Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rolling Stone: The 100 Greatest TV Theme Songs of All Time

From '70s sitcoms to modern prestige classics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2022 4:58 AM

I don't have a strong opinion about most of these but

(1) Was not a Three's Company fan but it seems low

(2) No Maude?

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2022 4:12 AM

I agree with some of these. Others are a stretch. "Twin Peaks" should be higher up.

But not even one entry from daytime serial dramas? Some of them have had very memorable themes.

And one that should be there is "Pee-wee's Playhouse."

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2022 4:29 AM

The list is missing Maude, Night Court, Barney Miller and Doctor Who. Too many terrible and recent theme songs are listed. As usual this RS list is trash.

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2022 4:30 AM

Young and the restless and Days of our Lives should be on there.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2022 4:31 AM

I’m only halfway through and WKRP and Welcome Back, Kotter are WAY too low. Like R3 said, these RS lists suck.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2022 4:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2022 5:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2022 5:52 AM

AS IF there are 15 songs better than The Rockford Files!

… and Cheers certainly isn’t one of them, I hate that mawkish garbage.

Friends was pathetic. Fuck off!

The Jeffersons was good but Good Times was better.

(I knew I shouldn’t have read a Rolling Stone list, now my blood pressure is up.)

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2022 11:45 AM

No Wonder Woman, no Charlie's Angels???

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2022 11:54 AM

Why is Sarah Geller in that pic? The Buffy theme was awful.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2022 12:26 PM

MTM should have been in the top 10, period.

I get that Phyllis may be a not well known show and may have limited appeal from a 2022 perspective (e.g. only old queens remember it) but MTM, that should have been higher.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2022 2:13 PM

I didn't see any theme songs from other countries. EastEnders (Julia's) theme from composer SImon May? Even Upstairs Downstairs or Downton Abbey.

And nothing from the Spanish-language telenovelas on America TV? That's like a cottage industry for hit singles.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2022 8:11 PM

[quote] I didn't see any theme songs from other countries.

The theme from “Brideshead Revisited” was class.

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2022 9:38 PM

Agree with too many recent shows being on the list, especially when most of the time all they have is some whimsical riff on a xylophone accompanying the title card. "Wandavision"? Seriously?

"Friends" should not have been so high (it makes me want to wretch). "Golden Girls" should have been higher (it's just a better song about friendship, frankly). What? No "Star Trek: The Next Generation"?! At least "Sanford and Son" made it to number three.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2022 9:40 PM

What a load of crap! How the hell is "The Nanny" not in the Top 100?!! In terms of an original theme song , that explains *exactly* what the show is about & sets a tone?!! (not to mention the vintagey-looking animation).

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2022 4:29 AM

No "Maude", "The Nanny" or one that hasn't been mentioned yet, "The Munsters"? " One Day At A Time" is deservedly up there but "Alice" doesn't make the list at all , even with Linda Lavin's annual redos? And "Golden Girls" at a lowly #38? I agree with other posters that waaaaay too many recent series are included, including some on streamers that have literally only aired just one season so far. These get featured but no "I Love Lucy"? While "The Jeffersons" is a good pick for number one, the rest of the list has way too many unacceptable omissions in lieu of unproven trendy bullshit shows.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2022 5:30 AM

Facts of Life???

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2022 5:45 AM

To be including cartoons, they totally missed the mark with no GI Joe or Jem and the Holograms.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2022 5:47 AM

Where was this?? They even did a remake of this, along with Bosom Buddies , also not on there (but I guess that was not considered “original” even tho it sort of was)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2022 6:19 AM

Since they included cartoons. How could they leave the X-Men theme off the list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2022 6:58 AM

Magnum PI should have made the list

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2022 7:43 AM

As well as The Fall Guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2022 7:44 AM

I also forgot to mention, even though I can't stand to watch the show anymore, the theme for The Classic 39 "The Honeymooners" should have been on there. Underneath the shouting announcer, there's a rousing song. I still catch myself humming it, short as it is.

I also want to say: Andy FUCKING Griffith?! I hate that song with the heat of a thousand suns! It makes my skin crawl. In Hell, beneath all the howling of the damned, stench of rot and sulfur, screaming and gnashing of teeth, is this fucking song being whistled over and over, probably now by Andy himself! He's just waiting for little Ronnie to take over. And then hopefully Bryce.

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2022 12:49 PM

Um... No Small Wonder?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2022 2:18 PM

But seriously... No ALICE???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2022 2:22 PM

Knight Rider should have made the list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2022 5:55 PM

I’m surprised A Team didn’t make the list either. What rubbish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 5:59 PM

[quote]MTM should have been in the top 10, period.

I agree - so should The Odd Couple, is it in there anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 6:01 PM

The early 80’s PBS kids show 3 2 1 Contact had the best disco intro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 6:02 PM

Fuck RS and their bullshit ads jamming up the article.

And the stupid commentary…

Just list the damn shows.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 6:07 PM

No That Girl?

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 6:25 PM

Good Times belongs in the top ten.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2022 6:31 PM

This list is a travesty. Good Times and Maude and MTM need to be in the Top 10.

They left off classics like Wonder Woman, Charlie's Angels, Dynasty, The Nanny, Bewtiched. WTF?

Really, they could've saved time and just used this video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2022 1:46 AM

R32 so does Laverne & Shirley

by Anonymousreply 34December 3, 2022 1:47 AM

I'm not reading the list, was The Lone Ranger on it?

by Anonymousreply 35December 3, 2022 2:04 AM

No it fucking wasn't!

by Anonymousreply 36December 3, 2022 3:03 AM

Twin Peaks, Mad Men and even Green Acres too low. Where is Melrose Place. This always got my blood rushing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 3, 2022 3:30 AM

I'm late to this dance and haven't read the posts - the greatest TV theme song ever is Gilligan's Island. It tells the entire story.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2022 3:41 AM

R38, it's #2 on the list (tied with Brady Bunch).

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2022 4:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!