, he may get them wrong and he will be seen as a white man taking up space of a minority writer who could do a better job telling their own story. If I remember correctly, all he would say other than that is "I take the criticism."

If anyone here follows publishing or is a writer, then you may know about the "#OwnStories" movement in the publishing sector. As part of a diversity movement, publishers and agents actively seek out stories of underrepresented people written by authors who belong to the same group. Authors are encouraged to disclose when pitching a novel if it is an "OwnStories" novel, meaning if I wrote about gay characters, I should identify it as "an #OwnStories novel." If I wrote about black characters, I'd be expected to disclose that I am not black and to explain that I have a cohort of sensitivity readers who have helped me to craft the characters. I'm in a writing group with a woman who has included gay characters in her novel and she is always asking me if her character rings true. I always tell her her character is an individual human being, not the same person as me, and that as long as she writes a believable person, I can believe it's a gay person. The movement really weirds me out and it makes me a bit insecure because most of my primary characters always have been women for some reason and I am not going to transition my gender just so I can claim I have the authority to write from a woman's perspective.

by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2022 3:46 PM

^I think there's something about the island environment (ex. when the hotel worker went into labor, paramedics were 30 minutes away on the other side of the island) in which the staff & guests are all kind of stuck together that I think adds to the show. If people could easily escape each other, it's not quite the same.

by Anonymousreply 65November 29, 2022 3:47 PM

Very hard to believe that Lucia can command €2000 a night. She is not beautiful, not well-dressed, and totally unprofessional. She and Mia act like a couple of high school girls. The only professional thing she has going for her is her fluency in English. When I'm in the south of France, I see the pros strutting around and in the restaurants - truly beautiful statuesque Russians, elegantly and carefully dressed. The nighttime streetwalkers are many notches below that.

by Anonymousreply 66November 29, 2022 3:49 PM

Someone on the previous thread the rumors are that the next season will be set in Thailand.

Since this season and last season used Four Seasons hotels, so I expect they will use them for other seasons will as well.

Here is a list of the Four Seasons hotels around the world and where they are located.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 29, 2022 3:51 PM

I'm assuming the Four Seasons enjoys many benefits from the production using their hotels?

by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2022 3:56 PM

Lucia told Cameron that $1800 was not enough, then she told Albie she charges $1300 for overnight. Her rates seem to be all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 69November 29, 2022 3:57 PM

Lucia is making it up as she goes along.

by Anonymousreply 70November 29, 2022 4:00 PM

Sliding scale fee is common with whores, I'd charge less for a pretty client, more for an ugly one...life isn't fair.

by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2022 4:00 PM

To DARKGEMINILORD who called me a bi cunt scum in the previous thread:

What is your deal? If I find Haley Lu (the actress, not her character) attractive, then what about it? Remember, sexuality is a spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 72November 29, 2022 4:01 PM

[quote]I have not seen it mentioned yet, the French guy from Quentin's circle of friends is also in Netflix's Emily In Paris.

Thank you, r540 from thread #3. It was driving me crazy trying to remember where I've seen him!

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2022 4:03 PM

Cameron needed to pay for her and Mia r69. Why it's double the price.

by Anonymousreply 74November 29, 2022 4:05 PM

r72, why the hell are you trying to engage with (and bring back to this thread!) a much-hated troll who has serious psychological problems? Work out your problems with him elsewhere--this is not the place for it.

A plague on both your houses.

by Anonymousreply 75November 29, 2022 4:05 PM

I can top that, R72. R333 in the last thread told me to kill myself because I didn't find Will Sharpe appealing.

by Anonymousreply 76November 29, 2022 4:08 PM

R63 Would a luxury hotel like White Lotus exist in Buthan?

by Anonymousreply 77November 29, 2022 4:08 PM

R75 Sorry, I was taken aback when he attacked me for such a harmless comment. Won't do it again.

We can continue discussing Leo Woodall's fine plump ass.

by Anonymousreply 78November 29, 2022 4:09 PM

R66 Not beautiful? This can only be written by a gay man or a straight woman. The girl is breathtakingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 79November 29, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote] Lucia told Cameron that $1800 was not enough, then she told Albie she charges $1300 for overnight. Her rates seem to be all over the place.

Two guys and two girls. Of course, it's more. Plus who supplied the drugs?

Cameron has to be broke ass if he can't afford that. Or as I have theorized since the beginning, Cameron has put all his assets in his wife's name idiotically thinking it will protect him in case he loses the lawsuits. and he can't access much without her permission/cards.

by Anonymousreply 80November 29, 2022 4:12 PM

R66 That bit on the model-esque tall Russian women! I've seen them out and about in Saint-Tropez.

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2022 4:13 PM

I wonder if Mike White put a couple references to the Elena Ferrante novels in here for fun? There are two local Italian girls, best friends scheming to get ahead, here Lucia Greco and Mia (something?). In Ferrante the two girls are from Naples and are also best friends, Elena (Lenu) Greco and Lila Cerullo.

by Anonymousreply 82November 29, 2022 4:13 PM

[quote] Very hard to believe that Lucia can command €2000 a night. She is not beautiful, not well-dressed, and totally unprofessional.

I disagree. She would be considered gorgeous and sensual by most men. More so than the bland, boring looking bleached blonde wife. When straight men want to fuck they don't care about clothes or "unprofessionalism". In fact, they want the opposite. Cameron is a slobby mess of a man - morally and sartorially.

by Anonymousreply 83November 29, 2022 4:17 PM

R10 - love that analysis and I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's a riveting watch for me every week, no matter how slow each story arc progresses. Simmering resentments, lust, cold-hearted strategizing, desperation - love it all.

by Anonymousreply 84November 29, 2022 4:20 PM

[quote] [R63] Would a luxury hotel like White Lotus exist in Buthan?

Oh, yes. There are luxury places like Six Senses all over the place. The government sets the minimum (it used to be $200 a number of years ago) any visitor must spend per night per person for accommodation, so luxury resorts are pretty much your only choices. Plus you can't really travel anywhere without a designated guide and a driver (which could be used as a part of the plot.)

by Anonymousreply 85November 29, 2022 4:24 PM

Two thousand euros for a full night is fairly standard pay for two young pretty escorts.

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2022 4:28 PM

Does Lucia have a solid retirement plan?

by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2022 4:32 PM

Did Rocco in the the begging of the first episode said a few dead bodies? Or a couple? Anyway, sounds more than just two. It must be the gays.

by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2022 4:32 PM

r66 If you're going to get all realistic on it, there would already be pros working a five star resort who'd run Lucia off. And the manager of a five star resort trying to keep hookers out and giving guests a hard time for hiring them would last about five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2022 4:35 PM

Escorts do more than just sex. She and Albie made out at the bar and made him look less like a loser being dumped by Portia for the chav (gay4pay?) hustler. Of course, that was before Albie knew she was an escort.

It is sort of funny how both Portia and Albie unwittingly threw away the good thing they had going in favor of being with manipulative prostitutes which, I imagine, will end in tears for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2022 4:35 PM

"What do you want me to do to your holes? Be more specific."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 29, 2022 4:36 PM

Like the poster in thread #3, I thought the "in love with a straight cowboy from Wyoming" memory was Quentin (?) deliberately using the Brokeback Mountain story to manipulate Tanya emotionally because he does think she's stupid enough to fall for it. Never for a moment thought the cowboy might be Greg, although Greg might be in on the con with these guys since they showed up so conveniently after he departed.

by Anonymousreply 92November 29, 2022 4:36 PM

Didn't Bert, Dominic and Albie go to Sicily to reconnect with their roots, visit the places where their ancestors are from? So far they've been only hanging around the hotel. Banging hookers, swimming in the pool, eating and arguing around the table (90% of the time). The only time they left the hotel was when they went to the place where Godfather was filmed.

by Anonymousreply 93November 29, 2022 4:37 PM

I love the actress playing Valentina. For some reason, so much emotion comes through in every scene she's in even when she's not saying anything. The scene where Mia is outing her so she could play the piano and sing was intensely sad for me to watch and all because of the Valentia character. Just waves of painful loneliness coming through the screen at me. (I know I know, MARY!)

by Anonymousreply 94November 29, 2022 4:39 PM

The "queen of Sicily" thing made it clear to the gay guy how dumb Tanya is. And would a gang of gay men really take a woman to the opera and then murder her? Maybe the hubby thought one of them was mafia and set them up to kill her and their plan is to tell her he did that and make her pay them a fortune not to be killed. Tanya seems like the kind of character who could turn out to be more intelligent than she appears. She does tell Portia that she likes rich people because they don't want your money. That could be foreshadowing about them being not rich and wanting her money, and also that she understands people better than she seems to understand them. She did read Belinda well enough in Hawaii to string her along.

by Anonymousreply 95November 29, 2022 4:41 PM

I think the Valentina actress is great too. So many complicated emotions roiling under her surface. Her face legitimately flushed as that scene with Mia went on!

by Anonymousreply 96November 29, 2022 4:41 PM

[quote]That could be foreshadowing about them being not rich and wanting her money

Well yes r95, this is what everyone has been assuming. That group of gays is after her money, they need cash.

by Anonymousreply 97November 29, 2022 4:43 PM

R93 I think Dom has been revealed to be that type of superficial Hollywood American who would go to Sicily for a pilgrimage to a set from The Godfather as a nod to his ancestry. His father is only there for the sights (the young women). I assumed that was the whole point about them being Italian American—they have zero relationship to their 'homeland' of Sicily. They don't understand the culture, they don't care about the history or the language. They're really just Americans on vacation at a luxury resort indulging in their vices.

by Anonymousreply 98November 29, 2022 4:45 PM

R97 I know, but I meant to say that it could serve a dual purpose of foreshadowing that and also showing us that Tanya's not quite as much of an idiot as we think.

by Anonymousreply 99November 29, 2022 4:45 PM

Tanya was also perceptive in her assessment of what Portia was doing with Albie.

by Anonymousreply 100November 29, 2022 4:47 PM

I think Quentin and his gang are just mean and shallow bitches who like to mess with people. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditch her for someone else to play with when they get bored with her and there is nothing more to the story. Sort of like Tanya getting a taste of her own medicine with what she did to Belinda in season one.

by Anonymousreply 101November 29, 2022 4:47 PM

[quote] Didn't Bert, Dominic and Albie go to Sicily to reconnect with their roots, visit the places where their ancestors are from? So far they've been only hanging around the hotel.

That's not true.

In the second episode they went to see sights in Taormina (including the Roman amphitheatre), and then they went to see the villa used for the location shooting in "the Godfather." They've also said they aren't planning to spend the entire time at the hotel and will move onwards.

by Anonymousreply 102November 29, 2022 4:50 PM

R98 Really? Dom didn't come across as superficial and fake to me at all. Apart from his sex addiction, he seemed like a pretty decent guy. Well that and him trying to use his son to get him back with his wife.

by Anonymousreply 103November 29, 2022 4:50 PM

R102 That's true. But none of those places are where Bert's family was from, which was the main reason they came to Sicily. And that was just one day. The rest of the time they just hang around the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 104November 29, 2022 4:52 PM

What is great about this season’s theme is that it isn’t just about sex, it’s about transactional sex. The many ways that sex is bought or bartered, used as a lure or as payment for luxuries rendered or withheld. And what I love about it is that we can both accurately guess at motives (i.e. Cameron isn’t as cash rich as he seems and longs to bilk his old college roommate of his new found fortune) and yet we have no clue about how each character and relationship will end. Add the large number of uncomfortable conversations and encounters per episode, and you have a series that slowly rachets up the tension episode by episode. It’s a brilliant formula for a TV series — familiar template concept but with infinite variables each season. The perfect recipe for a good mystery.

by Anonymousreply 105November 29, 2022 5:07 PM

I completely agree. Albie's reaction to finding out she was a prostitute who wanted money rang false to me r14.

This is a guy that just got rejected by Portia and the girl who was "his win" wants 2k for sleeping with him? He would be feeling way worse than how his reaction was written.

by Anonymousreply 106November 29, 2022 5:08 PM

I loved Ethan's snipes at Cameron, especially regarding the shift in status now that Ethan is wealthy. That was pretty bluntly assertive compared to how Ethan has responded to any kind of tension so far. I think Ethan knows Cam is not doing as well financially as he pretends and is secretly (if quietly) enjoying it. Personally, I think Ethan could express his current superiority more efficiently just by being naked more often on screen.

by Anonymousreply 107November 29, 2022 5:12 PM

[quote]Dom didn't come across as superficial and fake to me at all. Apart from his sex addiction, he seemed like a pretty decent guy.

Yes, apart from letting the pursuit of sex devastate his wife and alienate his children, and continuing to lie about it even as he professes to do better, he seems like a real peach.

by Anonymousreply 108November 29, 2022 5:13 PM

I would like to see the next one set in North Africa. Egypt, Morocco, or Tunisia would be fine. Inshallah!

by Anonymousreply 109November 29, 2022 5:15 PM

Let's all take a moment to revisit the indie film that Mike White wrote and starred in in 2000, about a guy who won't get over the teenage romance he had with a now straight childhood friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 29, 2022 5:16 PM

[quote]Personally, I think Ethan could express his current superiority more efficiently just by being naked more often on screen.

Wouldn't say that, we saw the prosthetic in the premiere. Cameron is supposed to be well endowed. Ethan has a better body but we all know how much dick size matters to guys.

But I did like seeing Ethan be more aggressive towards him. He should want to rub the fact he is richer than Cameron is now in his face.

by Anonymousreply 111November 29, 2022 5:17 PM

I thought he was gay too.

by Anonymousreply 112November 29, 2022 5:21 PM

I don't think Lucia is gorgeous. She is cute, but has a big nose. Daphne is gorgeous to me, as is Valentina, though the actress is 54 years old.

by Anonymousreply 113November 29, 2022 5:27 PM

Lucia looks quintessentially Italian and American men coming there and looking for a whore are going to find her exactly what they were imaging.

by Anonymousreply 114November 29, 2022 5:39 PM

R113 Yes, I agree that Daphne is very beautiful. That perfect smile tho.

You might also consider Portia, although I know she's an acquired taste. She's very cute and adorable.

by Anonymousreply 115November 29, 2022 5:45 PM

If Cameron brought Ethan to Sicily only to get money from him, wouldn't he act more decent? Not getting high with him and setting him.uo with a hooker, telling him he should cheat etc?

by Anonymousreply 116November 29, 2022 6:18 PM

Did Cameron left the condom wrapper on the sofa, on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 117November 29, 2022 6:19 PM

They were drunk and rolling on molly r117. It's more realistic that he just actually never thought about it.

by Anonymousreply 118November 29, 2022 6:22 PM

That's what I think R117.

by Anonymousreply 119November 29, 2022 6:22 PM

The key thing to the condom wrapper still being there was that Ethan was to hung over and turned away housekeeping. Otherwise it would have been found and there’s no way Cameron could have predicted that enough to leave it as evidence.

by Anonymousreply 120November 29, 2022 6:43 PM

r120, you forget that they were roommates in college. Cameron could've predicted how Ethan's hangover plays out (including wanting his peace and not let the maid in). It would fit with Cameron playing petty mind games with both Ethan and Hunter.

However, I do agree that this is incredibly far-fetched. Especially since that sort of blew up in his face.

by Anonymousreply 121November 29, 2022 6:53 PM

The whole series will end with one of Quentin's gay friends whipping off a latex, Mission Impossible-style mask to reveal Tanya's husband. Cough, cough. Blackout. The End?

by Anonymousreply 122November 29, 2022 6:55 PM

I think being rejected by Portia because she wasn't sexually attracted to him and then discovering that the girl he thought was sexually attracted to him was fucking him for money would be devasting to Albie.

by Anonymousreply 123November 29, 2022 7:04 PM

Does Lucia have a Roth IRA?

by Anonymousreply 124November 29, 2022 7:06 PM

I thought it was interesting that the actor playing Albie said Albie is a nice guy, but beware of guys who tell you they are nice guys.

Makes me wonder what he knows about the character that we don't.

by Anonymousreply 125November 29, 2022 7:07 PM

Loosha has dreams of opening a shop and finding a nice person to settle down with.

I can relate!

by Anonymousreply 126November 29, 2022 7:09 PM

People are disturbed by Portia's style!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 29, 2022 7:12 PM

I think being rejected by Portia, an un-pretty, low-status girl, was wounding to Mr Stanford whose father is a rich Hollywood big shot. He was so desperate for female validation that it didn't even matter that he had to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 128November 29, 2022 7:14 PM

I really hope Albie doesn’t die.

by Anonymousreply 129November 29, 2022 7:16 PM

Albie is a young guy and he wanted to get off but he is acculturated to want to be respectful, maybe even to be afraid of not being respectful. He seemed unbothered when suddenly conflicted Portia said "Have a nice life. He chuckled and said "Yeah, you, too." He didn't seem torn up about it at all.

by Anonymousreply 130November 29, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote] I think being rejected by Portia, an un-pretty, low-status girl, was wounding to Mr Stanford

Straight boys don't find Portia un-pretty. Both Albie and Jack have been attracted to her (as has Bert)--she has a great body.

by Anonymousreply 131November 29, 2022 7:21 PM

R131 Pretty sure Jack will stick his dick inside anything...

by Anonymousreply 132November 29, 2022 7:22 PM

Portia is short and dumpy and has a big ass. She reminds me of a Charlie Brown character. Her eyebrows need their own postal code.

by Anonymousreply 133November 29, 2022 7:31 PM

I loved how Albie sorta asked permission to cum in Lucia's mouth when he was getting a BJ.

by Anonymousreply 134November 29, 2022 7:32 PM

Portia is no different from Tanya. At the breakfast scene, she tried to share some personal struggle with her boss and when Portia was finished with her monologue, Tanya was silent for a moment and then, without acknowledging what Portia just said, did her own monologue about her issue with Greg. As a result, Portia unloaded all her shit on nice, woke, and compassionate Albie and as soon the English hustler showed up she dumped Albie for a bad boy.

by Anonymousreply 135November 29, 2022 7:47 PM

It’s feeling like everything is a setup for killing Tanya, but she and her stomach will survive.

by Anonymousreply 136November 29, 2022 7:53 PM

The logical end is that the gays kill Tanya and Portia. That would be a fantastic twist. Most people expect Tanya to survive . However with her husband possibly involved and rentboy their employee,it would be a little twist ending to Tanya,her stomach,Portia and her horrid wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 137November 29, 2022 8:00 PM

r116 If it was purely a business relationship, then maybe. But they were roommates, etc, and Cameron probably figures the alpha douche bullshit is the best way to get Ethan to do what he wants.

Though actually, given the amount of stories from the City and Wall Street about deals being done in strip clubs, drug use, etc, maybe even pure business relationships end up that way too.

by Anonymousreply 138November 29, 2022 8:02 PM

Real question, does no one on here have a job? I legit go to work early in the morning, today was busy so I didn’t check DL until a little while ago, and another thread already with over 138 replies, most coming from one account?

It’s a Tuesday for Gods sake.

by Anonymousreply 139November 29, 2022 8:52 PM

On the other thread someone said that both seasons are about wealthy privilege, and talk about staying the obvious. The show is literally about rich (mostly) white people who are spending a week at a rich peoples (expensive) resort.

However, both seasons are very different and the rich being privileged isn’t the subtext. It’s just obvious and the foundation.

Season 1 was very much about racial privilege as much as rich privilege. Season 2 is very much about sexual politics and how someone attractive can push boundaries, cross boundaries and be awful and still get away with it as well as use their beauty and/or sexuality to their own benefit, and to get ahead.

by Anonymousreply 140November 29, 2022 8:58 PM

R139 I think there are only 3 people posting...

by Anonymousreply 141November 29, 2022 9:17 PM

The Tayna's Stomach Troll is one of them, r141. He's never funny, and just OCD repetitive. Does he not understand that Tanya is [italic]supposed[/italic] to be out of shape and pathetic looking? Or does he somehow think Jennifer Coolidge has somehow gone against Mike White's wishes, and was supposed to look like Daphne? What an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 142November 29, 2022 10:12 PM

Oh brother. I really doubt Mike White said bring your fattest stomach possible.

by Anonymousreply 143November 29, 2022 10:25 PM

There's always a theme of the local culture in the show, so I'm guessing Mexico is next. White will use Maya or Aztec myths.

I love DiMarco. Just so adorable.

by Anonymousreply 144November 29, 2022 10:58 PM

R144, I love the idea of Mexico with an Aztec or Mayan theme. A high-end resort in Cuzco could work as well.

by Anonymousreply 145November 29, 2022 11:05 PM

In addition to Ethan reminding Cameron that he’s now rich, Ethan also made it a point to say that he was always smarter than Cameron. I took the subtext to be, “Don’t fuck with me, buddy, because I will beat you at your own game.” Can’t wait to see how that all plays out.

by Anonymousreply 146November 29, 2022 11:29 PM

I just think Ethan is finally letting out how he’s truly felt all these years. He’s growing into his own voice and becoming his own alpha

by Anonymousreply 147November 29, 2022 11:33 PM

Ethan is the most underdeveloped character of the season. Five episodes in and I still don't "get" his thing.

by Anonymousreply 148November 29, 2022 11:55 PM

What is there to get? It’s a character driven series. It’s like watching reality tv of people on a trip together.

by Anonymousreply 149November 29, 2022 11:57 PM

[quote] What is there to get?

His complete lack of a discernible personality for someone his age.

by Anonymousreply 150November 30, 2022 12:01 AM

Your personality has nothing to do with age.

by Anonymousreply 151November 30, 2022 12:02 AM

R151, ummm, yes, it does. People evolve as they age.

by Anonymousreply 152November 30, 2022 12:03 AM

So far we know the following about Ethan:

*he's very smart, and got very high grades in college;

*he's an introverted workaholic;

*he did well enough in business to cash out on his company for millions of dollars ;

*he's athletic and runs all the time, usually every morning ;

*he's an intellectual, and likes to discuss politics and to read literature (interests he shares with Harper);

*he's not very sexual with Harper;

*he watches and jerks off to porn quite a bit ;

*he didn't date much in college, usually because whenever he was interested in a girl and told Cameron about her, Cameron would then fuck her so as to alpha-dog Ethan (and because secretly Cameron admires Ethan and wants what he has);

*he keeps a tight lid on his emotions;

*he's been secretly competitive with Cameron and has both admired Cameron's social and sexual ease in the world, but he has resented that Cameron wants everything he has

by Anonymousreply 153November 30, 2022 12:07 AM

Jack & Quentin TOGETHER!

Maybe they are not related?

Tom Hollander told Variety that he knew about Quentin and Jack’s intimate moment upon embarking on the role, Woodall said he wasn’t even sent a script until a couple of weeks after he got the part.

“When I found out about the scene, I was speechless for a while,” Woodall said. “I’m such a huge fan of Tom’s, and when I heard that he was going to be playing my uncle, I thought, ‘That is unreal.’ And then when I found out that I was going to shag him as well — that was kind of surreal. Anything that Mike White does with this show is kind of perfect, so there were no reservations about it. It felt like an incredibly ‘wow’ moment.”

As far as shooting the scene, Woodall said it was a closed set, and they worked with an “incredible” intimacy coordinator, Miriam Lucia. After figuring out the logistics of the scene, they shot it from two different angles.

“It’s more technical than anything else when you’re actually doing it,” Hollander said. “You know, ‘Is this the right angle? Does this look right?’ But there was a mutually respectful energy between us, too. And on the set, the production was very tender around those moments. It certainly was around that one. We just wanted to do it right.”

Hollander added that the actors were “sprayed down with some stuff to make us look like we were sweating” — “oily stuff,” Woodall interjected.

“There is fantasy, and you’re going through your head going, ‘I hope I look good.’ But when they say action, in a way that goes, and you actually just find yourself thinking, ‘I want this to be a true representation of an intimate moment between two people.’ You just want to do it right,” Hollander said.

When asked whether they’ve warned friends or family about what’s to come, Woodall said he told his dad not to let his 6-year-old brother watch the episode, but other than that he hasn’t “told a single soul about it, because I want to see their faces — or at least get their reactions without any prompt.”

As far as nerves leading up to Sunday night, Hollander said, “I suppose I’m excited. There’s a tiny bit of anxiety — I’m not quite sure what it’s to do with — but mostly I’m excited.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 30, 2022 12:13 AM

[quote]He’s growing into his own voice and becoming his own alpha

One of those alphas who doesn't fuck their own wife and jacks off to porn instead?

by Anonymousreply 155November 30, 2022 12:20 AM

R152 SOME people evolve. Some people never change. And some people devolve with time.

Every human is different.

Also, when you evolve, it is the personality you already had growing. Can you change with time? Yes. But certain characteristics and traits we have stay with us forever.

by Anonymousreply 156November 30, 2022 12:38 AM

R155 not being sexually attracted to your wife has nothing to do with being an alpha…

by Anonymousreply 157November 30, 2022 12:38 AM

I posted on a previous thread that Ethan was mysterious (ha, inscrutable).... specifically getting a weird message from his solo early morning run... at one point he disappeared from the camera tracking him and I got a "he's doing something off norm", as though he was having sex, but that early in the morning that wasn't it.

In any case, I'm starting to think Ethan may be the who in the whodunnit. There's something bottled up in there...

by Anonymousreply 158November 30, 2022 12:47 AM

r127 the actress looks better there. The wavy hair that looks like an 80's perm doesn't help her either on the show.

by Anonymousreply 159November 30, 2022 1:03 AM

Didn't Albie say he had a thing for wounded birds, so now he looks at Lucia as somebody he can save.

by Anonymousreply 160November 30, 2022 1:04 AM

With two bona fide hits, the Season 3 budget will probably be massive.

by Anonymousreply 161November 30, 2022 1:58 AM

You can already see the increase in budget this season r161. Look at this past week episode. Filmed on a yacht, on location in downtown Palermo, and in the Opera House. Mike White had way more money to play with for Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 162November 30, 2022 2:12 AM

R162 And less pandemic to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 163November 30, 2022 2:30 AM

R156, fair points.

I guess I'm just not a fan of Ethan's character. He's pretty to look at though.

by Anonymousreply 164November 30, 2022 2:36 AM

My shows ended for the season so this is a good time for this show since there aren't many other "must see" things going on right now. Plus with it snowing here it's nice to look at those beautiful views.

by Anonymousreply 165November 30, 2022 2:49 AM

R162 The opera house is insane. I feel I need to add it to my bucket list. I was possibly as wowed watching it as Tanya being there.

by Anonymousreply 166November 30, 2022 4:14 AM

R166 If you’re touring opera houses, be sure to stop in Naples too, it’s spectacular and one of the most memorable nights I’ve spent in Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167November 30, 2022 5:03 AM

R167 Noted, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 168November 30, 2022 5:12 AM

R162 Each episode exhibits some of the nicest drone photography I've seen in any dramatic content.

by Anonymousreply 169November 30, 2022 5:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170November 30, 2022 7:22 AM

Italy is just full of baroque beauty, and you don't need to stay in an opulent villa or expensive resort to see it. The opera houses can visited at no cost, and performances are quite affordable. Not everyone is in formal dress! Rome has 800 baroque churches, easily accessible and free.

by Anonymousreply 171November 30, 2022 7:47 AM

The Naples Opera House linked above is the only one I've visited in Europe and it truly was a lavish old-world spectacle, very much felt like I'd wandered into a Visconti movie all of a sudden

by Anonymousreply 172November 30, 2022 12:01 PM

Basically across the street from the Naples’ Opera House is this fantastical building to check out as well. the movie that was out on streaming last year called Hand of God used it to great effect. I don’t remember if the interior of the opera house is shown in the movie, but the whole film is basically a love letter to Naples.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 30, 2022 2:21 PM

Quentin wants Tanya's money to help his crumbling villa. He pretty much spelled it out for her.

by Anonymousreply 174November 30, 2022 2:24 PM

And in her honor they’ll rename it Villa Tanya! And call her “The Queen if Sicily” whenever she visits.

by Anonymousreply 175November 30, 2022 2:30 PM

Some people think this show is woke gay degenerate propaganda

by Anonymousreply 176November 30, 2022 2:34 PM

Does anyone care about the opinion of sad little people that describe everything as "woke" r176.

by Anonymousreply 177November 30, 2022 2:36 PM

Harper is liberal, a lawyer and wears the pants in the marriage - yet still took her husband's last name. I guess it's supposed to be irony. There's also a theory that she secretly wants to be a housewife.

by Anonymousreply 178November 30, 2022 2:37 PM

R177 ironically the person informing us always uses the word woke in regards to black people.

by Anonymousreply 179November 30, 2022 3:16 PM

I don’t think she wants to be a housewife, but most women are attracted to a man who … is the man. Most women want a man who “wears the pants”, even when they claim otherwise. I think she’s turned off by how much of a pushover Ethan is now. Maybe it didn’t bother her much back home but she’s realizing things during this trip she just doesn’t like.

Most women, liberal or not, take the last name of the man.

by Anonymousreply 180November 30, 2022 3:19 PM

Funny, but Tom Hollander was certainly out and gay when he was doing The Judas Kiss on Broadway in 1998 and while doing Travesties at Roundabout in 2018. Funny how that works.

by Anonymousreply 181November 30, 2022 4:23 PM

Aubrey Plaza should be playing Madonna in her biopic, not Julia Garner.

by Anonymousreply 182November 30, 2022 5:46 PM

I've never heard Tom Hollander linked to anyone, male or female.

by Anonymousreply 183November 30, 2022 5:47 PM

R183 He was engaged to a woman named Fran Hickman, not too long ago.

by Anonymousreply 184November 30, 2022 5:51 PM

I thought he was gay too but maybe he is GASP bisexual

by Anonymousreply 185November 30, 2022 5:54 PM

Season 2 episodes:

1: Decent start

2: Kind of dull, but okay finish

3: Still not amazing, but has some story momentum

4: A lot of fun

5: Really strong final 20 minutes. Thematically, the best episode yet

by Anonymousreply 186November 30, 2022 6:09 PM

[quote]‘The White Lotus’ Season 2 Hits Series-High Viewership, Growing 28% Over Previous Week

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187November 30, 2022 6:23 PM

It does surprise me this show is such a big hit for HBO. On the surface its up my alley but doesn't seem the type of thing to be a mass appeal show, but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 188November 30, 2022 6:41 PM

r188, it gets people talking about theories (who's dead by the end of the season?) and how certain characters are perceived.

by Anonymousreply 189November 30, 2022 6:46 PM

I'm sure the naughty stuff (marital cheating, threesomes, all the forbidden fucking...) holds some appeal as well.

by Anonymousreply 190November 30, 2022 6:47 PM

When a show appears to be popular and praised then it brings in more viewers. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 191November 30, 2022 6:49 PM

I wonder how many viewers saw a man fucking a man for the first time this week.

by Anonymousreply 192November 30, 2022 6:57 PM

I think Laura Palmer will be the one that ends up dead.

by Anonymousreply 193November 30, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote]Some people think this show is woke gay degenerate propaganda

And some people are toothless, trailer-dwelling hillbillies.

I imagine those groups overlap significantly.

by Anonymousreply 194November 30, 2022 8:27 PM

I think the increased viewership is definitely a response to the increased sexiness of the show. The first episodes had very little sex, except for Dominic sleeping with the escorts and Tanya having bad sex with Greg; now we also have Lucia sleeping with Albie, Jack having sex with both Portia and Quentin (in one episode), Mia promising to have sex with Valentina, and harper and Cameron opening flirting.

It's not just that sex sells (and there were multiple bare butts last week), but that sexual intrigue is very compelling, and almost every character on the show at this point is engaged in it

by Anonymousreply 195November 30, 2022 8:35 PM

[quote] I think the Valentina actress is great too.

I literally have to pause the scenes where Valentina is unable to conceal her amorous feelings for Eva, multiple times just to get through them, because I feel so embarrassed and trepidatious for her character.

by Anonymousreply 196November 30, 2022 10:13 PM

R110 Chuck & Buck suck & fuck. I remember renting the movie on tape after seeing the actor Chris Weitz interviewed. He was annoyed that Mike White had not explained the extent to which the movie had homosexual overtones, and wanted to make sure that no one thought he was at all homosexual. As if he didn't read the script.

It looks like he's gone on to producer some interesting movies.

by Anonymousreply 197November 30, 2022 10:28 PM

Chuck and Buck (Suck and Fuck) was a creepy AF movie.

But it did help me realize that I had an unhealthy attachment to a distant romance and let it go after watching that movie.

by Anonymousreply 198November 30, 2022 10:44 PM

R195 that makes no sense….

by Anonymousreply 199November 30, 2022 10:46 PM

R191 not how it works. Many shows have been pumped out and praised and failed. This one is appealing.

by Anonymousreply 200November 30, 2022 10:47 PM

Does anybody watching care about any of these characters? Not that they need to be good people…. None of them are interesting or compelling. Harper is uptight, so what, who cares? Tanya is miserable and oblivious, so what, who cares? Cameron is a sleaze, so what, who cares? Etc.

by Anonymousreply 201November 30, 2022 10:49 PM

Chuck and Buck was like a DL fantasy come alive. Getting that straight guy to have sex with you.

by Anonymousreply 202November 30, 2022 10:50 PM

^^^Fraulein Schneider

by Anonymousreply 203November 30, 2022 10:51 PM

She sounds kind of tiresome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204November 30, 2022 10:51 PM

Here’s a ridiculous possible plot twist: Dom’s wife shows up and, while trying to kill him, kills Albie instead.

I have no reason whatsoever for imagining this, except that (a) no one else has and (2) the last time Dom tried calling her, there was [insert dramatic music] no answer. Maybe she was on a flight to Italy!!

I realize the next-to-last episode is a bit late to be introducing a new character, but this is Mike White we’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 205November 30, 2022 10:52 PM

An aspect I love in both seasons is discovering so many fabulous new actors, new to me that is. And also discovering that familiar actors like Murray Bartlett, Connie Britton, Steve Zahn and Michael Imperioli can be so surprising.

If they give Emmys for casting, this series deserves two.

by Anonymousreply 206November 30, 2022 10:57 PM

[quote]Some people think this show is woke gay degenerate propaganda

Some people are deplorable closet cases who have no fucking business on a gay gossip board.

by Anonymousreply 207November 30, 2022 10:57 PM

[quote]I thought he was gay too but maybe he is GASP bisexual

His character would stick his dick in molten lava if it got him off.

by Anonymousreply 208November 30, 2022 11:00 PM

That remark about not knowing where Tanya ends and Jennifer begins. I completely agree. Jennifer Coolidge always plays herself. She plays the same character in lotus as she did in Two Broke Girls. She is so one note.

by Anonymousreply 209November 30, 2022 11:00 PM

r204 Good god she sounds like an idiot. "But it turns out that there is no grocery store in Taormina" - 5 seconds on Google shows that's bullshit. What I'm guessing she means is there was nothing like Walmart. "I was really craving things that weren’t Italian food, and specifically Sicilian food" - imagine having that food available to you and deciding 'nah I'll just have some eggs'

by Anonymousreply 210November 30, 2022 11:18 PM

R201 is Joy Behar.

by Anonymousreply 211November 30, 2022 11:28 PM

R209 The first time I saw and became aware of Jennifer Coolidge was in the movie Best in Show. I knew the movie was a Christopher Guest mockumentary, and that it was populated by actors. Yet for some reason I thought Coolidge was like an amateur who was effectively playing herself. But I also had the same misimpression of the actor who played the judge along with Fred Willard.

Makes no sense, but I was still kind of surprised to see her again in a new role.

by Anonymousreply 212November 30, 2022 11:37 PM

R204 Five months? Are you fucking kidding, five months of shooting?

by Anonymousreply 213November 30, 2022 11:45 PM

“Gay degenerate propaganda” lol

Propaganda is an Italian invention, and a street in Roma, one of my favorite restaurants was right off Via di Propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 214November 30, 2022 11:47 PM

[quote] [R204] Five months? Are you fucking kidding, five months of shooting?

The indulgence is hilarious. They could have shot that in less than 2 months. Don't they have more than one crew? Many of those scenes are completely different people & locations.

by Anonymousreply 215December 1, 2022 12:11 AM

R204 she's preposterous. Let's see. Just had to bring her cat and that meant staying at an apartment instead of the luxurious hotel. Couldn't find a grocery store or outdoor market in a country world renowned for it's cusine so she ate eggs and lamented the quality of their avocados. Then, she doesn't understand Jennifer Coolidge's Andy Kaufman-esque routine but hey it's not like she hung out with her any since she had her cat and all at her apartment. Jesus. I'm tired now! I'm done!

I'm still enjoying this. That's all I'm doing. An uncle and presumed nephew getting it on? Why the heck not! A Queen of Sicily? Why couldn't there be? I don't give a crap. I'm not overthinking any of this at all. I'm just enjoying this wonderfully creative ride Mike White has us on, man. This show is filmed beautifully. There's different aspects to couples involved; whores, sexless marriage, possible swingers, a Lesbian hotel manager who likes cats, and so on and so forth and Scooby Dooby Do yeah! I don't give a shit! I love it. A gay male coven loving Tanya? Of course there would be.

Just enjoy it everybody.

by Anonymousreply 216December 1, 2022 12:32 AM

Ah, it's interesting to me that she received all 7 episode scripts before they started filming. So the entire time of filming the main cast knows where this is going and can use that to inform their acting choices. That's good to know.

by Anonymousreply 217December 1, 2022 12:44 AM

[quote]Not beautiful? This can only be written by a gay man or a straight woman. The girl is breathtakingly beautiful.

Are you serious "breathtakingly beautiful”??? Lucia isn’t anything special, she's sure not beautiful. Lucia has a very common look. Lucia looks like many other Italian women and those fucking thick eyebrows, jeez, tweeze those things!

The other hooker looks like a teenager.

I agree with the poster who said they both act like high school girls. I also don’t believe they have a pimp.

by Anonymousreply 218December 1, 2022 1:01 AM

I feel sorry for Haley Lu's cat. Probably has to spend all day by himself in a small apt.

by Anonymousreply 219December 1, 2022 1:03 AM

Oh lord, I hope Mike White isn’t a fan and taking this under consideration. Though it’s an interest concept to pull wealthy characters from other shows in the past and have them show up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220December 1, 2022 1:05 AM

[quote]Jennifer Coolidge always plays herself. She plays the same character in lotus as she did in Two Broke Girls. She is so one note.

I think Jennifer Coolidge's Two Broke Girls character was more fun and actually smarter than Tanya.

The TBG character came to the US (think she was Polish?), set up a cleaning business, hired others to do the cleaning and was making her version of the American dream. Tanya seems as dumb as a box of frozen peas, she's obviously living off an inheritance. If it wasn't for that inheritance, she'd be working at a Walmart or worse.

Obviously, directors and writers like her, otherwise she wouldn't get hired.

by Anonymousreply 221December 1, 2022 1:11 AM

R219 I feel sorry for that cat when it doesn’t get to spend the day alone. Imagine having to deal with dumpy Haley Lu.

by Anonymousreply 222December 1, 2022 1:21 AM

A bunch of actors who desperately need work would like to get cast on a hit HBO show, stop the presses r220.

Everyone in the industry would like for Mike White to check them into the White Lotus.

by Anonymousreply 223December 1, 2022 1:21 AM

She's like Robin Williams or Christopher Walken or William Shatner. You know what you're going to get. Some people find them hilarious, some can't stand them. I love Coolidge. She makes me laugh. She's funny and strange. I don't care that she is always herself.

by Anonymousreply 224December 1, 2022 1:23 AM

she is always herself

I made a career of it, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 225December 1, 2022 1:56 AM

The person I most see Coolidge emulating is Madeline Kahn, who never escaped playing Madeline Kahn in every role she was in, which is why I always found her so irritating. I find Coolidge irritating too, but only considerably less and thankfully she doesn’t sing.

by Anonymousreply 226December 1, 2022 2:08 AM

Rewatching one of the cast interview videos, Jennifer does look somewhat "slimmer". It's possible she was outfitted with a fat suit for many scenes.

by Anonymousreply 227December 1, 2022 2:23 AM

I want to see an A-List Gay couple next season, preferably played by Madden and Froy.

by Anonymousreply 228December 1, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote]She's like Robin Williams or Christopher Walken or William Shatner. You know what you're going to get. Some people find them hilarious, some can't stand them.

Robin Williams proved he was also good at drama, why include him in that group? Walken is very mannered, he always plays eccentric scary types, he was hilarious in his SNL appearances as The Continental.

Shatner, I don't know what to make of him. I only know him from Star Trek and his bad record albums,I never watched him on that lawyer series. He actually won an Emmy?! I can say, he does look great for 91.

by Anonymousreply 229December 1, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote] I want to see an A-List Gay couple next season, preferably played by Madden and Froy.

I would too, but considering they practically live in hiding (no matter what their little fans say), such will only exist in our dreams...

by Anonymousreply 230December 1, 2022 2:36 AM

R226 I've thought she's more like late period Shelley Winters. Can't you see her as Lolita's mother?

by Anonymousreply 231December 1, 2022 2:48 AM

The actress who played Trudy on Mad Men would be good for S3. Maybe with one of the Duplass brothers (are they too famous now?). Catherine Keener? Too bad Mr. Big got canceled. Matthew Rhys?

by Anonymousreply 232December 1, 2022 2:49 AM

Since a lot of this season is about transactional sex I can see the cute desk clerk letting Valentina eat her out in order to get Rocco back in the hotel lobby near her.

by Anonymousreply 233December 1, 2022 2:58 AM

Look for Valentina's "arc" to get a little broader in the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 234December 1, 2022 3:11 AM

“…from least annoying to Portia” lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235December 1, 2022 3:43 AM

This season should end with an orgy featuring the entire cast. Just get that out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 236December 1, 2022 3:54 AM

The Albie actor has serious cakes- bet he was well plowed on the “casting couch”.

Theo James tried to imply that the dick was seriously his and not a prosthetic. How stupid does he think the audience is?

by Anonymousreply 237December 1, 2022 4:02 AM

R236 This isn’t Sense8! But if Cam, Albie and Jack hookup I wouldn’t not watch.

by Anonymousreply 238December 1, 2022 4:07 AM

R206 I think that Season 2's casting is even better. However the Haley Lu casting deserves a Razzy. She had such an annoying presence and becomes more annoying with each episode. Her crazy cat clothes and her jailbait looks are so blah.

by Anonymousreply 239December 1, 2022 4:30 AM

R233 It would fun if Rocco pumped the girl. I really want Valentina to be high and dry. She is so obsessed she didn't entertain fooling around with Eva.

by Anonymousreply 240December 1, 2022 4:33 AM

r237 Yeah I didn't realize he was in his 30s until that scene. He has a youthful face but it doesn't look like a college boy's butt at all.

by Anonymousreply 241December 1, 2022 4:34 AM

r235 Harper is by far the worst but millennial women will never admit that because she reminds them of themselves. She's probably the most realistically hateable character I've ever seen on screen.

by Anonymousreply 242December 1, 2022 4:37 AM

R234 We know from the flash forward that her shirt's top button is down and her hair is messy. One can assume that Mia fulfills her end of the bargain....

by Anonymousreply 243December 1, 2022 5:10 AM

I can see Aubrey Plaza in a remake of Misery. Such a stern, unattractive face, lumpy skin. Nice figure though.

by Anonymousreply 244December 1, 2022 5:15 AM

Here's Jennifer in the wild...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 1, 2022 5:19 AM

r235 Valentina needs to move up a few annoying spots after the last episode

by Anonymousreply 246December 1, 2022 5:26 AM

For someone depicted as having been raised in great wealth, Tanya is pretty vulgar and trashy. You'd have thought she'd be more sophisticated, better-spoken, have better taste.

by Anonymousreply 247December 1, 2022 5:26 AM

The casting of Bert and Dom was impeccable. F Murray conveys such cynicism and corruption just with a look. Michael Imperioli is hilarious as Dom, the way he looks outraged at various situations.

by Anonymousreply 248December 1, 2022 5:43 AM

R744 Aubrey is so fucking one note wonder like Coolidge is. She hasn't been around as long as Jennifer so she hasn't annoyed as much...yet.

by Anonymousreply 249December 1, 2022 5:58 AM

Somebody needs to throw Bert a bone, as long as he can hold his farts in during sex.

by Anonymousreply 250December 1, 2022 6:00 AM

R246 Judging from what we know about the next episode, Valentina seems very disheveled. I don't want my manager coming to a murder scene looking like she just got railed........

by Anonymousreply 251December 1, 2022 6:04 AM

Dom's diatribe against Bert for not modelling responsible loving behaviour was pathetic. The fact that he witnessed his mother's pain at her husband's chronic infidelity should have been enough, as it was for Albie.

by Anonymousreply 252December 1, 2022 6:07 AM

In that hat, Portia looks like Paddington Bear.

by Anonymousreply 253December 1, 2022 6:09 AM

Why is this thread almost all one person?

by Anonymousreply 254December 1, 2022 6:58 AM

So many of you are bitching about Plaza and Sharpe, but they're actually terrific (particularly Plaza). They're playing people who are not comfortable being emotional in front of other people, who are very passive-aggressive, and who use sarcasm as a screen--which is why they're both perfectly suited to one another's temperaments and at the same time disastrous for each other in the long term.

They're as horrible in their own way as Cameron and Daphne although they're smarter (but have less fun). The members of both couples are extremely manipulative with their partner and towards other people--yet feigning superiority to the other couple to mask their deep-felt insecurities.

by Anonymousreply 255December 1, 2022 7:00 AM

R255 “so many of you”???? It’s you. This entire thread is almost all you. It’s actually embarrassing how much of this thread is JUST YOU

by Anonymousreply 256December 1, 2022 7:02 AM

[quote] For someone depicted as having been raised in great wealth, Tanya is pretty vulgar and trashy. You'd have thought she'd be more sophisticated, better-spoken, have better taste.

Why?

She doesn't sound from the story Portia provided like she's from an old family--it sounds like her father was a self-made man. And both of her parents were terrible people to her.

They probably more or less let her raise herself, and as a result left her the needy, insecure, undereducated mess she is today.

by Anonymousreply 257December 1, 2022 7:04 AM

There are trashy rich people. Idk where this idea that all wealthy people are sophisticated comes from.

by Anonymousreply 258December 1, 2022 7:07 AM

[quote]For someone depicted as having been raised in great wealth, Tanya is pretty vulgar and trashy. You'd have thought she'd be more sophisticated, better-spoken, have better taste.

Yes, all daughters raised in great wealth are sophisticated and have fabulous taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259December 1, 2022 7:08 AM

Who puts a sequined cap on a pumpkin?

by Anonymousreply 260December 1, 2022 7:09 AM

Tanya seems rich enough that she could afford getting lessons in becoming more classy and sophisticated. And for the trashy person she is, it's interesting that she knew about Italy enough to be aware of Monica Vitti (and try to copy her in the scooter scene and Valentina calling her Peppa Pig). I mean, without the money, I doubt Tanya would be the kind of person who has a passport (to travel) at all.

by Anonymousreply 261December 1, 2022 7:10 AM

Tanya acts as if she just fell off a turnip truck. Even if she had had an inferior education, someone with half a billion dollars would have been to Italy and seen the baroque splendours without their tongue hanging out. It's one of the most touristic places on earth, and easily accessible from the US.

by Anonymousreply 262December 1, 2022 7:16 AM

She’s rich. Whether she is classy or trashy doesn’t matter. She’s rich. She can get away with whatever. It doesn’t matter.

PS there are more trashy wealthy people than classy. Those sophisticated classy rich people aren’t the majority of rich people.

by Anonymousreply 263December 1, 2022 7:17 AM

R262 education has nothing to do with it. I don’t think you’ve stepped foot in a college. Honestly, based on your posting history, I’m certain you haven’t. You’ve been having full conversations with yourself on the internet about a tv show for days now. It’s 3:18 am here in NY and I came on here and… here you are. Still posting. And replying to yourself.

However, there are many people in college who come off stupid. College in real life isn’t like college on tv.

by Anonymousreply 264December 1, 2022 7:19 AM

Be careful of the obsessive over poster, R264. He seems to have a Dark side, like he's two astrological twins, who is so full of himself he likes to Lord over everyone.

by Anonymousreply 265December 1, 2022 7:26 AM

I'm in Europe; it's 9.30 am. I haven't been to 'college'. I have been to university, where I was given a Ph.D Perhaps I should give it back?

R262

by Anonymousreply 266December 1, 2022 7:34 AM

Tiffany at r259 looks like Lois on Family Guy.

Some people have been insulated because of their wealth and that may be the case with Tanya why she sometimes acts so clueless.

by Anonymousreply 267December 1, 2022 8:07 AM

Adam relayed a funny anecdote, where he was engaging in a "hookup" with another party (neutral pronouns), who wanted him to role play another character (magician?) that he is known for. He complied.

Albie will be a fine addition to his hookup repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 268December 1, 2022 9:17 AM

[quote] I have no real thoughts about this character except that she’s not fleshed out enough for me to care about her, even if Mark White did his best to sprinkle her with some ‘agency’. Also, kidnapping Harper in Noto, even if it was quite a luxe kidnapping? Beyond the pale.

MARK White?

Oh, DEAR, R235

by Anonymousreply 269December 1, 2022 12:11 PM

Newsflash, not everyone who is rich is the same.

What a weird way to think.

by Anonymousreply 270December 1, 2022 12:13 PM

R266 yet you were posting since yesterday afternoon. So you just never sleep and stay on here posting 24/7?

I would think someone who claims to be intelligent wouldn’t live on DL all day and night. Get a job.

by Anonymousreply 271December 1, 2022 12:14 PM

Totally agree, R247! She's a vulgar PIG!

by Anonymousreply 272December 1, 2022 12:14 PM

r271 Not who you were responding to, but you look quite stupid accusing others of spending too much time on DL when you spend enough time on DL to argue with someone you claim to be a troll. Also, you've posted in this thread more times than r266

by Anonymousreply 273December 1, 2022 1:41 PM

Objective person here. I was curious so I checked both posters.

I can confirm that R271 has posted in this thread 18 times. And R266 has posted in this thread 13 times.

It's hard to take R271's accusations seriously after that..

by Anonymousreply 274December 1, 2022 1:46 PM

R235 Not even including F. Murray Abraham... this online z-gen is not only ageist, but apparently doesn't care to us simple spell check.

R271 (and all your other #s) It seems your obsessiveness about others' obsessiveness is a little obsessive. I won't post this again because that would be a little... obsessive.

Tanya - yeah, rich people are very, very varied... old aristocrats to My Pillow dot Com rubes. But, pet the story, she was born in SF... so matter what the source of her wealth (Shipping Containers or organized crime or fast food) she seems a little too starry-eyed.

by Anonymousreply 275December 1, 2022 1:51 PM

I don’t know what all you guys are seeing, but I find F. Murray and Michael’s performances lackluster and barely phoning it in and neither are attractive. They are definitely the dead weight of this series, yet unlikely to end up dead.

by Anonymousreply 276December 1, 2022 1:56 PM

R274 switching accounts to post doesn’t change that I know it’s you. You love to go around here saying I’m an Officer. You must be even more uneducated than I thought because everyone knows Law Enforcers have tools we can use to see a lot of things, like where someone is posting from.

You keep posting from different accounts, not realizing the monitoring going on.

by Anonymousreply 277December 1, 2022 2:10 PM

R277 There's something wrong with you. Genuinely. Cuckoo.

by Anonymousreply 278December 1, 2022 2:16 PM

R277 Kindly do all of us a favor and DIE ALREADY!

by Anonymousreply 279December 1, 2022 2:21 PM

[quote] it's interesting that she knew about Italy enough to be aware of Monica Vitti

I found that to be a false note. That character would not know who Monica Vitti is. The writer would.

by Anonymousreply 280December 1, 2022 2:22 PM

Ummm she very well may have known who Monica Vitti is. You don’t know what films she’s watched throughout her life. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 281December 1, 2022 2:27 PM

Mike White is apparently too smart for his own good, and his characters.

by Anonymousreply 282December 1, 2022 2:27 PM

Tanya's idea of an Italian movie star would be Sophia Loren. She'd have no idea who Vitti was.

by Anonymousreply 283December 1, 2022 2:28 PM

We don’t know that.

by Anonymousreply 284December 1, 2022 2:29 PM

[quote]she very well may have known who Monica Vitti is.

She is a person who knows NOTHING. She *might* have known who Sophia Loren is, but no, she would not know who Monica Vitti was.

That was the writer showing off.

by Anonymousreply 285December 1, 2022 2:30 PM

R285, please refer back to R282.

by Anonymousreply 286December 1, 2022 2:32 PM

Only Tanya doesn’t know nothing. And we haven’t seen anything that suggests she doesn’t. She’s an alcoholic and pill popper. That doesn’t mean she knows nothing.

by Anonymousreply 287December 1, 2022 2:33 PM

She should have be dressed/inspired by GaGa in the Gucci movie from last year instead, that would have been believable.

by Anonymousreply 288December 1, 2022 2:35 PM

When has Tanya ever said anything that would indicate that she knows anything about the arts?

She's the type of person who never picks up a book unless it's a "self-help" book about herself.

by Anonymousreply 289December 1, 2022 2:36 PM

Coolidge's gunt could not have carried off those clothes, r288.

by Anonymousreply 290December 1, 2022 2:37 PM

R289 you are watching a scripted show. No one has said anything that suggests they know a lot about the arts.

You seem to think you’re watching live feeds of real people.

by Anonymousreply 291December 1, 2022 2:38 PM

[quote]you are watching a scripted show.

Thank you. That was so helpful. And insightful.

by Anonymousreply 292December 1, 2022 2:44 PM

Was there any explanation beyond the Italian Americans about why the rest of the characters chose THIS destination? Does Tanya perhaps love old Italian movies and that’s why she’s there? Is this really the hotspot for wealthy 30 year old couples? Sicily, in particular, seems like an odd place to start for a first time visit to Italy, it seems more a destination for very seasoned travelers who have done a lot of other locales? Capri sounds more likely.

by Anonymousreply 293December 1, 2022 2:46 PM

R293 you’re asking why people chose to travel to Sicily? One of the top tourist destinations in the world?

by Anonymousreply 294December 1, 2022 2:49 PM

I stayed at the Splendido hotel in Portofino. It is a similar place in both price and setting.

And there were guests there that would fit right in with this show.

I remember the children of wealthy families in their 20s from England chatting around the pool. Oblivious to how they sounded.

by Anonymousreply 295December 1, 2022 2:58 PM

I find it amusing how people on social media and the press are talking about how "shocking" the ending of the last ep was.

I thought it was pretty predictable.

As soon as he said, "I need to go do something for my uncle" I knew exactly what that something was.

by Anonymousreply 296December 1, 2022 2:59 PM

Mike White's idea of good relationships is very perverse.

I watched an interview with Cameron and Daphne (Meghan Fahey and Theo James) and they both were raving about how these two characters love each other. James was saying that despite all Cameron does he is a good husband. LOL!

I just was taken aback and thought that this must be the script handed them by Mike White for their characters. The "note" so to speak. Because this is not a couple that loves each other. This is a couple that lies to each other at the very basic level of a relationship. Hence the OTT sales pitch with the public displays of affection. hence the lack of real intimacy (not talking fucking, talking trust & honesty).

Unless Meghan was just playing with Harper's head then no women would deliberately get pregnant by another man and trick her husband into thinking and raising them as his own. Only psychotic women do that. A loving wife would have aborted any pregnancy from an affair.

Nothing about Cameron says good husband. Now with the more we know about Daphne, the more we see that she isn't a good wife either. Cameron is more of a clueless sleazy slut who's too stupid to realize his wife knows exactly what he is, while Meghan is the one I could see exploding into rage when she can't play the game anymore.

So I see this couple as Mike White's subversive view of straight relationships and, as common with both straight and gay men, pretending there is "love" as a rationalization for unloving conduct. Though I get his need to create drama and overkill to sell an interesting story.

Also in another interview it wa mentioned that some in the cast saw Meghan as the most heinous of all the characters so that makes me wonder what more we see her do or learn she has done. Telling you right now, she has all his assets in her name. proving how stupid Cam really is.

by Anonymousreply 297December 1, 2022 3:00 PM

People with the right level of disposable income, a taste for travel and a desire for high end, hassle free accommodation enjoy ticking off different international offerings from the same chain. They know what to expect in terms of service and standards, like luxury cruise fans. It all seems so well observed - the snippets of back stories, the drink fuelled revelations overheard from other tables, the growing awareness during the course of a week’s stay of some of the staff relationships. Pour us some large glasses of wine as we sit among them.

by Anonymousreply 298December 1, 2022 3:04 PM

Morrocco seems to be the latest trendy destination place. It is being used and highly advertised for destination weddings - a "thing" I find totally pretentious and essentially selfish.

Actually this may not be so new, just that I have become aware of it. How is Morocco on the treatment of women and the poor?

by Anonymousreply 299December 1, 2022 3:10 PM

R299 clearly has never traveled.

by Anonymousreply 300December 1, 2022 3:15 PM

r299, actually, a wedding at a resort would be a great set up in itself. All the characters are somehow connected, lots of potential conflict and tension brewing (maybe involving two families which are feuding?). White could take inspiration from Altman's A Wedding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301December 1, 2022 3:20 PM

R276 let's get real, none of these actors are turning in stellar performances. S1 cast was much better.

by Anonymousreply 302December 1, 2022 3:21 PM

R301, yes that would great. What a great contrast that white dress would make with red blood.

by Anonymousreply 303December 1, 2022 3:22 PM

Cameron and Daphne are not new travelers r293. Cameron has always been rich, probably has been going to Europe since he was a kid. And in the first or second episode Daphne was talking about some of their favorite hotels they've stayed at, including one in Venice that she loved. They did not pick Sicily as their first European or Italian vacation, probably more thinking of new places they could go.

by Anonymousreply 304December 1, 2022 3:27 PM

Mike White does not script the actor interviews.

by Anonymousreply 305December 1, 2022 3:31 PM

r304, but do Cameron and Daphne travel for "the right reasons"? Daphne seems very materialistic, trying to get the most of her marriage by spending his money. Cameron doesn't seem to be interested in exploring different cultures and histories. He seems to be more of a shark, either having douche bro fun or doing business.

by Anonymousreply 306December 1, 2022 3:31 PM

R296. My reaction exactly! I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the shocking reveal. Who the fuck even thought the Chav from Essex was really his nephew? Now I'm concerned that Mike White will be playing it safe for the last episode making the series payoff too little too late.

by Anonymousreply 307December 1, 2022 3:41 PM

R297 Why is there an expectation that if a married couple is not completely monogamist it’s not a good marriage or he’s not a good husband? That makes absolutely no sense.

by Anonymousreply 308December 1, 2022 3:42 PM

A false note in the last episode was when Jack used the term “reckon” which Portia parroted back and Jack said “You making fun of my accent?” She said she was. She wasn’t actually making fun of his accent, she was making fun of him saying “reckon.”

by Anonymousreply 309December 1, 2022 3:42 PM

[quote]mentioned that some in the cast saw Meghan as the most heinous of all the characters

Based on what we have seen Daphne is the most ruthless of all them all. Her cuckolding Cameron is cold as fuck. If she is capable of that what else is she capable of. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up killing Cameron honestly. Maybe her shock at finding the body was just s performance.

by Anonymousreply 310December 1, 2022 3:48 PM

R309 Neither of them are above being wrong about something.

by Anonymousreply 311December 1, 2022 3:49 PM

[quote] A loving wife would have aborted any pregnancy from an affair.

I'm going to have that needlepointed on pillows.

by Anonymousreply 312December 1, 2022 3:50 PM

I could see Daphne killing Hunter and Ethan to protect her secrets and not give Cameron any ammo to use against her, and Daphne justifying it with Cameron having connections to dangerous people who could hurt her and her children.

by Anonymousreply 313December 1, 2022 4:00 PM

I didn't even catch that the tow-headed kid was *obviously* the product of Daphne's affair.

I'm realizing that while I'm waiting for something to happen there is a lot happening without a dramatic emotional display.

by Anonymousreply 314December 1, 2022 4:03 PM

r314, it did click for me afterwards, because describing her secret lover as blond haired and blue eyed were odd specifiers for a lover. I mean, she'd say something sexual like he has the greatest dick, hottest ass, or is especially great at sex (making her orgasm) to take a dig at Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 315December 1, 2022 4:16 PM

Also the faux "Oops!" tipped you off that she had just intentionally revealed something.

by Anonymousreply 316December 1, 2022 4:25 PM

[quote] Why is there an expectation that if a married couple is not completely monogamist it’s not a good marriage or he’s not a good husband? That makes absolutely no sense.

Because trust is the basis for a good marriage or any good relationship. Without it you have performance or a facade. How could you trust someone who has lived with you in deceit and selfishness to make the right decisions for you in a life or death situation or even for your children. These people lie to each other every day.

I think you're confusing an "open marriage" with cheating behind each other's backs.

by Anonymousreply 317December 1, 2022 4:39 PM

R218 You are either a gay man or a straight woman.

by Anonymousreply 318December 1, 2022 5:16 PM

R276 Why would they need to be attractive? Are you touched in the head?

by Anonymousreply 319December 1, 2022 5:17 PM

Because, r319, everyone is attractive at high end hotels and spas. I know that for a fact as I've seen dozens of films and TV show, and they are all beautiful. Even the staff!

by Anonymousreply 320December 1, 2022 7:17 PM

Did anybody else catch that Greg and Tonya called them macaroons instead of macarons in the first episode?

by Anonymousreply 321December 1, 2022 7:32 PM

[quote] I'm realizing that while I'm waiting for something to happen there is a lot happening without a dramatic emotional display.

Good for you that you're seeing this. This is a much more subtle show than i think people give it credit for being.

Often DLers want all TV dramas to be like "Dynasty," with people slapping each other and having wrestling matches in lily-ponds when they're angry with one another. This is smarter than that.

by Anonymousreply 322December 1, 2022 7:38 PM

But I'd love to see Adam de Marco, Will Sharpe , Theo James and the chav nephew all go at it in a lily pond.

by Anonymousreply 323December 1, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote] I just was taken aback and thought that this must be the script handed them by Mike White for their characters. The "note" so to speak.

I watched the same interview and I didn't think this was what Mike White thought at all. This is what theo James thought, and he is an absolutely beautiful man, but also a bear of very little brain. This show is much smarter than that about this couple than Theo James thinks (though that may be how he's playing the character).

by Anonymousreply 324December 1, 2022 7:58 PM

Cameron and Daphne are right for each other in their own way. They get each other, they both enjoy playing their little games with each other, and ultimately they both get to be the person they want to be and live their the way they want.

by Anonymousreply 325December 1, 2022 8:03 PM

[quote]A false note in the last episode was when Jack used the term “reckon” which Portia parroted back and Jack said “You making fun of my accent?” She said she was. She wasn’t actually making fun of his accent, she was making fun of him saying “reckon.”

She actually got thrown off by his Essex accent and he said "rectum" in a bit of foreshadowing.

by Anonymousreply 326December 1, 2022 8:21 PM

Imperioli's go-to acting technique seems to be to stare down into the near distance, at nothing in particular, while delivering his lines. This is not something I see average people doing in the course of conversation. It's not even when his character is meant to convey guilt or evasiveness.

Just kind of weird.

by Anonymousreply 327December 1, 2022 11:46 PM

Tanya knowing about Monica Vitti is almost as ridiculous as Shane's Baby Jane reference from S1.

by Anonymousreply 328December 1, 2022 11:49 PM

Imperioli’s characters here and in the Sopranos are secretive and pseudo-guilt ridden because their vices hurt people they think they love, but are too self-involved to even start trying to change. That “staring into the middle distance” thing makes sense to me in this context. They don’t want to make eye contact and get caught, but they also want attention, but they are caught up in navel-gazing, etc.

by Anonymousreply 329December 2, 2022 12:30 AM

[R293] Tanya is there because she visits all the White Lotus hotels, she's one of their best customers

by Anonymousreply 330December 2, 2022 12:53 AM

r293, have we heard yet that this is the first trip any of these characters have ever made to Italy?

by Anonymousreply 331December 2, 2022 2:00 AM

R331 Jack says as much.

by Anonymousreply 332December 2, 2022 2:21 AM

If it's Jack's first time, he would have to go where he's taken. He's not going to Italy on his own dime,

by Anonymousreply 333December 2, 2022 2:32 AM

I think Michael and Murray have been doing fine with the limited screen time they’ve been given. I appreciated the almost childlike quality in Dominic’s voice when he finally confronted his father’s failings and the hurt in Bert’s eyes, even as he doubled down on his denial of wrongdoing. Any and all Tanya screen time should have gone to the older DiGrasso men.

by Anonymousreply 334December 2, 2022 2:37 AM

R334 They would never have been as much fun on the Vespa.

by Anonymousreply 335December 2, 2022 3:05 AM

For those unfamiliar with Aubrey's younger roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336December 2, 2022 3:10 AM

I had never watched Parks & Rec, had very little exposure to Plaza until I saw her host the SAG Awards one year (I think it was the SAGs), by herself. She was so great, and irreverent, couldn't give a shit what the audience thought of her. I'm a fan for life.

by Anonymousreply 337December 2, 2022 3:18 AM

R337 Do you mean this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338December 2, 2022 3:21 AM

This is the first time I’ve watched Plaza, which I think is for the best. She’s great here, but the “monotone quirky girl” schtick she’s apparently known for quickly wears thin. Another reason I have less than zero interest in the Wednesday Addams show.

by Anonymousreply 339December 2, 2022 3:29 AM

Yes, it was the Independent Spirit Awards. Not sure which year, I'll have to check them out. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 340December 2, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote] She’s great here, but the “monotone quirky girl” schtick she’s apparently known for quickly wears thin. Another reason I have less than zero interest in the Wednesday Addams show.

Geez, you sound so angry. Why don't you go relax by watching a hilarious old episode of "Daria."

by Anonymousreply 341December 2, 2022 3:32 AM

R339 Yeah I can see that. I'm a sucker for deadpan, it rarely gets as dead.

by Anonymousreply 342December 2, 2022 3:33 AM

[quote]You are either a gay man or a straight woman.

Then, WTF does that make YOU? This is a gay message forum. Of course, we know fraus post here. Are you a straight woman or a man, gay or straight? Seems doubtful straight men post here.

Portia isn’t beautiful, anyone who thinks she is, needs to get their eyes examined. Do you know what the word ‘beautiful' means? Portia's annoying personality would turn most straight men off, they'd just want to fuck her. Most straight me will fuck anything.

Some lucky people, men and women, have the whole package. These individuals are physically attractive, have great personalities, are intelligent and are also decent honest people. Portia possesses none of those qualities, she’s a freaking hooker, a scammer and a grifter.

Albie is naive, he's getting laid, I'm sure he doesn't care about Portia's face, just her mouth and vagine. Portia is trying to dupe the naive horny Albie. Portia know he’s wealthy, she wants his money and/or have him bring her back to the US.

No female character on this show is naturally beautiful. Most women need makeup and a good hairstyle to transform their looks. Have you seen some actresses and models without makeup? I have. It's not always a pretty sight.

by Anonymousreply 343December 2, 2022 3:54 AM

I dunno. I thought the first season of this went down easy enough and comparatively had more character - while I won’t bemoan the loss of Steve Zahn, this season is seriously missing the likes of Jake Lacey, Murray Bartlett and Sydney Sweeney. This is pretty thin stuff. You’re pretty much just watching some uptight people on holiday at a hotel. With some prostitutes? Big deal. By the third episode, I was looking at my phone.

Some thoughts:

1. This show owes A LOT to Fantasy Island.

2. The attractive cast doesn’t make up for the thinly drawn characters, most of which are pale imitations of the characters from the first season - I won’t waste space with direct comparisons because it’s so obvious.

3. Ethan is gay. In love with Cam. I hope he forces him to be his lover in order to do business with him.

4. Why would you cast the great Aubrey Plaza and then give her SO little to do?

5. Who is this fat faced dwarf Haley Lu Richardson? This is a nepotism baby, right?

6. Michael Imperioli is THE FACE. What a face. His time has truly arrived. We’re going to see him in things for the next 20 years. He will always be THE GUY. Imagine him with a gooey eye. You can project anything on him. He doesn’t even have a character in this and with that face he doesn’t need one. He suggests multitudes.

7. I realised I didn’t even watch the end of the most recent episode yet and didn’t know what you guys were talking about but, OMG, the Tom Hollander character/performance is like some shit Mike White reheated in a microwave. So tiresome and lazy. And the “Essex Boy” thing is even more tired - just a bunch of tired phrases “oo stick with me, I’m mad I am” nonsense. There should be like a Writers Guild rule against this kind of absolutely lazy, bog standard characterisation. I’m guessing Mike White watched some TOWIE.

8. Surprised this is such a ratings hit. It’s well produced for what is mostly people walking up and down passageways in a hotel. Attractive but completely uninspired. Oh and Lucia should definitely marry the son and go back with them to LA. I’ve already written the scene between her and Imperioli.

9. They should just get Ricardo Montalban for Season Three.

by Anonymousreply 344December 2, 2022 4:26 AM

[quote] 9. They should just get Ricardo Montalban for Season Three.

For some reason he won't reply to their calls.

by Anonymousreply 345December 2, 2022 4:28 AM

I’ve been cracking up all week at people shocked to discover Jack isn’t Quentin’s nephew (or even more hilarious, is his nephew and the two are engaging in incest).

by Anonymousreply 346December 2, 2022 4:31 AM

You know no one is forcing you to watch the show r344? I frequently ditch shows if I am not enjoying them.

by Anonymousreply 347December 2, 2022 4:57 AM

They should just reanimate him, R345. It would be in keeping with the reheating of everything else about this show.

by Anonymousreply 348December 2, 2022 4:59 AM

If you were a character on this show R347, we’d have to catch you fingering yourself and sniffing your fingers right about now.

by Anonymousreply 349December 2, 2022 5:02 AM

S1 contained thin writing and filler second unit shots as well, but the colonialism theme and certain on-the-nose conversations/monologues made it seem a little bigger and better than it was. In an interview before S2, Mike White said he ditched the on-the-nose social commentary and he certainly did. I guess more realistic dialogue makes sense for this season. I kind of miss it, though.

by Anonymousreply 350December 2, 2022 5:40 AM

I thought season one had a lot of COVID related production problems and that the endless second unit shots were the result of that. Either Mike White is just copying the formula set in season one or It's all just to mask thin storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 351December 2, 2022 5:46 AM

The thin storytelling and endless second unit shots lends credence to the charge that this show is just a glorified vacation for the cast and crew.

by Anonymousreply 352December 2, 2022 5:56 AM

R328 I remember the Baby Jane reference in the first season and finding it kinda interesting, but also clunky. But in some ways it fit well. I don't know if it was a "gay" slip by White, but my thought was that because Shane was wealthy and cultured, and likely existed in a lifestyle where the gay connotation of of Baby Jane isn't as well-known. He probably did take some old film class in some stuffy New England private university where they watch classic films.

by Anonymousreply 353December 2, 2022 5:57 AM

If there's any B.Davis role that gen-xers or millennials have knowledge of, it's probably WEHTBJ.

by Anonymousreply 354December 2, 2022 6:12 AM

That Baby Jane moment could have been a good scene to present another facet of Rachel's fish-out-of-water problem: Shane made the reference, and she could have asked who's Baby Jane, only to be abruptly lambasted by her husband for not knowing or appreciating classic cinema.

by Anonymousreply 355December 2, 2022 6:42 AM

It's not possible for anyone to enjoy any movie or TV show or book today without feeling certain they could rewrite the entire thing as a whole different story and recast it with different actors to make it something great, is it?

by Anonymousreply 356December 2, 2022 10:16 AM

Probably not since the last truly great television show, Laverne and Shirley, R356.

by Anonymousreply 357December 2, 2022 12:12 PM

R343 I am straight. We were discussing Lucia being beautiful, which she is. Not Portia. Portia is pretty, not beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 358December 2, 2022 1:12 PM

The only beautiful one in the cast is the actress playing Daphne.

by Anonymousreply 359December 2, 2022 1:16 PM

R336 I was surprised at how tedious Plaza got in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 360December 2, 2022 1:20 PM

Theo James is also beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 361December 2, 2022 1:24 PM

If Ethan and Harper had any sense they would go off and do their own thing. Maybe just meet the others for drinks before dinner. Constantly being with the other couple is unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 362December 2, 2022 1:31 PM

r362 Why would Ethan want to be stuck alone with Harpy when he can party with hottie Cam instead?

by Anonymousreply 363December 2, 2022 1:47 PM

From what I've seen, the storyline seems to be suggesting that Ethan has a porn addiction and that's why he can't get into real sex with Harper (or maybe anyone). There's no real suggestion that he's secretly gay for Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 364December 2, 2022 1:53 PM

R344 You hated the show so very much you paid close attention and gave a detailed multi-pointed reading of it on a message board. Ok, then.

by Anonymousreply 365December 2, 2022 1:57 PM

Great article about the costuming. If HBO were to cancel this show, the magazine industry should fund it, it’s generated more Magazine pieces than any show in recent memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366December 2, 2022 3:48 PM

Honey the magazine industry could barely fund a hot dog stand these days. They have been hurting for revenue.

by Anonymousreply 367December 2, 2022 4:03 PM

Lucia is a knockout. Most beautiful woman in the cast by far!

by Anonymousreply 368December 2, 2022 4:24 PM

I agree R368 and I can't believe it's even up for discussion.

I'm not a straight man but I have sat next to them in class and I studied them. Lucia would reduce them all to drooling idiots crawling over glass shards for a pat on the head.

by Anonymousreply 369December 2, 2022 4:34 PM

I knew what jack was doing there and knew he was not someone's nephew. In 1965 When I was a teenager we had an attorney living in our condo building. He was obviously gay and extremely pretentious always reminding you he was a lawyer. He always had a young twink living with him and he referred to them as his "nephew". Everybody in the building knew the guy wasn't a nephew and they all gossiped about him. I think a lot of people would know about Jack and are not as naive as you think.

by Anonymousreply 370December 2, 2022 4:35 PM

R343 You mean Lucia and Albie. Some of the women are good looking. Cameron's wife,Lucia,Mia and Eva look good.

R368 Lucia is hot. She is not some gorgeous supermodel but she oozes sex. She has a great look.

R361 Theo has that Greeky stubble look down pat. A handsome man playing a fucking prick.

by Anonymousreply 371December 2, 2022 4:39 PM

Let me guess, r359: it’s because she’s the only blonde in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 372December 2, 2022 4:45 PM

I just realized, Valentina gave front desk girl that broach that’s a starfish, I think that’s an allusion to the fact she will be one of the drowned.

by Anonymousreply 373December 2, 2022 4:51 PM

Some people are way too obtuse for their own good.

In my time., I took 10+ cruises on Crystal Cruises (it was great, in its day). God knows why, but Crystal favored Catholic priests as their preferred chaplain (maybe, priests were better at using the system to get free vacations). Over time, I met three different priests traveling with their nephew. Ahem…

by Anonymousreply 374December 2, 2022 5:16 PM

[quote] It's not possible for anyone to enjoy any movie or TV show or book today without feeling certain they could rewrite the entire thing as a whole different story and recast it with different actors to make it something great, is it?

At least on Datalounge. I've been surprised by how petty some of these complaints are--I don't get why it's such an obsession with this show, which almost everyone here agrees is well written and engaging. There's this really weird desire among posters here to pick it apart for some reason: "Well, I like it, but you'll never convince me that Aubrey Plaza is making this character different enough from April Ludgate, or that Jack's first vacation in Italy would ever be Sicily, or that I didn't see the plot twist with Quentin and Jack coming, or whatever other petty complaint I have."

by Anonymousreply 375December 2, 2022 5:21 PM

I would assume cruises would want a priests on board to deliver last rights if the ship is sinking, that’s what I call full service.

by Anonymousreply 376December 2, 2022 5:22 PM

But priests who’d rather go down in the suana rather than with the ship?!

by Anonymousreply 377December 2, 2022 5:55 PM

R377 you, good sir or madam, broke the internet today. WW for you!

by Anonymousreply 378December 2, 2022 6:04 PM

Meghen Fahy is a generic blonde beauty. Aubrey looks good and has a high sexual energy. Haley is cute. The two hookers look great, but no real sexual heat.

by Anonymousreply 379December 2, 2022 7:07 PM

[quote] If there's any B.Davis role that gen-xers or millennials have knowledge of, it's probably WEHTBJ.

Ann B. Davis?

I think they know her as Alice from "The Brady Bunch," although I most love her as Schultzie in "Love That Bob!"

by Anonymousreply 380December 2, 2022 7:12 PM

[quote] I knew what jack was doing there and knew he was not someone's nephew.

We really need an award to hand out for this.

by Anonymousreply 381December 2, 2022 7:16 PM

F. Murray Abrahams lines are perfectly written and perfectly delivered.

by Anonymousreply 382December 2, 2022 7:19 PM

Although I agree he's excellent in the role, it's funny how F. Murray Abraham has become so beloved now. he was not much liked before because of his creepy skinny body and his pretentious comments when he awarded the Best Actress Oscar to Geraldine Fitzgerald.

by Anonymousreply 383December 2, 2022 7:26 PM

Meg Tilly said he was an absolute terror on Amadeus and told people she was having an affair with Tom Hulce.

I'm not sure why he's been cast as an Italian here but...whatever.

by Anonymousreply 384December 2, 2022 7:28 PM

Yeah I think Murray has been great, it's unfortunate his character hasn't had more to do but he has been pitch perfect on everything they have asked.

Now Michael Imperioli I haven't been impressed by. It's a perfectly adequate performance but not adding a lot to it.

by Anonymousreply 385December 2, 2022 7:28 PM

[quote] F. Murray Abrahams lines are perfectly written and perfectly delivered.

His make-up is a little weird, like his eyes are leaking. Sort of like my dog.

by Anonymousreply 386December 2, 2022 7:29 PM

He’s half Italian.

by Anonymousreply 387December 2, 2022 7:30 PM

r375 You're surprised to find pettiness on DL?

by Anonymousreply 388December 2, 2022 7:38 PM

No way do I buy Murray as Chris-ta fuh's father...

by Anonymousreply 389December 2, 2022 7:40 PM

R385 which leads me to believe he will have a major storyline coming up or he’s a red herring in the plot.

by Anonymousreply 390December 2, 2022 7:42 PM

Roy Cohn, R370?

by Anonymousreply 391December 2, 2022 7:54 PM

Lucia's tits are lovely.

by Anonymousreply 392December 2, 2022 8:24 PM

I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY OF THE WOMEN LOOK LIKE!!!!! Change the topic Will Sharpe's hairy pubes or take your conversation over to reddit!

by Anonymousreply 393December 2, 2022 8:45 PM

Reddit did post an interesting theory from TikTok. A woman who works for an opera academy said that she thinks that there may be a link to operas since Tanya was taken to an opera house and Quentin told Tanya that she's like "a tragic heroine in a Puccini opera". She speculated that Tanya may throw herself off the cliff like at the end of Tosca. An episode back Quentin told Tanya a creepy story about a woman washing up on the rocks about the island as well.

by Anonymousreply 394December 2, 2022 8:58 PM

I wonder how far ahead Mike W thought out the story and characters. I just saw a clip from season one with Tanya telling Greg to go away because "I'm a DEAD END! I'm a TRAP DOOR!" Maybe Greg is the one who's going to fall through.

by Anonymousreply 395December 2, 2022 9:12 PM

It's not that Shane is too young to know about WEHTBJ, it's the fact that he's a shallow douche.

by Anonymousreply 396December 2, 2022 9:20 PM

The most interesting theory I heard is that Quentin is planning to commit suicide because he can't have Greg.

by Anonymousreply 397December 2, 2022 9:25 PM

I think it's more likely about money. The hints seem to be pointing there. Quentin told Tanya that he has been trying to get a heritage subsidy from the government for the palazzo, but has been denied. The government wants the palazzo to be open to the public, something Quentin aggressively stated “is not going to happen.”

by Anonymousreply 398December 2, 2022 9:37 PM

All y’all who are posting about Aubrey Fucking Plaza being hot are HIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH.

by Anonymousreply 399December 2, 2022 9:50 PM

[quote] It's not that Shane is too young to know about WEHTBJ, it's the fact that he's a shallow douche.

But a restrained, relatively polite and well-mannered shallow douche, who never threw a shit fit. While they were rivals of a sort, I always thought Armand in his career must have dealt with much worse in terms of demanding, emotional, rude and unreasonable guests. Shane was a peach.

by Anonymousreply 400December 2, 2022 9:55 PM

[quote]6. Michael Imperioli is THE FACE. What a face. His time has truly arrived. We’re going to see him in things for the next 20 years. He will always be THE GUY. Imagine him with a gooey eye. You can project anything on him. He doesn’t even have a character in this and with that face he doesn’t need one. He suggests multitudes.

This is the most moronic posting of all the moronic posts ever posted in all the moronic threads ever posted on the DL since the birth of the universe.

You, R344, are a moron.

by Anonymousreply 401December 2, 2022 9:56 PM

[quote] All y’all who are posting about Aubrey Fucking Plaza being hot are HIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH.

Based on the video of her reading thirst tweets, she primarily attracts masochists.

by Anonymousreply 402December 2, 2022 10:00 PM

[quote] Change the topic Will Sharpe's hairy pubes

In this latest episode I took note of his extremely vascular biceps and forearms. So masc.

by Anonymousreply 403December 2, 2022 11:25 PM

No, Haley Lu Richardson is not a "nepotism baby". HLR seems to have been around for awhile. I guess if you don't watch Freeform, ABC Family etc and other youth oriented channels, you wouldn't know much about her.

"Haley Lu Richardson was born in Phoenix, Arizona, the daughter of Valerie, a marketing and branding professional, and Forrest L. Richardson, a golf course architect. Richardson attended Villa Montessori through middle school, then Arcadia High School. She was a regular in theatrical productions and regional dance competitions throughout the Southwest. From 2001 to 2011 she was a leading dancer in Phoenix's Cannedy Dance Company. In 2011, she moved to Hollywood, California."

"In 2013, Richardson began a recurring role as Tess in the ABC Family series Ravenswood. She has appeared as a guest on Disney Channel's Shake It Up and was a co-star in ABC's pilot production "Adopted". She played Juliana in the Lifetime original movie Escape from Polygamy, alongside Jack Falahee.

In 2016, she had a recurring role as Ellie in the Freeform drama series Recovery Road. Her early film career included a leading role in The Last Survivors as well as supporting performances in The Edge of Seventeen and Split.

Her breakthrough came in 2017 when she starred opposite John Cho in Columbus. For her work in the film she was nominated for the 2017 Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Actress. Reviewing Columbus in The New Yorker, Richard Brody praised her performance: "Richardson in particular vaults to the forefront of her generation’s actors with this performance, which virtually sings with emotional and intellectual acuity."

In 2019, Richardson starred in the romantic drama Five Feet Apart opposite Cole Sprouse. In the film she plays a cystic fibrosis patient who falls in love with a boy with the same disease.

In 2022 she co-starred as Portia in the second season of the HBO anthology comedy The White Lotus."

by Anonymousreply 404December 3, 2022 12:06 AM

OK, Haley Lu's PR.

by Anonymousreply 405December 3, 2022 12:11 AM

R404 we know, we know. Skip the cut & paste—thank you. This info was shared many episodes ago.

by Anonymousreply 406December 3, 2022 12:13 AM

[quote] But a restrained, relatively polite and well-mannered shallow douche, who never threw a shit fit.

The very first thing he does on the show — IN HIS VERY FIRST SCENE — is tell an elderly couple at the airport to “leave him the fuck alone” in response to their routine questions about his vacation.

Do I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 407December 3, 2022 12:17 AM

[quote]OK, Haley Lu's PR.

No, I'm not anyone's PR, I was simply making a point that anyone posting in these White Lotus threads can easily check out if any performer got their work via nepotism. I simply went to Wiki to get info on this actress.

I never saw Haley before. If she's done work for youth oriented streaming services and TV channels I could understand why a lot of older people never heard of her. Looks wise, she reminds me of Florence Pugh.

I've never seen Will Sharpe in anything but this series, apparently he's been acting for awhile, has won awards, was nominated for a BAFTA and has been in the business for a while. Will is British and Japanese, IIRC, he attended Cambridge. Apparently he's no slouch. Does he normally speak in a British accent? I have no clue.

The only people I recognized in this series are J Coolidge, M Imperioli, F Murray Abraham, Aubrey Plaza and Theo James. The actress who play's Cam's wife, I thought she was on The Goldberg's as one of their kids friends, but it's not the same actress. Looks wise these two actresses are interchangeable, the only difference, Fahy is a blond.

by Anonymousreply 408December 3, 2022 12:31 AM

The only thing I had seen Richardson in was The Edge of Seventeen and thought she was good as a supporting character.

by Anonymousreply 409December 3, 2022 12:42 AM

Haley Lu is from Arizona! That makes so much sense! Meghan McCain vapid vibes.

by Anonymousreply 410December 3, 2022 12:42 AM

Haley Lu is the muse of the indie film director Kogonada. She was in both of his films, Columbus and After Yang, and was great in both.

by Anonymousreply 411December 3, 2022 12:49 AM

Arizona and Florida seem to make the wackadoodles.

by Anonymousreply 412December 3, 2022 1:08 AM

JOHN MCCAIN IS THE FATHER OF MY STATE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 413December 3, 2022 1:10 AM

Hey, I'm the eldergay poster from the first WL S2 thread who asked who this Aubrey Plaza person was and why she was so special to many of you.

5 episodes in, I'll ask the same question. She plays Harper like a one-dimensional humorless bitch and I'm having trouble maintaining any empathy for her character.

by Anonymousreply 414December 3, 2022 1:32 AM

R414 I feel the same; a bit surprised at the Aubrey Plaza stanning. She isn't bad, by any means, but one-note is right.

by Anonymousreply 415December 3, 2022 1:42 AM

Aubrey Plaza is an acquired taste, like oysters.

by Anonymousreply 416December 3, 2022 1:44 AM

Well, if this is your first exposure of Aubrey, I'm guessing you're not likely to look for a follow-up. She's just so sour and bitchy as Harper all the time, I hardly blame her husband for ignoring her.

by Anonymousreply 417December 3, 2022 1:47 AM

I used to get Haley Lu Richardson mixed up with Quinn Shepherd for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 418December 3, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote]Aubrey Plaza is an acquired taste, like oysters.

Aubrey appears to be extremely one note, she's has the same demeanor in anything she's been in.

When I heard she was going to be in White Lotus, I hoped she'd show more of a range. I guess not. I do wonder how and why she gets hired. Aubrey even acts the same when she's on talk shows, she always has a very deadpan presentation. If that's the case, is she really acting or just reading lines the same way she acts in real life? Is that a talent?

by Anonymousreply 419December 3, 2022 1:55 AM

Greg was furious about Tanya bringing her assistant because it complicates his plans to murder her, or have her murdered by the gays.

by Anonymousreply 420December 3, 2022 2:16 AM

Why didn't Tanya have an assistant in S1 when she actually had something to accomplish?

by Anonymousreply 421December 3, 2022 2:20 AM

R407 He did apologize after Armand walked into his knife.

by Anonymousreply 422December 3, 2022 4:21 AM

Theo James is on Fallon right now, he mentioned in the much talked about dick scene, he was wearing a "12 inch prosthetic". Not sure where he supposedly mentioned that was actually his dick. He seemed more than happy to admit that wasn't his dick.

Jimmy joked, "I'm so happy to hear that! And so are so many other men."

by Anonymousreply 423December 3, 2022 4:29 AM

Is it confirmed that next season takes place in Thailand?

by Anonymousreply 424December 3, 2022 4:39 AM

Apparently White has hinted at Japan in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 425December 3, 2022 5:09 AM

R425, interesting. There's certainly potential for culture shock there. We've already seen a tropical climate and a Mediterranean climate -- I'd be curious to see what Mike White would do somewhere cold-weather (Japan could fit that bill).

by Anonymousreply 426December 3, 2022 5:17 AM

Aubrey on Colbert Part One: On location filming The White Lotus Season 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427December 3, 2022 5:34 AM

Aubrey on Colbert Part 2: Aubrey spills the tea on her co-stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428December 3, 2022 5:37 AM

[quote] Apparently White has hinted at Japan in interviews.

No fats, no femmes, no Asians!

by Anonymousreply 429December 3, 2022 7:14 AM

Mexico, Morocco, southern Africa, or Bali would be great choices.

by Anonymousreply 430December 3, 2022 7:37 AM

I think why I don't find Portia that attractive is her fried looking hair and odd clothing. But I saw a picture of her younger with long hair and she was a pretty girl.

by Anonymousreply 431December 3, 2022 8:17 AM

^^^ I just realized she played the friend in The Edge of Seventeen

by Anonymousreply 432December 3, 2022 8:19 AM

I guess Bali is off the menu as Indonesia has just passed a law that sex outside of marriage is a jailable offence, including for tourists.

R430

by Anonymousreply 433December 3, 2022 8:51 AM

Do they want to kill tourism!?

by Anonymousreply 434December 3, 2022 8:57 AM

What will the thousands of Balinese sex workers do to survive?

by Anonymousreply 435December 3, 2022 9:17 AM

Regarding Aubrey Plaza reading thirsty tweets about her. WT(actual)F??? Are that many people convinced something good (like sex with Aubrey) comes at a great cost (like, your life, limbs, and organs)? That's just sad and quite unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 436December 3, 2022 9:17 AM

Late to the party, I just finished the 5th episode. I am watching it on some illicit Thai website… Anyway! — Some observations…

1) Why is Jennifer Coolidge in it? It makes very little sense to me to have an S1 actor appear in S2…

2) Valentina: Fantastic actress, her micro-expressions are so subtle yet so effective… and she is so very, very Italian.

3) F. Murray Abraham: A joy to watch, the way he delivers his lines, the slight raise of an eyebrow… fantastic. At 83!

4) Harper: Even before things went south before the Molly Party… what a total bitch. Since they came into money, they should have spent a few days away from that creepy Stepford couple.

5) The whores: I find myself reaching for the fast-forward button as I honestly don't care what happens with or to them.

6) Daphne: Interesting character despite putting up a front at first as some careless bimbo in the perfect marriage.

7) Dominic/the father: Meh. Sordid life, lots of gin and regrets. Serial cheater who realises his promiscuity comes at a steep price. Ok, sure. Fine.

8) The gays + nephew: I don't think anything nefarious will happen here; lots of red herrings, seems like they will approach Tanya at some point to "invest" so they can maintain their lavish lifestyle. The scenes are fun.

9) Albie: Saving the best for last. I think he will throw someone off a cliff, in a fit of bottled up rage. One of the hookers? His father? Who knows, but there are many layers to his character. We'll see… and then there's his legs.

Overall, I have to say I don't find this season as interesting and provocative as the first. I understand the running theme of the show is "rich people and their mundane problems" against some cultural backdrop, but it just lacks the intrigue and the absolute craziness of season one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437December 3, 2022 10:02 AM

S1 had some truly astonishing characters - Armond, Shane and Olivia. I could have done without the rimming and scat scenes, but I was just waiting for what they were going to say next.

No one even comes close in S2, although I like Valentina and Cameron a lot.

by Anonymousreply 438December 3, 2022 10:20 AM

Daphne is obviously a gay man's fantasy. She's way too glamorous and cool to be a real woman, same with Lucia. On the other hand, Harper and Portia's characters seem very realistic.

by Anonymousreply 439December 3, 2022 11:58 AM

R383. Yes, it was especially annoying since that actress had not been nominated since 1939.

by Anonymousreply 440December 3, 2022 12:37 PM

[quote]Daphne is obviously a gay man's fantasy.

No, R437. No she is not.

by Anonymousreply 441December 3, 2022 12:49 PM

It's interesting that we get scenes of the two couples together, and as guy-guy and girl-girl pairs, and we get Harper and Ethan alone in their rooms, but we never see Daphne and Cameron alone together in their room or elsewhere. I imagine Daphne is tending to her hair during most of those hours.

by Anonymousreply 442December 3, 2022 1:14 PM

There was at least one scene of Daphne and Cameron together in their hotel room early on, they were laughing and fooling around loudly and Harper was in the other room wondering what was going on. There was also the scene of them laughing while buying gaudy clothes for Cameron in the gift shop. The show introduced them as a warm and fun couple (and now is complicating the portrayal).

by Anonymousreply 443December 3, 2022 2:08 PM

r72, the tired "sexuality is a spectrum" bs is a LGBTQIRXT trope. pushed on gays by bisexuals and gays with internalized homophobia. I'm sure you can figure out which one you are. You can stop LARPING as a real gay man now.

by Anonymousreply 444December 3, 2022 2:09 PM

Is the White Lotus supposed to be the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons?

by Anonymousreply 445December 3, 2022 2:33 PM

R445 both seasons were shot at Four Seasons

by Anonymousreply 446December 3, 2022 2:34 PM

The Four Seasons Maui looked far better in the series than it does in real life.

I stay there about four years ago and thought it was really showing its age.

by Anonymousreply 447December 3, 2022 2:38 PM

r447 That seems concerning, given it was refurbed in 2017.

That said, the production team did change a lot of the soft furnishings, etc

by Anonymousreply 448December 3, 2022 2:59 PM

R426 It's Japan, not Siberia.

by Anonymousreply 449December 3, 2022 3:44 PM

I think the idea of a cold-weather season is unlikely: everyone thought they would do a cold-weather "Survivor," but the showrunner said it would decrease viewership since part of the pleasure is seeing hot bodies in skimpy hot weather clothes. The same thing would be true if this show: who wants to see Theo James in a parka rather than in European-cut swim trunks?

by Anonymousreply 450December 3, 2022 4:43 PM

Fun interview with actress who plays Lucia:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451December 3, 2022 5:28 PM

[quote]That seems concerning, given it was refurbed in 2017.

OK, my dates are off. I visited the Four Seasons Maui *before* the refurbishing. I thought it looks surprisingly shabby for a Four Seasons.

The Fairmont next door look much better maintained (although I saw one of the guest rooms and it was tacky AF).

by Anonymousreply 452December 3, 2022 5:43 PM

I would expect either Asia or Central America to be next now they've had seasons in Oceania and Europe.

I think Thailand or Mexico are the best bets.

by Anonymousreply 453December 3, 2022 10:27 PM

My bet would be Mexico, R453.

by Anonymousreply 454December 3, 2022 10:48 PM

Several locales in Mexico would lend themselves to that beauty + creepy + sinister kind of vibe.

by Anonymousreply 455December 4, 2022 12:05 AM

Mexico could be fun if they could bring in drug lords (which are actually rarely in evidence near high-end resorts there) and ancient civilizations.

by Anonymousreply 456December 4, 2022 12:07 AM

Is Mexico glamorous enough? It seems so...common.

by Anonymousreply 457December 4, 2022 12:08 AM

It should be Bora Bora, the Maldives, or the Seychelles. That’s where some of the best Four Seasons properties are, and the show has a partnership with the Four Seasons.

by Anonymousreply 458December 4, 2022 12:11 AM

It won't be though, because islands would lead to a massive production cost increase.

by Anonymousreply 459December 4, 2022 12:14 AM

R458 Great guesses. Some of the other ones have been utterly underwhelming. Sort of like watching Coolidge,Plaza and Richardson boring us every week.

by Anonymousreply 460December 4, 2022 12:14 AM

If they do winter Japan, they better have scenes with them in the hot springs with the monkeys or I’m not watching!

by Anonymousreply 461December 4, 2022 12:14 AM

[quote]There was at least one scene of Daphne and Cameron together in their hotel room early on, they were laughing and fooling around loudly and Harper was in the other room wondering what was going on. There was also the scene of them laughing while buying gaudy clothes for Cameron in the gift shop. The show introduced them as a warm and fun couple (and now is complicating the portrayal).

I find people, and couples, who are always happy, usually have a laundry list of problems they never mention, even to their closest friends. I never buy anyone who comes across as happy and satisfied 24/7, most humans aren't. People who are 'on' 24/7 usually are covering something up.

Cameron is a manipulative evil creep and his wife seems a little off herself. Those kids are probably her trainers.

by Anonymousreply 462December 4, 2022 12:15 AM

I’d like to see a high end African Safari where they are slowly hunted for game and one dies off each episode. Shake it up Mike!

by Anonymousreply 463December 4, 2022 12:15 AM

Not showing Cam and Daphne is a writing flaw and trick to build more tension and mystery about them, not letting the viewer on the same level of intimacy with them for a more shocking reveal when it happens.

by Anonymousreply 464December 4, 2022 12:20 AM

There've been multiple scenes of them alone together - they just don't do a lot of talking.

by Anonymousreply 465December 4, 2022 12:23 AM

Are there Four Seasons in Africa or the Far East?

Though by the 3rd season. with the budget happily soaring, the show may not need to rely on a Four Seasons as a location. And if it's shot at an actual working locale, they'd have to do it during off-season.

by Anonymousreply 466December 4, 2022 12:37 AM

White Lotus: Mongolia

by Anonymousreply 467December 4, 2022 12:58 AM

The "far East" lol, that's cracks me up r466.

But yes Four Seasons has several locations in in sub Saharan Africa. A Serengeti resort, a Johannesburg location and two in the Seychelles. And many throughout Asia that are too numerous to start listing.

by Anonymousreply 468December 4, 2022 1:06 AM

Can we not say Far East any more, 468? Why? And what is the correct and approved term for those countries in the extreme eastern sphere of Asia?

by Anonymousreply 469December 4, 2022 2:10 AM

East Asia

by Anonymousreply 470December 4, 2022 2:24 AM

[quote] It won't be though, because islands would lead to a massive production cost increase.

Besides, they just did one set on an Island (Maui) last time.

by Anonymousreply 471December 4, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote] And many throughout Asia that are too numerous to start listing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472December 4, 2022 2:27 AM

[quote]Can we not say Far East any more, 468? Why?

Sure you can use it but you sound old, a bit racist and out of touch. As for why - the term is criticized by some as Eurocentric, by placing Europe at the centre of the map. Additionally, the idea that the Far East encompasses a somehow more exotic lifestyle and culture suggests that European culture is the norm against which all other cultures should be compared.

by Anonymousreply 473December 4, 2022 2:29 AM

Maybe Albie thinks he is protecting Lucia from somebody and accidentally kills them? The “pimp” (who isn’t actually a pimp), or Cameron, or his father?

Will accidentally kills Cameron in a fit of rage? Or his wife?

by Anonymousreply 474December 4, 2022 3:28 AM

The musical score for this series is the best I've heard since Brokeback Mountain. They really don't make truly good and memorable musical scores/themes anymore. Somehow, this series is an exception.

by Anonymousreply 475December 4, 2022 3:43 AM

Can a person die without having been murdered in this world?

by Anonymousreply 476December 4, 2022 3:43 AM

[quote] The musical score for this series is the best I've heard since Brokeback Mountain.

The music reminds me somewhat of the Succession theme tune.

by Anonymousreply 477December 4, 2022 3:47 AM

No one said any of the corpses from the first episode were murder victims.

by Anonymousreply 478December 4, 2022 3:48 AM

They all died of natural causes.

by Anonymousreply 479December 4, 2022 3:58 AM

Other than Alvie’s ass and Ethan’s pubes, is there anyone that DL thinks shouldn’t be killed? Sounds like everyone posting thinks all the characters are expendable.

The fact that Tanya believed Quentin when he confirmed to her that the woman at the opera was the Queen of Sicily means there is no way in hell she knows who Monica Vitti is. The only thing Tanya would know about is what the latest fad diet is, which prescription/s she wants, and the various brands of ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 480December 4, 2022 4:00 AM

Currently Sofia Landaluce y Melgarejo is the wife of the head of the house of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Prince Pedro, Duke of Calabria. As such, she could claim to be the uncrowned Queen of Sicily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481December 4, 2022 4:08 AM

I know Rocco said "killed."

by Anonymousreply 482December 4, 2022 4:18 AM

r472 I vote for Season 3: White Lotus Baltimore. The mystery can be which character doesn't get killed by the end.

by Anonymousreply 483December 4, 2022 4:41 AM

Yes, R437, Adam DiMarco’s legs deserve their own thread. But we part company when you sayyou prefer season 1. Ihonk season 2 is much better.

by Anonymousreply 484December 4, 2022 5:24 AM

I like this season, but other than the "who dies, who did it and how" angle being more exciting, nothing is quite as interesting as the strange Paula and Olivia relationship in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 485December 4, 2022 6:30 AM

Both seasons are fairly enjoyable on their own, but the online discussion/theories take it up a notch for me.

by Anonymousreply 486December 4, 2022 6:41 AM

Lucia is attractive but her features are a touch too coarse to be “beautiful.”

Great body, though.

Maybe if she had a better hairstyle? Those hideous bangs are working my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 487December 4, 2022 7:34 AM

Tanya grew up in San Francisco / Bay Area. It's very plausible that she would be familiar with the films of Antonioni.

by Anonymousreply 488December 4, 2022 7:36 AM

The drugs will kill him in the near future.

I say this because he appears to have nothing to live for.

Think about that: one of the luckiest people on the planet has nothing to live for.

by Anonymousreply 489December 4, 2022 7:37 AM

Wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 490December 4, 2022 7:38 AM

Monica Vitti is something of an Italian icon. It's possible that someone who travels like Tanya just randomly picked that up. Like Marilyn Monroe is for the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 491December 4, 2022 7:42 AM

Valentina is model-level beautiful, with her high cheekbones and beautiful eyes. All she needs is to whiten her teeth. It surprised me that the actress, age 54, has been a singer and a comedienne, but never a model.

Daphne looks like the all-American blonde models of years past, eg Cybill Shepherd, Kim Alexis, Christie Brinkley.

Harper, with her hooded eyes, to me looks like an insect.

Tanya of course looks like a true icon, Miss Piggy.

by Anonymousreply 492December 4, 2022 7:42 AM

R492 a younger true icon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493December 4, 2022 7:55 AM

[quote] Monica Vitti is something of an Italian icon. It's possible that someone who travels like Tanya just randomly picked that up. Like Marilyn Monroe is for the U.S.

Sophia Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, Claudia Cardinale, Giulietta Masina (because I love La Strada). Those are the ones I could name. I must admit Monica Vitti would not come to my mind immediately.

To me, the only way it can be explained is that Tanya saw a movie of hers randomly and was so captured by it that she wanted to visit Italy because of that particular movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494December 4, 2022 8:27 AM

I think Patsy and Eddie should show up as vacationers next season, with a surprise visit from Saffy.

by Anonymousreply 495December 4, 2022 8:33 AM

Season 3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496December 4, 2022 8:41 AM

Young Jennifer Coolidge kind of looks a bit Vitti-ish, so a young Tanya may have been told so?

by Anonymousreply 497December 4, 2022 8:45 AM

R496 EXACTLY! White Lotus Morocco as someone upthread or thread before suggested!

by Anonymousreply 498December 4, 2022 9:12 AM

Morocco could work if White is trying to use different oceans each season. Season One: Pacific, Season Two: Mediterranean, Season Three (Morocco): Atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 499December 4, 2022 9:50 AM

R495 There are also rumours Dame Edna will take over from Valentina in the 7th episode...

by Anonymousreply 500December 4, 2022 9:56 AM

Since I have nothing more to contribute until I watch episode 6, here's one more picture of the Canadian cutie Adam DiMarco and his thighs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501December 4, 2022 10:00 AM

Is the Near East also a no-no?

by Anonymousreply 502December 4, 2022 12:59 PM

r476 it may be possible but in the first episode they call it murder

by Anonymousreply 503December 4, 2022 1:04 PM

R502 I feel othered & triggered!

by Anonymousreply 504December 4, 2022 1:40 PM

[quote]It should be Bora Bora, the Maldives, or the Seychelles.

Doing it on another tropical island would seem like a repeat of season 1.

I would even suggest a setting without water, but White seems obsessed with filming water.

by Anonymousreply 505December 4, 2022 2:25 PM

Gay men clearly flock to Tanya. I’m sure she hangs out with enough gays for one of them to have pulled up a photo at a party and teach her about Monica Vitti.

by Anonymousreply 506December 4, 2022 2:30 PM

The fact that so many of you are bending over backward to come up with backstories about how someone as ignorant as Tanya would know Vitti, only underscores what a false note it was.

People watching did not think, "Oh, OF COURSE, she knows Monica Vitta!" Because, truth be told, most of the audience didn't. And the audience thinks it is smarter than Tanya.

by Anonymousreply 507December 4, 2022 2:41 PM

I didn't think twice about Tanya knowing who Monica Vitti is.

Now Jake Lacy last season making the Baby Jane reference I agree with, I remember practically snorting when he said it because it was clearly a Mike White reference and not coming from the character.

by Anonymousreply 508December 4, 2022 2:44 PM

The Monica Vitti Problem has become this season’s How Much Cash Was in the Envelope.

by Anonymousreply 509December 4, 2022 3:17 PM

Far East is Euro-Centric but Middle East (which, to my understanding, is universally used) is not? Odd.

As was said above, a woman (born in the 70s?) to great wealth and growing up in San Francisco, even if not particularly smart, would likely know Monica Vitti. L'Avventura is in top ten movies of all time in the just-released Sight and Sound best 100 movies.

I am surprised at the multiple posts here about Valentina's great beauty. She's interesting looking but seems mostly comedic.

by Anonymousreply 510December 4, 2022 3:27 PM

Season 3 is Four Seasons Hong Kong. Lots of opportunities for shady people doing dangerous things ending up dead. Arms dealers, gamblers (Macau) attractive Asians, amoral expats/businessmen, bitter, former British government employees, on and on. Everyone is equally likely to turn up face down in the pool, no questions asked.

by Anonymousreply 511December 4, 2022 3:39 PM

Definitely Asia or Africa next season.

But will Tanya return? I'm guessing Mike White sees Jennifer Coolidge could become a liability of over-exposure in a third season but it could be fun to just give her a cameo in the the last episode, arriving at the resort as the S3 cast departs.

by Anonymousreply 512December 4, 2022 5:13 PM

No one cares how Tanya knew about Monica Vitti. For God's sake let it go.

by Anonymousreply 513December 4, 2022 5:28 PM

R513 Conversation. It's an art. You finger paint.

by Anonymousreply 514December 4, 2022 5:35 PM

Yes, the discussions of how Tanya knew about Monica Vitti are nothing if not artistry of the highest order.

by Anonymousreply 515December 4, 2022 5:44 PM

When are we going to get to see sexy Rocco in his beach house attire?

by Anonymousreply 516December 4, 2022 6:22 PM

They already dd TWL in Morocco, it's called "The Forgiven (2021)."

by Anonymousreply 517December 4, 2022 6:34 PM

Olivia and Paula reading a Camille Paglia book also felt like a false note.

Mike White said he based those characters on the hosts of the Red Scare podcast, but they're nothing like them. The RS hosts are supposedly economically far left, but also professional contrarian far-right apologists who hate people like Paula and Olivia. Conservative/Libertarian billionaire Peter Thiel is funds some of these types. It sounds like one big grift

by Anonymousreply 518December 4, 2022 6:52 PM

Do you think Valentina Will sleep with Mia?

by Anonymousreply 519December 4, 2022 9:57 PM

r518 Yeah Olivia and Paula would have a nervous breakdown if they were ever forced to read Camille Paglia. No idea what Mike White thought he was going for with that.

by Anonymousreply 520December 4, 2022 10:18 PM

Gay men would flock to Tanya because Tanya acts like Jennifer Coolidge!

by Anonymousreply 521December 4, 2022 10:38 PM

Gay men are attracted to hot messes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522December 4, 2022 10:44 PM

White Lotus, Times Square, Season 25!

by Anonymousreply 523December 4, 2022 11:40 PM

I really like the idea of White Lotus Japan. There’s a Four Seasons in Kyoto, maybe they could go for sakura season. They’ve done class/race, sex/relationships, so what would Season 3 examine - maybe faith/superstition? Kind of dull but Enlightenment was sort of about that.

by Anonymousreply 524December 4, 2022 11:48 PM

Just re-watched Episode 4 and Quentin introduces Jack specifically as his "Naughty Nephew."

by Anonymousreply 525December 5, 2022 12:17 AM

Far East sounds a little dated, but I can see it being used in a travelogue narrative.

A little like the term Outer Space. It would be a bit comical these days to refer to the Race to Outer Space.

by Anonymousreply 526December 5, 2022 12:29 AM

season 1: class, race, colonialism season 2: sexual dynamics, sub/dom season 3: religion?

ergo, Morocco or the Turkish Coast

by Anonymousreply 527December 5, 2022 12:30 AM

Jennifer Coolidge is the only same character in all of these seasons?

by Anonymousreply 528December 5, 2022 12:32 AM

The Four Seasons in the old city of Istanbul is a former prison, how apt

by Anonymousreply 529December 5, 2022 12:32 AM

R528 Her husband Greg was also in season 1.

by Anonymousreply 530December 5, 2022 12:34 AM

Everyone understands that Tanya's old boyfriend took her to see a double feature of Antonioni films at a revival house in San Francisco way back when, and Tanya identified with Monica Vitti... epecially when she rode that Vespa. Everyone!

by Anonymousreply 531December 5, 2022 12:35 AM

The Four Seasons in the Maldives is a UNESCO world heritage site on an island you can rent out - I could see Mike White picking that and doing hypocrisy about climate change / luxury “climate warrior” bullshit, like some celeb environmental charity.

by Anonymousreply 532December 5, 2022 12:36 AM

[quote] Jennifer Coolidge is the only same character in all of these seasons?

That's not been stated yet. For all we know she may die this season.

Tanya and her new husband Greg are the only characters who were in Season 1 who so far have been in Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 533December 5, 2022 12:47 AM

Either Adam DiMarco or his double is really hot from the back at breakfast. I think it's his double--I don;t think his back is actually that muscular.

by Anonymousreply 534December 5, 2022 1:13 AM

R375 and it’s mostly just one person on numerous accounts. It’s so creepy how he keeps going and going, nitpicking everything and then replying to himself from a different account to agree with himself. Psychotic behavior.

He even nitpicked Michael Imperioli looking down as he speaks at times because HE doesn’t know people who do that. So because HE doesn’t know people who do this means no one does, so it seems to bother him seeing an actor do it while acting.

It’s fucking embarrassing. His parents really fucked him up.

by Anonymousreply 535December 5, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote] Do you think Valentina Will sleep with Mia?

No, I think. Valentina is not all about her, and I believe only let her sing to get her out of her hair/not out her.

by Anonymousreply 536December 5, 2022 1:21 AM

R407 I’m almost certain the psycho never actually watched season 1, if he thinks Jake Lacy’s character was respectful and reserved who “never threw fits”. Shane threw fits throughout the entire season and was a monster.

by Anonymousreply 537December 5, 2022 1:29 AM

Note the strong physical resemblance between Albie and the pimp (Alessi?). I predict the murder will be complicated by a case of mistaken identity.

by Anonymousreply 538December 5, 2022 1:30 AM

ACK the front desk clerk that Valentina likes is engaged to Rocco.

by Anonymousreply 539December 5, 2022 1:44 AM

I feel sad for Valentina. She’s just very lonely. I wanna give her a hug, although I don’t think she’d like that lol

by Anonymousreply 540December 5, 2022 1:49 AM

Poor Valentina.

by Anonymousreply 541December 5, 2022 1:54 AM

LEZ LEZ!

by Anonymousreply 542December 5, 2022 1:56 AM

Another great Albie leg shot.

by Anonymousreply 543December 5, 2022 1:59 AM

I wish Albie would rescue me, he has such kind eyes.

by Anonymousreply 544December 5, 2022 2:09 AM

Was that Greg (the cowboy) in that photo?

by Anonymousreply 545December 5, 2022 2:12 AM

Yes

by Anonymousreply 546December 5, 2022 2:14 AM

Ethan is a paranoid psycho now. In the preview for next week it looked like he was trying to strangle Cam under water. R545 I believe so, they're setting up Tanya. Maybe Portia will come to her rescue.

by Anonymousreply 547December 5, 2022 2:14 AM

Greg was the guy on the right side of the photo.

by Anonymousreply 548December 5, 2022 2:14 AM

Yes r545.

I honestly didn't want it to be true. But Greg is Quentin's cowboy love and sent Quentin to carry out this plan. Man, I am enjoying this season but I really don't know how I feel about Mike White just going full Ryan Murphy with the writing.

by Anonymousreply 549December 5, 2022 2:16 AM

The head gay is going to blackmail Portia, or help Greg break his prenup?

by Anonymousreply 550December 5, 2022 2:16 AM

Portia is finally wising up.

The cowboy Greg reveal made me LOL.

by Anonymousreply 551December 5, 2022 2:16 AM

OOPS I mean TANYA ^^^

by Anonymousreply 552December 5, 2022 2:16 AM

They showed the photo clearly on purpose. Yes, it was Greg. He’s the cowboy, like many predicted.

by Anonymousreply 553December 5, 2022 2:17 AM

R549 this is nothing like Ryan Murphy writing….

by Anonymousreply 554December 5, 2022 2:17 AM

The actress who plays Valentina should be nominated for an Emmy for this season. She is so superb, and even her tiniest little expressions are full of meaning.

by Anonymousreply 555December 5, 2022 2:17 AM

R550 blackmail Portia? Ummm what???? What would that do? She’s broke. She’s not married. Tanya has the money.

by Anonymousreply 556December 5, 2022 2:18 AM

Portia: How do you help your uncle?

Jack: I was in a hole, a deep hole.

He ain't lying.

by Anonymousreply 557December 5, 2022 2:19 AM

Sabrina Impacciatore has been wonderful. Valentina is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 558December 5, 2022 2:19 AM

The show overall no, but this type of plot reveal of Greg as the secret gay lover and the mastermind behind this elaborate operation against Tanya is r554. White Lotus Season 1 did not get nearly that soapy.

by Anonymousreply 559December 5, 2022 2:20 AM

So the secret plot is that Niccolo going to kill Tanya (at the behest of Quentin), so Greg can inherit her fortune and split it with Quentin?

Jack was brought in to distract Portia and keep her in Palermo when Quentin and Niccolo take Tanya back to Taormina to kill her.

by Anonymousreply 560December 5, 2022 2:20 AM

Why was Bert so upset? Did he recognize the elderly woman at the farm? Why did she get so upset at him--would she have been so angry at anyone who came in like that, or did she recognize him?

by Anonymousreply 561December 5, 2022 2:21 AM

R559 that isn’t soapy. This didn’t play out like a soap opera. That kind of thing really happens.

by Anonymousreply 562December 5, 2022 2:22 AM

r550 I goofed, I meant Tanya and posted it above.

by Anonymousreply 563December 5, 2022 2:22 AM

I think their plan is to record her having sex which presumably violates their prenup r560? Most prenups have a infidelity clause right.

If all they wanted to do was murder Tanya they easily could have done so by now.

by Anonymousreply 564December 5, 2022 2:22 AM

R560 so pretty much what many of us said was gonna happen all along. The show didn’t exactly keep it a secret. Maybe to YOU, but not to the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 565December 5, 2022 2:23 AM

R561 she didn’t recognize him. He thought it would be a grand moment, like the movies, showing up to meet them, but in reality it was nothing like that. They don’t know him. They don’t care to know him. He’s a stranger to them.

by Anonymousreply 566December 5, 2022 2:24 AM

r556 I meant TANYA I posted that at r552

by Anonymousreply 567December 5, 2022 2:24 AM

Valentina finally got what she longed for and by a pro no less. She can't be charged because Mia told her she'd like to give her a birthday gift. I laughed at the old lady relative when she told the three of them to fuck off. How does one say that in Italian? I missed that subtitle.

by Anonymousreply 568December 5, 2022 2:24 AM

I loved that white dress with the feathers in front, a young woman like that can get away with that style.

by Anonymousreply 569December 5, 2022 2:26 AM

r565, I'm not exactly gobsmacked at the turn of events. This is pretty much what I thought would happen too.

But please don't let me spoil your moment of gloating over your fantasy that you have superior narratological prediction skills.

by Anonymousreply 570December 5, 2022 2:27 AM

Though that dress looked so damn expensive. Where did Mia get that r569.

by Anonymousreply 571December 5, 2022 2:27 AM

I am scared about who the dead body is, even though they have troubles I like all the characters. Maybe the "nephew" would be the most expendable to me.

by Anonymousreply 572December 5, 2022 2:28 AM

[quote] Though that dress looked so damn expensive. Where did Mia get that [R569].

She bought on the shopping spree she and the other girl indulged in on Dominic's credit.

by Anonymousreply 573December 5, 2022 2:28 AM

r571 she may have charged it to Dom's room.

by Anonymousreply 574December 5, 2022 2:29 AM

This week I actually understood a few words that marble mouth Jack was saying.

by Anonymousreply 575December 5, 2022 2:29 AM

R571 are you watching the show? She went on a shopping spree with her friend a few episodes back

by Anonymousreply 576December 5, 2022 2:30 AM

Is Lucia's stalker her pimp or her dealer?

by Anonymousreply 577December 5, 2022 2:30 AM

Portia you dumb ass. It is slowly sinking in there may be trouble.

by Anonymousreply 578December 5, 2022 2:31 AM

While the Italian actor they brought in this episode was gorgeous, they set that guy up. They have Quentin go on about how incredibly well hung he is but the actor is fairly normal down there. Surprised they didn't give him some huge prosthetic.

by Anonymousreply 579December 5, 2022 2:33 AM

I did not find the guy they set her up with that good looking. But I guess compared to Greg he would be.

by Anonymousreply 580December 5, 2022 2:34 AM

He was soft there. He may be a grower

by Anonymousreply 581December 5, 2022 2:34 AM

I realize that Valentina had a crush on the young woman receptionist but when she was told that Rocco is her fiance, she still should have gone with her for a drink. She's a nice person and Valentina could use a friend.

by Anonymousreply 582December 5, 2022 2:38 AM

She wasn't looking for a friend r582! Valentina was trying to bone, instead go out and listen to her talk about her relationship with Rocco? No, her emotionally devasted reaction rang true to me. This is a very lonely person who clearly thought this was her chance to finally experience a romantic moment in her life.

by Anonymousreply 583December 5, 2022 2:44 AM

That broke her heart. Hence her getting a drink alone.

by Anonymousreply 584December 5, 2022 2:44 AM

The seething jealousy and hatred that Ethan feels was well done.

Baby Jane Coolidge was a trip. The stud was sexy.

I find the Greg connection lame.

It seems like Ethan and Albie get shorter and stubbier the more the series goes on.

I was disappointed that Portia didn’t just leave and take an Uber. It’s 2022.

by Anonymousreply 585December 5, 2022 2:47 AM

Portia is broke.

by Anonymousreply 586December 5, 2022 2:49 AM

Link to new thread (thread 5).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587December 5, 2022 2:50 AM

Tanya's outfit and hairstyling tonight was very "Valley of the Dolls"

by Anonymousreply 588December 5, 2022 2:53 AM

The dead body will be.....

Bert.

by Anonymousreply 589December 5, 2022 2:55 AM

Uber actually only launched in Sicily this summer r586. I looked that up earlier because I was curious since they always talk about hiring cars and drivers and no one has mentioned it this season. When they started production in February there was no Uber, Sicily is more behind than I assumed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590December 5, 2022 2:55 AM

Uber isn’t in every city. There are still many places without it.

by Anonymousreply 591December 5, 2022 2:57 AM

Jumping the gun a bit r587, although this thread is moving fast

by Anonymousreply 592December 5, 2022 2:57 AM

----

by Anonymousreply 593December 5, 2022 3:01 AM

Now you're going to blot out the rest of the posts for your new thread?

by Anonymousreply 594December 5, 2022 3:04 AM

God, those are some sad backwaters if there are places in America that still don't even have Uber r591. New meaning to flyover country.

by Anonymousreply 595December 5, 2022 3:05 AM

I think we've all moved on to Thread 5.

by Anonymousreply 596December 5, 2022 3:09 AM

R595 thinks the whole world is super advanced.

Most of it is not, actually. Maybe you should educate yourself and culture yourself and travel.

by Anonymousreply 597December 5, 2022 3:14 AM

I loved all the tension in that scene in the old relatives' home. No idea where it was going. Great comic relief but also quite poignant.

by Anonymousreply 598December 5, 2022 3:17 AM

I would just ignore the crazy who keeps yelling at other posters.

by Anonymousreply 599December 5, 2022 3:17 AM

I swear Jennifer C. looked even bigger tonight than last week.

by Anonymousreply 600December 5, 2022 3:17 AM

Arriverderci!!!

by Anonymousreply 601December 5, 2022 3:18 AM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 602December 5, 2022 3:18 AM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 603December 5, 2022 3:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!